Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

+15
[μsic]மாபியா
crimson king
BC
vss1902
al_gates
counterpoint
mythila
IsaiRasigan
jaiganesh
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
ank
Usha
app_engine
raagakann
19 posters

Page 26 of 31 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next

Go down

Any TN hits from "rAman adbullA"?

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap43%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap0%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap29%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_lcap14%Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  app_engine Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Also, around 1993 was the time period when there was a "paradigm shift" - of more and more stress on video (as cable TV and channels have started becoming very popular).

From that point of time, songs becoming hit simply with audio alone have started coming down drastically - i.e. for a while.

Nowadays, not many care for songs - either in audio or video form Laughing  Except some really huge budget masAlA movies (like Master) people don't care for songs in movies anymore. 

Covid has made sure that people watch Tamil movies much like how they watch English or Malayalam movies (with hardly any songs). So, hereafter, IMO, "musicals" only will have songs that become popular I think.

However, there's a separate audience / business model for songs - YT / Spotify etc - and these are not necessarily for "new film songs". Lot of interesting developments in the last couple of years!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA" - Page 26 Empty Re: Counting TFM hits of IR - now @1776 - year 1996 is WIP - poll for "rAman abdullA"

Post  BC Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:59 am

The song "Sollivudu veLLi nilave" was a Radio-hit.  Since it is an un-picturized song, it was obviously not aired on TV.  "Enakku onna" could be Tier-3 hit; not sure.

With respect to the number of views on YouTube, until a couple of years ago, if you search for an IR song, it usually gave the one with the most number of views in the first 3 results, but nowadays, such songs are "hidden" from the users.  

The only way to bring them up and out, is to search and then sort using the "Filters" criterion "View count".  Then, magically, you will get those songs back!  You will be amazed to see how many IR songs have more than 25M+ views.  YouTube has also joined hands in eclipsing IR songs and their popularity!

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Adding that one hit - for a humongous hit movie, it is a big irony that none of the songs that were picturized became hits but only a song without screen presence made it to the public Laughing

#1603 sollividu veLLi nilavE (SL-Mano duet, amaithippadai)
Very big personal favorite - what a lovely song! Of course in the wonderful voice of thangakkodi!

Moving on to the next poll - which is among the movies that had the irritating "chinna XXX" tiles - this one is jameen. I'm familiar with the IR song from this album Smile

mAnamuLLa manushanga [ada yeththanai] [Title Song]Mano / Chorus
nAn yAru yenakEthum theriyalaiyEilaiyaRaaja
oru manthArapoo vanthA manthiramAMano / K.S.Chithra
onappu thattu pullAkku vAngi tharrEnKarthik [Actor] / Swarnalatha / Chorus
adi kummAng kuththu [adi vaNNaththi poo]Mano / Swarnalatha / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:18 am

Oru manthaarappoo, Naan yaaru and Onappu thattu were superhits.

Adi vannaathippoo and MaanamuLLa (Adi yethana; adore the delectable Ghatam rhythm in the prelude) are familiar numbers; not sure if they became as popular as the 3 songs mentioned above.

Overall, a good folk album.

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Interesting to note that chinna jameen was a big hit in TN - though I was personally oblivious to it - as overwhelmingly confirmed by TN-ers. Especially on the rural side, it was a roaring success as per reports.

So adding 4 songs from this album Smile

#1604 nAn yAru enakkEdhum theriyalaiyE (IR solo, chinna jameen)
Fun "flawsafy" song by IR Smile

#1605 oru mandhArappoo vandha madhiramA (KSC-Mano duet, chnna jameen)
Sweet themmAngu duet in the typical #IR_Waltz fiormat, enjoyable!

#1606 onappu thattu bullAkku (SL with Karthik, chinna jameen)
Nice themmAngu in the golden voice of SL!

#1607 adi vaNNaththippoo pARaiyilE (SL-Mano with chorus, chinna jameen)
Another enjoyable themmAngu - especially the chorus portion - this song was reportedly a regular in rural buses!

Moving on to the next poll, for another "chinna" movie, this one for "chinnakkaNNammA" (I'm not familiar with this album at all)

kAdhal thEn kodukka koodAthAMano / S.Janaki
chinna chinna poongkodiS.Janaki / Minmini
thAyillA piLLaiyondRu [chinna chinna]Minmini
siththAdai thEnE sevvanthi poo rANiMano / Minmini
yenthan vAzhkkaiyin artham sollaMano

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:35 am

Endhan vaazhkaiyin was a superhit number, followed by Chinna chinna poongodi and Kaadhal thaen which were moderate hits.

Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:40 pm

AhA - I myself had that "endhan vAzhkkaiyin artham solla" in one of those many CD collections handed over by somebody (from whom I cannot remember).

So, bonafide hit - also confirmed by many on twitter - let me add that to our list Smile

#1608 endhan vAzhkkaiyin artham solla (Mano solo, chinnakkaNNammA)
Though not a big personal favorite, this song does have some charm. Panju was the pAdal Asiriyar as per Anbu sir's spreadsheet!

Moving on to the next album, another "chinna" one - this is thaLabathi suffix.

Anbu sir has sent me message on this album, in advance Smile

For the TFM hits documentation, Chinna Thalapathy (1993) is the Thamizh dubbing of Telugu film Repati Rowdy (1993) Starring Rahman and Amni directed by K.Vasu.
Piraisoodan is the lyricist for all the songs of Chinna Thalapathy. This information was missing from my original spreadsheet.

So, TN people please confirm if any of these were popular in TN!

appappA athE vizhA S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
yen uyirin sonthamadA kaNNA kaNNA S.P.Balasubramaniam
jum jum jum jujum oiyAri S.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
mAmanE kaNNai vai K.S.Chithra / Chorus
suthanthiram suthanthiram Mano / Chorus
uthiram uthiram [indRu yEn] K.S.Chithra / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 am

Totally unheard in Tamilnadu because of 2 reasons: 1. A Telugu original album dubbed in Tamil 2. Absolutely no promotion at all.

Here is the Telugu audio jukebox on Mio: https://mio.to/album/Repati+Rowdy+%281993%29 

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Yet another dubbed movie with no hits - pass.

The next one is also a "chinna" move - chinna thEvan. Not familiar to me :

chithirakiLi pakkam irukkuSwarnalathaVaali
ada yethirtha veettu anjugathai Malaysia Vasudevan / Saibaba / ChorusPiraisoodan
KuRRAla kARRukku maththALam yEthukkuMalaysia Vasudevan / MinminiVaali
peththu pOtta annaiyum uNduMalaysia VasudevanVaali
koththumaNi muththumaNi thottavudan kottum maNiMinminiMuthulingam
oorukkoru kAval dheivamE [yenga kuladeivamE]Malaysia Vasudevan / Minmini / ChorusVaali

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:30 am

Sithira kiLi and Kuthaala kaathukku were moderate hits.  Kothumani was a familiar number and might not be a hit.

Album Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:02 am

All songs are first time listen for me from chinna dEvan - also, many opinions from TN-ers are not very enthusiastic. Of course, the song "chithirakkiLi" sounds very nice, excellent melody and sweet singing. We need to let this album pass - with no additions to our list Embarassed

The next one should have hits - "dharma seelan" - though "anbE vA anbennum veNbA" reached me only in the internet era (or thru someone's CD collection), it is such a sensational song! However, TN-ers are the true judge in the poll Smile

kiNNAram kiNNAram kEtkuthu kEtkuthu[Title Song]S.P.Balasubramaniam
yengumuLLa allAh pErai sollu nallAS.P.Balasubramaniam / Nahoor Hanifa
thendRal varum munnE munnEArunmozhi / Minmini
iruppathai yEn maRaithu vaithAi ANdavAMano 
anbE vA anbennum veNpA sonnEn vA Mano / Swarnalatha
aiyA ithai meiyA namba thagumASunandha / Chorus
Ada sonnAl AduvEn K.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:23 am

app_engine wrote:
The next one should have hits - "dharma seelan" - though "anbE vA anbennum veNbA" reached me only in the internet era (or thru someone's CD collection), it is such a sensational song! However, TN-ers are the true judge in the poll Smile
I was frantically searching for the poll thinking my eyesight failed me!

Anyway, Anbe vaa, Yengumulla allah (oh the mighty vocals of Nagore Hanifa!) and Thendral varum were superhit numbers.  KiNNaaram and Aada chonnaal were moderate hits.

Here is the Album Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose S Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:18 am

app_engine wrote:All songs are first time listen for me from chinna dEvan - also, many opinions from TN-ers are not very enthusiastic. Of course, the song "chithirakkiLi" sounds very nice, excellent melody and sweet singing. We need to let this album pass - with no additions to our list Embarassed

Recently heard chithirakkiLi - such an emotional song, esp. the interludes and the first part of the charanams.

Jose S

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:51 pm

BC wrote:
I was frantically searching for the poll thinking my eyesight failed me!

Embarassed
Missed it - added now, but by this time most people responded Smile

app_engine

BC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:20 pm

Adding 4 hits from dharma seelan, as voted by TN-ers :

#1609 kinnAram kinnAram (SPB solo, dharma seelan)
I wasn't familiar with this when documenting the IR-SPB hits series in tfmpage. TN-ers, however, confirm that this was a moderate hit Smile

#1610 engumuLLa allA (Nahoor Hanifa / SPB duet, dharma seelan)
Another song that I wasn't familiar with during those times of tfmpage - however, this appears to be a huge hit - going by the responses of TN-ers (also YT views)

#1611 thenRal varum munnE munnE (Minmini - Arunmozhi duet, dharma seelan)
Sweet song, first time listen for me Embarassed

#1612 anbE vA anbennum veNbA (SL-Mano duet, dharma seelan)
I got acquainted with this fantastic number only in the new millennium - but, what a song!

Moving on to the next album - that needs a poll too, though I was familiar with some songs at the time of release itself Smile

enga mudhalALi

bhoomikkum sAmikkum [pANdiyanAr seemaiyilE] [Title Song]Mano / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
kungumam manjaLukku indRuthAn nalla nAlK.J.Yesudas / S.Janaki / Chorus
marumagaLE marumagaLE yenga veettu marumagaLES.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
kolli malai sAralilE koothal kARRu veesaiyilEMano / Swarnalatha
mahathAna uRavugaLai manathAra nambiyathuS.P.Balasubramaniam

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 am

Kungumam manjaLukku and MarumagaLe are superhits; Boomikkum saamikkum is a moderate hit.

Album Jukebox on IR-O:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Adding 4 hits from that album for a Vijaykanth movie.

#1613 boomikkum sAmikkum (KSC-Mano with chorus, enga mudhalALi)
Possibly a crowd song in the movie, with a lot of enthu

#1614 kungumam manjaLukku inRu dhAn nalla nAL (SJ-KJY duet, enga mudhalALi)
Nice song but for some reason I could not listen to this in repeat (possibly SJ sounds aged)

#1615 marumagaLE marumagaLE (KSC-SPB duet, enga mudhalALi)
What a lovely song! With the typical #IR_Waltz themmAngu mettu and sounds. And some awesome vocals!

#1616 kolli malai chAralilE (SL-Mano duet, enga mudhalALi)
When some suggested in twitter, I wasn't sure - but there are multiple versions of this song with millions of views on YT - possibly reached masses then (and definitely in the internet era).

Moving on to the next album, "I love India" - that had lot of advertisement those days...

Adi varum pallAkku S.Janaki / Chorus
yengirunthO yennai azhaithathennaS.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki / Chorus
pAsam vaiththa mullai ondRaiilaiyaRaaja
kuRukku pAthaiyilE maRichu vazhiyil niRkkumS.P.Balasubramaniam / Minmini / Chorus
kARRu poovai pArthu kooRAthO I love youS.P.Balasubramaniam / Minmini / Chorus

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:20 am

Almost a superhit album, with the exception of Paasam vaitha.  Though the song Kaatru poovai was un-picturized, it was a popular song back then.

Album is available on Mio, Gaana and Spotify.

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41 pm

Per most people, 3 songs were super hits from this album (like I mentioned, this was one IR album that got advertised a lot in 90's - unlike his previous albums that needed no promotion to sell).

Also, this was the era of "picturizations with lot of expense" only could make for multiple TV promotions Embarassed 

So, music was slowly taking back seat...I can go on complaining but those are now history anyways:)

#1617 Adi varum pallAkku (SJ with chorus, I love India)
Super hit song with some tribal rhythm concoction and such - despite the positives, for some reason I don't have the patience to listen the whole song (unless it was played on me as involuntary listen)...something lacking Embarassed

#1618 engirundhO ennai azhaiththadhenna (SJ-SPB duet, I love India)
This song is also certified by TN-ers to be a super hit (though I've heard this only in recent times and did not cover in the IR-SPB series of tfmpage)

#1619 kuRukku pAthaiyilE (Minmini-SPB with chorus, I love India)
Another super hit as per TN-ers but never reached me before Embarassed

Left out the melodious kAtru poovai song - interestingly, I've definitely heard this in 90's somewhere (may be tea stalls or buses) but never realized it was an IR song Embarassed

Next poll for the dubbed album "iLam nenjE vA" (never heard any of the songs before). 

Anbu sir informed me the original - "Tholi muddu" (Telugu)

chittu kuruviyai pOl reNdu rakkaikaL kattikkuvOmS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
vAzhvA maraNamA peNmai sAbamAS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
muttai kOzhi hEy hEy pottai kOzhiS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
ini velvathu nAm ini velvathu nAmS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra / Chorus
ithu bombayi poNNu dOiS.P.Balasubramaniam / Chorus
oru muththam oru muththamS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:10 am

An exception here: Only the song "Sittu kuruviyai pol" was a hit, often played more on Radio than Television.  Other than that, the rest were unknown, but of course it is a superhit album in Tollywood.

Telugu Album:

The popular Tamil song:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm

Interesting, Sanjeevi also confirmed that dubbed song to be a hit in TN - let's add this to our list.

#1620 chiitukkuruviyaippOl reNdu rekkaigaL (KSC-SPB duet, iLam nenjE vA)
Song sounds sweet, typical #IR_Waltz themmAngu!

Next one is a dubbed movie as well, this one from the same name in Malayalam - Mammootty as hero, jackpot.

I love the AkAsham song in misra nadai. Let us ask TN-ers how this fared in TN :

AgAyam bhoolOgam yengEyum un kOlamS.P.Balasubramaniam / K.S.Chithra
muththu muththu pOtti pOttu [dheemthanakku dheemthanakku]S.P.Balasubramaniam / Swarnalatha / Chorus
hEy kuRumbukAra Attam suthanthira nAttamSunandha / Chorus
yennenna Asai nee yennai kEttukOSunandha / Chorus
ithu kAdhal nenjam kavithai pAdum nEramK.S.Chithra
kaNNA kaNNA unnaithAnE nAn thEduREnK.S.Chithra

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 am

Absolutely unheard in TN.  Hit album in Mollywood.

Tamil version is on Mio: https://mio.to/album/Jackpot+%281993%29+-+Tamil 

Malayalam Original Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:24 am

So, "pass" for jackpot. Of course, AkAsham is such a fantastic number - however, I didn't like it's TN version - though it says KSC, the female voice sounds like someone else Embarassed

Next album "kAthirukka nEramillai" needs a poll - I have no idea this existed all those years until internet happened Smile

Recently I captured lyrics for a number of songs from this album for the Pulamaipithan thread - otherwise was not familiar with most of them.

Let us see what TN-ers think :

nilavai nilavai ippO nee pudikkum nEramMano / Minmini / Chorus
yE machchi machchi iyaru kadai bajjiMano / S.N.Surendar / Sundarajan / Chorus
thuLiyO thuLi muththu thuLiK..S.Chithra
Oh... kasthuri mAnE mAnE ilaiyaRaaja
kAttiloru kAdaikku nAn kaNNi vachchEnMano / S.N.Surendar / Sundarajan / Chorus
vA kAthirukka nEramillaiS.P.Balasubramaniam / S.Janaki

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:10 am

Vaa kaathirukka neramillai, Hey machchi machchi and Nilava nilava are superhits.  ThuLiyo thuLi is a moderate hit.

Album Jukebox:

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  raagakann Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:52 am

Oh.. Kasturi Maane Maane was also a moderate hit..  A beautiful short melody with IR's haunting voice..

Thulio Thuli is such a lovely melody with a catchy rhythm thru out the song.  Mystery why this was not a hit..!

raagakann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 31 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next