Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 7 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  sagi Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Can't get this song out of my mind. An unnoticed song from a superhit album (nesamaaththaanunga) Kaadhal Kavithai. "Hey konjippEsu kOvam koNda kaNNammA". idhappOyi tittal song-aa use panniruppaainga. One of the very few Prashanth films I have seen on big screen. Whatever little run it had was undoubtedly because of the songs. Hariharan notwithstanding still love this album.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1332'&lang=en

sagi

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 7 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  plum Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Oh it was most tfmpage IR fans' favourite when the album was released - this along with the nalladhor veenai "Alai Meedhu" which IR nalangeda gave to bhava and Agaththiyan played as a song playing on radio in a London riverside restaurant!

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

epdinna I think even *vijayr* favourited it.. Smile
(Not that he was anti-IR those days but the nextgen of forumhub will have a different image of him hence have to stress)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 am

During today morning's drive to work, tripped over Darling Darling from Priya sung by PS. The mulitple repeats being not enough, did one final listen in the parking lot as well. What a rocking composition this is and beautifully sung by PS. As to the interludes, App's statement comes to mind "A lifetime of posting is not enough for just interlude", can't agree more with you App. Just waiting for the day when you will feature this song in the PS thread.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:54 am

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2348'&lang=en

ங்கொக்காமக்கா டிவைன்! Great song to listen in mornings ! BoopaaLam effect!
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Sakalakala Vallavar wrote:http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2348'&lang=en

ங்கொக்காமக்கா டிவைன்! Great song to listen in mornings ! BoopaaLam effect!

Awesome, fantastic orchestration without affecting the beauty of the
Indian melody.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 am

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2345'&lang=en WhatABeauty. (கோடி இன்பம் மேனியெங்கும் பாய்ந்ததம்மம்மா - நெஞ்சிலாடும் பூ ஒன்று)

Looked into Appji's excel. ஆனால் அவர் இந்தப்பாட்டைப்பத்தி எழுதவில்லை..படம் வெளியாகவே இல்லை போல தெரிகிறது

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 am

Nerd wrote:அவர் இந்தப்பாட்டைப்பத்தி எழுதவில்லை..படம் வெளியாகவே இல்லை போல தெரிகிறது

AhA - missed!

This song and MV's 'oru moodan kadhai sonnAl en kadhai adhu dhAn' were both regular on radio. (Probably IOKS as the movie possibly didn't get released).

I've been organizing those SPB hits according to year (and was searching for songs too on that basis). Only now I realize that thiraippadal also has movies without listing the year (Year "Not Available" it says).

Also, I don't remember connecting these songs to IR during the radio era Sad Somehow they registered in my mind as either GA or SG. (musicalaya's vinyl cover says IR, so no question on that)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 7 Empty Nenjil AAdum poo ondru - jinxed venture

Post  mythila Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm

app saying " Also, I don't remember connecting these songs to IR" - Blasphemy big time !!!

Though I like the MalayamArudham beauty "kOdi inbam" to the hilt, it is the sheer musical opulence of "vaanam enge" with that incessant drone of guitar driving the rythm , Janaki's dew fresh exuberance in rendition, unpredictable charanam that starts so beautifully with Janaki singing "neeraadum theerthangaL pOlOdum vaNNangaL oorgOlam pOgattum " followed by a sweet surprise, I mean, scale shift in the following line "ini maalai nErangaL kadal sOlai vaarangaL" , all breath stealing, I say. . Wow!!! I reiterate once again. Only Raja has exhibitted this kind of mastery. Too many good things packed in this song and a valid reason for "kOdi inbam" to be pipped in favour of "Vaanam enge" . For me "Vaanam enge" occupies one of the top ten places among Raja songs.

Wish these two songs get a new lease of life, as is, in some current film.

-thumburu

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 pm

app_engine wrote:
Also, I don't remember connecting these songs to IR during the radio era Sad Somehow they registered in my mind as either GA or SG. (musicalaya's vinyl cover says IR, so no question on that)

It would have been ok, if you had mistaken it for Rahman's :-) . Look at the constant conga loop, but with varying guitar chords , in the first interlude a solo violin is laid over it, next a distortion guitar/veena., then flute etc Just like what the younger fellows call - layers. Our man has been there ..way before and done that :-)
Very good, but the electric bass of vaanam enge is very appealing to me though..But I will take both.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:41 am

kiru wrote:
app_engine wrote:

It would have been ok, if you had mistaken it for Rahman's :-) . Look at the constant conga loop, but with varying guitar chords , in the first interlude a solo violin is laid over it, next a distortion guitar/veena., then flute etc Just like what the younger fellows call - layers. Our man has been there ..way before and done that :-)
Very good, but the electric bass of vaanam enge is very appealing to me though..But I will take both.

You have put it absolutely right Kiru. and if you actually see, the orchestration is not too overpowering... it is as if he composed a normal song. No grand opening prelude etc. the raaga-handling is deep, but the wrapping around the song is pretty non-opulent. Those interludes precisely reveal his genius.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 am

Every morning starts with this song and ends with this song for the past two days. An excellent jugalbandhi between electric guitar and mridangam. The song start innocently with a mild flute, as if it leads to a serene early morning melody (is the raagam bhoopaLam or bowLi), but once the guitar and mridangam starts, it races like a bullet. I never heard mridangam played so fast for longer period of time like this. Rock guitar, female chorus and mridangam conversation during the first interlude pumps energy. When charanam starts, we can feel the real power of IR, racy mridangam supporting the melody. Only very few songs of IR fall into a category where he suspends the charanam completely for guitar and mridangam to abruptly grab the charanam and rip apart, then handling over to the singer. Please hear how fast guitar is played here. Female chorus in second interlude bring some sort of calmness to the song overall, only to take over by racy mridangam and synth again. That guitar and mridangam during the 'suspended' charanam ripping me like never. Only one singer can bring life to this composition and you know whom. Smile

It's a pity that directly completely lost his mind when picturizing this song, not understanding a bit what this composition has offered him and his film. Never thought it would be wasted like this. How many like this?
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=264520&mode=100&rand=0.22263162001036108

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am

V_S wrote:
Every morning starts with this song and ends with this song for the past two days. An excellent jugalbandhi between electric guitar and mridangam. The song start innocently with a mild flute, as if it leads to a serene early morning melody (is the raagam bhoopaLam or bowLi), but once the guitar and mridangam starts, it races like a bullet. I never heard mridangam played so fast for longer period of time like this. Rock guitar, female chorus and mridangam conversation during the first interlude pumps energy. When charanam starts, we can feel the real power of IR, racy mridangam supporting the melody. Only very few songs of IR fall into a category where he suspends the charanam completely for guitar and mridangam to abruptly grab the charanam and rip apart, then handling over to the singer. Please hear how fast guitar is played here. Female chorus in second interlude bring some sort of calmness to the song overall, only to take over by racy mridangam and synth again. That guitar and mridangam during the 'suspended' charanam ripping me like never. Only one singer can bring life to this composition and you know whom. Smile

It's a pity that directly completely lost his mind when picturizing this song, not understanding a bit what this composition has offered him and his film. Never thought it would be wasted like this. How many like this?
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=264520&mode=100&rand=0.22263162001036108

WTF was that! your post once again takes me to the same thought - "no matter how many songs we have/collect/listen, we still keep finding something that we dont have". This song is a new to me. and heck, its amazing! heading to flipkart now, to buy this! thanks to pointing out this stunner!
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 am

thumburu,

Spot on and excellent description of 'vaanam enge'. I will give anything to hear that Jeyachandran entry. As I was reading the words of the song, my mind was humming it. There was a lovely series in 'Dhool' where Saravanan discussed about some of the unreleased and not often heard songs. I can take many of them into Raja's top 10 songs: 'manadhil enna ninaivugalo', 'yaar thoorigai', 'adhilkaalai nerame' etc. I have a tape which has all these and I don't play it often. I can't handle this much beauty in one go !!!

Now listening to 'thenrl varum theru' title song. What a peacful and melodic number !!! I still can't understand why the heroini is compared to a 'theru' (my wife keeps asking me this) but inspite of that, it is a great melody.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Vaanam engae, somehow feels like a well-rounded melody. it is just perfect. The path of the tune makes me feel as if it had to go that way only and in no other fashion. And mind you, that amazing orchestration. Even the sub-standard quality version that we are hearing now seems so attractive, thanks to the way Raaja executed this song. Imagine if this song is re-recorded today (like Saara yeh aalam). with those guitars and strings! Phenomenal!
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Degam Pon Degam begs us to hear in highest quality. It was even re-released by Agi music titled Isaiyin Isai (I think vol. 7) recently, but the quality is horrible. That's the quality even raaga.com has. I don't know what that guy is doing with all these treasures. Every body is making money out of Raja, but no one is returning back any form of service to him and his listeners.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 pm

aruNa kiraNa deepam after a long time Smile

Of course, the song gets played in the mind often. (In the recent times, kAtRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn often got superimposed with this song in the mind).

What a song!

Easily one of the all-time-best-works of any Indian musician!

The film's director (Rajiv Anjal) would have had a heart attack trying to picturize the song Laughing

(Don't want to post the youtube here as it's no match to this grandeur of a song)!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 am

chinna chinna solleduththu sondham solla nee pO thoodhu

the yearning and sorrow gets you effortlessly. (also it went *into* the tune effortlessly as we all know). beautiful progressions in the charaNam. orchestration is not something that makes you sit up and notice but envelopes the song so beautifully. Jesudas outlining the musicality and Janaki outlining the pathos of the melody.

கேட்டுட்டே இருக்க வேண்டியது தான்.

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  raghav316 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 am

Adi Aathadi

i know this song has been talked about a million times,its my turn now Smile.

definitely the best "I have Fallen In love" song ever.this is the ultimate.the change the couple feel in themselves,nervousness,joy,celebration etc all emotions come in as a fusion..the second interlude,magic..dont have to be in love to feel that..wonder what would have gone in Raaja sir's mind when he composed or sang it..

being a fan or not i dunno,but i am just thinking this,Raaja sir composes these songs for films,situations in it.but how lucky we are to use it in life.be it love,family bonding,inspiration,devotion,attitude..be it anything we use his songs with or without our knowledge..thats the success i guess..

raghav316

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

raghav316 wrote:being a fan or not i dunno,but i am just thinking this,Raaja sir composes these songs for films,situations in it.but how lucky we are to use it in life.be it love,family bonding,inspiration,devotion,attitude..be it anything we use his songs with or without our knowledge..thats the success i guess..
Absolutely! Well said raghav.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Yesterday almost two hours of non stop 'Chandralekha' and 'Time' songs. Both superb albums but which unfortunately were not 'hits'. I have covered 'arumbu thalire' in my Raja90s blog. The other terrific song from 'Chandralekha' is 'analthanil vaaduml'. What a song but I definitely would have preferred Chitra or Swarnalatha to Bhava. The tune and orchestration is terrific.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0436'&lang=en

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 am

The night before Deepavali, we will do padaiyal for those who passed on. As such, we'd do for our parent's late parents. After the prayers come the best part. Dad would mix all the food on the banana leaf, rice, kozhambu, the vegetables, appalam, all except the sweets and fruit, and make them into balls and serve us. Bloody delicious, I tell you.

That's what I feel when I listed to these kinda composition, jazz, rock, wcm, folk, whatever, pOttu kalandu oru ball-la sapudara mAthiri oru feel. I have no other words to explain the feeling:

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 pm

'Niram Pirithu Paarthen' from 'Time'. I had put up a tweet saying that those who loved 'satru munbu' and 'vaanam mella' from NEPV should consider this song and marked it to the usual suspects. Surprisingly, I received a personal message from a music lover (not a theevira Raja fan) thanking me and saying that his 3 month old kid slept peacefully listening to this song. Then he sent one more message saying that his wife heard the song from the next room and wants it loaded on her mobile. So my good deed for the day was done Very Happy

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3714'&lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWnBT3hR24A

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 am

Ponnar Shankar on loop. How to describe this wonder?

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 pm

mytakku - puthiya theerangal title BGM! whoa! Raaja you beauty! So seemingly uncomplicated yet so evocative and soulful.

And led me to two other favorites:

nadhalala trailer - the starting (kinda asynchronous) beats followed by the flute - bloody thing leaves me in tears almost every time.

Mathiya chennai - that bass guitar... ngomm...

kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next