Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions on ARR

+22
prakash
counterpoint
rajkumarc
groucho070
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
mayilSK
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
V_S
kv
Wizzy
Usha
Drunkenmunk
crimson king
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
dilbert
kiru
plum
app_engine
26 posters

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

Discussions on ARR - Page 9 Empty Re: Discussions on ARR

Post  jaiganesh Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 pm

V_S wrote:
To answer kv’s question, I too agree with Plum, nothing will be censored, all discussions are welcome. One thing I want to stress here is as Raja fans our tastes have been elevated to such a level (uchchaani kombu) by Maestro, it is almost impossible to appreciate everything (atleast to me) as we (I hope it is true for many fans) tend to look any music through Raja’s prism and see if they come anything close in terms of quality what we hear in Raja’s music (even leaving out all the in-process tricks). If so we pull them onto ourselves.

Even when some say we should wither all our preconceived notions and listen with open mind, it is highly impossible not to get our listening experiences intrude the music listening exercise. Raja has expanded our musical horizon to such an extent  that we automatically sharpen our ears for tune, chord progressions, raagams, singing, arrangements, genres etc to validate what we listen is good or not.  If not for Raja, we would not have known all these terms. If not for Raja, we would not be listening to Bach or Beethoven or Tchaikovsky or Balamuralikrishna or S Balachandar. If not for Raja, we would be knowing so many raagams. If not for Raja we would not be learning/knowing so many technical terms in music. If not for Raja we would be listening to Jazz, pop or rock and how Maestro internalizes them. If not for Raja we would not be listening to SDB, Madan Mohan, Roshan or Ravindran so closely. If not for Raja, we would not be listening to folk of such highest quality. The amount of exposure he has given us immense. Just the volume and quality of his output alone is enough to cover his versatility and range that that is not our fault that we don’t get satisfied so easily. We get easily disappointed. All fault is with Raja for spoiling us Wink

Still we don’t stop listening others music unlike most of our yesteryear generation did or even the next generation who dismisses most of their yesteryear music directors, yet comment on them. They either stopped with G Ramanation or Viswanathan, we still listen to everyone right from MKT to ARRs to Immans, Anirudhs and Amit Trivedis. The same forum has been appreciative some of their works. I even take pride to say if at all anything close to objective music review/criticism any one is really expecting, it has to come from Raja fans as the amount of time they spend on music alone is unmatchable (as far as I know) and also because it is the same fans who were also critical of some of Raja's works.

To answer Jai’s point, this thread was not started intentionally for ARR. It was a result of some heavy digression happening in other Raja threads that me and App ji decided to divert all these conversations to another thread to keep the other thread focused. We also understand that if we tend to analyze music of others, we are not giving enough time to analyze Maestro’s music, so the purpose of this thread still remains a question (if we really needed to analyze/criticize). I am also open to lock this thread if everyone agrees, so that we can focus of Maestro’s monstrous work.
Your post has all the risk of being ridiculed as one made by a stiff upper lip snob- But knowing you, how well you approach music - I know otherwise.
ARR fans - please understand - you like it or not - music - though appearing to be simple - is a work of art and has a lot more aesthetics that your
super singer judges make you believe. The aesthetic aspects shine bright like a sun only if handled by a composer as great as Raaja. Rest of the
"collaborators" are able to create a good sounding piece of music - much like how modern american pop music operates - but are unable to
inject aesthetic cultural sensibilities into it - because they are not trained - also because they didnt bother to learn. So the difference between Raaja
and the rest is bound to remain with us for some generations to come. Till we find another Raaja emerge - who cares to observe the culture and
aesthetics that the music should be placed with and strives to incorporate it into his/her music. So our differences shall remain unbridged.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Jai, Wonderful addition on aesthetics, culture and emotions (which I forgot mentioning) which is THE biggest difference between Maestro and others. I wanted to intentionally sound like that as the music we have listened is not just for any entertainment (and to forget), it has seeped into our lives and DNAs. I am perfectly fine for any comment Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:12 am

V_S wrote:
One thing I want to stress here is as Raja fans our tastes have been elevated to such a level (uchchaani kombu) by Maestro, it is almost impossible to appreciate everything (atleast to me) as we (I hope it is true for many fans) tend to look any music through Raja’s prism and see if they come anything close in terms of quality what we hear in Raja’s music (even leaving out all the in-process tricks). If so we pull them onto ourselves.
https://twitter.com/Wit_of_Wilde/status/427767812480696321

"I have the simplest of tastes. I am satisfied with THE BEST" - Oscar Wilde 
Smile

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:32 am

nach! Timely post. Thanks plum Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:27 am

I have seen better discussions on Rahman's music (positive) from us than from any Rahman fan.

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 am

fring151 wrote:
that is AR being genre-less like those generic Bolly movies for ABCDs, if Kadal/Maryan were to be remade in Hindi the songs would fit just right in.
'Highway' will be again lapped by these generic post oscar fans,1lakh youtube views+Itunes best seller+ithupona filmfare nomination
later this album will go down as his greatest, rinse repeat for his next album.

More like a couple of million and several thousand likes.

Just sayin'  cool2 

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:43 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:I have seen better discussions on Rahman's music (positive) from us than from any Rahman fan.
Isnt it sufficient for them to say "What a humbil man?" "Oh that music is blissful!!" "Soulful, touching" copy paste copy paste appreciation to a 
copy paste copy paste musician..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:33 am

Jai, they also have the 40%"Ehtiopian drums mixed with 20% Hungarian violins and 30% Japanese country music. whatay fusion sarakku"

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 am

fring151 wrote:
fring151 wrote:
that is AR being genre-less like those generic Bolly movies for ABCDs, if Kadal/Maryan were to be remade in Hindi the songs would fit just right in.
'Highway' will be again lapped by these generic post oscar fans,1lakh youtube views+Itunes best seller+ithupona filmfare nomination
later this album will go down as his greatest, rinse repeat for his next album.

More like a couple of million and several thousand likes.

Just sayin'  cool2 

Shocked 
clearly I had underestimated the tards ,

in other news Suspect 

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/internet/google-cracks-down-on-fraudulent-youtube-video-views/article5659495.ece
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 am

Wizzy,

That's an important point. I have been thinking about that for some time now since SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is used by many.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Actually, I never understand this itunes. How does it work? itunes #1 na enna arththam?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 am

Itunesai vidunga.. idhu puriyudhaa ungalukku?
His scores are considered innovative, unique and very unusual. Previously, film scoring consisted of traditional orchestra and strings sections. But Rahman revolutionised the art of scoring and brought unique and fresh sound to his film scores. He introduced vocals, relatively new instruments, different sounds and restrained orchestration into his film scores, due to which his scores sound subtle, yet powerful.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 am

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/103233.html

Ennayaa idhu ipdi oppositAvE nadakkudhu konja naaLa? Raajava pathi illa ipdi articles vara vEndum? First VM bashing articles, then James ayya embarrassed, and now this. Is mafia taking over the internet?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:51 am

So here comes the backlash to the God's share angle.  But actually ARR does very few Tamil films in any case these days.  Probably done more Hindi films or at least an equal number since 2000 than Tamil.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 am

avar romba busy but still made allowance for low budget philms like Kalaipuli's soothlakatti and Kathir/Suryeah's escapades..
arthouse directors like Seenu may not be aware of these thiraikaaviyams so can be pardoned for their ignorance.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:35 am

Also, not scoring for real, rooted movies is ARR's and HJ's positive contributions to low-budget movies(the good ones). ARR makes an exception for Mani but since Mani's cosmoploitan even in his "rooted" movies, it's fine. We should appreciate ARR, HJ for this..

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm

This KasanthaBalan's film also high budget?

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Think so, nerd.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 pm

ARR's arranger/conductor since Roja, about Orchestra in IFM - Watch from around 17 minutes.

Athaavadhu
till 70s - big orchestra, 50+
early 80s - synthesizer came, orchestra gradually sized down to 1 or 2 musicians
90s- Arara vandhaaru, revived orchestra, situation is slowly improving

Dei. Oru muzhu poosnikkaava sothula maraikka pakkuranunga (that IR andrum indrum endrum has been using live orchestra for songs, bgms etc.) this ARR coterie - ippo puriyuthu the marketing angle for KM Conseratory - they want to establish that 80s was the period when live orchestra waned away, and ARR has been trying to revive that ever since = true 'Mozart of Madras'  Evil or Very Mad

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:23 pm

vicks wrote:
early 80s - synthesizer came, orchestra gradually sized down to 1 or 2 musicians

http://splicd.com/shCyJC5xGYQ/31/34
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:36 am

DM, Lol. Apt. So let's summarise the propaganda

• Introduced fresh voices - established
  • Resurrected orchestral music - Coterie and him working overtime to propound . Vide - Above intree , Intree to Bengali composer
  • Gave prominence to hitherto sparsely used instruments - flute, bass guitar. Attempts ongoing, indha generation'ku prove panradhu konjam kashtam unless they are deaf, but future gens who might assume everyone except Indhiavin orE aaskaar naayagan was junk, it is possible. In Plum's words, the target is "Nooru varushathukku piragu varappogum madayargaL"
  • Spontaneity - Intree posted by DM. Cleverly leaves out details, so reader can fill in and fans can claim he takes only 20 mins for a song. Again for the "Nooru varushathukku..." because too many insiders know the facts.

Will be interesting to see if they start claiming Carnatic and folk also as their own, but I think they are too smart for that. Inga gavanikka vEndiya vishayam, they are basically taking advantage of the ignorance more than gullibility of TN (or Indian) makkaL. They know if they claim ARR revived Carnatic raagams, they will lose all credibility, so they/he cleverly promote him as the "Orchestra guy", "jazz guy" etc which most TN makkaL know zilch about. Ushaar parties. Masters of marketing. I am almost convinced now. Was willing to give them the benefit of doubt earlier, but with the spate of intrees, it increasingly seems like a concerted strategy to win over public perception. Propaganda needs to be countered. 

Last straw. All in.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 am

Wizzy wrote:avar romba busy but still made allowance for low budget philms like Kalaipuli's soothlakatti and Kathir/Suryeah's escapades..
arthouse directors like Seenu may not be aware of these thiraikaaviyams so can be pardoned for their ignorance.
Chinnasamythevar made andhimandharai and arara was paid a pittance.. cudnt recall how much..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:54 am

* This is the story of last 21 years.
* I started off as a cheery, optimistic young man in life. These very people are the ones who made me a cynic. I have had the good fortune in personal life to have been surrounded by absolute angels of people during my youth. It was these people - vm, arr, gv, MR, KB, BR - who woke me up to the neech-kaminepan of human mind
* And there is no let up in the propoganda
* ivLo anubavichuttu namma adhai edhirthu rant paNNA "thirumba thirumba pEsaRA nee" nu namma kitta solvAinga. And people like Kamal AAkarsh poshly think "these raja fans are rowdies. i yAm neutral will never behave like these fans"

Seriously, if ARR, VM, MR, BR and KB dont receive divine punishment before I die - a lasting slur on their reputation is the minimum punishment - I will die a sad man

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 am

plum wrote:And there is no let up in the propoganda

And there is going to be no let-up in one's cynicism, one hopes Laughing . In the event, one might lose some fans Razz.

Andha tfmpage peace-loving days, adhAvdhu BaashAvA mararthuku munnAla mANikkama irundha nAtkaL..posts edhAvdhu inga link paNNungaLEn. I couldn't dig it out from the Raja365 comments links tha App posted. Curious to see if you preached "All are equal","Love all hate none", 'Different times, different geniuses" etc those days....  laugh

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 am

Chinnasamythevar made andhimandharai and arara was paid a pittance.. cudnt recall how much..

but AR didn't have much of the choice then..until very recently lowballer Gundumani paid him 5 figure salary..beat that  Smile 

just don't get this new spin from his PR team..it wasn't the case even during his Oscar campaign
I see AR wants to position himself as 'Music producer' who identifies talent(s) and mints
money by releasing their albums through his record label but this entire scoop about him being some sort of
vidivelli to orchestras just beats me.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next