Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

+2
V_S
app_engine
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes - Page 2 Empty Re: LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Post  app_engine Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Great job V_Sji!

You're in form Smile

Let me allow a few more days (if some others want to post their answers) before highlighting the very minor misses...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes - Page 2 Empty Re: LEARN MALAYALAM - Beyond basic reading - Lesson 11 - Some essential lists Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Post  app_engine Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Solutions to Quiz #1 of this thread :

Part 1 - Identify our 100 words in sentences (I've marked them RED):

1. അവന്‍ നേരേ യമപുരിയിലേക്കു പോയി.

2. അതിനാല്‍ നല്ല കഥകള്‍ വായിക്കുവാന്‍ നാം സമയം കണ്ടെത്തുക!

3. ഇവിടെയിതാ നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കായി ഏതാനും ചെറു കഥകള്‍.

Part 2 - Translate the following sentences into English

1. അവര്  ഇപ്പോള് നല്ല ജനത ആണ്  They are good people now

2. ഉഷയെ ഇടയ്ക്കിട കാണാന്  കഴിയും Usha can be seen often

3. എങ്കില്‍ , എനിക്ക് ഒരു വിഷയം അറിയണം If (so), I (should) know one thing

Part 3 - Translate the following from English into Malayalam (These can be managed in entirety using our 100 ONLY IMO)

1. I love you ഞാന് നിന്നെ സ്നേഹിക്കുന്നു

2. You are my friend നീ എന്റെ സുഹൃത്ത് ആണ്

3. Because I came before, I come to know the good thing! ഞാന് നേരത്തെ വന്നത് കൊണ്ട് ഈ നല്ല വിഷയം അറിഞ്ഞു

Part 4 - Just transliterate the following into English:

1. രാധ എവിടെ എന്ന് കണ്ടുപിടി  rAdha evite ennu kantupiti (Find out where Radha is)

2. അത് ഞാന്  നേരത്തെ കണ്ടതാണ് athu njaan nEraththe kaNtathaaNu (I saw that before)

3. ഇവിടെ എല്ലാവരും നല്ലവര് തന്നെ ivite ellAvarum nallavar thanne (All are good here)

V_Sji had done more than asked for (for the first 3 questions) Smile

Of course, there had been some minor misses but overall it was a splendid batting Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks App ji for the answers. I will read it again and see where I should correct myself. Also, I was not sure of the first question, what was asked. Instead of finding the words you already covered, I wrote the transliteration & meaning Smile

Can you please confirm the meaning for the first three?

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm

V_S wrote:Can you please confirm the meaning for the first three?
1. അവന്‍ നേരേ യമപുരിയിലേക്കു പോയി.
He went straight to "yamapuri" (died)

2. അതിനാല്‍ നല്ല കഥകള്‍ വായിക്കുവാന്‍ നാം സമയം കണ്ടെത്തുക!
Because of that, we should find time to read good stories!

3. ഇവിടെയിതാ നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കായി ഏതാനും ചെറു കഥകള്‍.
Here they are - some short stories for you.

Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Lesson 11 - Some essential lists

This lesson could be a little boring - but essential nevertheless. Let me try to make it as simple as possible and not-so-tiresome.

For easy absorption's sake, I'll do it in parts.

Part 1 : Numbers

Those who know the colloquial pronunication of numbers in Thamizh, can take it for granted that they had already acquired 99% of the official Malayalam numbers (i.e. both spoken & written forms). With just one pass of my list and making sure of some minor differences here and there, they can move on to the next list Smile

One interesting thing about Thamizh - this is perhaps the only language in which if someone speaks in the same way as the written language, people will classify that person as having some problem in the head Laughing

Malayalam has no such problem - if you speak exactly as it is written, it is totally acceptable and people may even like you / admire you Smile

With that, my lecture is over and here are the numbers :
(Please note that almost all are 'kutriyalugaram' kinds, so add "u" in the end even if not written with that)

1ഒന്ന് 11പതിനൊന്ന് 
2രണ്ട് 12പന്ത്രണ്ട് 
3മൂന്ന് 13പതിമൂന്ന് 
4നാല് 14പതിനാല് 
5അഞ്ച് 15പതിനഞ്ച് 
6ആറ് 16പതിനാറ് 
7ഏഴ്‌ 17പതിനേഴ്‌ 
8എട്ട് 18പതിനെട്ട് 
9ഒന്പത് 19പത്തൊന്പത് 
10പത്ത് 20ഇരുപത്  
30മുപ്പത് 1000ആയിരം
40നാല്പ്പത് 100000ലക്ഷം
50അന്പത് 10000000കോടി 
60അറുപത് 
70എഴുപത് 
80എന്പത് 
90തൊണ്ണൂറ് 
100നൂറ് 

As in the case of English & Thamizh (and unlike Hindi), one need not learn all the numbers for twenties / thirties and such all the way upto hundred Smile

It is exactly same like Thamizh (e.g. 21 = twenty one =  ഇരുപത്ത് ഒന്ന്).

Please note that Malayalees are not fond of vallinam and so 40 is നാല്പ്പത് with a "l" sound unlike Thamizh (நாற்பது, with an R sound) Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks App ji for the translation. Good to know that I am almost there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 am

Part 2 - Time measures

Starting from the smallest unit - instant - let me list the variety of ways we measure time. We'll also include the days of the week and such things in this part Smile

Time = സമയം (ഇപ്പോള് സമയം എന്താണ്? = What is the time now?)

We can also use കാലം, as in നല്ല കാലം (good time).

Now, let us see the measures :

instant - ക്ഷണം

second - I am not aware of any specific word, as in Thamizh நொடி / வினாடி because everyone uses സെക്കണ്ട് (10 seconds = 10 സെക്കണ്ട് Laughing)

minute - നിമിഷം, but the popular usage is മിനിട്ട് which is transliteration of English

hour - മണിക്കൂര്‍

o'clock - മണി (e.g. 7 o'clock is 7 മണി , 7 hours is 7 മണിക്കൂര്‍)

day - ദിവസം / ദിനം

date - തീയതി / ദിനം

week - ആഴ്ച (The Sanskrit word വാരം can also be used but not popular)

month - മാസം

year - കൊല്ലം (Here too the Sanskrit word വര്ഷം can be used. Actually the typical use for "annual" is വാര്ഷികം)

Days of the week is important to know while I never cared to learn the Malayalam months Embarassed Please search internet if one wants to really know Mal months Smile

Following are the seven days, starting with Sunday :

ഞായര്, തിങ്കള് , ചൊവ്വ, ബുധന് , വ്യാഴം, വെള്ളി, ശനി

Please note, however, that the typical usage is with adding "ആഴ്ച" to the above word. For example, Monday is തിങ്കളാഴ്ച Smile

The names of the seasons are as below:

spring - വസന്ത കാലം

summer - ഗ്രീഷ്മം is preferred but the Thamizh വേനല്കാലം is well in use as well!

autumn / fall = ശരത്‌കാലം

winter - ശീതകാലം (ഹേമന്തം & ശിശിരകാലം are other words used)

However, the most important season that one should be aware of is "monsoon" Laughing

monsoon = കാലവര്‍ഷം (This is funny because of interchanging വര്ഷ i.e. rain & കാലം. BTW, there is nothing wrong in using  വര്ഷ കാലം. Also, മഴക്കാലം is apt for "rainy season" as the Thamizh word മഴ is widely used for rain. Rainbow is called മഴവില്)

Other details that we should know about time are parts of the day...

day (time) = പകല്  & night = രാത്രി

morning = പുലരി, പ്രപാദം, ഉഷസ്സ് , രാവ് Smile

Thamizh speaking people, please note : രാവില് means "in the morning" and not at night! Also, for "early morning" often people use അതിരാവില് Smile 

Also, we often hear people using "കാലത്ത്" as in Thamizh, for "in the morning".

evening =  വൈകുന്നേരം (literally it means "late time". People also use സന്ധ്യ, സായാഹ്നം, സായംകാലം to denote "sun setting time")

noon = ഉച്ച (That way, noon meal becomes ഉച്ച ഭക്ഷണം)

Some other words related to time are also catalogued here below as miscellaneous stuff :

age = വയസ്സ്‌ (as in 19 years of age). Also, യുഗം (as in ice age) or പ്രായം (as in young age, old age etc)

time period = കാലഘട്ടം  (Here too യുഗം gets used frequently)

ancient = പുരാതന

old = പഴയ, പ്രായമുള്ള

new = പുതിയ, നൂതന

modern = ആധുനിക

beginning = ആരംഭം / തുടക്കം 

end = അവസാനം

first = ആദ്യം

last =  ഒടുവില് / അവസാനം

I think the above list is enough to go through and memorize (for a while)... Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Part 3 - Travel related

Continuing with our list-making exercises, let us focus on everything related to travel (which is closely linked with learning Malayalam i.e. one of the purposes being visit / tour to the beautiful Kerala).

Travel / trip  = യാത്ര

One will hear announcements at train and bus stations as "യാത്രക്കാർ ശ്രദ്ധയ്ക്ക്", which means "for the attention of travellers" Smile

Well, this phrase has also taught us the Malayalam word for "attention" =  ശ്രദ്ധ  - possibly Sanskrit root and accordingly a similar word exists in Hindi (श्रद्दा). Interestingly, there's also a similar word used during olden days in Thamizh, சிரத்தை.

I haven't seen any Malayalam word being used for "bus" as in the case of TN-ers who sometimes prefer  பேருந்து Laughing

OTOH, for train, there is a Malayalam word : തീവണ്ടി (that literally means fire-cart Laughing )

That also gives the generic Malayalam word for "vehicle" or "cart" = വണ്ടി, which is the same in Thamizh (வண்டி) Smile

There are multiple verbs associated with travel and let's get them together (we've already seen go & come in our first 100 - പോ / വാ)  :

walk  - നടക്കുക (footwear = പാദരക്ഷ)

run    - ഓടുക (leg = കാല്‍, same as Thamizh)

sail    - ചലിക്കുക (boat = വള്ളം, ship = കപ്പല്‍, sea = ആഴി / കടല്‍, ocean = സമുദ്രം, river = പുഴ, lake = കായല്‍ ) 

fly     - പറക്കുക (airplane = വിമാനം, same as Thamizh)

ride   - സവാരി (ചെയ്യുക)

swim  - നീന്തുക (Please note that swimming is நீச்சல் in Thamizh but നീന്തൽ in Malayalam. Accordingly, swimming pool = നീന്തൽ കുളം)

Now, the most common word, road = പാത / വഴി. Often, the English word is used Smile

It is quite interesting to see the words for four directions (NEWS) - three of them are same as Thamizh but west is different, don't know why.

North = വടക്ക്‌
South = തെക്ക്‌ (same as colloquial Thamizh)
East = കിഴക്ക്
West = പടിഞ്ഞാറ്‌ (don't know why they picked a different one for this, may be to showcase that they're in the west coast?)

Right(HS) = വലത്തെ (similar to Thamizh)
Left(HS) = ഇടത്തെ  (similar to Thamizh)
Turn  =  തിരിവ്‌
Return = തിരിച്ചെത്തുക (come back) / തിരിച്ചുപോകുക (go back)

Departure = പുറപ്പാട്‌
Arrival = വരവ്‌

And the most important term to know, late Smile

It is വൈകി or താമസിച്ച്‌ (Please note that താമസം means different things, it could be used for being late but the same is also used for staying / place of stay Laughing )

Quite a lot to memorize & remember, so let me stop here...please ask questions if you need anymore terms / sentences related to travel Smile

There's one general rule : YOU CAN USE ENGLISH WORDS FREELY DURING TRAVEL Smile
(e.g. "ticket" )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 am

Lesson 11 - Some essential lists
Part 4a - Food / eating Smile

We've got some information about numbers, time and travel. What's more, shouldn't we know the key words for food / eating / cooking / grocery shopping and such stuff. Let's get into this area in this installment Smile

Start with the basic words, eat & food Smile

eat = കഴിക്കുക (A typical Thamizh person may ask, what nonsense is this - as the word is used in Thamizh for the opposite i.e. getting stuff out of the body Laughing)

Of course, there are alternatives such as ഭക്ഷിക്കുക / തിന്നുക / ഉണ്ണുക etc but "finishing off that useless duty called eating" is the most common one is use Laughing

food = ഊണ്‌ (the same word is also used for rice ; also the Sanskrit alternatives ഭക്ഷണം / ആഹാരം / ഭോജനം are also acceptable. There's this colloquial word, തീറ്റ that is used in a somewhat derogatory manner, as in തീറ്റയും കുടിയും - food & drink)

Now, putting together the above two words is a frequently used question (or answer) :

Q : ഊണ് കഴിഞ്ഞോ? (sometimes, simply കഴിച്ചോ?)

A: ഊണ് കഴിഞ്ഞു! (Also, കഴിച്ചു കഴിഞ്ഞു means finished eating Laughing )

We've briefly seen above the word for drink - കുടി and the most consumed drink is obviously water. Another funny word for Thamizhians - വെള്ളം (same word means "flood" in Thamizh)

Corresponding "requirement" words in English are hungry & thirsty. In Malayalam, വിശപ്പ്‌ & ദാഹം
(എനിക്ക് വിശക്കുന്നു...ദാഹിക്കുന്നു, വെള്ളം വേണം!)

Well, we've learnt those survival words now Smile

Let us move to the various taste words Wink

sweet = മധുരം

hot (spicy) = എരിവ്‌
(For the heat hot, it's same as Thamizh ചൂട് or Sanskrit ഉഷ്ണം. For cold, it is തണുപ്പ് and accordingly തണല് means shade and not flame!)

salt = ഉപ്പ്‌ (for taste, it is രുചി, typcially salty gets referred as ഉപ്പ്‌ രുചി)

bitter = കയ്പ്പ് (close to the Thamzih கசப்பு but then Malayalees try to remove as much vallinam as possible)

sour = പുളിപ്പ് (exactly same as Thamizh and accordingly tamarind is പുളി)

Now, the major classification, veg / non-veg : സസ്യ / സസ്യേതര Smile

vegetable =പച്ചക്കറി, meat = ഇറച്ചി, chicken = കോഴി, egg = മുട്ട , curry = കറി / കൂട്ടാന്‍

I guess we'll continue in part (b) for more vocabulary & examples Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

Part 4b - Food / eating - some ingradients

We've started with some of the ingradients in the last part, let us continue with a lot more items that we'll need the names for, when shopping in the grocery store Smile

Let's get the name of some of the typical (basic) stuff we get in a vegetable shop first:

onion = ഉള്ളി (depending upon the size, one can add വലിയ  or ചെറിയ in front of this)

garlic = treated as "while onion" Laughing and thus called വെളുത്തുള്ളി !

Don't we often hear of "ginger-garlic-paste" in a number of recipes? So, let us get ginger next...

ginger = same as in Thamizh, ഇഞ്ചി.

Now, the frequent item that goes with the above three in a number of masAlA cooking is the famous fruit, tomato, which is once again same as in Thamizh, തക്കാളി Smile

We've got ഉള്ളി, വെളുത്തുള്ളി, ഇഞ്ചി & തക്കാളി and hence are ready to cook a vegetable masAlA. In a typical Indian cooking setting, for such masAlA, the first step is to get the frying pan (or cooker) on the stove and heat some OIL! Well, for TN-ers, it is typically ground nut (peanut) oil but Malayalees prefer coconut oil for most preparations...Let's get those names straight now:

oil = എണ്ണ

ground nut (peanut) oil = കടലെണ്ണ (Please note that ground nut is typically not called കടല but കപ്പലണ്ടി Laughing )

coconut oil = വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ (literally, the oil of light, possibly used in lamps in the past. Like in the case of peanut, coconut is not called "വെളിച്ചം", which means light! Coconut is called തേങ്ങ , very similar to Thamizh. Also called  നാളികേരം from which the state gets its name കേരളം i.e. land of coconuts, very fittingly!)

We need to definitely know the name of sesame (gingelly) oil which is advertised as "good for heart" Laughing

sesame oil = നല്ലെണ്ണ , same as Thamizh. It's also proper if we call "എള്ളെണ്ണ" as sesame seeds have the same Thamizh name  എള്ള്.

Obviously, there are tons of other types of oils and I'll let the readers find out their names when they shop themselves Wink

Now, the first act after warming up the oil may be to sputter mustard seeds, before throwing in some curry leaves. Let's get those names next, both same as in Thamizh :

mustard seeds  =  കടുക്‌ & curry leaves = കറിവേപ്പില !

Typically, we add those other things already seen (onions / tomatoes / ginger / garlic), add spices and keep sorting, prior to adding vegetables, salt and water to boil and get the masAlA done.

Some main spices & vegetables will be listed next, to complete this part...

some spices :

chilli (hot pepper / cayenne pepper) : മുളക്‌ (of these, a special Kerala variety, കാന്താരിമുളക്‌ is extremely hot and one needs to be careful if eating raw or cooked...I love it, great flavour too)

black pepper : കുരുമുളക്‌ (the word for powder is same as in Thamizh, പൊടി)

turmeric : മഞ്ഞള്

cumin : ജീരകം (Keralites love adding this to water and boil, to make "ജീരവെള്ളം" as a drink during all meals - much like the green tea being served in Chinese restaurants ; this may be one secret to their "slim" bodies) 

coriander : Both മല്ലി & കൊത്തമല്ലി are acceptable, as in the case of Thamizh. The leaves are called മല്ലിയില

cinnamon : Similar to Thamizh, ലവംഗപ്പട്ട

cardamom : ഏലക്ക (ഏലം is acceptable too)

asafoetida : കായം or പെരുങ്കായം, as in Thamizh

Some vegetables :

Egg plant is called in Indian "English" as brinjal and the same is വഴുതനങ്ങ in Malayalam. Occasionally, some varieties are also called കത്തരിക്ക as in Thamizh but the former is the one understood by vegetable sellers.

okra (lady's finger) is called വെണ്ടയ്ക്ക

"drumstick" grown in trees is called മുരിങ്ങക്ക (or simply, മുരിങ്ങ)

tapioca is very popular, കപ്പ and the popular potato gets the same name as in Thamizh ഉരുളക്കിഴങ്ങ് !

Let me end this part with a healthy item, greens, that are called கீரை in Thamizh, are known as ചീര in Malayalam Smile
(Finally significant difference from Thamizh there Laughing)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm

With those food stuff, there had been a gap / break Embarassed

Should come up with the next part within a week!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:28 am

Part 4C - Food / eating - some dishes

Now let us get introduced to some stuff that can actually be eaten (i.e. either ready to eat or ready after cooking Laughing )

I guess we got introduced to ഊണ് earlier, which basically mean food.

However, the same word can also be used for rice (சோறு / चावल ). Of course, the same Thamizh word can also be used as such in Malayalam, i.e. ചോറ് for cooked rice and will be properly understood.

How can I forget the delicious way they served in Pattambi in a marriage, asking each and every person "രസത്തിനു ചോറ്?" (Rice for rasam?) I remember writing about this in the IR-SPB series when recalling unique marriage functions that I've attended during bachelor life.

Well, recall of that tells me that ரசம் / രസം can also be used as in Thamizh Smile 

Word of caution ; Use രസം for that dish ONLY WHILE EATING! Otherwise, it will mean "nice, beautiful" etc Laughing
(എന്ത് രസം! means How nice!)

While the Thamizh word சாம்பார் (sAmbAr) can be used as such for that dish, സാമ്പാറു , that is not a typical Keralite dish. OTOH, the regular dish is curry - കറി (குழம்பு / கறி). For example, fish curry will be called  മീന് കറി Smile

In some places, the words  കൂട്ടാന് / ഉപ്പേരി are also used to denote curry. At other places, those words will only mean side dish (கூட்டு).

For fried side dishes, a word similar to Thamizh is used. Most of us know வறுவல் / பொரியல் in Thamizh. In Malayalam,  an adjective is typically used - like  പൊരിച്ച (മീന്) or മീന് പൊരിച്ചത്. Overall, minor variations. Also, ചുട്ടത് is used in case of non-oily stuff cooked on flame. சுட்டது / சுக்கா வறுவல் Smile

That leads us to the bread items - the famous TN food, இட்லி (idli) is used with a similar word but doubling of consonant. ഇഡ്ഡലി Smile

Likewise, the famous south Indian food, தோசை (dOsA) is used in the typical Malayalam style, taking out the "ai" sound. ദോശ, മസാല ദോശ.

The Keralite specialities, OTOH, are നൂല്പുട്ടു / ഇടിയപ്പം for இடியாப்பம் (idiyAppam). അപ്പം / വെള്ളപ്പം  for ஆப்பம் (Appam), പുട്ട് for புட்டு (puttu) which is typically in cylindrical / tube shape. And the popular side dish that goes with both അപ്പം &   പുട്ട് is കടലക്കറി which is the curry made with black chickpeas (கருப்பு சுண்டல் கறி).

Then there is the famous പറോട്ട which is kind of the top-choice-food of Kerala (IMO). புரோட்டா  / परोटा / parotta / paratha - you can call it in a variety of ways (and also made in a variety of ways all over India) but the top quality ones are undeniably the Malabar ones. Whenever I visited Kozhikkode, I tried to eat the same for breakfast, lunch and dinner - much to the shock of those who travelled with me on each occasion. I simply loved it so much! (Mouth watering right now)  the clap 

A big feast is known as സദ്യ (during their festival ONam, it is customary for family members to come together and have ഓണസദ്യ). Of course, the famous food ബിരിയാണി (பிரியாணி / biriyAni) is present everywhere in India and Kerala is no exception! For a typical Keralite wedding lunch, however, that is not a requirement. Typically it is മട്ട അരി ചോറു (rice made with "matta" - brown & big - rice) with a variety of ഉപ്പേരി.

It has to have നേന്ദ്രം ചിപ്സ്. And has to have അടപ്രഥമന് (பாலடைப் பாயாசம்). It is also preferred they have more than one type of  പ്രഥമന്, often ones made with jack fruit / banana are favourites. (പഴപ്പ്രതമൻ, பழப்பாயாசம்).

All those are mouth watering dishes, without question!

The finishing touch, as always, has to be curd rice! Curd is called similar to Thamizh,  തൈര് (தயிர் / दही). Buttermilk is also used, called similar to Thamizh as well - മോര് /மோர். Obviously, milk is called similar to Thamizh as well - പാല് / பால் / दूद.

Let us get these useful words embedded in memory!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Sureshji wanted to locate a Malayalam poem ('What shall we sell next', by Vijayalakshmi).

It is in this link:
https://www.facebook.com/1536824553222061/photos/a.1536830239888159.1073741828.1536824553222061/1587964141441435/

ഇനിയെന്ത് വില്‍ക്കും ? 

പുഴയെ , കാറ്റിനെ , വെയിലിനെ വില്‍ക്കാന്‍ 
മഴയെ മണ്ണിന്റെ തരികളെ വില്കാന്‍

പതിനാലാം രാവിന്റെയഴകിനെ വില്കാന്‍ 
പുലരിതന്‍ സപ്ത സ്വരങ്ങളെ വില്കാന്‍

അവര്‍ വിളിക്കയായ് ..വരിക, ലോകത്തിന്‍ 
പെരുമടീശീലതലവരേ ..നീല -
മലകള്‍ നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കു കുഴിചെടുക്കുവാന്‍ 
ഹരിതവൃക്ഷങ്ങള്‍ പിഴുതെടുക്കുവാന്‍

മകരവും മഞ്ഞും കുളിരും നിങ്ങള്‍ക്കു
മറന്നു പോകാതെ പൊതിഞ്ഞെടുക്കുവാന്‍ 
അലക്കിത്തേച്ച വെണ്ചിരിയുമായ് നാടു
മുറിച്ചു വില്‍ക്കുവാന്‍ കൊതിച്ചു നില്‍പ്പവര്‍

വിളിച്ചു കൂവുന്നു ..നുറുക്കു‌ കേരളം ..
മുറിചെടുക്കുകീ കശാപ്പു കത്തിയാല്‍ 
ഇനി വില്‍കാനുണ്ട് , തിരിച്ചറിയലിന്‍ 
തുറുപ്പു ചീട്ടൊന്നു കഴുത്തിലിട്ടവര്‍ 
ഇറച്ചിക്കും വേണ്ടാത്തവര്‍ ..ശതകോടി 
അവരെ താങ്ങുവാന്‍ വരുവതാരിനി ?

Let me transliterate this here :

ini enthu vilkkum? 

puzhaye, kAtRine, veyiline vilkkAn
mazhaye, maNNinde tharikaLe vilkkAn

pathinAlAm rAvinde azhagine vilkkAn
pulari than saptha swarangaLe vilkkAn

avar viLikkayAy ..varika, lOkaththil
perumadeesheelathalavarE ..neela-
malakaL ningaLkku kuzhichchedukkuvAn
haritha vrukshangaL pizhuthedukkuvAn

makaravum manjum kuLirum ningaLkku
maRannu pOkAthe pothinjedukkuvAn
alakkiththEchcha veN chiriyumAy nAdu
muRichchu vilkkuvAn kothichchu nilppavar

viLichchu koovunnu ..nuRukku kEraLam ..
muRichchedukkukee kashAppu kaththiyAl
ini vilkkAnuNdu, thirichchaRiyalin
thuruppu cheettonnu kazhuththilittavar
iRachchikkum vENdAththavar ..shathakOdi
avare thAnguvAn varuvathaarini?

இனி எந்து வில்க்கும் ?

புழயெ, காற்றினெ, வெயிலினெ வில்க்கான் 
மழயெ மண்ணின்டெ தரிகளெ வில்க்கான்

பதினாலாம் ராவின்டெ அழகினெ வில்க்கான் 
புலரிதன் சப்த ஸ்வரங்களெ  வில்க்கான்

அவர் விளிக்கயாய் - வரிக, லோகத்தின்
பெருமடீஷீலதலவரெ ..நீல
மலகள் நிங்ஙள்க்கு குழிச்செடுக்குவான் 
ஹரித வ்ருக்ஷங்ஙள் பிழுதெடுக்குவான்

மகரவும் மஞ்ஞும் குளிரும் நிங்ஙள்க்கு
மறன்னு போகாதெ பொதிஞ்ஞெடுக்குவான்
அலக்கித்தேச்ச வெண் சிரியுமாய் நாடு 
முறிச்சு வில்க்குவான் கொதிச்சு நில்ப்பவர்

விளிச்சு கூவுன்னு ...நுறுக்கு கேரளம் 
முறிச்செடுக்கீ கஷாப்பு கத்தியால் 
இனி வில்க்கானுண்டு , திரிச்சறியலின்
துறுப்பு சீட்டொன்னு கழுத்திலிட்டவர் 
இறச்சிக்கும் வேண்டாத்தவர் ...ஷதகோடி 
அவரெ தாங்ஙுவான் வருவதாரினி?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks app for the help. Now kindly try the translation Smile

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:Thanks app for the help. Now kindly try the translation Smile

Not a good quality one - done with my severe limitations Embarassed

இனி என்ன விற்பார்கள்?

ஆற்றையும் காற்றையும் வெயிலையும் விற்பதற்கும் 
மழையையும் மண்ணின் துகள்களையும் விற்பதற்கும் 
பதினான்காம் காலையின் அழகை விற்பதற்கும் 
காலைப்பொழுதின் சப்த ஸ்வரங்களை விற்பதற்கும்

அவர்கள் கூப்பிடுகிறார்கள்! - வருக, உலகத்தின் 
பெரும் பணப்பை கொண்ட கனவான்களே - 

நீல மலைகள் உங்களுக்குத் தோண்டி எடுப்பதற்கும்
அழகான மரங்கள் பிடுங்கி எடுக்கவும்
மகரமும் பனியும் குளிரும் உங்களுக்கு
மறந்து விடாமல் (பையில்) கொண்டு போவதற்கும்

சலவை செய்த வெள்ளைச் சிரிப்புடன் நாட்டை
கூறு போட்டு விற்பதற்குக் காதலுடன் நிற்பவர்கள் 
உரக்கக் கூப்பிடுகிறார்கள்!  - கேரளத்தைக் கூறு போடு
வெட்டி எடுங்கள் இந்தக் கசாப்புக் கத்தியால்!

இனி விற்பதற்கு உண்டு - கண்டுபிடிப்பதற்கான 
துருப்புச்சீட்டு கழுத்தில் இட்டிருப்பவர்கள் 
இறைச்சிக்கும் உதவாதவர் ...நூறு கோடி
அவர்களைத் தாங்குவதற்கு (வாங்குவதற்கு?) இனி வருவது யார்?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 am

Some clarifications on the above translation :

1. ராவு = காலை ("ராத்ரி" தான் இரவு)

2. பொதி = பை / மூட்டை (பொதிஞ்சு என்றால் wrap பண்ணி, pack பண்ணி, கட்டிச்சுற்றி, கவர் பண்ணி, போர்த்தி என்றெல்லாம் அர்த்தம்)

3. திரிச்சறியல் என்றால் அடையாளம் கண்டு கொள்ளுதல் என்று அர்த்தம். (Identification / ID card)

4.  I have a doubt if the last line has a typo in that FB page (தாங்குவான் v/s வாங்குவான்).  மற்றபடி, தாங்ஙுவான் is the same as Thamizh தாங்குவான்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm

The above translation (actually a version improved by the pathAkai team) is included in Sureshji's article :

http://padhaakai.com/2015/03/15/kaviyin-kann-8/

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  al_gates Wed May 25, 2016 9:32 pm

App Engine Saar. THis is brilliant. CAn you please place all the "study materials" in googledrive instead of mediafire since 1.expiry date 2. access from office?

Your teaching format can be adapted for teaching Hindi as well I feel. Thank you very much Sir  Very Happy

al_gates

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 25, 2016 11:13 pm

al_gates wrote:CAn you please place all the "study materials" in googledrive instead of mediafire since 1.expiry date 2. access from office?

I will work on it Smile

nanRi for the kind words Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm

മലയാലത്തില്‍ കീപ്പേദ് ദവുന്ലോദ് ചെയ്ധു ഇവിദെ വന്നു ന്യാന്‍ റ്റൈപ്പിങ് ചൈയ്യുന്നു. தமிழைப் போலவே இதுவும் சுயக்கல்வியே, தங்கள் உதவியோடு. നന്നി  Very Happy
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:34 pm

സ്വാഗതം Smile

എന്നാലും, ഞാൻ കീബോർഡ് ഉപയോഗിച്ച് ശീലിച്ചു പോയി...ഫോണിൽ റ്റൈപ്പ് ചെയ്യാൻ മടി Smile
(അതുകൊണ്ടു ഗൂഗിൾ ഇന്പുട് ടൂൾസ് കൊണ്ട് തന്നെയാണ് കളിക്കുന്നത്)

Please see the word റ്റൈപ്പ് above Laughing 

That's how they write "type" in Malayalam ற்றைப்பு Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:52 am

app_engine wrote:സ്വാഗതം Smile

എന്നാലും, ഞാൻ കീബോർഡ് ഉപയോഗിച്ച് ശീലിച്ചു പോയി...ഫോണിൽ റ്റൈപ്പ് ചെയ്യാൻ മടി Smile
(അതുകൊണ്ടു ഗൂഗിൾ ഇന്പുട് ടൂൾസ് കൊണ്ട് തന്നെയാണ് കളിക്കുന്നത്)

Please see the word റ്റൈപ്പ് above Laughing 

That's how they write "type" in Malayalam ற்றைப்பு Smile
നന്നി. പക്ഷേ ന്യാന്‍ പരയ വന്നതു typing ആണു. Type അല്ലാ  Smile ഷെരിയ കൊഴപ്പൌ ഉണ്ദായി. Again. Don't mind this message itself. More of an attempt to construct a sentence in Malayalam and try to write it correctly myself Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Laughing

Typing = Type cheyying Smile 
(So, I was also talking about the same thing)

Well, some minor nitpicks on your typing :

ന്യാന്‍ പരയ വന്നതു = ഞാൻ പറയാൻ വന്നത് (gnAn paRayAn vannathu)

അല്ലാ = അല്ല 
(No nedil business in Malayalam, especially for "a/A" sounds in the end. 
 Not even for names Laughing anithA = அனிதா = അനിത rotfl Don't know why they do that)

ഷെരിയ കൊഴപ്പൌ = ചെറിയ കൊഴപ്പം (കുഴപ്പം)

Also, typically it is കൊഴപ്പം  പറ്റി (rather than ഉണ്ടായി)

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2