Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

+9
rajkumarc
jaiganesh
sagi
plum
V_S
Usha
Drunkenmunk
fring151
app_engine
13 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM - Page 3 Empty Re: Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:45 pm

நேற்றென் அரங்கிலே நிழல்களின் நாடகம்
இன்றென் எதிரிலே நிஜங்களின் தரிசனம்

Even when music is the focal point of many of us w.r.t films, at some point all of us will have to agree with the likes of P_R (that a movie is mainly story-telling). That way, one main responsibility of a poet engaged in a movie project is to get the main theme of the movie inside the songs, in as few words as possible.

Vaali is acclaimed for such ability as one can read from various accounts that got published at the time of his death. One of them became well-known to super singer program watchers thanks to Gopi. (That of Vaali summarizing silappadhikAram in just 4 words poetically : புகாரில் பிறந்தான், புகாரில் இறந்தான். Gopi, however, became gObi masAlA when he tried to explain it, sodhappifying as "கண்ணகியின் புகாரில்" Laughing)

நிழல்கள் is quite a poetic title! I wonder if that was the idea of the writer of the movie (Manivannan, that brilliant, well-read fellow) and not of the director. The conceptualization of all 5 characters (all of them depicted on the vinyl cover) got nicely centered around that title. If it was in the hands of someone like Adoor G, Aravindhan, MTV/Hariharan or even Balu M, we would have got a terrific arthouse product. OTOH, it fell in the hands of a commercial compromise fellow BR, very shabbily implemented on screen, got publicized improperly ("story of unemployed youths" nonsense) and made to compete with Kamal's VNS - only to be beaten out of shape Embarassed

Despite all that fantastic effort by technicians / team members that topped with a grand IR album / score, it became a dud in the eyes of both serious movie watchers and common public because of the lack of vision / skills of the team lead, BR, who had severe limitations. In addition, he hired actors of severe limitations who couldn't do justice to the poetic characters written.

Regardless, Vaali captured the essence of நிழல்கள் so beautifully in those two lines I quoted above!

Aren't நிழல்கள் translated "shadows"? In a sense, yes! However, there is much more to it as well-brought-out in the song. Looking from the PoV of each main character, it could be rendered as any of the following:

so near yet so far
mirage
expectations unfulfilled
needs not met
dreams unrealized
எட்டாத கனி
தொட முடியாத வானம்

Still, the objectives weren't that "out of reach"...they all appeared so close, real, obtainable, achievable and yet...yet...yet...in each case, it became elusive.

Like the shadows of the mountain, or the shadows of the cloud. One can see, hide under, go near - yet the real thing is not anywhere near. Not reachable! It's just optical illusion!

Like the photographs of the favourite star (remember, they use the term "நிழற்படம்"). All that one can get close to are those pictures - never can touch, feel the real person.

Like the images on screen that are essentially "நிழல்கள்" of pictures on a transparent film - when powerful light passes thru. One can see, feel close / get attached / moved / affected, why even innermost emotions stirred strong by them, but...but then, they are never real Embarassed

Now apply the situation of all the central characters of the movie to the two lines of Vaali in this song :

நேற்றென் அரங்கிலே நிழல்களின் நாடகம்

Each one feels some objective is reachable (job, love, career etc), even thinks it is very close - like a mirage, like a screen image, like a shadow. There's confusion as to will they really reach the real thing, however.

Then comes the closest moment(s) of elation :

இன்றென் எதிரிலே நிஜங்களின் தரிசனம்

Alas, in each case, it finally proves to be not a நிஜம் but only a நிழல் Sad

Well, while the movie didn't prove to be the poem it was originally intended to be, at the minimum, rAsA-Vaali team did complete justice in this awesome song!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM - Page 3 Empty Re: Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

Post  fring151 Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Awesome write up on Madai thirandhu, App! This is an iconic song in every sense. Thankfully I haven't seen the movie.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Wow! Superb post app ji the clap Lines to be etched not just in film music/poetry world, but in real world too.

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Wonderful writeup App on Nizhalgal. Never thought of the word Nizhalgal to depict all those different meanings that you mentioned. Coming to the movie, I still cannot forget that ominous background score played out when Rajasekar runs in slow mo on the beach conveying his unrealized dream or etta kani. Have to watch the movie yet another time atleast for the score.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:35 am

mikka nanRi fring151, V_Sji & rajkumarc for the kind words!

Yes, it's an iconic song that gives me a kick each time I listen to the SPB giggle when singing "rAjjiyam" in the end of 2nd saraNam - acknowledging happily the occasion of Vaali's coronation of IR Smile

Consider the effortless outpour of metaphors by Vaali (thAvum nadhiyalai, koovum sirukuyil)...

In every way, this song is a celebration for all admirers of rAsA!
(One good thing BR did was to show IR on screen for this song the clap )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 am

fring151 wrote:Thankfully I haven't seen the movie.

Keep it up Razz

Excellent write up appji!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 pm

nanRi DM Smile

BTW, please check the "myth-busting" thread, I've added two posts there Laughing

One more thing, I want "responsible" IRFs to run a twitter series for IR's non-tablA songs and have the tweets posted into a new thread, to adequately cover the nonsense tablA-rAjA myth...let me open the thread and also initiate a "relay-tweets" in twitter.com Smile

Hope to get the twitters contribute with 100's of tweet relays which I'll collect and deposit in the thread (I'm not sure if V_Sji can do some magic to automate the tweet-collection into that thread, like they do in the hub, which would be a nice-to-have) Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 pm

I am not big on lyrics and I could be wrong. I do not keep exact tabs on who wrote which song. Here are a few songs from the 80s/90s that do not appear to have VM, but have some real great lyrics:

1. Amudhe Tamizhe Azhagiya Mozhiye from Kovil Pura
2. Kaalai thendral from Uyandha Ullam
3. Poonkatrile Kaalai from Paatu Paadava
4. Ponnil Vaanam Poothathu Kolangale from Villu Paatukaran

I used to hear a number of Kannadasan songs played in my early school days in the assembly. When I grew up, I used to wonder, why not replace those with these IR songs that have equally great lyrics.

Are any of these by VM?

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 am

காதல் மகராணி கவிதை பூ விரித்தாள் - காதல் பரிசு. This is the song I like the most in this film. Before touching the lyrics part I totally love the way the charaNam starts step by step with short phrases (பூவை நீ பூமடல், பூவுடல் தேன்கடல்), then a long phrase (தேன்கடலில் தினமே குளித்தால் மகிழ்வேன்), then again followed by the short phrase keeps us guessing all the time, what would be next. Maestro finishes brilliantly with இன்பம் கோடி ஊஞ்சலாடும் உள்ளம் போகும் ஊர்வலம் when one expects he would finish jumping to higher octaves to catch the pallavi phrase 'காதல்' while he kind of descends with உள்ளம் போகும் ஊர்வலம் teasing us heavily.

For 'orchestra ignorants' where they claim brass is gone by early 80s, this film was in 1987 and this song is full of brass section. For 'tabla ignorants', this song does not use tabla at all. For 'non-VM detractors' this song is by Muthulingam and has excellent lyrics way way better than ஏய் உன்னை தானே by VM from the same film. This songs hits three mangoes in one stone (shot).

The best part of the lyrics is right in the starting lines itself. Lyricist brings in a beautiful phrase 'கவிதை பூ விரித்தாள்'. He further explains the impact of this kavithai in the second line; புது கவிதை பூ விரித்து கனவில் தேன் தெளித்தாள். He adds the word 'புது' nicely there.

I am totally in awe for these lines; What a thought!
கண்ணே உந்தன் கூந்தல் ஓரம் கண்கள் மூடி தூங்கும் நேரம் இன்பம் கோடி ஊஞ்சலாடும் உள்ளம் போகும் ஊர்வலம்

If this is not enough, here comes the cracker of a line; He says, he sees a sparkling beautiful painting through the glowing light of her face, which makes him believe that it is day not night. என்ன ஒரு அதீத கற்பனை!
உன் முக தீபத்தில் ஓவியம் மின்னுதே
உன் அழகால் இரவை பகலாய் அறிந்தேன்

The last line is again a great finisher! They want to enjoy everything in the world and also search/explore the celestial heaven in the earth itself. Super stuff!
மண்ணில் உள்ள இன்பம் யாவும்
இங்கே இன்று நாமும் காண்போம்
அன்பே அந்த தேவலோக சொர்க்கம் இங்கே தேடுவோம்

Finally, lyrics does not contain embarrassing words. Great love song, written with composure with no extravagant stuff.

காதல் மகராணி கவிதை பூ விரித்தாள்
புது கவிதை பூ விரித்து கனவில் தேன் தெளித்தாள்
முத்து போல் சிரித்தாள்
மொட்டு போல் மலர்ந்தாள்
விழியால் இவள் கணை தொடுத்தாள்...இந்த

பூவை நீ பூமடல்
பூவுடல் தேன்கடல்
தேன்கடலில் தினமே குளித்தால் மகிழ்வேன்
மான்விழி ஏங்குது
மைய்யலும் ஏறுது
பூங்கொடியை பனிபோல் மெதுவாய் தழுவு
கண்ணே உந்தன் கூந்தல் ஓரம்
கண்கள் மூடி தூங்கும் நேரம்
இன்பம் கோடி ஊஞ்சலாடும் உள்ளம் போகும் ஊர்வலம்

பஞ்சனை கூடத்தில்
பால் நிலா காயுதே
நான் எனையே மறந்தேன் கனவில் மிதந்தேன்
உன் முக தீபத்தில் ஓவியம் மின்னுதே
உன் அழகால் இரவை பகலாய் அறிந்தேன்
மண்ணில் உள்ள இன்பம் யாவும்
இங்கே இன்று நாமும் காண்போம்
அன்பே அந்த தேவலோக சொர்க்கம் இங்கே தேடுவோம்

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice write-up, V_Sji!

My fav song from the album Smile

Muthulingam definitely had some nice songs...

ravinat,
Those are nice songs!

Recently, somebody posted a youtube link on twitter which was an old news video when the film field felicitated MGR for his "Doctor pattam". It briefly captures IR singing on a stage (with Gangai Amaran conducting orchestra)...the song is nothing but "அமுதே தமிழே அழகிய மொழியே எனதுயிரே" Smile
(The video also shows a stage with MV singing a song with (Shankar) Ganesh conducting orchestra, praising MGR as indhiran-chandhiran-etc.)

BTW, here are the lyricists to the songs you've listed :

1. Amudhe Tamizhe Azhagiya Mozhiye from Kovil Pura - Pulamaippiththan
2. Kaalai thendral from Uyandha Ullam - Vairamuthu (that way, it does not belong to this thread Smile)
3. Poonkatrile Kaalai from Paatu Paadava - Vaali
4. Ponnil Vaanam Poothathu Kolangale from Villu Paatukaran - Gangai Amaran

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 am

Need to talk about another song from 'iLamai oonjalAdukiRadhu' ; this song is on repeat in car...

ஒரே நாள் உனை நான் நிலாவில் பார்த்தது Smile

Like I said in the 'kiNNaththil thEn vadiththu' post, the movie name itself is somewhat poetic, though I never peered into what it exactly meant.

Now that this song's pallavi too has the same phrase, it's time to decipher Laughing

The first line gets one set up in a nice, sweet, romantic environment. (ஒரே நாள் உனை நான் நிலாவில் பார்த்தது). There's similarity to another famous SPB song of prior years - "உன்னை நான் பார்த்தது வெண்ணிலா வேளையில்".

The next line is of intrigue : உலாவும் உன் இளமை தான் ஊஞ்சல் ஆடுது

Both the male and female sing this line and it's not difficult to conclude that the word "இளமை" includes all, mainly the physical beauty / features and then everything else that goes with youth. The reason I conclude physical is the main thing is because of the key word "உலாவும்", which means discernible to the onlookers. And something that makes strong impact / sensation / thuLLal inside their hearts!

That way, the 'ஊஞ்சல் ஆடுது' term has to describe the swings in the heart & mind of the person of opposite gender - in this case the associate / lover, when he/she happens to watch the other person's physical features Smile  விழியில் விழுந்து இதயம் ஆட்டல் Laughing

BTW, the rest of the song is sweettO sweet! Not a single irritable portion / shocking term etc. I guess that happened in many Vaali romance songs where he lets the listener enjoy it like the way one enjoys smoothie.

i.e. Unlike VM who pushes some negativity, shock thingy - either for the heck of it or by his nature or carefully done to thuruththify as his signature (vaRaNda sahArA reference in sahAnA sARal, kuruvi kattum koottukkuLLa gundu vaiththal, poovukkuL bhoogambam uNdAkkudhal and such are his favourite things).

That way, the song is something that can be relished like an ice-cream. Short saraNams but each of them can get one into really romantic mood!

Look at this first one :

மங்கைக்குள் காதலெனும் கங்கைக்குள் நான் மிதக்க
சங்கமங்களில் இடம் பெறும் சம்பவங்களில் இதம் இதம்
மனத்தால் நினைத்தால் இனிப்பதென்ன

I believe the mangai-gangai thing is quite old but doesn't irritate.

The second one is something where he comes close to some negativity but smoothens it by throwing in a word that belongs to both sides - "மயக்கம்" Smile

நெஞ்சத்தில் பேர் எழுதி கண்ணுக்குள் நான் படித்தேன்
கற்பனைகளில் சுகம் சுகம் கண்டதென்னவோ நிதம் நிதம்
மழை நீ, நிலம் நான், மயக்கமென்ன?

Here the male mildly tends to get into self-pity mode, by talking about "கற்பனைகளில் சுகம்" Laughing but the girl quickly corrects him, asking "மயக்கமென்ன" - which can be interpreted either way (one of self-pity or one of romance) and reassures him that she is willingly ready Wink

Vaali jumps back to total-enjoyment mode in the third saraNam again, using music as metaphor for intimacy ("பஞ்சணைப் பாடல்"):

பஞ்சணைப்பாடலுக்கு பல்லவி நீ இருக்க
கண்ணிரண்டிலும் ஒரே ஸ்வரம் கையிரண்டிலும் ஒரே லயம்
இரவும் பகலும் இசை முழங்க (what a lovely expression here!)

Someone might object it's not two but four eyes and hands but that is poetic freedom...also, the number two there can also mean "pairs". Or it could even mean that they have both merged into one person and effectively only two eyes / hands.

Well, overall, nice lines penned by Vaali - even though they aren't as awesome as IR's score for the song. The awesomeness of music made people like me not look at the lines much, as in the case of many other songs Embarassed

That wasn't the mistake of the lyricist - in fact, it was good in a way that it didn't hinder listeners getting absorbed into some top-class music!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:48 pm

App ji,
Delightful and pleasing write-up on one of the most romantic song in IFM. Lovely lyrics. I still remember when I straight-away liked the song (watched in DD) during my first listen. That was the first time I was heared guitar so clearly, not knowing that was guitar, some new sounds and new voices, and beautifully picturized too. Totally into the song. After 36 years, we are still discussing the song.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:58 pm

நீ ஒரு காதல் நூல் நிலையம்

What a poetic line (try spending a few seconds thinking about the physical impact of this Laughing )

Well, IMO, Vaali had another agenda too with this line, something for which he is known for - eulogizing stars Embarassed

Perhaps this was also supported by the director and the whole team, as Kamal was known as "kAdhal iLavarasan" those days, the true heir to Gemini Ganesan in that department Laughing

Actually, the whole saraNam is a riot :

கல்லூரியில் கல்லாததை கண் ஜாடையில் பயில
பல்லாயிரம் பாடங்களும் சொல்லாமலே புரிய
நீ ஒரு காதல் நூல் நிலையம்
பொன்மாலை தோறும் உன் லீலை பாடும்
என் பெண்மைக்கும் மென்மைக்கும் கண்ணா
நாளும் நீதான் சொந்தமோ

The song is quite an interesting one - I can't say if the girl is serious or sarcastic.

A couple of lines make one think that she is making fun of the whole loyalty business, if they are not from Pollachi / Palakkad / Kovai area :

நான் சத்தியம் காக்கும் உத்தமியாக்கும்
சொன்னதைக்கேட்கும் பத்தினியாக்கும்

For people from rest of TN / Kerala, this "ஆக்கும் / ஆக்கும்" business is possibly sarcasm, kiNdal. OTOH, that's just a harmless suffix in the Palakkadan Thamizh Wink(Recall Nagesh / Avinashi making fun of Kameswaran Kamal in MMKR).

I can't say what the girl really means in this song - as a statement or kiNdal BTW.

Also, if one looks at the situation of the song, the boy wants to have "matRadhu" with the girl (i.e. not satisfied with other intimacies that include hugs, kisses, dancing around etc). But the girl says "only after marriage" and continues, like, "will I refuse anything after that?" :

நீ கேட்டால் நான் மாட்டேன் என்றா சொல்வேன் கண்ணா
என் கண்ணும் இளம் நெஞ்சும் என்றும் உந்தன் பின்னால் 

In other words, she confirms that despite her modern appearance, she is still typical TN-girl.

Musically, while the prelude, interludes and accompaniments are awesome, on the melody side the most lovable lines for me - despite the otherwise screaming VJ -are,

அன்பே உனை ஆராதனை செய்கின்றவள் மனது
பொன் போன்றது பூப்போன்றது எண்ணங்களோ இனிது
&
கல்லூரியில் கல்லாததை கண் ஜாடையில் பயில
பல்லாயிரம் பாடங்களும் சொல்லாமலே புரிய

SweettO sweettu, that made me listen to this number a hundred times in the last couple of weeks.

BTW, there're a couple of naughty lines too WinkWink

தாமரைப்பூவில் தேன் சிதற
நீ கொஞ்சக்கொஞ்ச நான் கெஞ்சக்கெஞ்ச
நம் இன்பத்தின் எல்லைகள் கண்ணா
எங்கோ எங்கோ அம்மம்மா

Looking as a simple song may not put naughty thoughts in one's mind (because comparing lips to lotus petals and saliva to honey are as old as TFM) but when one considers the filmy situation and that the movie itself was adult themed, there is definite Vaalibak kuRumbu Laughing

However, the trick is to keep it unknown to school kids (like me & classmates when the song came out) but make sure those vayadhukku vandhavargaL get a kick out of it Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqReN806OUQ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:30 am

Uravugal thodarkathai - Amaren

Coming from the ARR-VM thread, the best part about the lyrics for this song is that they actually make sense - quite a rarity for certain other kavignars.

*How to make sense while grappling with existential thoughts of beginning, ending and continuity*

Study:

Contrast

ஒரு கதை என்றும் முடியலாம் 
முடிவிலும் ஒன்று தொடரலாம் 
இனி எல்லாம் சுகமே

with

உலக வாழ்கை நடனம்
நீ ஒப்புக் கொண்ட பயணம்
அது முடியும் போது தொடங்கும்
நீ தொடங்கும் போது முடியும்

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 pm

ராசாவே உன்ன நான் எண்ணித்தான் - தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா
பாடலாசிரியர் : வாலி

ராசாவே உன்ன நான் எண்ணித்தான்
பல ராத்திரி மூடல கண்ணத்தான்
ஏ...பூ வச்சேன் பொட்டும் வச்சேன் வாழத்தான்
நான் பூவோடு நாரப்போல சேரத்தான்
ராசாவே ராசாவே ராசாவே

The song is very intriguing. When Vaali sir used the words; எண்ணித்தான், கண்ணத்தான், வாழத்தான், சேரத்தான் he not only used for rhythmic sounding or for aesthetics. There is a big word hidden inside these words. That is ‘அத்தான்’ which the girl lover addresses indirectly her lover. I always used to hear only அத்தான் in those words. That’s the brilliance of Vaali.

I believe this is the first song where every line of charaNam is repeated twice;
ஆவாரம்பூவு அதுக்கொரு நோவு
உன்ன நெனச்சு உசிருருக்கு
ஆவாரம்பூவு அதுக்கொரு நோவு
உன்ன நெனச்சு உசிருருக்கு
ஆகாயம் பூமி ஆண்டவன் சாட்சி
ஆகாயம் பூமி ஆண்டவன் சாட்சி
பூத்தது வாடுது நீ வரத்தான்

If those lines are not repeated or any other words put for those repetitive lines, the soul is lost. Because there is a need to stress those lines again and again to reach the lover. What a finishing line in பூத்தது வாடுது நீ வரத்தான்! He wrote a big theme in just four words. I love the word ‘நோவு’, very rarely used in tamil film music.

மாக்கோலம் போட்டு மாவெளக்கேத்தி
நீ கெடைக்க நேந்திகிட்டேன்
மாக்கோலம் போட்டு மாவெளக்கேத்தி
நீ கெடைக்க நேந்திகிட்டேன்
பாத்தாளே ஆத்தா மனக்குறத் தீத்தா
கெடச்சது மாலையும் மஞ்சளும்தான்

Gem of a melody which underlines the separation, longing but how convincingly and positively Vaali finishes with
கெடச்சது மாலையும் மஞ்சளும்தான்

All the credit to Maestro for flowering such a heavenly melody, rooted in our tradition. The chorus is the biggest strength serving as the messengers of love from her to him. Even if we listen to this melody all day long, it will not be enough, as Maestro has weaved his soul in every note and made sure that it transforms to our own souls so that we get life every day through his music. ஜென்ம சாபல்யம்!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Two songs that I featured in Jai's "1000 songs to hear before you die" are apt candidates for this thread as well.

Let me pick the first one for this post - மஞ்சக்குளிச்சு அள்ளி முடிச்சு - a song written by Alangudi Somu for the BR movie 16V.

a_e wrote:
தமிழ்நாட்டின் நாட்டுப்புற வழக்குகள் சிலவற்றை ஆவணமாக்கிய இரண்டு பாடல்களை இந்தக்கூட்டத்தில் உட்படுத்துவது வரலாற்றுக்குகந்தது Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM - Page 3 Icon_smile

இசை வடிவிலும் புதுமையும் இனிமையும் படைத்த இந்த இரு பாடல்களையும் ஜானகியம்மா தான் பாடியிருக்காங்க, குழுவினருடன்.

ஒன்று நாட்டுப்புறத்தை அதே போலத்திரையில் காட்ட முனைந்த பாரதிராசாவின் முதல் படத்தில் வந்த "மஞ்சக்குளிச்சு அள்ளி முடிச்சு"!

சின்ன வயதில் எல்லா வகை உறவினர் வீடுகளிலும் சில நாட்கள் இருந்து பழகவேண்டுமென்பது அப்பாவின் சட்டம். அப்படிப்பட்ட சமயங்களில் அவர்களது ஊரில் 'சாமி கும்பிடு' நடக்கும்போது மொளப்பாரி, தீச்சட்டி, மாவிளக்கு, கடாவெட்டு, கொலவை வகையறாக்களில் இந்த மஞ்சத்தண்ணி ஊத்தும் வேடிக்கையும் இருக்கும். அதைப்பார்த்ததை நினைவுக்குக்கொண்டு வரும் பாடல். (ஹி..ஹி..நமக்கு மஞ்சத்தண்ணி ஊத்த முறைப்பெண்ணே இல்லாமப்போச்சுங்கோ)

அதிலும் அங்கங்கே நிறுத்தி, இசைப்போக்கை மாற்றி, உருமியைக்கொண்டு உறுமி என்று தன் பாட்டுக்கு ராசா விளையாடி இருப்பார். "அழகப்பா அழகப்பா ஆணழகன் நீயப்பா"வும் அதைத்தொடர்ந்து வரும் சில வரிகளும் சிலிர்ப்பு வகை!

Like I mentioned elsewhere, this song once again underlined the importance TN middle-class and below place on the "turmeric-to-women" connection. (I think 'ada dada mAmarakkiLiyE' has this 'ஒன்ன நினச்சே மஞ்சள் அறைச்சேன்' phrase).

Besides the notion that usage of turmeric in bath somehow makes girls lovable to men, there are many other strong beliefs in TN (even a recent "kutty-chutty" episode focused on this), such as :

-it serves as a herbal equivalent for "anne french" Laughing
-it is a kirumi nAsini (antiseptic)
-it "cools" the body
-it makes the skin "shiny" and also healthy
-men shouldn't use it, as their masculinity will diminish Laughing

(None of the above are my imagination as I grew up listening to these statements from multiple women from both rural and urban background) Smile

Well, this song starts with that cultural identity Wink

The flow of words / lines is simply superb!

BTW, if someone had been thinking that it was VM who introduced the term "எஞ்சோட்டுப் பொண்(ணு)டுகளா" in mudhal mariyAdhai, please throw that away.

This song had it years before - எஞ்சோட்டுப் பொண்ணுகளே, இளவாழக் கன்னுகளே, வாழக்குருத்துக்களே - both folk reference and metaphors rushing out of the pen!

Then there is another cultural reference that I lamented about in the quoted post Laughing: "மாமன் மச்சான் தேடிப்புடிங்கோ"!

During such village festival of manjaththaNNi pouring, the girls typically pour it on current  or prospective grooms ONLY (i.e. purushan, muRaippaiyan, mAman magan / aththai magan kinds). Such practice is brought in the song just like that - making it a historic one!

The other lines too have flowing sarcasm by village girls on the "shapeless" men (and thus unfit as potential mates):

-வாறார் அய்யா மன்னாரு வருஷம் ஒரு நாக்குளிப்பாரு (dirty fellow) வயசுப் பொண்ணக் கண்டாக்கா வளஞ்சு நெளிஞ்சு சிரிப்பாரு (what a flow)

-பொன்னையா, மாசம் என்னய்யா? (வயிறு பெருசு, அதனால் 'கர்ப்பம்'னு கேலி), கொஞ்சம் மஞ்சத்தேச்சுக் குளிச்சுப் பாரைய்யா (பொம்பள மாதிரி இருந்துக்குட்டு ஒனக்கென்ன ஆச?) நில்லய்யா நில்லய்யா சேல கட்டிக்கொள்ளய்யா (further insult)

-ஆளப்பாரு கரியாட்டம், ஆசையிலே இது நரியாட்டம் (I think this was towards Rajini, who became the top star few years after Laughing)

-சந்திரனா? அழகில் இந்திரனா? இந்தச்சப்பாணிக்கும் சபலம் பாருங்கோ! (total disregard to the hero, Kamal, what a flow of references there!)

It's not that there're no soft moments - such are beautifully captured as well (Well, Balu Mahendra got inspired from this superb scene and had a similar one in his classic moonRam piRai with same KH-SD):

மஞ்சக்குளிச்சு அள்ளி முடிச்சு
மெட்டி ஒலிக்க மெல்லச்சிரிச்சு
பொன்னில் குடமெடுத்து வண்ண நீரெடுத்து

என் ஆசைக்கண்ணனுக்கு எண்ணம் போல நீராட்டுவேன்!

What a riot of a song - the lyricist deserves applause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kl0SHs9hPM

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Fantastic posts App & V_S for two fantastic songs. Totally relived the song through your posts. What wonderful, imaginative and rustic lyrics that stick to the tune and to the overall happenings in the movie. 

In Manja Kulichu song, I always go broke when the song takes a soft turn as highlighted by App in these lines. SJ voice-la oru extra vaanjai irukkum, amazing feel and also the backing instruments portray that softness pitch perfectly.

மஞ்சக்குளிச்சு அள்ளி முடிச்சு 
மெட்டி ஒலிக்க மெல்லச்சிரிச்சு 
பொன்னில் குடமெடுத்து வண்ண நீரெடுத்து
என் ஆசைக்கண்ணனுக்கு எண்ணம் போல நீராட்டுவேன்!

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Wow! Superb post App ji in bringing out all the nuances and anecdotes.  the clap the clap You even highlighted some phrases which are not VM's first. Definitely this song is something we get only once in a lifetime. Moreover the lyricist is not even much known. Fitting words to the tune might seem easy, but on top of it bringing the whole festival feel, fun and sarcasm associated with it is not at all easy. Big applause to Alangudi Somu  applause 

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 pm

பூவே காதல் தீவே – This one phrase is enough to say about the lyricist. Just this phrase is enough to convey the love. He is referring her to a love island.  If there is one song where a male lover showers his love and praises her to the maximum extent, it should be this one.

மண் மீது சொர்கம் வந்து பெண்ணாக ஆனதே உல்லாச பூமி இங்கு உண்டானதே Another beautiful line to capture what his lover does to him and his world.

In most of the songs, we find some lines to be too good, some other lines just ordinary. Here it is not the case. I don’t want to leave any line in this song alone, as every line has the same energy level and line after line, we can feel how the lover is mad about her. Read and relive the treasure.

What do you say about these lines? கண்ணோடு கண்கள் ஏற்றும் கற்பூர தீபமே கை நீட்டும் போது பாயும் மின்சாரமே. Wonderful thought process here. He feels electric when she extends her hands to him. Another poetic line; உன் ராக மோகனம் என் காதல் வாகனம். When she sings mOhanam, he says that is his love vehicle. Not only that, the lyricist completes the charaNam with என் ஆவி நீயே தேவி. What else to say?

When lyricist describes the meeting of their eyes is like camphor, in second charaNam he goes even higher.  கள்ளூற பார்க்கும் பார்வை உள்ளூர பாயுமே. The way she looks at him (கள்ளூற – what a word!) draws deep current in him. Mighty! My eyes swell.

In immediate next line he enhances that ecstasy further with துள்ளாமல் துள்ளும் உள்ளம் சல்லாபமே. It is very difficult to explain this line correctly in English. Can anyone please explain? Very lazy translation would be ‘heart does beat faster, but beats faster’. He describes this feeling as desire(சல்லாபமே).

Then comes another intriguing line; வில்லோடு அம்பு ரெண்டு கொல்லாமல் கொல்லுதே பெண்பாவை கண்கள் என்று பொய் சொல்லுதே. He fears two arrows are not killing him, but still killing him (another wonderful coinage கொல்லாமல் கொல்லுதே similar to துள்ளாமல் துள்ளும்) and describes those two arrows are false alarms as they are nothing her lover’s eyes (பெண்பாவை கண்கள் என்று பொய் சொல்லுதே). The way he constructed this line is marvelous.

He ends the charaNam dramatically with தேனோடை ஓரமே நீராடும் நேரமே புல்லாங்குழல் தள்ளாடுமே பொன் மேனி கேளாய் ராணி. Every word is brilliantly placed and narrated the lover’s instability (புல்லாங்குழல் தள்ளாடுமே) when he see her taking shower.

When the song (tune, singing and arrangements, concept, mood) already captured everyone’s heart, the lyrics is again the best in the league. Guess the lyricist. Big big applause to him  applause 

ராஜ ராஜ சோழன் நான்
எனை ஆளும் காதல் தேசம் நீ தான்
பூவே காதல் தீவே
மண் மீது சொர்கம் வந்து பெண்ணாக ஆனதே
உல்லாச பூமி இங்கு உண்டானதே

கண்ணோடு கண்கள் ஏற்றும் கற்பூர தீபமே
கை நீட்டும் போது பாயும் மின்சாரமே
உல்லாச மேடை மேலே ஓரங்க நாடகம்
இன்பங்கள் பாடம் சொல்லும் என் தாயகம்
இங்கங்கு ஊஞ்சலாக நான் போகிறேன்
அங்கங்கு ஆசை தீயில் நான் வேகிறேன்
உன் ராக மோகனம் என் காதல் வாகனம்
செந்தாமரை செந்தேன் மழை என் ஆவி நீயே தேவி

கள்ளூற பார்க்கும் பார்வை உள்ளூர பாயுமே
துள்ளாமல் துள்ளும் உள்ளம் சல்லாபமே
வில்லோடு அம்பு ரெண்டு கொல்லாமல் கொல்லுதே
பெண்பாவை கண்கள் என்று பொய் சொல்லுதே
முந்தாணை மூடும் ராணி செல்வாக்கிலே
என் காதல் கண்கள் போகும் பல்லாக்கிலே
தேனோடை ஓரமே நீராடும் நேரமே
புல்லாங்குழல் தள்ளாடுமே பொன் மேனி கேளாய் ராணி

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:37 am

Easy dhoosi. Mu Metha Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Sweet pick, V_Sji!

The lines :

வில்லோடு அம்பு ரெண்டு கொல்லாமல் கொல்லுதே
பெண்பாவை கண்கள் என்று பொய் சொல்லுதே
are my favourites!

Of course, the uvamai of bow to eye-brows is quite ancient. Same goes with sharpness of the eyes with arrows. ("உன் விழியும் என் வாளும் சந்தித்தால்" is a famous MGR song).

The poetic twist is in that பொய் சொல்லுதே Smile

Mu.Mehta'vukku oru the clap

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 pm

MV memorial show to have the title "கோடைகாலக்காற்றே"

The event titled as 'Kodai Kaala Kaatre' the starting verse of one of the most famous song sung by the veteran, will feature prominent singers rendering 25 ever immortal numbers crooned by Malaysiva Vasudevan in the music composed by Ilaiyaraja.

கோடைகாலக்காற்றே was penned by GA Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Time now for the second song that I mentioned in Jai's 1000 songs thread as an AvaNam for TN culture...Let me quote from my post there first:

a_e wrote:
இன்னொன்று "சுத்தச்சம்பா பச்சநெல்லு குத்தத்தான் வேணும், முத்து முத்தாப்பச்சரிசி அள்ளத்தான் வேணும்" என்ற இளையராசாவின் முதல்படப்பாடல்!

நெல் குத்துதல் மட்டுமல்ல, நாட்டுப்புறத்தில் ஒரு குடும்பத்தின் விழா ஊருக்கே விழாவாக இருக்கும் அந்தப்பண்பாடு, கூட்டுறவு ("நம்ம வீட்டுக்கல்யாணம்") எல்லாம் அப்படியே நம்மை டைம் மெஷினில் பல பத்தாண்டுகளுக்கு முன் கொண்டு செல்லும் சிறப்புடைய பாடல்!

"பஞ்சு பஞ்சாக வரணும் பணியாரம்" எனும் வரிகளில் கிராமத்தெருவில் பாட்டி சுட்டு விற்கும் குழிப்பணியாரமும், "வெள்ளி நூலாக வரணும் இடியாப்பம்" வரிகள் அந்த "நூல்புட்டை"த்தேங்காய்ப்பாலில் முக்கித்தின்னும் சுவையையும் மனதில் கொண்டு வந்து, நாவில் நீர் சுரக்க வைக்கும் தன்மை வாய்ந்த பாடல்!

இந்தப்பாடலில் வரும் வயலின் இசையும் அதே போல் "சப்புக்கொட்டவைக்கும்"

"இது தானே கல்யாணம் என்று ஊரே பாராட்ட வேணும்"!

Panju Arunachalam is credited with all annakkiLi songs, though many of the lines were as such re-used from rAsA's collection of folk songs from his village Embarassed

That the re-use of "புள்ளி போட்ட ரவுக்கக்காரி, புளியம்பூ சேலக்காரி , அன்னக்கீளி ஒன்னத்தேடுதே" got referenced by rAsA himself in some interview / show adds credibility to such conclusion.

However, we need to give PA some credit for two things :

1. Providing rAsA a platform for bringing such gems hidden in TN villages to the limelight
2. Putting them together in filmy-lyric format, making necessary nakAsu vElaikaL to enable them to be easily accessible to the large TN public Smile

These two weren't mere small achievements, considering the typical level of resistance to change those days! So, PA sir deserves a big applause

Now, paying attention to those lines make one swim in a ton of folk references and also enjoy the strong-TN-folk quality of "uvamaigaL being thrown in just like that, by people who were illiterates"!

முத்து முத்தாப் பச்சரிசி அள்ளத்தான் வேணும்
முல்லை வெள்ளி போல அன்னம் பொங்கத்தான் வேணும்
பஞ்சு பஞ்சாக வரணும் பணியாரம்
வெள்ளி நூலாக வரணும் இடியாப்பம்
வள்ளி  மானாக வரணும் மணப்பொண்ணு
தங்க வேலாக வரணும்
மாப்பிள்ளை

Towards the end, the first two uvamai's are switched to other things :
முத்து முத்தா மல்லிகைப்பூ
முல்லைவெள்ளி  போலப் பொண்ணு

The flow in which these are thrown in is simply incredible! Power of TN folk songs!

Let me post the whole song here, for quick ref of the numerous local cultural references:

அடி ராக்காயி மூக்காயி குப்பாயி செவப்பி கஸ்தூரி மீனாச்சி தங்கப்பல் காரையா
தங்கமகளுக்கும் வாத்யார் ஐயாவுக்கும் தை மாசம் கல்யாணம்
நெல்லு குத்த வாங்கடியோ

சுத்தச்சம்பா பச்ச நெல்லு குத்தத்தான் வேணும்
முத்து முத்தாப்  பச்சரிசி அள்ளத்தான்  வேணும்
முல்லை வெள்ளி போல அன்னம் பொங்கத்தான்  வேணும்
நம்ம வீட்டுக் கல்யாணம் இது நம்ம வீட்டுக் கல்யாணம்

பத்தோடு ஒன்னு பலகாரம் பண்ண  சத்தாக மாவிடிங்க
கல்லோடு உமியும் சேராமப்பாத்துப் பக்குமா இடிங்க
பஞ்சு பஞ்சாக வரணும் பணியாரம்
வெள்ளி நூலாக வரணும் இடியாப்பம்
இதுதானே கல்யாண விருந்தென்று ஊரே பாராட்ட வேணும்

மாப்பிளை பொண்ணு மணவறை காணப் பொன்னாலே கோலமிடுங்க
மாவிலை தென்னை இளங்குருத்தாக வீடெங்கும் ஆட விடுங்க
வள்ளி மானாக வரணும் மணப்பொண்ணு
தங்க வேலாக வரணும் மாப்பிள்ளை
இதுதானே கல்யாணமென்று ஊரே பாராட்ட வேணும்

சுத்த மஞ்சள் பட்டுச்சேல கட்டத்தான் வேணும்
முத்து முத்தா மல்லிகப்பூ சூடத்தான்  வேணும்
முல்லைவெள்ளி  போலப்பொண்ணு மின்னத்தான் வேணும்
நம்ம வீட்டு கல்யாணம் இது நம்ம வீட்டு கல்யாணம்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmLjXbvt-cM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 pm

கலக்கல் write-up and analysis App ji.  cheers 

One thing I notice just now is they used the same uvamai to convey different things, but ultimately implying the same, as 'annam' also refers to a 'girl/women'. As you said, these lines were not even written, they sang spontaneously. noteworthy Gone are the days!
முல்லை வெள்ளி போல அன்னம் பொங்கத்தான் வேணும்
முல்லைவெள்ளி போலப்பொண்ணு மின்னத்தான் வேணும்

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 pm

I don't have to say anything about this film songs and music. I don't know if this film music happened before or after the VM split. All songs written by Vaali does say something.

பூபாளமே கூடாதென்னும் வானம் உண்டோ சொல் - Just this line seals it off, who Vaali sir is. I always wonder at this line as how he expresses the feeling in simple but in a very imaginative way. Once in a life time song, including the lyrics too. The focus is there in every line, no deviation. நண்பர்கள் போலே வாழ்வதற்கு மாலையும் மேளமும் தேவையென்ன. You don't have to be extremely poetic to express the beauty and bring out the theme. This is a perfect example. The line does not deviate from the sandham too while expressing in almost a colloquial way.

I don't want to leave any line behind as every line expresses the whole theme of the song. This is very rare. Normally, a song might start in a deviated fashion and slowly come to the theme at the end of anu-pallavi/charaNam. Sometimes the song theme might express the theme in one or two lines of the song, rest of the lines might wander aimlessly. Here it is not the case. It starts bang on and continues to express the same theme with a variety of analogies till it ends. Also for Vaali sir, it might have taken just few minutes to write. Nothing more to add. Lines are here to see.

மன்றம் வந்த தென்றலுக்கு மஞ்சம் வர நெஞ்சம் இல்லையோ
அன்பே என் அன்பே
தொட்டவுடன் சுட்டதென்ன கட்டழகு வட்ட நிலவோ
கண்ணே என் கண்ணே
பூபாளமே கூடாதென்னும் வானம் உண்டோ சொல்

தாமரை மேலே நீர்த்துளி போல்
தலைவனும் தலைவியும் வாழ்வதென்ன
நண்பர்கள் போலே வாழ்வதற்கு
மாலையும் மேளமும் தேவையென்ன
சொந்தங்களே இல்லாமல் பந்தா பாசம் கொள்ளாமல்
பூவே உன் வாழ்க்கைதான் என்ன சொல்

மேடையைப் போலே வாழ்கை அல்ல
நாடகம் ஆனதும் விலகிச் செல்ல
ஓடைப் போலே உறவும் அல்ல
பாதைகள் மாறியே பயணம் செல்ல
விண்ணோடு தான் உலாவும் வெள்ளி வண்ண நிலாவும்
என்னோடு நீ வந்தால் என்ன சொல்

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next