Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  plum Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:09 pm

V_S wrote:Plum,
Nach! cheers Nicely articulated. Really enjoyed reading it. Happy for him. I can relate to many of my friends like this back in my town who can clearly distinguish between IR and DEva within a second. kEtta udanE solliduvaanga.

plum wrote:
Me: edhai vechu solRInga Raja pAttillainu?
Him: adhellAM enakku theriyAdhu saar. nAn oru pAmaran, sAdharaNa rasigan enakku adhu Raja saar pattu madhiri thONAlai
Me: (Triumphantly) nee rasigEndA! indha pidi aayiram poRkAsugaL!

Coming to the point, avara congratulate panneengaLa. Andha paattu DEva thaan'nu sonneengaLa? Smile

Yes ofcourse before getting off I did tell him that he was right and I was just playing. Because after I administered that lie to him, oru mAdhiri AyittAr. The conversation became tetchy after that. I could read his mind "idhu epdi Raja pAttu; ennamO udhaikkudhE; indhALU mattum customerA illAma irundhA kizhichirukkalAm; customerA vandhu tholaichuttAnE" type expression Laughing

plum

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  plum Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote:ஆபிஸ்-கு வரும்போது ரயிலில் கேட்டது:

ஆயிரம் தாமரை மொட்டுக்களே - Genre bending, subversion done and tossed aside
அரிதாரத்த பூசிக்கொள்ள ஆச - this is story telling
சந்திரரும் சூரியனும் - example of instruments or genre not being a hindrance to narrative integrity
வாயக்கட்டி வயித்தக்கட்டி (சொல்ல துடிக்குது மனசு) - revisited this recently on TV - Abdul Hameed program on Jaya TV with lyricist (mu.Metha or Pulamaippithan?)

vAyakatti vayathakatti - yes yes. eppO play paNNinAlum I get "idhu enna ipdi oru pAttu" stares. (Ennamo Edho kEkkara fans DhAne nammai suththi)

But for us, look at the playful tease and ELanam in that song. In that disaster of a movie, avLo sincerA situationukku pOtturuppAr.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 pm

jaiganesh wrote:plum..
aani adichutteenga..
aani pudungravangallaam pudunga mudiyaadha aani idhu..
umadhu thiruvilayaadalgaLil idhuvum ondro?

akkudhE akkudhE! pinnE ulagathtukku uNmaiya uraikkaNumnA ipdi sila thiruviLaiyAdal seyvadhu thavirkka mudiyAhdu illaiyA?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Super Plum. Very interesting. And as you say, when people listen intently, their music tastes get better and Raja gets embedded in them.

Today I linked this lovely song on twitter and earned some punyam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6n_eIB2vQ

The Tamil version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptIwIR_nCY

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 am

Like Devas and Asuras churned the paarkadal to get the amirtham out of it, our Maestro is churning out Schubert's symphony to bring out the essence called 'Idhayam pOguthE' which is totally agnostic to the symphony itself. When they used Mandramalai (hill) and vasuki (serpant) to churn out the ocean, Maestro just used his powerful mind to do it, no external influence. If Devas and Asuras were selfish to have the amirtham themselves, Maestro is most generous to give the amirtham to all of us, except to himself. Even there we could see how many unlucky souls who could not even get the flavor of this amirtham. just because they turned back, not interested. What a costly miss!

I am still puzzled at where that folk (idhayam poguthE) is hidden in this Schubert symphony and how it was brought out. That second interlude starts with melancholy violin when she thinks of him, but immediately after that, Raja changes the mood within a flash and sings a happy humming; (what a sight to see the herd of cattle!)

thaanaana naanaana naanana nanana naanananenaa
thananaa… nanenaa …thandana naanaana durrrrrraaaa….

I have never heard anything like this. Enna humming sir idhu. I only get reminded of ThiruviLaadal dialogue; 'Satru munbu oru dEvagaanam kEthathE...' and Raja casually saying 'naan thaanga pozhuthu pOgaama, kathikittrundhEn' and everyone packing bags after hearing this. Raja's voice brimming with soul and in a flash, he changes our mood from sad (violin) to happiness. No magician or musician can achieve this wonder. It is at the speed of light! If through the symphony, he takes us 200 years back to the landscapes of vienna and to his residence, by bringing out the essence of Schubert's symphony, he is happy to share the essence to the land he was brought into this world and thereby nurtures our soil (soul) and land (mind). He is impartial in delivering the essence, still only gifted souls get that gift! We could not get enough of this essence as the taste makes us long for more and more! If amirtham would deprive them of death and live forever, 'Idhayam pOguthE' will make us live happily ever after. எத்தனை கோடி இன்பம் வைத்தாய் ராசா!
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

After writing my recent post on SRR BGM, I could not stop listening to Sri Rama Lera. No adjectives will satisfy this composition, it does not belong to this material world and I feel I am not deserved to listen this piece of music. If we are listening/appreciating this one, we should be the most gifted souls on earth. This should go straight as Maestro's top compositions, in fact as top composition in the history of film music, if not music. The tune, lyrics, singing, orchestration are all perfect to be called as 'gandarva loga gaanam'.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Was listening again to 'Gundello Godari' and 'Nanu neetho'. Still can't figure out why people don't like these two songs. I love both of them and more I hear the more I am convinced of their beauty.

Also after a long time hearing 'Avani Thumbi' again. What an excellent composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UenakY5p4gM

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 am

Solli vidu veLLi nilavE

Whatay beautiful

Swarnalatha Smile

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 am

Aravind,
Good to see you here. Were waiting for your posts. Welcome. Smile
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am

V_S wrote:

If through the symphony, he takes us 200 years back to the landscapes of vienna and to his residence, by bringing out the essence of Schubert's symphony, he is happy to share the essence to the land he was brought into this world and thereby nurtures our soil (soul) and land (mind). He is impartial in delivering the essence, still only gifted souls get that gift! We could not get enough of this essence as the taste makes us long for more and more!

Very well put.

When I saw the Idhayam Poguthey and Schubert connection demonstrated by him, I couldn't sleep without thinking about it for days. I strongly believe we love Raja songs not just because they are musically great, he also has crystallized culture into his music. While Carnatic music or WCM could be mindblowing, it is not culturalized for a layman in TN. Raja is great at infusing cultural authenticity into his songs. His songs are an invisible umbilical cord that connects us and culture.

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 pm

SenthilVinu wrote:I strongly believe we love Raja songs not just because they are musically great, he also has crystallized culture into his music. While Carnatic music or WCM could be mindblowing, it is not culturalized for a layman in TN. Raja is great at infusing cultural authenticity into his songs. His songs are an invisible umbilical cord that connects us and culture.
Exactly! That's why Raja used to say western classical genre is not theirs, it is ours too. Only a true composer can realize it, as he makes it sound like it was born in our land and does not alienate from our people.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

Very well put Senthil.

Was listening to Tiruvasagam yesterday and I am still surprised how he conjure up such music for the 'Sivapuranam' poem ('polla vinayen'). Only last week I was at Kapaleeswarar temple at Chennai and read Sivapuranam poem which inscribed on a wall. There is no way anyone could have imagined such a structure for that poem.

The poem starts with 'namasivaya vaazhga' but Raja makes it the refrain and that changes the whole complexion of the song.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:48 pm

SenthilVinu wrote:
When I saw the Idhayam Poguthey and Schubert connection demonstrated by him, I couldn't sleep without thinking about it for days. I strongly believe we love Raja songs not just because they are musically great, he also has crystallized culture into his music. While Carnatic music or WCM could be mindblowing, it is not culturalized for a layman in TN. Raja is great at infusing cultural authenticity into his songs. His songs are an invisible umbilical cord that connects us and culture.
Superb!

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 pm

See the connect (musical level), Krish's ovr ponging apart. And this new vijay tv orchestra is good I say. They are getting the music and SOUND right

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am

V_S wrote:
I am still puzzled at where that folk (idhayam poguthE) is hidden in this Schubert symphony and how it was brought out...

In the actual symphony, the cello starts, the strings join and overlaying this is some horns. I think IR got the 'idhayam pOguthE' phrase from the notes for these horns. He makes up the rest that goes well with the rest of the symphony. And he does this with tabla in the actual track !!! :-)
(you can check out the symphony #8 in youtube, as you know)
(I think it (horns) is being played by IR's orchestra too but probably is getting drowned out by the strings)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 am

Yes, got it kiru. I heard the original symphony (#Cool and could draw some perspectives, but it's amazing how Maestro even thought about it.
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm

"(undecipherable) senkarumbu" - padikkaadha pannaiyaar. :musicsmile:

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:44 pm

For the past two days - constantly running at the back of my mind

unnai nAn aRivEn ennai andri yAr aRivAr

There are times when the syrupy emotion that S Janaki whips up is haunting and inescapable. It keeps playing over and over again in your mind, and you feel a certain yearning and despair, no idea for what, running through your mind. This song exploits this quality of Janaki's voice to the T.

The emotion of the song is "En dhAn piRandhAyO, ingE vaLarndhAyO". Basically, Rekha is asking what's the point of all this, this purity of heart and the child like innocence of Gunasekaran, left to rot here in this place to what avail?

Even without the lyrics, can you feel it in the tune, voice and the orchestration? You do? Well, that's my Raja.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 pm

@Plum - yes with the lullaby like prelude + flute piece IR already completes the job of setting the "tone of despair" even before the song starts. He knows how to evoke various emotions with notes ..
BTW, i also ended up listening to appan enRum ammai enRum.. raw siddhar like philosophy .. do you know who wrote that song (or is it an adaptation) ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:48 am

The part that nails the mood is 'Devan endraal devan illai tharai mael undhan jananam" - Vaalee and IR - unassuming song makers casually pulling off a world record of sorts in succinctly telling a story in one line.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:31 am

pani vizhum iravu
nanaindhadhu nilavu
iLanguyil iraNdu
isaikkindRa pozhudhu
pooppookkum rAppOdhu
poongAtRum thoongAdhu
vA vA vA

Quite an invite, isn't it? Way up there in my list of Raaja-Mani songs and Raaja's atmospheric songs. The guitars, the percussion, the chorus and the violins singled out at various moments through the song and taking over short pieces on their own (song is after all is about feeling and being lonely), the pauses here and there, the soaking melody - just can't get better. Vaali nails the pallavi.

The bass guitars walking down alone to the first interlude - the chorus doing a swing and handing over to Janaki to do a ah-uh-ah-uh - goosebumps.

Whattay complete package delivered with so much ease.

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Kiru - its Vaali for appanendrum though I do believe Kamal must have had significant input
(vaali aNNE andha siddharr pAttula varumE andha madhiri vENUm- gangai aatrula kazhuvinA koooda paavam ellAM pOgadhunnu.)

Note how the Gangai Aaru philosophy returns in Mahanadhi

nAn Ganga nadhiyai pArkkum bOdhu uNmai viLangudhu
ada ingE kuLikkum manidhar azhukkil gangai kalangudhu
sila pollA janangal pAva kadalai neeril kazuvudhu - indha
muttAl thanaththai engE solli nAnum azhuvadhu?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  SenthilVinu Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:13 pm

kiru wrote:

In the actual symphony, the cello starts, the strings join and overlaying this is some horns. I think IR got the 'idhayam pOguthE' phrase from the notes for these horns.

Thanks Kiru. I checked out the schubert piece in youtube. The horn piece is a clear inspiration. What a piece by Schubert and Raaja matching that mood in our Tamil song!

V_S wrote:
Exactly! That's why Raja used to say western classical genre is not theirs, it is ours too. Only a true composer can realize it, as he makes it sound like it was born in our land and does not alienate from our people.

You are absolutely right V_S! When the Schubert piece was conducted by Raaja. The audience whistles and claps as soon as they hear schubert piece mistaking it for Raaja's music. While this is a mistake, it goes to show how without his own knowledge, a layman in TN has acquired the sensibilities to appreciate WCM just by listening to Raaja's music!!

Personally, I think this is a great achievement by Raaja. He wanted our people to appreciate WCM and this shows he has achieved that.(I'm also one among those people) For me, this incident is kinda, the sindhu bhairavi moment... the audience cheer when Suhasini sings after being challenged by Sivakumar because they understand the essence of Carnatic music more when it was made accessible. Art imitating life, Raaja has brought the elite music to the pit. To the common man without diluting a bit.

PS: Btw, I noticed this time (after the NEPV symphony incident), in the middle of conducting, Raja asks audience to be quiet when they whistle and clap. Raja's intensity is so good Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKApekpoTLw&feature=player_detailpage#t=20s

SenthilVinu

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 am

@plum - thanks. the second charanam has very good description of karmic philosophy.
@Senthilvinu - I also saw raaja trying to tell the audience to quiet down. Disciplinarian.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next