Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

+31
panniapurathar
IsaiRasigan
pmanokaran
BC
al_gates
raagakann
rajkumarc
Sakalakala Vallavar
raja4ever
Wizzy
Raghunaga
vicks
sagi
plum
MH
ravinat
jaiganesh
Raaga_Suresh
sheepChase
mythila
counterpoint
writeface
fring151
rajaclan
V_S
app_engine
Drunkenmunk
kamalaakarsh
kiru
crimson king
Usha
35 posters

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 pm

அழகே அமுதே பூந்தென்றல் தாலாட்டும் பூஞ்சோலையே

This song got played in raajafm.com last evening and I was instantly attracted Smile

It is quite obvious that IR thoroughly enjoys singing this song. It should have been a personal fav when the melody came out of his fingers / harmonium during the composing session, making him to decide that he himself should sing it. And what to say about the wind instrument - WOW - it is used in the end of the first interlude and then comes as a call-response in saraNam, so sweetly!

When raajafm.com played this song again in the morning commute, I can't help but post it here Smile

Here is the good quality audio version, from #IR_Official_YT :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcIIgt9aQjo

I couldn't find a good quality video of the song. The song possibly comes as bits and pieces in the movie narrative. (SPB acts with Vijayakanth in this song as the elder bro character, when I browsed thru the movie on youtube to spot the start of the song - when the aNNan approves of the girl picked by the son. Banupriya's expressive eyes, just prior to the song, are a treat to movie-watchers).

Click on the link below (16th minute of the movie), for the scene of the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLV2kYlf0U&t=960s

Someone has hosted a poor-quality version of the song's video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-hR-TwePE

BTW, the song is a sweet #IR_Waltz and one won't get tired of repeating it for any number of times!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2

Post  Usha Wed May 03, 2017 2:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YDeGBeUkBo

Ilaiyaraja old songs...  

chinna kannan azhaikiran.. Beautiful prelude......... nice.

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed May 03, 2017 2:34 pm

தேனின் சுவை வண்டு அறியதோ...காதல் மனம் யார் அறிவாரோ...காதல் ரசனை பாடல்கள் | Illayaraja Melodys

kavidhai manadhai kodukum IR isai.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3yNKjdTq4

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Photo
[url][/url]

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri May 26, 2017 10:10 pm

I was trying to get the meaning of Guru sthothram in hey ram (brahmanandam parama sukhdham ..) . I realized KH is not singing the lyrics right. Instead of ''gagana sadrisham" he sings "triguna rahitam" (which is from the last line). Am i hearing it right ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I looked for it and didn't come across any analysis of Athikaalai Neram Kanavil (Naan Solvadhe Sattam/SPB & Asha). The second interlude is very interesting because he takes off with soaring strings and seems to go into Hamsanandhi and then back with a spectacular resolution.  The song as such is in Sivaranjani.  So...how is this achieved?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 am

Check-out this whole thread by Sureshji in Twitter :
https://twitter.com/Raaga_Suresh/status/871058903466770432

He has posted ONE song per EACH YEAR of IR (1976-2016, means 41 songs).

All are awesome picks and his comments are excellent for each!

Hopefully he'll compile these into a blog post some day Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 am

crimson king wrote:I looked for it and didn't come across any analysis of Athikaalai Neram Kanavil (Naan Solvadhe Sattam/SPB & Asha). The second interlude is very interesting because he takes off with soaring strings and seems to go into Hamsanandhi and then back with a spectacular resolution.  The song as such is in Sivaranjani.  So...how is this achieved?

One cannot call my post as analysis, but this was something I posted a few years back on this song:

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB&s=08ac8b596eef73d72b9b92f4ea348a94&p=810387&viewfull=1#post810387

app_engine, in SPB-IR thread wrote:
#278 அதிகாலை நேரம் கனவில் உன்னைப்பார்த்தேன்
(நான் சொல்வதே சட்டம், 1988 , ஆஷா போஸ்லேயுடன்) 

adhikAlai nEram kanavil unnaippArththEn (nAn solvathe sattam, with Asha Bhosle)

Did I say light-weight songs for the next few days? May be so, from the hit status...but not really from a musical POV. This song had been first heard on a few bus journeys inside Cbe city and I searched around for the details. Obscure movie but possibly a money-bag producer, rich enough to sign-up the Mumbai singer. Or, it could be the other way around - AB came to Chennai for some other prime singing assignment (with salary / # of days fixed) and thanks to the extreme efficiency of rAsA's team, the studio could get a few more numbers recorded without spending much or anything at all Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Icon_rolleyes

There's no other explanation to see a ton of AB songs on a movie that had a horrible title like this and an unknown Charanraj doing the lead role (if one goes by Thiraippadal listing of the hero's name). I don't think most people even heard the name of the movie. However, few IR admirers of 80's would have missed the sweet songs from this album. I got this one and another duet (again same pair, will post tomorrow) recorded on a Sony cassette and treated myself regularly those days. These two numbers are among my favourite IR-AB numbers (though these songs didn't earn a place like sheNbagamE in my heart).

The melody is superb and very soothing and SPB's singing is like mayiliRagu koNdu varudal. BTW, the lady who was born in 1933 and started her singing career in 1943 sings this song very nice too Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Icon_smile

I've also posted about the other duet from the same album, "oru dEvadhai vandhadhu" in that thread :

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8541-The-Golden-Era-of-Dr-IR-and-Dr-SPB&s=08ac8b596eef73d72b9b92f4ea348a94&p=810896&viewfull=1#post810896

#279 ஒரு தேவதை வந்தது
(நான் சொல்வதே சட்டம், 1988 , ஆஷா போஸ்லேயுடன்)

oru dEvadhai vandhadhu (from nAn solvathE sattam with Asha Bhosle)

What a lovely song! 

Though I used to make fun of the 'aLakiya dEvadhai' pronunciation of AB those days, there's no question about her excellent singing in this song that takes it to a different level (and I'm positive my fav SJ would have taken it to an even better level). SPB thoroughly enjoys singing as well, while the orchestration is kept to mostly "support mode" to let the melody take the driver's seat. Listening to songs like this on the headphone, lying down in the bed on a calm & silent night with absolutely no disturbances around is what I can call "bliss".

That such a song didn't go unnoticed in TN despite occuring in an obscure movie and got enough air time / bus time etc were possible simply because of the environment that got created by the rAsA phenomenon. (Unfortunately, that had been taken away by late 90's. Nowadays, it appears it's almost impossible for songs that are neither from successful movies nor highly promoted movies to get any kind of recognition. A very different music scene today. This phenomenon is like 'nirabarAthikku dhaNdanai' and is more irritating than the 'kuRRavALi thappiththal' aka popularity of undeserving numbers).

Anyways, like I mentioned before, this song brings me more memories of lachchumi complex and other Cbe roaming arounds. I think I've posted before about the Raja street's Tiffin House in some thread. I had a short-term-room-mate who finished his engg in Cbe and was aware of this place. He introduced me the joint which is on that cross street to oppaNakkAra street and was always crowded (the idlees, dOsais and the variety of chutnies - kathrikkA chutney famous -were all delicious) and one had to wait for the "rationing" much like the college mess. Well, mouth watering memories!

BTW, has any hubber watched this nAn solvathE sattam movie? If so, why not share the experience?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:40 am

Not an analysis but a good read, saar.  Always enjoy reading your bus journey recollections.  Music was at the front and centre of culture at that time.  Not just IR,a pair of composers on their debut composing for a film with unknown lead actors stormed the Bollywood scene...with what I'd regard as a middling, mediocre-to-the-core soundtrack.  I am talking about Nadeem Shravan's music for the film Aashiqui.  People were prepared to listen to a song if it just happened to play somewhere on radio or TV.  They/we were not occupied with various computer-enabled means of entertainment as we are now.  Even I don't spend any time listening to new songs on TV.  Mostly because 99% of it is unsahikable but that also means when a good song like Ik Kudi from Udta Punjab comes along, I am not likely to have heard it first on radio/TV.  Usually, it will be a year later on Indian Idol.  And if it hasn't already attained that level of popularity, it's gone.  I'd say 90s killed the appetite for listening to music in both Hindi and Tamil.  The music directors (not talking about Raja) kept churning out mokkai songs by the thousands even as computers had arrived.  I don't think computers would have so easily weaned people away from music in the golden age of HFM or any time in TFM up to 80s.  We would have still surrendered to the machine but kicking and screaming all the way.  It was just too easy to get away from the Deva/Sirpi/NS/Anu Malik nonsense when a new and exciting world awaited us with the arrival of PCs and internet. That people ordered 50000 or so copies of NEPV in advance shows that the appetite at least circa 2012 was not completely dead but to paraphrase IR, "Without composer, what will the CD do?"

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm

nanRi C_K!

Today's listen - a special treat by Navin Mozart :

Collection of "music for end credits" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbJi75iPmg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 2 - Page 10 Empty Misra Shivaranjani

Post  mythila Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Learnt from the \"loyal but disgruntled with post millennnium IR" fan cum moderator of IR threads in TFMPage, a Raga pundit Rajaram, that this song is a kalapada or misra shivaranjani pattern. Not only in the 2nd interlude we are surprised by the Grahabedham to Hamsanandini, but also during the charanam midst are we taken by a sweet surprise twist of Hemavathy/Saraswathy Grahabedham. The newbie mds need to take a leaf out of Raja on how to handle this googly of ragas.
crimson king wrote:I looked for it and didn't come across any analysis of Athikaalai Neram Kanavil (Naan Solvadhe Sattam/SPB & Asha). The second interlude is very interesting because he takes off with soaring strings and seems to go into Hamsanandhi and then back with a spectacular resolution.  The song as such is in Sivaranjani.  So...how is this achieved?

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:29 pm

mythila wrote:Learnt from the \"loyal but disgruntled with post millennnium IR" fan cum moderator of IR threads in TFMPage, a Raga pundit Rajaram, that this song is a kalapada or misra shivaranjani pattern. Not only in the 2nd interlude we are surprised by the Grahabedham to Hamsanandini, but also during the charanam midst are we taken by a sweet surprise twist of Hemavathy/Saraswathy Grahabedham. The newbie mds need to take a leaf out of Raja on how to handle this googly of ragas.

Thanks for this!  It truly is a tapestry of ragas.  Sadly, we have lost the 'appetite' for these beautiful experiments as he correctly warned us about through the lyrics of Iniya Gaanam.  One very annoying legacy of Rahman is the complete shifting of emphasis to feel as if melodic/harmonic experiments are either irrelevant or pretentious or both.  This is disingenuous because Rahman himself is not 'above' experimentation, only that they are not nearly as breathtaking as IR's.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:13 am

Been listening to this beauty from 'Villupura Pattukaran' on a loop nowadays. What a melody. Raja shows us that bhakti songs can offer infinite variations. Chitra delivers perfectly. Her melodic voice suiting the song perfectly and her subdued singing enhancing the effectiveness. What a great singer she is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWoFsBhDs2I

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:25 pm

மெமரி

கனவு காண்பது குறித்து அண்மையில் ராசா மாணவர்களிடம் சுவையான சொற்பொழிவு நிகழ்த்திய இந்தச்சூழலில் இரண்டு நாளுக்கு முன்னான என் கனவு (அதாவது உறக்கத்தில் வந்தது, வேண்டுமென்று கண்டதல்ல) குறித்து இங்கே எழுதியாக வேண்டும் Smile

இதற்கு முன்னே ராசா என் கனவில் வந்திருக்கிறாரா என்று நினைவில்லை. ஆனால், இது தெளிவாக நினைவில் உள்ளது. மட்டுமல்ல, அந்த நிகழ்வு அவ்வளவு வேடிக்கையாக இருந்ததால் உறக்கம் கலைந்து (ஓட்டல் அறையில்) படுக்கையில் வெகுநேரம் அது குறித்து அசை போடவும் நேர்ந்தது Smile

கனவு:
யாரோ ஒருத்தர் வீடு. நிறையப்பேர் கூட்டமாக இருக்கிறார்கள்  (தெரிந்த முகங்கள் அல்ல, உறவினர் நண்பர் என்று யாரும் அடையாளம் தெரிந்தவர் அல்ல). நானும் இருக்கிறேன்.

என்னென்னவோ பேசிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். அந்த உரையாடல் ஒன்றும் மனதில் பதியவில்லை - கனவோடு கனவாய் மறைந்தாகிவிட்டது.

சட்டென்று பார்த்தால் இந்தக்கூட்டத்தின் நடுவில், ஹாலில், தரையில் இளையராஜா உட்கார்ந்திருக்கிறார்.  நான் அவர் முன் நிற்க, அவரிடம் பேசும் வாய்ப்புக்கிடைக்கிறது.

ஒரு தடங்கலும் இல்லாமல் நேரடியாக அவரிடம் பேசுகிறேன்.
(இப்பேது நினைத்தாலும் என் கனவில் நான் செய்தது குறித்து எனக்கே பெருமையாய் இருக்கிறது - அதாவது, அவரைக்கண்டதும் வாயடைத்து நிற்கவில்லை, "நீங்கள் வாழும் காலத்தில் நான் வாழ்வதே பெருமை" என்றெல்லாம் பேசித்தள்ளவில்லை! குறிப்பாக இசை குறித்து ஒன்றுமே உளறவில்லை Smile )

"ஐயா, உங்கள் திறமைகளிலேயே எனக்கு ரொம்ப ஆச்சர்யமா இருக்கிறது உங்க மெமரி தான்" என்கிறேன்!

சிரிக்கிறார். அதை உடனே தலையாட்டி ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளவும் செய்கிறார். அடுத்து அவர் பேசியது மிக அழகு!

"சரி, ஏதாவது ஒரு பாட்டு சொல்லுங்க - வாசிக்க நினைவு வருதா பாக்கலாம்" ( அதாவது, தனக்கே அவர் ஒரு டெஸ்ட் வைக்கிறார்.  BTW, இப்போது கனவில் அவர் முன்னால் ஆர்மோனியம் இருக்கிறது.)

ஒரு நொடி கூட யோசிக்காமல், ஆண்ட்ரு லாய்ட் வெப்பரின் "மெமரி" என்கிறேன்.  

(இப்போது நினைத்தாலும் என் ஆழ்மனதை நினைத்து வியப்பாக இருக்கிறது. மெமரி பற்றிப்புகழ்ந்து உடனேயே மெமரி என்ற பாடலை - அதுவும் ஆயிரக்கணக்கான ராசா பாடல்களையெல்லாம் விட்டு விட்டு வேறொன்றை - அதுவும் நான் ஒரிஜினல் கேட்காமல் பால் மரியா வெர்சன் மட்டுமே கேட்டுக்கேட்டுக் காதலித்த பாட்டை - எப்படிச்சட்டென்று சொல்கிறேன் என்று நம்பவே முடியவில்லை!  நனவில் வேலை செய்ய மறுக்கும் என் மூளை கூடக்கனவில் தாவித்தாவிப் பறக்கிறது)

உடனே ராசா செய்தது இன்னும் ஆயிரம் மடங்கு வியப்பு!

அதாவது, அவர் ஒரு எமெஸ்வி-ஸ்ரீதர் பழைய படப்பாட்டை ஆர்மோனியத்தில் வாசிக்கிறார். (கனவு முடிந்தபின் எவ்வளவு முயன்றாலும் அந்தப்பாட்டு நினைவுக்கு வரவில்லை). மெமரி பாட்டின் ஆழ்ந்த பாதிப்பு உள்ள ஒரு தமிழ்ப்பாடல்!

உடனே சிரிக்கிறார். "சரி இப்போ அந்த ஒரிஜினல் வாசிக்க முடியுதா பார்க்கிறேன்" என்கிறார்.

அதற்குள் கனவில் யாரோ ஒருத்தருடைய காணாமல் போன பை கிடைத்து, அதில் எல்லாம் சரியாக இருக்கிறதா என்று பணத்தை எண்ணும் காட்சி வர, ராசா கலைந்து போய் விட்டார். என் தூக்கமும் கலைந்தது. திட்டிக்கொண்டே எழுந்தவன் ரொம்ப நேரம் உறங்கவில்லை!

குறிப்பிடத்தக்க சில :

1. ராசாவை ஒருவேளை என்றாவது நேரில் பார்த்தால் என்ன பேச வேண்டும் என்று கனவில் இருந்து கற்றுக்கொண்டு விட்டேன்! Smile

2. ராசாவின் ஆளுமை குறித்து நான் கொண்டுள்ள பொதுவான "முழுச்சித்திரம்"  ஆழ்மனதில் இருந்து இப்படி அழகாக வெளிப்பட்டது அழகோ அழகு. (தன்னம்பிக்கை, அபார நினைவாற்றல், வேகம், ஒன்றோடொன்று இணைக்கும் அற்புதத்திறன் - இன்ன பிற)

3. பொதுவாக 99% கனவுகள் மறந்து போனாலும், மெமரி குறித்த இந்தக்கனவு மட்டும் மெமரியில் நின்றது சிறப்பு தானே? Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 am

Lovely dream Inba. Very fascinating.

I remember Raja came in only one dream of mine. I have totally forgotten what it was about Sad

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm

nanRi Sureshji!

As expected, that being a dream - however logical it seemed to sound - missed out a major fact Smile

That the MSV-Sridhar era was in 60's and early 70's only (Sridhar switched to IR in late 70's with இ ஊ).

OTOH, ALW's Memory is from early 80's (and so is the sweetly orchestrated Paul Mauriat "cover" version, which is from 80's as well.)

Though the point of "IR quickly connecting a western classic to an IFM song in a flash of a moment" is a real possibility, the "detail" in this case is erratic and that's not unusual in a dream (now that I can analyze it with google data Laughing )

Regardless, IR's memory is phenomenal in real life.

Imagine a song like "sAyndhu sAyndhu" - with its extremely fresh tune, interludes / treatment etc - getting composed by him - way distanced from ALL that IR or others had hitherto composed.

For IR to make something like that (and 100's of such fresh songs, pretty consistently), calls for great memory / recall of the 1000's of tunes he had already delivered (and other masters had delivered also) and then EXCLUDE all of them to make an ENTIRELY NEW one!

Phenomenal brain (considering how most others REPEAT so much within a very short time / in much less output)!

No wonder IR doesn't enjoy someone coming and asking him "ஐயா அந்தப்பாட்டு மாதிரியே ஒன்னு வேணும்" Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:10 pm

nanraga padiya sila smule.........

innum ennai seiya pogirai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTDkbXHjzg

ennai thottu alli konda.  so sweet.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl69rLYpIc

poomalaiyae thol serava

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W65VPRakSsw

alla un aanai padi

https://www.smule.com/recording/unnikrishnan-and-preethi-allah-un-aanai-padi-chandralekha/1071668447_1412614246

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Just now Raj Musix was playing Nooru Nooru Mutham.  It's after years that I have come across any of the Indran Chandran songs on TV; the last time was Kadhal Ragamum.  Wonder why the songs of that film get played so less.  I get that IR has a massive catalog and it's difficult to do justice to it but it's a Kamal starrer with great songs.  I mean, if they can play Endhan Nenjil, why not these songs? Nor have they been performed on the shows IR has done from noughties and onwards.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

crimson king wrote: Nor have they been performed on the shows IR has done from noughties and onwards.

Could be because IR is not aware of the fact that a Thamizh dubbed version of that (Telugu) movie exists Laughing

Whatever is the case with Indrudu Chandrudu , based on my observation of a number of Telugu songs played on raajafm.com (when it was active as a standalone - now it is part of the maestro app), I'm 200% sure that a large number of dubbing of albums happened without any involvement of IR!
(In some of them, the singing itself is horrible, and others had "async" between singer & orch etc. - even in rhythm).

With IR doing around 50 movies a year in the early 90's, he never had the bandwidth to track his original tracks themselves (i.e. as to the rights / payments / royalties etc), as manifested by his recent waking up for "lost revenues".  It could be much worse for those dubbed ones.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:52 am

app_engine wrote:
crimson king wrote: Nor have they been performed on the shows IR has done from noughties and onwards.

Could be because IR is not aware of the fact that a Thamizh dubbed version of that (Telugu) movie exists Laughing

Whatever is the case with Indrudu Chandrudu , based on my observation of a number of Telugu songs played on raajafm.com (when it was active as a standalone - now it is part of the maestro app), I'm 200% sure that a large number of dubbing of albums happened without any involvement of IR!
(In some of them, the singing itself is horrible, and others had "async" between singer & orch etc. - even in rhythm).

With IR doing around 50 movies a year in the early 90's, he never had the bandwidth to track his original tracks themselves (i.e. as to the rights / payments / royalties etc), as manifested by his recent waking up for "lost revenues".  It could be much worse for those dubbed ones.

lol, what a pity then, if even IR could not manage his humongous output, what chance do lesser mortals have!  I haven't yet come across these bad dubbed version cases but I haven't even heard that many of them, so I believe you.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm

crimson king wrote: I haven't yet come across these bad dubbed version cases

One sample was showcased in this post on another thread:
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t249p25-official-online-radio#22650

As raajafm.com is no longer active, I'm not getting such "treats" anymore Embarassed

They've integrated the official radio to Maestro App on the phone but there it plays mostly super hit songs only (and not unknowns, Telugu dubbed ones etc like the other station).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Song as such is autopilot mode IR BUT from 1:27 to 1:35 or so is a brief and totally unexpected Canterbury-like guitar excursion, as sweet and trippy as the best of Hillage or Miller.   There's no point in repeating the obligatory how-did-he-come-up-with-that:

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Paruruvaya  from Smule.. Venkatraman and sindhu shibu......

Excellent renditiion... bhavam is  too good........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8hI4jJdqs

Kajuraho  ... really super rendition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fiFoqxHkw

from Ramya Duraisamy. indha paatai nanraga padi irupar.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMEOMxS7Sc

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Before it got integrated into the Maestro App, the raajafm.com frequently played a Mano song (especially during its last period).

Unfortunately, that song got played on three or four occasions when I was riding with my pathni on the vaNdi, that too within a few days, and got her really irritated Laughing
("என்ன மாதிரிப்பாட்டுக் கேட்டுட்டு இருக்கீங்க? குண்டு ஒன்னு வச்சிருக்கேன் - மண்டு ஒன்னு வச்சிருக்கேன்னு" - she typically cannot pass the words to just drink the musical aesthetics like us HCIRFs - so I had to tune out each time Embarassed )

Now no raajafm.com, but one of the MP3 CDs I got from a highway shop in India has this song and I'm listening to it on repeat mode for the last few days Shocked while driving to-from work Laughing

I can't myself believe I'm dancing to / enjoying a Mano song with such "terror" lyrics non-stop! That too from a disk that contains some 90+ nicer hit songs - leaving out all those!

Unbelievable! However, the song has some unique charm and let me try to highlight using bullets Wink

• It got lyrics that are either "angry at politicians" or "poignant stuff describing situation of poor" - means 100% serious material - but sounds completely comical! (Both because of the way Mano sings & the way IR orchestrated / packaged). A comedy song with serious lyrics! Only IR possible!
  • I guess IR did that way because it was for a comical movie (rAmji rAo speaking was a famous 80's comedy in Malayalam and got remade into Thamizh as arangEtra vELai). If one watches the youtube below, Prabhu with that bommai thuppAkki, they'll agree with the feel that IR managed to create in this song - despite the serious lyrics - tremendous achievement!
  • The melody / accompaniment / rhythm all seemed to have been composed keeping Prabhu in mind Laughing Fits him to a T!
  • When the director told about the gun shot sound, IR possibly thought, "well, let me also add some wild-west feel"! That brief delectable guitar portion that comes in the prelude just prior to pallavi could remind one of "good-bad-ugly" kind of movies instantly! Another IR-speciality!
  • I simply love the end of the pallavi & end of saraNam portion - That "Ah Ah Ah AhAhA" strech, with lovely bass backing! Terrific!
  • The proverbial second interlude, is, OF COURSE MAGICAL!

Enjoy the energetic number! 
(Also, my mind is capable of replacing Mano's voice with SPB's or some other greater singer's voice or simply lead instrumental automatically, for this song)

Addressed to today's politicians:
வெள்ளைக்கும் கொள்ளைக்கும் அல்லாடும் சொள்ளைகளே...ஓ ஓ ஓ ஓ டோய்...குண்டு ஒன்னு வச்சுருக்கேன் வெடிகுண்டு ஒன்னு வச்சுருக்கேன்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y0CIlsv48

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:00 pm

^^^ Love, love that song.  Yeah, tons of fun.  In Agaya Vennilave, the picturisation is like a counterpoint to a serious sounding song (which was also intentional, I guess), but in Gundu Onnu, they are totally in sync.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm

What a coincidence! While I was reading app engine's post on the song "Gundu onnu vechurrukken" , the very same song was blaring on Vijay TV around 8.18 pm for some uppuma  programme  just before the Big Boss that starts @8.30 pm IST. Regarding the song, I too had the same disdain initially until few years back where I found some interesting moments despite Mano.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next