Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

+33
kameshratnam
soco_sri
mythila
crimson king
Wizzy
Shank
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Sakalakala Vallavar
Manoj Raj
Kr
d22_malarr
ank
kamalaakarsh
irfan123
இசை
AbhiMusiq
vicks
panniapurathar
irir123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
groucho070
prakash
V_S
plum
writeface
sagi
fring151
Raaga_Suresh
counterpoint
Balu
kiru
vaticanscientist
37 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 33 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Wed May 18, 2016 12:26 pm

thanks verymuch, ravi sir and V_S!
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 33 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  app_engine Wed May 18, 2016 9:31 pm

தேர்தலை புறக்கணித்த  it seems

எப்படியெல்லாம் டிசைன் டிசைனா எழுதுறாங்கப்பா! Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Fri May 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Raja's interview......

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/how-to-name-it/article8621385.ece

Technology is a temptation. A good mind should tell the difference between noise and music,” he adds.

"All music is afterall a continuation and reinterpretation of tradition. “It was not just interpretation. For the first time in the history of music, here I was, trying to say that Indian music and Western music are not different. There are several artistes who do fusion between Indian and Western, and they need not have meeting points. But I for the first time, harmonized every Indian music note. It was Ilaiyaraja who proved that Indian music can also have harmony. Sadly, not one person from the music world discussed my work.”"

Ravinat. IR harmony patri solli kolgirar.........

IR Fans..ellarukum irukum varutham........ anyway........... India vil yarukum thagudhi ilai.. idhai patri pesa.. idhu dhan en ennam......... avvalavu periya
vishayam.. ivar seidhu irupadhu.............

I dare a last question, “Are you a very spiritual person….?” “Why would I be here if I was? I could have achieved it in my studio.”

Walking down the stairs was not a decrescendo – inverting the theory of music, I was on a high note.

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Thoroughly enlightening interview applause As always straight from heart and no udaans!!! Nicely written by Deepa Ganesh.
Even if you are my grandchild, you are wrong. That's my Maestro.

Thanks Ushaji for sharing Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Usha wrote:Raja's interview......

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/how-to-name-it/article8621385.ece

Technology is a temptation. A good mind should tell the difference between noise and music,” he adds.

"All music is afterall a continuation and reinterpretation of tradition. “It was not just interpretation. For the first time in the history of music, here I was, trying to say that Indian music and Western music are not different. There are several artistes who do fusion between Indian and Western, and they need not have meeting points. But I for the first time, harmonized every Indian music note. It was Ilaiyaraja who proved that Indian music can also have harmony. Sadly, not one person from the music world discussed my work.”"

Ravinat. IR harmony patri solli kolgirar.........

IR Fans..ellarukum irukum varutham........ anyway........... India vil yarukum thagudhi ilai.. idhai patri pesa.. idhu dhan en ennam......... avvalavu periya
vishayam.. ivar seidhu irupadhu.............

I dare a last question, “Are you a very spiritual person….?” “Why would I be here if I was? I could have achieved it in my studio.”

Walking down the stairs was not a decrescendo – inverting the theory of music, I was on a high note.
Usha

Glad he is talking about his work on harmonizing Indian music. This is his great contribution to IFM. I have been writing about this for the last 10 years. He needs to be a bit more loud and clear about his contribution and stop trying to make passing remark. Damn this world as it already thinks he's arrogant.

BTW , it is from CSR that I learned about this unique aspect of Raja.

He needs to document how he does this business of harmony with Indian music. This should not disappear with him. To this date I cannot fully comprehend how he does it.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat May 21, 2016 10:32 am

V_S,

Welcome.. oru chinna correction.. My Maestro illai. OUR Maestro.......... Smile

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat May 21, 2016 10:36 am

ravinat wrote:
Usha wrote:Raja's interview......

quote]
Usha

Glad he is talking about his work on harmonizing Indian music. This is his great contribution to IFM. I have been writing about this for the last 10 years. He needs to be a bit more loud and clear about his contribution and stop trying to make passing remark. Damn this world as it already thinks he's arrogant.

BTW , it is from CSR that I learned about this unique aspect of Raja.

He needs to document how he does this business of harmony with Indian music. This should not disappear with him. To this date I cannot fully comprehend how he does it.

Ravinat...

IR sonnadhai padichadhum.. Ungalai than nenachen..  Harmony patri...... S.. thannudaiya work patri sollum podhu.. Inum Gambeeramaga solla vendum.
apodhu dhan indha India ku theiryum........

CSR.... ivar periya intelligent....... adhai ellam purindhu kolla enaku indha jenmathil arivu kedaiyadhu... neenga theridhu kondeergala. U R Great ravinat....
(anal.. Unga blog sollum unga intellegenceai patri.)

Last edited by Usha on Sat May 21, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Sat May 21, 2016 10:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2y1xxmPaw

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  irfan123 Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 am

http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/baradwaj-rangan-on-growing-up-in-the-ilayaraja-era/article8629657.ece?homepage=true

BR on IR 40 Very Happy

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun May 22, 2016 4:35 am

Excellent article by Sureshji :

https://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2016/05/21/raja-40-why-is-this-man-still-relevant/

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun May 22, 2016 5:25 am

Thanks app. I was coming to post here and saw you had already posted it Smile

I think it is very important for us Raja fans to keep reminding others that Raja is still very relevant and that is basically because of his music and not because of any PR stunts.

Ravi Natarajan and Jaiganesh have given some good comments in my blog. Worth reading their take as well.

Maybe  it is worth asking others for their views as well. I will probably start a new thread on this.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  ank Sun May 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:Thanks app. I was coming to post here and saw you had already posted it Smile

I think it is very important for us Raja fans to keep reminding others that Raja is still very relevant and that is basically because of his music and not because of any PR stunts.

Ravi Natarajan and Jaiganesh have given some good comments in my blog. Worth reading their take as well.

Maybe  it is worth asking others for their views as well. I will probably start a new thread on this.

Suresh:

My views about music in general and IR is very similar to yours as expressed in your blog, including the one about the Rahman and the PR efforts about the humility. You have captured the greatness of IR's music and communicated that beautifully.

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sun May 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks ank

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 am

One more GEM for IR.......

Sollum peyaril evvalavu periya vishayam iruku endru therindhu kolla vaipar.....

The Alchemist and his Total Madhyama Eclipse

This is definitely a first, although in the end it makes a lot of sense in this song. Because Gm will of course have the note G (Duh!!) and that is the note which has been precisely omitted in this song. So to what extent would you go to not show that Madhyamam!! To the very end it would seem after listening to the song!! Everyday there is something to learn when you are listening to this man !

Perhaps for him, its a natural process to subconsciously avoid that Madhyamam. But his answer of D Major - F# Major combination in a Sarasaangi derivative is unprecedented. Its an absolutely original Ilaiyaraaja idea. 

This is a beautiful Shadava - Shadava janya scale, which at least I have not heard before. I looked up in the net and it seems this Janya Raaga is called 'Kala' or 'Karaala' or 'Taralam'. I am tempted to name this as the first song in this scale . Viewers who know other songs in this scale or know more about it , please let me know. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDKCSUVIig

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

kadhal oviyam from Alaigal Oivadhillai

VV.. apodhu soli irukar. ipadi...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHAjY-p_aEI

Uploaded on Nov 30, 2009
Disclaimer: I am not a guitarist ! 

Still the reason why I uploaded this video is to highlight some beautiful chords in this song - especially in the stanzas, that starts at DM7th and proceeds as:
DM7th Gmin = Thendralile
F# Bm = Midhandhu Varum
E A = Then malare
Aeee = F#

There is simply no other Indian composer who can pack so much chords in so little time.. 

And yet not one chord is unnecessary.. Not one chord is mistimed.. Not one chord is out of place. The Chord arrangement fits the melody to the T. Overall aesthetic beauty is stunning.. That is Ilaiyaraaja ! 

IR recent aga solli irukar.. paatai patri....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbe_FdInHLM

Great Vicky.........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 24, 2016 4:57 pm

marumagaL into dubbing

உங்க மாமா இளையராஜா பத்தி கேட்காம விட்டுருவோமா? 

எனக்கு அதுல எப்பவுமே பெருமைதான்! எங்க சொந்த ஊரு பண்ணைபுரம். ராஜா சாரோட மனைவியோட சொந்த தம்பி பொண்ணு நான். குழந்தையா இருக்கும்போது ராஜா சாரோட செல்லபிள்ளை நான். என்னோட இதயத்திற்கு ரொம்ப நெருக்கமானவர் ராஜா சார். இப்பவும் நான்னா அவருக்கு ரொம்ப பிடிக்கும். போன வருஷம் ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சிக்காக அவர் வீட்டுக்கு போகணும். வழக்கம் போலவே லேட்டா போய்ட்டேன். கிளம்பும் போது, “சொந்தக்காரங்கள்லாம் இப்போ விருந்தாளி மாதிரி வந்துட்டுப் போறாங்க?”னு என்னைப் பார்த்து ராஜா சார் சொல்லவும் ரொம்ப ஃபீல் பண்ணினேன். ஸாரி ராஜா சார்!  

அவர்கூட நடந்த எதாவது ஜாலியான சம்பவம்? 

சின்னவயசுல தேவர்மகன் ரிலீஸ் நேரம், அவரோட பாட்டு “ உன் கழுத்தில் மாலையிட.. உன்னிரண்டு தோளைத்தொட.. என்ன தவம் செய்தேனோ என் மாமா...”  இந்தப் பாட்டை சத்தமா பாடிட்டிருந்தேன்.  டக்னு இளையராஜா சார் வந்து நின்னு,  “என்னம்மா, மாமாவ கூப்பிட்டியா..  இதோ வாரேன்?” கிண்டலா சொன்னத இப்பவும் மறக்கமுடியாது.

Such Q&A's show some of the "shoulder-iRakkina" moments of IR Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Yet another newbie MD with IR adulation

குட்டி(2001) தமிழ்படத்தின் மூலம் தேசிய விருது பெற்ற இயக்குநர் ஜானகி விஸ்வநாதனின் படம் ஆழி. இப்படம் தமிழ் சினிமாவில் தனிப்பெயர் பெற்றுத்தரும் என நம்பிக்கை தெரிவித்த பவனுக்கு இன்ஸ்பிரேஷன் இளையராஜா.

"ராஜா சார் எனக்கு மட்டுமில்லை.. இசையை நேசிக்கும் எல்லாருக்கும் இன்ஸ்பிரேஷன் என்றால் அவர்தான்," என்கிறார். 

ரீமிக்ஸ் பாடல்களில் தனக்கு என்றுமே உடன்பாடில்லை எனும் பவன் முக்கியத்துவம் தர விரும்புவது மெலடிக்குதானாம்!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 24, 2016 5:12 pm

critic on kutRamE thaNdaNai

On the down side is the ridiculously overbearing score from Tamil film music legend Ilayaraja, which is an overbearing mess of conflicted emotional manipulation. The music whips from the bass-y tones of a taut thriller to the jauntier strains of a pure romance. In Indian films this is pretty much par for the course, however, this film is not a romance at any point, so the music really saps all of the tension from these scenes, and what's worse is that it is really the only sour note in the entire film. I'm convinced that a pulse-pounding thriller lives inside the body of Crime is Punishment, but it is hidden behind this background score that truly does the film a disservice.

Embarassed

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ank Tue May 24, 2016 7:11 pm

app_engine wrote: critic on kutRamE thaNdaNai

On the down side is the ridiculously overbearing score from Tamil film music legend Ilayaraja, which is an overbearing mess of conflicted emotional manipulation. The music whips from the bass-y tones of a taut thriller to the jauntier strains of a pure romance. In Indian films this is pretty much par for the course, however, this film is not a romance at any point, so the music really saps all of the tension from these scenes, and what's worse is that it is really the only sour note in the entire film. I'm convinced that a pulse-pounding thriller lives inside the body of Crime is Punishment, but it is hidden behind this background score that truly does the film a disservice.

Embarassed

I read this one too.  So I did some search on the critic whose last name is Hurtado.  What I found out is this guy, despite a non-indian name maybe just a name he writes under, seems to be an Indian guy.  He graduated just in 2008 with some degree as a film critic.  He lives in Dallas and writes reviews on all Indian movies (and just Indian websites) for this one website - not just Indian films that releases in the US or in film festivals but all movies.  He writes regular reviews on all Tamil, Telugu, Hindi films for this one website he writes for.  While I was irritated by his false medhavi comments, after I saw his background felt that his stature and background is nothing that signifies expertise or knowledge about film background score.  You just have to take it as his sensibilities derived from his socio-cultural, psychographic and knowledge base biases.  He is no Siskel-Ebert!

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  panniapurathar Tue May 24, 2016 7:34 pm

ank wrote:
app_engine wrote: critic on kutRamE thaNdaNai

Embarassed

I read this one too.  So I did some search on the critic whose last name is Hurtado.  What I found out is this guy, despite a non-indian name maybe just a name he writes under, seems to be an Indian guy.  He graduated just in 2008 with some degree as a film critic.  He lives in Dallas and writes reviews on all Indian movies (and just Indian websites) for this one website - not just Indian films that releases in the US or in film festivals but all movies.  He writes regular reviews on all Tamil, Telugu, Hindi films for this one website he writes for.  While I was irritated by his false medhavi comments, after I saw his background felt that his stature and background is nothing that signifies expertise or knowledge about film background score.  You just have to take it as his sensibilities derived from his socio-cultural, psychographic and knowledge base biases.  He is no Siskel-Ebert!
Thank you ank!  I had such a hunch while reading it and was about to do some digging up.  You made this easy with your post!

panniapurathar

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Somewhat old (#IR_1000 time) - got from the comments section in the BR blog:
https://anandkumarrs.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/ilayaraja-1000/

Many times as I listen to the song/BGM and watch the movie I wonder with astonishment as to how Raja would have actually came up with that particular tune or the score.  To be a fly on the wall of Raja’s recording studio is my dream. In second thoughts being spider on the wall is better (a fly makes a buzzing noise).

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 26, 2016 5:55 pm

அது வேற கனவு ராசைய்யா

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 27, 2016 6:33 pm

I didn't get a chance to read this article when it originally arrived, but still an interesting read :

http://www.kalachuvadu.com/issue-189/page34.asp

மனிதன் ஒன்றும் இயந்திரமல்ல. இதன்படி இங்கு இந்திப் பாடல்கள் கேட்கும் புலப்படாத ரசனையின் உணர்வெழுச்சியை இந்தி எதிர்ப்பு அரசியல் என்ற பிரக்ஞை மட்டுமே மாற்றவில்லை. ஆனால் அந்த அரசியல் பிரக்ஞையோடு தொடர்பில்லாத இளையராஜா என்ற கலைஞனின் இசை, அதை மாற்றுவதில் பங்கு வகித்திருக்கிறது. மதிவாணன் அரசியலையும் கலையையும் வேறுவேறாகக் கருதியிருந்து பிறகு இரண்டையும் ஒன்றையொன்று மாற்றீடாகக் கொள்ளவில்லை. அவரிடம் இம்மாற்றம் இயல்பாக நடந்திருக்கிறது. பின்னால் யோசித்துப் பார்க்கும் போதுதான் அரசியல் பிரக்ஞையோடு நடந்திருக்க வேண்டிய மாற்றத்தை அவற்றோடு தொடர்பில்லாத இசை நிகழ்த்தியிருப்பதை அவர் சொல்லும்போது நாம் உணர்கிறோம். இப்போதும் இளையராஜா இதற்கு உரிமை கோரப் போவதில்லை என்பதை மனதில் வைத்தே இதையும் நாம் பேச வேண்டியுள்ளது. இங்கு நம் பிரச்சினை இளையராஜா என்கிற தனிநபரில்லை.

ஒத்த கருத்துகளோ உரிமைகோரல்களோ இல்லாமல் இன்னும் சொல்லப்போனால் கருத்தளவில் எதிரானவராகப் பார்க்கப்பட்டு வரும் ஒருவரால் இயல்பாக நிகழ்த்தப்பட்ட வரலாற்றுப் பங்களிப்பை வரலாற்றில் எங்கு வைக்கப் போகிறோம்? அரசியல் முடிபுகளால் வரையறை செய்யப்படும் நம் வரலாற்று நூல்களிலும் அறிவுஜீவிகளின் சிந்தனா விவாதங்களிலும் இதற்கான இடமிருக்கிறதா?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Fantastic article :
 1-இளையராஜா எனும் இசையியக்கம்

இன்று 1000 படங்களும், 40 ஆண்டுகளும் கடந்து எண்ணிக்கை அளவிலும் செவ்விசை பொற்கால நாயகர்களை நினைவுபடுத்திச் சென்று கொண்டிருக்கும் இந்த இசையியக்கத்தை, இன்றைய “உடனடி” சூழலிலிருந்து மட்டுமல்லாமல், இசை வரலாற்றின் பின்னணியிலும், பிற இசையியக்கங்களுக்கு அருகிலும் வைத்து புரிந்து கொள்ளப் பட வேண்டும் என்ற விருப்பமே இத்தொடர் கட்டுரை. இப்படிப் பார்ப்பதன் மூலமே தமிழ் இசைச் சூழலின் வரலாற்றையும், அதன் சிக்கலையும், ராஜாவின் முக்கியத்துவத்தையும், அவர் நிரப்பும் வெற்றிடங்களையும், அவரது இசையின் வழியாக விளைந்திருக்கும் துவக்கப்புள்ளிகளையும், உலக இசையரங்கில் அவரது தனித்துவத்தையும், ராஜாவின் உயர்ந்த முயற்சிகளையும், அவர் இசையில் சங்கமிக்கும் இசை வரலாறுகளையும் இசைத்தத்துவங்களையும் நம்மால் ஓரளவேனும் புரிந்து கொள்ள முடியும்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon May 30, 2016 5:49 am

Wow! Wow! What an article!! applause I read multiple times to not just understand more, to enjoy more. Thanks Appji for sharing.

Really loved the explanation of Bach's Cantatas and his other works and how it was admired at that time. 
Bach Leipzig நகரில் தேவாலய இசைக்கலைஞராக(church cantor) வேலைக்கு சேர்கிறார்.அங்கே ஒவ்வொரு வாரமும் கூடும் தேவாலயக் கூட்டங்களில் இசைப்பதற்கு பாடல்கள் இயற்றும் பணி. வாரம் ஒரு தொகுப்பென சுமார் 300 தொகுப்புகள். இத்தொகுப்புகள் மிகத்தாமதாகத்தான் பரவலாக வெளிச்சம் பெற்றன. ஏனெனில் இவை தேவாலய இசை எனும் பின்னணியில் சுருக்கப்பட்டு கவனிப்பின்றி இருந்தவை. Bach இயற்றிய பிற படைப்புகளுக்கு இணையாக (well tempered clavier, Art of Fugue, Brandenburg concertos) இவை ஆரம்பத்தில் பேசப்பட்டதில்லை.  

நேர்மாறாக தமிழ்ச்சூழலில் ராஜாவின் மேதமை பரவலாக அறியப்பட்டாலும் அவரை ஒரு சினிமா இசையமைப்பாளராக, தமிழ் உணர்வுதளம் மட்டும் சார்ந்த இசையமைப்பாளராக,  ஒரு காலகட்டத்தின் இசையமைப்பாளராக இன்னும் பல்வேறு வகையில் சிலர் சுருக்கும்  போக்குகளைக் காணலாம்.

இசையின் மேன்மையை அதன் பண்புதான் உணர்த்துமே அல்லாமல் அதன் இயங்கு தளமோ, புறகாரணிகளோ அல்ல. ராஜாவை இயங்கும் களத்தை வைத்தும், அவரது இசை மக்களின் இசையாகவும் திகழ்வதாலும் சுருக்கும் போக்குகளின் அபத்தத்தையும், இவற்றைக் கடந்து ராஜாவை அணுக வேண்டிய தேவைகளையும் குறிக்கவே மேற்சொன்ன ஒப்பீடு.

ஏனெனில் உலக இசையியக்கங்களின் இணையியக்கமாகவும், இதன் பின்னணியற்ற நமது சூழலில் இவ்விசையியக்கங்களின் சாளரமாகவும் இன்று ராஜாவின் இசை திகழ்கிறது.

இன்று 1000 படங்களும், 40 ஆண்டுகளும் கடந்து எண்ணிக்கை அளவிலும் செவ்விசை பொற்கால நாயகர்களை நினைவுபடுத்திச் சென்று கொண்டிருக்கும் இந்த இசையியக்கத்தைஇன்றையஉடனடிசூழலிலிருந்து மட்டுமல்லாமல், இசை வரலாற்றின் பின்னணியிலும், பிற இசையியக்கங்களுக்கு அருகிலும் வைத்து புரிந்து கொள்ளப் பட வேண்டும் என்ற விருப்பமே இத்தொடர் கட்டுரை.

Such a wonderful writing with nuanced analysis. One of the most important and compelling articles on Maestro. Very well done. Looking forward to the next part Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next