Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

+20
irir123
Manoj Raj
irfan123
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
Drunkenmunk
plum
al_gates
endrum_raja
Usha
kiru
olichudar
jaiganesh
sagi
groucho070
rajkumarc
SenthilVinu
mythila
V_S
app_engine
24 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 7 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm

#63 poondhenRal kAtrE vA vA (manjaL nilA, PJ/PS)

Very soothing, lovely, mild, romantic duet! If you have not listened to this song before (possible for people who weren't youth during early 80's), please listen to this number first :

thiraippAdal: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1963'&lang=en

Though people of current gen may not be familiar with this number - because this was from a forgotten movie featuring Suresh & Ranjani (Oorvashi's sister and not the Singapore girl), the song had its share of radio time, teakkadai time and "recording center" time during my college days. I never knew those days that GA wrote this, though we automatically credited him the other song - 'bussE, bussin kalarE...vA machchee machchee' Laughing (Well, we were correct only Laughing ).

The original "manjaL nilAvukku indRu orE sugam" was sung by the same pair (film - mudhaliravu). I guess that nostalgia prompted IR to call PJ / PS for one song in this 'manjaL nilA' movie. (gangaikkaraiththOttam has this song wrongly credited to Uma Ramanan Shocked One thing that's difficult for me to understand is how can anyone mistake the voice of PS Shocked I've also read another blogger telling that he thought it was Jency Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 7 3325497835 IMNSHO, anyone who cannot identify the unique voice of PS is unfit to call himself/herself a TFM connoisseur!)

GA has many of his keywords (poo to start with, then thenRal, rAgam, kanavu etc). In addition, he used VM's keyword "dhAgam" too Laughing I think GA is the first one to combine Anandham to it here (Anandha dhAgam) as the vA indhappakkam song came a year after. Nevertheless, simple and sweet lines with nothing earth-shattering.

பல்லவி:

பூந்தென்றல் காற்றே வா வா
அதில் சேர்ந்தாடும் பாட்டே வா வா
நெஞ்சம் உனது தஞ்சம் கொஞ்சும் நினைவு மஞ்சம்
ஆனந்த தாகம் தானின்று தீர

சரணம் 1:

தேங்காமல் ஏங்கும் இளமைக்காலம்
எங்கெங்கும் தோன்றும் இனிமைக்கோலம்
என் நெஞ்சின் நினைவில் புதிதோர் ராகம்
என்றென்றும் தொடரும் மனதில் தாகம்
பூவாரமே எந்தன் பொன்னாரமே
நான் பாட நீ வேண்டும் அன்பே

சரணம் 2:

காணாத நெஞ்சம் கனவில் வாழும்
காவேரி போல நினைவில் ஆடும்
கண் மூடும் நேரம் கவிதை பாடும்
கை சேரும்போதும் இதயம் கூடும்
ஏனென்பதோ என்னதான் என்பதோ
நீ சொல்ல வாராததேனோ?

That there's youtube for such songs in itself is a wonder Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 7 Empty Re: Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I guess it's time to make an "adjustment" to many comments in this thread (& the VM thread) w.r.t to the "dhAgam" word alleged as something patented to VM Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I've even told once during the 'andhi varum nEram vandhadhoru rAgam EdhEdhO mOgam, ini theerAdhO dhAgam' song that GA followed his junior VM in the 'dhAgam / mOgam' business.

All those should be corrected with this post :-)

Both VM & GA had simply followed the 'mahA kavi' Bharathiyar :-)

என்று தணியும் எங்கள் சுதந்திர தாகம்
என்று மடியும் எங்கள் அடிமையின் மோகம்

is the ORIGINAL, as far as I could go back! This is a very big miss Embarassed Looks like I've started forgetting many basics...

(Interestingly, this song had also been used in TF, NT's kappalOttiya thamizhan has this song, MD G Ramanathan & sung by Trichy Loganathan)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

#64 kAviriyE kAviriyE (archanaippookkaL, SPB-SJ)

Sweet song, had a simple write-up by me in the SPB-IR thread but jaiganesh wrote a lovely post about it :

jaiganesh wrote:

This is one song where the bass seems to carry the song through all the scales. Sounds so simple, but the intricacies are so tightly packed and concealed like the inji (ginger) and coconut pieces inside a kaarthigai pori urundai. Though not a classical counterpoint, the repartees by first flute, then followed by strings section to the charanam first phrase by singers is a delight - It is a delight because it creates a swift stroke of a country side breeze in one's mental canvas. In the country side, unpolluted and solitary, nature is always in conversation, birds chirping to a breeze, responded by fluttering leaves of a tree. Here a young couple's song resonates with the elements of nature in such a conversation.

Getting back to the rakshasan SPB, that chuckle and sigh in the second charanam is something no ordinary singer can produce - it is possible only from a person who is a singer, actor and a story teller. There are a million meanings in that sigh and chuckle. Only a man in love can decipher
half of those meanings - for the rest of the unfortunate unloved creatures (Read critics) it will appear unfiltered through their monochromatic prism as a simple "konashtai" anyone can do.. Therein lies the power of SPB - to elevate a song from mere chain of notes into a story of a character!!

Later Plum observed this way :

plum wrote:

The santoor sound reminds one of trees on riverbanks.

adhE! adhE! I got to know this song only recently so I have no idea how it is picturised though the lyrics give a clue. The predominant image with the initial santoor pieces is one of a river flowing freely into a falls - and with the birds chirping etc, the imagery invoked is quiet as app mentioned - riverbank, trees, monkeys jumping across, birds chirping. It does vividly create the imagery, doesnt it?

thiraippAdal link: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0307'&lang=en

pAdal varikaL:

பல்லவி

காவிரியே காவிரியே
காதலி போல் விளையாடுறியே
காவியம் ஆயிரம் பாடுறியே
இந்தக்காதலன் நெஞ்சத்தைக் கூடுறியே
ஏங்கும் நெஞ்சம் இங்கே வாடுது

சரணம் 1

பொன்னை அள்ளித்தூவுதே மஞ்சள் நிற மேகம்
என்னை அள்ளிப்போகுதே கொஞ்சுகிற தாகம்
என்னமோ பண்ணுதே இந்த மன வேகம்
அள்ளிக்கொள்ள வந்தேனம்மா அன்பை அள்ளித் தந்தேனம்மா
இனிமே யாவும் நீதானம்மா

(மாறின) பல்லவி:

ஆசை வச்சேன் ஆசை வச்சேன்
அம்மன் கோவிலு பூஜை வச்சேன்
உன்னப் பார்த்தொரு பாசம் வச்சேன்
உன் உள்ளம் பார்த்ததும் நேசம் வச்சேன்
காலம் நேரம் ஒண்ணாச் சேர்ந்தது

சரணம் 2
காதலுக்கு மார்கழி ரொம்ப நல்ல மாதம்
ஹோய் கண்டபடி வீசுதே மல்லியப்பூ வாசம்
கையிலே கையிலே கன்னிப்பொண்ணு பேசும்
புதுசாப் பாடம் சொல்லி மெதுவா என்னை அள்ளி
சுகமா தாங்க வாழ்நாளெல்லாம்

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XHGuVNysI

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm

#65 ArArO ArArO nee vERO nAn vERO (LM in Anand)

It's interesting to note that both the first songs of AB & LM sisters with rAsA got penned by GA Smile We had already hosted sheNbagamE (that had three versions, one of them by AB) as our #50 in this IR-GA exercise. Now, let's include the AB number from the Prabhu movie Anand. GA wrote all the songs it seems (including those two englees ones Embarassed "I want to tell you something, wait a minute" Laughing )

Other than such historical importance (of the legendary LM singing for the first time for rAsA in TF), I didn't find myself attracted too much to this song, even at the time of arrival. There's no question about the popularity of the number (on buses, radio etc) but to me something was missing - sweet song but not great. (BTW, the other ammaNi's song, sheNbagamE is an all-time-fav for me Smile Also, LM's vaLaiyOsai is an all-time-fav too).

Let's listen to the song and look at the pAdal varikaL : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0192'&lang=en

பல்லவி

ஆராரோ ஆராரோ நீ வேறோ நான் வேறோ
தாயாய் மாறி நான் பாட சேய் போல் நீயும் கண்மூட

சரணம் 1:

தென்றல் வந்து சேர்ந்ததென்ன
கண்ணன் உன்னைப்பார்த்ததென்ன
மஞ்சத்தில் கொஞ்சத்தான் மங்கைதான் கெஞ்சத்தான்
அள்ளித்தான் கிள்ளித்தான் காதலன் தான்
அன்னத்தை எண்ணம் போல் வாழவைத்தான்

சரணம் 2:

மாலை சூடும் மாலை நேரம்
மாலை போலக் கூடவேண்டும்
ஏதேதோ மோகம் தான் என்னுள்ளே தாகம் தான்
எத்திக்கும் தித்திக்கும் இசை பிறக்க
மெத்தைக்குள் தத்தை தான் விருந்து வைக்க

The Bharathiyar effect is there in this song too (மோகம் / தாகம்). Otherwise, generally smooth lines for a typical love / romance song. Well, nothing irritating / soththakkadalai at the best Smile As usual, GA goes for safe words and does not try to shock...(While "poovukkuL bhoogambam" kind of shock technology is patented by VM, GA typically chooses the safer path, like "மெத்தைக்குள் தத்தை தான் விருந்து வைக்க" Laughing )

The youtube is good (Prabhu with Radha):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzsOapTgyU

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't know whether this blogger had a chance to look at our thread or not, but interesting to note this comment :

http://rengasubramani.blogspot.com/2013/04/6.html

இளையராஜா - பாரதிராஜா நிகழ்ச்சியை இப்போழுதுதான் பார்த்தேன். பாரதிராஜா பேசியது கொஞ்சம் ஓவர், தனியாக பேச வேண்டியதை மேடையில் பேசி வம்பிழுத்துவிட்டு போய்விட்டார். ராஜாவின் ரியாக்‌ஷன் பார்த்தால் பாவம். வைரமுத்து இல்லாமல் ராஜாவின் இசையின் தரம் குறைந்துவிட்டதா என்ன? பல பாடல்கள் வைரமுத்து என்று நினைத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தேன், அவரில்லை. ஆச்சரியம் அதில் பெரும்பாலானவை கங்கை அமரன். எதிர்பார்க்கவில்லை. வைரமுத்தே சொன்னது போல இனி அவர்கள் கூட்டணி அமைத்தாலும் எடுபடாது என்றே தோன்றுகின்றது. ஹைப்பை ஏற்றி விட்டு ஊத்தி மூடிவிடுவார்கள்.

ஆனால் ராஜாவை பிரிந்தபின் பாரதிராஜா, மணிரத்தினம் படங்கள் ஒரு மாற்று குறைந்துதான் உள்ளது. மணிரத்தினத்தின் படங்களின் பிண்ணனி இசை. அவர் எழுதாமல் விட்ட வசனங்களை ராஜாதான் நிரப்பிக் கொண்டிருந்தார்.

Recently P_R certified in twitter which effectively said that we're doing some decent work to dispel the stupid 'mottai gOpuram' myth...

I think these two threads in this forum will have some kind of TFM-historical-importance in awareness creation...(The IR-GA & IR-VM threads of this forum and associated tweets).

I wish someone famous (i.e. comparable to BR levels) either look at our forum threads or otherwise talk about these facts! It's high time someone does it NOW!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  al_gates Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 am

Discovered this thread after googling for "app_engine tamil song", read it in one full sitting. Like this, like this, taking one one topic or artist in TFM, then discovering and detailing their hidden works in the form of a Konar Guide is all athupidi for app_engine. tongue

al_gates

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 am

al_gates,
Smile
This "kOnar notes" is courtesy musicalaya.net Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

#66 vidhaiththa vidhai (eththanai kOnam eththanai pArvai, DC-BSS)

Saravanan wrote in detail about this movie / song in dhool.com, explaining how it became a regular in IOKS radio even though the (Bhimsingh) Lenin directed movie never got released (malarndhum malarAdhavai):

http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8128

Unfortunately, thiraippAdal does not have the whole song (truncated to < 2 min). Interestingly, V_Sji (I think) had uploaded the darbAri kAnada song's audio to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKAaQcNwNOs

I've mentioned often about my Thanjavur hostel mate HCIRF who used to get the new releases recorded without fail. He had this album in his TDK cassette and this lovely song got listened to a lot many times at hostel!

GA has written simple but effective pAdal varikaL in such a way not to disturb the beauty of the lovely, lovely melody :

பல்லவி:

விதைத்த விதை தளிராய் எழுந்து
அரும்பி வரும் பொழுது
ஆசை அலை தினமும் எழுந்து
ஆடிவரும் மனது

சரணம் 1:

காலங்கள் செய்கின்ற கோலங்கள் புதிது
நாளொன்றும் உள்ளத்தின் எண்ணங்கள் புதிது
பாதை இரண்டு பயணம் இரண்டு
போனால் என்ன மனம்தானே ஒன்று
போகும் பாதை அது சேரும் இன்று
வேறென்ன நாம் சொல்வது

சரணம் 2:

பூவாக பிஞ்சாகக் காயாகும் நினைவு
பூந்தென்றல் காற்றோடு வந்தாடும் கனவு
நாளும் வரவு சேரும் உறவு
மேலும் மேலும் பல காதல் கோலம்
தோன்றும் காலம் இது காதல் காலம்
ஆனந்தம் ஆனந்தமே

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 pm

#67 ANenna peNNenna (SPB, dharmadurai)

We haven't posted very many thaththuva stuff (well, GA didn't write that many anyways). This one is a decent sample in that genre and predates all those Rajini brand thaththuva songs that came in the "post-1992" era, like the "kikku ERudhE" stuff Laughing

Including this just to showcase that GA could do such stuff too when called for (we already have a much better sample in "uRavugaL thodarkathai" anyways, this one is in a simpler language for mass appeal)...

pAdal varigaL : http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0634'&lang=en

பல்லவி:

ஆணென்ன பெண்ணென்ன நீயென்ன நானென்ன எல்லாம் ஓரினம் தான்
அட நாடென்ன வீடென்ன காடென்ன மேடென்ன எல்லாம் ஓர் நிலம் தான்
நீயும் பத்து மாசம் நானும் பத்து மாசம் மாறும் இந்த வேஷம்

சரணம் 1:

ஒண்ணுக்கொண்ணு ஆதரவு உள்ளத்திலே ஏன் பிரிவு
கண்ணுக்குள்ள பேதம் இல்லே பார்ப்பதிலே ஏன் விரிவு
பொன்னு பொருள் போகும் வரும் அன்பு மட்டும் போவதில்லை
தேடும் பணம் ஓடிவிடும் தெய்வம் விட்டுப் போவதில்லை

மேடைக்கும் மாலைக்கும் கோடிக்கும் ஆசைப்பட்டு
வெட்டுக்கள் குத்துக்கள் ரத்தங்கள் போவதென்ன
இதைப்புரிஞ்சும் உண்மை தெரிஞ்சும் இன்னும் மயக்கமா?

சரணம் 2:

சொந்தம் பந்தம் சேர்ந்திருந்தா சொத்து சுகம் தேவையில்லே
பந்தம் விட்டுப் போச்சுதுன்னா வாழ்வதிலே லாபம் இல்லே
எண்ணம் மட்டும் சேர்ந்திருந்தா இன்றும் என்றும் சோகம் இல்லே
கன்றை விட்டுத் தாய் பிரிஞ்சு காணும் சுகம் ஏதுமில்லே

ஊருக்கும் பேருக்கும் காருக்கும் இஷ்டப்பட்டு
வாழ்கின்ற வாழ்க்கைக்கு என்றென்றும் அர்த்தமில்லே
இதைப்புரிஞ்சும் உண்மை தெரிஞ்சும் இன்னும் மயக்கமா?

youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Hlt4XK3Aw

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 pm

#68 vanamellAm sheNbagappoo (nAdOdippAttukkAran, SPB)

We've featured this lovely song in the SPB-IR series of the hub here ! It's appropriate that the song with a "flowery" pallavi (செண்பகப்பூ, குங்குமப்பூ, செந்தாழம்பூ) is included in this GA thread.

Didn't we read in the early part of this thread about how the industry calls him 'pookkavingar'? Well, it appears like he wanted to remind people of such reputation in the year 1992 and came up with this kind of pallavi Smile Interestingly, he also continues thru out the song flooding the variety of 'poo's (much like the aththikkAy kAy kAy & pArththEn siriththEn pakkam varaththudiththEn songs of the prior era).

Once again, one cannot help but appreciate how the words smoothly sit on a lovely themmAngu melody without any irritation / disturbance / need for "shock-absorber" etc.! I think GA truly got that part of the heritage from kaviyarasar!

Look at the pAdal varigaL: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2169'&lang=en

பல்லவி :

வனமெல்லாம் செண்பகப்பூ வானெல்லாம் குங்குமப்பூ
தென்பொதிகைக் காற்றினிலே செந்தாழம்பூ
நல்லவங்க வாழ்க்கைக்கெல்லாம் சாமி தானே காப்பு
நாமெல்லாம் தெய்வப்படைப்பு!

சரணம் 1:

ஆத்தோரம் பூங்கரும்பு காத்திருக்கும் சிறு எறும்பு அக்கரையில் ஆயிரம் பூப்பூ, பூ!
பூத்திருக்கு தாமரைப்பூ பொன்னிறத்துக் காஞ்சிரம்பூ புத்தம் புது பூஞ்சிரிப்பு டாப்பு!
எப்போதும் மாராப்பு எடுப்பான பூந்தோப்பு எண்ண எண்ண எங்கும் தித்திப்பூப்பு
ஒட்டாத ஊதாப்பூ உதிராத வீராப்பு வண்ண வண்ண இன்பம் ரெட்டிப்பூப்பு
வழி முழுதும் வனப்பு எனக்கழைப்பு புதுத்தொகுப்பு வகுப்பு கணக்கெடுப்பு!

சரணம் 2:

கெட்டவர்க்கு மனம் இரும்பு நல்லவரை நீ விரும்பு எல்லோர்க்கும் வருவதிந்த மூப்பு
ஏழைகளின் நல்லுழைப்பு என்ன இங்கு அவர் பிழைப்பு வாழ்வு வரும் என்று எதிர்பார்ப்பு
வீணாக இழுக்கும் வம்பு வினையாகும் கைகலப்பு விட்டு விடு சின்னத்தம்பி ஏய்ப்பு
கையோடு எடு சிலம்பு கலந்தாட நிமிர்ந்தெழும்பு கையில் வரும் நல்ல நல்ல வாய்ப்பு
விறுவிறுப்பு இருக்கு சுறுசுறுப்பு, அருவருப்பு ஒதுக்கு வரும் சிறப்பு!

Some motivational / advice kind of stuff embedded but it doesn't stand in a "thruththikkittu nikkuRa" manner. Sugar coated / packaged very well (obviously IR & SPB the major contributors on that aspect but the words too decently jell).

Youtube link (padu sumAr kwality):

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm

#69 madhura marikkozhundhu vAsam (enga ooru pAttukkAran, KSC-Mano)

We need to follow-up that poo-poo song with a maNam song and this one happens to be from a GA directed film in which he wrote all songs. There's another connection to yesterday's song, both are from 'pAttukkAran' movies Embarassed We've talked enough about grAmarAjan / pasu etc during sheNbagamE that came as #50.

The song is definitely in nAttuppuRa language but the pallavi is clearly sophisticated - comparing the lover's affection to a sweet fragrance! The uvamai is quite interesting as these two elements (vAsam & nEsam) are obviously no 1-1 match materially or directly. This form of comparison is based on the "effect" they have on the object.

Much like what a lovely fragrance can impact a person experiencing it, so can be the effect of powerful affection showered upon someone - both can make one feel elated!

Let's look at the pAdal varikaL, that happened to have a folk song prelude, depicting the 'mAviLakku' celebration present in village sAmi-gumbidu each year:

தொகையறா

பச்சரிசி மாவிடிச்சு மாவிடிச்சு மாவிடிச்சு
சக்கரையில் பாவுவெச்சு பாவுவெச்சு பாவுவெச்சு
சுக்கிடிச்சு மெளகிடிச்சு மெளகிடிச்சு மெளகிடிச்சு
பக்குவமா கலந்துவெச்சு கலந்துவெச்சு கலந்துவெச்சு
அம்மனுக்கு மாவிளக்கு எடுத்துவந்தோம் எடுத்துவந்தோம்
அம்மனவ எங்களயும் காக்கவேணும் காக்கவேணும் தாயே!

பல்லவி

மதுர மரிக்கொழுந்து வாசம்
என் ராசாத்தி உன்னுடைய நேசம்
மானோட பார்வை மீனோட சேரும்
மாறாம என்னைத் தொட்டுப் பேசும்
இது மறையாத என்னுடைய பாசம்

சரணம் 1:

பொட்டுன்னா பொட்டு வச்சு வெட்டு வெட்டுன்னு வெட்டிப்புட்டு
பட்டுனு சேலையைக் கட்டி எட்டு வச்சு நடந்துகிட்டு
கட்டுன்னா கட்டிப்புட்ட நெஞ்சக் கொஞ்சம் தட்டிப்புட்ட
வெட்டும் இரு கண்ணை வச்சு என்னைக் கட்டிப் போட்டுப்புட்ட

கட்டு அது உனக்கு மட்டும்தானா இந்த சிட்டும்கூட சிக்கியது ஏனா
எப்போதோ விட்ட குறை மாமா அது இரு உசிரை கட்டுதய்யா தானா
இது இப்போது வாட்டுதுன்னு பாட்டு ஒன்னை அவுத்துவிடு

பல்லவி (ராசாத்தி > ராசாவே)

மதுர மரிக்கொழுந்து வாசம்
என் ராசாவே உன்னுடைய நேசம்

சரணம் 2:

மெட்டுன்னா மெட்டுக்கட்டி இட்டுக்கட்டி பாடிக்கிட்டு
கட்டுனா ராகம் என்னும் மாலை ஒன்னைக் கட்டிப்புட்டு
சுத்துனா சுத்தி அதை என் கழுத்தில் போட்டுப்புட்ட
ஒன்ன மட்டும் விட்டுப்புட்ட தாலி கட்ட மறந்துப்புட்ட

நீதானே என்னுடைய ராகம் என் நெஞ்செல்லாம் உன்னுடைய தாளம்
ஏழேழு ஜென்மம் உன்னைப் பாடும் உன்னோட பாட்டுக்காரன் பாட்டும்
என் மனசேனோ கிறங்குதடி சிறகடிச்சுப் பறக்குதடி

The youtube is quite funny (BTW, thiraippAdal does not work for me today):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI7QEd9juKA

The slang is quite interesting - this should be correctly interpreted as to the "prevailing language" of the countryside people in 80's (and not something of 60's with that "kAdhu vaLarththa" village thongattAn ladies of BR movies). GA does proper justice to the mileau! Of course, all his rAgam, thALam, pAttu kind of keywords are present in this smooth-flowing themmAngu Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm

#70 inimEl nALum iLangAlai dhAn (iravauppookkaL, SJ)

A sweet joy ride of a song with nice singiing by SJ and pleasant melody / orch by rAsA. Till recently, I didn't even know the name of the movie but enjoyed the song many times during the bus rides in the Cbe / Pollachi area those days. The vinyl thread informed me of the movie's name (and reminded another gem 'malli malli cheNdu malli' which happens to be from this movie too).

Here's the youtube of the song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzd31yE2KPM

The name of the movie, the pAdal varikaL and the video all suggest the song to be sung by a pAliyal thozhilALi who hopes to get out of the trade and into mainstream life. That's where the beauty of GA's lines get manifested Smile

பல்லவி

இனிமேல் நாளும் இளங்காலை தான்
எனையும் கூடும் மணமாலை தான்
என்றும் வசந்தம் என் காதல் சொந்தம் கை கூடும்

சரணம் 1

பெண் என்று வாழாமல் பிழையாய் வாழ்ந்தேன்
கண் காண முடியாத பிறையாய்த்தேய்ந்தேன்
நீ வந்த நேரம் நீங்காத பாரம்
சருகாய்க்காய்ந்து மெழுகாய்த்தேய்ந்து போகும் என் பாவம் இந்நேரம்

சரணம் 2

என் பாட்டின் ஆதாரம் உந்தன் ராகம்
என் ராக அலங்காரம் உந்தன் தாளம்
இசையாக நாளும் இணைகின்ற கோலம்
வளர்பிறையாக வளரும் காலம் கீதம் சங்கீதம் சந்தோஷம்

It nicely pours out the feelings of such a woman, the relief / jubilation / looking-forward, all the feelings are capsuled in just that first line "இனிமேல் நாளும் இளங்காலை தான்" by the poet who loves mornings Smile Then there comes more explanatory lines with similies metaphors etc with words tailor-made for the melody, without any uruththal-thuruththal!

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:58 pm

#71 un nenjaththottu sollu (rAjAthi rAja, PS/KSC)

Another sweet song written by GA that didn't have on-screen presence. It's possible the director felt this one to be too melodramatic for a fun movie (that too featuring double Rajini). A female-duet could even be thought of as "sentimentally" dangerous (i.e. someone could have "warned" them after the release of the album as to the fate of the Rajini movie that had 'kaNNukkuLLE yArO' Laughing)

In any case, the song became popular on its own in the later part of 80's without a video version. GA has nicely inserted some word play amidst the clearly folkish lines. (The வேடிக்கை - வாடிக்கை thingy is interesing even though the idea is borrowed from the famous thangappadhakkam song - சாமி முன்னாடி வேடிக்கை நடத்துவாங்க பாத்திருக்கேன், ஆனா இங்க சாமியே வேடிக்கை நடத்துதே = தெய்வமே கலங்கி நின்னா Laughing )

Look at the pAdal varikaL :

பல்லவி:

உன் நெஞ்சத்தொட்டுச்சொல்லு என் ராசா, என் மேல் ஆசை இல்லையா?
வானம் தான் சாட்சி இதுக்கு, பூமி தான் சாட்சி இதுக்கு!

சரணம் 1:

தண்ணிக்குள்ளே முக்குளிச்சு முத்து ஒன்னு எடுத்ததென்ன
தனிச்சிருந்து சூடையிலே தவறி அது விழுந்ததென்ன
கோயிலிலே சாமி முன்னே வேடிக்கை தான் நடக்குமம்மா
சாமியுந்தான் எனக்கு இங்கே வேடிக்கை தான் நடத்துதம்மா
நல்ல காதலுக்கு இது வாடிக்கையா?

சரணம் 2:

தாகத்திலே சிப்பி ஒன்னு தண்ணிக்குள்ளே மிதக்குதம்மா
மேகத்திலே நீர் குடிக்க நீருக்குள்ளே தவிக்குதம்மா
ஆயிரம் பேர் ஊருக்குள்ளே, ஆம்பிளைங்க இங்கில்லையா?
ஆயிரமும் உனக்கிணையா? எனக்கு அது வழித்துணையா?
இந்தக்கேள்விக்கு நீ ஒரு பதிலைச்சொல்லு!

I love that முக்குளிச்சு word which is 100% a village term in TN and many in cities possibly didn't know what it means. There's a bird called "முக்குளிப்பான்" which used to visit our village kuLam on some seasons in 100's and it's a treat to watch them sink into the water and come out to the surface after a while Smile Yes, that term means "deep dive" (முக்குளிச்சு = முழுவதுமாக மூழ்கி / முங்கிக் குளிச்சு)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrChzXWX3s

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 pm

#72 kaNgaL reNdum sandham solla (unakkAgavE vAzhgiREn, MV-SJ)

Remember BRangan's blog on his 1:1 session with Gautam, prior to NEPV audio release? BRangan listened to 'kAtraikkonjam niRkachchonnEn' and wrote that it sounded like 'kaNgaL reNdum sandham solla', a song GA penned years back for the Sivakumar-Nadhiya movie (remake of Malayalam Shyama *ing Mammootty / Nadhiya).

Yes, the sandham and the rhythm pattern is similar for both. In fact, there's another illustrious song that is chronologically sandwiched between these two - the glorious 'aruNa kiraNa' of Malayalam Guru! Though that does not have exactly similar sandhams, the rhythm pattern is so similar that my mind automatically plays aruNa kiraNa when Karthik sings 'kAtRaikkonjam niRkachchonnEn' (pls excuse my untrained language "rhythm pattern", I may be technically incorrect here but there's some complicated thALam business that is common to all these three songs).

The pAdal varigaL are very "typical romantic cinema duet" stuff and showcases how GA can easily throw in words / phrases to manufacture a movie song however complicated the melody / rhythm / sandham business gets thrown at him by his bro Smile What I personally like about it is there are no "uruththal" words / phrases that give soththakkadalai feeling ('kAychchAdha pAl' and such, for e.g. Laughing )

பல்லவி:

கண்கள் ரெண்டும் சந்தம் சொல்ல
காதல் என்னும் சொந்தம் கொள்ள
மாலை ஆனதே வேளை ஆனதே
காதல் என்பது ஜீவனானது தேவி கைகளில் தேவனானது (தேவன் கைகளில் தேவியானது)

சரணம் 1:

நாளும் எந்தன் வானம் தன்னில் காதல் என்னும் ஆனந்தம்
நாளை என்ன காலம் தன்னில் கூடும் நாள் வரும்
தேகம் என்ற மேடை தன்னில் நாடகங்கள் ஆரம்பம்
தேவியோடு தேவன் ஆடும் ஜீவ காவியம்
கூடாமல் இனி நாள் என்ன? நீ இன்றி இனி நான் என்ன?
தூங்கவில்லையே தாங்கவில்லையே கூறவில்லையே சேரவில்லையே

சரணம் 2:

தேவலோகம் தேவையில்லை இங்கு அந்த சொர்க்கங்கள்
தேவபானம் தேவை இல்லை போதும் முத்தங்கள்
தேகம் என்ற மஞ்சம் தன்னில் மோகம் என்ற முத்துக்கள்
மூழ்கி இன்று சேர்த்துக்கொண்டேன் காதல் சொத்துக்கள்
ஏந்துங்கள் அதில் நீந்துங்கள் மோகங்கள் பரிமாறுங்கள்
காணும்போதெல்லாம் கூடவேண்டுமே காதல் ராகமே பாடவேண்டுமே

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 02, 2013 9:37 pm

#73 thenna maraththula thenRaladikkudhu (Latchumi / Lakshmi, IR-PS)

Possibly the first duet song recorded by IR the singer (definitely the first duet with PS but not sure if this one or sAmakkOzhi / unakkenaththAnE innEramA got recorded first). Per anbu's chart, the music album released in 1978 and the movie in 1979. I remember listening to the song from IOKS for many months prior to hearing it on AIR. (AIR's policy those days was playing songs from "released movies" only, unless it was for a vividh bharathi viLambaradhArar program).

High speed roller-coaster song necessitating a lot of words / phrases that fall கச்சிதமா in place and GA had done a lovely, commendable job. In addition, the country lingo is sweetly maintained without compromising the central theme of the song. Three saranams each with "more than usual no of words" and GA had effortlessly provided them, that too with enough rhyming / edhukai mOnai etc. Terrific achievement!

I don't think the song had video - possibly not picturized and the youtube has only audio :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhbdZ8jqdI

Update Jun-2016, someone hosted the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCL4jGJwsHc

V_Sji posted about this in his IR-Duets series @the hub. On the pAdal varigaL, it's interesting to note the "சின்னமணிக்குயிலே" word that GA reused in AKK (the #60 of this thread)...

பல்லவி:

தென்ன மரத்துல தென்றலடிக்கிது நந்தவனக்கிளியே அடியே புன்னவனக்குயிலே
நான் தெனந்தோறும் ரசிச்சாலும் தெகட்டாது பசிக்காது
சின்னமணிக்குயிலே அடியே உன்ன நெனைக்கயிலே
(பெண் குரலில் : சின்னமணிக்குயிலே தெனமும் உன்ன நெனக்கையிலே)

சரணம் 1:

கன்னம் செவக்குது எண்ணம் தவிக்கிது உன்ன நெனைக்கயிலே இதமா என்ன அணைக்கயிலே
கண்ணு சிமிட்டுது என்ன வெரட்டுது மெல்ல சிரிக்கையிலே நீதான் என்ன ரசிக்கையிலே
உள்ளம் சிலிர்க்குது மின்னி சொலிக்கிது கட்டிப்புடிக்கயிலே நெசமா கையப்புடிக்கயிலே
இது அணச்சாலும் கொறயாது அழிச்சாலும் மறையாது
சொல்லத் தெரிஞ்சிருந்தும் அத நான் சொல்ல முடியலையே

சரணம் 2:

பட்டுக்கவுத்துல முத்து தெரியுது பொண்ணு சிரிக்கையிலே அழகு கண்ணப்பறிக்கயிலே
தொட்டு தழுவுன்னு சொல்லி அழைக்கிது இந்த மனசினிலே ரெண்டும் சின்ன வயசினிலே
விட்டு விலகுன்னு வெட்கம் தடுக்குது போக முடியலையே எனக்கு ஏதும் புரியலையே
நான் பாய் போட்டுப்படுத்தாலும் பாலாகக்குடிச்சாலும்
தூக்கம் புடிக்கலையே எனக்கு ஏதும் ருசிக்கலையே

சரணம் 3:

சின்னஞ்சிருசுக கொஞ்சிக்குலவுது அந்திப்பொழுதினிலே ஊஞ்சல் ஆல விழுதினிலே
கன்னி வயசுல பொண்ணு சிரிக்கிது என்ன சுகம் அதிலே நெனச்சு ஏங்கித் தவிப்பதிலே
இன்ப நெனப்புல வெந்து தவிக்கிது பட்டப்பகலினிலே கொளுத்தும் உச்சி வெயிலினிலே
இது தானாக ஆறாது தழுவாமத்தீராது
ஒண்ணும் புரியலியே புரிஞ்சும் சொல்ல தெரியலையே

What a joy ride of a song this one is!

Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 7 2798411019

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 pm

app,
ella post um padichindu iruken. neraiya paatu. enaku acharyam. GA nu. really Great Thread.............. pl do ur great service app...............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 pm

nanRi UshakkA!

Please feel free to share your opinion & experiences on these songs as well!

You probably have a story to tell for each of those old songs Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 pm

#74 sevvaraLiththOttaththula onna nenachchE (IR/UR, Bagavathipuram Railway Gate)

A lovely, sweet themmAngu in the voices of rAsA and Uma Ramanan penned by GA for this obscure movie. sankarAbharaNam Rajalakshmi is on screen for the song:

Actually, one need not look at the video at all to get transported to a south TN village that has this sevvaraLiththOttangaL! The melody, the singing and the lyrics do that job effortlessly.

பல்லவி

செவ்வரளித்தோட்டத்தில ஒன்ன நெனச்சு
தேடிக்கிட்டுப் பாடுதைய்யா இந்த மனசு
அக்கம்பக்கம் யாருமில்ல ஆளுங்க அரவமில்ல
சுத்தும் முத்தும் பாக்கையிலே துடிப்பும் மடங்குதில்லே

சரணம் 1:

கொட்டுகிற அருவியிலே குளிக்கிற குருவிகளே
பட்டுடம்பு நனையையிலே பசிக்குது மனசினிலே
பொன்னுடம்பப்பாக்கையிலே போதையும் தீரவில்லே அன்னமே!
வெக்கம் அது ஒங்களுக்கில்லே வெக்கம் மறந்தாப் பொம்பள இல்லே
ஆசைய சொல்ல நெனச்சேன் சொல்லாமத்தான் விட்டேனே!

இடையிசையில் நாட்டுப்புறப்பாடல்:

ஆறு அலை ஓயாதம்மா ஆசை அது தேயாதம்மா
வாடைபட்டு நின்னாளம்மா வாசம் பட்ட பூவாட்டம்
மனசுல கொண்டாட்டம் மலருற செண்டாட்டம்
ஆறு அலை ஓயாதம்மா ஆசை அது தேயாதம்மா

சரணம் 2:

ஒன்னுக்கொன்னு உறவிருந்தா நெஞ்சுக்கொரு சுகமிருக்கும்
சொந்தத்தில பலமிருந்தா சொர்க்கத்திலும் எடமிருக்கும்
ஒன்னவிட யாருமில்லே உத்தரவு தேவையில்லே என்னைய்யா
என்னமோ சொல்ல நெனச்சேன் என்னத்தொட்டதும் சொல்ல மறந்தேன்
எண்ண என்ன எண்ணமிருக்கோ எல்லாத்திலும் நீ தானே!

I remember writing somewhere about the sevvaraLiththottam of my aththai in a village not for away from where I grew up. Well, it was not close either - I had to travel by two "town buses" and then walk a mile to reach the place. It was in that village I had the opportunity to watch the "whole time period of sAmi-kumbidu" those days (means starting with moLappAri to the finale of gruesome 'kadA vettu' when each family brings their ram to the temple to "take care of it" before the communion meal.

It had everything in-between, for a couple of weeks - theechchatti, manjaththaNNi, mA viLakku and such full suite of rituals in full swing!). While I was a confused observer of all those, with the noise and crowd that went with it - leaving lasting impressions on me, there was also this sweet little thOttam that left such pleasant memories indelible in my mind!

It had bull-driven well water irrigation. (Me and cousins used to also jump into the well and spend hours inside). Some lovely coconut trees, guava trees, mango trees, turmeric plants and other vegetable cultivation (avarai, veNdai, mochchai kinds).

Then there was this few rows of sevvaraLi plants! WOW! I used to join the family in collecting the flower...that was one very enjoyable part of my visits to their place! It was collected as "mottu" and shipped in that state to the market, right in time to become a flower for other purposes. If it "flowers" on the plant, the farmer could not sell it and had to use it locally Embarassed

This song definitely takes me there, I can hear the birds chirping, breeze caressing my face as I stand near the sevvaraLichchedi and enjoy the overall fragrance of the thOttam - not just from this plant but every vegetation around...what a wonderful feeling!

Last edited by app_engine on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

#75 thavikkudhu thayangudhu oru manasu (nadhiyaththEdi vandha kadal, JC-SPS)

Perhaps the last duet for JJ on-screen. I've recently had a chance to revisit dhool.com pages featuring songs from the movie and this song is authenticated by none other than Saravanan to be a GA-written one, which is as good as seeing the vinyl Smile (Unfortunatly, this vinyl is missing from musicalaya website).

Let me give below the couple of dhool links that talk about this song and another SPS number (poonthOttam) from the same movie :

Udhaya writing about the song : http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6402

Saravanan's article about the album : http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3786

Saravanan wrote:

Though the film was a massive flop, IR’s work therein came in for appreciation. The album had 4 songs: ‘thavikkuthu thayanguthu’ (JC & SPS/ Gangaiamaran), ‘engEyO yEtho’ (SPB & PS/ Panju Arunachalam), ‘vaaratha kaalangaL’ (PS & SPS/PA) and ‘poonthOttam’ (SPS/ Kannadasan). Interestingly, IR had assigned PS for 'Fadafat' Jayalakshmi and Shailaja for Jayalalitha.

The song is an all-time favourite to me, for rAsA music (terrific interludes, racy melody, lovely orch). The first line had always been a pulse-raiser and now I know it was by GA Smile The whole pallavi is simply youthful, generating 'inam puriyAdha uNarvukaL' and GA deserves due credit for the song! (One can see that some people in that thread didn't have good words to say about the lyrics, which I feel is biased and such people wrote so because it was GA. enna oru bias Mad ).

Look at the lines :

பல்லவி

தவிக்குது தயங்குது ஒரு மனது
தினம் தினம் தூங்காமலே ஒரு சுகம் காணமலே
அது தொடர்ந்து எனைப்படர்ந்து
ஏதோ சொல்கின்றது மனம எங்கோ செல்கின்றது!

சரணம் 1:

ஏதோ ஒன்று நெஞ்சிலே எழுந்ததென்ன உன்னிலே
எங்கோ சென்ற கண்ணிலே ஏக்கம் என்ன பெண்ணிலே
மலர்ந்திடாத ஆசையே மலருகின்ற நேரமே
எண்ணிய சுகம் என்னுடன் வரும்
கனியிதழ் சுவை தனில் காதல் நீராடு

சரணம் 2:

பொங்கும் ஆசை ஆற்றிலே நனைந்ததெந்தன் உள்ளமே
எங்கும் இன்ப வெள்ளமே எழுந்து பாய்ந்து செல்லுமே
தோன்றுகின்ற தாகமே தொடருகின்ற காலமே
பார்ப்பதில் சுகம் பல வித ரகம்
பசிக்கொரு உணவெனப் பாவை நீ வா வா

சரணம் 3:

கங்கை கொண்ட சோழனின் கனவில் வந்த தேவியே
மங்கை எந்தன் வாழ்விலே மன்னன் நீயும் பாதியே
சிலையைப் போன்ற தோற்றமே தினமும் என்னை வாட்டுமே
இன்னிசை சுகம் என் வசம் தரும்
இரவிலும் பகலிலும் மீட்ட நீ வா வா

Listen to the song here (no video can be found anywhere on the web, people are possibly scared of watching that JJ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhVXzN9gWo

Update - June 2016, video is now on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iyDV3Tk1M

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 pm

#76 nandhavanam pooththirukkudhu (SPB, illam)

Time for a SPB song Smile One that we duly covered in the SPB-IR thread days as #280 Smile

Let's look at the sweet-sounding lines (the person who sings is sincere, though I believe it is for a comical situation in the movie, taking Amala's face expressions as an indicator) :

தொகையறா

அழகென்ற விருந்து வைத்தாள் இயற்கை அன்னை
அதைப்பாடப் படைத்துவிட்டாள் கவிஞன் என்னை
இளகாத இள மனதை இளக வைத்து
இன்பத்தை என்னோடு தவழ வைத்து

பல்லவி

நந்தவனம் பூத்திருக்குது அடி அம்மாடி
வண்டு வந்து ஆடிப்பாடத்தான்
தென்றல் வந்து சேர்ந்திருக்குது அடி அம்மாடி
சொந்தமென்று சொல்லிக்கொள்ளத்தான்

சரணம் 1:

பூவோடு பூங்காற்று பூபாளம் பாடாதோ அது ஏனம்மா
புரியாதோ என் கேள்வி பதில் சொல்லக்கூடாதோ நீதானம்மா
பச்சைப்பசும் புல்வெளி முத்துமணி நீர்த்துளி
ஒன்றை ஒன்று கூடிக்கொண்டாடும் அது அன்புக்கு விளக்கம்
ஒட்டிக்கொண்டு நாளும் பண்பாடும்
உறவினில்தான் உலகிருக்கும் புரிந்தால் அதில் எனக்கொடு பலன் கிடைக்கும்

சரணம் 2:

கண் மூடித்தூங்காமல் கனவொன்று கண்டேனே அதை என்னென்பேன்
சொல்லாமல் புரியாமல் தடுமாறி நின்றேனே அதை என்னென்பேன்
காக்கிச்சட்டைக்குள்ளேயும் ஆசை மனம் உள்ளது
சொல்லிக்கொள்ளும் வார்த்தை எல்லாமே
மனச்சிறையினில் இருக்கு சிக்கிக்கொண்டு நானும் நின்றேனே
திறப்புவிழா நடந்துவிட்டால் மனமும் தினம் வானத்தில் பறந்திருக்கும்

One has to look at the somewhat unusual way the melody travels in the saraNam. Though the IR-GA combo repeats a line in the middle (possibly to fit into the movie's requirements), the lines are otherwise quite nicely assembled to the somewhat-uncoventional-melody! (If you disagree, please simply look at the lyrics above and try to form your own melody, you'll understand it's not easy Wink In other words, it doesn't fit into some of the standard patterns that we got used to in "average" songs!)

That way, GA was given a relatively difficult task by the maestro but he lived up to the challenge IMHO. Well, this is not the first time - I'm sure rAsA gave many such experimental stuff to his younger brother who also happened to be a musician and could appreciate the beauty of the tune, before letting his imagination supply with appropriate words and phrases!

To listen to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVnVH_EmPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KaxLcziV5w

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

app,
Thanks for ur permission..... Smile ovoru paatukum oru kadhai iruku dhan ..........

Nandhavanam poothirukudhu.. indha paatai.. tfmpage ku vandha pudhusu. yaraiyum theiryadhu..... apo indha paatai
nalla iruku nu sollikitanga.... andha time.. IR songs ku.. .pudhusu pudhusua link pottu... adhil ennai support seidhadhai maraka mudiyadhae app............apo ellam paatu ellam easy aga kedaikadhu.... enna paatu idhu nu paatu kaetu
thindadindu irundhen. apo dhan neenga.. paatai download seidhu kolla link kodutheenga. apram dhan thookam vandhadhu......

andha link .. paatoda quality romba nalla irundhadhu app............. ipo indha link.. quality nalla ilai.....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 09, 2013 12:11 am

nanRi Usha chEchi, for the recap Smile

Yes, this audio quality isn't very good. Unfortunately, thiraipaadal.com is no longer in service Sad

There may be possibly other better versions on the web if one searches - but மெனக்கெடலை Embarassed

Please feel free to comment on other songs too - we've already collected 75+ on this thread, all GA-written hit songs under IR's baton!

Though there are many more hit songs in the combo, I may probably run till #100 and stop...enough to showcase the underappreciated talent IMHO...I'll also list / briefly mention other patti-thotti-hit songs (which unfortunately had some not-so-desirable elements and won't let me write in detail about them Smile )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 am

#77 kudagu malaikkAtRil varum pAttukkEkkudhA (karagAttakkAran, KSC-Mano)

thalaivan-thalaivi pirindha "pAlaiththiNai" songs are very common in both Thamizh litt and TFM. Part and parcel of the culture it appears Laughing While typical ones (majority) are solo songs, duet songs are not rare either. Such duets often feature one of the partners starting the song with pulambal and the other joining later (replying / consoling etc).

This song is of that kind, nicely sitting on a cinematic setting. Since the movie was more of a fun type (or fun being the strong point of the film), the "serious" portions didn't create much "emotions" with me during any of the watches. Fortunately, songs always came to the rescue of the director - as otherwise the movie couldn't have clicked. Who knows, it could've even become a laughing stock Wink

GA did both directing & song-writing for the movie (already told in the posts of indha mAn & mAnguyilE). He does a neat job with this pirivuththuyar song also. Right from sanga ilakkiyam, this 'மறந்தால் தானே நினைக்க' business keeps coming up. Interestingly, Valluvar had used this phrase in a oodal situation Laughing Look at this kuRaL :

உள்ளினேன் என்றேன்மற் றென்மறந்தீர் என்றென்னைப்
புல்லாள் புலத்தக் கனள்.

And there are a bunch of pozhippurai for this in a blog of the book :

http://www.thirukkural.com/2009/04/blog-post_1790.html

Let me post mu-ka urai & the English pozhippurai given there :

கலைஞர் உரை:
உன்னை நினைத்தேன் என்று காதலியிடம் சொன்னதுதான் தாமதம்; அப்படியானால் நீர் என்னை மறந்திருந்தால்தானே நினைத்திருக்க முடியும்? எனக்கேட்டு ஏன் மறந்தீர்? என்று அவள் ஊடல் கொண்டாள்.

Translation:

'Each day I called to mind your charms,' 'O, then, you had forgot,'
She cried, and then her opened arms, Forthwith embraced me not.

Explanation:
When I said I had remembered her, she said I had forgotten her and relaxing her embrace, began to feign dislike.

Everytime I read / think about this thirukkuRaL, I can't help but Gangai Amaran - excellent lyricist for IR - 100 special picks of this combo - Page 7 3325497835

In any case, that kuRaL is just an interesting reference here and has nothing to do with our nAdan sOgappAttu. Here, thalaivi takes mun jAmeen as "மறந்தால் தானே நினைக்கணும் மாமா நினைவே நீ தானே நீ தானே". Both the mates in this movie are "softies" (unlike the strong personalities in the original, thillAnA mOganAmbAL, the inspiration for this movie) and so such a duet is possible. Obviously, IR's music - a bigger % of it being soft & romantic - must be the director's inspiration for such a detour from the old movie Wink

Look at the youtube:

Here are the pAdal varikaL, a breezy one like the wind from western ghats:

பல்லவி:

குடகு மலைக்காற்றில் வரும் பாட்டுக்கேக்குதா என் பைங்கிளி
ஏதோ நினவுதான் உன்னைச்சுத்திப் பறக்குது
என்னோட மனசு தான் கண்ட படி தவிக்குது
ஒத்த வழி என் வழி தானே மானே

சரணம் 1:

மானே மயிலே மரகதக்குயிலே தேனே நான் பாடும் தெம்மாங்கே
பூவே பொழுதே பொங்கி வரும் அமுதே காதில் கேட்டாயோ என் வாக்கே
ஒன்னை எண்ணி நாந்தான் ஒரு ஊர்கோலம் போனேன்
தன்னந் தனியாக நிக்கும் தேர் போல ஆனேன்
பூப்பூத்த சோலையிலே பொன்னான மாலையிலே நீ வந்த வேளையிலே மயிலே
நீர் பூத்த கண்ணு ரெண்டு நீங்காத தாகம் கொண்டு பாடும் பாட்டு

பெண் பல்லவி :
குடகு மலைக்காற்றில் ஒரு பாட்டுப்பாடுது இந்தப்பைங்கிளி

சரணம் 2:

மறந்தால் தானே நினைக்கணும் மாமா நினைவே நீ தானே நீ தானே
மனசும் மனசும் இணைந்தது மாமா நெனச்சுத்தவிச்சேனே நான் தானே
சொல்லி விட்ட பாட்டு தெக்குக்காத்தோட கேட்டேன்
தூது விட்ட ராசா மனந்தடுமாற மாட்டேன்
ஊரென்ன சொன்னால் என்ன ஒன்னாக நின்னா என்ன உம் பேரைப் பாடி நிப்பேன் மாமா
தூங்காம உன்னை எண்ணித்துடிச்சாளே இந்தக்கன்னி வா மாமா

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 09, 2013 4:15 am

Wow! app ji ippothaan start panna maadhiri irunthathu, you almost covered close to 100 song GA. Hats off to your dedication. noteworthy doublethumbsup
As always you rightly observed, the serious portions like this didn't create that impact, as did the lighter moments. In one way that is a blessing in disguise as the director GA was more successful in muting sad/serious moment over another, so that the movie in itself does not create any tedium, more than the impact. Overall we got a wholesome entertainer which is watchable any time of the day, any day of the year, which only very few movies got to its credit.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 pm

nanRi V_Sji!

What started off as a small spark off AO vinyl cover (putham pudukkAlai) made me post a lot on lyricists in this forum Smile Apart from GA, I've also dragged myself into the VM-stats (accountu-audittu-credittu-debittu) and opened a few other threads and yet to do much justice Embarassed

mella mella fill paNNalAmnu irukkEn...In any case, our forum is slowly becoming a strong "info-bank" for IR songs. That's a good thing, considering the fact that we can't always have access to knowledgeable individuals (i.e. Manisekaran / Saravanan and the likes) to support the pAmara IRF community...

With these few lyricist threads, the vinyl cover thread and the ambitious IRDB project, someday we'll eliminate the need to "ask XYZ" for basic info on any of IR's works Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next