Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 35 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 pm

So stuck with Pon Vaanam Paneer Thoovudhu. Uploaded a stereo version: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHkGj2KkFA

The bass, piano and S Janaki. The mridangam and tabla changes in the charanam. The flanging of the guitar, the twang of bass as the pallavi begins. If this was the sound he got his musicians to produce (so evident in such thulliyamAna versions, live recording creates such a thrill I say!) outside the melody, what a man!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 35 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  writeface Mon May 12, 2014 6:40 am

Munk, What a song!  Thanks. 

Another bass delight here:  குயிலே

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Mon May 12, 2014 7:33 am

Yes Munk, fabulous clarity! Andha Mridangam, tabla switching nA gavanikkavE illa idhukku idhu varaikkum. Thanks for pointing that out.  thumbsup 
No showmanship or attention seeking stunts, just the interesting idea of juxtaposing Mridangam and Tabla each playing almost the same rhythm, but with the accent on a different beat. It sounds so natural, so effortlessly done that it's not even a big deal. 

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks Gokul. That is a superb song and fabulous bass again.

Fring, yeah Smile interestingly, SPB says this is so Salil Chowdhry-ish in the nadai and the 'jugglery' of notes. The Ranjani btw is a college senior Smile

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 am

SumArA thaan pAdinAnga, TBH, if you don't mind  Smile . Surprised SPB gave her such an easy pass. Hmm, Salil composed a lot in mishra chaapu? Can't recall too many offhand.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  krraju82 Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 am

Usha wrote:Thanakoru sorgathai amaitha devadhai..

http://tamilthiraipaadal.com/m/index.php?action=album&id=654&aname=Vaazha%20Ninaithal%20Vaazhalam

Lovely qawwali from IR. early days composition...... Great one......... Very Nice Renditiion of VJ........

yes nice song...
krraju82
krraju82

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue May 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Raju, Welcome to our forum Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue May 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Was stuck with Jiske Sahare, Kamagni and uploaded it:

Late 80s Hindi. This 2 mach for Naarth Indies from that period. The bass, brass and violins run a riot. Will wholeheartedly recommend this to Fring and crimsonking (begaas; Dilwaale, Da Da Dasthega level song only this also Smile ) and of course whole of the forum if they've not already heard it.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Wed May 21, 2014 6:14 pm

How wonderful this song is!

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed May 28, 2014 11:03 am

Heard this for the first time on radio. Didn't even know who the MD was, but it didn't take me too long to make an educated guess, what with the oozing eroticism, wacky arrangements and mental drumming. Too bloody good. Jaanu instead of Aaasaaji would have made it even better. 
This was 1994 - well after 1992. Comments laam padikaathinga. Pasanga konjam pongitaanga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT6SZQi_JE

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed May 28, 2014 2:20 pm

fring151 wrote:Heard this for the first time on radio. Didn't even know who the MD was, but it didn't take me too long to make an educated guess, what with the oozing eroticism, wacky arrangements and mental drumming. Too bloody good. Jaanu instead of Aaasaaji would have made it even better. 
This was 1994 - well after 1992. Comments laam padikaathinga. Pasanga konjam pongitaanga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT6SZQi_JE
Quite popular ya! (may be because I've seen film twice or thrice for Gounder and Raaja Smile) Shows with Raaja, each one has his own discovery. In fact, Raaga_Suresh had started his post Mid-90s Raaja songs (to prove Raaja did not lose his musical mojo post 1992 which some knee-jerkers hilariously claim and establish themselves) with this song iirc.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Shows with Raaja, each one has his own discovery.

True. Popular nu kanakku pOttA kooda evLo pAttu - pathA irubadhA? Hundreds. The other unique joy that comes with being a Raja fan is that even for a virtually daily listener like me, at any time, there are likely to be several great songs that are not on my radar. And when I hear one of those songs after a long time, sometimes after many months, even years, it is like meeting an old friend... like revisiting memorable pages from a favourite novel. You almost know what to expect, but not quite..

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am

kaadhal un Leelaiya, the ludes are also good apart from the tune. They could have had this song in the movie instead of the raadhe en raadhe vaaradhe and such.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu May 29, 2014 11:16 am

fring151 wrote:

True. Popular nu kanakku pOttA kooda evLo pAttu - pathA irubadhA? Hundreds. The other unique joy that comes with being a Raja fan is that even for a virtually daily listener like me, at any time, there are likely to be several great songs that are not on my radar. And when I hear one of those songs after a long time, sometimes after many months, even years, it is like meeting an old friend... like revisiting memorable pages from a favourite novel. You almost know what to expect, but not quite..

And just like that,  hearing this on the radio after ages. And getting surprised at every twist and turn. Again! This radio mirchi station seems to play lot of 90s IR in their rewind raagam slot. http://www.tamilradios.com/radio-mirchi-tamil-fm.html

P.S: SPB hits this out of the park. Don't think any other singer could have sung this one like him.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu May 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Saathu Nada Saathu was played quite a lot in the 90s on Sun TV etc.  I couldn't place it by name but as soon as the melody began, I remembered it well.  I said it earlier in this thread, but lots of songs of his that were actually pretty popular at the time of release in the 90s have disappeared.  Songs he scored for less popular/landmark films in the 80s have remained with the public but not so with the 90s.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 pm

fring151 wrote:
fring151 wrote:

And just like that,  hearing this on the radio after ages. And getting surprised at every twist and turn. Again! This radio mirchi station seems to play lot of 90s IR in their rewind raagam slot. http://www.tamilradios.com/radio-mirchi-tamil-fm.html

P.S: SPB hits this out of the park. Don't think any other singer could have sung this one like him.

This is a very interesting and unique song. I thought I will not like it when the scale change happens.. but the charanams with the string responses make it sound like an authentic spontaneous composing/singing session.
These are sort of songs made for situations provided a good variety/diversity.. I doubt the new young MDs will try such things.
The pallavi arrangement sounds very good and I like the bass playing at the end of the song.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu May 29, 2014 7:36 pm

@CK: True. But his 90s songs have good recall value for those (at least me) who heard it in the 90s without fandom then.

Like this song:

Brings a smile even today Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu May 29, 2014 7:37 pm

Interestingly, this was one of the songs I mentioned at that time.  At least it should be played in his shows, even if fair weather TV channels forget these songs.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:@CK: True. But his 90s songs have good recall value for those (at least me) who heard it in the 90s without fandom then.

Like this song:

Brings a smile even today Smile

The best part of this song is the C&R Raja does between the guitar and the veena. I have not seen any other composer doing this. He did that again in the song Mouna Raga manaveenai from Kolangal, Vasantha Nilavin from Sooryan. These are both string and very unlikely bedfellows for a C&R, in the normal musical sense.  Only Raja will do all these strange C&R arrangements.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 29, 2014 8:12 pm

crimson king wrote: lots of songs of his that were actually pretty popular at the time of release in the 90s have disappeared.  Songs he scored for less popular/landmark films in the 80s have remained with the public but not so with the 90s.
Completely false.

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 am

V_S wrote:
crimson king wrote: lots of songs of his that were actually pretty popular at the time of release in the 90s have disappeared.  Songs he scored for less popular/landmark films in the 80s have remained with the public but not so with the 90s.
Completely false.

I am talking about general public and not you or me.  It is certainly not COMPLETELY FALSE based on my experience and secondly, my point is on public taste and not the quality of the songs.  I hope you got that.  It's the public's loss that they did not keep up with IR's music.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 30, 2014 5:23 am

Simple question. How do you know public's taste?

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri May 30, 2014 5:31 am

Crimson- ignore the elite chennais. Go to south or even Thiruvannamalai to hear the unna nenahce paatu padichens, kumbakarais, poomanis *blaring* out of speakers. 
I'd agree if you talked about late 90s - specifically the manam virumbudhae unnais, poonjolais, chinna durais. But then these were not pipular when they were released either

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Fri May 30, 2014 5:35 am

Agree with V_S...ippo irukkura paraparappula we tend to forget too many of them...got a bit big screen star obsessed, but late evening, just let someone play this song and see your eyes glaze, your ears melt...wait no, your heart melt, your ears prick up like an alert police canine listening to these productions. I know, I am guilty, of being too fond of pre-90s IR...but when some of this appear out of nowhere, I just turn my head and smirk. The grand old wizard of soundtrack and mesmerising cinematic songs did it again.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 am

V_S wrote:Simple question. How do you know public's taste?

I can turn around and ask you the same question, so don't go there. You have no way to demonstrate my statement is completely false. You are just overreacting.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next