Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

+33
kameshratnam
soco_sri
mythila
crimson king
Wizzy
Shank
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Sakalakala Vallavar
Manoj Raj
Kr
d22_malarr
ank
kamalaakarsh
irfan123
இசை
AbhiMusiq
vicks
panniapurathar
irir123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
groucho070
prakash
V_S
plum
writeface
sagi
fring151
Raaga_Suresh
counterpoint
Balu
kiru
vaticanscientist
37 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 12 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  irir123 Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 am

kiru wrote:Well.. we are hearing that with the copyright issues ? Whoever is selling IR's music never paid any royality to IR so far. Must be Agilan included. I think I read Karthik bad mouthing him. Oh.. I heard even IR saying that he helped people whose wives were ready to leave them (we know Agilan had family issues). Anyways, IR is right (if the news is accurate) in turning over the rights to the producers (who probably held the rights originally as they funded the production of the music for the movie). We should see much more reasonable situation on this front moving forward.

which Karthik? and who is he bad mouthing? IR or Agilan?

if Agilan made money over the last few years from selling IR's music online and elsewhere, why is he complaining now? if he were smart, wouldn't he have invested that money into something more viable?
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 12 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:57 am

irir123,
Did you see this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqkAIJGHTG0

IR is upset with Agilan & his EchO classmate. Now it has gone to court decision level.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  AbhiMusiq Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:05 am

Vijay TV program where KJY talks of Raja's commitment in the second video clipping..

http://www.techsatish.com/2015/03/vijay-tv-show-yesudas-50-oru-munnotam_14.html

AbhiMusiq

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 pm

Link posted in twitter by Nerd :
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tamil/movies/news/To-stop-fake-accounts-Ilaiyaraaja-joins-FB/articleshow/46645174.cms

:thEvai illAdha ANi:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm

One doubt. Maybe app saar can help. There was a Mridangam vidhwan who said in an interview about Raaja being his inspiration and when he played something he conceived on the Mirdangam, his Guru (?) called out, "Raaja vaa?" Who is this vidhwan? And may I get the video too. I remember it being shared somewhere here in this forum but am unable to recollect it. Thanks in advance.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:10 pm

player is Madurai T Srinivasan, 

[size=32]bonus audio from his other shisyan [/size]

https://soundcloud.com/listentorajiv/spb-and-das-about-madurai-t
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 am

Thank you. Was telling my friend IR's top player was Madurai Srinivasan but this gentleman is different. Turns out I was looking for VV Subramaniam Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Fellow forumer இசை starting to blog IR's journey :
http://irbow.blogspot.com/2015/03/blog-post.html?view=timeslide

மொட்டை, நம் வாழ்வில் ஒரு பகுதியாக இருந்த கணங்களை மீட்டெடுத்து, பொதுவெளியில் பகிரும் ஒரு களமாகவும் இப்பதிவை உங்கள் முன் வைக்கிறேன். 

the clap

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:51 pm

ஃபாஸ்ட் ஃபார்வர்ட் முறையில் ஓட்டிப்பார்க்கையில் கண்ணில் பட்டது:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCwRPJCAB0&t=2837s

(Sun TV program on 80's - mostly kuppai but some IR stuff at the above instant followed by Haricharan singing 'enna saththam indha nEram')

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:54 pm

from Ravishankar.. Lovely one.....
Ilaiyaraja interludes ---Running music for heroines.............. Nice subtitles.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_c-t5juyo

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:20 am

self plug.. tried something on kalvane..
https://raajabrahmam.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/the-thief-we-welcome/

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Lovely write-up Jai on kaLvanE kaLvanE. Really loved reading. Especially the last paragraph where you brought Krishna-Gopika analogy to Maestro and his instruments is truly well thought out and presented.

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:00 pm

nandri v_s!!

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 am

Jai .. I think I am with you on the 'purity' part. I also feel he is now in a stage of 'clarity'  !!! Not many music directors will agree that they are learning every day. It is very great of IR to say in a public function that he is learning Jazz from the Hungarian musicians. This humility can come only from a complete sense of satisfaction with ones own knowledge and progress. Personally, I noticed this (no mix-match), when Ivan came out. But it manifested in a NEPV on the WCM front, even though Guru was a prequel.
(Not sure, you all know, Kavi Alexander with his Water Lily Acoustics label releases many albums which are collaborative works of artistes from different cultures. IR apparently was not impressed these kinds of fusions. I guess he was striving for a different kind of fusion and we are now seeing the fruits of it)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Jaiganesh,

Beautiful and Perfect Narration...

This portion  
 "Now having learnt/proved everything, he simply has switched to the zone of purity. Unabashed pure carnatic music or pristine western classical music and in this case – classic jazz. It is true that pure pre conceived and composed jazz is like the theoretical quantum particle that travels faster than photon – it is just theory, because fundamental to jazz is ‘improvisation’ and spontaneity. Spontaneity, not just in terms of how a tune is constructed, but all round, lyrics, distinct instruments having their own lines and repartees to the lead singers and other sections. Totally it is an anarchist domain. My first listening to a jazz album was rather disconcerting – because i expected it to be like the traditional Western Classical Music pieces, concertos or sonatas, composed, ordered and organized, but what I got was a disconcerting detours and unexpected repartees with no single controlling entity – or that is what I thought of. Later I could realize the repetitions, the grooves, there is all a sense of fugue, one central piece introduced and improvised upon layer by layer, instrument by instrument, individual by individual, ending in a delectable finish, a crescendo of sorts. Wait, where is composer in midst of all this? What would My Raja do in this setup. Sure, he had the best set of instrumentalists, be it flute, bass guitar or Cellos, but he was the one known to control them completely. He gives them the notes and cues, they replicate His ideas faithfully. His singers are on a even tighter leash, improvising only after careful thought and three levels of approvals. So this idea is a non starter – that of Raaja doing a jazz song submitting himself to the requirements of Jazz.

Measurement of IR's Music......... very Nice Jaiganesh......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Violin Vicky's works.

adi athadi. 1st interlude.. What a speedy delivery.. amazing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxSGznKWDE

En jodi manja kuruvi...... Fantastic. from Vion vicky...... something Great..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr0GVN7sSsA

cinema paatu.. cinema paataga than iruka vendum.. Instruments endru varum podhu...  sila peruku apadi varuvadhu ilai......... Carnatic flavour aga
maari vidum... But.. from VV........ Perfect to the core.. Especially the Interludes............  paarata vaarthai ilai......

Multi part Strings Ensemble arrangement in Sangeetha Megam by Ilaiyaraaja
Miga periya vishayam solli irukar........ Tats all....
In almost all these videos I have seen, the strings section just play long lame notes of semibreves as an oblivion accompaniment (They might as well have been replaced by soft pads of any keyboard). At best the "experimenting" kind use the strings ensemble to create a racy momentum with strokes of continuous staccato quavers. Seriously..!!? 

It is clear that these phonies use the strings ensemble in their shows as a Trojan horse to create grandeur while they clearly lack the substance to control such a powerful artillery. 

I say this, because a strings ensemble is typically arranged in parts of first violin, second violins, Violas, Cello and Double bass. 
(In most cases the cello and double bass would have similar parts. So a composer need at least write 3 different parts.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIt4c0Bgz_I

Solai pushpangalae........ from violin....

Violinku yetra IR songs.. kandu pidika katru kondu vittar ........ Nice one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pD4A8b177I

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 pm

IR songs for Violin...  some songs. try pannalam vicky...

1. naan pada varuvai

2. Engae nee sendralum angum

3. Enai enna seidha vengulazhae

4. kootathilae kovil pura

5. Dharisanam kidaikadha

6. koondhalilae megam

7. Ennai pada solladhae

one song request for Piano.......  Devan thiruchabai malargalae........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:59 pm

This week. Valachi. Navaragamalika .......  Theriya paduthiyadharku Nanri.......... 

kaeka.. romba inimaiyaga iruku......... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSsX89made4

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Pon manai thedudhae from Alex Pandiyan........ Excellent one........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKFbNPDSY4

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:55 pm

thanks ushakka!!

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:05 pm

kiru wrote:Jai .. I think I am with you on the 'purity' part. I also feel he is now in a stage of 'clarity'  !!! Not many music directors will agree that they are learning every day. It is very great of IR to say in a public function that he is learning Jazz from the Hungarian musicians. This humility can come only from a complete sense of satisfaction with ones own knowledge and progress. Personally, I noticed this (no mix-match), when Ivan came out. But it manifested in a NEPV on the WCM front, even though Guru was a prequel.
(Not sure, you all know, Kavi Alexander with his Water Lily Acoustics label releases many albums which are collaborative works of artistes from different cultures. IR apparently was not impressed these kinds of fusions. I guess he was striving for a different kind of fusion and we are now seeing the fruits of it)
The hallmark of a Genius is to show that he/she can learn a new trick at any point of time and master it. Raaja seems to be exhibiting that trait regularly. I want to impress on the word 'trait' - It is not an extra effort or hard work thingy for him. That is his nature..
His fusion - we have discussed at depth in many forums is all about making the transition smoother to the listener. Not like jugal bandhi cacophony - sometimes that works on a concert level - but not as a composed piece of work that you want to place in shelves and revisit.
Initially it was all about having a segue in a string section that could be played by a solo violin in Carnatic style, later on as he grew bolder he got the entire string section play out a charukesi with woodwinds and horns sticking to western classical style. Then came a phase in 90s when even the wind instruments started merging into the main carnatic melody. All along it was always a feel that the heart of the song was an Indian Raaga dictating terms of progression. More recently he has completely changed the equation - Now it is all the same, Having proven that he has moved away from his 80s and 90s style and is creating distinct ballads and operatic pieces that are WCM/Jazz but all Raaja. He might break it down to a native in Sa Re Ga Mas but that is not how the piece came to him upon rumination..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 am

Great write up.  By the by, not all jazz is entirely made up.  Esp vocal jazz with lyrics.  Usually somebody happens to write a standard and then the singers/musicians run with it, expanding outrageously on stage.  But it's certainly more spontaneous than anything dictated by the rigid requirements of a score.  There is precedent for this.  Steely Dan's sophisticated albums, with esp the last two before their break up Aja and Gaucho often crossing over into almost full-jazz territory, were the product of several exacting takes and re-takes by the musicians until they delivered exactly what songwriters Becker and Fagen wanted.  'Calculated' jazz in other words.  

Another aspect is even Kalvane is so staccato and punchy.  I wouldn't say there's no place for staccato in jazz but it is very unusual for a full song to be staccato and yet sound jazz-like.  Thus, the feeling of jazz is evoked more by the very 'traditional' style of drumming and the chords.  As usual, jazz is ultimately a canvass for Raja to paint over and break out into 'Raja-genre'.  The beats in Kalvane are very old world but some of the keyboard passages evoke a more contemporary flavour.  Raja has essentially taken big band jazz, mixed it more modern, 'smooth' jazz and topped it with lots of strings to add a chamber-like quality that's not really jazz at all.  Would a jazz purist snob type like this song?  Probably not.  But Raja has never been in the business of pandering to purists.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 am

Absolutely.. true.. Last thing he has in his checklist is 'please the purists' yet he is the darling of any purist worth their salt today!!
And nice that you pointed out the "strings" and staccato - Jazz has nothing to do with them - just pure flow - but still how easily he was able to manifest the feeling of jazz despite.. Magician he is..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Jai and CK

This topic requires greater elaboration. One of my pet topics that I have postponed for more than 6 years. We need to travel all the way from 'Day by Day Enna Maatram' to feeble attempts before 'Kurangu Kaiyil Maalai' and now Kalvane. There are several places where he borders between Rock and Jazz (Thangakili by SPB and Pazhaiya Vilangu by Asha).

Unfortunately very busy at work and school. Will try and piece together some posts after a month.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:07 am

http://irbow.blogspot.in/

Ilamai oonjal adugiradhu ku jump agitarae......  niraiya padam munnadi irukara madhiri irukae.

Sattam en kaiyil, vaazha ninaithal vazhalam, vattthukul sadhuram,  Thiripura sundari, Mullum malarum, Kizhakae pogum Rayil.....

idharku apparam dhan Ilamai oonjaladugiradhu nu ninaikiren.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next