Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 Empty Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  kv Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Mudhal mariyadhai to Raaja, to this new place and its creator!   cheers

Eh kili irukku pazham irukku
Folk - simple, authentic, fun, rustic and infectious!
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  V_S Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Wow! Thanks KV for signing in. All credit to grouch.
What a great composition to start with! yes, infectious, the singing is top class. Instruments used in this song sounds very native to the area. Since the time when I listened to this soundtrack first time during my school days till today, this soundtrack has never looked old, it was as if composed today. Freshness to the core!

I recently stumbled upon another folk masterpiece Poo Nilavonnu from Kizhakkum Merkum. Free flowing tune with some great arrangements. Please hear it in thiraipaadal.
//Somehow the forum is not allowing to post links for first 7 days.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 Empty On Kanakku thaan thappaachamma from Raja Kaiyya vechcha

Post  jaiganesh Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Now this is a typical situation - hero "kindaling"(teasing - yeah - we indian males harbor typical wet dreams of teasing the girl we covet at the max.. ;-)) the heroine. So the song begins in a typical folk fashion for the first two lines..
"On kanakku thaan thappaachamma
En kanakkil dhaan thappedhamma"
But from line 3 it moves into jazz and blues
"rajjaavun mela aaa kaiyyaa vechchaaa aaah"
listen to the guitar that signals this shift.
And then as if some one turned the lights on in a dark room, the song goes into qawwali mode and then
back to folk and then suddenly to Rock and roll with
"Aaththi aththippooo" sung fast and neat by surprisingly chirpy Mano who seems to have caught the tiger's tail pretty tight.

I am glad that ILaiyaraaja decided to become a music composer - imagine the ride if he had become a 'roller coaster' designer (pretty scary)..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  V_S Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:53 pm

VaangO Jai. Welcome! Beautiful song to start with, from Raja kayya vechcha. UngaL sEvai thodarattum.Smile
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

just listening to 'Manikkuyil isaikkudhadi" from thanga manasukkaaran (namma raasa pola).
The second interlude suddenly launches into a gush that reminds one of the awesome first interlude of 'thangaaLiyalli' and i had goose flesh all over me... Mano was the destroyer in chief again - It called out for SPB for the 'Manamadhil mayangudhadi' part.
barring that the song is a delight.. hearing it after a long long time.. hope suresh includes it in his '90s raja' writeup..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm

jaiganesh wrote:hope suresh includes it in his '90s raja' writeup..

அவர் ரொம்ப பிசியா இருக்காருன்னு நெனைக்கிறேன்.

மேலும் அவர் இங்க எழுதுவாரா இல்லை அங்கேயே தொடர்வாரா என்பதும் தெரியாது Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

let me take the risk of venturing into tuitter.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 Empty Ullen Ayya

Post  Raaga_Suresh Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 pm

This is to say that I have registered and I am very much here. Just that things are hectic here. This weekend also looks packed. So maybe from Monday will start contributing. I am planning to get the 90s series here and continue from where I left there.

BTW, I have left my chikan65 avatar there. It will be my twitter handle here Very Happy

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 pm

வாங்க சுரேஷ்ஜி!

நல்வரவு!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 am

kannammaa kaadhal enum kavidhai solladi..
The perfect song .
A big load of why it is perfect is because of the lead singer (someone called ilaiyaraaja).
This is an ageless voice - the emotions the voice carries is the right bridge between the awesome music and fantastic lyrics..
Raaja with Janaki - what a pair they are - second only to SPB and janaki.
this is one song that can make any listener crazy addict for the rest of their life..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 am

After seeing Canada concert promos on Vijay TV, I can't stop listening to Pottu Vaitha from Idhayam. Such a heart warming song with some unexplainable feeling. After seeing the film, I believe everyone will want to fall in love. How many times we would have cried for the film's BGM? Where are such films now and where are such songs today?
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

Rediscovering this song. You guys are better in describing it; been looping since yesterday. One more for the baby...

Admin
Admin

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I have been continuously listening to this beauty after Rex had posted one of this interlude in his quiz. One of P Susheela's best song. Totally out of her comfort zone.The way she ends the anu-pallavi, ahA arputham!

nilavu naeram iravu kaayum
vaanilae aayiram veLLi
vaadudhu malligaip paLLi ingae
avanai azaiththaen vaaraanO..haa

Terrific interludes, three of them. Sax going bonkers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKF1KLnpoE
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

v_sji, this one's a terrific song! I haven't heard the thamizh version so far but the gult version is there on my playlist. (Which one's the original and which dub? V_S, plum, suresh, evvaraina cheppandi.) The guitar and bass work in this song is godawesome and boy, those killer interludes, that's raasa in kaattumirandi mode! That little transition in the basslines at the end of the charanams just before she starts 'prEma bEram', the takeoff (along with the rap portion) in the 3rd interlude and the slide towards its end.. too many gooseflesh moments!
Not a single Indian composer I've listened to so far, across languages and time periods, has written basslines like this man. The beauty, variety and depth in ideas, nobody comes anywhere close to him in this dept, in my books. And that bassie in Raaja's orchestra, one bloody blessed soul I tell ya!

Telugu version: prEma bEram theerchi nEram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJA6js36B6w
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes killer bass tracks! I believe these would have been played by Sada/Sashee sir. The problem is people take all this for granted and just conclude him as he knows western classical and folk. Is that it? Only question one might ask is, what he does not master(not even know)? If you just take these club songs, it might fill you for days. Starting from Vaa NaaLukku NaaL, Aadalil Paadalil, Mayakkama, Solla Solla, Adi Rani Mangamma, Disco King, Disco Song, Baby O Baby, Pala Raathri, Kholapurase, PaattengE and the list goes on. Even in this 'club genre, we can see the variety, depth (as you said).

Thamizh version is original as it is from Annai Oor Aalayam (DEvar films, Rajinikanth starrer) which was dubbed into Telugu as Amma Evarikaina Amma which had the song you mentioned. May be both released at the same time.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Absolutely! Thanks to finders keepers for 'solla solla' we got to listen to a good number of such club songs in great audio quality. Wish they release more compilations of Raaja.

#Nowplaying: 'vEl muruganukku mottai' from 'puyal paadum paattu'. super freaky!
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2991'&lang=en
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes thanks to finders keepers and Bombay Connection for another compilation soundtrack 'Fire Power - Synth Pop songs of Ilaiyaraaja'. I believe you have it (uploaded sometime back).
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

#Nowplaying: 'vEl muruganukku mottai' from 'puyal paadum paattu'. super freaky!
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2991'&lang=en
Regular in my playlist. Yes, freaky funky max. Relentless guitar awesomeness and Malaysia Annan is da man

Last song: Pichai paathiram (mind voice playing Madhu B version), going to listen to Swamigal version now. Totally f-ed up day on all possible fronts. Rasaiyyan isai thunai amen :auu:

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Virumaandi album. The sheer f-ing brilliance of this album. Lost on our music lovezhs. Avan avan seidha vinai

P.S: What courage from both these guys. Tremendous trust as well (or leap of faith )

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Was travelling back home from airport today in a Call Taxi. Radiola orE Raja pAttA pOikittirundhudhu. Driver seemed to be intently listening. nAn oNNum pEsalai. After a basket of Raja songs, suddenly tehre was a "enakkena piRandhava" slipped in. Driver immediately changed the channel - after keeping him in observation till then, immediately I recognized that ivan namma paya Laughing and asked

Me: ninga ilayaraja fanA
Him: (full of smile and happiness) AmAm saar. avar pAttu dhAn saar manasuku idhamA irukkum
(The mean streak in me was still suspicious - wanted to test him further. oru vElai idhamana pAttu rasiganO, without any discernment in music appreciation)
Me:appO En Raja pAttai mAththinInga
Him: endha pAttu saar? Rolling Eyes
Me: ippO mAthiningale "enakkena pirandhava"
Him: illai saar, adhu avar pAttu mAdhri illai
Me: illainga adhu RAja pAttu dhAN. idhukku munnAdi kEttadhillaiyA? enna padam theriyumA? Prabu padam. K Balu eduthadhu. avarukku eppOvumE Raja dhAn music
Him: illai saar kEttadhillai but adhu avar pAttu mAdhiri illai saar
Me: oh appO theriyAmalE Raja pAttu illainu mudivu paNNittIngaLA?
Him: ennamO saar, enakku apdi thONuchu.
Me: edhai vechu solRInga Raja pAttillainu?
Him: adhellAM enakku theriyAdhu saar. nAn oru pAmaran, sAdharaNa rasigan enakku adhu Raja saar pattu madhiri thONAlai

Me: (Triumphantly) nee rasigEndA! indha pidi aayiram poRkAsugaL!

The reason I am quoting this is in that forum, we are used to certian political beings claiming to be pAmarans and therefore unable to distinguish Deva and Raja. (basically they have an agenda to promote non-IR and use the pAmaran label for that). And here was a man who has no musical pretense but is able to still identify the Raja signature and calling himself a pAmaran.

I think this is what is true rasippu thanmai. The ability to atleast identify your taste in your heart even if you are not able to articulate it. It also speaks about how Raja's music speaks to hearts of people. evLO Rajavai uL vAngi irundhA, andha isai ilakkaNam theriyadha sAdhAraNA rasigan avLO accurateA annappaRavai pOla paguthaRiya mudium?

Shouldnt our web aaivekkadus who claim to be unable to differentiate between Deva and RAja be ashamed of themselves? And on top of that stelaing the pAmaran label for themselves. Basically, to me this guy is a proper pAmara isai rasigan. He doesnt know music grammar but he is an ordinary pAmara rasigan who knows exactly what he appreciates.

endha music perusungaradhu mukkiyam illai. rasippula oru underlying ability to discerrn vENum. One cannot hide under the pOrvai of pAmaran and use that to justify lack of discerning and lack of discrimination.

What a wonderful night! Tried to tip that feller extra. He refused it.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 pm

The thing that I am specifically referring here is the rebuttal I usually get to saying that it is alway spossible to differentiat ebetweeen IR and cheap quality imitations of IR. THey say "But Plum you are a hard core fan of IR and a meesical so you can differentiate but we pAmarans cannot differntiate that much".

My message to thosee folks is "no you arent the pAmara rasigan. YOu arent even a isai rasigan. A true pAmara rasigan is like that call taxi driver, who can differentiate an ddiscern even though he cannot articulate. Dont even try to call yourself pAmara rasigan or even rasigan"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Plum,
Nach! cheers Nicely articulated. Really enjoyed reading it. Happy for him. I can relate to many of my friends like this back in my town who can clearly distinguish between IR and DEva within a second. kEtta udanE solliduvaanga.

plum wrote:
Him: adhellAM enakku theriyAdhu saar. nAn oru pAmaran, sAdharaNa rasigan enakku adhu Raja saar pattu madhiri thONAlai

Coming to the point, avara congratulate panneengaLa. Andha paattu DEva thaan'nu sonneengaLa? Smile
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:43 am

plum wrote:Was travelling back home from airport today in a Call Taxi. Radiola orE Raja pAttA pOikittirundhudhu. Driver seemed to be intently listening. nAn oNNum pEsalai. After a basket of Raja songs, suddenly tehre was a "enakkena piRandhava" slipped in. Driver immediately changed the channel - after keeping him in observation till then, immediately I recognized that ivan namma paya Laughing and asked

Me: ninga ilayaraja fanA
Him: (full of smile and happiness) AmAm saar. avar pAttu dhAn saar manasuku idhamA irukkum
(The mean streak in me was still suspicious - wanted to test him further. oru vElai idhamana pAttu rasiganO, without any discernment in music appreciation)
Me:appO En Raja pAttai mAththinInga
Him: endha pAttu saar? Rolling Eyes
Me: ippO mAthiningale "enakkena pirandhava"
Him: illai saar, adhu avar pAttu mAdhri illai
Me: illainga adhu RAja pAttu dhAN. idhukku munnAdi kEttadhillaiyA? enna padam theriyumA? Prabu padam. K Balu eduthadhu. avarukku eppOvumE Raja dhAn music
Him: illai saar kEttadhillai but adhu avar pAttu mAdhiri illai saar
Me: oh appO theriyAmalE Raja pAttu illainu mudivu paNNittIngaLA?
Him: ennamO saar, enakku apdi thONuchu.

The reason I am quoting this is in that forum, we are used to certian political beings claiming to be pAmarans and therefore unable to distinguish Deva and Raja. (basically they have an agenda to promote non-IR and use the pAmaran label for that). And here was a man who has no musical pretense but is able to still identify the Raja signature and calling himself a pAmaran.

I think this is what is true rasippu thanmai. The ability to atleast identify your taste in your heart even if you are not able to articulate it. It also speaks about how Raja's music speaks to hearts of people. evLO Rajavai uL vAngi irundhA, andha isai ilakkaNam theriyadha sAdhAraNA rasigan avLO accurateA annappaRavai pOla paguthaRiya mudium?

Shouldnt our web aaivekkadus who claim to be unable to differentiate between Deva and RAja be ashamed of themselves? And on top of that stelaing the pAmaran label for themselves. Basically, to me this guy is a proper pAmara isai rasigan. He doesnt know music grammar but he is an ordinary pAmara rasigan who knows exactly what he appreciates.

endha music perusungaradhu mukkiyam illai. rasippula oru underlying ability to discerrn vENum. One cannot hide under the pOrvai of pAmaran and use that to justify lack of discerning and lack of discrimination.

What a wonderful night! Tried to tip that feller extra. He refused it.
மகிழ்ச்சி, நெகிழ்ச்சி Very Happy

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 am

ஆபிஸ்-கு வரும்போது ரயிலில் கேட்டது:

ஆயிரம் தாமரை மொட்டுக்களே - Genre bending, subversion done and tossed aside
அரிதாரத்த பூசிக்கொள்ள ஆச - this is story telling
சந்திரரும் சூரியனும் - example of instruments or genre not being a hindrance to narrative integrity
வாயக்கட்டி வயித்தக்கட்டி (சொல்ல துடிக்குது மனசு) - revisited this recently on TV - Abdul Hameed program on Jaya TV with lyricist (mu.Metha or Pulamaippithan?)

Last edited by Bala (Karthik) on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:58 am

plum..
aani adichutteenga..
aani pudungravangallaam pudunga mudiyaadha aani idhu..
umadhu thiruvilayaadalgaLil idhuvum ondro?

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next