Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 24 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 pm

contd...

He returned my call and wanted to know where I was and wanted to meet me immediately (due to circumstances, we haven't met for a decade). I wondered, that fellow is in Chennai and I'm at Dindigul...

He asked me to get out of the bus as he'll reach the bus station in minutes to meet me Smile
(We met briefly and thus I had to change the bus).

The next bus I got into welcomed me with the terrific "kaN maNiyE pEsu" Smile

In a second, I got transported to college days (when I listened to the very song on a similar trip).

It felt so good to listen to rAsA and recognize that he still has his segment on TN buses!

What a satisfaction!!

The bus continued with rAsA for 30 minutes or so. There was some crowd for a small place in-between (Vadamadurai) and the bus had many people standing...

And I noticed this middle aged lady "singing along" varam thandha sAmikku and such classics while having to travel standing! She was even tapping her fingers on the handle above the seat that she used as support while standing...

I also looked at the relaxed faces of other passengers who seemed to enjoy the soothing songs, those classics of rAsA!

Reminded me of the 1000's of bus trips when multiple difficulties of travel were simply wiped-off merely by a single rAsA song that got played on the occasion!

(Well, beyond those 30 min, I had to endure torture for 1 hour or so Embarassed The driver switched to older NT solos - which I could normally live with for 15 minutes or so max. If classics, a little longer. However, these were no classics - stuff like 'nadhiyinil veLLam karaiyinil neruppu', 'nANayam manushanukku avasiyam', 'nenju poRukkudhillaiyE' etc)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 24 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  Usha Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

app_engine wrote:contd...

(Well, beyond those 30 min, I had to endure torture for 1 hour or so :oops:The driver switched to older NT solos - which I could normally live with for 15 minutes or so max. If classics, a little longer. However, these were no classics - stuff like 'nadhiyinil veLLam karaiyinil neruppu', 'nANayam manushanukku avasiyam', 'nenju poRukkudhillaiyE' etc)

app,
 Very Happy   Laughing .. enaku indha experiences - during my 20s.. kedachu iruku.. Raja songs kaeta sandhosham apadiaye kanama poi irukum... pidikadha paatu vandhale... adhuuvm ipadi bus trip il.. romba kashtama irukum.....
Thalaivaiyae varum sila samayam....

apo varum oru feelings.. BUs la irundhu apaidyae kudhichidanam nu............ Mad 

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:34 am

app_engine wrote:BTW, I came to this thread to post the nice experience of a recent visit to a hamlet in TN where loudspeakers were blasting their preferred numbers for a marriage function...

Except the "Adiyila sEthi solli" by Deva, all the other songs that got blasted out were IR-folk of 80's, leading me to conclude that such numbers continue to thrill the TN villagers...(Interestingly, the audio fellow also played "Asaiyila pAththi katti" within minutes after playing that KSC number by Deva Laughing)

It was pullarips to hear 'andha nelAvaththAn' alone, with no other MM songs on that loudspeaker-cast!

authority on TN villages reckons only AR's 'Maanuthu Mandhayule' gets played on all occasions and rants on adakkam/headweight/seevu
Ratman reduces Woody Allen to Vivek level,  are they getting senile or just white lies  Suspect 

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54 am

One of my top discoveries of 2013 

Vidaitha vidhai - As V_Sji says, a brilliant Darabari kAnada fusion. The climax of the song for me is around 1:16, when after the frenzied guitar strumming and picking, the sudden violin strokes with the gentle tabla beats in the background evoke a state of suspended animation . The second interlude also has some fantastic Veena-guitar fusion. The pallavi melody is instantly catchy- in my recent Chennai trip,nearly everyone who caught me whistling this tune or playing it on the guitar immediately asked me what song it was and wondered how they hadn't heard it. Smile .  I have actually come to like this more than the other eternal favourite in the rAgam- Aagaya veNNilAve. This is also a more sprightly, buoyant song. Yes, despite what Prabhu's comical prancing movements and risible gymnastics suggest, I have always considered Aagaya VeNNilAve to be a song for a much heavier situation. Here is Vidaitha vidhai:

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm

fring151 wrote:One of my top discoveries of 2013 

Vidaitha vidhai - As V_Sji says, a brilliant Darabari kAnada fusion. The climax of the song for me is around 1:16, when after the frenzied guitar strumming and picking, the sudden violin strokes with the gentle tabla beats in the background evoke a state of suspended animation . The second interlude also has some fantastic Veena-guitar fusion. The pallavi melody is instantly catchy- in my recent Chennai trip,nearly everyone who caught me whistling this tune or playing it on the guitar immediately asked me what song it was and wondered how they hadn't heard it. Smile .  I have actually come to like this more than the other eternal favourite in the rAgam- Aagaya veNNilAve. This is also a more sprightly, buoyant song. Yes, despite what Prabhu's comical prancing movements and risible gymnastics suggest, I have always considered Aagaya VeNNilAve to be a song for a much heavier situation.

Heard it first a couple of years back in a Twitter Raaja quiz from the 1st interlude and one of my all time favorites now. Terrific song. Raaja's unique brand of fusion, i.e. not fusion but the genres interwoven so tightly between the grains and pixels that it's impossible to prise them out from inside this one song.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Thiruvannamalai 2 weeks back. Rajangahame dhAn engengum. nInga poi sollikittE irungadA. itunesla selavu paNNum pretensive 30+ pasanga support mattum ungaLukku. vAimai vellum.
poi sonna vAikku iRaivan veppAn Appu

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 am

Wizzy wrote:
authority on TN villages reckons only AR's 'Maanuthu Mandhayule' gets played on all occasions and rants on adakkam/headweight/seevu
Ratman reduces Woody Allen to Vivek level,  are they getting senile or just white lies  Suspect 

Well. he did not just say 'maanuthu mandhaiyilE' is popular .. it was paasamalr song then and now it is Rahman song..
Oh my goodness.. what happened to some 30 years worth of contribution from a dear friend ???
Like they say in tamil.. naakula narambu illathanala .. ethuvEnumnaalum pEsalam..
Well.. lesson for all us ..like that Clapton song.. 'nobody knows you when you are down and out' (only commercially for IR)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:20 pm

kiru wrote:
Like they say in tamil.. naakula narambu illathanala .. ethuvEnumnaalum pEsalam..

When someone is truly speaking truth, there is no need to have the intro "indRu nAn solvadhellAm uNmai (nEththu mundhA nAL ellam poi sollith tholaiththEn)" Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Absolutely in love with this Chiru song:
http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCgQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D85q8IZ-c3hQ&ei=OAzUUrS-IMuUrgeWnYHgCQ&usg=AFQjCNE5mdmt2rmWSUVOhhwDb3QPLLX3Hw

Naneelokam rammanalEdhu
nEnI janmanu immanalEdhu
sardhaga nenochEsA
Vishranti lEnE lEdhu
Vishranti lEnE lEdhu

"vishrAnti lEnE lEdhu" - Veturi rocks

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 am

While scanning thru the 1986 IR songs to determine "hit" status, got a chance to listen to this song for the first time ever, from "enakku nAnE needhipathi" :

ichchendru ichchendru muththam

KJY-SJ number in a familiar 80's style, with some sweet drumming - ordinary pAdal varigaL but given an exotic feel by the terrific singer pair!

The album also has KSC singing a "thirudA thirudA" song in a style somewhat alien to her Shocked

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

http://www.radiospathy.com/2014/01/blog-post_16.html

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_f71niWZU0

Soulful composition ....... Soulful Renditiion........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:24 am

my favourite #Raja90s song:

https://soundcloud.com/balamani-1/kathum-kuyile-kathum-kuyile-un

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 pm

nee paadhi naan paadhi kannaa.... ahir bhairavi with flute, guitar pattukku paattu! I love you

Last edited by baroque on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 am

Replaced with Raja Paattu....
thanks, App_Eng   Very Happy

Jazzy piano roll and upbeat Raja dance number!

kaalam kaalamaaga....

Last edited by baroque on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Anbu malargalin solai idhu

http://tamiltunes.com/kannukku-mai-ezhuthu.html

Alltime favourite. Close to my Heart......... Soulful Renditiion of SJ....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fbMuuWvpI
Heard this in the agi music IR-SPB hits vol-2.
Another gem - the hero is "narrating" - not "singing" - yet it is a song.
How do you tune it? How to lay the background arrangement for such a situation.
Raaja cracks this challenge with aplomb.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 am

Raja's pathos... paadu nilaave.....S.P.B and Janu, I was enjoying while driving this afternoon.
Gorgeous strings for Vaasanthi rag composition with yearning flute calls from tabala ilayaraja. Haunting prelude alaap from Janu! I love you 

baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 am

Kaviriye Kavikuyile from Adutha Vaarisu after a long time (thanks to Twitter). What a start to the song, the thundering percussions are my all time fav, love the chorus portions throughout, SPB & SJ have rendered it so stylishly and most of all Oh my love you are my sweetheart. The non-tamil vocals in the 2nd interlude, what language is it? Not hindi right?

The sound quality is very good but not as good as Priya which came earlier I think.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Another kAviriyE song - kAviriyE kAviriyE kAdhali pOl vilayAdiriyE (Archanai Pookkal) - a personal fav of mine. Can't write much about it at the moment (:bis-bis:). Among the bestest preludes (starts from 1:50 in this clip); employs counterpoint between the bass and keyboard. Probably the most beautiful bass-lines ever written for a Thamizh song. The sound in the clip is good but the oriental CD I have has superb recording quality. Bonus in this clip (again uploaded by punniyavAn RajsMed) - some lovely BGM in the scenes preceeding this song. Feast on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWPYcq3FEBA
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Jai,
What did you do to me? Why did you remind me about this song? I still could not come out of this song since yesterday. Be it the interludes or the tune, holy cow! Unimaginable by any means.
http://ragamanjari.blogspot.com/2012/04/virtuous-innovation.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Uploaded on youtube:

Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks a lot DM Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:19 am

V_S wrote:Jai,
What did you do to me? Why did you remind me about this song? I still could not come out of this song since yesterday. Be it the interludes or the tune, holy cow! Unimaginable by any means.
http://ragamanjari.blogspot.com/2012/04/virtuous-innovation.html
ever since nerd gave me the files, it is playing non stop in my car and my head.. wanted to pass on that virus to everyone.
will rank in the top 10 innovative tunes of TFM for sure. The melody of the song is so fine and tricky, it is so difficult to grasp.
Only SJ could have delivered this song in this world and no one else. and only raaja could have conceived . Sada's bass guitar and the
electric guitar conversation as you mentioned in twitter - is intricate, complicated and yet so beautiful!!

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:57 am

What a song, I say! Has anyone anywhere studied the chord progressions IR has explored here? If, so please share link. Else, I would like to figure this out. This (http://cartilage-records.bandcamp.com/track/vikram-vikram-1987) calls the arrangements "demented".  Hahaha.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next