Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 26 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  V_S Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks DM for uploading Yugandar song. Incredible! Cool 

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 26 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  fring151 Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:02 am

For a change, ventured into the Malayalam part of youtube and discovered this!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am

plumThis is a problem. If he gets stuck with Chitra, Janaki, maniacs spread propoganda that "While older MDs didn't let young talent prosper, Rahman ushered in an era of democracy and justice bringing in one new talent every day"

Anyway, as wizzy said, there are songs where the emotion perfectly accomodates Bhava. She is a dreadful concert singer, but even IR's poor recording techniques seem to mask her limitations well in these type of songs. I am haunted by nanu neetho
plum,

the operative word there is 'talent' - which is exactly what I do not see in Bhava, frankly speaking. To give a comparison, it is like acting by Arjun Rampal or John Abraham.. very wooden. But NO life at all. Very bland. And as much as I like the tune of "Nanu neetho", her voice is the put-off for me which makes me skip that song. The emotion that you see, accomodating her in that song, probably escapes me totally.

And as for maniac's propaganda.. chill dude.. I think everyone has crossed over this argument now, with everyone trying new singers anyway. Old (and pointless) topic, IMO. But seriously, I'd prefer IR introducing a Manjari, Rita, Ramya, Bela Shinde etc. anyday... instead of Bhava as 'new talent'. I see them as far more competent singers than her. I'm so glad that he is not giving her as many songs these days.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

Agreed broadly, though I would slot bhava in the jency category. En Vaanile is such a haunting song, what interludes..and then, those vocals! As in, nothing to do with the grand 'decline of Ilayaraja' theory. Which probably has more to do with 80s raja fans not accepting hariharan or Karthik or Shreya in place of spb, janaki, chithra, kj.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

The emotion I see in nanu neethO is one of an young innocent woman emotionally flooded over in the flush of true, pure puppy love. Bhava's juvenile voice and plain singing certainly adds to the innocence part. And the recorded version for this song atleast I cant see any shruti misses or technical mistakes. Sometimes, it is not about technical perfection anyway. Otherwise, Shankar Mahadevan would be better than SPB

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

plumThe emotion I see in nanu neethO is one of an young innocent woman emotionally flooded over in the flush of true, pure puppy love. Bhava's juvenile voice and plain singing certainly adds to the innocence part. And the recorded version for this song atleast I cant see any shruti misses or technical mistakes. Sometimes, it is not about technical perfection anyway. Otherwise, Shankar Mahadevan would be better than SPB
naah, my crib is not about technical perfection at all. It is about the tonal aspect itself. That voice doesn't cut at all (for me). It is a weird voice. Neither husky, nor honey-kind. not totally folksy also. and also, i dont mean to judge by slotting the voice. generally i feel the voice lacks beauty. Like Arun Mozhi's voice. I am not expecting a Shankar Mahadevan there, nor even a SPB. But if it is as wooden and beauty-less as Arun Mozhi's, what can I say!
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Not liking a voice is just an opinion. I certainly don't enjoy it when Bhava screws up the shruti or is not able to sustain the tempo or any other technical imperfection. But her voice is..just fine. And when she sings without technical mistakes - it could be that the song was recorded in multiple takes with cut and paste eliminating her technical mistakes, I admit - I am fine, perfectly fine. And when her voice adds to the character on screen - even more perfect. As in Gundello. I doubt if you saw the movie, as you are primarily a music buff and not bothered about matchint the on screen aesthetics, is my guess.

And looking at your description of Bhava's voice., I can't help smiling - because, remember what Raja called Bhava's voice?  Unique. And you have described exactly as that, albeit you don't like that voice. But doesn't that vindicate Raja's observation?

Yet, we had Maniacs pouncing on Raja's puthrapaasam being the reason for him praising Bhava's voice as unique. I forget what you had to say at that point but I am not sure you read about this before.
So, net-net, I am amazed how precise Raja is. and how misunderstood.

One more chapter of that has just happened before our eyes - people pouncing on Raja for an opinion and yet, we have Kamal Aakarsh, probably not even knowing Raja said that, echoing the same opinion.

That is Raja. Precise, brilliant and misunderstood precisely because his detractors aren't intellectually as capable as him.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Stuck with this IR version aka magic for now:

Anecdote: To a friend who is an IR fan too, I was mentioning how this song comes as Vadivelu sings this in Sangamam as my friend was watching Sangamam 2 yrs back and shared the song. He had this to say sharing this on his FB wall then: "You listen to Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black's songs and wonder what is wrong with the industry. Then you listen to stuff like this and sate yourself."
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Was talking with Plum and Rozavasanth on twitter about Yugandhar's music. Into Dasthe Dagega the whole day as a result. Uploaded song too:

What a delight! Raaja in his rAkshasan mode. The solo violin in the prelude, the tabla in the charanam, the chord progressions in the first interlude reminding me of Dilwaale Raat Hai Jawaan (this is also a female partying, crimson king, engu irundhAlum mEdaikku vandhu idhai kEtkavum Smile), the violin again in the second interlude, SPB and S Janaki's intoxicated rendition. Wow!

Thanks so much for the upload.  Great song, haven't heard it before.  Yes, similar to Dilwale in some places, rather, it's the other way round.  Can't believe this was 1979.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 pm

crimson king wrote:
Thanks so much for the upload.  Great song, haven't heard it before.  Yes, similar to Dilwale in some places, rather, it's the other way round.  Can't believe this was 1979.

Don remake starring a 56 y.o NTR in Don's role and Jayamalini dancing for Helen in Yeh Mera Dil's Telugu version, Naa Paruvam Laughing karumam. But this album stands very tall. Naa Paruvam > Yeh Mera Dil = Ninaithale Inikkum Sugame. This song >>> Iravum Pagalum > Jiska Mujhe Thaa Intazaar. My Name Is Billa = Naa PErE Yugandhar >>> Main Hoon Don. Vethalaya Pottendi > Khaike Paan Banaraswale > Orrabba. Sadness is Orraba is a note for note copy of Pan Banaraswale. andha pAttula appidi enna irukkO, director and producer pressure with NTR one thinks (also think this was IR's Telugu debut). IR did not do a Telugu film for 2 yrs after this. Blaggards. But for that black mark, Yugandhar kicks Kalayan Anandji's Don out of the park and stands tall compared to Billa as well which also beats Don comprehensively.

Last edited by Drunkenmunk on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

DM,

Thanks for  Da da da.....  first time . listening.......  IR's Style...  Something amazing...........  adhai SJ padara style........... She is always Great.......... SPB........ Ivaruku competitor  SJ dhan.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

IR version......  Naan Yerikarai  

paatoda youtube.. reply parunga.. ethanai peruku IR voice pidichu iruku nu........  

IR's Voice   -    Sogamana version.  UNmaiyana sogam  Ul manasil irukum podhu.......  enna oru feelings il irukumo.. adhai reflect panra madhirii  irukum ............  

one more Beautiful Number  - Pottu vaitha oru vatta nila......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:08 am

plum wrote:Not liking a voice is just an opinion. 

And looking at your description of Bhava's voice., I can't help smiling - because, remember what Raja called Bhava's voice?  Unique. And you have described exactly as that, albeit you don't like that voice. But doesn't that vindicate Raja's observation?

Yet, we had Maniacs pouncing on Raja's puthrapaasam being the reason for him praising Bhava's voice as unique. I forget what you had to say at that point but I am not sure you read about this before.

One more chapter of that has just happened before our eyes - people pouncing on Raja for an opinion and yet, we have Kamal Aakarsh, probably not even knowing Raja said that, echoing the same opinion.

That is Raja. Precise, brilliant and misunderstood precisely because his detractors aren't intellectually as capable as him.

I find it funny that you approximated my description of her voice (which is certainly not in a positive light) to Raaja owns observations using the lever word "Unique". Well, when Raaja says "unique voice", it does not sound one bit negative at all and the general feeling one gets from that statement that is that he said it in a positive light (not overtly positive tone; but generally). Of course I agree that it is a unique voice (but just in a different light). But just being unique is enough, for all those songs? Then even Arun Mozhi is unique. Or tomorrow even Himesh Reshamiya fans will say "like it or hate it, but his voice is unique" and they will stand vindicated. Or take any other not-so-good singer for that matter. Now please don't take this into "You compared Raaja with HR fans?????" line of argument. My point is: Raaja saying "unique" does not equate to my description of her voice (and yes, I agree that mine is just an opinion...). But i do not see my opinion matching with Raaja's opinion here.

I agree that Raaja is misunderstood and that his detractors are not intellectually as capable. But not sure if he is misunderstood HERE. And this "often misunderstood" thing is a different topic altogether, IMO. 

I know that Raaja doesn't treat Bhava as the greatest or best singer (it is certainly not to that degree). But there have been songs which would have sounded much much better, had he chosen any other singer. Not just Bhava, his choice of Yuvan as well. Looking at the way a song like "Mugilo Megamo" is mercilessly butchered by Yuvan (contrast that with really wonderful rendition by Raaja himself), one obviously would feel "Why is he wasting such a beautiful song on this guy, of all people?". (I have often had this question on my mind, when I listen to some Bhava songs) Even a layman will agree that Mugilo song requires a voice that is totally opposite of Yuvan's voice. He probably choose Yuvan for commercial considerations but he already did that for Chellam song; why compromise further!!! 

But anyway, I must add (again) - that I am glad that he is using her vocals more selectively/sparingly now.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:11 am

crimson king wrote:
Drunkenmunk wrote:Was talking with Plum and Rozavasanth on twitter about Yugandhar's music. Into Dasthe Dagega the whole day as a result. Uploaded song too:

What a delight! Raaja in his rAkshasan mode. The solo violin in the prelude, the tabla in the charanam, the chord progressions in the first interlude reminding me of Dilwaale Raat Hai Jawaan (this is also a female partying, crimson king, engu irundhAlum mEdaikku vandhu idhai kEtkavum Smile), the violin again in the second interlude, SPB and S Janaki's intoxicated rendition. Wow!

This is a kickass composition.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:13 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
crimson king wrote:

Don remake starring a 56 y.o NTR in Don's role (also think this was IR's Telugu debut). IR did not do a Telugu film for 2 yrs after this. 

No. His Telugu debut was a film named Bhadra kaali (1977 I think)
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:21 am

kamalaakarsh wrote:
plum wrote:Not liking a voice is just an opinion. 

I find it funny that you approximated my description of her voice (which is certainly not in a positive light) to Raaja owns observations using the lever word "Unique". Well, when Raaja says "unique voice", it does not sound one bit negative at all and the general feeling one gets from that statement that is that he said it in a positive light (not overtly positive tone; but generally). Of course I agree that it is a unique voice (but just in a different light). But just being unique is enough, for all those songs? Then even Arun Mozhi is unique. Or tomorrow even Himesh Reshamiya fans will say "like it or hate it, but his voice is unique" and they will stand vindicated. Or take any other not-so-good singer for that matter. Now please don't take this into "You compared Raaja with HR fans?????" line of argument. My point is: Raaja saying "unique" does not equate to my description of her voice (and yes, I agree that mine is just an opinion...). But i do not see my opinion matching with Raaja's opinion here.

I agree that Raaja is misunderstood and that his detractors are not intellectually as capable. But not sure if he is misunderstood HERE. And this "often misunderstood" thing is a different topic altogether, IMO. 

I know that Raaja doesn't treat Bhava as the greatest or best singer (it is certainly not to that degree). But there have been songs which would have sounded much much better, had he chosen any other singer. Not just Bhava, his choice of Yuvan as well. Looking at the way a song like "Mugilo Megamo" is mercilessly butchered by Yuvan (contrast that with really wonderful rendition by Raaja himself), one obviously would feel "Why is he wasting such a beautiful song on this guy, of all people?". (I have often had this question on my mind, when I listen to some Bhava songs) Even a layman will agree that Mugilo song requires a voice that is totally opposite of Yuvan's voice. He probably choose Yuvan for commercial considerations but he already did that for Chellam song; why compromise further!!! 

But anyway, I must add (again) - that I am glad that he is using her vocals more selectively/sparingly now.

There is no positive or negative associated with the word "unique". Raja knows that better than you and me. Unique is just something that is not like any of the known types - which is what exactly your description was, and therefore perfectly apt to be compared with Raja's description. The positive tone in Raja's voice when he said that is purely your imagination. Words are used precisely by Raja, and we cannot put our imagination on that.

I know you meant it negatively. So what? You described a few qualities that mark out the voice as unique - you didn't like it, I tolerate it, we dont know what Raja thinks but he surely doesn't worship that voice, that much we know. If we want to talk with precision, this is the exact way we can frame it. Everything else is just fluff.
You cannot introduce a new meaning for "unique". Unique's meaning is unique. It certainly doesn't mean "Special" or "Nice" or "Pleasant".

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:44 am

IIRC, he mentioned her alongside nat king cole and mehdi Hassan. In that case, the inference that he meant it in a positive light is not far off. It's nothing new, film industry promoting their kunju-gal is ages old. Shankar gave chances to Sharda to do kolaveri. That is deplorable but it also doesn't mean all his other achievements should be ignored. Likewise for Ilayaraja.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am

plum wrote:

There is no positive or negative associated with the word "unique". Raja knows that better than you and me. Unique is just something that is not like any of the known types - which is what exactly your description was, and therefore perfectly apt to be compared with Raja's description. The positive tone in Raja's voice when he said that is purely your imagination. Words are used precisely by Raja, and we cannot put our imagination on that.

I know you meant it negatively. So what? You described a few qualities that mark out the voice as unique - you didn't like it, I tolerate it, we dont know what Raja thinks but he surely doesn't worship that voice, that much we know. If we want to talk with precision, this is the exact way we can frame it. Everything else is just fluff.
You cannot introduce a new meaning for "unique". Unique's meaning is unique. It certainly doesn't mean "Special" or "Nice" or "Pleasant".
 I never contested that Raaja knows better than any of us. I have no clue why some fans take the discussion to a dead-end with this sort of "He knows better" argument. Of course he does. And I am not at all judging his talents (which I cannot even describe). I am merely expressing my opinion that certain creative decisions do not work in favour of the overall desired output (listener satisfaction). And it happens with every composer, in some aspect or other. I am not introducing any new meaning to that word there. I am only saying that when Raaja said the voice is 'unique', the reference itself has come in an answer to the question posed to him about his favourite voices (or the voices he admires? or voices he liked to use? or something to that effect). And as Crimsonking also highlighted, there is certainly a tinge of positivity in that. I'd like to know what other folks here think about such as statement in that context. If there is not even a little or iota of positivity in it, probably (only)I got it wrong then. But I disagree when you say my negative opinion on her voice = Raaja's opinion of "unique". 

Crimsonking, 

Just to clarify - I agree with you. All other achievements are not at all ignored (sounds too basic to explicitly state this...we are here on this forum because of all his achievements). Promoting IR's kin (in the singing domain) is what I do not like, that too when the overall composition suffers due to a bland rendition. and I am expressing that.

On a related note, I feel KR has a much better voice than Yuvan/Bhava and unfortunately, KR's voice has not been explored much. My view is that KR's voice is actually 'unique'.. meaning.. it might not be suitable for heros lipsyncing but for some slow (background) songs, it can be used to great effect. I liked his voice in a song called "Sehra baand ke nikle" in an album called "Meri Jaan Hindustan".
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:29 am

I won't blame IR for favouring Bhava, and lately Yuvan. I think budget has often been a BIG issue. Not denying Puthrapasam (but why is that so despicable anyway?), but the same Puthrapasam has not led IR to ever speak in glowing terms about U1's compositions. I haven't heard him praise Bhava that much either. Speaking of which, I am not aware of this "Bhava voice unique" statement or "Mehdi Haasan, Nat King Cole" comparison. Link undhi? U1's choice in Mugilo has IMO purely been dictated by commerce. I mean, is Megha even being shot? I think it is not even a low budget, but a no-budget movie. NEPV is more difficult to explain away, but I guess appealing to the youth brigade fans of U1? What to do, IR has been reduced to making so many compromises ever since he  has been relegated to number 6 position in TFM in the noughties- behind HJ, ARR, U1, Imman, GVP,  and now pushed further back to number 7 ever since Ani became numero uno.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 am

ok.. i think one post led to so much discussion :-). Lets lighten up a bit and justify the name of this thread. The song I am listening to right now is this: http://www.raaga.com/player5/?id=161150&mode=100&rand=0.35185670969076455

Ponmani Theril from Jaganmohini.

Outstanding arrangements (even in the synth driven space)...but gorgeous tune which goes on unexpected lines...when it goes nee vaazhgaa.. And the kind of synth percussions Raaja used here... jawdropping. It is as if we went with vengeance. The bass chords in the 2nd line of the pallavi reveal the energy. And then suddenly the Turkish Darbouka also comes up in the 2nd interlude with amazing guitar strumming. The singer is Bela Shinde (Raaga names her as YeYa Shinde). Well, many fans say that in recent years NEPV and Megha were the big guns from Raaja. I'd rate this song almost there, in terms of execution. It has some modern spunk (with all those synth arrangements) and yet the opening trumpets and all pack in some signature raaja elements. I'd say this is very experiemental.. because there are lot of things that pop-up in this song, that are not so often heard in Raaja. Like that piece of Darbouka & guitars together for example.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
crimson king wrote:

Don remake starring a 56 y.o NTR in Don's role and Jayamalini dancing for Helen in Yeh Mera Dil's Telugu version, Naa Paruvam Laughing karumam. But this album stands very tall. Naa Paruvam > Yeh Mera Dil = Ninaithale Inikkum Sugame. This song >>> Iravum Pagalum > Jiska Mujhe Thaa Intazaar. My Name Is Billa = Naa PErE Yugandhar >>> Main Hoon Don. Vethalaya Pottendi > Khaike Paan Banaraswale > Orrabba. Sadness is Orraba is a note for note copy of Pan Banaraswale. andha pAttula appidi enna irukkO, director and producer pressure with NTR one thinks (also think this was IR's Telugu debut). IR did not do a Telugu film for 2 yrs after this. Blaggards. But for that black mark, Yugandhar kicks Kalayan Anandji's Don out of the park and stands tall compared to Billa as well which also beats Don comprehensively.

DM,

While I hold MSV to be far superior to Kalyanji Anadji, but in this case I would definitely rate "Don' to be better than Billa. MSV's music does have a tired feel. It had it when it was released and it still has even now for me Sad 'Don' is definitely not a classic but neither is Billa. 'Yugandhar' is a different beast altogether. Not appreciated, in fact ridiculed, when released but now on way to being a cult classic.

CR,

This is the film I point to people when they talk about others doing jazz etc. 'Na Paruvam' is kickass jazz / rock rolled into one. What extraordinary energy level in that composition and Raja's group has played it brilliantly. Shows how far far ahead of his time Raja was. All the other MDs even today cannot use the western structures and compose an original song like how Raja did in 1979 !!!

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:58 pm

kamalaakarsh wrote:
plum wrote:

I never contested that Raaja knows better than any of us. I have no clue why some fans take the discussion to a dead-end with this sort of "He knows better" argument. Of course he does. And I am not at all judging his talents (which I cannot even describe). I am merely expressing my opinion that certain creative decisions do not work in favour of the overall desired output (listener satisfaction). And it happens with every composer, in some aspect or other. I am not introducing any new meaning to that word there. I am only saying that when Raaja said the voice is 'unique', the reference itself has come in an answer to the question posed to him about his favourite voices (or the voices he admires? or voices he liked to use? or something to that effect). And as Crimsonking also highlighted, there is certainly a tinge of positivity in that. I'd like to know what other folks here think about such as statement in that context. If there is not even a little or iota of positivity in it, probably (only)I got it wrong then. But I disagree when you say my negative opinion on her voice = Raaja's opinion of "unique". 

Crimsonking, 

Just to clarify - I agree with you. All other achievements are not at all ignored (sounds too basic to explicitly state this...we are here on this forum because of all his achievements). Promoting IR's kin (in the singing domain) is what I do not like, that too when the overall composition suffers due to a bland rendition. and I am expressing that.

On a related note, I feel KR has a much better voice than Yuvan/Bhava and unfortunately, KR's voice has not been explored much. My view is that KR's voice is actually 'unique'.. meaning.. it might not be suitable for heros lipsyncing but for some slow (background) songs, it can be used to great effect. I liked his voice in a song called "Sehra baand ke nikle" in an album called "Meri Jaan Hindustan".

See? You are misinterpreting again. Which is why I confidently stated that "Raja knows THAT better than you and me", THAT here qualifying "precise usage of words".

*FACT: Raja is very precise with his usage of words. He has this unique gift
*FACT: You are not comfortable with that. CAse in point: YOu didnt understand MY PRECISE usage of words and responded generally as if I said "Raja always knows anything better than you and me". yes, people use that line of argument for his musical choices. FYI, I disagree with that and I have my own cases where I believe Raja's judgement was not perfect (e.g.) Mano. So, if you are a person who can process words precisely, you wouldnt have made this mistake since you know my attitude to Raja's usage of mano

To me, this is precisely the problem. I say something - you interpret something else. Raja says something -you interpret something else.
Musically, you have much superior knowledge than me, I will never claim anything otherwise but in this matter, you have only proven what I have been saying all along
(And I will unequivocally say Raja uses his words very precisely. if one understood language as it is perfectly used, one would never make a misinterpretation. I dare say, whatever my other lack of gifts, I use words very precisely too)

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:03 pm

I am not introducing any new meaning to that word there. I am only saying that when Raaja said the voice is 'unique', the reference itself has come in an answer to the question posed to him about his favourite voices (or the voices he admires? or voices he liked to use? or something to that effec

See? That's where you made a presumption and are wrong. Raja wasnt asked about hi "favourite" voices or "voices he admires or likes to use". He was asked about "unique" voices and he answered that question sincerely. Yes, the other names in the list are big names. so what? He didnt claim Bhava is a great singer. He just said hers is an unique voice, which it is, as your description bears out. 

Yet, you guys keep persisting that Raja said that in a positive tone to boost up Bhava's status or that Raja genuinely belives Bhava is wonderful voice.

I am really sorry to be blunt - but as a keen student of precise usage of language, I will vote for Raja here and point out that you guys have interpreted wrongly.

In musical matters, yes, I will defer to your opinion as I dont have that amount of knowledge but this is my area, and disprove me if you can.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:05 pm

"But I disagree when you say my negative opinion on her voice = Raaja's opinion of "unique". 
"
You can disagree all you want but for keen students of precise use of language, it is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact that your very description is what marks the voice out as unique. Unique doesnt have positive or negative attributes associated with it

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Well, if we do suppose that he simply said unique voice without a positive connotation, it raises the question of why then would he give her so many songs; Let's not get into semiotic bush-beating. Either which way, it's pretty natural for people to feel surprised that he named bhava as a singer with an unique voice alongside legends who earned respect on their own without father's helping hand. Everything cannot be attributed to maniacs or vendetta or both. He can call her voice unique if he wishes to, but I don't have to agree or refrain from commenting. If she had been unquestionably accomplished, like even a ramya or Shreya, let alone ksc or sj, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next