Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

+38
counterpoint
krraju82
rajaclan
baroque
Shank
crimson king
MH
Drunkenmunk
irir123
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
vicks
fring151
Punnaimaran
endrum_raja
Usha
raghav316
kamalaakarsh
rajkumarc
skr
writeface
Sakalakala Vallavar
groucho070
Wizzy
mythila
sagi
kiru
SenthilVinu
sheepChase
plum
Bala (Karthik)
Admin
Raaga_Suresh
app_engine
jaiganesh
V_S
kv
42 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 pm

What a beauty this song is: http://t.co/V6gVbCSluw

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Manadhil oru paattu - Song of the moment - Vol 1

Post  Bala (Karthik) Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ej1HPWpnNA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

I am thinking of starting a series on how raaja has spoilt us by giving away too much.
The correct song to start the series would be "hey unnainthaane" from kadhal parisu.
why?
Ans:
1) for a simple functional pop disco song the range of genres used / invented is too much
2) nobody uses a Piano/key board for a dance song like raaja has done in this song. after all the uber coolness
of 80s phil collins style synth usage has worn away, the song is still standing tall today thanks to the jazz of the piano/synth key play in the second interlude. its progression is not pop at all it is genre splicing at its best.
3) rhythms drums, synth pads what not?dance floor is not established but elaborately constructed, beat for beat
in this gigantic composition.
4) special kudos to trumpets and sax none of the rd burman
style playing is audible, it is reinvented and innovated upon to add a
thrill layer that raaja alone is capable of. the trailing notes of trumpets and sax merging
with the programmed rhythm is constructed with mathematic precision...
one word wow how spoilt were we. kids who never visited a dance floor in our lives
but dancing eternally in our minds to beats like this..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm

jaiganesh wrote:I am thinking of starting a series on how raaja has spoilt us by giving away too much.

சீக்கிரம் தொடங்குங்க சார்...அதாவது 'ஏ உன்னைத்தானே' யில் தொடங்கியதைத் தொடருங்க Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Rishimoolam

Cricket bats are sometimes described as having a sweet spot – a spot, which, if hit by the bal, helps in a sweetly-timed shot by the batman.
In Neramidhu Neramidhu, it arrives when P Suseela announces her arrival into the first charanam at:
“kooNdukiLikkoru aashai piRandha pin”. The characteristic sh at aashai adds a cute factor too.

Check out PS’s chella kObam at
“ungaL piLLai ungaLai pOl; ungalai than naadugiraan ennidam aasai illai”

The maturity of the voices at that stage of their life helps in establishing the seasoned intimacy of a well-worn years of togetherness of a couple.

Last edited by plum on Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 pm

As my favourite internet commenter OISG observed once in dhool.com, NadigarThilagam/KRV in Neramidhu must have made the services of an army of Dr Mathruboodhams and Pazhani N Kalimuthus redundant. (if you see what he means )

( I mean, I love my NT and all, but his excesses with KRV in late 70s and 80s are intolerable even to me)

When the visuals are the only ones you can use to introduce this albim, it is hard to sell the value of this album to even my own generation (which is onnu vitta pEran gen to Nadigar Thilagam)who didnt consume it then and are introduced now only. Mind you, I have absolutely no problems with Rishi Moolam, which was a movie for its times, and atleast to me, has NT moments to savour.

However, give the audio-only version, and even the sceptic current gen will fall for it.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm

* nEramidhu – the lethargic pull and bliss of samsAra sAgaram, and a routine day(night) in the life of a approaching-middle-age(by story, the actors were past their middle age) couple, enjoying the pleasure of navigating through the little pleasures and minor inconveniences of a reasonably comfortable life, especially the slightly bitter but sweet taste of parenthood and its attendant concerns. Raja paints the mindscape so minutely here. heck, idhellAm anubavikkaNum ArAya mudiyAdhu. If you can actually feel what I am trying to say, you are blessed.
With a little more courage, I might even watch the song again

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm

* Vaada en Raaja Kanna – second heroine (Reena?) who later atempts to seduce (sic) nadigar thilagam in the movie, makes the approach in this song taking the route of wooing the son(who would later grow up to be the ghastly chakravarthy; if Reena had known, unlikely she would have attempted to ‘mother’ the little child)trying to present herself as a surrogate mother to him. The flute pieces tha accompany the pallavi lines, I wonder if they were engineered to make up for the lack of fullness in Shailu’s voice.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 pm

* Aimbadhilum Aasai varum – could be an anthem for a lot of ppl in this page soon . The guitar riffs in the pallavi tell me that@irexarul will soon feature that song also in his quiz . What a funky song and what choice of singer!You can call Rishimoolam a crappy movie if you feel so, but what cannot be denied is that these movies provided situations for Raja that current MDs stand no chance of getting. These days, the ordinary simple moments of a family dont seem to have much currency with directors, and we are all the poorer for it.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 pm

* Nenjil Ulla Kaayam ondru – the healer, as I call it. Have you ever nurtured a grouse in your heart, a massive feeling of hurt owing to certain circusmtances and feelings opf betrayal and hurt by a close person/ Have you nurtured it for years, never getting actual deliverance from it, and one fine day, you actually find a balm to the pain, and you get that mental click whereby that whole episode is wiped clean of f your mind, and no amtter how many times you replay the incidents, they dont hurt you any more.In other words, have you experienced Time healing your biggest wounds in your mind?
If you have, then this song will remind you of your mindscape when that happened. If not, keep this song handy. Whenever that healing happens in your life, this song will capture your mindscape at that point to the T.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm

NOTE: I am not saying this is a sufi, healing type of song wherein you hear the song and all your pains are forgotten. That can happen with any Sufiana type song. What I am saying is different – it is that Raja captures mindscapes, and the pleasur eof enjoying his music is to actually dig deep in your mind, and enjoy the intellectual, and emotional pleasure of being able to relive your mindscape at a particular moment in your life through th music itself
Again, note that I am not talking about nostalgia – with nostalgia it is possible that you can associate nEthu rAtthiri amma with your grandfather’s death ceremony just because as the sava oorvalam neared the cemetry, for a long stretch nEthu raathiri was playing on the loudspeakers in the road. That’s not the kind of mindscape creation tht I am talking about.
For example, I dont even rememebr this song in the movie nor have I heard it during my childhood. From the first time I heard it in the 2000s, I could associate it with my mindscape from a few years prior where in I had felt those emotions. Note that those emotions had died in my mind, and wernt actually active. Yet, the song was able to revive those memories. Now, that is what precisely captures Raja and his music. You detach yourself, and you still would be pulled n to experiecne forgotten emotions.

This sheer pleasure of reliving emotions is what I hear Raja for, and nobody else is capable of giving me.

I can always get my mental peace, and world peace moments with Khwaja mere Khwaja type music, but if I want to be mentally distrubed and relive the colour of emotions that I once experienced, having lose those emotions to the numbness of daily life, then, it is only Raja I can turn to

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm

And then ofcourse, the tour de force of the album. I am saving the best for the last.
Before discussing the song, we must perform the necessary ritual of forgetting the actors in this movie(if you have seen it) because it is their characters we are going to discuss, and yet, if you remember them, you will only laught at me for saying all the following – so, please wipe your mind of KR Vijaya and the ghastly Chakravarthy before reading further:

So, there is this middle aged woman, who, in her youth, had petulantly walked away from her husband, and more importantly(for a woman), their child. She still is partly convinced she was right to do that, but when it happens that she gets to know that her son is arriving to meet her soon, the natural motherly affection takes over, and it is at this moment that our man Ilayaraja takes over her mindscape. And paints it accurately for us to savour.

Have you ever been a mother? A silly question to ask in a forum where 90% of you are probably male. I am, too, but, you see atleast for a few minutes in my life, I have felt precisely that emotion of a mother that I described just now. Now, you might think I am making this up. But I am fairly convinced because twice it has happened that I have discussed the precise emotions evoked by certain songs with mothers as protagonists, and twice it is that @tvsankar alias @ushasankar @usharani here has corroborated that with her life experience.

Raja, as is his wont, chooses his instruments precisely, and the Mridangam is what adds the precise colour of emotion I mentioned, that deep bass percussion capturing the hidden volcanoes of the mother in the situation described; and the violins and the flute flows capture her ecstasy as Time provides her the second chance to undo her mistake, and reunite with the son. It is a rather fast-paced melody, which is designed to precisely evoke the overwhelmed emotions of the character. As I mentioned, she is not totally backing off and surrendering to the husband, and is quite defensie of her choice during her youth (avaL sariyena ninaithadhu thavaRena mudindhadhu)and is just letting the past hurt go.

These are wonderfully written on paper, at the least. Execution may have faltered due to choice of actors and NT himself not having the physical charm for proper cinematic capture of this, although his talent meant that he could still evoke a chord or two in you. But how does it matter to our Raja, who just heard the story and the situation when he composed this? He paints the mindscape evocatively, and now there it is, for posterity. Just partake it and experience it. You wont get this, endE ammayANa sathyam,from any of the music after him

One word regarding the picturaisation, which Udhaya of Dhool.com described something like this, introducing this song: “KRV runnign all over the place as if chased by German Shepherds”

Such is Raja’s fate

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Plum,
Manadhil oru paatu.... oru album nu irundhu irukanam...... neengal sonnadhu dhan... ennudaiya karuthum...........

ungalai madhiri ezhudha theriyadhu...... solla than theriyum.............. Really Great write up Plum........

aimbadhilum asai varum............ ssssss.. apodhum ennal rasika mudinjadhu. ipodhum ennal rasika mudiyaradhu.......
adhu dhan Raja. Reality........ andha paatin FLute... adhu dhan ennai attract seidhadhu............

padam parkum podhu.. climax ai edhir parpadhu pol... mazhai varuadhu paatuku ungalin write up........ Salute plum..

motherhood... Feel seidheengalae..... U R Great.................

indha padam parkum podhu.. naan 9t std......... Ilaiyaraja kaga padam parthen... padamum, kadhaiyum (KRV.. characater. apo naan apadi than strict aga than irupen.. edhilum.. epodhum.. yaridamum.... adhanal pidithadhu.....

mazhai varuvadhu........... oru ammavaga feelings.. feel panninen........ indha time.. en ammavirkum oru kadhai iruku.
en annavai pirindha time.. PUC kaga... andha time.. en anna ammavidam sariyaga pesavillai ..... endru.........

en amma ipodhu ennidam solli kondargal.. indha paatuku... en paiyan.. puc mudichutu.. en kite varan nu therinja podhu..
indha paatai than nenachinden.. adhanala.. unaku.. un paiyanukaga matum ilai enakum dhan.. en paiyanukaga than.. endru
urimai kondadinar...........Very Happy
ennoda mobile.il.. enoda caller tune.. mazhai varuvadhu........ en paiyanukaga avanudaiya B.com time il.. vaithen.. ipodhu avan.. B.com mudichu......... PGDM..mudithu .. ipodhu veru edho padika arambithu irukan... kaeten.. paatai change pannalama endu........ vendam. .indha paatae irukatum. idhu avan bhadhil........... IR..... Feelings and expressions.. Reallity to the core.....

Great of u Plum............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Rishimoolam.. KRV......... enaku pidicha character nu sonnen........ andha padathu amma mahdiiri... romba strict dhan en paiyanidam. en kuda irundha naalil.. collge. hostel.. manasil indha paatu dhan vandhu vandhu modhiyadhu......

cinema.. kadhai.. nejam aguma......... IR song... ipadi en feelings ai express pannuma......... en SAnkar kite solli.
caller tune vaithu konden. idhudhan en first caller tune... en paiyanukaga.. ennai vittu pirindha paiyan.. enaku call
panninan. first time... ennada.. konjam strict.. konjam bayam.... neraiya pasam.. ipadiyaga..
paiyan kaetan.. enna paatu idhu.........
en reply...... ILaiyaraja song...
nalla ilai.. change pannu vera paatai........
naan.. onum sollalai.. amaidhi...

sila varangaluku pin......... amma indha paatai kaeten. nalla iruku. vechuko.............

3 vaarangaluku piragu.. paiyan veetuku vandhan........ paatai pathi kaetan.. indha padam.. kadhai.. paatai pathi. elalm sonnen.
sirichindae kaetundan......... engalai paasamaga iruka vaitha oru Bridge.. indha paatu........Plum...............

IR songs.. nammai pola.. matravarin feelings... adhil dhan ethanai sandhosham............ Plum....... ungalai polave
enakum pidikum.. indha padathu paatu ellam..................... Thanks for the pick and thanks for ur lovely wirte up........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed May 08, 2013 10:45 pm

And then ofcourse, the tour de force of the album. I am saving the best for the last.
Before discussing the song, we must perform the necessary ritual of forgetting the actors in this movie(if you have seen it) because it is their characters we are going to discuss, and yet, if you remember them, you will only laught at me for saying all the following – so, please wipe your mind of KR Vijaya and the ghastly Chakravarthy before reading further:

So, there is this middle aged woman, who, in her youth, had petulantly walked away from her husband, and more importantly(for a woman), their child. She still is partly convinced she was right to do that, but when it happens that she gets to know that her son is arriving to meet her soon, the natural motherly affection takes over, and it is at this moment that our man Ilayaraja takes over her mindscape. And paints it accurately for us to savour.

Have you ever been a mother? A silly question to ask in a forum where 90% of you are probably male. I am, too, but, you see atleast for a few minutes in my life, I have felt precisely that emotion of a mother that I described just now. Now, you might think I am making this up. But I am fairly convinced because twice it has happened that I have discussed the precise emotions evoked by certain songs with mothers as protagonists, and twice it is that @tvsankar alias @ushasankar @usharani here has corroborated that with her life experience.

Raja, as is his wont, chooses his instruments precisely, and the Mridangam is what adds the precise colour of emotion I mentioned, that deep bass percussion capturing the hidden volcanoes of the mother in the situation described; and the violins and the flute flows capture her ecstasy as Time provides her the second chance to undo her mistake, and reunite with the son. It is a rather fast-paced melody, which is designed to precisely evoke the overwhelmed emotions of the character. As I mentioned, she is not totally backing off and surrendering to the husband, and is quite defensie of her choice during her youth (avaL sariyena ninaithadhu thavaRena mudindhadhu)and is just letting the past hurt go.

These are wonderfully written on paper, at the least. Execution may have faltered due to choice of actors and NT himself not having the physical charm for proper cinematic capture of this, although his talent meant that he could still evoke a chord or two in you. But how does it matter to our Raja, who just heard the story and the situation when he composed this? He paints the mindscape evocatively, and now there it is, for posterity. Just partake it and experience it. You wont get this, endE ammayANa sathyam,from any of the music after him

Great write up Plum..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 am

doublethumbsup the clap noteworthy applause Plum and Ushaji! I can understand how the words of tenderness, warmth and affection flowed from you. Superb! My eyes are wet as I write this. This is very clear from the (no) gap between the posts and the replies. I wanted to highlight your feelings again even it was posted on the same page.

plum wrote:* Nenjil Ulla Kaayam ondru – the healer, as I call it. Have you ever nurtured a grouse in your heart, a massive feeling of hurt owing to certain circusmtances and feelings opf betrayal and hurt by a close person/ Have you nurtured it for years, never getting actual deliverance from it, and one fine day, you actually find a balm to the pain, and you get that mental click whereby that whole episode is wiped clean of f your mind, and no amtter how many times you replay the incidents, they dont hurt you any more.In other words, have you experienced Time healing your biggest wounds in your mind?
wow! for the bolded parts. How true with Maestro!

plum wrote:You detach yourself, and you still would be pulled n to experiecne forgotten emotions.

plum wrote:I can always get my mental peace, and world peace moments with Khwaja mere Khwaja type music, but if I want to be mentally distrubed and relive the colour of emotions that I once experienced, having lose those emotions to the numbness of daily life, then, it is only Raja I can turn to
Very well said! I have been mere a spectator however hard I try to when I try to listen to them (no offense meant) even when I appreciate its intricacies, it is only with Raja I merge with his music completely.

plum wrote:Have you ever been a mother? A silly question to ask in a forum where 90% of you are probably male. I am, too, but, you see atleast for a few minutes in my life, I have felt precisely that emotion of a mother that I described just now. Now, you might think I am making this up. But I am fairly convinced because twice it has happened that I have discussed the precise emotions evoked by certain songs with mothers as protagonists, and twice it is that @tvsankar alias @ushasankar @usharani here has corroborated that with her life experience.

deivamE! noteworthy

Usha wrote:en amma ipodhu ennidam solli kondargal.. indha paatuku... en paiyan.. puc mudichutu.. en kite varan nu therinja podhu..
indha paatai than nenachinden.. adhanala.. unaku.. un paiyanukaga matum ilai enakum dhan.. en paiyanukaga than.. endru
urimai kondadinar...........

ennoda mobile.il.. enoda caller tune.. mazhai varuvadhu........ en paiyanukaga avanudaiya B.com time il.. vaithen.. ipodhu avan.. B.com mudichu......... PGDM..mudithu .. ipodhu veru edho padika arambithu irukan... kaeten.. paatai change pannalama endu........ vendam. .indha paatae irukatum. idhu avan bhadhil........... IR..... Feelings and expressions.. Reallity to the core…..
Ushaji, overwhelmed with you, your mom and your son's feelings. noteworthy

Usha wrote:3 vaarangaluku piragu.. paiyan veetuku vandhan........ paatai pathi kaetan.. indha padam.. kadhai.. paatai pathi. elalm sonnen.
sirichindae kaetundan......... engalai paasamaga iruka vaitha oru Bridge.. indha paatu……..Plum……………
Brilliant. Nailed it! thumbsup This is true with every one of us I believe.

Thank you so much! Very Happy
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu May 09, 2013 4:02 pm

VS,
Thank u for ur kind words............ Plum dhan ezhudha vechutar............ Great Soul He is.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Plum
Haven't listened to RM album (except perhaps 50-lum). Kettuttu unga posts revisit panren

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Bala (Karthik) wrote: Kettuttu

me help?

http://tamiltunes.com/rishi-moolam.html

Please don't miss 'mazhai varuvadhu mayilukkuththeriyum'!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 pm

The saraNam of 'mazhai varuvadhu' -

"floating in the air" feel!

eththanai kOdi inbam isaiyil!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 am

plum wrote:* nEramidhu – the lethargic pull and bliss of samsAra sAgaram, and a routine day(night) in the life of a approaching-middle-age(by story, the actors were past their middle age) couple, enjoying the pleasure of navigating through the little pleasures and minor inconveniences of a reasonably comfortable life, especially the slightly bitter but sweet taste of parenthood and its attendant concerns. Raja paints the mindscape so minutely here. heck, idhellAm anubavikkaNum ArAya mudiyAdhu. If you can actually feel what I am trying to say, you are blessed.
With a little more courage, I might even watch the song again

And only a Kannadhasan can write like this. Wish his lifetime overlapped more with IR - ..thingaL oLi thingaLaip pOl ungaL piLLai ungaLaith thaan naadugiraan.. nee peRRa pillaiyin kObamum, vEgamum unnaippOl thOnRuthe :-)
.. whenever my sons get angry I blame it on my wife using this song :-)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri May 10, 2013 2:35 am

What is the raagam of mazhai varuvadhu ? Sounded like some salangai oLi song to me (reminds me of ullaasap paravaigal too) , especially the flute prelude. Only IR can take a classic raagam (?)/arrangement and give a POPish/easy listening novelty rich tune.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 am

Neramidhu didn't work at all, thanks in no small measure to TMS and PS. Liked Mazhai Varuvadhu

Kiru
I had the same question. Shanugapriya illaiyo? Or is it?

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri May 10, 2013 11:11 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:Neramidhu didn't work at all, thanks in no small measure to TMS and PS. Liked Mazhai Varuvadhu

Kiru
I had the same question. Shanugapriya illaiyo? Or is it?

Bala, I cannot identify raagams. Whenever I see a similarity I post here or consult my xls file. Apparently, thakida thathimi from salangai oLi is shanmugapriya. I am not sure I can see the similarity between the two, even though tune has been set in very similar style (in terms of note progression).
BTW, whats your point about nEramithu ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat May 11, 2013 2:44 am

avara vidunga TMS hater.
That song neramidhu - has been made for TMS only. he is tad loud at times - but the effect and feel andhaala adichukka midiyadhu.
the way his voice slides down to semi conversational - yet in raaga for "nee petra piLLayin" - that is TMS - appdiye bus footboardlendhu tharaila kaal touch pannittu thirumba eduth vechukurome andha madhiri oru jivvu..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next