Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

+33
kameshratnam
soco_sri
mythila
crimson king
Wizzy
Shank
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Sakalakala Vallavar
Manoj Raj
Kr
d22_malarr
ank
kamalaakarsh
irfan123
இசை
AbhiMusiq
vicks
panniapurathar
irir123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
groucho070
prakash
V_S
plum
writeface
sagi
fring151
Raaga_Suresh
counterpoint
Balu
kiru
vaticanscientist
37 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 17 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  Usha Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 pm

oru kili urugudhu from vicky.... paatu kaetkum podhu theiryum.. paatin speed... variety of instrumentation..........unmaiyil
achievemenet dhan.......

Sweetnesssssssssssssss from vicky....... adhu dhan avaroda special............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsZHP89d944

Usha

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 17 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:25 pm

ஒரு பூவனத்துல சுகம் குளுகுளுங்குது

Next part in the hindu paper Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:33 pm

rAsA visited MSV in hospital as per this report

இளையராஜா எம்எஸ்வியின் அருகில் போய், "அண்ணா, சாப்பிடுங்கள்... நீங்க சீக்கிரம் எழுந்து வரணும்," என்றார். 

ஆனால் எம்எஸ்வியோ, "எனக்கு எதுவும் வேண்டாம். நீங்க சாப்பிடுங்க ராஜா," என்று சைகையில் கூறினார். 

அதற்கு இளையராஜா, 'சரி, நான் சாப்பிடறேன். அப்ப நீங்களும் சாப்பிடுவீங்களா?' என்று கேட்டதும், சரி சாப்பிடுகிறேன் என்றார் எம்எஸ்வி. உடனே அங்கிருந்தவர்களிடம் கூறி இருவருக்கும் உணவு கொண்டு வரச் சொன்னார்கள். எம்எஸ்விக்காக கொண்டுவரப்பட்ட உணவை, இளையராஜா வாங்கி, தன் கையாலேயே அவருக்கு ஊட்டிவிட்டார். 

சிறிதளவு உணவு உட்கொண்ட பிறகு, போதும் என்று எம்எஸ்வி சொல்லிவிட்டார். 

இளையராஜா அங்கிருந்து கிளம்பும்போது, "அண்ணா சீக்கிரம் குணமாகி நம்ம ஸ்டுடியோவுக்கு வாருங்கள். உங்களுக்கு ஒரு சர்ப்ரைஸ் வைத்திருக்கிறேன்," என்று கூறிவிட்டு வந்தார்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:40 pm

I hope I am proven wrong but I doubt in my lifetime I'll get to see another pair of legends with such a lasting relationship as MSV-IR's. Hope MSV recovers soon, as his presence around still seems to inspire something in IR to keep pushing boundaries

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:07 pm

IR & PM, sangeethakkanavugaL

I've read this "chudachchuda" when it originally appeared in kumudam.

It's as fresh to read as it was that day!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks ji for sharing this lovely article. So refreshing to read Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:36 am

IPRS & IR

Whatever be the reasons behind, IR is getting distracted, at the minimum Sad

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Hardly hearing any IR on Chennai radio for past several weeks and hardly seen anyone talking about it anywhere. Not even in erstwhile primetime IR slots have I been hearing anything lately. It's AR, AR, AR on 92.7. If it is to do with the recent radio show - royalties spat, then looks like FM stations aren't really affected and may in fact be business as usual even after blacking out IR and replacing, infact overdosing with AR (92.7 seems to have 2 effing 3 hr ARR slots hosted by the insufferable Anuradha Sriram). Make what you will of it, but to me the message is clear - "We are still in business. We don't need IR to survive. We are willing to pay AR royalties but not IR. But hey, no one even seems to care or notice IR is missing on radio these days, so it's all good."

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Hardly hearing any IR on Chennai radio for past several weeks and hardly seen anyone talking about it anywhere. Not even in erstwhile primetime IR slots have I been hearing anything lately. It's AR, AR, AR on 92.7. If it is to do with the recent radio show - royalties spat, then looks like FM stations aren't really affected and may in fact be business as usual even after blacking out IR and replacing, infact overdosing with AR (92.7 seems to have 2 effing 3 hr ARR slots hosted by the insufferable Anuradha Sriram). Make what you will of it, but to me the message is clear - "We are still in business. We don't need IR to survive. We are willing to pay AR royalties but not IR. But hey, no one even seems to care or notice IR is missing on radio these days, so it's all good."
92.7 has been ARR-ised almost 1 year back. Other channels are the key - it is not bad at all. I heard Anandham Anandham nee thandhadhu yesterday. No blackout and all. We'll see...

As I and app have been thalappAdA adichufying for years, nationalisation is the only way forward. Karthikeyanukku oru 500 kOdi thaLLittu nationalise paNNalAmE. edhedhukkO spend paNdrAnung idhukku oru 500 kOdi koduththa korainjaa poyiruvom..

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:42 pm

IR and copyright issue has been one of the most untimely stunts by him. Let's just go with the facts.

He is 72 and has already delivered 95% or more of his output.

Of this 95%, more than 90% of it happened prior to 1994 - that's 22 years ago!

In other words, all the cars that filled gas are already on the road and he thinks that the traffic will stop because, they took the gas from him. They fill their gas elsewhere. His gas stations are located several kilometers away from today's commercial highways.

He is a musical genius, but these kind of stunts prove that he is 'just' a musical genius.

I agree with Fring151 - today's media business does not need him. He needs them.

In business, when you need someone, to do well, you negotiate, show flexibility and are willing to swallow your pride. Not run to the courts and think that you can muscle them to fall in line (even though you have no muscle)

What's painful is to see is that we all know that Raja is not business savvy - the people around him seem equally stupid.

If he had done this in 1985, he could have changed the rules of the game. Unfortunately, he did not even see this coming even in the 90s. He is perhaps, 30 years late in what he intends doing. When the market leaders do not care, why should he worry, when he has less than 5% of his life's output at stake. Even his 5% output does not reach the masses, anyway.

When the media reports about his speeches in this matter, he must realize that the print media is taking advantage of his remaining popularity. If Shanker-Ganesh makes such a statement, how many media publications will publish it?  What he needs to realize is that this stunt has his name attached to it and has his reputation riding on it.

The biggest loser in this stunt is himself.

Apparently, according to a contact of mine, Yesudas did something equally stupid with Tharangini and eventually chose to shut himself up and survive.

Instead of wasting his time on such frivolous pursuits, he should focus on ensuring that all his songs' score sheets are formally archived, his background scores formally released as he can be a pioneer in creating a new musical segment in India. Even today, background score compilations are never released formally like the West. This will be a niche market that he can capitalize on. All this requires 'business savvy' vision, which neither Raja nor his coterie have.

Finally, he needs to perhaps ask a question on how he wants to be remembered after his time. It can be one of two versions:

Version 1 : A respected musical genius who made path breaking innovations and rose several times from oblivion giving all younger competitors a run for their money till his last day.

Version 2 : A respected musical genius who made path breaking innovations and rose several times from oblivion giving all younger competitors a run for their money, but wasted his last years in frivolous pursuits such as copyright issues that almost obliterated his music in the Indian media

The choice is Raja's.

Last edited by ravinat on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 pm

hi ravinat, the harsh reality you have written without mincing words really hurts Sad

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:30 am

mythila wrote:hi ravinat, the harsh reality you have written without mincing words really hurts Sad
Sadly, I also have to agreed with ravinat. I think copyrights/patents are difficult to enforce in the indian environment. The best way is to collect the money upfront as fees and let the owners find ways to recoup it. I think, this is what Rahman does now and I have a suspicion IR also did it earlier. It is no point going back and trying to reinvent or if that's not the case trying to enforce some thing which has not been done before. It might feel bad to see your work being used by others now in a financially successful way, but, this is a 'deal'  that has been already dealt.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:13 am

"We are still in business. We don't need IR to survive. We are willing to pay AR royalties but not IR. But hey, no one even seems to care or notice IR is missing on radio these days, so it's all good."

correction AR doesn't get paid any royalties for any of his tamil works OTOH gets paid for hindi(noticeable given his little air time in other metro city FMs).

today's media business does not need him. He needs them.

in what way? how long will they play ethupona SA Rajkumar tracks? already Radio One station in Sennai has gone completly 'bollywood' to buck the trend.

His gas stations are located several kilometers away from today's commercial highways.

indeed  Smile 

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 3 - Page 17 19244213200_b783fe0b64_c
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 am

I agree with Wizz. To answer Fring, I was in Kumbakonam over the weekend. Sun Life seems to run its life by almost ONLY playing Raaja's chartbusters from the 80s and early 90s. Heck, in Swamimalai, over and behind the hillock, Raaja's chartbusters were wafting through the evening. I was even humming Enna Satham Indha Neram with the radio systems doing pradakshanam around the temple. And on FM stations other than Big (yes that's completely ARR-ised, but even ARR fans are unable to bear Anuradha Sriram Razz), Suriyan FM played a few IR songs even 2-3 days back. Vividh Bharathi, FM Gold and Rainbow (govt. owned stations) play a solid dose of Raaja in the nights, especially post 9 PM. Jaya Max TV channel has an hour of Raaja's songs in the night from 9-10 each day. Almost all of them play his superhits that are in popular memory and don't go the extra mile in helping folks unearth his unknown classics. But that was the case previously too wasn't it?

Reason: They pay him his royalty.

And in that meet with stage singers (whose career is driven by Raaja. 50% of 75% of stage singers' songs on stage are Raaja hits) he asked them to decide a rate and pay him, no matter how small the amount is. He states he merely wants them to respect his Intellectual Property Rights. He is after these big corporations that mint money using his name. If all these commercial highways are several kilometers away from Raaja's station, how did Mirchi run a successful Neenga Naan Raaja Sir which was soora mokkai except for the Raaja songs that sold the show for 3 yrs or how did Radio City's 91.1 days of Raaja sir songs with 600 of his 5000 songs increase their ads ten fold? Truth is Raaja's songs, especially his 90% output till 1994, is still in supreme demand among consumers. And how is Raaja wrong in asking these corporations to respect his IPR when they earn zillions using his name? I'm afraid I disagree with ravinat and think some of us are overreacting here.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Read for AMUSEMENT purpose ONLY

Another link

VM's son business Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:58 pm

The Hindu next part

இது எப்படி இருக்கு - எங்கும் நிறைந்த இயற்கையில் என்ன சுகமோ!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:24 pm

app_engine wrote: Read for AMUSEMENT purpose ONLY

Another link

VM's son business Laughing
Comments la indha Mike Patel. Yaaru avar? enna kulam? Patel surname la eppidi perceptive comments about Raaja of all people? Recruit seyya mudiyumA?
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  d22_malarr Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello every one , how are you all ? It seems like ages since my last post/visit. 
Hope that every one is doing well.

d22_malarr

Back to top Go down

Post  d22_malarr Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2gq56Tz3HE

Ae zindagi gale laga le, probably the most known IR song in hindi.. 

Can any one translate what are they saying in Marathi, 

i can understand thoda thoda hindi from all my years watching the 90s hindi movies, 
but Marathi... nahi maalum..  Question

d22_malarr

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:
Comments la indha Mike Patel. Yaaru avar? enna kulam? Patel surname la eppidi perceptive comments about Raaja of all people? Recruit seyya mudiyumA?

மட்டுமல்ல, கிளிண்டன் டவுன்ஷிப் மிஷிகன் (எங்க ஊருப்பக்கத்துல)...quite interesting Smile

Welcome back, d22_malarr !

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:11 am

Maybe I do not understand the deal the producers of a movie have with the MD. Some body explain to me who has the copyrights over the songs of a movie for which the MD has been paid a fee. I vaguely remember earlier IR himself saying that the producers have copyrights over the songs and he has the copyright over the BGM tracks. I dont think Rahman is getting paid any royalties. It is the producers which collect them having paid him upfront a big fee to compose the songs. Actually, they pay him upfront, because they know they can recoup the fee from the rights and royalties.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  counterpoint Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:22 am

My suggestion/wish/request:  Let IR focus on his health and also in composing whatever he can and whenever inspiration strikes him, either a private album or for some good scripts/directors. KR and the fan club can take this forward. I have a feeling that mabe IR is doing it not just for his copyrights but also for the past MDs many of whom he respects a lot. He probably feels that they did'nt get their dues.He has made his point. He cannot be in charge of convening these meetings forever. The young crop of MDs should take charge. Good luck.

counterpoint

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:I agree with Wizz. To answer Fring, I was in Kumbakonam over the weekend. Sun Life seems to run its life by almost ONLY playing Raaja's chartbusters from the 80s and early 90s. Heck, in Swamimalai, over and behind the hillock, Raaja's chartbusters were wafting through the evening. I was even humming Enna Satham Indha Neram with the radio systems doing pradakshanam around the temple. And on FM stations other than Big (yes that's completely ARR-ised, but even ARR fans are unable to bear Anuradha Sriram Razz), Suriyan FM played a few IR songs even 2-3 days back. Vividh Bharathi, FM Gold and Rainbow (govt. owned stations) play a solid dose of Raaja in the nights, especially post 9 PM. Jaya Max TV channel has an hour of Raaja's songs in the night from 9-10 each day. Almost all of them play his superhits that are in popular memory and don't go the extra mile in helping folks unearth his unknown classics. But that was the case previously too wasn't it?

Reason: They pay him his royalty.

And in that meet with stage singers (whose career is driven by Raaja. 50% of 75% of stage singers' songs on stage are Raaja hits) he asked them to decide a rate and pay him, no matter how small the amount is. He states he merely wants them to respect his Intellectual Property Rights. He is after these big corporations that mint money using his name. If all these commercial highways are several kilometers away from Raaja's station, how did Mirchi run a successful Neenga Naan Raaja Sir which was soora mokkai except for the Raaja songs that sold the show for 3 yrs or how did Radio City's 91.1 days of Raaja sir songs with 600 of his 5000 songs increase their ads ten fold? Truth is Raaja's songs, especially his 90% output till 1994, is still in supreme demand among consumers. And how is Raaja wrong in asking these corporations to respect his IPR when they earn zillions using his name? I'm afraid I disagree with ravinat and think some of us are overreacting here.

Well, I was clearly referring only to Chennai radio. I know the situationi is different on TV and outisde Chennai. But don't underestimate ability of Chennai radio to set trends. Based on my random sampling of ~2 hrs everyday for close to the past 2 months, I can say with some confidence that IR's presence is vastly diminished on all FM stations and at all times. as compared to a year back. Maybe my sampling wasn't unbiased enough, but I don't think so. There is a marked increase in random SA Rajkumar and Chandrabose songs in slots where IR held complete sway and the few IR songs I have heard have been the usual suspects - Kanmani anbodu etc...

92.7 ARR overdose
94.3 Bolly hellhole
98.3 Newage garbage
101.4 The occasional IR hit
106.4 Few IR songs here and there. Lots of SAR, SG, Chandrabose.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm

fring151 wrote:Well, I was clearly referring only to Chennai radio. I know the situationi is different on TV and outisde Chennai. But don't underestimate ability of Chennai radio to set trends. Based on my random sampling of ~2 hrs everyday for close to the past 2 months, I can say with some confidence that IR's presence is vastly diminished on all FM stations and at all times. as compared to a year back. Maybe my sampling wasn't unbiased enough, but I don't think so. There is a marked increase in random SA Rajkumar and Chandrabose songs in slots where IR held complete sway and the few IR songs I have heard have been the usual suspects - Kanmani anbodu etc...

92.7 ARR overdose
94.3 Bolly hellhole
98.3 Newage garbage
101.4 The occasional IR hit
106.4 Few IR songs here and there. Lots of SAR, SG, Chandrabose.
Largely agree. And this is the case post his crackdown. adhukku munnAdi ellAm engu thirumbinAlum Raaja, everywhere except 92.7.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:42 am

It is a move that came too late in the day to have any commercial influence (positively) for him.  But on principle it is difficult to disagree with him and if we agree that IR's music is meant to live on years after he's no more (sorry but just for the sake of argument) then he need not focus on his current predicament in making such a decision.  In an era of declining revenues from music, it will also help other composers...that is, if they have the balls to follow suit.  Unlikely, but IR can't be blamed for that.  Now if he really did ask for royalty from people performing stage shows with IR songs, I cannot agree with that at all.  World over it is an accepted practice that bands may perform live covers of songs without paying royalty as long as they don't seek to commercialise such a performance by offering it for TV broadcasts.  In general, artists take a lenient view of live covers....because everybody climbs up the ladder by having once performed live covers and having to pay royalty to do so would cripple them.  In that case, I tend to think he is getting wrong advice from some overzealous 'well wishers'.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next