Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 31 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:22 pm

crimson king wrote:
Nerd wrote:Fantastic ludes. Ppaah the guitars.

Wow. Amazing melody too, so many twists.  Never heard it before, thanks for posting it.

Earlier posted about this in the GA thread :
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t80p150-gangai-amaran-thread-for-song100#6595

நாங்கெல்லாம் இந்தப்பாட்டு வந்தப்போ சுடச்சுட ரெக்கார்டிங் சென்டர்ல இருந்து புடிச்சுக்கிட்டு வந்த கூட்டம் Smile

ஒரே ஒரு கொடுமை - இந்தப்படத்தை மாரிஸ் காம்ப்ளெக்ஸ்'ல போயிப்பார்த்துத் துன்பம் அனுபவிச்சிருக்கோம் Embarassed
(That actress is "thiruppu" Urvashi's sister)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 31 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  Usha Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Chembaruthi  Pen oruthi.........  Beautiful Interludes. love the Beats. adhudhanae IR............

Balu Mahendra's camera..  azhagu kuraiya arambitha OOty aiyum.. azhaga kaati irukum.........

Paadal kodi kaetalum
Badhikinra padal nee..........  (IR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axk904PRXIw

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:06 am

Another song that's just disappeared.  I remember it was very popular at the time of release but I have never heard it on these music shows nor even in IR's own concerts of the last few years.  They don't seem to include it in the Isaiaruvi playlist either.  Love how he spaces the notes. By drawing it out in such an unhurried manner, he increases the creepiness factor.  In such songs, his fondness for Madan Mohan comes through.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Another one that once again was, I am sure, quite popular at that time but doesn't get much attention now.  Would really like to hear it performed at one of his shows.  Although there may again be complaints then that the selection didn't have enough fast songs/hits.  Lovely melody.  

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:37 pm

^^Oh Vaanampaadi actually still receives decent radio time/late night isai aruvi/jayamax play. Anbe vaa arugile, not so much. Ya, read that complaint by one Malaysian jantu that not enough "fast beat" songs were performed. IvangaLukkellAm Raaja orchestra'vOda rendu maasam rehearse paNNi pOi katcheri pandrArE. Avaroda sincerity, veguLithanam meeNdum meeNdum viyakka vaikkardhu.

By default, outside India, these concerts attract riff raffs as much as fans. It is just another weekend outing for desis. That's why Raja should stick to doing concerts in Chennai/Bangalore/Hyd or even Mallu land. Lower budget, better for his health, more fans and fewer riff raffs.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 am

^^^  Yeah, same complaint.  That's what I am referring to. Circa 2014, Raja HIT means Aasai Nooru Vagai, Rakkamma, Ninnu Korri etc.  But Oh Vaanampaadi was also a hit.  Somebody made a comment on youtube saying he used to repeatedly listen to that song in 1986-87 on radio.  It's difficult to understand why some songs don't get that much prominence. Maybe the film wasn't a hit?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 am

fring151 wrote:^^Oh Vaanampaadi actually still receives decent radio time/late night isai aruvi/jayamax play. Anbe vaa arugile, not so much. Ya, read that complaint by one Malaysian jantu that not enough "fast beat" songs were performed. IvangaLukkellAm Raaja orchestra'vOda rendu maasam rehearse paNNi pOi katcheri pandrArE. Avaroda sincerity, veguLithanam meeNdum meeNdum viyakka vaikkardhu.

By default, outside India, these concerts attract riff raffs as much as fans. It is just another weekend outing for desis. That's why Raja should stick to doing concerts in Chennai/Bangalore/Hyd or even Mallu land. Lower budget, better for his health, more fans and fewer riff raffs.
Spot on

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 am

It's difficult to understand why some songs don't get that much prominence. Maybe the film wasn't a hit?

Could be that. Or as I have often said, sensory overload induced amnesia. 1986 was the year he composed for a whooping 50+ movies I think.  Lol. that's around 250 songs in 1 frigging year - a song a day. 
In other news, Raaja's prophetic words come true. "En gaanam indru arangerum" touching 50k view on youtube  the clap . Who could have imagined 10 years ago that this song would ever see the light of day. Here's to a million views - Youtube vaazhga! Rajsmed vaazhga! 

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:
fring151 wrote:^^Oh Vaanampaadi actually still receives decent radio time/late night isai aruvi/jayamax play. Anbe vaa arugile, not so much. Ya, read that complaint by one Malaysian jantu that not enough "fast beat" songs were performed. IvangaLukkellAm Raaja orchestra'vOda rendu maasam rehearse paNNi pOi katcheri pandrArE. Avaroda sincerity, veguLithanam meeNdum meeNdum viyakka vaikkardhu.

Spot on

++

I could have gone to the New Jersey concert in US last yr. But couldn't due to budget tightness (inga ondralatcha roova dhaan chicken 65 to travel to and fro from Florida to Jersey Razz). But friend in NY state made it. And a problem abroad is they allow alcohol into the stadia that conduct such events. One desi bloke beside my friend was drinking too much and puked on my friend. Spoiled the listening experience for my friend in addition to not listening to music seriously himself. I can understand US concerts allowing alcohol but can't fathom why an IR concert organizer (S. Indians; Tamils and manavaadus here) would allow alcohol or a fan would consume it, puke and listen to his music. As you say, riff raffs. Sarakkadichu, fast music kEttu vAndhi edukkaNam naa bar ku po, metal, banghead concert ku po. edhukku da inga vara??!!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 am

Gave a listen to this "rim jhim" thanks to a tweet by Isai :

(BTW, Yuvan has reused the melody as "theeNdi theeNdi" Smile )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:37 am

What a lovely melody! Bodybuilder Sivakumar's (understandably) shameless proclamations of lust for the very hot Radha in the  second half of the song are fucking ghastly.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm

The song I have been listening since morning. The starting bullock bells intrigued me into this song like never before. Maestro used that bell sound and converted that into the rhythm on which the song operates. The starting prelude sounds, sounds like a jalatharangam (but quite different), I keep going to that again and again. The way song progresses from there is like a water stream adjusting itself to the environment. After hearing the first line, no one can imagine second line (anu-pallavi) is going to be like that. Sudden gush of water as if flowing into steep down-stream. Then the charaNam starts in a gentle flow fashion till 'ஆனாலும் பால் போல் உள்ளம்தான்' where the water takes an obstacle in between which causes a surge, same way during 'தேன் சிட்டு போல் பாடுவேன்'. The song conveys the meaning of life through water stream analogy; 'ஆராட்டம் ஓடுதெந்தன் வாழ்கை'. Then comes again the sudden rush in the form of anu-pallavi to complete the charaNam.

The song which carries along with that stream and gives a rare opportunity to enjoy the nature with those water splashes, the chill dip of our toes into water, little cold wind caressing us on a bright sunny day. This is due to one of the longest charaNam.Hats off to MSV sir (I believe he composed the tune). Heart-warming tune. SPB has given his best. At one point, he sings the whole pallavi 'அடி கோமாதா நீ இந்த ஊர காக்குற குலமாதா எல்லார்க்கும் தெரியாதா' in one breath. You will lose your breath just after the high pitch 'அடி கோமாதா' itself, yet he sang the whole line without taking a breath. yaarukitta! The biggest advantage is the usage of flute, violins and tabla. I have not heard such a bright usage of all these three instruments just as Maestro knows the movie unfolds with this song. Who is playing the tabla? Lots of kisses to his hands. We know Arunmozhi and his flute prowess. Unbeatable experience! Another highlight is the simple yet effective lyrics (by Gangai Amaran or Vaali or IR himself?) which according to me conveys who Maestro is. Especially the second charaNam is a true depiction of Maestro's musical career. Totally in love with it.

அடி கோமாதா நீ இந்த ஊர காக்குற குலமாதா எல்லார்க்கும் தெரியாதா (2)
இதப் பாட்டுக்கட்டி பாடச் சொல்லுதடி இந்த ஊர் காத்து
புது மொட்டு விட்டு அதக் கேக்குதடி இந்தப் பூந்தோப்பு

அடி கோமாதா...

அம்மாடி நான் படிச்ச படிப்புத்தான்
சொன்னாலுமே கொறையும் மதிப்புத்தான்
ஆனாலும் பால் போல் உள்ளம்தான்
என்னோடுதான் உழைப்பு இருக்குது
அன்னாடம்தான் பொழப்பு நடக்குது
தேன் சிட்டு போல் பாடுவேன்
அம்மாவுக்கு செல்லப் பிள்ளை
எல்லாருக்கும் நல்லப் பிள்ளை
உள்ளபடி நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே
வம்பு தும்பு கள்ளம் இல்லை
ஆராட்டம் ஓடுதெந்தன் வாழ்கை
இதப் பாட்டு கட்டி பாடச் சொல்லுதடி இந்த ஊர் காத்து

அடி கோமாதா நீ இந்த ஊர காக்குற குலமாதா எல்லார்க்கும் தெரியாதா

அடி கோமாதா...

பாட்டுக்காக பொழப்பு நடத்தலே
பொழப்புக்காக பாட்டுப் படிக்கலே
பாட்டோட பொழப்பும் நடக்குது
பணத்தைப் போட்டு வாங்க முடியுமா
பாட்டுச் சரக்கு விலைக்கு கிடைக்குமா
அண்ணாச்சி ஏன் தெரியுமா
நூலப் போல சேலை சேலை
முன்னோருங்க தந்த மூள
சந்தையிலே வாங்கவில்ல
என் கையிலே ஏதும் இல்லை
வேறென்ன நானும் இங்கு சொல்ல

அடி கோமாதா நீ இந்த ஊர காக்குற குலமாதா எல்லார்க்கும் தெரியாதா
இந்த ஊர் காத்து
இந்தப் பூந்தோப்பு

http://tamiltunes.com/senthamizh-pattu.html (very clear audio version)
(Nice to see Gounder aNNan in the video)

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:01 am

Senthamizh Pattu is a memorable album by MSV-IR.

Rain song and a Suddha dhanyasi duet along with a sentimental mother composition by Swarna and Bala.
rhythmic delight, V_S!
thanks.

Suddha dhanyasi composition! I love you
bells , the echo flute  strings and humming... romance romance romance  thankyou Ilayaraja!

baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:11 am

Chinna chinna from that album is also beautiful.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:21 am

Rain song, rag, lyrics, situation, singing everything is beautiful!
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:46 pm

My pick from the album is...

kootokoru paatiruku kaetukama.......

serious mood and the normal mood........ Without the Gap.. Without the Jerk..... IR's touch..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTUeRM9o6jQ

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:54 pm

One more GEM.

vanna vanna sol eduthu..... Jikki....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTTwv_2arL0

Usha

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 31 Empty anbE vA arugilE

Post  mythila Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:12 pm

crimson king wrote:Another song that's just disappeared.  I remember it was very popular at the time of release but I have never heard it on these music shows nor even in IR's own concerts of the last few years.  They don't seem to include it in the Isaiaruvi playlist either.  Love how he spaces the notes. By drawing it out in such an unhurried manner, he increases the creepiness factor.  In such songs, his fondness for Madan Mohan comes through.

anbe vaa arugile - a poignant Gowrimanohari tucked in there.

Never misses to send a lump down my throat.

Even the movie was an emotionally moving thriller. Infact the best of Fazil, several times better than the hyped up kAdhalukku mariyAdhai, in my books. Sometimes I regret why Fazil failed to remake the Mal hit manichitrathAzh in thamizh. Atleast I could have been spared of a massive sensory assault called Chandramukhi( Rajini rasikas kshamikkanam) and got to hear one more of Raja album.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm

'mugilO mEghamO' was playing during the drive to work this AM and I was wondering what all we lost during the two decades when rAsA had not been doing the "top money" projects Sad

Having followed him for decades, one thing I can certainly tell :
He ALWAYS does something EXTRA when superior facilities were available / provided!
(Please don't confuse this with the allegations some people throw at him that he worked harder for bigger-money projects while doing sub-par jobs for poor producers. That's not what I'm talking about. We all know how many excellent numbers he gave even as freebies to producers working at Prasad. That is not the point here).

Whenever he could get better facilities (by way of technology or superior musicians that the producer can afford / willing to spend), he JUSTIFIED SUCH INVESTMENT by extraordinary arrangements!

That way, though gAyathri, kavikkuyil & priya were all Rajini / Sridevi movies with great songs, one would see extraordinary orchestral arrangements only in Priya. (WCM / harmony etc). Why? BUDGET / FACILITIES!

Every now and then he could get someone pumping more money that will result in extraordinary treat for the public! (On occasions, it was his own production house - alaigaL Oyvadhillai had Polydor doing vinyls, then  for Anandhakkummi, he went to Mumbai for the first time...)

We have definitely seen that difference in the late-80's & 90/91 projects of Maniratnam. Budget made IR go far some extra work, without question!

(The same could be authenticated from kAlApAni, guru, HR, NEPV, mEghA scores).

If only the MR-KB mafia didn't get in the way, eventually denying all the biggie projects for IR during the last 2 decades, what all treat TFM could have got!

LOST OPPORTUNITY Sad

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:47 pm

app_engine wrote:

If only the MR-KB mafia didn't get in the way, denying all the biggie projects for IR during the last 2 decades, what all treat TFM could have got!

LOST OPPORTUNITY Sad

I think these two gentlemen hated his guts and waited for an opportunity to promote a competitor.
I dont like KB's movies with their strong dose of extra-marital affairs. I sense a very bad inner-personality in KB.
MR movies are just ok. Compared to the stupid movies that many people make he comes out good. In terms of creativity/authenticity. It is very low.
I think they are the losers, not IR. Imagine sindhu bhairavi, without IR songs.. the songs were apt, had the right does of classicism and most of all appealed to a very wide audience.
Without these songs, it would have been too difficult to carry the story line forward. And still there is this 'vengence' to bring a competitor !!!!
What can I say ..some people's minds are so screwed up !!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 pm

it's always only songs whoever the director, actor, producing house!
It's been a year I watched an Indian film- tamil, hindi, malayalam or kannada.. after my grocery store closed their video section. I don't have an urge to  make a trip to some other stores or online viewing or going to theaters. 
I don't miss them. Very Happy 
Only Raja's music & songs prevail at the end!  I love you

Whatever I say like 80s raja is forever glorious to me or get upset with Raja's singer choices or tisk tisk beat, end of the day, he keeps me curious about his upcoming projects & I always want him composing music as long I live in this life!

That's  Raja's music legacy, true torch bearer of Indian film music heritage just like Madhan Mohan or MSV-TKR or Salilda or Khayyam or K.V.M! AMEN! the clap
MSV came with Yuvan & delivered the ragangal padhinaaru... reuse. edhukku dhaano?
I read somewhere Khayyam is doing two new movies, I am curious about it. 
When they released unreleased Madhan Mohan tracks Tere Bagair, I was elated.
Whenever I tumble down on a  old unknown song of any of them, I am excited.
Raja continues to keep our excitement alive, that's Success!
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Back to NEPV after weeks. In the future, even if Gautham goes around calling Raaja a treacherous lier or says things like Rahman resurrected live music with his latest release, we all should still hold him in high esteem.

Btw, appji good post, but we cant entirely attribute the downfall of Raaja's commerce to KB-MR mafia. People really LOVED Rahman's music (and Deva's too in certain films). To me, thats the major factor. The same people now love Anirudh more than anybody. That shows their worth.

And forget the 'could have beens' whatever 'happened' even in the last 22 years is enough for our lifetimes. You are greedy, aint you Very Happy

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Didn't know that Anandha Kummi was recorded in Mumbai.  Always used to wonder why those recordings sounded better than the other recordings from the same time.  Was there possibly any similar special treatment for Udhaya Geetham songs also?  Paadu Nilave recording especially is exceptional.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Nerd,
That "ARR / Deva / HJ / Anirudh"s of music world treat people with catchy Coke/Pepsi is definitely not disputed.

Which is pretty much the "world standard" anyways...nothing surprising.

It's not often that a community can be built to mass-appreciate something unique and of real class i.e. anywhere in the world.

Per my prism of history, it only rarely happens Embarassed 

OTOH, at most places and most of the times majority go after popular stuff that gives quick-satisfaction / instant-pleasure etc., without finer appreciation or overall uplift of arts & tastes leading to developing distinct stuff.

We had such a rare thing happening w.r.t. TFM, right from 60's, as a special entity of distinct class / artistry in the entire music world (i.e. of the whole world). That IMHO was a new Taj Mahal in the making. Such building got a tremendous boost when rAsA the maestro got the patronage of the existing "kings" to thoroughly uplift the masses in art appreciation.

Alas, vested interests played spoilsport there (ARR etc are pawns in the whole game) to doom that unique structure which is now destined to be among every glassy building in every downtown of the world...lost treasure IMHO. (Of course, I'm greedy for fine music while otherwise a very contented simpleton who settled for a jettA in place of a ruined civic recently Smile )

Historically, I want to blame it on kings - especially when artists of class DID exist.

Which is why picking on KB-MR-AVM and such...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

That - mass appreciation of class - is not unique to TN though personal tastes may differ on the matter.  Hindi music enjoyed a golden age from 50s to 60s before RDB opened the Pandora's Box and LP and Kalyanji Anandji completed the dumbing down.  Likewise, Beatles triggered a renaissance of pop/rock as a quasi-serious medium where experimentation wasn't just allowed but encouraged.  What is unique is how Ilayaraja bucked the trend and elevated experimentation to the greatest heights of TFM in the 80s when dumbing down was in full flow elsewhere.  Maybe post independence fervour created a climate for attempting something serious within film music in India in the 50s.  In the West, Vietnam was the biggest trigger.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next