Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 8 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm

VaangO sir, Welcome back. Very Happy enga sir poyiteenga. Back with a nice post. I too was bowled by that Puthiya theerangaL title music which I shared in BGM thread I think.

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 8 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  kv Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Nandri, VSji! Thanks to office, I think I've become socially numb, of sorts.

Anyway, been listening to some Maand songs over the last few days. Did the customary check in Thiraipaadal to see if there are any Raaja songs listed and chanced upon this lovely number - vanna chindu (kOvil kaalai); never heard it before. I'm still not able to say if Maand's characteristic D2-D1-D2 phrase (chromatic notes in the avarohanam) occurs in this song but hell, who else can come up with such lovely folk tunes that flirt with carnatic ragams mostly unfamiliar to the genre?
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1731'&lang=en

(IIRC, there was talk about a Maand number in the canned Padithurai, no?)

(Here's a clip of apashruthi mani talking about Maand and some popular songs tuned in the scale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT9hm8pajZs)
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 am

Beautiful pick kv. VaNNa Chindhu is very famous those days. I think I still have that cassette back at my home in India. Every song is fabulous. Is it maand? From the tone, it looks like it, comparing the songs in the video which charulatha mani presented, skr/sureshji can confirm. Thanks for the video.

BTW, you have reminded of padiththurai. That padiththurai song still lingers in my mind; unna maathiri yaarum ingu illaiyE (sung by Bela ShindE). How sad it will not see its light of the day Crying or Very sad

The song starts from 0:33 (in the below video). What a song! Every song is so good. Yaaraavathu intha aniyaayatha Aarya kitta kEkka mudiyaatha. I have already recorded this video to mp3 for my alpa santhosham and listening whenever I feel to listen. Before they take it out, please do so.Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 am

Vaayyaa KV, welcome back. Office-aa illai, indha aasai 60 mogam 30 'mbaaingaLE adhuvaa cool3

Rengarajanrelations anyway. doublethumbsup

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 pm

iyam still a yeng ya. yen nallavela, innum mannu lorry edhuvum mOdhala. Don't keep the mouths, vokay?
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

vsji, thanks for the padithurai link. Yeah, all the song bits in this are really lovely. aana namma kuduppana avalo dhaan pOla. padam kedakkattum, paattayaavadhu veliyittu tholaikkalaam. adhuvum seyya maataanga. dastardly fellows.
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Oops, KV. Somebody from this forum (Plum? B(K)? ) said you were getting married.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Welcome back KV Anand. Wishoo a kappy married life

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 am

SPB-SJ Telugu classic chandamama ghandamanduko from Merupudaadi. I die for that santoor/flute conversation at the end of first interlude and santoor/synth conversation at the end of second interlude. Great tune!. SPB's smooth voice and SJ's innocent voice combined with 'expression' in their singing makes us more involved in the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktCxi5L6xFg

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

KV is back Suspect nalvazhthukkals
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:12 am

covers of Raaja deserves a separate thread, never heard anyone try this song on guitar

also check out Prema Ledhani aka Naalum Enn manam and Vanitha Mani from the same channel.

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 am

Yov Wizzy (sorry for the rudeness), I was watching it on youtube side, and then saw the link to "Anbai Sumanthu" song. I have not watched Ponnumani properly. I clicked on it...and mind you..am at office. Just listening (just audio) makes me teary eyed; but watching the visual made it worst. Gosh, what a composition, and RVU made it even more sadder....oh man....pArumyA...pArum.... Sad

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm

vaazhga kv... valarga um kulam...

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm

VS and Wizzy,
Thanks for the links................ Wizzy..there is a big list of IR songs............... Surprised

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Best Performance. like a lot.

ennodu vaa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCM_nUPTP0&list=UUE70h3Z84QkEh4SmEe_9ELw&index=17

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Usha ji,
Please listen to all songs of merupu daadi (1984) here, in case you haven't. Beautiful songs.
http://www.song.cineradham.com/song.php?movieid=2111

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 pm

groucho070 wrote:Yov Wizzy (sorry for the rudeness), I was watching it on youtube side, and then saw the link to "Anbai Sumanthu" song. I have not watched Ponnumani properly. I clicked on it...and mind you..am at office. Just listening (just audio) makes me teary eyed; but watching the visual made it worst. Gosh, what a composition, and RVU made it even more sadder....oh man....pArumyA...pArum.... Sad

Why Karthik making love to Sivakumar's deadbody?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:27 am

plum wrote:
groucho070 wrote:Yov Wizzy (sorry for the rudeness), I was watching it on youtube side, and then saw the link to "Anbai Sumanthu" song. I have not watched Ponnumani properly. I clicked on it...and mind you..am at office. Just listening (just audio) makes me teary eyed; but watching the visual made it worst. Gosh, what a composition, and RVU made it even more sadder....oh man....pArumyA...pArum.... Sad

Why Karthik making love to Sivakumar's deadbody?

:necrophile: is this a first in TFI Smile
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Hahaha, plum and wizzy. Anyway, that's one of the last of Karthik's fantastic performance. Looking at his resume...his highs and lows...now...don't you think that IR played a part? Karthik is ain't no Kamal or Rajini (or NT of the 70s/80s) who can hold on to their own, but with Prabhu, Ramarajan, Mohan, the whole bunch of those burst through the screen in the 80s...what happened to their performance when IR was no longer composing for them..hmmm? SollungganE, sollungga!

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

VS.
Merupu paadi... ipadi oru padamae theiryadhu.... idhu dhan first time kaekaren.. ellam kaetadhu ilai. kaetutu solren......
Thanks for the link................

Poonkaattinodum.. very good video and Excellent audio quality. IR songs.. sila videos.. Good audio kaga kaekalam. parkalam.Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKBklmoxQi0

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 am

Sai Vignesh singing ooru vittu ooru vanthu. Excellent attempt for his age. thumbsup

We know an anthemic song in Shanmugapriya; marainthirunthu paarkum. Still that followed the template and genre so religiously. I could never imagine Shanmugapriya can be ripped apart like how Maestro does still following the norms strictly. pirichchu mEinjirukaaru! noteworthy As much joy I get watching the visuals with MV annan's ruthless singing and GM annan's uninhibited dancing, much I cry thinking how Maestro has conceived this very song in his mind and executed. In the second interlude, when he switches rapidly between thavil/nadaswaram and synth/horns effortlessly, I go mad. There are kuthu songs which makes us happy, but along with ecstasy, when I wonder about his audacity, automatically tears flow out. anthar mass!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Nice share, V_Sji!

MV adichchuk kalakki irukkAr!

oru kosuRu info : pAttu ezhudhinadhu director dhAn Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks App ji. Yes, I know about the lyricist for this movie for sure. I forget about it as usual when posting. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  raghav316 Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 am

classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vp2cC5nKBo

raghav316

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Now that all the dust of 2009 has settled down - let me state the obvious - Madhiya chennai is one monstrous album.

It tips Paa easily .

One song is enough..

http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR4235'&lang=en

ELavayasu pasangaLa

A typical boys ogling at a modern dress girl and passing advice comments song - beaten to death in thamizh cinima.
Raaja himself has done tonnes of such songs before - yet he pulls a rabbit out of the hat for this song - why I dont know, but i am
not complaining. The song starts in a modern hip hop style with sax adding that touch of jazz in bass.There is a funky synth refrain that
suggests a fun mood for the song (early days he would have 'wah wahed' it - more of a sliding wah wah.). The rhythm is the constant hip hod
but the singing is mostly local - the edginess of hip hop singing is replaced with cheerful banter and cool rhythmic vocalizations. Just like a college
canteen chatter among boys. Singers(Thippu,ranjith and satyan?) understand pretty much what is required and stay well within the limits. Tippu and Ranjith are allowed to give some flourishes - at carefully plotted points in timeline(precision of those flourishes in the whole flow of the song is awesome). There are so many threads running in the bass section - nothing is distinct - but collectively they provide a cool background as the boys keep the song coming. Interlude is a crucial juncture in any song and the first interlude soon arrives and it is in line with the song's hip hop structure. We move on to a 'uyya uyya ' humming nicely vocalized by the boys that sets up the charanam1. the charanam itself is so melodic - it is a delight to sing this charanam knowing that the words are silly - but the phrasing is catchy, particularly one has to observe how chorus echo words and vocalizations (the aahs and oohs in one place and the 'koduththu koduththu' ) kind of counterpoint the lead track singing nicely. Then we reach a crucial second interlude - which is signature 'hold your breath guys' point in post 2005 raaja albums. The hip hop veers off into a rock style phrase briefly with elec guitar and single violin amping up the voltage and wattage of the song - now we are in stratosphere(as listeners suddenly catapaulted) and we expected to fly in the sky of rock music - but raaja is one crazy pilot. He changes the color of the sky to prussian blue (cyan) carnatic with the very same single violin plays out a raaga which is suprisingly in the same raaga contour of the interlude with a steady mridhangam and we start wondering - why this sudden shift to carnatic in a 'eve teasing' song? - well the answer is in the charanam 2 - there it spells out the 'greatness' of our culture (yeah.. yada yada) and our way of living dressing etc. So nothing happens in Raaja's world without a purpose - because unlike the real GOD who has put us in a chaotic spin, Raaja is a benevolent GOD creating musical universe with singular purpose of enriching the context - So we rest assured when the song ends , one of the 'busy' so far invisible background bass culprits becomes visible and that sound has been so uniquely crafted that it adds up to the bass overall (all through out the song), but as a stand alone 'theermaanam' piece too it has its own cool melody. Now we can exit to our reality bereft of such purposeful beauty.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next