Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 13 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  kiru Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:10 am

I am mostly a fan of orchestration. 80s music might have nostalgic value but post-Guru has been real exciting for me. But IR seems to appeal to the music lover even when the orchestration is minimal. One such song, which falls into the much distracted IR-tabla genre with typical structure (for eg. the later part of charanam in set high with strings backing)  is vanna nilave vaigai nathiyE. Simple flute fills, triangle/bell sounds. It still appeals to your heart. Does not seem like lots of variations/sangathis. But I can listen to this over and over again. Is it just the emotional appeal ?  Youtube comments say - 'soulful', 'classic flute' etc.How appropriate.  I think we are not the most crazy fans of IR in this forum. Looks like there are so many people enjoying rare songs of IR on youtube and other sites.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 13 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Watched a few "super singer" episodes on youtube (Vijay TV), where all three judges are from 'mAtRAn thOttam' (one is a malligai, one paruththi and another muLLu)...

While there is clearly a concentrated effort to project non-IR songs, the young contestants - due to whatever reasons - end up choosing an IR song or two in each episode invariably Smile

The episodes were for "drunk" songs and the janaranjaga songs of rAsA got murdered by the participants (& mostly by orchestra too) - moonu mudichchAla muttALA AnEn of AKK, singAri sarakku of KC & thaNNiththotti thEdi vandha of SB. Well, the orchestra did just the starting part prior to 'thaNNiththotti' nicely. That way, right emotional backdrop was provided but the song got killed by the singer.

The surprise pick was 'endhan kaNNil EzhulagangaL' of Guru (horrible orch but singer was not that intolerable).

Despite all the low-q, rAsA songs alone could still be enjoyed - thanks to the mind playing the original along Smile

OTOH, could not stand ANY of the non-IR songs (which are so-so as such and chavattified by the singers / orch in addition) and had to be FFed.

I don't know why they have an old man singing pre-IR songs much worse than every street singer, bathroom singer & non-singer living in TN Shocked

avarukku training vERa kudukkuRangaLAm Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 pm

thamizhnaadu has killed fine arts and what we see in reality shows is last rites being performed with great fanfare...

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 am

Stumbled on this 'reality show' Telugu song when I wanted to check on a film (to post vinyl pics of "AlApanA") and got stunned :

So, ippadiyum oru ulagam irukku / shows nadakkudhu!
(BTW, first time hearing this song - there may be a phenomenal SJ version, fortunately for this singer I've never heard it)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 am

The girl gets 300 out of 300 (all three judges giving 100% score) Smile

Who are these judges? Are they well-known inside Telugu desam?

Is this program / channel of some repute?

Regardless, the singer is effortlessly awesome!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 am

Brilliant singing Malavika!! she sounds so sweet crystal clear voice ! Kudos to the orchestra too. 
I admire the orchestras playing for Malayalam & telegu music reality shows to be more conscientious than most Tamil channels' lousy orchestra.Sad 

After some digging, saw her name connected to MAA TV Super Singer 7. Checking out the videos,

Here is the original Priyatama tama sangeetham: SJ Version from Aalapanaa:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY80jCqljE8  

What a nashaa' listening to SJ... noteworthy
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 am

Super find App ji! First time? Excellent performance by Malavika. the clap Singers don't have to dance and don't need dancers around them and don't need audience and other singers to dance for them. See the amount of complexity in singing, especially the emotions (not that high pitch kaththal as in western pop) in the song. Great to know there is such show which is running silently, whereas SS4 is running the show devoid of singing capabilities and looking for additional capabilities which are not at all needed for a play back singer. Shows like this could be a better answer to SS4.

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Found 'Lalitha Priya kamalam' by Hemachandra & Geetha Madhuri from SS7 (same series), Lovely singing from the both of them, excellent work by the orchestra. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drb9hjcP6aA

Anyone mind translating what Chandrabose is saying in the end about IR ?
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 am

Enathu Vizhi Vazhi mele - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGb82FXkYZc

first second (plate thattifying) to last second - non-stop thriller!

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:52 am

Manathil oru title song, transferred to a dream world for a couple of minutes - goosebumps everytime I hear it

In fact title music ku Mattume oru thani thread irukkanum..

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 pm

I have been so haunted by this again, unable to leave the song for days. manasa pizhinju edukkuthu. Antha tune, swarangaL, alapana, veena, flute, SPB's singing.
ala paitalEsE selapaata vinna
giriveena meete jalapaatamanna
nalOna sagE aalaapanaa raagaaloo teesE alOchanaa

jardaratala naatyam aravirula marulakaavyam
egasi egasi naalo gaLa madoovooladigE gaanam
niduralEche naalO hRudayamE

avEsamantha aalaapanElE edalayalO naalO jvalinchE varNaala rachanaa
naalO jalinchE swaraalaa

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:40 pm

We were having a send-off lunch today. I was driving and one of my colleague (she is a Chinese) joined me. IR songs were playing very mildly as we were talking. She knows that I listen to lot of music. Suddenly she asked me to increase the volume, I don't know why. She was totally surprised and her eyes brightened as she listened to them. Mind you, this is the first time she is listening to anything Indian. She expressed that she never listened to these kind of soothing music at all. She was even asking me about the instruments that are played in the song. I gave her all the details (was waiting for an opportunity Smile). When Chitra started singing, she could not come out of the song and our conversation totally stopped. I could understand that she was totally mesmerized by the songs. Returning back to office she reminded to play those songs again and also asked me to give the links to the songs. I forgot about it and as usual engaged in work. She came to my desk and asked me for links again. I never thought that she would be so interested. Only when I gave her the songs she left me. She was blown away by the melody, tabla, singing and what not, as she expressed. She insisted that I give more songs by tomorrow, as she is leaving the company tomorrow. Do you want to know what songs were playing in the car?

http://www.raaga.com/channels/telugu/moviedetail.asp?mid=a0000009

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 pm

VS,
  Thanks for the picks........ Telugu IR.. something different..........  love a lot..........

april 1 vidudhala  - Best Album.............

okkadae asa -  lovely Interludes.........

ompula vaikari   --  Great Chorus...........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 am

Interesting experience V_S! So what songs are you planning to give her now? Smile

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:20 am

General Announcement:
Obviously, some staunch anti-IR people cannot stomach the kind of incisive and musical analyses you all provide here.
My request to the knowledgeable friends is to please refrain from engaging with such characters.
We are a democratic forum so we will give sufficient chances for trolls to reform themselves and talk music if they can. Failing which, we will have to take extreme options
But the knowledgeable people that you are, I would like you all to continue the insightful discussions and ignore the crap. 

One of the reasons I had to reduce my discussions here was the realisation that a lot of you are far more knowledgeable in music than me and have a lot more to offer than me in creating an insightful site for music.
We will not trolls who are even less knowledgeable than me to derail that aim.
I am sure each of you IR fans who have been discussing with such sagacity and wisdom know that there is a lot of value you are creating here. 
I thank you all deeply and all I request of you is continue your good work and let us deal with the political rowdies sent by vested interests.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks Usha ji. Yes, fantastic songs. That too, when a totally new person express their liking, it becomes more fantastic and as a fan, I become so proud. Smile

fring151, Whichever IR song we think, it is gold. Might be this, since I got this recently and also in good quality. Smile

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 13 2urmdltManadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 13 O5vsrc

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:46 am

Excellent choice V_S ji! Great song collection. The very first song on that CD should be enough Smile .Guruvayurappa NAn kOnda is a song I have been listening to a lot lately. The blissful piano prelude, funky synth and violin laden interludes. SPB's playful improvisations are another plus. Overall nice mix of melodic classical and orchestral brilliance in this compilation.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

So here we go - one of the best orchestrated songs in history of Indian Film Music.
The movie is about kids and a genie and his master who wants to get genie back.
Now the genie wants to get back to his master-not out of love, but out of fear that
the master would harm the children. But he has to stay back as long as children have
 wishes that he has to fulfill. Children being children plan to overwhelm the genie with
wishes and there we have a song where the genie goes on wish granting spree.
Maestro being the genie that he is for producers, directors and music lovers seems hellbent to
 outdo the genie 'musically'. And he does this with ease. Here is what the recipe he has used to
cook this song..
1. haunting harmony to kick off the prelude (all said and done the genie is a chaathaan and his tricks are
    that of a ghost - right?)
2. 2 sets of violins counterpointing each other creating a flood of notes that best explain the feeling of wonder that
    only children are blessed to experience.
3. A rivetting, free flowing - yet very simple pallavi sung by the best Malayalam singer Dr.K.J.Yesudas
    He owns the tune right at Minnaa  - I am flat.
4. As the Dr. applies his soothing vocal magic, the rhythm for the vocal part is set by simple drums and a smooth guitar strain and something
   must be said about this guitar - it is also heard in the first interlude - very twangy - sweet sound the way the guitarist has played the
   strings of it - it is like caressing peacock feathers.
5. Eclectic bass lines go on their own track creating a super soft bed for the violins and lead guitar.
6. The interludes are sonic representation of the genie's works - they are tumultuous, wonder inducing and serene.
7. The charanam is sheer beauty, there is a to and fro - back and forth between Dr.K.J.Yesudas and a violin section (particularly poovu punnaagayO).

Heavenly delight this song and a perfect proof that Raaja is not a product of his environment (thamizh film music sphere) though he is from his environment - Maybe that is why he is resented - praised but with reservations. Human ear cannot lie - This has to be deva sangeetham - even when applied to the antics of a chaathaan(genie)

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Oh boy. The way my heart leaps at "kalkkaNdilO kadanja yedhu kaigaLO" oh boy that flight with heart with only the tune. Incredible!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 am

continuing on with this song.. some things i missed out - frankly due to being overwhelmed..
1. The way female choir has been used - not as a standalone harmony section, but as a counterpoint or in many ways
    counterpart to a violin crescendo - I can give it in writing - no one else has done this.
2. I can distinctly hear 3 types of guitar - bass, accoustic and electric - bass gets particularly busy when lead singer is singing and as usual, their section
    is equally rich in melody.
3. percussion - drums, synth pad and bongos - they appear and disappear in different sections
4. Male harmony that completes KJY's crescendo with a "Heyyy thaga thaga" arranged in 2 different pitch - It is an outworldly feel listening to it - spooky
And many more..
Single most statement of Raaja's stamp of superiority and the best Malayalam song ever.. Sorry thumbee vaa - you gotta move 2 steps back.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:43 pm

jai,
As usual superb write-up on one of the most soulful song ever. the clap

jaiganesh wrote:This has to be deva sangeetham - even when applied to the antics of a chaathaan(genie)
Excellently put! thumbsup

jaiganesh wrote:Single most statement of Raaja's stamp of superiority and the best Malayalam song ever.. Sorry thumbee vaa - you gotta move 2 steps back.
LOL I agree.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I landed upon this beauty after a long long time. enno tyagala dhasyama from Shiva (2006). The male chorus which Ravi is looking for. Maestro surprises us by opting for male choir for full pallavi and chips himself in only from charanam. The solo violin in first interlude is icing on the cake. Another reason the song touched me more specially today is it has the roots of kaattu vazhi thunbam illai (Thandavakone) with his mild mediterranean feel in its arrangements and feeble feel in the tune. Maestro seals the soul with his immaculate voice. On loop every time (read it like Madhavan's Arun Excello on time every time Wink).

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 pm

In addition to that, I think the string section towards the end of the first interlude is a 'signature' ilaiyaraaja section - It is not expensive - but pensive, on the edge and minimal - modernist - Seems like done with one keyboard and one guitar (or a santoor and guitar). Its melody is not a standalone - but more a ramp integral to the song to lead into the charanam.. And yes Maestro's voice in Hindi and Telugu - fits and evokes the frustrating feeling appropriate..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 pm

If I am not mistaken, My Dear Kuttichaathan, is where IR used symphonic sounds in film songs first. My 'Guru' CD has My Dear Kuttichaathan as a bonus !!!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Thenna marathula thendral adikudhu

Mudhal mudhalil.. radio vivinth barath il.. add il kaeten..... stanza epadi irukum.. acharyamga kaathirnudhen......

padam release agi, Neyar virupam nigazhchiyil.. full paataiyum kaetom... adhaiyum maraka mudiyadhu...

3rd time kaekum podhu, en anna........ sonnan..... aerial poi pidikaren....paatai kelu.Guitar sound varum kelu nu.....

indha paatu arambichadhum.... sila seconds il....... kaetuden...  avvalavu dhanae nu kaeten.............Razz Shocked . thalaiyil
adichindan en anna..  apo onum puriyalai...........Embarassed 

ipo dhane puriyaradhu. full paatukum vara guitar sound...   ipadi kaetu iruken. Radio vil indha paatuku Guitar satham

kaekaradhu romba kashtam dhan.........

IR songs. sila paatuku.. youtube il sound quality romba nalla irukum.............  indha paatuku youtube. periya vishayam.
Thanks to RajsMed...........

en Sankar solrar.. IR in veetil.. avaroda set il.. indha paatai kaetaram..............  Nichayam sound Excellent aga irundhu 
irukum................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCL4jGJwsHc

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next