Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

+31
panniapurathar
IsaiRasigan
pmanokaran
BC
al_gates
raagakann
rajkumarc
Sakalakala Vallavar
raja4ever
Wizzy
Raghunaga
vicks
sagi
plum
MH
ravinat
jaiganesh
Raaga_Suresh
sheepChase
mythila
counterpoint
writeface
fring151
rajaclan
V_S
app_engine
Drunkenmunk
kamalaakarsh
kiru
crimson king
Usha
35 posters

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:40 pm

crimson king wrote:Yeah, I can relate to the 'idea' behind using a very simple, basic beat for Konji Konji because it is a low level stage band accompanying an amateur artist for a song they have never heard. I just wish the volume of the drums had been toned down; as it stands, it's rather intrusive.  But a great melody, though not of a level comparable to Kangallukul Unnai Ezudhu.   I shared this song with my musician friend and he said he will get back to me after analysing THAT switch as we get into the charanam.  If he decides to analyse a song, it means he is really impressed because he is at a level where he would catch onto superficially obvious things after a casual listen.
Please do share with us what your friend thinks of this song's musicality and indeed, that switch in the charanam is stupendous and S Janaki is outstanding.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  crimson king Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:46 pm

I checked out the briga at alaipol modhum ninaivu in the pallavi reprise after first charanam.  It's damn tough.  I am sure a trained singer can execute it, but I would have to practice it several times before I could sing it correctly.  SJ is simply outstanding in a very technical song.  

I will def share what he says, if and when he does.  He is kind of absent minded in the sense he will get occupied with other things and completely forget he meant to analyse this song, so it's possible nothing may transpire out of this.  But if he does get back, I will repeat back his analysis.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:13 pm

crimson king wrote:I checked out the briga at alaipol modhum ninaivu in the pallavi reprise after first charanam.  It's damn tough.  I am sure a trained singer can execute it, but I would have to practice it several times before I could sing it correctly.  SJ is simply outstanding in a very technical song.  

I will def share what he says, if and when he does.  He is kind of absent minded in the sense he will get occupied with other things and completely forget he meant to analyse this song, so it's possible nothing may transpire out of this.  But if he does get back, I will repeat back his analysis.
Sure. To me, in addition to all this, just at a purely lay level, the tunesmithing in the charanam transports me to a meditative state; maintaining the tension all along. Beyond words.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Yup, nailed it.  Charanam is just incredible.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:48 am

"kaNgaLukkul unnai ezhudhu" is a discovery for me few years back. What impressed me the most is the light weight "Grahabedham" between the pallavi in Amruthavarshini and the charanam in "PanthuvarALi". Infact we can observe this transition in the last bit of the interludes itself, before even the first charanam begins. In the case of the 2nd interludes, its sort of 50-50 division between the 2 scales. I always wait for this transition and the descent back to pallavi with bated breath Smile

Last edited by mythila on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:56 am

Did speculate about the raagam with my friend, noting that I hear both Amrutavarshini and Panthuvarali.  So I didn't do too badly for a Carnatic nyaanasoozhi.  Yes, the last note of the interlude sets in motion the transition.  In the second interlude, he starts leaning towards panthuvarali formation early on so that the transition feels much smoother.  Trust IR to take such heavily Carnatic melodic treatment and marry it to kickass rock beats! Love the growling riffs in the charanam too, a trademark of his music at the time (also used in Gundu Onnu Vachchuruken).

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:44 am

crimson king wrote: Yes, the last note of the interlude sets in motion the transition.  In the second interlude, he starts leaning towards panthuvarali formation early on so that the transition feels much smoother. 
That is why for a first time listener, this unexpected transition soon after the first interlude is bound to knocl her/him off. May be Raja gives a pole vault effect at the end of the first interlude to leap to PanthuvarALi andthen  do a smooth sailing for the 2nd interlude.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:27 am

Definitely.  It's an intended surprise effect, catching the listener unawares. As I mentioned above, even my friend noted it and said he would analyse it and get back because it must have caught his attention. Having already achieved that effect, he can opt for a smoother treatment in the second interlude.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:43 pm

alai pol modhum ninaivu........   4 time varugiradhu endru ninaikiren......  Carnatic singerin style madhiri.. film song il oru vaarthaiyai...

veru veru expression il ... romba azhaga paadi irupar SJ........  yarum idhu pola seidhadhu ilai......... 

kangalukul unnai ezhudhu..  nenjammelam undhan ninaivu....... pagalil edho kanavu...... indha varigalum.. vidham vidhamana expression udan.. 

ovovoru vaarthaikum SJ in Gamakam...  Something Special..............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Raghunaga Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:09 am

Hi All.

I am a regular visitor to this site and in the project of collecting super 1000 songs of Ilayaraja Tamil songs.

I added many to my list by visiting various blogs in this site.

Thanks to all for your excellent commentary and analysis - particularly about the interludes. ( I refer that as mood changers to my family and friends). I am amazed that there are many knowledgeable fanatics around the world.

By the way, I am not getting audio link for 'En Gaanam Inru arangaerum' song from Eera vizhi kaaviyangal for download.

Can any one help me?

Thanks

Raghu Nagarajan

Raghunaga

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 am

Raghunaga wrote:
By the way, I am not getting audio link for 'En Gaanam Inru arangaerum' song from Eera vizhi kaaviyangal for download.

Can any one help me?

Thanks

Raghu Nagarajan

Welcome to the forum!

You can try this link

Got from this page:
http://www.mayuren.org/site/mayurengorg/1Tamil/Movie%20A%20-%20Z%20Collection/E/EERA%20VIZHI%20KAAVIYANGAL

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raghunaga Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:06 am

Thanks App. Smile

Raghu

Raghunaga

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:05 am

Was listening to this on Spotify/Shuffle play - 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTntTBuDYHU 
what an impressive humming/harmony work in this song !!!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Raghunaga Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:36 am

Hi.

I come across one more album today.

Not sure whether this was covered in any of your threads.

Kaadhal Geetham - lyrics by VM - Karthik & Shobana acted in the film. Tune of Andharangam Yaavumae song used in one of the songs.

I try to view video songs, but there is nothing.

Regards

Raghu

Raghunaga

Back to top Go down

Post  Raghunaga Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:19 am

Hi

I noticed that the film I referred earlier got covered in another thread (Vinyl...)

Regards

Raghu

Raghunaga

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 pm

kiru wrote:Was listening to this on Spotify/Shuffle play - 

posting this for posterity Very Happy  raja4ever's extended bass version is a must listen, especially the prelude :goosebumpity:

https://soundcloud.com/raja4ever/ponnoviyamkandaenamma
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:02 pm

Wizzy wrote:

posting this for posterity Very Happy  raja4ever's extended bass version is a must listen, especially the prelude :goosebumpity:

Humble brag.

இதை வெளிகொணர்ந்தது from raja4ever (mudhal mariyAdhai to him); in his description there:

"From Kazhugu; As requested by @_DrunkenmunkRazz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:34 am

A place of treasures on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVlWr_LN9y80smEMr0KTBOA/videos

#IR_Official_YT

Some 100 hit TF albums of IR with decent sound quality!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Humble brag.

'humble' credits to Munk   Smile

Some 100 hit TF albums of IR with decent sound quality

pleasantly surprised by the quality, wish they showed some love to his other language releases.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:31 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:
Wizzy wrote:

Humble brag.

இதை வெளிகொணர்ந்தது from raja4ever (mudhal mariyAdhai to him); in his description there:

I love you guys  Very Happy
That raja4ever/Vinod can escape to heaven in his self-built audio room. I envy that dude  Smile

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:38 am

my daily driver currently, glad they didn't stick only to 80s,  must be quite a struggle to pigeonhole Malligai Maalai Katti/Thaayundu Thanthai undu/Enna Enna Kanavu to a genre, can't be brushed aside easily as pathos/nenju nakki songs..outside of Raaja/TFM doubt anyother MD/music industry dabbles with these kind of songs.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 am

wizzy.. these are.. in short "Raajaa pour himself into" genre songs.
SDB did some jolting stuff in 50s(handful) MSV did a few.. but none like this.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Happened to listen to "how to name it" in an unusual setting (when waiting at a pharmacy to get prescription, browsing thru the facebook TL - in a video shared by a friend):
https://www.facebook.com/DailyIndianHeraldnews/videos/393277177499251

I'm not sure if some IRF edited the video to suit HTNI or the other way around (that HTNI was used by the original video editor as the BGM)...

In any case, HTNI is such an unique piece that it can serve as BGM for a variety of situations! Without making any modification, it can be used for movie scenes / commercials / documentaries etc

Only-IR-possible kind of piece!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:07 pm

சொல்ல வேண்டிய ஒன்று - அந்த விடியோ பார்க்கையில் கண்கள் குளமானது Embarassed

எந்த ஒரு இறப்பும் அதற்கான மற்றவர்களின் கதறலும் நம்மை அசைக்கவே செய்யும். 

அதிலும் இப்படி ஒரு பின்னணி இசை ஒலித்தால் மனம் உணர்ச்சிவசப்படுவது இயல்பே! 
(எம்ஜிஆர் மீது மரியாதை இருந்தாலும் இல்லாவிட்டாலும்)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:48 am

kiru wrote:
Drunkenmunk wrote:
Wizzy wrote:

Humble brag.

I love you guys  Very Happy
That raja4ever/Vinod can escape to heaven in his self-built audio room. I envy that dude  Smile
Hi Kiru.. If you happen to visit midwest, let me know. I can arrange for an escape to heaven for you as well ... Very Happy

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next