Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

+31
panniapurathar
IsaiRasigan
pmanokaran
BC
al_gates
raagakann
rajkumarc
Sakalakala Vallavar
raja4ever
Wizzy
Raghunaga
vicks
sagi
plum
MH
ravinat
jaiganesh
Raaga_Suresh
sheepChase
mythila
counterpoint
writeface
fring151
rajaclan
V_S
app_engine
Drunkenmunk
kamalaakarsh
kiru
crimson king
Usha
35 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:49 am

crimson king wrote:NOT an IR song but doesn't the second interlude in this hit track off Ae Dil Hai Mushkil evoke Sattru Munbu to some extent?  Pritam probably did it at the insistence of KJo to bring back the flavour of the golden oldies but he, intentionally or not, drew from BSO-IR:

Good to see someone calling this out. I liked this composition when I heard it for the first time and I could see some shades of Raaja's style in the arrangements. The way the strings section was used in this song is one of the strong factors for me. 

Not to take away from Pritam, but a lot of Pritam's compositions off-late got elevated a lot due to arrangements (like songs in Dangal too) and one of the principal roles in arrangements is played by thus guy named Sunny MR - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_M.R. He composed music for some telugu films.  I am just guessing if Sunny MR is a ilayaraja buff!
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 pm

That would be a good explanation indeed. Sunny MR is more likely to have been exposed to BSO-Raja obviously.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Possibly the max-number-of-views for a rAjA song on youtube is for a "self-re-mix" (and I'm not complaining):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWj5knSvC0

(putham pudhukkAlai, mEghA version, 17 million plus views so far)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 pm

app_engine wrote:Possibly the max-number-of-views for a rAjA song on youtube is for a "self-re-mix" (and I'm not complaining):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRWj5knSvC0

(putham pudhukkAlai, mEghA version, 17 million plus views so far)

This is now not such a big surprise for me as it was a year ago when I had attended a  wedding reception where they employed an annoyingly loud music orchestra troupe. As expected, 70% of their songs were from IR . Towards the end of their show, they agreed to repeat 2 songs as requested by the audience!!! They were "100 varusham indha maapillaiyum" and "putham pudhu kaalai" from "Megha", as announced by them . Infact, to my utter surprise, "putham pudhu kaalai" got a rousing "once more" from the audience and it was sung 3 times on that evening. The female lead singer was just mediocre.The less said about the orchestra, the better. I was quipping to my husband - 'idhu dhaan early IR magic'.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  al_gates Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 pm

app_engine wrote:
kiru wrote:oh man .. I did not know Shobha died at 17 !!! She looks more mature in the movies.

aiyO Shocked

I didn't read the article thoroughly and only after your post realized this shocking fact.

---> What do we learn from this? These two posters App_Engine and Kiru are too music-oriented and can't notice the cinematic kisu kisu happening in tfm  Smile

The Shoba episode is covered very nicely by Anita Pratap in the Book ISLAND OF BLOOD - I got this off amazon years back. That book is a classic in investigative journalism and this woman, the best journo India ever produced in either gender IMHO - unwraps several mysteries - the ideologies of LTTE Prabhakaran, the Dec 6 1992 events at Ayodhya, Taliban occupation of Afghanistan and Thackeray's role in 1993 riots.

Onto the Shoba Story - Anitha visited Shoba's parents home a few months after Shoba's passing to put together the pieces. No one is the wiser as to how her life ended up like this. She is unable to get the answers as Shoba's mom Parvati is still in a state of shock thinking her daughter is alive. Lot of insights there in that chapter. So the big question is - did portions of Marupadiyum carry shades of Balu Mahendra's own dynamics with Shoba??

al_gates

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Most Liked Ilaiyaraja Songs இளையராஜா ரசிகர்கள்Facebookல்Twitterல்Youtubeல்அதிகமாக Likeசெய்த பாடல்கள்

yaraga irundhal enna.. elloraiyum list poda vaikum.... Raja padalgal........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erw08gUD74c

Nice Collection..

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Ilaiyaraja Guitar Melody Songs இளையராஜா கிட்டார் மெல்லிசையில் ரசிகர்களை மயக்கிய இனியபாடல் தொகுப்பு

Nalla audio Sound... Nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0EHWBHvWCY

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Usha wrote:Ilaiyaraja Guitar Melody Songs இளையராஜா கிட்டார் மெல்லிசையில் ரசிகர்களை மயக்கிய இனியபாடல் தொகுப்பு

Nalla audio Sound... Nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0EHWBHvWCY

Comment by one "Guitar Ravi" on that youtube page :

Guitar Ravi wrote:
நான் ஒரு  Bass Guitar Musician . நான் இசை கற்று கொள்ளும் போது இளையராஜா பாடல்களை பொதுவாக கேட்பேன் . கற்ற பின் அவருடைய இசையை கேட்டு மலைத்து நின்றேன் . Rhythm , Guitar , Lead Guitar  இசைகளை தொடர்ச்சியாக மெய்சிலிர்த்து கேட்டு கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்....

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:17 am

chinna experience...........

shopping mall.... nalla kootam. anal... orae  oru  line... 2 per dhan.... andha queueil ninren...... anal angae comp prob.......(apadi endru munnadi theriyavilai)
 romba neram anadhu.....

porumaiyaga nindru kondu irundhen. yen endru yosithen...raja songs.....  romba nalla sound quality.... adhu mukiyamae......

sandhana katrae

nananga naan ilali thaayae... ipadi......

orutharukaga.. 40 min achu......  en turn vandhadhu. andha counterai gavanitha andha boy kite sonnen.

"Raja songs.. adhanala porumaiya irundhen. vera kathara paatu sathama irundhu irundha  nanum satham pottu irupen......."
.endru sirithu konde sonnen."
 avanum sirithan...........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Ippirapil enna seidhen.... Ilaiyaraja.

enna oru bhavam.. kuralilum, isai karuvigalilum.... unmaiyana adakamana bhakthi bhavam........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heONiR_v-EQ

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

S Janaki and IR.......

vaarthaigalil, hummingil....... ellam.. IRin compositionai purindhu konda oru singer...........

netru SJ songs.. adhil.. Machana partheengala paatu......... 

IR songs.. oru minnal pola... theriyadha sila vishayam.. manadhuku theriyum....... acharyamana neram adhu........

Machana partheengala.

pacha pulla pol...... idhil onnum acharyam ilai......

kal ya nam pe si
kan dan gi se lai.....

than dha ka 
enn na
maten na sol ven

ipadi padum SJ in styleil......  IR unarndha SJ ai naan unarthen. ithanai varudam kazhithu.............

narumana malargalin

unusual instrumentationdhan.. Unuusal singing dhan.......... indha paatu..

SJ.. epodhum IRin thalathai gavanithu.. vaarthaiyai padugirar......... amazing.......

IRin thalamum thalathudan padum  SJum...... really Great........... so sweet..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM765ivHEGM

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Traveled (virtually) around India on a music trip Smile Listened so much music in the last few months, of course by constant searching. Got really good playlists to play. Really surprised there is much more to listen from others. There were big hiccups too in the form of bigger music stars, but small vendors doing phenomenal job. Especially மலையாள கரையோரம் and Hindi. It was a wonderful music trip. Finally arrived home. Nothing like it. This is something else, way beyond imagination or beyond words. சோளம் வெதக்கையிலே சொல்லிப்புட்டு போன புள்ளயோ , புன்னமி பூவ்வையோ  கேட்டால்தான் மனதுக்கு ஆறுதல்,நிம்மதி எல்லாமே. எங்க போனாலும் வீட்டுக்கு வந்து அம்மா கையால சாப்பிட்டாதான் மன திருப்தி இல்லையா?

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm

V_S wrote:Traveled (virtually) around India on a music trip Smile Listened so much music in the last few months, of course by constant searching. Got really good playlists to play. Really surprised there is much more to listen from others. There were big hiccups too in the form of bigger music stars, but small vendors doing phenomenal job. Especially மலையாள கரையோரம் and Hindi. It was a wonderful music trip. Finally arrived home. Nothing like it. This is something else, way beyond imagination or beyond words. சோளம் வெதக்கையிலே சொல்லிப்புட்டு போன புள்ளயோ , புன்னமி பூவ்வையோ  கேட்டால்தான் மனதுக்கு ஆறுதல்,நிம்மதி எல்லாமே. எங்க போனாலும் வீட்டுக்கு வந்து அம்மா கையால சாப்பிட்டாதான் மன திருப்தி இல்லையா?

amma kai sappadu........ romba nejam........

adhudhanae nativity.... namma adaiyalam......... namma adaiyalam. adhai respect seiyanam.......... adhu dhan namaku azhagu......... adhai pola
than raja songs. namm mann. nammin adaiyalam......... unmaiyana adaiyalam.............

village brought up naan. adhanal.. IR's folk songs. always pleasing to my heart.....

solam vedhaikiyille...... IR voice.. first endru ninaikiren...... ooril.. kaylanam, maariyamman pandigai.. indha padam olichithiram vaipargal.. indha paatudan
arambikum....... andha chorus. kaeta acharyam.. indrum adhu manadhil thodargiradhu.. adhu dhanae IR.........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 am

V_S, Usha , I think it is just not nativity in the man's music that attracts us .. I think he literally has given a piece of his soul to every song he composes. He even mentions in this context of a devotional song, but it can be felt in film songs too. Yesterday, at Ravi's prompting, I listened to two versions of kannukkoru vanna kiLi song - unnai naan parkaiyil. I then moved on to kannukku mai ezhudhu. I was completely moved by vanna pooVe neeyagavum. Thats when I realized that you can see IR in every song of his, but this is not the truth in other composers's works .. even with oscar winning Rahman's. Some how the team work may provide innovation .. but not emotion.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:57 pm

kiru wrote:Some how the team work may provide innovation .. but not emotion.
Bang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Last evening I was pleasantly surprised by a song on Maestro app's radio.

A song that I've not heard in years Embarassed One that was a personal favorite during college days.

Interestingly, I didn't even consider giving the song a listen when doing the "hit catalog" for 1984...this could have been included had I not dismissed reading the song name on the spreadsheet Sad

Anyways, this is one of the handful of songs that IR gave to UR during 80's and most of them became very popular. This one a duet with MV.

kAdhil kEttadhu oru pAttu from anbE Odi vA

Here is a ok quality audio-only youtube, with no video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpx_hN_vpFE

Interesting to note that the uploader is "Agi music" Wink

Well, here is the video (audio is bad - only mono) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCCXMaaTB4

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am

varadhu vandha nayagan

paatai epodhu kaetalum..mudhal dharam kaeta andha  acharyam maaradhu.........

first time kaetadhu... 

kalyanam agi vandhen.... vaakka pattu vandha ooril.. radio station kidaiyadhu.. tamil paatukum chance ilai.

paatu kaetkavum.. tape recorder kidaiyadhu....... paatu illamal.. pala madhangal ponadhu......... manadhi.. edho paalaivanathuku
vandha feelings. nalla oor. ellam kidaikum. paatukae vazhi ilai. Tamil paatu.  IR songs.illamal. romaba sogam manadhuku...

engal theruvil.. kadaisiyil.. oru tea shop vandhadhu....... apodhu enga areavil.. vandi satham edhuvum ilamal.. romba amaidhiyana
idamaga irundhadhu...........

andha tea shop arambithu sila.. varangal kazhithu.......... paatu............ IR songs..... sandhoshathirku varthai ilai........

kaeta mudhal paatu..........  Varadhu vandha nayagan.....

paatai kaetu kondae.. romba speed aga veetu velai ellam seidhu mudithu vitten.......

andha evening..... husband udan.. kovil sendren.. kovil vasalil.. avarudaiya friend. nalla set vaithu irupar.. pudhu paatu
IR padam edhu vandhalum.. paatu kaeka veetuku vango endru kupiduvar. husbandin IR asai patri nangu theiryum.......
andrum kupitar.. veetuku ponom. friend avarin manaivi nangal endru paatu kaetom. indha paatai vaithar.

udane naan sandhoshathil.. indha paatai inniki than tea kadaiyil vaithu kaeten endren........

idhu oru time..... piragu sila madhangalil. epodhu sonnalum..yaridamum.. IR paatu. Tea shopil kaeten endra unmaiyudan solla 
arambithen...
(hubby oru naal.. epodhum ipadi yen tea kadai endru solgirai. paatai kaeten endru matum sollen...... naan sonnen."nammidam
paatu kaeta system ilai. apodhu epadi nambuvargal.. adhanal dhan ipadi sonnen. )aparam hubby ennai ondrum sollavilalidhan....... Very Happy

andha tea kadaiyin sound system.. romba araumaiyana ondru.. indha paatai epodhu kaetalum. manadhil andha sound quality
nyabagam varum.......... adhu dhanae IR songs.

about the song......... amanusyamana orchestration.... Instrumentation.................. 

stanzavil.. dreamkaga lift agum interludes.....land agum azhagu...... Sorgam....... Great one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HnGr2UFIg

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 pm

இந்தப்பாட்டை முன்னமே கேட்டிருக்கிறேனா என்று நினைவில்லை - இருக்கலாம் என்றாலும்  நினைவில் தங்குமளவுக்கு உன்னிப்பாக இல்லை என்பது உறுதி!

மனோ-ஸ்வர்ணலதா டூயட் ; அவ்வளவாக உவப்பில்லாத கூட்டணி என்பதும் காரணமாக இருக்கலாம். 1993-ல் வேறு பலவற்றில் ஆழ்ந்திருந்தது இதைக்கேட்கும் நிலையை அளிக்காமல் இருந்திருக்கலாம்.

என்றாலும், ஒரே நாளில் இன்று இருமுறை raajafm.com-ல் கேட்க நேர்ந்தது.

அதிலும் இரண்டாம் முறை கேட்கையில் வண்டி நகர முடியாமல் மாட்டிக்கொண்ட போக்குவரத்து நிலை! அப்படியாக, உன்னிப்பாகக் கேட்க நேர்ந்தது Smile

நல்ல ஒலித்தரத்தில்!

ஆஹா, அந்த சரணத்தின் முடிவில் ட்ரம்ஸை வைத்து ஒரு சுழற்று!
(சிந்த் என்ற எரிச்சல் முழுநீளம் இருந்தாலும், இந்த ஒரே அடியில் நம்மை அடித்து நொறுக்கும் வன்மை!)

வரும் நாட்களில் இந்தப்பாட்டை மீண்டும் மீண்டும் கேட்டுத்தள்ள வழியிருக்கிறது.

அன்பே வா (தர்மசீலன்)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtNuBvWQd8

#IR_Official_YT - for better quality audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksFNYSBEsgs

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:01 pm

paaruruvaaya ..
Thiruvasagam it is -
This song should have been in swappnam.
Today I heard this on loop for 3 times on the drive(Yes my drive is long) to work.
It is a devastating song in that it mutes you totally. Even if you are singing along with it,
 when it reaches peaks like 'என்னையும் உய்ய கொண்டருளே' or 'முதல்வனே முறையோ?' or 'இனிப்பிரிந்தாற்றேனே!'
you know you can scale the notes, but the core emotion that is in the song as enunciated beautifully
 by sathyaprakash and that gem of a singer 'surmukhi' is irreplicable. 
Usually Raaja is not the one who adds needless preamble sounds in a song.
In this song, he introduces a 'weird' 'out of tune' (abaswara) string plucking denoting the aberration that this song is 
dramatically placed. Meaning of the song is about "inseparable' longing to be united with the object of affection (divine),
however in contrary to the meaning, the lead characters are getting separated forever, there cannot be any more irony that could 
be sought or conjured up. However as the director is Bala, one has come to expect this in scheme of things.
The padhigam is relatively short, but the contrarian (or to paraphrase maniacs, Orthagonal) placement of its meaning in the drama 
is a bold artistic step. Leaving all these aside, the tune, the arrangements and the interludes are all 'devastatingly beautiful' or 'beautifully devastating'.
when surmukhi goes "முத்தனையானே மணியனையானே, முதல்வனே முறையோ", all air has been sucked out of the car and a silence is all that can be offered in repartee.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 9 Empty bhagyadaa baLegaara

Post  jaiganesh Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 am

This is an achievement in song construction.
It is poetic and earthy. Constructed as a "Question and Answer" sequences.
The protagonist (male voice sung by Tippu) is a bangle seller (remember MGR in padagoatti climax) who is asked by some random lady
 to convey her well being to her parents (kannada word is one of my favourite தவரிகே - தபரிகே - தவர மனே - Charu hasan won his national 
award for the movie tabarane kathe). 
So she asks this by giving an instruction 
O' bangle seller please visit my parents' house (Bhagyadaa baLegaara hogi baa nan thabarige)
The bangle seller accedes, but doesnt know the way (ninna thabarooraa naanEno ballenO)
The rest of the song is all about the lady giving landmarks and directions to him.
When all fails, she mentions about an old lady playing dice in the courtyard and that is her granny. (HaLethauvva)
நட்டா நடுவே பகடையா ஆடுதாளே!
அவளே காணு 
நன்னா ஹளெதவ்வா!
அவளிருவுதே நன்னா மனே நன்னா மனே!

after this detail is provided, the bangle seller says
' நின்னா தவரூரா நானீகா பல்லெனு '
Now I know your mother's house!

This is how we were as people! People were landmarks and Raaja must have been bowled over by this 
and it reflects in his mellow arrangement and interludes.. Definitely a song to hold on to and listen many times over
This is a traditional song and it has been retuned by Maestro..
Here is one sample of the folk song --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ii1XEOaD1E
And this is the retuned version in the movie.. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSFp38_v2g

The retune keeps the soul of the original while bringing out maestro's special touch..
Whenever this song plays, I cant help but play it back again. It brings the smell of India long lost no matter where I am.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Found this superb enhanced version of Innum Ennai Enna Seiya.  Semma bass, adhurardhu in the beginning.  Wish I still had my old 5.1 system, would have been incredible with the woofer.  It's a long time ago but I don't think the sound was like this when I watched the film back in 92 at Udhayam.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 am

Now that CK mentions sound quality .. My kids broke my speakers.. so I am listening on headphones as a temporary arrangement..
I am mighty impressed about the detail that could be retrieved out of many IR albums which I thought were badly engineered.
Here is my setup -
Macbook -> JRiver (44.1Khz upsampled to 352Khz) -> Audioquest Jitterbug ->Wireworld Ultraviolet USB -> IfI Nano iDSD -> upgraded headphone cable  -> AKG K20 MkII
I highly recommend any of the components in the above chain. Vinod tipped me about the ifi 2 or 3 years ago itself.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:49 pm

kiru wrote:Now that CK mentions sound quality .. My kids broke my speakers.. so I am listening on headphones as a temporary arrangement..
I am mighty impressed about the detail that could be retrieved out of many IR albums which I thought were badly engineered.
Here is my setup -
Macbook -> JRiver (44.1Khz upsampled to 352Khz) -> Audioquest Jitterbug ->Wireworld Ultraviolet USB -> IfI Nano iDSD -> upgraded headphone cable  -> AKG K20 MkII
I highly recommend any of the components in the above chain. Vinod tipped me about the ifi 2 or 3 years ago itself.
Curious which albums you had in mind.  Not only IR, most music sounds better from the perspective of detail on earphones.  But as such I too have never had a problem with detail when it comes to IR recordings, more that the sound is thin which can't be helped as he has to make do with what limited facilities we have here.  I think it was sureshkumar (backgroundscore.com guy) who said he found NEPV too dense (which it is not imo).  I think NEPV and Megha are world class recordings which isn't very surprising given where they were recorded.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:54 pm

JRiver (44.1Khz upsampled to 352Khz)

If you are into upsampling and have a Windows PC to fool around check out Hiroyuki's 'Bughead Emperor player', he basically spent his whole life writing the code and had fundamentally changed the game on upsampling  . not a run of the mill
player given lousy gui but the results are to be heard to be believed.  

http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/

current version needs AVX2 compatible processor/
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 am

Wizzy wrote:
JRiver (44.1Khz upsampled to 352Khz)

If you are into upsampling and have a Windows PC to fool around check out Hiroyuki's 'Bughead Emperor player', he basically spent his whole life writing the code and had fundamentally changed the game on upsampling  . not a run of the mill
player given lousy gui but the results are to be heard to be believed.  

http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/

current version needs AVX2 compatible processor/

Thanks  Wizzy, earlier on my main system I was not happy with upsampling (but only upto 176KHz).  But with these USB DAC+Headphone it seems to make a positive difference. Either must be something to do with the USB communication or upsampling algorithms have improved in the latest version of JRiver.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next