Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:45 am

Yeah Kiru - one of my favourites. sidhdhar paadalgaLilErundhu apdiyE saarathai uruvi koduththA mAdhiri...
Must be atleast 19 years since I last listened to Appanendrum Ammaiendrum- but the lyrics stay in memory.

kaiyum kAlum mookkum vechu
Ada vandha kAraNam - AdiththAnE
sErthu vecha pAvam yAvym theeraNum
Ada Ada pAvam sErum Adi Odum mAnidA
Ada nAnum mAttEn endru Odi pOnadhAradA?

Adhi mudhal andham un sondham un bandham
nee uLLavarai dhAn
vandhu vandhu koodum kooththAdum eppOdhum
Or sandhai kadai dhAn - idhil
nee enna nAn enna
vandhAlum sendrAlum ennAchu vittu thaLLu

You can listen to echoes of this in IR's "mint streetla ukkArndhu jabam paNdrA mAdhiri" quote.

This is why I get angry when people try to dub IR's speeches as pidhaRRals. He is going deep into our siddhar philosophy and giving you the saaram, and you can see this by connecting the various levels at which he has spoken, and written about it. PuriyalainA gammunnu irukkaNum. adhai vittuttu vAzhkkaina ennannE theriyAdha siNdu siRAr ellAM "IR mike koduththA uLaruvAr"-nu solRadhu evLO agambAvamAna seyal?

plum

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:46 am

Apart from the philosophical musings, look how each word sonorusly sit in the tune and sandhams. This is what I miss in post-IR music.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 pm

plum wrote:Yeah Kiru - one of my favourites. sidhdhar paadalgaLilErundhu apdiyE saarathai uruvi koduththA mAdhiri...
Must be atleast 19 years since I last listened to Appanendrum Ammaiendrum- but the lyrics stay in memory.

kaiyum kAlum mookkum vechu
Ada vandha kAraNam - AdiththAnE
sErthu vecha pAvam yAvym theeraNum
Ada Ada pAvam sErum Adi Odum mAnidA
Ada nAnum mAttEn endru Odi pOnadhAradA?

Adhi mudhal andham un sondham un bandham
nee uLLavarai dhAn
vandhu vandhu koodum kooththAdum eppOdhum
Or sandhai kadai dhAn - idhil
nee enna nAn enna
vandhAlum sendrAlum ennAchu vittu thaLLu

You can listen to echoes of this in IR's "mint streetla ukkArndhu jabam paNdrA mAdhiri" quote.

This is why I get angry when people try to dub IR's speeches as pidhaRRals. He is going deep into our siddhar philosophy and giving you the saaram, and you can see this by connecting the various levels at which he has spoken, and written about it. PuriyalainA gammunnu irukkaNum. adhai vittuttu vAzhkkaina ennannE theriyAdha siNdu siRAr ellAM "IR mike koduththA uLaruvAr"-nu solRadhu evLO agambAvamAna seyal?

awesome...

yerkanavae kaetta matter'naalum, ippo highlight panrapo adhu romba deepumaa...

immediate request to release a sitthar songs albau...

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm

:applause: @ the discussion

My favorite song in the album, along with Unnai Naan Ariven.
"Apart from the philosophical musings, look how each word sonorusly sit in the tune and sandhams. This is what I miss in post-IR music." - adhe dhaan

<Dig>
SS - A big :thumbsup: to you for choosing to come to this forum and contributing in spite of the <obvious>. It's not easy. Glad Nerd/Plum had confidence in having you here.
</Dig>

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:19 pm

another one:

இன்பம் என்னும் எலும்பொடுசதைநரம்புதிரமுமடங்கியவுடம்புயென்னும் பிச்சைப்பாத்திரம் ஏந்திவந்தேன் - love it for the highlighted chicken-egg/kachidhamaa-ukkaarum lines...

btw, who is the father of this song?

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Not sure if you know, Raaja's lyrics. And in fact that naan kadavuL song was derived off of his Ramanamaalai album. But don't know what his *inspiration* is if any. Here is the original with slightly different orch.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:
SS - A big :thumbsup: to you for choosing to come to this forum and contributing in spite of the . It's not easy. Glad Nerd/Plum had confidence in having you here.

+11111111111111

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 pm

2040 wrote:another one:

இன்பம் என்னும் எலும்பொடுசதைநரம்புதிரமுமடங்கியவுடம்புயென்னும் பிச்சைப்பாத்திரம் ஏந்திவந்தேன் - love it for the highlighted chicken-egg/kachidhamaa-ukkaarum lines...

btw, who is the father of this song?

Again. +1. adhu lyricsA, thAnana sandhamAnnE pirichu pArkka mudiyAdha aLavukku poruttham.

MSV or ARR - indha vishayathula, they are at a disadvantage w.r.t tamizh songs - Raja is a tamizh scholar(grammar, literature, tamizh poetry grammar ellAthulayum) which makes him unmatched in this aspect

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:<Dig>
SS - A big :thumbsup: to you for choosing to come to this forum and contributing in spite of the <obvious>. It's not easy. Glad Nerd/Plum had confidence in having you here.
</Dig>
+1111111 Thanks SS. Thanks Bala for highligting.

Plum, Super. I want to listen to it now. To be honest, I don't remember the lyrics, but great to see you got to the roots.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes, Nerd, the original just nails it

This song (Bitchai Pathiram) also helped me evaluate Baradwaj Rangan as a film music critic.
Basically, he was going gaga about Madhu B's singing as perfect and evokes a lovely pleasnatness, and I remember asking him if his singing(pleasant, easy on the ears, light) was NOT really good enough in terms of the emotion expressed. He blabbered something like "sowkkyam" is also a valid sangeetha concept.

adhu sari dhAn - but how is sowkkyam a valid emotion in the context of *these lyrics*. IR pAdinA mAdhiri oru urukkam oru surrender vONAvA?

Problem is *sowkkyam* is a quality ppl look for in *all* songs. It is a surprise that the older days MDs and IR kept the people able to receive non-sowkkyam songs for non-sowkkyam situations.

These days, *sowkkyam* has to be there for a song to become hit - hence the career of Harris Jayaraj and Anjalai songs for a heart shattering situation. I'd infact add the Bombay climax theme - one of Rahman's most appreciated insturmentals. enakku andha Theme oru mana idham kodukkum - whereas the intended emotion is angst at the religious clashes and the resultant violence.

One of the reasons Bala said Rahman will not suit him is that Rahman tends to coat a sowkkkyam to even his soga songs and mind-fucking sequences. The same Bala has gone to Rahman-lite GVP and listening to Paradesi, I am inclined to ask Bala: "dei RahmanE vENAmnu sonniyE, adhula oru nyAym irundhadhu, AnAl adhE stylela irukkum GVP kittta pOyirukkayE; and he has given you exactly the kind of sowkkyam songs Rahman would, except that these are inferior version of Rahman. How does that tally?"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 pm

plum wrote:Rahman-lite GVP

vanmaiyaana(*sowkkiyamatra*) kandangal...

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm

SS - sorry I admit I didnt come across correct. Yeah, it is insult to Rahman to call GVP as Rahman-lite. I wanted to imply GVP is nothing but Rahman wannabe-but-fail, but came across wrongly. Apologies!

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm

my reply for my participation comment in this forum: i see both their music as a counterpoint..

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm

BTW, Caught GVP in a FM interview today morning on the Car.
GVP and RJ indulged in some WTF banter and GVP gave some crap about positive vibrations etc and the RJ summarised it thus:
FM RJ: Today we have GVP who has talked as a musician, a singer and a philosopher

BTW next year keerovA nadikkaRAplayam GVP. SandhOsham. apdiyE maindain paNNunga saar

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Tough to make it for FDFS. Manaiviyaar kandippa modho show paakanum-garaanga. veetla yaravadhu paatha kooda porum, dhosham irukkaadhu

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 3 Empty Guna, the blessed!!!

Post  mythila Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

plum wrote:For the past two days - constantly running at the back of my mind

unnai nAn aRivEn ennai andri yAr aRivAr

There are times when the syrupy emotion that S Janaki whips up is haunting and inescapable. It keeps playing over and over again in your mind, and you feel a certain yearning and despair, no idea for what, running through your mind. This song exploits this quality of Janaki's voice to the T.

The emotion of the song is "En dhAn piRandhAyO, ingE vaLarndhAyO". Basically, Rekha is asking what's the point of all this, this purity of heart and the child like innocence of Gunasekaran, left to rot here in this place to what avail?

Even without the lyrics, can you feel it in the tune, voice and the orchestration? You do? Well, that's my Raja.

Gunasekar is a classic case of "DAsi kulathu magan", the most unwanted, unwelcome entry among them, and in stark contrast to the generally rejoicing and hailing the birth of a "magan" in our patriarchal society . Also in contrary to this, being the arrival of a girl child
as a major cause of celebration in a "DAsi" household for obvious reasons. Remember Padmini in ThillAnA MohanAmbaL ?
For Guna, his "altered" state of his unusual mind or brutally put, his "sick" mind , whether by choice or destiny and the actions ensuing that
is his redemption, sole ticket, to freedom from the lowly rut, to realizing his life's goal even if it means to take that giant leap to
death with his beloved. Atleast this way, he could get to to spend few precious days with AbirAmi . Even in death,
it was with a certainity of uniting with his AbirAmai. A normal, "healthy" Guna would have perhaps been
reduced to doing the ignominious activity of pimping for his own mother and sisters if there were any.
So blessed is Gunasekhar.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Sontham vanthathu vanthathu from Pudhu Paattu. What a beauty. Chitra at her sweetest, that aside, see what Raaja has done in the ludes. Words fail me to explain both the interludes. Be it the flute literally toying with the violins (synth?) in the 1st lude or the duet between the lead guitar and the bass guitar or the flute vs bass guitar in the 2nd interlude - this song is of supreme quality. The strings that lead to the 2nd charanam, I think the same appears on some other song. It reminded me of the paattu paadavaa album, quickly scanned through the entire album but I was wrong. Any help?

No visuals.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm

probably some paandithurai song...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

plum wrote:
MSV or ARR - indha vishayathula, they are at a disadvantage w.r.t tamizh songs - Raja is a tamizh scholar(grammar, literature, tamizh poetry grammar ellAthulayum) which makes him unmatched in this aspect

Enna neenga, you mention MSV and ARR in the same breath ? I am certain MSV knows tamil way way better ARR (having worked with great poets) and that too with respect to sandham. I think most of the time music comes to ARR naturally whereas MSV or IR will improve upon their natural instincts with rigorous learning/training/composing from first principles. I am sure ARR also does, but just wanted to contrast the work style .Maybe, you can call it experimental vs theorertical, to be politically correct :-)
(@Bala(Karthik) - "sonorously" - what a word .. what a choice !! like it)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 pm

RE: pudhu pAttu - I think this album is sort of very experimental. It has very loopy nature to the rhythm.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:00 am

kiru wrote:
Enna neenga, you mention MSV and ARR in the same breath ? I am certain MSV knows tamil way way better ARR (having worked with great poets) and that too with respect to sandham. I think most of the time music comes to ARR naturally whereas MSV or IR will improve upon their natural instincts with rigorous learning/training/composing from first principles. I am sure ARR also does, but just wanted to contrast the work style .Maybe, you can call it experimental vs theorertical, to be politically correct :-)

Ya, MSV understanding of sandham and lyrics probably unmatched.

kiru wrote:
I think most of the time music comes to ARR naturally whereas MSV or IR will improve upon their natural instincts with rigorous learning/training/composing from first principles. I am sure ARR also does, but just wanted to contrast the work style .Maybe, you can call it experimental vs theorertical, to be politically correct :-)

I didn't get it. Can you elaborate a bit more for me pls? Smile

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 am

Nerd wrote: The strings that lead to the 2nd charanam, I think the same appears on some other song. It reminded me of the paattu paadavaa album, quickly scanned through the entire album but I was wrong. Any help?
"Thenmozhi endhan thenmozhi" - Solla Thudikkidhu Manasu? (Raagam bageshree connection? - Suresh/Thumburu to confirm)
Just checked: Not quite pola....

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 am

ஆனா இப்போ இது தெரியலைனா மண்ட வேடிச்சிரும் போல இருக்கே!

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 am

Senthil/Kiru- ofcourse MSV is a class apart from ARR when it comes to lyrics and sandham. Meanwhile, note that Rahman fans are claiming - based on Agi Akilan's assertion - that no one has integrated music, lyrics and sandham like Rahman has lol!

Ignorance and false propogandakku oru aLavE illaiyA?

I used to think Rahman gets appreciated for exactly what he is - but looks like he is also saddled with fans who have no idea of what he is but appreciate him for political reasons(VM-ku vaazhvu koduththar ivaru namma deivampA, Rajavai commercialA azhichAr ivaru namma deivampA).

Having said that, without Kannadasan, it is hard to imagine MSV having such perfect compositions-vs-lyrics marriage. The thing with IR is he has educated himself on Tamil poetry, literature and grammar. MSV's is more of kELvi gnAnam with Kannadasan, Vaali.

indha nuance ellAm makkaLukku puriyaRadhE kedaiyAdhu...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:00 am

Bala, I think you got it. For me it is ringing around mazhai varuthu interludes, not sure again.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next