Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  writeface Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 pm

https://soundcloud.com/raja4ever/hires-paadupaateduthu

Whattasong!

writeface

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  V_S Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:03 am

Wrote this in Rex blog, just can't forget this song.
மஞ்சப்பொடி தேய்க்கையிலே என் நெஞ்ச தொட்டு தேய்ச்ச புள்ள – செண்பகமே செண்பகமே
Really என் நெஞ்ச தொட்டு தேய்ச்ச பாடல். I wonder how Ramarajan got these kind of songs when no other actor got these kind of classics. Really happy that this song went to SPB rather than Mano. There are so many intricate bhaavams and sangathis in this song which only SPB can do justice. While I am taken back right from the first line in pallavi, when SPB sings ‘குத்தால சாரலுக்கு யோகமடி’ in charanam, tears just flow out without my knowledge.

The way he starts with ‘குத்தால’, he takes me to real kuththaalam (visuals also show kuththaalam). I love the word ‘சாரல்’. No other language has that word so sweet. Same way he ends beautifully with ‘யோகமடி’ giving a little briga there, so cute. The line following this has all the improvisation in ‘பாரமடி’ and ‘தீருமடி’. Want to hug Maestro and SPB for giving such a sweetness throughout.

Hearing charanam melody is like getting a new lease of life. What a flow and what sweetness! Every line is a beauty and can’t pick the best line. These lines again ஒன்னோட கையாக நானும் மாறி பொன்னோட பூவோட கூடி tells why Raja is God when it comes to melody construction. Hear how SPB sings ‘நானும் மாறி’. I love the last line ஏறும் மோகம் தானா தீரும், especially the word ‘தானா’. Hear how SPB stresses that word, He is the singing God, but he has to thank Maestro for giving such a soulful composition.
Every word and line in this song is pure gold. Hats off to Gangai Amaran. The nativity the song brings up has no comparison. I can’t stop listening to it. I have posted the lyrics for you to hear how each word gets its life with Maestro and SPB as the song plays.

மஞ்சப்பொடி தேய்க்கையில என் நெஞ்ச தொட்டு தேய்ச்ச புள்ள (2)
தண்ணி தொட்ட பாகம் எல்லாம் இந்த கண்ணன் தொடும் காலம் எப்போ
கண்ணனுக்கு நல்ல பதில் சொல்லு புள்ள
மஞ்சப்பொடி தேய்க்கையில என் நெஞ்ச தொட்டு தேய்ச்ச புள்ள

குத்தால சாரலுக்கு யோகமடி
குண்டுமல்லி பூவுக்கொரு நேரமடி
விட்டாக்கா ஏறுதடி பாரமடி
தொட்டு தொட்டு சேர்ந்த பின்பு தீருமடி
ஒன்னோட கையாக நானும் மாறி
பொன்னோட பூவோட கூடி
கண்ணாடி பாராத காயம் தேடி
கண்ணே நான் தெம்மாங்கு பாடி
ஒன்னாச்சேர வந்தா போதும்
ஏறும் மோகம் தானா தீரும்

மொட்டான மொட்டு ஒன்னு பூத்ததென்ன
பூவுக்குள்ள தேனு வந்து சேர்ந்ததென்ன
தேனாறு உன் உதடு வந்ததென்ன
தேன் எடுத்து நான் அருந்த நேரம் என்ன
ஒன்னோட பூமேனி ஓடும் தேரு
எப்போது ஊர்கோலம் கூறு
பன்னீரு பூவாக தூவும்போது
பஞ்சாங்கம் நாளென்ன கூறு
கையும் கையும் கூடும் நேரம்
காதல் ராகம் காத்தும் பாடும்

Holy cow! Still shamelessly waiting for one such song in this era. Any one there? All this for a simple and low budget film with absolutely no marketing. This is like sowing a seed in our garden and watch it grow from a small plant to a giant tree as we grow too. All for our satisfaction, no marketing or showing off. The tree is like our own kid and the amount of satisfaction we get when we watch it grow is unbridled. It is our tree, but it also gives shades for others.

Last edited by V_S on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 am

awesome song, been hearing in loop after reading your amazing description of the song..!

Is it me, or did someone request IR to do a "Kodiyile Malligapoo"-like song and this was the output?

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Nice write-up, as usual, on manjappodi V_Sji!
the clap

Of late, I've been listening to this song a lot more frequently (thanks to one of the CD's you gave me) Smile

Like I mentioned above - and in the SPB-IR series - the manjappodi thEykkal is practically unknown to me Embarassed As far as I know, it's 'manjakkezhangu urasi thEykkal' only Laughing

That way, to me, "வங்கத்துல வெளஞ்ச மஞ்சக்கெழங்கெடுத்து ஒரசி, யம்மா" connects a lot better (again by the same GA) Smile

However, like you mentioned, the song's lyrics so nicely jell with the melody and are thoroughly enjoyable - especially the saraNams are awesome!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks vicks and App ji. Song which brings so much affection with the smell of our land.

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:03 am

stumbled across this gem of a song - IR proves he is pretty much the king of all that is music (melody, synth, jazz .. sollitae polaam) in this song - Vennilavin Perai Maathava from Ramana. I am sad 😢this song never got included in the movie/I don't remember seeing it.. nor have I ever heard this in any radio show etc Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad

But everything aside, a beautiful song, rendered very well (I think Very Happy) by Hariharan and Sadhana Sargam

http://starmusiq.com/tamil_movie_songs_free_download.asp?MovieId=1053

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm

For whatever reason, I'm in this 'nakkeeran' mode for the last few days (aka nitpick mode) Laughing

So, one more song - frequently heard nowadays due to hiqh-Q CD by V_Sji - gets picked on...

Vikram Vikram - the terrific, ahead-of-the-times number by IR-KH-VM-Sujatha in 1986 (I guess the album came in 1985)...

Listen to the song here

Fantastic song, without question! The terrific "sounds", fantastic drum work (for e.g. that brief high-freq adi in the first interlude after the humming at 1:19-1.20 and again prior to Kamal's singing is phenomenal), SJ chorus smoothie, Kamal's voice-rudra-thANdavam, the vocal harmonies - all make this song an all-time-great one.

With that background and appreciation, let me take the liberty to point out a few 'not-so-great' thingies in the song :

1. That 'thavaLai' like sound after the 3rd & 4th Vikram's in the pallavi (where a tiger's roar would have been more appropriate). I hated it at the time of arrival and still do, very childish.

2. That 'rathaththAL thalai uRuLudhu' in the first saraNam is somewhat incorrect. (yudhdhaththAl / saththaththAl / raththaththAl - may be another case of VM's rhyme-only thingy, compromising on meaning - shouldn't it be 'raththathil thalai uruLudhu')

3. Kamal who sings first stanza in a terrific / terror mode, gets lazy in second stanza IMHO. Even pronunciation suffers - he sings 'theemai' as 'theevai' Laughing

4. But his laziest happens towards the end of second saraNam when he sings a couple of lines as if he were about to sleep - after a 'puli varukudhu', he drastically gets into slumber mode in 'manObalam' portion and then 'adhO pagai azhiyudhu' is almost like 'tranquilizer-fed'...

Once again, these are only nit-picks and not an effort to reduce the greatness of the number!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello Everyone, 

It's me Divine22, decided to go by my own name: Malar. How's every one doing ? 

I would like to start off with this song that has lingering my mind for some time now. As the flute starts playing , it oozes a vibe, feels like the heart and the eyes are beating at the same speed.
It slowly creeps in to the sweet portion of the prelude, SJ works her magical voice in, 'Kangalukkul Unnai Ezhuthu'. Every ince of the way, picturizing the feel of a woman being in love and she seemingly 
agonized and enjoying being in love with her man. Lovely prelude and interludes. I just can't stop listening to it, be it dusk or dawn. It just fills me up. 

Didn't know the picturization has Barathiraasa(ughh,,his deep voice). anyways, nothing special abt the picturization though,

(Mind voice alert: ,Huhu Malar, i know you're trying really hard to ''silaagithu'' writing like our Jambavans here, Alas, you have a long way to go')

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3563'&lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEulORR1vSA
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

curious stuff Malar. Never knew that the picturisation was .. so contrived.. still an enjoyable song..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:10 pm

நல்வரவு, மலர்!

nanRi for sharing a song not much known to me!

'thandhu vittEn ennai' was a Sridhar movie and it's quite interesting to see him using BR at that point of time (1991)...guess it was after his coming back to his "uyirththOzhan" for a couple of years..

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 12 Empty Rajavin rasigan

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Dear All

I am a newcomer to this site and have been reading many wonderful bits of information shared by many of you for the past couple of hours. I am really overjoyed to have stumbled upon this site. Please accept my humble wishes.

Regards
Balaji Prasad

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, Balaji Prasad!

Please feel free to post your comments in the forum as everyone's contribution is appreciated Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Fellow forumer Jega is maintaining a playlist of songs hosted in the famous 365 quiz run by longtime DF-er / HCIRF Rex :

http://www.saavn.com/s/#!/p/playlist/jegadheesamurugesan639/365raja/

Listened to the 'EdhO EdhO' of manam virumbuthE unnai after many years from this playlist!

What a lovely song!

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 am

Welcome Balaji Prasad. Please share your thoughts on Maestro's music. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I can't get enuff of this one !!! Groovy guitar, majestic trumpets,playful piano, 
KH, how young ,sweet & joyful you sound! repeattu!!! 

A late discovery fr me... now i can't let it go .... 

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2430'&lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGiS-ZX5ss
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Welcome Malar here. Nice to see some good set of posts from you. Have a pleasant stay here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 am

https://soundcloud.com/raja4ever/kungumammanjalukku

This is another fantastic song!

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 am

Aadal Paadalil Ulagame Mayangaadho - TMS/IR (Any one know the name of movie?)

What a roller coaster ride this song is touching upon different genres of music. TMS renders this with lot of energy and IR goes bonkers with a stunning array of instruments. The prelude with electric guitar, trumpets along with the male chorus and claps for rhythm give the song a totally electric start. The varying effects produced by the Male chorus throughout the song is amazing and it adds the needed suspense element to the song. Song is on repeat mode.

Watch the below video at your own risk, ordinary picturization that does little justice to the music.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:06 am

Hi Rajkumar , 

Aadalil Padalil is from the movie Vetrikku Oruvan.

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  skr Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 am

Recently been hooked on to this folkish number Oru Aalam Poovu from Punniyavathi.
I must confess that i heard this song only recently , but it is becoming pretty addicitive .. so much of soul embedded all over the song. 
IR's voice is so apt for such a song , Chithra also does a fine job .. the bit flute which comes in both the interludes the faster and slower version are just brilliant , also just love the charanam finish with the pace of the beats accentuating .. 

A gem from the 90's
https://soundcloud.com/raja-bhakthan/oru-aalam-poovu

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm

kAdellAm pichchippoovu, karaiyellAm sheNbagappoo

nanRi Drunkenmunk, for hosting this lovely number!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am

Currently hooked to these two Kannada numbers. One an amazing fusion of folk. Another, an outstanding melody.

https://soundcloud.com/raaga_suresh

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:06 am

"Adi kannatha" from Siva has now been on a once-a-day listen mode !

I cannot think of any other composer customizing a song to suit the image, personality and the energy of any actor, the way IR has done over, over and over again!

This song is a great example for the same - look no farther than this song to understand what made Rajini the star click so well in the late 1980s - IR infuses the "Rajini"sque energy into this track so casually, like a Mark Waugh lofted on-drive, making SPB render it exactly as IR wants him to, one would think Rajini himself is singing.

The place where the tune goes up "then madura thamizh sandham" immediately followed by "andha pandi muthhu pol en pulla" and the "thara ramp am" to come back to the main pallavi - what a roller-coaster ride for a typical situation in a Rajini film from the 1980s!!

if a Rajini fan has not listened to this song, he/ she does not deserve to be a Rajini fan - conditionaa soltaen!

PS: this is one song I like despite the "chaangu jakkaa" chorus!
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm

SKR, Aaalmpoovu has been ringing in the ears(with only tune) for past few days. In a sign of approaching alzheimers, mind radio failed to identify the lyrics but kept playing the tune and the background music. nalla vELai, sariyAna timela ezhudhunInga.
namma mind-lAm oru extra-terrerstrila wireless network-la connect Agi irukkO?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:20 am

irir123,

You have perfectly nailed the Raja-Rajni connection. The other superstar to benefit due to Raja's music was Chiranjeevi. In the initial days of his career and later, Raja gave some terrific music for him. That can be another complete thread !!

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next