Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

+2
V_S
app_engine
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes Empty LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:19 pm

We had a thread to familiarize with alphabets (including combo letters, using unicode modern Malayalam script) in the Indian films selection a couple of months back.

We extensively made use of music disk cover pictures for that purpose.

Here is the URL for that thread :
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t93-learn-to-read-malayalam-using-vinyl-lp-record-covers-and-such-movie-based-resources

While it is strongly recommended that one goes thru that thread prior to engaging in this new thread, I won't say that is an absolute pre-requisite to engage in this new thread.

Why?

One thing - you probably knew otherwise to read Malayalam but not fluent in reading and / or not familiar with many words. In that case, skip that thread and come on in!

Another - you may have your own quick-learn-method to familiarize with Malayalam alphabets and it won't be a barrier to enjoy some advanced stuff. In that case too, you're welcome here!

Third - you may be able to use some software package / website to "transliterate" the words I post in Malayalam to your fav language (e.g. English) and won't need a "course" simply to read. Well, that is your capability and you can join this "advanced" thread Smile

One thing is very clear - I AM NOT GOING TO TRANSLITERATE HERE!

i.e. Malayalam words will be in Malayalam only, Thamizh words in Thamizh & English words in English, as much as possible. If another forum-er helps you with transliteration, please enjoy but I'm not going to do that.

So, here begins the Phase 2...

Last edited by app_engine on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 am; edited 18 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes Empty Re: LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 am

Lesson 1 - Let us read words as words (and not as characters) Smile

When someone learns to read a language, typically it is adding char-by-char (எழுத்துக்கூட்டிப்படித்தல்) in the beginning. Slowly it becomes syllable-by-syllable. After some practice, words that get repeated won't be read in that manner anymore. (For e.g. even a long word like "Nevertheless" is instantly recognized by our brain as to what it is, no need to do the 'ne-ver-the-less' kind of syllable adding.)

Once someone crosses that level also, with continuous reading / practice, even words won't be individually read but the whole phrase - if not the whole sentence - is captured by our brain in a momentary glance!

The frequency of our engagement, necessities and opportunities to indulge in - are some of the factors besides the individual capabilities / brain function / IQ etc. Since most humans are capable of acquiring reasonable amount of reading skills, the individual capability factor may only decide the "time-taken-to-master" rather than "whether-can-or-cannot".

In other words, all can learn to READ MALAYALAM. It is not beyond the reach of ANYONE!

I am starting with a simple set of words, just 10 of them in this lesson Smile

These are strategically chosen, to also aid one in building day-to-day conversational skills. So, please practice reading these for ONE WEEK before we proceed to next lesson :

ഒരു - ஒரு - a, an - एक

എപ്പോഴും - எப்போதும் - always - हमेशा

പക്ഷേ - ஆனால் - but - लेकिन

സുഹൃത്ത് - தோழன் - friend - दोस्त

ഇവിടെ - இங்கே - here - यहाँ

അറിയുക - அறிக - know - पता

ഇല്ല - இல்லை - no - नहीं

മാത്രം - மட்டும் - only - सिर्फ

ജനത - மக்கள் - people - लोग

സ്‌നേഹം - அன்பு - love - प्यार

Now, the mantrA is "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE"!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes Empty Re: LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Lesson 2 - Let us spot those 10 words in sentences and then learn 10 more words

This lesson will set up the template for 8 more lessons, i.e. until we learn to "quick-spot" some 100 elementary words of Malayalam, which will be familiarized by the end of the first 10 lessons.

We learnt 10 words in lesson 1 Smile

Well, the objective was to practice ONLY 10 words for a whole week and I'm confident it wasn't a big task for the intelligent visitors to this thread, considering those are simple, elementary & primary words of the language!

By now, we should be able to spot them as "words" (and not as characters) as they occur in sentences. Let me first of all repeat those 10 words :

ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം

Now, let us look at some 10 sentences (randomly picked up from the web by me, using google search of these words) to help any reader of this thread do a "self-check" as to whether he/she can quickly spot these words, without looking as "CHAR by CHAR" :

1. അമ്മേ, എപ്പോഴും വഴക്ക് പറയല്ലേ (Mom, don't always scold me)

2. ഒരു ജോലി കിട്ടിയിട്ട് വേണം ലീവ് എടുക്കാന്! (I will have to first get one job to avail vacation)

3. "ദൈവം സ്നേഹം തന്നെ" എന്നാല്‍ എന്താണര്‍ത്ഥം? (What is the meaning of "God is love"?)

4. വിവിധ ഇനത്തിൽ പെട്ട ധാരാളം പ്ലാവുകൾ ഇവിടെ ഉണ്ട് (Lot of jackfruit trees are here that belong to various kinds)

5. കൊല്ലാം പക്ഷേ തോല്പ്പിക്കാ൯ ആവില്ല (Can kill but cannot win)

6. വിദ്യാലയങ്ങളില്‍ സ്വതന്ത്ര സോഫ്റ്റ്‌വെയര്‍ മാത്രം ഉപയോഗിക്കേണ്ടതെന്തുകൊണ്ടു് (Why should schools use open source software only)

7. രാജ്യമില്ലാത്ത ജനത : മ്യാന്‍മര്‍ നല്‍കുന്ന പാഠം (People without country : Lesson from Myanmar)

8. ക്ഷമയുള്ള ഒരു കേള്‍വിക്കാരന് മാത്രമേ നല്ല ഒരു സുഹൃത്ത് ആകാ൯ സാധിക്കുകയുള്ളൂ (Only a patient listener can become a good friend)

9. വേറെ പണി ഒന്നും ഇല്ല (No other work)

10. നിങ്ങളുടെ പല്ലുകളെ അറിയുക (know your teeth)

Now, let me introduce 10 more similar basic words along with their translations in English, Thamizh & Hindi - for "pattern-building-in-our-brains" for a week, a proficiency of which will help the "pattern-recognition" for a future exercise (and future capability to reading the language fluently, while also building vocabulary for everyday use) :

ഞാൻ - நான் - I - म

എന്റെ - என்னுடைய - my - मेरे

അവൻ - அவன் - he - वह

സന്തുഷ്ടി - மகிழ்ச்சி - happy - खुश

നല്ലത് - நல்லது - good - अच्छा

എങ്ങനെ - எப்படி - how - कैसे

അവൾ - அவள் - she - वह (Hindi is funny, same word for he / she  / it)

ഞങ്ങൾ - நாங்கள் - we - हम

നിങ്ങൾ - நீங்கள் - you - आप

അവിടെ - அங்கே - there - वहाँ

Happy practicing!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

App ji,
Thanks again for season 2 thumbsup, but methuva thaan varuvEn Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 pm

V_Sji Smile

This "weekly" thingy should be of some help Smile
(Busy lives and this is not a great priority item for most).

Well, time for lesson 3 - due today - and I guarantee it will bring something extra - in addition to 10 more common words Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Lesson 3 - Let us build some sentences using the 20 learnt so far and also adding another 10

It's pretty obvious we can't build sentences with just a 20 word vocabulary. However, we need to start somewhere Smile

To begin with, however, let's look at one major difference between English and most Indian languages (including Malayalam) in the TYPICAL STATEMENT sentence construction. (Those who know this already can please skip the next section and go to sentence formation exercise below).

Take the case of someone who is so thirsty, badly in need of water. In English, he'll say "I want water". That is, first the person acting, or "subject". Then the action / verb in the middle, or "predicate". Finally, the thing that is acted upon, or "object". Of course, there are variations such as "I drank" "Game was lost" etc where either subject or object is missing. (Please note, we talk about only "statement" sentences and not command sentences where action can come first, as in  "Give me water")! 

In passive sentences, the subject and object can swap places (That banana was eaten by the monkey) but the action is still in the middle. Safe to say, in English statements, the action word is typically in the middle between subject / object.

OTOH, in MOST cases of Indian languages, the action word comes in the END of statements. For e.g., that "I want water" gets translated as എനിക്ക് വെള്ളം വേണം / எனக்குத் தண்ணீர் வேண்டும் / मुझे पानी चाहिए. I've seen this to be a major challenge for American people when they learn and try to construct sentences in Indian languages. However, since most of us in this thread know at least one Indian language, this shouldn't be a big deal Smile However, it's something good to remember Smile

Now, let us try to construct 10 Malayalam sentences with those 20 words already learnt and see what additional words / variations are necessary!

First 10 we learnt are : ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം
Second 10 we learnt are : ഞാൻ, എന്റെ, അവൻ, സന്തുഷ്ടി, നല്ലത്, എങ്ങനെ, അവൾ, ഞങ്ങൾ, നിങ്ങൾ, അവിടെ

Now a few sentences using them, built by me (and you are welcome to build yours):

എന്റെ സന്തുഷ്ടി അവൾ മാത്രം ആകുന്നു (My happiness is her only)
Well, during this build, we got our 21st word as an addition to using four words already learnt Smile

21. ആകുന്നു = is/are = இருக்கிறான், இருக்கிறாள், இருக்கிறது = है

എന്റെ ശേഷം ഒരു സുഹൃത്ത്‌ ഇവിടെ വരുന്നു (After me a friend comes here)
We got two more common words in this construct Smile
Also, please note both my & me use same Malayalam word in two sentences.

22. ശേഷം = after = பிறகு =  के बाद

23. വരുന്നു / വരിക = come(s) = வருகிறான் / வருகிறாள் / வருகிறது = आना

അവർ സ്നേഹം കൊണ്ട ജനത  ഇല്ല (They are not people with love)
Like earlier, got two more common words Smile
Also, please note no & not can use same Malayalam word.

24. അവർ = they = அவர்கள் = वे

25. കൊണ്ട = with = கொண்ட / உள்ள = साथ

പക്ഷെ അവൻ ഈ വിഷയം എങ്ങനെ അറിയുക? (But how does he know this thing?)
Two more words Smile

26. = this = இந்த = इस

27. വിഷയം = thing = பொருள் / விஷயம் = बात

ഞങ്ങൾ എപ്പോഴും നല്ലത് ചെയ്യുന്നു (We always do good)
One new word here!

28. ചെയ്യുന്നു / ചെയ്യുക  = do = செய்கிறோம் / செய் = करना

ഞാൻ അവിടെ ഇപ്പോൾ പോകും, നിങ്ങൾ വരില്ലേ? (I will go there now, won't you come?)
We got two more new words and a minor variation of "come" we just learnt Wink

29. ഇപ്പോൾ = now = இப்போது = अब

30. പോകും / പോകുക = (will) go = போவேன் / போ = जाना

You may notice that we've constructed reasonably complex conversational sentences, that may find everyday use, with just 30 words (only)!

Please master these 30 and 70 more coming in the next 7 lessons!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:20 am

ക്ഷമിക്കണം!

ഇന്ന് പാഠം തയ്യാർ ആയില്ല Embarassed

ദയവായ് നാളെ വരിക!

(Sorry! மன்னியுங்கள்! क्षमा कीजिए!
The lesson isn't ready today Embarassed இன்று பாடம் தயார் ஆகவில்லை Embarassed आज पाठ तैयार नहीं है! Embarassed
Please come tomorrow! தயவு செய்து நாளை வாருங்கள்! कृपया कल आइए! )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 am

Lesson 4      Let us translate some everyday conversation using the 30 learnt and add 10 more words

When we learn a new language, for months or even years, we tend to "think first" in a known language (one that we use day after day all our life, prior to attempting this language learning) and then "translate" on the fly to the new one being learnt, before we speak.

That way, to speak in Malayalam, we may initially think what to say first in English (or Thamizh or Hindi) and then find appropriate Malayalam words on the fly!

This translation process occurs in our brains and gets faster and faster over a period of time, until we start straightaway "thinking" in the new language Smile

Let us carry out that translation process - to build some everyday usage sentences / speech, still sticking to the known vocabulary and adding only a word or two in each case, until we hit 10 new words Smile

Before doing that, quick recap of the 30 already learnt :

First 10 : ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം

Second 10: ഞാൻ, എന്റെ, അവൻ, സന്തുഷ്ടി, നല്ലത്, എങ്ങനെ, അവൾ, ഞങ്ങൾ, നിങ്ങൾ, അവിടെ

Third 10: ആകുന്നു, ശേഷം, വരിക, അവർ, കൊണ്ട, ഈ, വിഷയം, ചെയ്യുക, ഇപ്പോൾ, പോകുക

Let us start with a very simple sentence, "Thank you very much"!
Something we use day after day (rather, we must use on each occasion, to show gratitude and for better relationships Smile )

Note : Though we already know the Mal word word "you"  - നിങ്ങൾ, in this language, we don't have to use it every time we address sentences to someone. So, that gets stripped off Embarassed

So, it's essentially 3 words, thank, very, much. All three words are new to us (not part of the 30 above)!

31. thank (நன்றி, धन्यवाद्) - നന്ദി

32. very (மிகவும், बहुत) -  വളരെ

33. much (அதிகம், ज्यादा) -  അധികം

Unlike English, we move the "thank" (verb) to the end in Indian languages, as dealt with in the last lesson.

So, we translate "thank you very much"  = നിങ്ങൾക്ക് വളരെ അധികം നന്ദി (As mentioned before, നിങ്ങൾക്ക് is too formal and not required during day-to-day conversations. Also, in most cases, വളരെ നന്ദി will be enough as we don't need to double the quantity on each occasion, too formal Smile

Another very important word in everyday conversations (especially in English) is the word "Please". Let us take the sentence, "please come here" and translate next Smile

We've already seen "come" & "here" in Mal (വരിക, ഇവിടെ). So, we need to only add one word to form this polite sentence Smile

34. please (தயவு செய்து, कृपया) - ദയവായി

Now, these can be easily put together and made into a formal sentence : ദയവായി ഇവിടെ വരിക! (Please note the change of verb's place between English and Malayalam).

Moving on to "goodbye", most people in Kerala possibly use English itself Laughing However, for learning's sake, let us pick a sentence and translate :

Time to tell goodbye now! Out of this, we have only learnt "now" before  - ഇപ്പോൾ! So, opportunity to learn three more words Smile

35. Time (நேரம், वक्त) - സമയം

36. to tell (though two words, it's a form of verb, so have to be clubbed (சொல்லுவதற்கு, बताने) -  പറയാൻ (പറയുക without "to')

37. goodbye (விடை, अल्विदा) - വിട

So, the phrase "time to tell goodbye now" will get translated as "ഇപ്പോൾ വിട പറയാൻ സമയം"

Does it not sound fun to learn some words and immediately apply it in everyday sentences that can also be used in writing (not just speech) Smile

One may wonder, what about "how are you?" That's quite interesting - though we have learnt words for those three (നിങ്ങൾ, ആകുന്നു, എങ്ങനെ) , we cannot still build our sentence because one of the words we learnt isn't correct in this context Embarassed

is / are can be translated in a variety of ways in Indian languages. Our earlier translation of " ആകുന്നു " may not be appropriate here. Let us learn one more word, to ask this question :

38. are can also be translated as "ഉണ്ട്Smile The same word also means "have" in English Laughing

Accordingly, how are you? = നിങ്ങൾ എങ്ങനെ ഉണ്ട്?

Now, we have learnt standard "intro / greeting / thanking / getting rid of" expressions. Wait a minute - did we really learnt the "greeting" word?

What is the equivalent of hello (வணக்கம், नमस्ते )? That will be our 39th word, നമസ്കാരം!

Well, we've really learnt some BIG things in this lesson - some social conversation stuff! Let me then make that BIG word the 40th Smile

40. Big (பெரிய,  बड़ा ) - വലിയ That way, big thing = വലിയ വിഷയം

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 am

Please note that the words that I'm picking for the lessons are quite strategic and mastering all these is very important to read, understand and speak the language!

(Well, some researchers say - these are key words in ANY language ; So, it's very important that these are learnt, memorized and practiced for any progress)!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Short (busy) week it is going to be and I'll have to again move the next lesson from Tuesday to later...may be Friday Smile

I guess I'll make it a regular Friday update...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:17 am

Lesson 5  More conversational words (and phrases) to hit our 50!

As mentioned before, the core idea of the first part of this learning exercise is to get fully accustomed with 100 very basic words of the language and be able to both spot them instantly (wherever they are - either in writing or speech) and also use them at our will.

We've done 40 so far and let me repeat them here:

1-10 : ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം

11-20 : ഞാൻ, എന്റെ, അവൻ, സന്തുഷ്ടി, നല്ലത്, എങ്ങനെ, അവൾ, ഞങ്ങൾ, നിങ്ങൾ, അവിടെ

21-30 : ആകുന്നു, ശേഷം, വരിക, അവർ, കൊണ്ട, ഈ, വിഷയം, ചെയ്യുക, ഇപ്പോൾ, പോകുക

31-40 :  നന്ദി, വളരെ, അധികം, ദയവായി, സമയം, പറയുക, വിട, ഉണ്ട്, നമസ്കാരം, വലിയ

We'll continue to accumulate similar everyday words by constructions some more sentences and getting our 10 for the week now...

Just to add some fun quotient, let us also use many of the words from the above 40, make sentences and add those 10.
(BTW, I plan to post all the sentences we build / construct / translate on these posts together into a single post after we hit century and that will be a nice reading & revising exercise!)

എനിക്ക് നല്ല സമയം വീണ്ടും വരുന്നു (Good time comes again for me) - We have a couple of new words in this.  

41. ക്ക് which is part of എനിക്ക് / നമുക്ക് / അവൾക്കു is the preposition "for" (  "கு" விகுதி /  के लिए )

42. വീണ്ടും = again (மீண்டும் / फिर). We can also see the use of this word in "നന്ദി വീണ്ടും വരിക" (Thanks, come again!)

ഇവിടെ എല്ലാവരും നല്ലവർ ആണ് / ഇവിടെ എല്ലാവും നല്ലതാണ് - we get the "all" thingy from these sentences which mean "all (people / things) are good here". You may also notice that there's a variation of "ആകുന്നു - ആണ്" which means "are / is" Smile 

43. എല്ലാവരും / എല്ലാവും = all (எல்லோரும் / எல்லாமும், सभी )

രാം അവരുടെ പുതിയ സുഹൃത്തു ആണ് (Ram is their new friend) - We get two new words from this sentence...BTW, Ram is a proper name Wink

44. അവരുടെ = their (அவர்களின் , उनके)

45. പുതിയ  = new (புதிய, नया)

ഉവ്വ, ഞാൻ ഇടയ്ക്കിടെ അവിടെ വരാം! (Yes, I will come there often). Besides two new words, please also note the future tense for "come".

46. ഉവ്വ (അതെ)  = Yes (ஆம் / हाँ)

47. ഇടയ്ക്കിടെ   = often (அடிக்கடி / अक्सर )  

Can also see some variations of the same sentence, to pick up a couple more related words :

ഒരിക്കലുമില്ല, ഞാൻ അവിടെ വരില്ല! (Never, I won't come there!) ചിലപ്പോൾ അവിടെ വരാം (I will come there sometimes)

48. ഒരിക്കലുമില്ല = never (ஒரு போதுமில்லை / कभी नहीं)

49. ചിലപ്പോൾ = sometimes (சில சமயம் /  कभी कभी)

We've still scratched only the surface. In other words, only very "little" Smile

So, our 50th word  will be "little"!

50. കുറച്ച് / അല്‍പം - little (கொஞ்சம் / थोड़ा)

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Lesson 6 - Focus on conjunctions, build some sentences, learn 10 more words

In adding 10 more words to our kitty, the focus will be on certain words that help connect others in sentence formation. Actually, we've already seen some of them among the 50 we've learnt so far.

As usual, let us first recap all the 50 words and then separate out those conjuctions learnt so far before adding more.

01-10 : ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം

31-40 : നന്ദി, വളരെ, അധികം, ദയവായി, സമയം, പറയുക, വിട, ഉണ്ട്, നമസ്കാരം, വലിയ

41-50 : (എനി)ക്ക്, വീണ്ടും, എല്ലാവരും / എല്ലാവും, അവരുടെ, പുതിയ, ഉവ്വ (അതെ), ഇടയ്ക്കിടെ, ഒരിക്കലുമില്ല, ചിലപ്പോൾ, കുറച്ച് / അല്‍പം

Of these, examples of those that fall into the conjunction / connecting word category: പക്ഷേ, ക്ക്, ശേഷം, മാത്രം+ഇല്ല

Tip : Sometimes, അല്ല  is used in place of ഇല്ല but both essentially mean the same thing:)

Let us now get some more and see how they are used in sentences to feel at home with the context Smile

This time around, I'll introduce the word first and then get that into a sentence to understand how it helps connect words / phrases to build.

51. മറ്റും, കൂടെ, ഉം = and (மற்றும், உம் விகுதி / और)

It's pretty obvious how this connects two similar or dissimilar things to go together in phrases / sentences. Let us illustrate with a very simple sentence :

ഞാനും  അവനും നല്ല സുഹൃത്തുക്കളാണ് (Me and him are good friends), please note that we're familiar with other words in this sentence before. Except that I've used the plural form of സുഹൃത്തുക്കൾ, which is another little thing we learn here. Most of the time, we can add the -ക്കൾ suffix to make things plural. That's a bonus lesson and I'm not counting as another word.

52. എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ = because (ஏனென்றால் / क्योंकि). Here too, we get a bonus word because of the translation of because into Indian languages typically include the "why" as part of the word Smile(എന്തുകൊണ്ട് = why = ஏன் = क्यों).  

A simple sentence using this conjunction (don't worry, I'm not going to confuse like CNA - "No sentence begins with because because because is a conjunction" Laughing)

ഞാൻ അവിടെ വരില്ല, എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ എനിക്ക് അവരെ ഇഷ്ടമില്ല (I won't come there because I don't like them)

Now, I don't want to leave "like" as a bonus word but will include it in our collection as the next one. This is a oft-used word in Malayalam conversations.

53. ഇഷ്ടം = like (இஷ்டம் / விருப்பம் / பிடிக்கும் / पसंद) 

എനിക്ക് ചിത്ര ചേച്ചിയെ വളരെ ഇഷ്ടമാണ് = I like Chithra chEchi very much Smile

Now, I'm not going to add "ചേച്ചി" among our 1-100 words. Why? Because, for majority of people who come to this thread, that happens to be the 0'th word Embarassed

54. മുൻപേ / നേരത്തേ = before (முன்பே / से पहले )

ഇവിടെ വരും മുൻപേ എനിക്ക് ചേച്ചിയിനെ അറിയാമായിരുന്നു (I know "chEchi" before I came here)

55. അല്ലെങ്കിൽ - (either) or (அல்லது / या / या तो )

ഞാൻ ബസ്സ്‌ അല്ലെങ്കിൽ ട്രെയിനിൽ വരാം (I'll come by bus or train)

56. എങ്കിൽ - If (என்றால் / अगर) Often, the use comes with an additional word prefixed. i.e. The usage could be അങ്ങനെയാണെങ്കിൽ = if that / அப்படியென்றால்  / अगर तो / अगर - की . So, let us add that word too.

57. അത് / അങ്ങനെ  - that (அது / அப்படி / वह / की)

Have a sentence now : വിഷയം അങ്ങനെയാനെണെങ്കിൽ ഞാൻ വരില്ല! (If that is the case, I won't come). Like in English, we can also see frequent use of പിന്നെ (then) in these consturcts. That will be another addition to us Smile

58. പിന്നെ / അപ്പോൾ - then (அப்போது / பிறகு /  जब / फिर ) These are often used together also, effectively meaning "so then".

അപ്പോൾ പിന്നെ ഞാൻ എന്തിനാ അവിടെ?   = Then, why should I be there? Here, we can also see a short form for "why" - simply എന്ത്  and not എന്തുകൊണ്ട്Smile

59. അതുകൊണ്ട് = so / hence (ஆகையால் / इसलिए) is closely related to the above things. Actually, it's some kind of answer to "എന്തുകൊണ്ട്"!

അവർ വന്നില്ല. അതുകൊണ്ട് ഞാനും വന്നില്ല! (They didn't come. So me too didn't come)

Looks like we've learnt quite a lot in this lesson. So, let me add the word "many / lot" as the last one for this week.

60. ധാരാളം / പല / അനേകം - many (பல / நிறைய / अनेक)

Please note that കൊറേ also means the same Laughing
(In Thamizh, similar souding colloquial word means the opposite - less)!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:08 am

Lesson 7
Let us keep the momentum of learning, another 10 basic words

The key to learning any language skills is CONSISTENCY. In other words, once started, unless we have constancy in using the already-learnt things and acquiring new skills, we'll keep losing whatever had been gained so far.

Though the earlier six lessons may not appear so, they had been carefully designed to get one continuously exposed to some oft-repeated-in-conversation words - not just in Malayalam but any language of the world, as told by some top-class researchers. That way, whatever words we acquired so far are to be used frequently (so as to be memorized and identified just like that, both in speech and print) to be proficient in the language.

We'll be adding 10 more in the template-fashion today, that of getting to know them as used in sentences and finding their meanings.

At this point, I would also say that for now, we'll only get the words as such for the first 10 lessons until we hit the remarkable number of 100. Once done, we'll spend a couple of lessons looking purely at variations of these 100 as they occur in speech.

First let us get the first 60 as recap (please DON'T SKIP this, read and bring to mind the meaning):

01-10 : ഒരു, എപ്പോഴും, പക്ഷേ, സുഹൃത്ത്, ഇവിടെ, അറിയുക, ഇല്ല, മാത്രം, ജനത, സ്‌നേഹം

31-40 : നന്ദി, വളരെ, അധികം, ദയവായി, സമയം, പറയുക, വിട, ഉണ്ട്, നമസ്കാരം, വലിയ

41-50 : (എനി)ക്ക്, വീണ്ടും, എല്ലാവരും / എല്ലാവും, അവരുടെ, പുതിയ, ഉവ്വ (അതെ), ഇടയ്ക്കിടെ, ഒരിക്കലുമില്ല, ചിലപ്പോൾ, കുറച്ച് / അല്‍പം

51-60 : ഉം (മറ്റും / കൂടെ), എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ, ഇഷ്ടം,  മുൻപേ / നേരത്തേ, അല്ലെങ്കിൽ, എങ്കിൽ, അത് / അങ്ങനെ,   പിന്നെ / അപ്പോൾ , അതുകൊണ്ട്, ധാരാളം / പല / അനേകം

Now, let us get into the next 10:

The first two will be those that are used frequently in travel, FROM - TO Smile
(Those who travel in Indian Railways may probably know how important to know these two in Hindi and vernaculars)

മുബൈയിൽ നിന്ന് കൊച്ചി വരെ പോകുന്ന എക്സ്പ്രസ്സ് (Express that goes from Mumbai to Kochi)

61. -യിൽ നിന്ന് / മുതൽ / തുടങ്ങി : From (-யிலிருந்து , முதல், தொடங்கி / से)

62. വരെ , -യിലേക്ക് , -യോളം : To (வரை, -க்கு / तक )

Please note that the ones that start with '-' are suffices Smile

Having introduced to മുതൽ here, as a translation for FROM, we got to learn an equivalent Malayalam word and a different English meaning Embarassed

ഞാനാണ് ആദ്യം! (I am the first)

In a way, മുതൽ is an equivalent of ആദ്യം, when translated in English as FIRST!

63. ആദ്യം : First (முதலாம், पहला )

Once we got the first one, naturally, we should get the LAST too Smile
(First Name Last Name is a big thing here in USA, a big trouble for most TN people Laughing)

അവനാണ് അവസാനം (ഒടുവിൽ) ! (He is the last) So, we got one word and another equivalent for last...

64. അവസാനം (ഒടുവിൽ) : Last (கடைசி / आखिरी / अंतिम) Obviously, for some "Oduvil" Unnikrishnan may come to mind (@nom_d_plum uses him as twitter icon I think) Smile

A much related word in travel is "place" (From, To, First, Last - what? Place - right?)

So, let us get the word for that - ഇതാണ് അവസാന സ്ഥലം (This is the last place)

65. സ്ഥലം : Place (இடம் / जगह)

There are a number of basic words that we can connect to "place" and we'll get them in the rest of this lesson! Precisely, 5 of them! And let me first write a few sentences :

-ഇത് അതേ സ്ഥലം ആണ്  (സ്ഥലം ഇത് തന്നെ) (This is the same place)

-അവൾ ആ സ്ഥലത്തിനു അകത്തു, ഞാനോ ആ സ്ഥലത്തിനു പുറത്ത്, എന്നാലും, അവളുടെ ഉള്ളിൽ എനിക്ക് സ്ഥലം ഉണ്ട് (She is in that place but I am out of that place, but I have place inside her)

-ആ സ്ഥലത്തിൽ എന്നെ നീ കാണാം! (you can see me on that place)

Let us now get our 66-70 from the above sentences:

66. അതേ / ഇത് തന്നെ  : Same (அதே / वही )

67. അകത്തു / ഉള്ളിൽ / -ൽ : in (இல் விகுதி, உள்ளே/ में )

68. പുറത്ത് : out (வெளியே / बाहर )

69. -ത്തിൽ / മീതെ : on (இல் விகுதி, மேலே, மீதே /पर )

70.  കാണാം /കാണുക  : see ( காண்க, பார் / देख)

Please keep looking at these, practicing them and memorizing them!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Lesson 8
10 more essential words and their application in sentences

First of all, let's recap the 70 learnt thus far:

51-60 : ഉം (മറ്റും / കൂടെ), എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ, ഇഷ്ടം,  മുൻപേ / നേരത്തേ, അല്ലെങ്കിൽ, എങ്കിൽ, അത് / അങ്ങനെ,   പിന്നെ / അപ്പോൾ , അതുകൊണ്ട്, ധാരാളം / പല / അനേകം

61-70 : യിൽ നിന്ന് / മുതൽ / തുടങ്ങി , വരെ , -യിലേക്ക് , -യോളം , ആദ്യം, അവസാനം (ഒടുവിൽ) , സ്ഥലം, അതേ / ഇത് തന്നെ , അകത്തു / ഉള്ളിൽ / -ൽ, പുറത്ത്, ത്തിൽ / മീതെ , കാണാം /കാണുക 

By now, if someone had been going thru all the prior lessons (even casually, with minimum diligence), he/she should be able to spot many of these without struggle. (I mean no need to add letters to read many of them, also meaning is very clear).

With the same methodology, we'll be adding 10 more words essential for everyday speech and basics of the language with this lesson. Continuing on my prior lesson theme of "going to places", let me state a sentence and add the next word :

ഞങ്ങൾ ഏകദേശം അവിടെയാണ് (We are almost there)!

71. ഏകദേശം = almost (கிட்டத்தட்ட , ஏறத்தாழ / लगबग)

ചേച്ചിയും കൂടി എന്നോട് ഉണ്ട് (sister is also with me)

72. -യും / കൂടി / കൂടെ = also (உம் விகுதி, கூட / भी)... BTW, remember I didn't teach the "ചേച്ചി " word, you all knew it before Wink

നിങ്ങൾക്കും അവിടെ വരാൻ കഴിയും! (You can also come there)

73. കഴിയും = can ( முடியும் / कर सकते हैं) 

ആ സ്ഥലം കണ്ടു പിടിച്ചോ? (Did you find that place?)

We get two new words here - find & that!

74. = that (அந்த / वह)  Remember what we learnt for "this"?  ഈ Smile

BTW, the English word "that" can also be connective (so...that) and that one will use എങ്കിൽ, we already learnt!

75. കണ്ടുപിടി = find (கண்டு பிடி / खोज)

അവനും എന്നെപ്പോലെ ആണ് (He is also like me)

We see many variations in Malayalam for I and me. We've already seen "I" and need to capture "me" somewhere Smile

76. എന്നെ, എനിക്ക് = me (என்னை, எனக்கு / मुझे)

Likewise, I don't think we've catalogued our & your - which are basically variations of Malayalam words for we & you...Let me get a sentence to illustrate.

ഞങ്ങളുടെ ജനത നിങ്ങളുടെ കൂടെ ഉണ്ട്! (Our people are with you! Please note here another word for "with" which is could be translated as "also" too)

77. ഞങ്ങളുടെ = our (எங்கள் / हमारा) 

78. നിങ്ങളുടെ = your (also "you", as seen in that sentence / உங்கள் / आपके)

Since we have been discussing about places, let us also include the question word - where, which is a variation of here and there, as in English Smile

അവൻ എവിടെയാണ്? (Where is he?)

79.  എവിടെ = where (எங்கே / कहाँ)

Another question word related to going places is the obvious one - when? That'll be our last word for this lesson Smile

നീ എപ്പോൾ വരും? (When will you come?)

80. എപ്പോൾ = when (எப்போது / कब)

One major difference between Hindi and other languages (English / Thamizh / Malayalam) is w.r.t. such "question" words, that cannot be used for "non-questions" Laughing

For example, where can also be used in English as "That was the place where I lived for years". (Well, it will be അവിടെ / அங்கே but in other places like "do you know where I lived", it will be എവിടെ / எங்கே). In all such cases, Hindi uses an extra word that starts with "J" (जहाँ, जब, जो, जैसे) Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:26 am

Lesson 9
We're almost there, close to learning 50% of spoken language

With this lesson, we'll be completing 90 very common words of the language and have another week to go before we complete the 100! Per some researchers, these 100 words are commonly used in most languages so often in speech that they constitute roughly 50% of spoken language. (Obviously, with some minor variations to these words and each language may have some peculiarities related to these words).

So, please gird up and absorb 10 more today! However, before we do that, let us recap the 80 already accumulated in our kitty:

51-60 : ഉം (മറ്റും / കൂടെ), എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ, ഇഷ്ടം,  മുൻപേ / നേരത്തേ, അല്ലെങ്കിൽ, എങ്കിൽ, അത് / അങ്ങനെ,   പിന്നെ / അപ്പോൾ , അതുകൊണ്ട്, ധാരാളം / പല / അനേകം

61-70 : യിൽ നിന്ന് / മുതൽ / തുടങ്ങി , വരെ , -യിലേക്ക് , -യോളം , ആദ്യം, അവസാനം (ഒടുവിൽ) , സ്ഥലം, അതേ / ഇത് തന്നെ , അകത്തു / ഉള്ളിൽ / -ൽ, പുറത്ത്, ത്തിൽ / മീതെ , കാണാം /കാണുക

71-80 : ഏകദേശം, -യും / കൂടി / കൂടെ , കഴിയും, ആ , കണ്ടുപിടി , എന്നെ, എനിക്ക് , ഞങ്ങളുടെ, നിങ്ങളുടെ , എവിടെ , എപ്പോൾ

Now, moving on to the next ten Smile

We have seen where and when last week. How about WHAT? That will be featured in the first sentence of today :

ഞാൻ എന്ത് ഉണ്ടാക്കും? (What will I make?) Of course, we have our bonus word too in this question - "make" Smile

81. എന്ത് = What (என்ன / क्या)

82. ഉണ്ടാക്കുക = make / do ( உண்டாக்கு, செய் / बनाना)

നിങ്ങൾ  എന്ത് ഉണ്ടാക്കി? ഒന്നോ, പലതോ? (What did you make, one or many?)

We get two key words here - ONE & MANY Smile

83. ഒന്ന് = One (ஒன்று / एक)

84. പല / അനേകം = Many (பல / कई)

നിങ്ങൾ എന്തിനാ കൂടുതൽ ചെയ്തു? ഞാനല്ല, അവനാ ഏറ്റവും അധികം ചെയ്തത്! (Why you did more? Not me, he did the most!)

85. കൂടുതൽ /  അധികം = More (கூடுதல் / अधिक)

86. ഏറ്റവും (അധികം) = Most (மிகவும் / ஆக / अधिकांश)

See how words are flowing in, with just one small theme and a few sentences - but these are the ones that we use all the time in our day to day conversations (aka spoken language)!

കൂടുതൽ ഉള്ളത് കൊണ്ട് നമുക്ക് ഉപയോഗം (പ്രയോജനം)  ഇല്ല! (Having more is of no use to us)

87. ഉപയോഗം (പ്രയോജനം) = Use (பயன் / उपयोग)

88. നമുക്ക് / നമ്മെ = us ( நாம் / நமக்கு / நமது / हमें)

ഇതിനു ഉയരെ അല്ലെങ്ങിൽ താഴെ നല്ലതല്ല (Not good to be up or under this)

89. ഉയരെ = up (உயரத்தில்/ ऊपर)

90. താഴെ / കീഴെ  = under (கீழே / அடியில் / नीचे)

We're closer to our short term goal of 100 words now!

One happy news - once the 100 is done, there will be a QUIZ Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Not sure whether I'll be able to post the 10th lesson today...some unexpected things have come up Embarassed

If I don't find time, the next lesson posting will have to be moved to Monday Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:50 am

Lesson 10
Completion of 100 words!

This post will add 10 more basic words to complete our quest of learning some very basic words of the language, that make up 50% of everyday conversations.

As usual, let me list the 90 we've learnt so far and everyone is encouraged to diligently READ EACH without missing. This is part of the learning method and skipping will reduce one's ability to get a command on the language Smile

51-60 : ഉം (മറ്റും / കൂടെ), എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ, ഇഷ്ടം,  മുൻപേ / നേരത്തേ, അല്ലെങ്കിൽ, എങ്കിൽ, അത് / അങ്ങനെ,   പിന്നെ / അപ്പോൾ , അതുകൊണ്ട്, ധാരാളം / പല / അനേകം

61-70 : യിൽ നിന്ന് / മുതൽ / തുടങ്ങി , വരെ / -യിലേക്ക് / -യോളം , ആദ്യം, അവസാനം (ഒടുവിൽ) , സ്ഥലം, അതേ / ഇത് തന്നെ , അകത്തു / ഉള്ളിൽ / -ൽ, പുറത്ത്, ത്തിൽ / മീതെ ,
കാണാം /കാണുക

71-80 : ഏകദേശം, -യും / കൂടി / കൂടെ , കഴിയും, ആ , കണ്ടുപിടി , എന്നെ / എനിക്ക് , ഞങ്ങളുടെ, നിങ്ങളുടെ , എവിടെ , എപ്പോൾ

81-90 : എന്ത്, ഉണ്ടാക്കുക, ഒന്ന്, പല / അനേകം,  കൂടുതൽ /  അധികം , ഏറ്റവും (അധികം) , ഉപയോഗം (പ്രയോജനം) , നമുക്ക് / നമ്മെ , ഉയരെ, താഴെ / കീഴെ 

Now, here are the new ones - with sentences to get their context as well Smile

ഇവന് മറ്റ ചിന്ത ആണ് (He has 'other' thought)

We glean three words from this Smile

91. മറ്റ = other / மற்ற / और

92. ചിന്ത / വിചാരം = think / thinking / thought / நினைப்பு / विचार / लगता है

എനിക്ക് ചില വിഷയം അറിയണം - ആർ ? എന്ത്കൊണ്ട്? (I should know some things - who? why?)

93. ചില = some / சில / कुछ

94. ആർ = who / யார் / कौन

95. എന്ത്കൊണ്ട് = why / ஏன் / क्यों 

അത് തന്നെ ആണ് വിഷയം! (That is the thing!)

96. തന്നെ = the / தான் / यह (Here the meaning is almost 'only' Smile Please note that 'the' definite article is not always used in Indian languages, instead this & that are frequently used ; for e.g. "the mountain" will be simply 'mountain'. Otherwise, 'this mountain' / 'that mountain' in Malayalam)

എന്നാലും  ആ ജനതയുടെ സ്നേഹം എനിക്കിഷ്ടം (Still I like the love of that people)

97. എന്നാലും = still / இருந்தாலும் / फिर भी / अभी

98. -യുടെ / -ന്റെ  = of / உடைய / की

ഇത് എല്ലാ വിഷയങ്ങല്ക്കും തികഞ്ഞതാണ് (This is over all things)

99. തികഞ്ഞ / മുകളിൽ  / മീതെ = over / விட அதிகம் / மேலே  / पर

അനിക്ക് അവരോടുള്ള സ്നേഹം അത്തരം ആണ് (My love for them is such)

100. അത്തരം = such / அப்படிப்பட்டது / ऐसे

So, we complete getting acquainted with some very basic words of the language that constitute a sizeable % of speech.

Please memorize these, practice locating them in news sites (or books / papers)...and get ready for a quiz next week!

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00 am

apparE, gnAnam aruLum sammandharE  indha threadla malayalam words dabba dabbavA theriyudhu. PRevious thread had proper malayalam letters visible Surprised

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:41 pm

plum wrote:indha threadla malayalam words dabba dabbavA theriyudhu. PRevious thread had proper malayalam letters visible Surprised
Embarassed

Looks like some unicode characters do not display properly in all systems. (The Malayalam characters for n, l, L in their consonant form appear properly in iPhone, Windows 7 kind of machines but on Vista and some other OS, they show as boxes).

As I won't be able to fix each of them (V_Sji can possibly help the technical part), as an exception, let me transliterate some of those words in the next post Embarassed

For example, ആർ = Ar The character for "r" appears ok in some systems and dabbA in other systems.

It may appear correct if I use a generic form of the letter, with the "half-moon" symbol, as ആര്‍ Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:05 pm

enakku correct aa theriyudhungaLE. padikka therila. adhu vEra vishayam Smile aanaa Malayalam theriyudhu.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:enakku correct aa theriyudhungaLE. padikka therila. adhu vEra vishayam Smile aanaa Malayalam theriyudhu.
Your system may be running a compatible OS that displays these "older style" Malayalam characters in Unicode.

I see that the problem is not with our forum, it's even on TWITTER.

Please look at the screenshot of my home page on a Vista machine :
LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes Twit_h10

There too the Malayalam character for "L" appears as a rectangle Embarassed

It stresses me the fact that I should use a generic font, one with "half-moon" mark hereafter!
(AL = ആള്, which is awful to read but will display properly)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Until I post the details on which words could have "dabbA" characters, please download the PDF (that shows all these 10 lessons properly) for ready reference :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mxq5na0hdg0xn1y/Learn-Malayalam_beyond_basic_reading+-+Vol+1+First+100+words.pdf

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks to plum alerting, I can clean up some of the difficulty for certain section of readers of this thread:

These are the words I suspect having "box" characters on Vista and such systems
(mainly the other form of ന് , ല് , ള് i.e. ൻ, ൽ,‍ ൾ)

Please look at the "alternate forms" of such words AND their transliterations Embarassed

അവൻ = അവന് = avan (he)

ഞാൻ =  ഞാന് = njAn (I)

അവൾ = അവള് = avaL (she)

ഞങ്ങൾ = ഞങ്ങള് = njangaL (we)

നിങ്ങൾ = നിങ്ങള് = ningaL (you, plural)

ഇപ്പോൾ = ഇപ്പോള് = ippOL (now)

അവർ = അവര് = avar (they)

അല്‍പം = അല്പം = alpam (few)

ചിലപ്പോൾ = ചിലപ്പോള് = chilappOL (sometimes)

എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാൽ = എന്തുകൊണ്ടെന്നാല് = enthukoNdennAl (because)

മുൻപേ = മുന്പേ = munpE (before)

അല്ലെങ്കിൽ = അല്ലെങ്കില് = allengil (or)

എങ്കിൽ = എങ്കില് = engil (if)

അപ്പോൾ = അപ്പോള് = appOL (then)

-യിൽ നിന്ന് / മുതൽ = -യില് നിന്ന് / മുതല് = -yil ninnu / mudhal (from)

ഉള്ളിൽ / -ൽ =  ഉള്ളില് / -ല് = uLLil / -il (in)

ഒടുവിൽ = ഒടുവില് = oduvil (last)

-ത്തിൽ =  -ത്തില് = -ththil (on)

എപ്പോൾ = എപ്പോള് = eppOL (when)

കൂടുതൽ = കൂടുതല് = kooduthal (more)

മുകളിൽ = മുകളില് = mukaLil (over)

ആർ = ആര് = Ar (who)

I'm surprised at seeing many basic words of the language use the special characters Embarassed

No wonder plum was seeing a lot of boxes, hopefully the mess is now cleared Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 pm

OK, time for a quiz - before we continue with our lessons Smile

Let me make this into 4 parts, 3 questions for each part Wink

Part 1 - Identify our 100 words in sentences (these are picked from random websites, could be part of bigger words) and give the meaning :

1. അവന്‍ നേരേ യമപുരിയിലേക്കു പോയി.

2. അതിനാല്‍ നല്ല കഥകള്‍ വായിക്കുവാന്‍ നാം സമയം കണ്ടെത്തുക!

3. ഇവിടെയിതാ നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കായി ഏതാനും ചെറു കഥകള്‍.

Part 2 - Translate the following sentences into English (These are made mainly using our 100 words, other than proper nouns and minor verb variations)

1. അവര്  ഇപ്പോള് നല്ല ജനത ആണ്

2. ഉഷയെ ഇടയ്ക്കിട കാണാന്  കഴിയും

3. എങ്കില്‍ , എനിക്ക് ഒരു വിഷയം അറിയണം

Part 3 - Translate the following from English into Malayalam (These can be managed in entirety using our 100 ONLY IMO)

1. I love you

2. You are my friend

3. Because I came before, I come to know the good thing!

Part 4 - Just transliterate the following into English:

1. രാധ എവിടെ എന്ന് കണ്ടുപിടി

2. അത് ഞാന്  നേരത്തെ കണ്ടതാണ്

3. ഇവിടെ എല്ലാവരും നല്ലവര് തന്നെ

Everyone gets a week's time and we'll review the answers after that Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 am

I am doubtful on many words and sentence meaning as I somewhat lost touch. Please correct me Smile

അവന്നേരേ യമപുരിയിലേക്കു പോയി. - avan nErE yamapuriyilEkku pOyi - He directly went to yamapuri - he died?
അതിനാല്നല്ല കഥകള്വായിക്കുവാന്നാം സമയം കണ്ടെത്തുക! - athinaalu nalla kathakaL vaayikkuvaan naam samayam kantetukka - therefore find time to read good stories?
ഇവിടെയിതാ നിങ്ങള്ക്കായി ഏതാനും ചെറു കഥകള്‍. - ivideyithaa ningaLkkaayi yEthaanum cheru kathakaL - some small stories are here for you? (doubtful)

അവര്  ഇപ്പോള് നല്ല ജനത ആണ് - avaru ippOL nalla janatha aan - He is a good citizen now?
ഉഷയെ ഇടയ്ക്കിട കാണാന്  കഴിയും - ushaye itaykkitta kaanaan kazhiyum - Morning we can see repeatedly? (very doubtful)
എങ്കില്‍ , എനിക്ക് ഒരു വിഷയം അറിയണം - enkil enikku our vishayam ariyaNam - If so, I want to know one thing 

I Love You - ഞാൻ നിന്നേ സ്നേഹിക്കുന്നു - njaan ninnE snEhikkunnu 
You are my friend - എന്റെ സ്നേഹിതയാനു നീ - entE snEhithayaanu nee
Because I came before, I come to know the good thing!   - അതുകൊണ്ട് ഞാൻ മുമ്പ് വന്നു, ഞാൻ സുഭ കാര്യം വരുന്നു അറിയുന്നു - atukaent njaan mump vannu, njaan subha kaaryam varunnu ariyunnu (very doubtful about this sentence)

രാധ എവിടെ എന്ന് കണ്ടുപിടി - raadha evide ennu kandupidi
അത് ഞാന്  നേരത്തെ കണ്ടതാണ് - athu njaanu neratte kantathaanu
ഇവിടെ എല്ലാവരും നല്ലവര് തന്നെ - ivide ellaavarum nallavan thanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next