Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

+2
V_S
app_engine
6 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Empty Re: Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

The 6th letter,

(oo / ஊ / ऊ )

Much like ഇ to ഈ, ഉ to the extended sound ഊ is characterized by an addition of the superscript hook Smile

Some words with ഊ :

ണ് = ஊண் = ऊण = oon (Meal / Rice)

ഞ്ഞാല്‍ = ஊஞ்ஞால் = ऊंजाल = oonjaal (Swing)

ര്‍ജ്ജം = ஊர்ஜ்ஜம் = ऊर्ज्जम = oorjjam (energy)

ട്ടി = ஊட்டி = ऊटटी =ootti (Ooty, Nilgiris)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Empty Re: Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 pm

I could locate only one vinyl at the musicalaya site for ഊ. Sharing that picture here:

The word is already listed among the above four (ഞ്ഞാല്‍, swing) Smile

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Oonjaa10

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 am

The 7th letter,

does not exist in Thamizh. The exact equivalent in Hindi is ऋ Smile In Thamizh, we can kind of express it as (ஹ்)ரு / (h)ru. Actually, some say it's Rh. (This gets more relevance when used with other consonants, such as the "thru" sound in mAthrubhoomi, മാതൃഭൂമി). In any case, this letter as a separate entity has very limited use in these languages and still categorized with vowels. (I don't know why!)

Some words using this letter:

തു = ருது / ரிது = ऋतु = (h)ruthu (or) (h)rithu = climate / mensuration

ഷി = ரிஷி = ऋषी = rishi = sage

ദ്ധി = ரித்தி = ऋदधि = ridhdhi = growth

ജു = ரிஜு = ऋजु = riju = straight

It's neither a clear "ru" nor a clear "ri" but in-between, with some h sound embedded Sad

That much is my understanding - HindiwAlAs please correct me Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 am

I couldn't find any vinyl's with at the musicalaya site, so posting (movie related) pictures from elsewhere :

തു (movie maker translates it as "seasons")

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Ritu_the_movie

Also, let me post the youtube of the IR-KJY classic song തുഭേദ കല്പന ('rithu bhEdha kalpana') Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43F0DeBeZw

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 am

There won't be any quiz tomorrow Smile

So, please feel free to do the exercises for these three (or any leftover from the prior 4 letters)!

Thus far, 7 alphabets - all vowels - are familiarized with :

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks App sir. I will read the additional assignments tonight. Thanks a lot for taking pains in teaching us. So kind of you. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

ok, time for the ഉ ഊ ഋ quiz Smile

1. ഉണ്ണികൃഷ്ണന്‍ (kEdharaththukku sEdhAram)

2. ഉള്ളടക്കം ( Mohanlal looked awesome with those specs )

3. ഋതുഭേദം (Malayalam movie, 1987)

4. ഊര്‍മിള (Wife of the twin of Sathrugan, ithihAsam)

5. ഊര്വശി (thiruppu)

6. ഉഗാണ്ട (African country)

7. ഋഷ്യശൃംഗന് (Malayalam movie, also one main character in the Bharathan-MT-Bombay Ravi classic)

8. ഉത്തരം (Mammootty movie is the answer)

9. ഉത്തരപ്രദേശ് (Northern state)

10. ഊമപ്പെണ്ണിനു ഉരിയാടാപ്പയ്യന്‍ (2002 Malayalam movie, Kavya Madhavan as "mARRuth thiRanALi")

Two days to solve this quiz Smile

The next lesson for എ, ഏ , ഐ (ye, yE, ai / எ ஏ ஐ / ए ऐ ) on Friday the 8th!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Just to warn the uninitiated :

Though we are yet to get formally introduced to the character , in the context of our lesson of the vowels ഉ ഊ, I need to stress the existence of such a consonant Embarassed

That one is "La" with no English / Hindi equivalent but has a Thamizh counterpart .

So, please don't get confused between & !

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

app_engine wrote:ok, time for the ഉ ഊ ഋ quiz Smile

1. ഉണ്ണികൃഷ്ണന്‍ (kEdharaththukku sEdhAram) - unnikrishnan

2. ഉള്ളടക്കം ( Mohanlal looked awesome with those specs ) - ulladakkam

3. ഋതുഭേദം (Malayalam movie, 1987) - ruthubedham

4. ഊര്‍മിള (Wife of the twin of Sathrugan, ithihAsam) - urmila

5. ഊര്വശി (thiruppu) - urvashi (ofcourse i took the help of 911)

6. ഉഗാണ്ട (African country) - uganda

7. ഋഷ്യശൃംഗന് (Malayalam movie, also one main character in the Bharathan-MT-Bombay Ravi classic) - rishi shringan

8. ഉത്തരം (Mammootty movie is the answer) - uttharam

9. ഉത്തരപ്രദേശ് (Northern state) -uttharapradhesham - where is 'r' in pradhesh?

10. ഊമപ്പെണ്ണിനു ഉരിയാടാപ്പയ്യന്‍ (2002 Malayalam movie, Kavya Madhavan as "mARRuth thiRanALi") oomachae__ uriyadaachayyan?? 1/4 mark pls...

Two days to solve this quiz Smile

The next lesson for എ, ഏ , ഐ (ye, yE, ai / எ ஏ ஐ / ए ऐ ) on Friday the 8th!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 pm

2040 wrote:
where is 'r' in pradhesh?

I'll wait to post answers after the "given time", let me just answer this kostin Smile Malayalam is like Hindi in this case (and unlike Thamizh).

Look at the "inverted-hook" on the left of 'p / pa' :

= pa = ப = प

പ് = p = ப் = प्

പ്ര = pra = ப்ர = प्र

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Answers for the ഉ ഊ ഋ quiz :

1. ണ്ണികൃഷ്ണന്‍ = உண்ணிக்ருஷ்ணன் = उणणिकृश्णन = uNNikrushNan (Unnikrishnan, singer, "ennavaLE" is in kEdaram & that comment was by critic Subbudu)

2. ള്ളടക്കം = உள்ளடக்கம் = उल्लडककम = uLLadakkam (Mohanlal movie that got state award, the word means "contents")

3. തുഭേദം = ரிதுபேதம் = ऋतुभेदम = ridhubhEdham (movie, meaning "change of seasons")

4. ര്‍മിള = ஊர்மிள = ऊर्मिल = oormiLa (Wife of Lakshman, bro of Ram)

5. ര്വശി = ஊர்வசி = ऊर्वशी = oorvashi (thiruppu from MMKR)

6. ഗാണ്ട = உகாண்ட = उगांड = ugAnda (Uganda in E.Africa)

7. ഷ്യശൃംഗന് = ரிஷ்யஷ்ருங்கன் = ऋषयश्रुंगन = rishyashrungan (name of a movie; also, the main male character in the classic "Vaishali" by Bharathan / MT / Bombay Ravi)

8. ത്തരം = உத்தரம் = उत्तरं = uththaram (Means "Answer", look at the clue)

9. ത്തരപ്രദേശ് = உத்தரப்ரதேஷ் = उत्तरप्रदेश = uththarapradhEsh (U.P.)

10. മപ്പെണ്ണിനു രിയാടാപ്പയ്യന്‍ = ஊமப்பெண்ணினு உரியாடாப்பய்யன் = ऊमप्पेंणणिनु उरियाडाप्पय्यन = oomappeNNinu uriyAdAppayyan (Movie)

Great performance, 2040!

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 2798411019

For #10, I think you got confused between 'pa' & 'cha' പ & ച Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

ya true...
for a few of them i had to check the letters with the words u hav entered in previous pages to know the letter... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:40 pm

ok, the lessons, exercises & quizzes done for the following:

1. അ

2. ആ

3. ഇ

4. ഈ

5. ഉ

6. ഊ

7. ഋ

Time now for #8, #9 & #10 - എ, ഏ, ഐ !

Some may recall that we earlier had a post about pa/cha/va/kha with the characters പ ച വ ഖ Smile

Now, this എ, ഏ, ഐ group start their construction from a പ shaped base character and add a variety of "hooks" to become what they are Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Lesson 4

Character # 8 :

(y)e / எ / I think there's no Hindi equivalent to this short (kuRil) character.

The closest one is ए with the long sound.

Some words with this character :

ന്റെ - என்றெ (என்டெ) - एंटे - enRe / ente (My)

വിടെ - எவிடெ - एविटे - evide (Where)

ന്തിനു - எந்தினு - एन्तिनु -enthinu (Why)

വെരെസ്റ്റ് - எவெரெஸ்ட் - एवेरेस्ट - everest (Mt. Everest)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 am

A couple of vinyl covers for the letter എ :

ന്റെ പൊന്നുമോള്‍ (ente poNNumOL, meaning "my darling daughter"...look at Baby Shalini in a Shankar-Ganesh MD'ed Malayalam movie...also, please notice the last character in the disk cover, that could look different from how it comes up in google transliterate)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Ente_p10

നിക്ക് വിശക്കുന്നു (enikku vishakkunnu, means "I am hungry")

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Enikku10

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 am

Letter # 9

(y)E / ஏ / ए

It can be seen that this has exact equivalents in Thamizh & Malayalam. Also, please note that there's just a minor "dent" in the hook of it's short / kuRil version.

Some words that start with this letter:

കജാതന്‍ - ஏகஜாதன் - एकजातन - EkajAthan (only begotten)

ഴ് - ஏழ் - एल -Ezh (Hindi & English are not exact equivalents in this word, the second character is special to Thamizh & Malayalam, the word means number 7)

പ്രില്‍ - ஏப்ரில் - एप्रिल - April (that month)

ലം - ஏலம் - एलम - Elam (spice cardamom)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 am

A couple of vinyl covers for ഏ :

പ്രില്‍ പതിനെട്ട് (April 18 / ஏப்ரில் 18, the debut movie of actress Shobhana, directed by Balachandra Menon)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 April_10

ദന്‍ തോട്ടം (Edhan thOttam / ஏதன் தோட்டம் that means eden garden)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Eden_t10

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 am

The 10th letter "ai" has a prefix to the 8th one, the same prefix that will be used in a number of combinational letters later on. For those who know Thamizh, it's very easy to identify this character on the left - oththa suzhikkombu. That way, if this symbol is added to எ, that becomes ஐ Smile

Some words starting with this character :

ക്യം - ஐக்யம் - ऐक्यम - aikyam (union)

ശ്വര്യം - ஐஷ்வர்யம் - ऐश्वर्यं - aishwaryam (opulence / wealth)

(ഐശ്വര്യ റായ് = Aish Laughing)

വർ - ஐவர் - ऐवर - aivar (five people / pANdavAs)

രാവതം - ஐராவதம் - ऐरावतम - airAvatham (elephant of Indran, purANam)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:59 am

There's no movie vinyl I could find at musicalaya website with ഐ Embarassed

So, posting this wikipedia picture of ശ്വര്യ റായ് (Aishwarya Rai) :

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 285px-Aishwarya_raavan

Please try to do the exercise for these three characters...will get a quiz on Monday Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 am

app_engine wrote:
2. ള്ളടക്കം = உள்ளடக்கம் = उल्लडककम = uLLadakkam (Mohanlal movie that got state award, the word means "contents")

App ji, There is no 'ik' letter in maLayalam? For ulladakkam, I see u-iL-La-da-ka-im letter but not 'ik'. Is it implied that way?

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 am

app_engine wrote:A couple of vinyl covers for the letter എ :

ന്റെ പൊന്നുമോള്‍ (ente poNNumOL, meaning "my darling daughter"...look at Baby Shalini in a Shankar-Ganesh MD'ed Malayalam movie...also, please notice the last character in the disk cover, that could look different from how it comes up in google transliterate)

Learn to READ Malayalam - using vinyl ("LP" record) covers and such movie-based resources - Page 3 Enteponnumol

App ji, couple of questions.

The way you write 'ente' and the way it was written in vinyl covers is different. I see that 'oththa suzhikkombu' is differently placed there. Please clarify.

Also for Aishwarya, why are we not using യാ for 'ya' rather a different letter? May be I am thinking too much from thamizh point of view, but would like to hear how the malayalam letters are interpreted differently than thamizh. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am

V_S wrote: There is no 'ik' letter in maLayalam? For ulladakkam, I see u-iL-La-da-ka-im letter but not 'ik'. Is it implied that way?

Malayalam is like Thamizh / Hindi in the case of consonants.

That way, 'ik' is nothing but 'ka' with a moonlike spot above.

ക് = ik = க்

ക = ka = க (க்+அ)

Now, for "kka", there is a koottezhuththu in Malayalam unlike Thamizh :

ക്ക = kka = க்க (க்+க்+அ) which is similar to the Hindi combo letter क्क Smile

For that matter, even in old legal documents like land title (you need to see some old பத்திரம்), they used to write Thamizh in that style, especially for this "kka" letter...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:52 am

V_S wrote:
The way you write 'ente' and the way it was written in vinyl covers is different. I see that 'oththa suzhikkombu' is differently placed there. Please clarify.

Google won't let me type in the way you see in the vinyl Smile Actually, unicode follows the modern, computer friendly style. The vinyl cover uses the "hand-written" kind old style. Both are correct - i.e., you can place the oththa suzhikkombu either in front of the combo, thus making it a koottezhuththu or just after the consonant as in Thamizh Smile

Also for Aishwarya, why are we not using യാ for 'ya' rather a different letter?

You're right - it's different from Thamizh again. For all such 'ya' following a consonant, that "hook" on the right is used in Malayalam.

Another example :

பார்ய = ഭാര്യ = bhArya - see the last character after ര (r), that's the one adding the 'ya' sound!

(BTW, bhArya means wife)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I failed to notice the letter difference between 'ka' and 'ikka', there is an additional suzhi for 'ikka'. Thanks a lot app ji for clarifying my doubts. thumbsup I have started practizing the letters in a separate notebook, for better memorization. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I guess a quiz is due today, for the എ ഏ ഐ...will post it later on Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next