Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

+9
rajkumarc
jaiganesh
sagi
plum
V_S
Usha
Drunkenmunk
fring151
app_engine
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM - Page 5 Empty Re: Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

Post  SenthilVinu Mon May 26, 2014 8:38 am

App_engine, 

Wonderful posts, I really enjoyed it. And agree, in Thanni Karruthiruchi, he is foreshadowing the tragic nature of the situation.

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM - Page 5 Empty Re: Minimum 500, preferably 1000 rAsA songs with nice lyrics, not written by VM

Post  V_S Tue May 27, 2014 6:09 am

Excellent post App ji on தண்ணி கருத்திருச்சு the clap bringing out the niceties and subtleties and thought provoking comments adukkuththodar. I agree Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 pm

nanRi SenthilVinu & V_Sji for the kind appreciation!

Five songs from IO have appeared in this thread, with some special portion or other identified in them!

-kiNNaththil thEn vadiththu
-orE nAL unai nAn
-nee kEttAl nAn mAttEn enRA
-ennadi meenAtchi
-thaNNi karuththiruchu

Vaali did provide remarkable support to this rAsA album that became a patti-thotti-city hit in the 70's, embracing sophi people as well as pAmarar without boundaries...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 28, 2014 12:42 am

Looks like we've already featured two songs from the Fazil movie "பூவிழி வாசலிலே".

However, that lovely song from which that movie got its title, "பூவிழி வாசலில் யாரடி வந்தது கிளியே கிளியே" is not featured here yet...

From the movie deepam, written by Pulamaippiththan, this song is a sweetie - fitting nachch to the melody.

That "fitting to a T" apart, it also has lovely stuff packed in the words...definite material for this thread!

Let me just talk about that first line in this post : பூவிழி வாசல்

We've often heard the பூவிழி / மலர்விழி uvamai in Thamizh. There were a number of girls with these names too. It perhaps depicts either the beauty of eyes or the merciful way eyes are supposed to look at others. (e.g. 'புன்னகை மன்னன் பூவிழிக்கண்ணன்' was an earlier gen song from iru kOdugaL. That way, this reference is for men as well).

In ancient litt too there had been specific flowers that got compared with eyes. (I'm not going to bore with such references here Laughing )

However, this usage - of  பூவிழி வாசல் - was perhaps novel here, by the lyricist. (If there were prior references, please correct me - google does not find any). At the minimum, it was possibly novel to TFM. When I first heard the song, I thought it referred to a particular gate in a palace, with that name Embarassed

'பூவிழி வாசலில் யாரடி வந்தது' is such a sweet way to describe the arrival of a person in one's life, appearing sweetly and entering into the inner palace of heart, via the gate of eyes Smile

(A later day song explains the process as "விழியில் விழுந்து இதயம் நுழைந்து" Wink )

[To be continued...]

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:12 pm

That 'poovizhi vAsalil' song is clearly an invitation for more than platonic relationship - well, is that not the case with most cine songs anyways...The key differentiator is how that gets presented. Is it full of naLinam / nayam and in a way that norms won't be that much offended, kids won't find out etc Laughing

One line of anupallavi is not that naLinam - it is somewhat fleshy (even double meaning Embarassed ) , "அங்கு வரவா தனியே? மெல்லத்தொடவா கனியே?". However, the next line is smooth and I like it very much:

"இந்தப்புன்னகை என்பது சம்மதம் என்று அழைக்குது எனையே" - what a lovely way the acceptance to the invitation is presented here!

The lyricist then goes on to shower a ton of uvamaigaL, situation varNanaigaL etc to make the song extremely colorful and enjoyable (despite the fleshy theme)! Some enjoyable portions:

- அரும்பான காதல் பூவானது, அனுபவ சுகங்களைத்தேடுது (nice uvamai & connecting it to the bodily desires)

-மோகம் வரும் ஒரு வேளையில், நாணம் வரும் மறு வேளையில், இரண்டும் போராடுதே! துடிக்கும் இளமை தடுக்கும் பெண்மை! (what a flow! At the same time, depicting the typical kuzhappam of the lovers of that time period)

-கார்மேகமோ குழலானது, ஊர்கோலமாய் அது போகுது (cloud to hair is perhaps not new in Thamizh poems but the procession is quite spicy!) BTW, what is that மரகத இலை that does திரை போடல்?

-கலைந்தாடும் கூந்தல் பாய் போடுமோ (another application for koondhal  Laughing  Years later, VM wrote 'un koondhal en oonjal')

The poet then gets into naughty mode with that "கலை இது அறிமுகம் வேண்டுமா" Laughing

While these matRa things are liberally thrown about in this song, it still manages to maintain an appearance of innocence and also fits / flows sweetly with the melody without any shocks!

Pulamaippiththan should get a the clap

(பூவிழி வாசலில் song commentary முற்றும்)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Every line talks about our meaningless body and life, the philosophy of life, and how to make it meaningful. Only one can conceive a situation like this, only one can write like this and only one can compose and sing like this. Kamal, Vaali sir and Maestro. I don't want to go through each line, as I would break-down again. Listen/Watch/feel the song with lyrics. Happy tears to all of you!

அப்பனென்றும் அம்மை என்றும் ஆணும் பெண்ணும்
கொட்டி வெச்ச குப்பையாக வந்த உடம்பு
ஞானப் பெண்ணே குப்பையாக வந்த உடம்பு
அது புத்தனென்றும் சித்தனென்றும் பித்தனென்றும்
ஆவதென்ன சக்கையாக போகும் கரும்பு
ஞானப் பெண்ணே சக்கையாக போகும் கரும்பு
பந்த பாச சேற்றில் வந்து விழுந்த தேகம்
எந்த கங்கை ஆற்றில் இந்த அழுக்கு போகும்

அப்பனென்றும்...

குத்தம் குறை ஏதுமற்ற ஜீவன் இங்கு யாரடா
சுத்தம் என்று யாரும் இல்லை பாவ மூட்டை தானடா
சிவனைக் கூட பித்தன் என்று பேசுகின்ற ஊரடா
புத்தி கெட்ட மூடர்கென்றும் ஞானப்பார்வை ஏதடா
ஆதி முதல் அந்தம் உன் சொந்தம் உன் பந்தம் நீ உள்ளவரைதான்
வந்து வந்து கூடும் கூத்தாடும் விட்டோடும் ஓர் சந்தைக் கடைதான்
இதில் நீ என்ன நான் என்ன
வந்தாலும் சென்றாலும் என்னாச்சு விட்டு தள்ளு

அப்பனென்றும்...

கையும் காலும் மூக்கும் கொண்டு ஆட வந்த காரணம்
ஆடித்தானே சேர்த்து வச்ச பாவம் யாவும் தீரணும்
ஆட ஆட பாவம் சேரும் ஆடி ஓடும் மானிடா
ஆட நானும் மாட்டேன் என்று ஓடிப்போனதாரடா
தட்டுக்கெட்டு ஓடும் தள்ளாடும் எந்நாளும் உன் உள்ளக்குரங்கு
கட்டுப்படக் கூடும் எப்போதும் நீ போடு மெய்ஞான விலங்கு
மனம் ஆடாமல் வாடாமல்
மெய்ஞானம் உண்டாக அங்ஞானம் அற்று விழும்

அப்பனென்றும்...

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:23 pm

There's another evergreen song from the same movie deepam, by the same poet Pulamaippiththan.

அந்தப்புரத்தில் ஒரு மகராணி
அவள் அன்புக்கரத்தில் ஒரு மகராஜன்

A sweet song that sits on the melody beautifully. I wonder if rAsA got this one as pre-written lyrics.

Look at this blogpost by someone who claims to run a Thamizh sangam with KD's name:
http://www.vallamai.com/?p=44069

கவிஞர் காவிரிமைந்தன் wrote:
தீண்டும் இன்பத்தைப் போல் தினம் கேட்கத் தூண்டிநின்ற பாடல்!  டி.எம்.சௌந்தரராஜன்  எஸ். ஜானகி பாடியிருக்க இராகதேவன் இளையராஜா இசையை வார்த்தெடுக்க.. புலவர் புலமைப்பித்தன் வரிகள் மின்னுகின்றன!..

வழக்கமான காதல் பாடல் என்றாலும் கதகதப்பில் வார்த்தைகளைவிட கவித்துவங்கள் விளையாடிக்கிடக்க.. கலிங்கத்துப்பரணிகண்ட காட்சிக்கு வார்த்தைகள் வழங்கியதுபோல.. இன்பத்தின் மத்தளங்கள் இனிதாய் முழங்க.. மூன்றாம் பால் மோகனத்தை இப்பாடல் முழுவதும் காணலாம்!

கவிஞர் ஒருவர் திரைப்பட ஊடகத்தில் கிடைக்கும் வாய்ப்பினை திறமை இருக்கும்போது எப்படியெல்லாம் கையாளலாம் என்பதற்கு புலவர் இலக்கணம் வகுக்கிறார்.

ஏதோ சரித்திர காலத்திற்கு தள்ளப்பட்டவர்களாய் நாம் இந்தப் பாடலைக் கேட்கும்போதெல்லாம் கடத்தப்படுகிறோம்!

காதலன் தோளில் காதலி சாய்ந்து காதலைப் பாடிடச் சொன்னால்.. அந்தப்புரமும் தெரியும் அதன் அந்தரங்கமும் புரியும் என்கிறாரோ புலமைப்பித்தன்!

Lot of nice phrases in the song...a sample:

பாவை, இதழ் இரண்டும் கோவை, அமுத ரசம் தேவை, என அழைக்கும் பார்வையோ?

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c8c1LAZbY

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:51 pm

App_engine,

Really enjoyed poovizhi vasalil yaradi posts. It is doubly enjoyable to see your enjoyment and "cute" write-up. For me, this song has so many emotions rolled into one. It also one of earliest songs that I used to hum. For some reason I used to think this was Malayalam song and used to sing it to my mallu friend!!? (I rarely paid attention to lyrics). Then, forgot about the whole song and was reintroduced in 80's and it stops me on my tracks ever since. During second introduction, I thought it was MSV song, especially with MSV-like opening music (I could hardly differentiate MD's during that time). The song and interludes are typical glorious raja song;melody harmonized fantastically with strings but the melody is unrestricted by orchestration. 

You are right App, so full of naLinam/nayam filled with love. If you remove the nalinam in the lyrics, we get today's explicit rap Smile I sometimes doubt if any other language has explored sexuality and sensuality like TN lyricists (Although I don't know any other language). Probably, it would be an interesting study!

>>BTW, what is that மரகத இலை that does திரை போடல்?

I am guessing, Pulamaipithan is taking us to tribal women like imagery with women covered up in leaves? Precious leaves covering precious parts?  I don't have a good lyrical sense and misread/misinterpret lyrics a lot!  Very Happy

Last edited by SenthilVinu on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:10 pm

app_engine wrote:There's another evergreen song from the same movie deepam, by the same poet Pulamaippiththan.

அந்தப்புரத்தில் ஒரு மகராணி
அவள் அன்புக்கரத்தில் ஒரு மகராஜன்

A sweet song that sits on the melody beautifully. I wonder if rAsA got this one as pre-written lyrics.

A majestic song!

Raja nicely sets up for a repetition of TMS pallavi by Janaki after 0:49 but surprisingly descends into another zone around 0:52 before coming back to the main pallavi. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c8c1LAZbY&feature=player_detailpage#t=49

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  vaticanscientist Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Pandi Naatu Thangam - Un Manasula Pattu
Lyrics: Gangai Amaran

Lyrics were probably written keeping Illayaraja in mind.

Nenjai thottu aalum RAASAIYYA (Illayaraja's Old Name)
Manasu Muzhudhum Isai thaan unakku - (Absolutely)

Lyrics continues with words about music throughout. IMO, It reached its pinnacle at 
Nillama Pattu Solli Kaalam Ellam Aalanum

Full Lyrics in Tamil (below):

உன் மனசுல பாட்டுத் தான் இருக்குது 
என் மனசதை கேட்டுத் தான் தவிக்குது 

அதில் என்னை வச்சுப் பாட மாட்டியா 
நெஞ்சத் தொட்டு ஆளும் ராசையா 
மனசு முழுதும் இசை தான் உனக்கு 

அதிலே எனக்கோர் இடம் நீ ஒதுக்கு 

பாட்டாலே புள்ளி வச்சேன் 
பார்வையிலே கிள்ளி வச்சே 
பூத்திருந்த என்னை சேர்ந்த தேவனே 
போடாத சங்கதிதான் போட ஓரு மேடை உண்டு 
நாளு வச்சு சேர வாங்க ராசனே 
நெஞ்சோடு கூடு கட்டி நீங்க வந்து வாழனும் 
நில்லாம பாட்டு சொல்லி காலம் எல்லாம் ஆளனும் 
சொக்க தங்கம் உங்களை தான் சொக்கி சொக்கி பார்த்து 
தத்தளிச்சேன் நித்தம் நித்தம் நானா பூத்து 

நீ பாடும் ராகம் வந்து நிம்மதியை தந்ததையா 
நேற்று வரை நெஞ்சில் ஆசை தோணலை 
பூவான பாட்டு இந்த பொண்ணத் தொட்டுப் போனதையா 
போன வழி பார்த்த கண்ணு மூடலை 
உன்னோட வாழ்ந்திருந்தா ஊருக்கெல்லாம் ராணி நான் .. 
என்னோட ஆசை எல்லாம் ஏத்துக்கணும் நீங்க தான் .. 
உங்களத் தான் எண்ணி எண்ணி என்னுசுரு வாழும் 
சொல்லுமையா நல்லச்சொல்லு சொன்னா போதும் 

ஏங் மனசுல பாட்டுத் தான் இருக்குது 
உன் மனசதை கேட்டுத் தான் தவிக்குது

நான் உன்னை மட்டும் பாடும் குயிலுதான்
நீ என்னை எண்ணி வாழும் மயிலதா
மனசு முழுதும் இசைதான் எனக்கு
இசையோடொனக்கு இடமும் இருக்கு
என் மனசுல பாட்டு தான் இருக்குது
உன் மனசதை கேட்டுத்தான் தவிக்குது

vaticanscientist

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, vaticanscientist!

Nice pick!

This song was also covered in the GA thread where I've highlighted some 100 songs written by him under rAsA music Smile

un manasula was #97 :
https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t80p225-gangai-amaran-thread-for-song100#8110

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Welcome vaticanscientist to the forum! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:37 pm

nanRi SenthilVinu sir, for the appreciation!

Yes, your explanation of 'மரகத இலைத்திரை' is the only possibility Embarassed

மரகதம் (emerald) is an obvious reference for the green color Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 pm

BTW, 51 songs have so far been posted about in detail (from TFM).

Even from a minimalistic PoV, only 10% of the work done so far. (& for my expectations, it is 5% only).

Come on people, please get busy!

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Kallalae senju vecha saami illa nee  - Chithirayil Nila Choru  - Vaali

enna oru paatu....... Lovely Lyrics. Affectionate Compositiion........  Hari Charan.. romba nalla padi irupar....

kallale senjuvecha saami illa nee
karpoora deepam kaatum theivam illa nee

nee seikooli sethaaram illatha
en thangame vairame sellame

Beautiful.......

enakaaga mannil vantha
enakaaga intha mannil vantha

kannukutti nee thulli odinaa
kannupattudum sonna solla kelamma
theru vanthu ninnakooda nee azhaghu
minnalvanthu ponakooda neethan azhaghu
ammanu unna naanum koopiduven
ammava appoappo nenachukkuven
ammanu unna naanum koopiduven
enga ammava appoappo nenachukkuven
nee seikooli sethaaram illatha

mannil vizhuntha mazhaithuli nee
en kannil irukkum karuvizhi nee
pottu vecha chithirame nee enakku poathum
vatta nila neethan endru unnazhaga paadum
yaana mela nee amarnthu valam varanum
naa epparppa ketaalum nee varam tharanum
yaana mela nee amarnthu valam varanum
naa epparppa ketaalum nee varam tharanum
nee veunum nizhalaaga vaazhanum
thangame vairame sellame

enakaaga mannil vantha
enakaaga intha mannil vantha
Copied From "www.magicalsongs.net" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMjg1Kwa2E

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:18 pm

IR's Lady Version....  oru soft corner irukum.... epodhum............

indha paatum apadiaye.. Priya Dharshini.. Nice Bhavam..... like it.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfVOCoigSs

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Nilavu paatu Nilavu paatu   - Kannukul Nilavu  -  Hariharan....

Beautiful compositiion. Beautiful Lyrics....... Sandham.....  The most perfect .........

NIce one from Palani Bharathi........

kanavugaL varuvadhu vizhigaLin viruppamaa 
kavidhaigaL varuvadhu kavingnyanin viruppamaa 
kuyilgaLin iruppidam isaiyaal aRiyalaam 
malarndhidum malargaLai vaasanai sollalaam 
kuyilgaL malargaL adhisayam kanavugaL kavidhaigaL 
ragasiyam 

Movie Name

:: Kannukkul Nilavu

Music Director

:: Ilayaraja

Lyricist

:: pazhani bharathi

Singer /s

:: Hariharan

nilavup paattu nilavup paattu...oar naaL kaettaen 
moongil kaattil moongil kaattil...naanum padiththaen 

nilavup paattu nilavup paattu oar naaL kaettaen 
moongil kaattil moongil kaattil naanum padiththaen 
andha isaiyin ragasiyam iru uyirukkup purindhadhu 
iru uyirukkup purindhadhu ingu yaarukkuth therindhadhu 
isaiyil kalandhu midhakkum thenRalae isaiyin magaLaip 
paarththadhillaiyoa 

kanavugaL varuvadhu vizhigaLin viruppamaa 
kavidhaigaL varuvadhu kavingnyanin viruppamaa 
kuyilgaLin iruppidam isaiyaal aRiyalaam 
malarndhidum malargaLai vaasanai sollalaam 
kuyilgaL malargaL adhisayam kanavugaL kavidhaigaL 
ragasiyam 

nilavonRu nadandhadhu suvadugaL manadhilae 
mazhai vandhu nanaiththadhu isaiyannai seviyilae 
kolusugaL keerththanai yaarandha dhaevadhai 
vizhigaLil virigiRaaL yaarandhath thaamarai 
idhu oru pudhuvidhap paravasam mayakkudhu isaiyennum 
adhisayam 

andha isaiyin ragasiyam iru uyirukkup purindhadhu 
iru uyirukkup purindhadhu ingu yaarukkuth therindhadhu 
isaiyil kalandhu midhakkum thenRalae isaiyin magaLaip 
paarththadhillaiyoa 

Latest Tamil Song Lyrics Reviews

Miga miga azhagana paatu...  from IR..........  alltime favourite number idhu............ apadi oru Soft....... apadi oru Inimai... adharku yetrar pola kavidhai varigal........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yjRd8av_cg

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 pm

indha padathu paatu ellam Palani bharathi pola iruku.. Tilte song. parthal.. avar peyar matum dhan iruku........

ella paatum romba nalla iruku.. Especially  for Sandham........  patoda composiition ku match agira madhirii.. romba azhagana varigal..  with the Sandham.........   Really Great work from Palani Bharathi....

Iravu pagalai theda

vaazhkkai ennum payaNam ingae dhooram dhooram 
engae maaRum engae saerum sollum kaalam 

naadoadi maegam oadoadi ingae yaroadu uRavaadumoa 

annaiyillaa piLLai kaNdaal piLLaiyillaa annai kaNdaal 
anbaeyillaa ulagam kaNdaal achchachchoa...       idhu Humanism..........

iravu pagalaith thaeda idhayam onRaith thaeda 
alaigaL amaidhi thaeda vizhigaL vazhiyai thaeda 
sutRuginRadhae thenRal dhinam dhinam 
endhan manadhaik konjam sumakkumoa 
minnuginRadhae viNNil natchaththiram 
endhan kanavaich cholli azhaikkumoa 
achchachchoa...achchachchoa... 

vaazhkkai ennum payaNam ingae dhooram dhooram 
engae maaRum engae saerum sollum kaalam 
thenRal vandhu pookkaL aadum adhuvoru kaalam 
maNNil sindhi pookkaL vaadum ilaiyudhir kaalam 
koalangaL aadum vaasalgaL vaendum thaniyaaga 
azhagillaiyae 
kadalaich chaeraa nadhiyaik kaNdaal tharaiyil aadum 
meenaik kaNdaal 
otRaik kuyilin soagam kaNdaal achchachchoa... 

veesum kaatRu oayvaith thaedi engae poagum 
pookkaL paesa vaayirundhaal enna paesum 
maalai naeram paRavaik koottam koottaith thaedum 
paRavai poanaal paRavaik koodu yaaraith thaedum 
naadoadi maegam oadoadi ingae yaroadu uRavaadumoa 
annaiyillaa piLLai kaNdaal piLLaiyillaa annai kaNdaal 
anbaeyillaa ulagam kaNdaal achchachchoa... 

sutRuginRadhae thenRal dhinam dhinam 
endhan manadhaik konjam sumakkumoa 
minnuginRadhae viNNil natchaththiram 
endhan kanavaich cholli azhaikkumoa 
achchachchoa...achchachchoa... 

Latest Tamil Song Lyrics Reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-zLC0nbQyc

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 pm

Looks like we don't have any song by kavingar so far in this thread Embarassed

Of course, we have separate thread for him in the IR section (and also one being run by DM in the TF section for non-IR songs)...however, we got to get some of his numbers for IR appreciated here as well Smile

Let me pick a special number for muLLum malarum - செந்தாழம்பூவில் Smile

WOW!

We often talk about how listening to rAsA song transports one to that place, lets one smell the odor, feel the breeze and drench in the rains etc.

Or covers one with other emotions.

This song is no different, if one listens to it, from a IR-music PoV.

OTOH, this one is so different from a lyrical PoV. In the way that this does a VERY SIMILAR JOB WHEN ONE SIMPLY READS THE POEM!

I don't want to break it up, let me post in whole and please read, in a quiet setting with no disturbance :

செந்தாழம்பூவில் வந்தாடும் தென்றல் என் மீது மோதுதம்மா
வாசம் மேடை போடுதம்மா பெண் போல ஜாடை பேசுதம்மா
அம்மம்மா ஆனந்தம்

வளைந்து நெளிந்து போகும் பாதை மங்கை மோகக்கூந்தலோ?
மயங்கி மயங்கிச் செல்லும் வெள்ளம் பருவ நாண ஊடலோ?
ஆலங்கொடி மேலே கிளி தேன் கனிகளைத் தேடுது
ஆசைக்குயில் பாஷையின்றி ராகம் என்ன பாடுது
காடுகள் மலைகள் தேவன் கலைகள்

அழகு மிகுந்த ராஜகுமாரி மேகமாகப் போகிறாள்
ஜரிகை நெளியும் சேலை கொண்டு மலையை மூடப்பார்க்கிறாள்
பள்ளம் சிலர் உள்ளம் என ஏன் படைத்தான் ஆண்டவன்
பட்டம் தரத் தேடுகின்றேன் எங்கே அந்த நாயகன்
மலையின் காட்சி இறைவன் ஆட்சி

இளைய பருவம் மலையில் வந்தால் ஏகம் சொர்க்க சிந்தனை
இதழை வருடும் பனியின் காற்று கம்பன் செய்த வர்ணனை
ஓடை தரும் வாடைக்காற்று வானுலகைக் காட்டுது
உள்ளே வரும் வெள்ளம் ஒன்று எங்கோ என்னைக்கூட்டுது
மறவேன் மறவேன் அற்புதக் காட்சி

Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for the kavidhai), even if I don't want to add the melody / music, my mind automatically fills them up.

EmbarassedEmbarassed

Those are additional bonus but IMHO strictly not needed for the transport function, in this case - with lovely uvamaigaL, varNanaigaL etc !

I'm pretty sure if I read the above lines EVEN with absolutely no idea about the original melody / orch, I'll still fell the birds chirping, breeze caressing my face and the mind picturing a panaromic view of the ooty mountains and giving me the feel of driving on the hair-pin-bends-filled-roads!

Clearly a lyrical winner!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:33 pm

While Kannadasan had written >100 songs for IR (our excel sheet lists some 124 numbers which is perhaps closest to the actual count), one song that stands out as extraordinary to me was the most popular one at the time of arrival, that too with no biggie hero tag or any other backing otherwise! That is the evergreen "இளமையெனும் பூங்காற்று".

The song definitely calls for inclusion in this thread - especially for the clever way the words conceal the strong adult theme inside Embarassed

In addition, there are a couple of references that later day kavingars (especially VM) had from this song.

We've seen Plum make fun of VM for the dubbing lyrics that went as "இதமான லாலி, பதமான லாலி" Laughing

Well the reference from this song is pretty easy to recognize. The second stanza of our song goes this way:

அங்கம் முழுதும் பொங்கும் இளமை இதம் பதமாய்த் தோன்ற அள்ளி அணைத்த கைகள் Smile

The other reference is for comparing something with the grandeur of gangA river. One of my all-time-IR-fav songs featuring SPB-SJ is kaNNA unaiththEdukiREn vA (unakkAgavE vAzhgiREn, penned by VM).

It has a line that goes like "கங்கை நீர் காயக்கூடும் கண்ணீர் அது காயுமா". Well, here is a reference point from our song, in the first saraNam, that compares the enormity of passion the boy has for the girl aganist any resistance she can have with gangA v/s a dam with clay.

கங்கை நதிக்கு மண்ணில் அணையா? Smile

Then we have this comparison of kAdhaL / uRavu with song / rAgam / music that 100's of later day TF songs freely make use of. That thought is smoothly found in the pallavi:

இளமையெனும் பூங்காற்று பாடியது ஓர் பாட்டு
ஒரு பொழுதில் ஓர் ஆசை சுகம் சுகம் அதிலே ஒரே சுகம்
ஒரே வீணை ஒரே ராகம்

Then there's this terrific story telling in the song, while just like that throwing in uvamaikaL.

Samples:
-தன்னை மறந்து மண்ணில் விழுந்த இளமை மலரின் மீது கண்ணை இழந்த வண்டு
-தேக சுகத்தில் கவனம் காட்டு வழியில் பயணம்
-கேட்க நினைத்தாள் மறந்தாள் கேள்வி எழுமுன் விழுந்தாள்
-மங்கை இனமும் மன்னன் இனமும் குலம் குணமும் என்ன தேகம் துடித்தால் கண்ணேது
-கூந்தல் கலைந்த கனியே கொஞ்சி சுவைத்த கிளியே இந்த நிலைதான் என்ன விதியோ

One word that IMHO sums up all kinds of appreciation that can be showered on this song is "FINESSE" Smile

the clap

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 am

It's quite some time since I visited this thread...

This morning's song-in-loop has some interesting phrases that evoke "ada" feel.

ஆகாய கங்கை பூந்தேன் மலர் சூடி of the Rajini-Sridevi-R C Sakthi movie 'dharma yudhdham'.

This song got penned by M G Vallaban who is not that well-known today but definitely familiar to those TFM enthusiasts of 70's. He even tried directing / producing a movie (with IR's music of course) and ended up heavily losing I think.

In any case, the pallavi by the male voice is quite smooth - invoking the traditional 'gangA mA' comparison to the lover, adding some more flowery stuff...(literally, மலர் சூடி etc).

The intrigue comes up when the female sings "சீதா புகழ் ராமன்" Smile

As in the magazines / posters where they advertise "XXX புகழ் YYYY", the song coolly invokes Ram to be one with "சீதா புகழ்" as if Seetha were a hit movie Laughing

If one looks into a it a bit, that throws away a number of possibilities, of how Ram became famous because of Sita. (I know it's dangerous territory but the kavingar succeeds in invoking some imagination. Even prompting an ignorant one to search thru the epic and / or mythology to find out whats and hows).

The song otherwise too is flooded with sweet uvamai / uruvagam stuff and can at times ignite the imagination of youththu :

-உன் தோளிலே படரும் கொடி நானே
-பருவப் பூ தானே
-பூ மஞ்சம் உன் மேனி
-பூவை நெஞ்சில்
-பருகக் கனிச்சாறு
-தளிராடும் என் மேனி

The poet must be a nature lover Wink

(BTW, please don't miss my post on the SJ thread on "தேவை யாவும் தீர்ந்த பின்னும்") Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:19 pm

One Venkat from Dhool/TFM Page on Thendral Vandhu Theendum Bodhu:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sklbtq
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:13 am

Amma....... IR songs....... not comparable.......  ammavai value pannum characters....... IR's composition... Valubale one.........
adhu... vaazhkaiyil.. unmaiyagum podhu......... solla varthai illai........... ponnai pola..... uyarndha ondru........... 

Lyric.. kandipaga. IR in idaiyooru irundhu irukum dhan.. Perfection il... theriyum..........

Indru en amma irandhu  mudhal varudam..... ammavin asaigal.. ennai patri... ehdaiyum niraivetradha oru verumai dhan eppodhum..... anal..

amma irandha indha oru varudathil...  ovovoru sandharpangalilum... amma ennai epadi iruka vendum endru ninaithu irupar endru ninaithu
kondu.. en iyalbai maatri kondu irukiren...

ethanaiyo nalladhu..  manadhil nalla ninaivugaludan...  (adhu romba mukkiyam en ammavirku......)..  ammavin asaigal... en gunathin mel........
sirudhavadhu seidhu irukiren.... seiven.. adharku sandharpam kodutha iraivanuku mikka nanri..........

Amma nee sumandha pillai.... indha padam .. indha paatu... manadhil... adhigamaga padhiyavillai......... anal.... indru...  ammavai ninaithu
ammavin sila asaigalai niraivetri irundha  indha kaalathil..  manadhai migavumae padhithadhu..

enna oru compositiion.. enna oru kavidhai.. athanaiyum unmaiyae......

(en amma .. enaku rombavae Special... appa irandhu.. engalai...  valartha patta kashtam... adhilum.. thannai vida kashta pattavargaluku.... irupadhil..
pagirndhu kodutha... Thannalam illadha oru jenmam........sothai serkavillai... Punniyathai...deposit seidhu  irukaral.......)

Meendum meendum mannil vandhu thondra vendumae
vaazhga vaazhga managanae(Lae) endru vaazhtha vendumae

ENgae engae..........

Annai Sonna Vaarthai Indru
Ninaivil Vanthathu
Anbu Endra Solley Thaayin
Vadivil Vanthathu
Yengey Yengey??
Vaazhavaitha Theivam Indru
Vaanam Sendratheno
Ulagilae Un Magan
Neer Ilaatho Meeno
Vaanam Sendratheno
Ulagilae Un Magan
Neer Ilaatho Meeno
Meendum Intha Mannil Vanthu
Thondra Vendumey
Vaazhga Vaazhga Magane Endru
Vaazhtha Venumey
Yengey Yengey??

unmai.. ellam unmai......... en kanneerai thavira veru ondrum koduka mudiyadhu en ammavirku..... 

Vaaliyin kavidhai.. VAIRAM.......

Ammaa..
Amma Nee Sumantha Pillai
Sirakodintha Killai
En Kangalum En Nenjamum
Kondaadum Theivam Thaaye
Annai Oor Aalayam
Annai Oor Aalayam

Amma Nee Sumantha Pillai
Sirakodintha Killai

Mannil Enna Thondra Koodum
Mazhai Ilaatha Pothu
Manithano Mirugamo Thaai
Ilaamal Yethu
Mannil Enna Thondra Koodum
Mazhai Ilaatha Pothu
Manithano Mirugamo Thaai
Ilaamal Yethu
Annai Sonna Vaarthai Indru
Ninaivil Vanthathu
Anbu Endra Solley Thaayin
Vadivil Vanthathu
Yengey Yengey??

Amma Nee Sumantha Pillai
Sirakodintha Killai

Vaanam Sendratheno
Ulagilae Un Magan
Neer Ilaatho Meeno
Vaanam Sendratheno
Ulagilae Un Magan
Neer Ilaatho Meeno
Meendum Intha Mannil Vanthu
Thondra Vendumey
Vaazhga Vaazhga Magane Endru
Vaazhtha Venumey
Yengey Yengey??

Amma Nee Šumantha Pillai
Širakødintha Killai
Èn Kangalum Èn Nenjamum
Køndaadum Theivam Thaaye
Annai Oør Aalayam
Annai Oør Aalayam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKx-OCfQvVc

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 am

DM shared a nice IR video in the pre-IR SPB thread, when discussing about the famous தேன் சிந்துதே வானம் song.

rAsA explains in that video about the effortless manner in which pAdal varigaL come out of Kavingar Kannadasan. He talks about the song that kavingar dictated for the movie thiyAgam.

That song is " வசந்தகாலக் கோலங்கள்" , an apt candidate for this thread Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bovD8_wWts

The song had always been my all-time-fav - for SJ's terrific singing and the second interlude. Very nostalgic! 

Today, we had one of the best days in this spring here Smile Due to a "send-off", we also had the privilege of going out for a couple of hours and enjoy the really fabulous weather and the excellent food. On the way back, I couldn't help but reminisce about this sweet number Smile

Everyone knows the liking kavingar had for thathuvams and also the ease with which he could throw such lines in movie songs. This song too can boast of a couple of them (also recalled by IR in that video)...

அலையிலாடும் காகிதம் 
அதிலும் என்ன காவியம் 

Referring the human life as a paper tossed about in the sea wave is such a terrific simile, loaded with reality / philosophy as well! And the ridicule that follows, as "what is this big deal. kAviyam business etc" Laughing What a sense of humor for kavingar!

Nevertheless, the impact that one's actions can have on another's life could be viewed as gigantic by the recipient, as the song generally portrays. All of us will have to agree to those pronouncements, having at least one or more of such "strokes of brush", life-lasting-memories of things happened in the "spring of youth of our life"!

வசந்த காலக் கோலங்கள் வானில் விழுந்த கோடுகள் 
கலைந்திடும் கனவுகள் கண்ணீர் சிந்தும் நினைவுகள் 

It so happened in the case of this woman that those were sad ones, bringing in tears. However, there could be pleasant ones as well Smile Regardless, while the incidents themselves are way back in the past (like shades on sky that disappear, like dreams that do not last), the memories cannot be easily erased. They keep haunting, bringing tears! Sweet and lovely poem there!

The song also has this effortless social commentary, that makes me smile (very realistic and truthful) :

நிலையில்லாத மனிதர்கள் அவர்க்குமென்ன உறவுகள் 

What a lovely song! கவிஞர் வாழ்க!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:37 pm

Eulogizing MGR (and others) perhaps made sure Vaali had a bigger share among his peers in the TFM industry.

However, I don't think that was the sole thing / capability that can be attributed to his long innings in the industry or the accolades he got from the likes of IR. (I saw one youtube where IR puts him in the lineage of Bharathi and Kannadasan, definitely a praise of very high order - coming from such a top genius artiste / brain).

Well, if one hunts for "what was unique about Vaali that can't be said about other TFM lyricists", then this "thudhi pAdal" could come up. However, this alone could not have sustained him for so many years - as there are 100 other "poets" who would have happily done the same thing.

மன்னர்களைப் புகழ்வது புலவர்கள் தொன்று தொட்டே செய்து வரும் ஒன்று தானே?

So, back to the question - what did Vaali bring to the table that made rAsA count him among top pAdal AsiriyargaL in the TN history?

Definitely not his nAttuppuRappAttukaL - he was obviously not a specialist in that. (Even Kannadasan's weak area...the pAvalar brothers score highly here and before them perhaps Maruthakasi and older ones. After them Vairamuthu, though at times he struggles to get smoothness). Though Vaali had some good songs (ponnula ponnula paNNuna mookkuththi is a terrific one, for e.g.), that is not his top area.

"Keeping-up-with-the-trend" was something that kept him relevant. However, that cannot get nod of approval from a purist like IR. 

I don't think Vaali had so much literary output that got his name and fame in TN. (Even if there had been some, I've never read any and cannot elaborate on that). IMHO, any recognition he had in TN had to do with cine songs only.

uvamai, thaththuvam, romance, propaganda, sOgam, varalARu, purANam, samooga aRivu, politics - you pick any topic or any genre, you can always find another lyricist who comes as a topper (Kannadasan in many cases) and Vaali can at best be called 2nd rank in some and there too not as a trend-setter. 

That some of his songs got reckoned by general public as "I thought it was Kannadasan song, did Vaali really write it" cannot be taken as a compliment IMHO but as a "certificate of imitation / mediocrity" Embarassed 
(No artist likes to be told that way, much like no man enjoys hearing that his child predominantly has features of his neighbor Embarassed Laughing )

So, once again, the naive question - how he came to be reckoned among greats? 

Well, let me pick a hit song from Sridhar's azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn and try to understand what could have made IR give him his certificate of approval Smile

The song is "குறிஞ்சி மலரில் வழிந்த ரசத்தை" and using that let us identify Vaali specialities in the next post...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next