Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

+16
Drunkenmunk
writeface
sheepChase
sid_316
Kaaling
groucho070
kid_glove
plum
V_S
Bala (Karthik)
jaiganesh
Michael AF
Admin
app_engine
sagi
20 posters

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 Empty Re: Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

Post  2040 Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

my only problem with netflix is, the netflix process consumes lots of cpu and makes my laptop to work really hard.. leaving my system as hot as an ironbox and the frames start freezing..

then i have to shutdown/cool and restart all over again..

Back to top Go down

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 Empty Re: Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

Post  2040 Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

ellaathukkum oru badhil vechiruppaare mr.sivam... idhukku edhunaa solison irukka mr wiz.?

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Don't you have a thing called TeleVision box? Very Happy

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 pm

SS, netflix on laptop/chrome/silverlight is a very bad idea, it can conk your board especially if you happen to binge watch.
IE 11/FF surprisingly manges the memory better wrt silverlight/netflix. you can compare various browsers and its memory imprints
by opening up video in normal screen and hit the following shortcut 

ctrl+alt+shift+D

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 261n5uf

else you could try netflix plugin for Windows media centre-> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977116/en-us
(doesn't work if you have created multiple user profiles in Netflix)

having said all these, your best bet would be a tv box/device as Nerd implies Very Happy 
I have used variety of devices like WDTV/raspbmc/rockchip tv sticks/Roku/Oppo, in these Roku/Oppo provides the most seamless experience.
another low cost option will be 'Chromecast', retails for ~$35 else get this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-2400EU-Receiver-Set-Top-Box/dp/B006VTASUQ/
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 21kasti

magalir mattum show set in after WW, about code breakers from Bletchley Park getting together to solve a heinous crime.
pattern matching/vector analysis got me study recommended viewing though, US shows which are still stuck on procedural crime dramas on :whodunit: are some years behind Brits.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 pm

House of Cards - Good stuff.  Cool Robin Wright Penn, Spacey  Cool
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm

^Robin Wright  drunken series was tad slow to begin with but got me completely hooked after ep8 though unlike the original Spacey/Frank breaking the 4th wall doesn't really work wish they just went with voice over ..Sam Page/Molly Parker in S2  thumbsup

PoI- getting darker by each episode, whata turnaround for Lionel Fiasco

Elementary- Sherlock @ Big apple and Lucy Liu as Watson just doesn't sit right initially but if we look past it the show holds it own
against BBC's classic representation. for instance Moriarty twist in the season 1 finale takes this show to whole new level.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Blue Jasmine- dvd screener is out finally, imo whole lot better than his last 2 fluffy tours of Europe, actually we may have to go as far as
'Match Point' since we had Woody handle something as refined as this, great set of actors especially Gyp/Rothstein from Boardwalk and the movie really is Woody's love letter to 'Blanche DuBois', Cate sleep walks it, give her all the awards already. Louis CK sneaks in and out, wish Woody gets to do 'Whatever works' with CK.

for those who couldn't catch it in theaters.
Spoiler:
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:16 am

PoI- The Machine communicating with Root in Morse code and the entire confrontation between Root and Control  applause 
looks like it will be a showdown between the Machine and Samaritan, writing brilliance all around/easily the best show on air.
suffice to say Jonathan is turning out to be better of Nolan bros.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Anybody watched American Hustle/DALLAS buyers club?
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Wizzy wrote:Blue Jasmine- dvd screener is out finally, imo whole lot better than his last 2 fluffy tours of Europe, actually we may have to go as far as
'Match Point' since we had Woody handle something as refined as this, great set of actors especially Gyp/Rothstein from Boardwalk and the movie really is Woody's love letter to 'Blanche DuBois', Cate sleep walks it, give her all the awards already. Louis CK sneaks in and out, wish Woody gets to do 'Whatever works' with CK.

for those who couldn't catch it in theaters.
Spoiler:
Saw it. Loved it. What a sad film. Don't know how he managed to have the audience (that is me) both root for Jasmine and to see her sadistically defeated one more time. I predicted the twist (the phone call). Anyway perhaps the best of last year (only other film I so want to see if American Hustle). 

Dint like his last outing, but I though Paris was good.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 am

Anybody, Inside Lwelyn davis??. Coen's direction!!!
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:49 am

Michael AF wrote:Anybody, Inside Lwelyn davis??. Coen's direction!!!

only lousy screener available, awaiting good rip.

on American Hustle- would rate it a notch below Silver Linings Playbook,nothing in the plot
really sticks, completely actors driven... Cooper's banter with Louis CK  thumbsup 
JenLaw is too young for the role,doesn't really fit in, Amy Adams show all the way  drunken

Nerd, on repeated viewing Paris was strictly ok but Blue Jasmine is right up Woody's alley, might even make it my top 10. its that good.
even Alec Baldwin was so good you feel sorry for what happens to him  Very Happy 

Gravity getting so much attention is worrying  Neutral  last year had some very good movies, movies like About time,Short term,
The Spectacular Now which were twice as good didn't even get a release here  Evil or Very Mad
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 am

S2 starting this Feb

w00t....

Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Finally got to see Wolf of Wall Street, which I had been planning to since its release.  Lucky me it hadn't exited theaters yet.  Loved it. It's getting compared, inevitably, to Oliver Stone's Wall Street, but I think it's more like a Wall Street based version of A Clockwork Orange (note the overdose of sleaze and vulgarity in both cases).  Not nearly as scary and prescient as that film, but entertaining nevertheless.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm

^is it only me or the movie had some sloppy editing, Marty/Thelma never did edit for continuity but the pacing was weird to
put it mildly  Neutral 
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:44 am

I THINK it was intentional.  Unless the images suddenly slowed right down or sped up drastically in the same frame, but didn't notice that that was the case.  Even if I had, would have made allowances at that time for unorthodox 'licence' and all that because the subject was engrossing.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 am

^cuts being jumpy is one thing but here ADRs when used weren't even in-sync especially with Leo and dialogues doesn't even match peeps
lips for instance Leo conversation with his wife's aunt in the bench or the cross dissolve early on when Leo gets out of his car.
too sloppy for a Marty movie..hopefully 4hr cut should allay some of these.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am

giddyap..flash sale@ http://www.criterion.com/sale
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:46 am

rotfl4

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 2I45Tuh

another one  laugh

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 1387210578281dqzyh
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:51 am

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 15 040314_fargo7minsfeat-600x450

Anyone here caught up with 'Fargo' on FX? though other than some visual cues/story arc the show got nothing on the movie..
 Martin Freeman breaking bad with Bob Odenkirk playing dumb cop/with
antagonist being as ruthless as Anton Chigurh//recommended viewing
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sid_316 Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Fargo is going good. Btw 'The Wire' is the best ever. Friggin brilliant series loved it.. too bad i didn't see it for so long. The Wire > Breaking Bad.

sid_316

Back to top Go down

Post  sid_316 Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Wizzy  recommend me something to watch?  Done with true  detective too. sopranos/shield/ or any other?

sid_316

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 am

did you get to watch it in Amazon Prime? credits to them for taking these HBO shows to mainstream audiences.

The Wire > Breaking Bad.

yep but TW was done for entirely different audiences though.don't think TW would have survived long on n/w telly given how much of slow burn S1 turned out to be
and nothing much happens in S2 plotwise still TW pisses all over BB and reduces it to b grade masala pot-boiler..
do check out underrated and truly a unique HBO show with weird setting from the TW writers called 'Treme'..between The Wire/The Sopranos/Generation Kill
there are lot many overlapping actors so dont binge watch these back-back..'Oz' is another alpha male/prison show which is
too fast paced for my liking..starts with a bang on racial tension in the hood but quickly withers aways in the final seasons though would still recommend them for outlandish plots and action sequences.

If you are cool with subs would recommend some scandinavian police procedurals which are the top draw currently  Smile
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sid_316 Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 pm

wizzy wrote: still TW pisses all over BB and reduces it to b grade masala pot-boiler..
 Twisted Evil  Stan see this !

No wizzy not amazon prime. Thanks for the recommendations will check it out. Btw did u mean the killing? (Scandinavian version).

sid_316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next