Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  BC Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:08 am

Another superhit album.  Except the title song, the rest are superhits and often-played on Radio and TV.

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 24 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:49 pm

Looks like I'm quite ignorant of the number of super hit albums this year Embarassed From what I hear in twitter and also the youtube views, this is another super hit album in which I knew only the "vanamellAm song" earlier. Let us add the hits here now!

#1537 vanamellAm sheNbagappoo (SPB solo & PS-SPB duet versions, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
What a lovely rhythm delight this song is! Very enjoyable!!

#1538 kAdhalukku kaNgaL illai mAnE (SL-SPB duet, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
First time listen for me, poignant number with standard orchestration and sweet melody!

#1539 vAnga vAnga mAppiLLaiyE (Sunanda / TS Ragavendar / Sundarrajan / MV group song, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
Fun song with standard IR elements for a nAttuppuRappAttu, enjoyable!

#1540 AgAya thAmarai arugil vandhadhE (SJ-IR duet, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
Thoroughly enjoyable themmAngu and rAsA's signing adds weight to the song!

#1541 sithiriaththu thErE vA (SL-Mano duet, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
Possibly the only song in the album with some grandiose orch, enjoyable!

#1542 maNNaiyum ponnaiyum koduththava yAru (SJ-SPB with chorus, nAdOdi pAttukkAran)
Another rhythm delight with a different melody!

Adding poll for next album in the list - onnA irukka kaththukkaNum - never heard before the name of this album  Embarassed

manusanai theru theruvA [Title Song]Gangai Amaran
kaththukaNum kaththukaNum oNNA irukkaMalaysia Vasudevan / T.S.Ragavendar / Sundarajan / Sunandha
nALai thalaivanallavA vAdAMano / Chorus
kAdhalunnA unga veettu kaththarikAyAMalaysia Vasudevan / Swarnalatha / Minmini / Gangai Amaran
mAdi veettilai vAzhnthAlum [samathuvam intha pAdaiyilai]Malaysia Vasudevan / Krishnamoorthy / Kovai Soundarajan
rAmasAmy vElusAmy [yEzhu malai sAmy]Malaysia Vasudevan / T.S.Ragavendar / Gangai Amaran / Dheeban Chakaravarthy

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 am

Only the song KaththukkaNum was a moderate hit; often played song in the album.  The rest were not.

Jukebox on Mio: https://mio.to/album/Onna+Irukka+Kathukkanum+%281992%29 

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Once again overwhelming response that this album was not a hit, so leaving it alone for this thread Smile

Next one in the spreadsheet is pANdiyan and I need to have a poll for this (a rarity for an album for a Rajini movie). I believe the movie titles informed that "pANdiyanin rAjjiyaththil uyyalAlA" was by Karthik Raja - not sure if the whole song was by him or just the tune...I'll ask others to comment on it as to whether it was a hit / should we have in our list etc.
(Personally I would like it to be excluded if KR had any "composing" contribution for the song)

pANdiyanA kokkA kokkAMano / Chorus
anbE neeyenna antha kaNNanO mannanOMano / K.S.Chithra
pANdiyanin rAjjiyathil uiyalAlAMano / K.S.Chithra
adi jumbA jeyipathu intha pANdiyanthAnMano / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
ulagathukAga piRanthavan nAnEMano / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:56 am

Superhit album.  All the songs were often heard.

The song "Paandiyanin raajjiyathil" was composed by IR, with Karthik Raja (making his debut) being credited for arranging that song and that song only - as per the following 1992 news article movie review: 

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:45 pm

Per the sentiment of most IRF's let us leave the KR song out of our list Smile Even the wiki article on the movie lists KR as the MD for that song and may be that's the public opinion as well.

That way, adding two songs from the album to our list.

#1543 pANdiyanA kokkA kokkA (Mano with chorus, pANdiyan)
Not a big fan of this song - possibly designed to cater to the HCF's Rajini.

#1544 anbE nee enna kaNNanO mannanO (KSC / Mano duet, pANdiyan)
Very nice and sweet song - my favorite from this album, though it is average compared to the 100's of other songs IR gave for Rajini movies Embarassed

Moving on to the next album in our list, 'pArvathi ennaippAradi' - not sure about how the songs fared in TN.

mAnukkum meenukkum mayilukkum kuyilukkumS.Janaki / Chorus
sooriyanai kaNdavudan thAmaraiyEn malaruthuS.Janaki 
kombugaL illA kALaiyai pAruS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
pArvathi yennai pAradi [chinna poongkiLi] [Pathos]S.P.Balasubramaniam 
chinna poongkiLi sinthum thEn mozhiS.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
muththu thErE thErE pakkam yArE yArES.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
vAlibarE vAlibarE [peNgaLai nambAthE]Malaysia Vasudevan / Chorus
kAdhalil mAttAmal ulavugindRa kALaiyavanMalaysia Vasudevan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:32 am

The album is actually a hit.  

Chinna poongiLi (both songs), Sooriyana kandavudan, KombugaLillaa, Muthu therey and Sooriyana kandavudan were more hits than the rest of the songs which could be Tier-3 hits at least.  All the songs were frequently on radio and those 4 songs were often played on TV at that time.

A good album that fell in the wrong movie, just another "Vizhalukku iraitha neer"-kind.

Jukebox:

BC

app_engine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:32 pm

Though for some unknown faces / team, IR had done a tremendous and sincere job in this 'pArvathi ennaippAradi' movie - songs are nice. I've even found one addition to our misra nadai thread from this album - a song hitherto unheard by me Embarassed

Adding the hits from the album, as per general consensus of TN-ers :

#1545 mAnukkum meenukkum (SJ solo, pArvathi ennaippAradi)
Jolly song with enough enthu and SJ nails it as usual!

#1546 kombugaL illA kALaiyai pAru (KSC-SPB with chorus, pArvathi ennaippAradi)
Typical movie situational song and one can only pity that how many times IR would have to push himself (with absolutely no external motivation) to come up with winners for such settings!

#1547 pArvathi ennaippAradi (SPB solo, pArvathi ennaipppAradi)
While the main melody is a pathos version of a superb duet, this songs gets an entirely different treatment in the orch / interludes to become an independent hit of its own calibre!

#1548 chinnappoonkiLi (SJ-SPB duet, pArvathi ennaippAradi)
One of those innumerable IR-SJ-SPB unbeatable winning combo songs! Sweet and catchy and enjoyable!

#1549 muththuthErE thErE pakkam yArE yArE (KSC-SPB duet, pArvathi ennaippAradi)

Sweet song with 7 beat cycle - a genre in itself among IR songs and never boring!

I need to add a poll for the next one "pangALi" - another album not much known to me Embarassed

selvamE chiththiramE poonthErE [Male] [Title Song]Mano
selvamE chiththiramE poonthErE [Female]Jikki
kaNNammA kaNNammA [mARugiRa bhoomiyilai]Malaysia Vasudevan
yen Raasiyai oorengilum kEttu pAruMano / Vani Jayaram / Chorus
moottaiyellAm avizhthu viduMalaysia Vasudevan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 am

Only the song "Yen raasiya" was a moderate hit.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm

As most HCIRFs say "pass" for pangALi, let us not count any for this list Smile

Next poll is for another album unknown to me "periyammA" (and I'm upset it does not have any song by SJ! I call her "periyammA" - due to the resemblance of voice with my mom's elder sister, a trained singer who sounds like SJ when singing in kitchen Laughing )

maNi oonjal meethu viLaiyAdum mAnEP.Banumathi Ramakrishna
poovE varuga poojai thodangaMano / K.S.Chithra
ivaLthAnE peNmaNi yellorukkum kaNmaNiilaiyaRaaja
ponmaNi mAdam punnagai deebamMano / K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kr Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:20 pm

"Mani Oonjal" by Bhanumathi is one of my favorite songs.  You have got to listen to it!

Kr

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:16 am

Sadly, the album is not a popular one, but I adore the album.  Mani oonjal in Bhanumathi's grand vocals (though aged) sounds like the bronze bell in the temple.  Love the short song in her voice "Sembaruthi poovu" in Chembaruthi movie as well; although too short it keeps you yearning for more.  You can extend the same for Guna's song "Unnai naan ariven" where the mighty vocal cords of the veteran actress Varalakshmi easily overshadows even that of SJ's! 

As a composer, he has done his job well.  And at the end of the day, that is what matters.  As IR himself said "They all want hit songs while my concern is to compose a good song".  As a listener, that is all I care about too.

Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 pm

So, the album "periyammA" gets a "pass" by most IRFs from TN and let us move on.

This is a rare case of me listening to the songs of an IR album for the first time when watching the movie in theater Smile After that I've heard many times the super hit song 'nenjukkuLLE innArunnu' and 'anbai sumandhu' (and chronicled them in the IR-SPB thread). Not sure about how the other songs fared in TN or elsewhere those days Embarassed

So, we need a poll for ponnumaNi also ("super hit, why poll"னு அடிக்க வராதீங்க!:

Adi pattam thEdi pArthu [Title Song]Mano
nenjukkuLLE innArunnu sonnAl puriyumA [Duet]S.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki
yEi vanjikodi manjachedi vanthathadiilaiyaRaaja
anbai sumanthu sumanthuS.P.Balasubramaniam
sindhu nathi semmeenES.P.Balasubramaniam
Aththu mEttilE muththam oNNu koduthAS.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:13 am

Chartbuster album.  Hope you do not take the song "Adiye vanjikodi" into account because it has been credited to Karthik Raja in the movie itself.

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:31 pm

Thank you BC, for the reminder that vanjikkodi is KR's, I'll leave that out. Listing all others from that album as confirmed by TN-ers.

#1550 Adippattam (Mano solo, ponnumaNi)
Title song and I didn't warm up to it when I listened to it for the first time, watching in the movie hall Embarassed Felt it was boring and didn't care to listen to it again.

#1551 nenjukkuLLE innArunnu (SJ-SPB duet, also a sad version, ponnumaNi)
Classic! Known for its sweet melody and the dramatic transformations in the saraNam. 

#1552 anbai sumanthu sumanthu (SPB solo, ponnumaNi)
Terrific song - one that I was thoroughly enjoying as a "song" (rather than for the situation in the movie) when watching for the first time in theater Laughing Another phenomenal melody!

#1553 sindhu nadhi chemmeenE (SPB solo, ponnumaNi)
For whatever reason this song didn't register well with me, didn't even play in mind when I read the line and had to listen to find out how it sounds Embarassed

#1554 Aththu mEttula muththam onnu koduththA (SJ-SPB duet, ponnumaNi)
Like the title song, this is another that didn't resonate with me greatly as an IR song. Didn't care to listen much, but TN-ers seem to have liked it!

Moving on to the next poll, poRkAlam, not sure if this were a dubbing album. Never heard anything about it before.

siRuvANi meenuthAn rusipAru dhooLuthAnMano / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
manjathil sollu oru storyMano / K.S.Chithra 
adi jillu jillu nillu puLLi mayilEMano / K.S.Chithra 
Adai moodum ALAna alliDinesh / Swarnalatha / Chorus
moththamAi singAra mEni thottu pArkkaDinesh / K.S.Chithra
adi nadaiyO pinnum idaiyO minnumMano / K.S.Chithra 

app_engine

BC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:02 am

It is the Tamil dubbed version of the Telugu blockbuster album "Dharmakshetram".  It never even saw the light of the day in TN; never heard any of the songs in Tamil.

Telugu Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:14 pm

One more dubbing album that didn't make it big in TN - so "poRkAlam" is a no-hit-so-pass album.

Next one to be on poll is 'rAkkAyi kOyil' - once again not much familiar to me. (One song, unthanin pAdal, is familiar to me because of UR thread and Pulamaipithan thread - otherwise no idea of the songs).

nAttukkuLLE jAthi uNduMano / Chorus
ada Aththira koLLAthEMano / Minmini / Chorus
yellOrukkum vanthathu vanthathu nalla dhinamMano / Chorus
thirunAL thodanguthu niRai nAL poRanthathuMano / Chorus
unthanin pAdal yennai yengO koNdu sellaMano / Uma Ramanan

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:02 am

"Undhanin paadal" was a moderate hit; the rest were not.

Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Adding one song from rAkkAyi kOyil, as confirmed by TN-ers :

#1555 undhanin pAdal ennai engO koNdu sella (UR-Mano duet, rAkkAyi kOyil)
As mentioned in the previous post, I know this song because of UR and Pulavar threads only. OTOH, TN-ers confirm this one song alone was popular from this album.

Next poll for "rAsukkutty" - once again I wasn't familiar with these songs when they arrived Embarassed That was quite rare for a KBR movie album!

vAdi yen sengkamalam [Title Song]Minmini
adi nAn pudicha kiLiyES.P.Balasubramaniam / Chorus
yenga poNNunga [pALaiyathu pONNu]K.S.Chithra / Sundarajan / Saibaba / T.S.Ragavendar
hOli hOli hOli suba lAli lAli lAliS.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:20 am

With the exception of "Vaadi en sengamalam", the rest are superhits that were heard/played frequently on Radio and TV.  Good album.

Jukebox on Mio and Gaana: https://mio.to/album/Ilaiyaraaja/Raasukutti+%281992%29

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:23 pm

Adding 3 songs from the rAsukkutty album, as confirmed by many TN-ers (and the YT view counts seem to support the same assessment).

#1556 adi nAn pudichcha kiLiyE (SPB with chorus, rAsukkutty)
With millions of hits on YT, this song seems to be popular with the masses even today (though not tasteful either musically or visually). One of those that I won't listen or watch a second time Embarassed

#1557 pALaiyaththuppoNNu (KSC with Saibaba / Sundarrajan / Raghavendar, rAsukkutty)
Nice song, mainly KSC show IMHO.

#1558 hOli hOli hOli suba lAli lAli lAli (SJ-SPB duet, rAsukkutty)
IR-SJ-SPB combo cannot go wrong Smile The obvious best pick from this album and I'm happy it had popularity in TN when arrived, fully deserving!

Next album is another MSV-IR collaboration, like MKT. I've heard many of these songs and some of them should have been big hits in TN. Let us find out :

senthamizhppAttu

vaNNa vaNNa solleduthu [Title Song]Jikki
solli solli vanthathillaiS.P.Balasubramaniam / Sunandha
adi kOmAthA nee intha oorai kAkkuRa kulamAthAS.P.Balasubramaniam
chinna chinna thooRal yennaS.P.Balasubramaniam / Anuradha
kAlaiyil kEttathu kOyil maNiS.P.Balasubramaniam / Swarnalatha / Chorus
intha bhoomiyilE yennai padaithuvittuMano
koottukoru pAttirukku kEttukkammAMano

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:35 am

Smash-hit album.  All the songs were a rage except "Indha boomiyile" which was an un-picturized song.

Available only as a playlist on IR-O: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89t04T3yNyY7oegX_bSvc-etoO0Gh3SB

Jukebox is on Spotify, Mio and Gaana.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0siBGchxsK7gglrXnd0KDC

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Most TN-ers confirm the success of the MSV-IR album senthamizhppAttu. Let us add the 5 hit songs to this thread list Smile

#1559 vaNNa vaNN solleduththu / sollichcholli vandhathillai (Jikki solo, Sunantha-SPB duet - two versions - senthamizhppAttu)
Sweet melody (though sounding a little "dated" for 90's but then there had to be some MSV-touch) and nice singing!

#1560 adi kOmAtha (SPB solo, senthamizhppAttu)
Did not reach me in Kerala but was a hit in TN - not a personal favorite as I could not listen to this multiple times Embarassed Neither did get included in the IR-SPB series at mayyam.

#1561 chinnachchinna thooRal enna (Anuradha - SPB duet, senthamizhppAttu)
Sweet song with interesting orch - once again sounding a little old for 90s

#1562 kAlaiyil kEttadhu kOyil maNi (SL-SPB duet with chorus, senthamizhppAttu)
Excellent number and quite energetic!

#1563 koottukkoru pAttirukku kEttukkammA (Mano solo, senthamizhppAttu)
Another nice melody and listenable song.

I need to say here that NONE of the songs of this album were anywhere near that awesome MTK album Embarassed  That was of a different class compared to this album which happened to be a "just pass mark" thingy,

The next album will not need a poll Smile Pavalar creations / Kamal / RVU - super hit songs - singAra vElan - let us list them all here:

#1564 sonnapadi kELu makkar paNNAdhE (KH with chorus, singAravElan)
Fun song with interesting rhythm work (actually every song in this album has terrific rhythm work) and funny sounds Smile

#1565 O rangA srirangA kopparaththEngA (SPB-KH with multiple singers & chorus, singAravElan)
Horrible double meaning lyrics but coming in disguise with terrific music masking all the ugliness Embarassed

#1566 innum ennai enna seyyappOgiRAy (SJ-SPB duet, singAravElan)
Fantastic melody with awesome orchestration, IR-only-possible kind of song! gambeera nAttai rAgam I believe.

#1567 pudhuchchEri kachchEri ekkachchakka pArty (SPB with kids happy version and a pathos version, singAravElan)
This song, like most others in the album, gets interesting in the saraNam and can be enjoyed many times! I'm not a fan of the "bumchikka" stuff, though Embarassed Picturization is inspired from Mary poppins (chim chimney song whose tune was earlier borrowed by MSV for pEsum maNimuthu rOjAkkaL and later by ARR for peNNalla peNNalla oothAppoo. Here KH uses the idea for on-screen stuff)

#1568 thoodhu selvadhAradi (SJ solo, singAravElan)
Lovely song, too short for the sweetness IMHO

#1569 pOttu vaiththa kAdhal thittam (KH with Saibaba / Arunmozhi, singAravElan)
Fantastic high pitch number, popular to this day for super singer kind of contests. Rare case of "interlude repeat" by IR.

Next album, thAi mozhi, needs a poll as no song plays in my mind and I need help from TN-ers :

madhurai veeran sAmy sAmy [Title Song]ilaiyaRaaja / Chorus
singAra mAnE poonthEnEMano / Swarnalatha / Chorus
thAyillA piLLai oru thAlAttu pAdaArunmozhi
kOdi muththukaLai nALum vAri aLLi tharumMano / S.Janaki / Chorus
jinjillArO konja vA vAS.Janaki

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:22 am

Singaara maane was a moderate hit.  Madhura veeran saami was Tier-3 hit.  Skeptical about the hit-status of the song KOdi muthukkaLai, though I have heard it a few times.

Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:01 pm

As per the opinions of most TN-ers, adding one song from "thAi mozhi" album.

#1570 singAra mAnE poonthEnE (SL-Mano duet, thAi mozhi)
Typical "mAnE thEnE" lyrics Laughing First time listen for me and it's quite sweet!

Next poll for an album which got introduced to me by MaestrosApp (App Jockey was discussing the thenRal varum theru song extensively) - hitherto unknown to me Embarassed

thenRal varum theru

puthiya paRavai paRanthathESwarnalatha / Chorus
unnai pOla chinna puLLaiMano / K.S.Chithra / Kovai Soundarajan / Chorus
amma piLLaiyA nee appA piLLaiyAMano / Uma Ramanan / Baby Prasanna
pachchaiyappA pachchaiyappA [jalAmali jAlamali]Gangai Amaran / Chorus
thendRal varum theru athu neethAnEMano / Minmini
mEni kothikkuthadi minnal thudikkaiyilEMano

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 31 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27 ... 31  Next