Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

+10
rajkumarc
jaiganesh
Bala (Karthik)
plum
vicks
kiru
Vinayzmusic
Usha
V_S
app_engine
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! Empty First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm

SJ deserves a separate thread in the IR section, for her special contribution to many IR songs!

solvanam article by Vicki on SJ:

http://solvanam.com/?p=24387

அதே சமயம் பத்ம பூஷணை அவர் மறுத்ததும் நியாயமே. அந்த நிராகரிப்பில் நிச்சயமாக ஆணவம் இல்லை. தென்னிந்தியக் கலைஞர்களை தொன்றுதொட்டே அந்நியப்படுத்தி இருக்கிறார்கள் என்கிற பரவலான ஆதங்கத்தை கேட்பவர்களுக்கு உரைக்கும் வகையில் தன் நிலமையை தெளிவு படுத்தியிருக்கிறார்.

ஜானகி போன்ற கலைஞர்களுக்கு நடிகர்/நடிகைகளைப் போல குறுகிய கால நட்சத்திர அந்தஸ்து கிடைப்பதில்லை. ஆனால் அதை விட ஆர்ப்பாட்டம் இல்லாத நிரந்தர அங்கீகாரத்தை ரசிகர்கள் மனதில் நிச்சயமாக பெறுபவர்கள். இதையேதான் அவரும் “என் ரசிகர்களின் மனதில் நான் பிடித்திருக்கும் இடமே எனக்கு பெரிய விருது” என சிரித்துக்கொண்டே சொல்கிறார்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! Empty Re: First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

Post  V_S Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Today I got up to this song and it is continuously running in my mind from then on. I don’t know why. Such is the power of Maestro’s music. He gets to your subconscious mind easily without your permission. Neither could I work, nor could I concentrate on anything else. I am not myself. The tune goes everywhere it intended to go, but never loses focus. Just like a kite, it races straight, swivels, rotates, slows down, angles itself, makes a deep cut depending on the breeze and wind and the way it is handled, but always in Maestro’s tight-control.

The situation of this song is very unique and interesting. A man is in his dream. He is dreaming about a girl who is singing this song. Even though it is his dream, the girl is singing about her dreams, her desire, may be about him. A dream inside a dream! Till that dream, it was just another girl for him, but when he realizes and recalls his dream, he may have just found his girl.

Outstanding lyrics by Panchu Arunachalam. Beautiful imagination! If there is any singer who can do justice to this composition, it can be none other S Janaki. A thoroughly divine voice and singing. She brings the nature in front of us in her singing. We can feel the chill breeze over her when she is singing. She brings the youth and naughtiness in her singing. She brings the innocence in her singing. Most of all she brings life into the song. As Sivakumar (in Maestro’s voice) tells to Rajiv (K J Yesudas) in Urangaatha Ninaivugal, 'if you sing this song as per my expectation, the girl will be at your feet'. Same way, if any girl sings this song like how SJ sang, the boy will be at her feet. Wink

KuyilE kavikkuyilE...
yaar varavai thEdugiraai
manasukkuL aasai vaikka mannan vandhaanaa
KuyilE kavikkuyilE...
yaarai yeNNi paadukiraai
uravukku arththam solla kaNNan vandhaanaa (2)(kuyilE)

iLamai sadhiraadum thOttam
kaayum kaniyaanadhE...
inimai suvai kaaNum uLLam
thanimai uravaadudhE...
jaadai sonnadhu yen kaNgaLE...
vaadai koNdadhu yen nenjamE...
kuyilE avarai varach cholladi
idhan mOhanam paadidum peNmai...adhaichcholladi..(kuyilE)

paruva sezhippinilE
paniyil nanaindha malar
sirikkum sirippennavO
ninaikkum ninaippennavO
mella...mella... angam yengum thuLLa thuLLa
aLLikkoLLa yennai vella idhudhaanE nEram
arththam solla kaNNan vandhaanaa
idhai moovanam kaattidum mullai yenachcholladi (kuyilE)

yennai aatkoNda thaagam
yendrum oru raagamE...
indru naan koNda vEgam
yendrum unakkaagavE...
vaazhvil minnal pOl vandhadhu
yaarO yevarO yaar kaNdadhu
kuyilE therindhaal varachcholladi
oru thEnmalar vaadudhu yendru nee solladi… (kuyilE)

Hear the tune. There is not a single second we don’t love this song. There is not a single second if anything is out of place. After Maestro starts the pallavi higher, he brings it down beautifully in anu-pallavi. After this, we are into totally different world when she starts the charanam; iLamai sathiraadum thOttam again higher followed by kaayum kaniyaanadhE dipping it slightly lower, how sweet to hear this. Then the fifth line; jaadai sonnathu en kaNgaLE. When she sings kuyilE avarai varacholladi, I thought that is the last line of charanam. Maestro then springs a surprise by throwing that additional line which takes the sweetness quotient way higher; idhan mOhanam paadidum peNmai adhaichcholladi. noteworthy I also tend to think this last line is almost a pallavi line. As if Maestro tuned the pallavi line as the last line of charanam. This is what I call a complex tune and structuring yet so simple and easy to ears. A brilliant AbhEri raagam, which gives us a breath of fresh air to this raagam and also bringing out its essence like a ‘amirtham’.

I can’t express Maestro’s virtuosity here. Truly an unbelievable composition. What a genius this man is! I do not want to talk about Maestro’s orchestration skills, especially the flute, will leave it to experience it again and again. I want to talk about the sweetness of the song endlessly, but I am continuously lost on words. If you ask my favorite S Janaki’s songs, I would rate this one as at the top. It’s so magical, that I don’t want to come out of this dream, do you?

Back to top Go down

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! Empty Re: First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music!

Post  Usha Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

SJ and IR......... Thread. Great.. VS ... pl continue. am rasichifying..............

wat about Machana partheengala................. indha voice..SJ nu namba mudiyala. first time kaeta podhu......................
poga poga therinjadhu.. Idhu vera SJ nu...............

paatoda style . adhula ivanga voice ai merge pannuvanga. Beautiful style idhu.

village lady kaga.. vaarthaiyai gavanama use pannuvanga................

en machanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. azhagana alabanai.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzzI855yns

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Awesome write-up, V_Sji for the kavikkuyil song!

This should make SJ the 'periya kuyil' or simply 'kuyilu' Smile

(Chithra is the sinnakkuyil)

The movie also had that lovely, haunting 'udhayam varukinRadhu' song by SJ. Well, she also had her version of 'chinnakkaNNan azhaikkiRAn' but BMK was phenomenal.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks Usha ji and App ji Smile I will drop-in whenever I can for sure. Namma SJ chEchi aachE Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 pm

njv, in the hub wrote:

After the show on our way back to car, IR said "janaki is the only artist who could render the song as is and Chitra is the next best" and someone in the car mentioned that "Janaki scolded you in a recent TV interview" and IR said "sollittu poraanga, yaar Yaaro edho solraanga, avanga sonna thappillai". He has lot of respect and admiration for Janaki.

Looks like this hubber was part of the org of NJ show and he followed IR to bay area too (and had some kind of access to rAsA).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:06 am

This is such a beautiful write up on Kavi Kuyil Song .

I am basically from Andhra but acquainted to Tamil music because of the wonderful works of Janaki amma and Raja sir together .
Later on , I started enjoying Tamil music on a whole .

I sincerely believe Raja Sir was the best in bringing out every single talent of Janaki amma out and Janaki amma was beyond awesome in bringing out the real feel
in Raja sir's music .

In Childhood , when "Sirimalle Puvva" (Telugu Version of the "Sindhoora puvve") used to be telecasted in Tv , I used to think who can be such a great music director and that is how I first came to knew about raja sir (though telugu version had Chakravarthy garu in credits).I simply love the BGM of that song , and When I listened to it in Tamil , I was so damn happy .. Janaki ammaa sounds so innocent in tamil version (though both versions are equally good) .

and the first song which made me become crazy about Janaki - Raja combination is " Poo Malye Thol serava" .. What a song ! Their singing is just wonderful ..How their voices overlap with each other and with the instruments .. On a whole it is sheer magic !

Not only Tamil , Even in Telugu their combination was hits all the way .. SPB SJ IR was such a hit combination in Telugu that it is very difficult to pick a song which is not popular from them .. (except some songs from dubbed movies) . Mounamelanoyi is the best example for their team work Smile

Kannada music was also enriched with Raja - Janaki combination with golden melodies like Nagu endide manjina bindu .. Her alaap in mid of the song with raja's guitar work - is a must listen for every Raja devotee .. and Janaki- Balu Duets like Naguva Nayana , Jotheyali , Yava shilpi kanda kanasu neenu are Radio favourites even till date and these were the songs which made my life rich with music during my stay in Bangalore.

Janaki amma sang memorable solos in Malayalam also like Thumbiva/Veene Veene .. and her duets with Yesudas sir for Raja music especially konji karayalle is too damn lovely ..

Their collaboration was awesome even in Hindi in songs like Chand hai tu (Tamil version being sung by Ashaji and Telugu Version Pavurama Pavurama by SPB- SJ) , Meri Qadar jani with Suresh wadkar sahab etc.. were awesome ..

On a whole they worked on a wide variety of songs from Devotional (Om Namah Shivaya) , Classical (Sangeethame En Daivame) , Seductive (Ponmeni uruguthey) , Drunkard ( Endan kannil ) , Haunting ( Vetta Vezhi Pottalile ) , Romantic ( Oru Poongavanam ) , Pop ( Roja Poo aadi vandadu) , Sad ( katril Enthan geetham) , Dreamy ( Sindhoora Puvve ) ,Divine ( Natham En jeevane ) , Western ( Malare Malare ullasam ) , Motherly ( Chinna Thayaval ) ... What Not , It is very difficult to bring a variety of song which did not come from this combination . There may be several combinations where different kinds of songs are sung .. but they variety this duo showed and the perfection in each variety , it is just awesome .. There is nothing left that their admirers miss in their music ..

After all this explanation , It is a toughest task for (and most of us) to pick a favorite song from this combination .. I used to think Vennelo Godari andam (telugu version of Doorathil Naan kanda en mugam) may be my most fav song .. but I am not sure though because 100's of songs like Vazhkai odum sella , Kallukulle vanda eeram enna , Oh vasantha raja , Ayiram thamarai , Agaya gangai , Oru vanavil pole , Kodiyile Malliya poo , Kathoram lolakku , pagalile oru nilavini kanden , Kathirunden kanava , Mandira punnagayo,Puthum Pudu poo , Puthum pudu kalai etc.. cross my mind when ever I think of them ..

Thanks again for starting this post , let us keep it alive with more rare and popular songs ..

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Vinayzmusic wrote:I am basically from Andhra but acquainted to Tamil music because of the wonderful works of Janaki amma and Raja sir together .
Later on , I started enjoying Tamil music on a whole .

Great post, sir!

Quick question - can you read Thamizh? ( As in தமிழ்)... at times, we indulge in that font Embarassed Hope that doesn't create too much difficulty for you.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Vinayzmusic,
Welcome aboard! Very Happy Great start with a detail post! cheers Nice recollection of songs. Thank you! Yes, we have tons of songs of Janaki amma, it is highly impossible to pick one, the main reason I highlighted this song is because just at the thought of this thread, that song came out of me, so that has to be a special one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 am

Thanks a lot for the hearty welcome !

Dear app_engine ,I cannot read Tamizh as it is , but I can understand it (which I learnt mostly from songs) .

I just wanted to bring another great melody into our discussion today . When ever I think about this song , I feel this song and situation is very lucky to get so many golden voices and beautiful artists performing for it .

This song in Hindi was picturised on Sharmila tagore , Sung by Ashaji Music Shyamal Mitra
Telugu Vani sree, sung by Susheelamma , Music Sathyam
Malayalam ,Sheela , sung by Janakiamma , Music M S Viswanathan ..

and Tamil , ofcourse SJ-IR combination .

A girl who is in love had to give up him because of her principles . Basically she misunderstands her lover to be a criminal who is indulged in lot of bad activities , mainly in death of a woman . But , hero who is innocent wants to prove himself to her , failing to do the same , he gets addicted to Drinks . This hurts her feelings still further.
she sings a song remembering the days of love and her present days of separation . Raja sir's composition and his BGM after first Pallavi just drives me crazy in this song . It reminds me of sudden increase in volume of BGM as in Ninaivo paravai song . When ever Janaki amma sings for actress Lakshmi , it appears as if actress is singing herself. Their combination in Kannada was such a hit that most of songs picturised on Lakshmi were sung by SJ and were proved to be commercial success.
I simply love the way Raja composed these lines "Nandri Nandri Deva " and SJ sings the word "Kagitham" .. Janaki amma sings the helpless thank of Heroine to God for showing correct direction (protecting from a wrong person) and the same time she shows a hope in her voice that Hero is not a bad guy ... Though , I dunno exact translation of every single word ..I love the lyrics of Legendary Kannadasan in this song ..
Hope You all recall this melody once again ..

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:25 pm

WOW, another lovely pick and sweet write-up Vinayzmusic!
One of my all-time-fav songs in the SJ-IR combo! The interludes are simply haunting!
I'm watching the video of the song for the first time...should check out this movie (thyAgam) sometime...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Amazing Vinayzmusic for excellent pick and heart-felt writing!.

Vinayzmusic wrote:and the same time she shows a hope in her voice that Hero is not a bad guy
Yes, very well said. Only SJ can bring such emotions and expression in her singing. Me too first timer for the video.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:16 am

When the world is running around catchy starting phrases in a song, which lasts only for few seconds, ignoring the aspect that the song lasts for 4-5 minutes, here comes a composition which not only lasts for 4 minutes when listening, the reverberation lasts in us for a life time and more. When the world is going gaga over 'over-processed' loud rhythm beats and soul-less melodies, here comes a melody which shakes us forever. When the world is blindly behind monotonous mood in music for all emotions, here comes our Maestro painting depression in all of us as depicted in this visual poetry. When the audience are robbed of having a glimpse of a scene for hardly a second (due to abrupt editing and cuts), here comes a director who is in no haste, provides ample time for the audience to grasp the scenario, mood and emotions, not even in color, but just in black and white. When world is hyping mediocre chopped lines, here comes our lyricist who brings the depressed women in front of us through these memorable lines. Last but not the least, when the world is giving highest honors for undeserving ones, here comes our lady who was even neglected by our own people, but rightly found by a genius, who gave this deserved honor and accolade through this composition. Whether she justified this honor?

No question about it. Just when she starts vaazhkai Odam sella aatril neerOttam illai, she already got all the honors from every heart who listens to her, not just from Maestro. The depression from her (Sripriya) got into us, just from the first phrase itself. If people are calling today's starting phrase as catchy, what do we call this? I'd call emptiness. If you are empty, only then you can fill up your heart and soul as much as you want. If that is just catchy, once your catch it, you are done, as you almost full, just that the catchy phrase makes you completely full. On the other hand the above composition, makes you empty every time you listen and you go on grasping as much you want. If Maestro has tuned this great melody, his job is not over until he selected S Janaki for it, otherwise we will not be talking about it after 35 years. Until he selected S Janaki he could not relieve his burden. Only after S Janaki sang, she transferred her burden to us. Only after we listeners like us listen to the song and share their thoughts, their burden will be relieved. If I said kuyilE kavikkuyilE as her best, I was wrong, until I heard this one. It is such a heavy song carrying subtle emotions.

If the first interlude is dominated by bass flute to give the sober shade, second interlude is dominated by classical violin (in two different pitches) followed by santhoor, acoustic drums ending with flute beautifully expressing the solitude feeling. Visually director Rudraiah arrests us with pure black and white cinematography sketching withered trees (blurred too!) and a solitary branch slowly waving to the wind, as she is adapting to the men driven society. I have not seen anything like this! When SJ sings 'oorengum mEdai raajaakkaL vEsham unmaiyil raajaakkaL illai', we hear a vibraphone passing over us like water in sea passing over our legs, beautifully captured visually. Again when SJ sings, 'ulagaththil peNmai uyarvaagavillai udhavaatha pushpangaL peNgaL, Sripriya is shown alone a dark bedroom with all windows closed, I could see how well the communication established between Maestro and the director. Then when pallavi is repeated, Sripriya is shown in a dark background. Visual poetry at its best!

S Janaki sang her heart out, throwing the expressions at will which is most needed for this ultimate composition. If I would classify Maestro songs based on the best first line tune and lyrics, this one will again top the list, for its immense beauty and the satisfaction it gives. I could not even go to second line and keep on singing the first line again and again. It is that seductive. Once we start exploring its beauty further, again it might take months or years to come back to pallavi again. I could even sense how kaviyarasar would have penned these lines hearing the situation. It must have just flown out of him spontaneously fearing its burden, but what a choice of words and its meaning!.

He brings the 'virakthi' just in three words; 'engO yEdho yaarO'. Genius!
yaarum thEril sella ooril thErum illai
engO yEdhO yaarO...

I don't know which was born first lyrics or tune, but both competing each other for musical poetry and word poetry, while S Janaki is competing for vocal poetry, the director competes for visual poetry making this composition evergreen as none of these four can be taken out and enjoyed separately. Everything is made to fuse in our heart and put deep inside, so that it does not escape from us until our soul escapes our body.

If you don't cry for this song, let me take this golden opportunity to cry for you!

Lyrics: http://thiraipaadal.com/Lyrics.asp?lyrid=6482&sngid=SNGIRR0350

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am

Wonderful pick V_S , This song was next in my list too to be posted . What a lovely song .. I am equally crazy about song ,singing , lyrics and tune ... Beautiful write up for the song !

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Nice pick & excellent write-up, V_Sji (as usual)!

First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! 2798411019

I don't remember paying attention to this song at the time of the movie / album's arrival. 'uRavugaL thodarkadhai' was obviously the biggest hit and was heard frequently on radio those days. 'panneer pushpangaLE' (perhaps the first song Kamal sang for IR) was there too every now and then. However, not this 'vAzhkkai Odam sella' as per my memory.

The first time I came across this number was through the dhool SOTD page when they hosted it a few years back:

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/860.html

In that link, there exists Saravanan's copy-paste of a nice article by Vannanilavan who penned the dialog for the movie.

It's a must-read!

Later, I had a chance to watch the movie for the first time on web and was astounded! As mentioned in the above link, that is once-in-a-lifetime kind of role for any actress and the talented Sripriya was fortunate to get it and did full justice to it!

On the song, I agree with mythila (thumburu)'s & Udhaya's comment :

mythila wrote:
Beautiful song that conveys poignant feelings in sharp, shrill SJ's voice. ... Raja has used a complex [Hindustani ] scale , not the usual film music ones.

Udhaya wrote:
I finally got around to accessing the song. ...the tune and composition are interesting. IR has used a somber tabla (ala 'thendrale nee pesu' and 'udhayageetham paaduven') and pondering flute to give a Hindusthani flavor. The interludes aren't as smooth but the song as a whole is certainly off the beaten path.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks a lot Vinay and app ji. Thanks app ji for detailed comments. I wanted to write more about the song, but the song itself didn't allow me to write, as it wanted me to listen more. Smile I am still hummming aatril neerOttam illai, couldn't come out of that heavenly deeply impacting melody. Yes, the Hindustani touches are so nice, rich and different. If lyrics were written aptly in hindi, it would have been an outstanding deep-rooted hindi song as well. This is when people think Maestro's indigenous compositions are deep-rooted that it doesn't transcend boundaries, when they boast a western-based song transcending boundaries (obviously it would) as if that was an achievement. Yes, it is an achievement, only for the original composer who composed it, not for the one who demonstrated it.

Which makes me remember one Vicky article about 'Raja Hindustani'. Raaja's hindustani prowess is often under-estimated.
http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-i.html
http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/05/raaja-hindustani-ii.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinayzmusic Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Was listening to "Isai medayil" IR-Sj-SPB killer combination .. This song had everything that is needed for a beautiful song ! Sj' s hummings are very yummy Very Happy

Vinayzmusic

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

A blog post on Toronto concert that got telecast on Vijay TV recently

அன்னக்கிளி உன்னைத் தேடுதே! -- இந்த பாடல் அவ்வளவாக அந்த நாட்களில் என்னைக் கவரவில்லை. ஜானகி அவர்கள் இந்தப் பாடலை எவ்வளவு அனாயாசமாய் பாடியிருக்கிறார் என்று இப்போது தோன்றுகிறது. நிகழ்ச்சியில் சித்ரா இந்தப் பாடலைப் பாடினார். அவர் முக பாவத்தைப் பார்த்த போது, ரொம்ப கஷ்டப் பட்ட மாதிரி தோன்றியது! ஜானகி அவர்களுக்கு ஒரு சல்யூட்!!

This intrigues me to watch the youtubes of the concert Rolling Eyes

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 am

kuyilE kavikkuyilE is a classic and probably belongs in the top 20 tamil songs of the last millenium. V_S is apt to point out the 'extra' line in the charanams.. what a touch by the composer in tune making !!
Great thread.. I love the early songs of IR-SJ even though I got fascinated with the 'precision' in the voice of Chitra whom I have taken a fancy to, after PS, there is no doubt SJ has done a great contribution to tamil films and IR' music. As mentioned in the previous post here, that annakkiLi song that Chitra song in the concert really showed what a niche SJ was filling and which seems difficult to fill, even by Chitra.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 am

SJ's evergreen number in kAtrinilE varum geetham :

I've posted the VJ equivalent in the spooky songs thread Smile
(I think the lyrics are ditto equivalents but different orch makes that a very different song, as also the singing by a different singer)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Having spent my whole childhood of 14 years right from my kindergarten to +2 in the same school, I could say the power of church bells and the silence when we enter the church is beyond any worldly comforts and material thirst. I can't forget this day as I still remember we had special prayers at school every year. What a sad day! Excellent song to heal the pain. A melody like never before and never after. Interesting situation. The boy lost his mother and she has another mother to console and take care of him, yet he could not forget his mother. The accompanying veena, mridangam (for this song!) and solo violin (in first interlude) will tear out the heart. The violin gushes (in third interlude) when his mother is about to break-down followed by consoling veena (to console the kid), aha!

On top of it, we have another genius hands.
மேய்ப்பன் இல்லாத மந்தை வழி மாறுதே (SJ's aalapanai after this line has so much motherly affection in it)
மேரி  உன் ஜோதி  கண்டால் விதி மாறுதே

காவல் இல்லாத ஜீவன் கண்ணீரிலே 
கரை கண்டிடாத ஓடம் தண்ணீரிலே 
அருள்தரும் திருச்சபை மணியோசை கேட்குமோ மாதா 
பிள்ளை பெறாத  பெண்மை தாயானது 
அன்னை இல்லாத மகனை தாலாட்டுது 
கர்த்தரின் கட்டளை நான் என்ன சொல்வது மாதா

S Janaki should be bestowed with all recognitions in the world for singing this song with utmost perfection. Every word gets its re-birth (punarjenmam) when she brings forth the expressions. There are numerous reasons on why Maestro is God when it comes to music, but here is one reason why Maestro is Mother. The word 'maadha' is enough to heal any pain!

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

V_S wrote:
S Janaki should be bestowed with all recognitions in the world for singing this song with utmost perfection.
First among the equals - S Janaki, who sang the best in rAsA music! 2798411019
With the 'nAn kadavuL' bad experience (not-on-screen), hopefully IR won't agree to such requests by overambitious directors for "remix" of such classics anymore.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 am

V_S wrote:

S Janaki should be bestowed with all recognitions in the world for singing this song with utmost perfection. Every word gets its re-birth (punarjenmam) when she brings forth the expressions. There are numerous reasons on why Maestro is God when it comes to music, but here is one reason why Maestro is Mother. The word 'maadha' is enough to heal any pain!

What a song intha paattu Janaki amma has sung so beautifully and soulfully.. I have never heard another singer who could convey so much 'feel' + not missing a single note - the greatest of the greatest!!

I've heard that on the day of recording this song, the orchestra missed playing the first interlude - they were so deeply engrossed listening to S. Janaki that they forgot to play their parts when Pallavi ended! - Take 1

Mildly annoyed (being the "Ippo Ramasamy" that he is Smile ), Maestro had to go for another take.

Take 2 - this time, S. Janaki cried as she was singing the line - "Pillai peratha penmai Thaayaanadhu", and Maestro had to go for another take.

So Take 3 la thaan song was recorded, it seems!

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:01 pm

vicks wrote: being the "Ippo Ramasamy" that he is
puriyalai Embarassed
Please explain Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 am

Wondering whether our music (carnatic/indian) was designed from ground up to be used with lyrics. The singing/musical techniques (slides/stresses) etc are perfectly done to accentuate the content/meaning/impact of the lyrics. Very difficult to separate the two -music and content. Of course, the bhaavam/emotion content by the singer is also very high, to say the least. Emotionally deep impact song. Good example of teamwork as well (music, lyrics, singing).

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next