Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IR rare songs

+16
IsaiRasigan
karthicc
shyamk
crimson king
Wizzy
kamalaakarsh
mythila
Saravanan
fring151
D22_Malar
Drunkenmunk
Usha
app_engine
groucho070
V_S
vicks
20 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

IR rare songs Empty IR rare songs

Post  vicks Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:36 am

This being my first post here, I thought I should start with this amazing song, sung by maestro himself. We can use this topic to share our thoughts on songs that should have gotten noticed better ( his musical output is like an ocean and there will be hundreds of such hidden treasures, but nammalala kandu pidikka mudinjadha share pannalam, avalo thaan).

As I read in a youtube comment somewhere, IR is a non stop magician. This song can definitely be called magical.The song is Vaanampadi Koodu Thedum, from Thalayanai Mandhiram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86RvhBsnNqM&feature=plcp

To me this sounds like a sober/melanchonic version of Paadiva thendrale, maybe because of same set of instruments used? (keyboard, bass/electric, drums, flute , no cellos/violins) also second interlude of both songs have similar styles - distinct electric/bass guitars section and distinct flute solos.

I am sure IR must have done all the usual things in this song too - melody set in a Carnatic raga, exquisitely harmonized, tight and brilliant interludes etc., but antha matter laam experts sonna better ah irukkum.

EOD, intha paatta ketta nimmadhiya thoongalam, oru amaidhi kudukkum, and I really wish songs like this were not forgotten.

vicks

Back to top Go down

IR rare songs Empty Re: IR rare songs

Post  V_S Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 am

Welcome vicks and thanks for starting the much needed thread. Smile Definitely there are tons of IR's rare songs which deserve more listening and discussion. Thanks for highlighting one of the rare and best song, that too sung by IR himself. All songs in this film deserves repeated listens.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 am

thanks V_S for the encouraging words..unga maestroworld blog ippo thaan padikka aarambichen.. wow, I feel like you were sitting next to maestro and he was explaining his thought process to you, while composing SRR BGM.. avalo depth irukku!

the next song I want to share is 'Endrum Vaanaveliyil' from Kelviyum Naane Bathilum Naane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clx2JlZxws4

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was sung by Unni Menon (UM), I took it for granted that it must have been KJY.. Smile Seems like IR had 'dupes' for KJY and SPB -> UM and Mano!

The song starts with a bang - piano and bass (apt for the situation as the protagonist is playing piano) 'WCM stuff', followed by 'bore bore' chorus, and the hero shifts to 'traditional' singing to appease the audience, and once they 'quiet down' he bedazzles the audience in the interludes and charanam, and in the end the initially 'hostile' audience now join the hero in singing along, clapping once the song ends.

I am pretty certain that IR saw an analogy between the song and his situation as a composer in TN - its almost like an interaction between IR and his fans - they are initially unable to comprehend WCM stuff ('bore bore' in the song), and IR is like, okay, let me start with what you can grasp easily - melody/singing (ezhunthu ninna fans ippo seat la ukkaruraanga). By the time the first interlude starts, IR is saying, okay you like this so far, let me introduce you to some WCM, and I will let you see/judge how this perfectly extends the melody you've been hearing so far.

The fan is indeed completely mesmerized, even though he can't fully comprehend all the new sounds, he intuitively grasps that the WC parts are tightly interwoven with the singing, and together take him to a hitherto unknown world, he starts singing along, unknown to himself, and comes back to the real world just as the song ends, ending it with his claps.

Its IR saying you may not immediately comprehend what I'm doing, but believe that you are in safe hands, and you will be enchanted.

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 am

Thanks vicks.Smile

Can you guys spot the opening music in this film? I could not believe it, can you? I believe this film came first and then MurattukaaLai came next in the same year. Anyone listening to the opening music (without watching the visuals) will easily conclude that it is from MK. The tune combined with a different humming, wow, wow wow!

Followed by the title score, another of my favorite song, Vanna Vanna Vanna PoonchOlayil by S Janaki. The whole 7:30 minute of mystical musical experience only from Maestro. Many thanks to Rajesh (RajsMed) for uploading these two rare gems at one go.

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 am

ada AmA, V_S, mama machan song. I hardly remember watching this movie, much less the title music.

Also, someone please institutionalise PA. The man was everywhere!!!

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

V_S wrote:
Can you guys spot the opening music in this film?

Smile

இவ்வளவு ஈசியா எல்லாம் கேள்வி கேக்கப்டாது Smile

Interesting to see rAsa making a concoction of this lovely "loop" with flute and a folk humming (which also occurs in the interlude of the 'Anandham Anandham nee thandhadhu' song of this poottAdha poottukkaL film).

I guess IR works extra hard for the likes of Mahendran. Unfortunately, this movie ran out of the theater within two / three days and rAsA could have got really disappointed. Which is probably why he wanted to re-use it to get wider audience Smile

Me romba romba love mAmEn machchAn Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am

App,
I didn't know MaamEn Machchaan was first composed for Poottaatha PoottukkaL, until I saw this video, hence got excited. Very Happy Did you know about this earlier?

Yes grouch, we need a dedicated thread for PA too. Smile

Last edited by V_S on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am

V_S wrote: Did you know about this earlier?

No, only after seeing this video Smile

poottAdha poottukkaL is perhaps the least-known movie of Mahendran.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 am

How about Mahendran's another movie song? Kannukku Mai Ezhuthu. I was searching youtube for Vanna PoovE from this movie, my most favorite (please don't miss that one, if you haven't heard), but could not find it, instead stumbled upon this video. anbu malargaLin sOlai ithu, beautiful song by S Janaki chEchi. I also love another song by Banumathi amma; Vaada MalliyE all fall under rare genre and rare collections, if I am not wrong. anbu malargaLin sOlai ithu is a sweet simple song. Starts with a single bell sound, flute and then a gush of violins, with piano to end the prelude. Pallavi is very simple, but the sweetness starts from anupallavi and the way Maestro ends it and connects to pallavi.

Typical violin-flute conversation in the interlude (with birds chirping), but the flute takes off in different direction, as if it was not interested in that conversation anymore. Elegant flute melody there which ably joins the charanam. Charanam seems straight-forward, except hear how he tricks the last two lines compared to first two lines to land to pallavi; always a merry to hear. What he does is he introduces a short fifth line (vaazhbavarai vaazhthi selvEn; which is not a complete line), but it connects to the tune of anu-pallavi (last line of charanam) beautifully. Second interlude starts with a bell sound and keyboard mimics the same rhythm. If you listen to the bell sound, it is surprising that it plays the main melody with that intermittent sound, beautiful!. Violins and cellos finish the interlude in grand style.

sorgam ithuvendru solli magizhgindra anbu malargaLin sOlai ithu.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Excellent prelude................... lovley Guitar.......

Audio quality is tooooooooooooooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqGnldudo4Y&list=UUyZyV-Z-za5n1-glIY-xv5A&index=82

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm

A song not to be missed at any cost. With MV sir, the song beats any new offerings till date. kaadhal kiLi kadhai pEsuthu kaadhOram koosuthu from Kalyana KachEri.

There is one more beauty in the same film, yen pEru by S P Shailaja
http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=265096

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:11 pm

I am awestruck by this composition while driving to office. The guitar, choir harmony, trumpets and the syncopation, wow! K J Yesudas going out of the way from his conventional form to deliver this stellar stealer. Drums going bonkers when charanam ends. Lovely tune. You know the lyricist from the words. Wink

idhazhil amudham dhinamum paruga vaa vaa - anbE Odi vaa

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 am

Three songs in IR-PBS combo, all three are rare ones :
thenRalE nee pEsu from kadavuL amaiththa mEdai (sung by PBS): http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1409'&lang=en
Two hindi songs from naNdu (both written by PBS):
kaisE kahoon: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2273'&lang=en
hum hai akElE : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2272'&lang=en

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Yet again another Mahendran sir film song. Following app ji's post on naNdu, I am prompted to post this rare beauty of the song; paaduthamma aatrin alaigaL. Bhupinder Singh is almost perfect in his diction. The song which haunts me in many ways. Please let me know if you have listened to it. Again RajsMed is our savior. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 am

I am overwhelmed by this soundtrack. When I listen to each song, that becomes my favorite. There are two different versions of 'yaar azhuthu yaar thuyaram maarum' one by IR and another by Yesudas. Even though it is the same song conveying the same mood, I could not consider it as the same song and ignore the second version. The reason being even if the moods are same the emotions are different. The temperaments are different. If one shows the dark, another one shows the darker. If one shows hope and light, another doesn’t. Again it is not just one singer showing one emotion totally and another a different one, both shows mixed emotions in every line. I would like to imagine both IR and KJY singing this as a duet each singing each line alternatively displaying alternate emotions. When I get one step further with one’s singing, I get one step backward with another’s singing, resulting in a state that I am at peace.

Gaanam thEn kaatrOdu pOi sollum thoodhu is another song which became my life eventually, but takes my breath away, especially when he says ‘hello madhu’. With the telephone ring, Maestro makes a direct connection with his listeners not just for the director and the film.

gaanam thEn kaatrOdu poI sollum thoodhu
naanum un kai sErum naaLum eppOthu
ninaivil madhu, en kanavil madhu, uNarvil madhu, en uyiril madhu hello hello hello madhu hello hello hello madhu :OMG:

The tempo in the charanam is very slow compared to the pallavi, but hear how he gears up the tempo to reach to pallavi. That guitar second interlude again is only unique to Raja. Please don’t miss that. You might have read solvanam article by Vicky displaying its unique features. This song’s rhythm pattern is based on Jazz Waltz.

vicky wrote:தொண்ணூறுகளில் வெளிவந்த ஒரு பாடலில் இப்படிப்பட்ட ஜாஸ் வால்ட்ஸ் பயன்பாட்டைப் பார்க்கமுடியும். அது ‘கானம் தென்பாண்டிக் காற்றோடு’ என்ற இளையராஜாவே பாடிய பாடல். இப்பாடல் இடம்பெற்ற ‘கண்ணுக்கொரு வண்ணக்கிளி’ என்ற திரைப்படம் வெளியாகவேயில்லை. ஹாலிவுட்டுக்கு அடுத்து அதிக அளவில் திரைப்படங்கள் தயாரிக்கப்படும் நம் இந்தியச்சூழலில் இது சகஜமான ஒன்றுதான் என்றாலும், படம் வெளிவாரமல் போவதால் பல அரிய பாடல்கள் நம் கவனத்திலிருந்து தப்பிவிடுகின்றன என்பதும் வருத்தமளிக்கும் உண்மை. கண்ணுக்கொரு வண்ணக்கிளி திரைப்படத்தின் பாடல்கள் நல்ல தரமான ஒலியில் குறுந்தகடாக வெளியிடப்பட்டதுதான் ஒரே ஆறுதல். இத்திரைப்படத்தின் அனைத்து பாடல்களுமே மிகச்சிறப்பானவை. குறிப்பாக இந்தப் பாடலில், இடையிசையில் வரும் கிடார் வாசிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் விதம் இளையராஜாவின் இசைக்குழுவில் வாசிக்கும் திரு.சதானந்தம் போன்ற இசைக்கலைஞர்களின் உயர்ந்த தரத்தைக் காட்டுகிறது. இவ்வளவு மென்மையாகவும், அதே சமயம் படு வேகமாகவும், acoustic கிடார் மீதான முழு ஆளுமையுடனும் வாசிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் விதம் நம் மொத்த இந்தியத் திரையிசையிலேயே வெகு அரிதுதான்.

Until Vicky wrote that article I was very careless about this soundtrack. I was ashamed of my ignorance, but from then on I never left any song from this soundtrack alone, not just because I have to listen to them, it is because they are intriguing.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm

mikka nanRi V_Sji, for introducing this great song!
Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 pm

BEWARE : Not a great song but has some history to it :

http://rakkamma.com/filmsongdetails.phtml?filmid=617&songid=11990

"takkaru takkaru takkaru takkaru takkaru baby" from the BR movie 'vAlibamE vA vA'.

I've never heard this song before - first time today because rakkamma.com has the youtube!

This was "added to the movie directly" and was possibly not in the disk initially released.

Has the rare distinction of "despite-from-a-1982-BR-film-not-heard-for-30-years-by-app" !

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm

vanathil aadum oru   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9Rbf6dVFU

Poomala ponnukoru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9Rbf6dVFU

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:18 pm

mElam kotta nEram varum poongkodiyE from Lakshmi (1979) by B.S. Sasirekha. It's been decades since I listened to this one. May be last time I heard on radio when I was a kid. Oh my God, can't believe I still remember this song as fresh and young when I first listened. Who else can upload such a rare gem?. Only Rajesh (rajsmed). He has just joined this forum. Warm welcome to him. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

Vani Jayaram's first song for IR. kEttaal kEtta varam from Durga Devi (1977). I am listening to this song after may be 30 years or so (after my childhood days), still I could recognize this song. Such is the soul and it travels across continents so fast, that there is not even a time tag. Smile

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=264695

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 am

Just a shameless little self shout out to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/venki24888/videos mostly trying to upload the best quality audios (that I have) of rare IR songs that are previously not on youtube. Do check them out. Thanks Smile

In fact, seeing this, Rajsmed was encouraged to upload the song with the video of Poongatrile, Paattu Paadava: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mm-l47zXGRs Smile
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:05 pm

VS,

Thanks for the  link. indha paatai radio vil kaettu vittu. padam parka asai pattu ponen..........

en ammavudan dhan padam parka poganam. amma... padam arambitha pinbu dhan poga vendum endru solli
late aga than kooti kondu povar...  indha padamum apadi than ponen.. padam arambithadhu... full padam parthen.
anal.. paatu varavillai......... title song aga vandhu irukum endru ninaikiren.............

indha padam. .actors. kadhai.. ondrum nyabagam varavillai....  so sad..................

kaetal kaeta varam.. Charukesi ragam endru ninaikiren....... ethanai bhavam.. indha IR isaiyil.. Ragangal ellam......

VJ song... Aalukoru asai..   .. adhai than mudhal endru ninaithen.................

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:07 pm

DM,

Thanks a lot for ur Contribution.......... All are Very good audio quality..............

Enakoru annai.. valarthanal ennai...........  audio quality is tooooooooooooooooooooo Good.. Thank u
once again DM.

ENakoru annai.. Kalyani........

ENakul irupadhu......... bhakthiyana Interludes...... adhu IR...... idhuvm Kalyani dhan............ FLute is tooooooo sweet in kalyani.............

DM.. unga theme.. Kalyani ragama..............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Usha wrote:DM,

Thanks a lot for ur Contribution.......... All are Very good audio quality..............

Enakoru annai.. valarthanal ennai...........  audio quality is tooooooooooooooooooooo Good.. Thank u
once again DM.

ENakoru annai.. Kalyani........

ENakul irupadhu......... bhakthiyana Interludes...... adhu IR...... idhuvm Kalyani dhan............ FLute is tooooooo sweet in kalyani.............

DM.. unga theme.. Kalyani ragama..............
Welcome. And you are right Smile upload senjapparam dhaan gavanichEn. 5 pAttu Kalyani ragam. Enakku puducha ragam. Also, blog layum adhu oru theme maari dhaan. maasathula 30 pAttunA, minimum 5 songs will be in Kalyani. Also, upload senja 5 Kalyani raga pAdalgaL la 4 youtube la illa. So, quite glad that folks can now listen.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:53 pm

DM,

Nice.............

Kaatrai konjam nirka sonnen  - kalyani ya............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next