Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raja's New Albums

+49
Kr
BC
app_engine
crimson king
raagakann
ank
ravinat
counterpoint
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Manoj Raj
AbhiMusiq
raghuCA
Sakalakala Vallavar
Usha
panniapurathar
irfan123
sheepChase
suresh2
rajaclan
Shank
vicks
baroque
MH
Balu
Drunkenmunk
irir123
crvenky
Punnaimaran
writeface
mythila
Sanjeevi
rajkumarc
isaifan
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
kiru
MumbaiRamki
sagi
skr
SenthilVinu
Bala (Karthik)
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
plum
V_S
Raaga_Suresh
53 posters

Page 8 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25 ... 43  Next

Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 8 Empty Re: Raja's New Albums

Post  app_engine Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Parking-lot listen of 'kallAlE' this AM (not in car but the Chrysler van :haiyyA:)!

Terrrrrific!

I'm now LIKING the sounds too Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

S/o VM writing for rAsA in OnAy-Attukkutty it seems

எல்லாம் நம்ம இழைகள் தொடங்கிய நேரம் Wink Wink

(கங்கை அமரன் நிலாச்சோறு'க்கு எழுதியாச்சு...இப்போ ஜூனியர் வைரம் பத்தின சேதி)

Smile

BTW, 'ungappan pEra' is nice / fun-filled!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 pm

englees paper reporting on IR + s/o VM

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri May 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Here is my review of 'Chithirayil Nilachoru'

When people heard the news that Raja was joining hands with R.Sundarrajan, not many were enthusiastic. While it was true that this combination has given us some immortal classics, R.Sundarrajan had stopped directing quite some time back and the industry has changed in the meanwhile. Expectations, appropriately, were very low but the combination proved everyone wrong. ‘Chitirayil Nilachoru’ hit even the most skeptical of Raja fans hard with its melody. Let’s take a look at the songs now.

1. ‘Kalaiyile Maalai’ : Let’s start with this Abheri beauty. To me this is a song of contrasts. Raja keeps playing throughout with the ragam. In some places he gives it the strong carnatic touch only to take it away immediately !!! In the start he outlines the raga clearly using the electric veena and asks the voice to provide words to the tune. Just when you easing into the ragam, he gets the drum machine and the synthesizer going. The pallavi is typical Raja stuff. The first interlude continues with the hide and seek nature of the raga. Initially it is synth which hides the raga, then the veena comes to reveal the raga only for the synth to take it back. The charanam provides the knockout punch. You are not expecting the charanam to start this way or proceed the way it does. Here too the voice provides the Abheri which the synth hides. The rhythm pattern is unexpected and the bass adds beauty to this melody. And then the trademark Raja twist and turn to join the pallavi again.

The next interlude has the nadaswaram reminding you of Karukurichi’s iconic ‘sringaravelane’, then the synthesizer takes over to play some lovely passages before nadhaswaram picks up again. The interesting part is that the singer cannot wait till the nadaswaram finishes its portion.

This is an exhilarating song. Some people may have liked it without the synth but I think the exhilaration comes from this interaction

2. ‘Nanri Sollave’ : Raja popularized many ragas in film music and paved the way for later musicians to use these ragas in films. Hamsadhwani is one such raga which was made magical by Raja. He has used it many times before and yet this one sounds as if this is the first time he is composing in this raga. How he is able to breathe such freshness into the raga is something puzzling.

The very first strains of music unmistakably paint the colors of Hamsadhwani. Surprising part is, it is completely on the synthesizer but you don’t feel it. The raga contours come out very well. The pallavi is a long one and the interesting aspect is the rhythm where Raja plays the tabla in such a way that it sounds like a pakhwaj giving a north indian touch. The interludes tightly hold on to Hamsadhwani and if you observe carefully the whole of the interlude is mostly synth and yet it sounds so natural.

The charanam is vintage Raja, breaking the flow and then making it flow again before the torturous descent into the pallavi. The second interlude takes the WCM route and it is a lovely and a serene interlude. If ‘kaalaiyile’ was exhilarating, this one is a serene melody.

3. ‘Kallaale Senju’ : In this we hear an aspect of which Raja is a king. The way you control emotions in music. Raja always ensures that no emotion ever overflows but keeps them in control (until and unless the film demands it.) In this song you can observe that this Sindhu Bhairavi tune can easily turn mushy but the tabla + drum pad rhythm provides the balance and doesn’t let the tune run away with the emotion. The interludes keep the emotion intact but in check. A very heart touching tune. Wish Valee had not written stuff like ‘seikooli sedharam’ !! I like both the male and female versions of this song

4. ‘unga appan pera’: This is the ‘fun’ song of the album. Contrasting to the other melodies, this starts with a superb rhythm and an energetic tune. The words by Gangai Amaran are fun as well. As my friend Prabhu Ram mentioned on twitter, the line, ‘peru vekka pilla vendun’ is the key to the song. The fun and longing merge beautifully at that line. The interludes keep the spirit but it is the ‘thaga thaga thom’ in the charanam which takes the cake. The song also has wonderful usage of the chorus. Raja uses rhythm and the chorus to great effect to make this a delightful song.

Overall, an outstanding album from Raja

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 31, 2013 11:15 pm

Excellent review Suresh ji! the clap Thank you. So, for you kaalaiyilE maalai is the top song? Smile Yes I tool love that portion; 'The interesting part is that the singer cannot wait till the nadaswaram finishes its portion.". Even the nadhaswaram is played on synth, right?

Will post my thoughts on next song kallaalE senju vechcha mostly tonight or tomorrow. Once I listen to that song, I could not go to the next one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri May 31, 2013 11:19 pm

I doubt it V_S. I think Nadaswaram is a real one with maybe some touch up done later. Very difficult to get the gamakas on synth.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm

Yeah that's what I thought, but the sound was little different from actual one, hence my doubt. Thanks for clarifying.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Great review, Sureshji!

Listening to 'kAlaiyilE mAlai vandhadhu' on a "bass boosted" system is a very different experience (than on headphones). With additional woofer, as in the case of Bose multimedia. (Or sitting inside the minivan)

The percussion sounds terrific!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks app. I too should get some decent system. As of now headphone mostly.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:01 am

Alright now I am ready for Nilachoru. What is the procedure to hear>?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 am

plum wrote:Alright now I am ready for Nilachoru. What is the procedure to hear>?
http://tamiltunes.com/nila-choru-2013.html
Then hunt for the CD in Chennai / Bengaluru Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kameshratnam Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Happy birthday ilayaraaja sir

MEGHA SONG RECORDING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w1IhluoK1k

kameshratnam

http://soundcloud.com/kameshratnam

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 am

Fantastic! Thanks Kamesh. Raja rocks!
A very happy birthday to the Raja!

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:44 am

We have come to the title song of the film. There were so many film songs composed for children. If a song for a child is sung by a mother or father it comes very special. Maestro has rich history in this domain; bommukkutti ammaavukku aaraaro, thaazhampoovE kaNNurangu, azhagiya kaNNE, thEnE thenpaandi meenE, nin manasin, O nanna kanda to name a few in this theme, but each one is different in terms of situation and mood. The uniqueness about this song is it does not bear/convey any past bitterness nor the future gloominess. It conveys a simple and true love of a parent to his child, as the lyrics says so. Somehow it registers me as a father song rather than a mother song, don't know why. The song strikes the right chords in us right from the first time we listen to it, that's the reason we fall flat. I didn't have to force myself to press rewind button just because it is from Maestro. My hand and mind automatically went for it after my first listen. That's how Maestro's songs are for me. Here the main reason being the tune is so soothing, free-flowing and easy on ears that it immediately captured my heart, with no second thoughts.

This song was composed in a beautiful morning raagam Sindhu Bhairavi which has her ancestor from up north. While we hear milEn sur mEra tumhara, jeena yahaan marna yahaan from north, Maestro has given a true identity to the raagam which even the pundits from North would appreciate and even educate themselves on what this raagam has to offer, more than they know. Maestro has travelled so far from annakkiLi unnai thEduthE to kalyaanamaam kalyaanam (Mayilu) in this raagam which no one has ever ventured. He completely revolutionized and localized the raagam which can never be called as just Sindhu Bhairavi, it is 'Raajaa's Sindhu Bhairavi' and thereby rechristening Sindhu Bhairavi as his own daughter. He rightly choses this raagam to sing about his daughter.

The prelude might sound ordinary at the first hearing, but please listen to it closely to grasp the nuances. The lead and bass guitar (synth that is) portions are lovely. Subtle touch of cymbal @00:09, gliding chord progression, the counter-point of lead and bass guitar from 00:24 which leads to pallavi is the hallmark, which we normally fail to notice. No one arranges these many layers in synth. The pallavi starts with a heavy backing of percussion. It is amazing to hear tabla and synth pad amalgamate to give a combined new sound. Tabla sound is not fully heard, we get to hear a little sample of it and it joins with the electronics, superb innovation there, as Maestro trying to amalgamate oil and water and coming out successfully.

Through this song, first time I am hearing Haricharan's original voice, having screamed his way out frequently without realizing what kind of songs he should be singing. The way Haricharan sings it, we can feel the warmth, but all credit to Maestro for finding his inner strength and true voice. I love Maestro's improvisation in anu-pallavi; enakkaaga maNNil vantha, enkaagaaga 'intha' maNNil vantha. Not to miss the chord progression during en thangamE vairamE sellamE with added jalatrang sound to give that gentle water splash on our face.

Hear how he starts the interlude right before Haricharan finishes the pallavi. While he is singing karpoora deepam kaattum deivam illa nee, he starts his piano for the interludes. I agree for this kind of melody, a melting flute would have enhanced the mood, but Maestro opted for dry interlude with synth guitar, piano and mild synth percussion, but he made it up for the dryness at the end of the interlude by adding vibraphone/jalatrang sounding like a rain droplet dropping on a vessel, sweeping out the dryness and soaking us in a mild drizzle. When I too was thinking about the dryness (like you), Maestro springs a surprise in the second interlude straight-away by starting with jalatrang and made me wet thoroughly. While I was enjoying the rain, he follows it up with a short flute passage which I was longing (as I mentioned in the first interlude) for. None other than Maestro read my mind thoroughly. I agree it may not be Maestro's best when it comes to interludes, but this is the maximum he can do given the kind of melody and the constraints. Most others would have runaway given the constraints.

I always wait for that BIG beat just before the charanam starts. Thundering beat that is! That heavy beat carries the charanam on its shoulder. This charanam yet again proves why Maestro is at the helm when it comes to giving the melody its depth and sweetness at the same time. We might have heard some good compositions where it has depth but lacks sweetness and vice versa or lacking in both (in the name of experimentation). When he starts the chararam on a high; 'kannukkutti nee thuLLi Odina, kannu pattudum sonna solla kELamma' I anxiously wait for Haricharan to sing the word 'sonna' to get goosebumps. He just glides through. This is the bhaavam I was talking about which gives mere words and notes their life. Please hear how he sings that word with a gliding small sangathi and brings it down to get to the next word 'solla'. The next interesting phrase comes immediately from Haricharan when he sings 'nee azhagu' in the next line ('theru vanthu ninna kooda nee azhagu, minnal vanthu pOnal kooda neethaan azhagu'). koLLai azhagu when he sings that. I hear him sing those words again and again. He improvises in the next line with neethaan azhagu, wonderfully constructed by Maestro. Hear the same lines and words by Priyadarshini and compare how she fairs. She definitely fell short of life in those words. It is amazing to know Maestro does all this in a flash and we talk about it for our life time and generations to come.

I love this line in second charanam; 'pottu vechcha chiththiramE nee enakku pOthum, vatta nila neethaan endru un azhaga paadum'. In the next line; 'yaanai mEla nee amarnthu valam varanum, naan eppo eppo kEttaalum nee varam tharanum' nicely fits the tune compared to the line 'ammaannu onna naanum koopiduven, enga ammava appo appo nenachikkuven' in the first charanam which doesn't quite fit well. The finish line; en thangamE vairamE sellamE (selvamE) is so enticing with that descending chords and rolling pearl sounds, absolute merry to listen. Those are divine words brought to life by Maestro, Vaalee sir, Haricharan and Priyadarshini.

My wicked mind speaks now, so please bear with me. Some nitpicking about lyrics and singing. Charnam starts off well but the lyrics is inconsistent. It is good at places, but very ordinary in other places. Ex: 'nee seikooli sEthaaram illaatha', 'yaanai meal nee amarnthu valam varanum naan eppo eppo kEttaalum nee varam tharanum'. Same way in first chararam, 'ammaannu onna naanum koopiduven, enga ammava appo appo nenachikkuven'. Very powerful lines; 'I will call you my mother and remember my mother', but I don't feel that power when he/she sings it, may be it could have been coined differently to get the impact. It doesn't fit to the tune as well. But on the other hand, the second charanam lines fits in nicely. The words 'appo appo' is correct there and in sync with how we talk colloquially. But in second charanam, 'naan eppo eppo kEttaalum nee varam tharanum', we don't repeat 'eppo eppo' in this context. The second 'eppo' was added just to fill the tune there and it didn't quite gel well. Another issue is the diction by Priyadarshini at certain places are not good, eventhough she brought the (different) mood. Please hear Haricharan singing 'valam varanum varam tharanum' and compare how Priyadarshini sings. He sings clearly and correctly. She sings valOm varanum varOm tharanum' which takes away some interest in listening to her version. Same way during the last line of charanam; 'nee vEnum nizhalaaga vaazhOnum', the word vaazhOnum sticks like a sore thumb as we suddenly hear a Coimbatore slang vazhOnum instead of 'vazhanum'. Even if vazhanum, it does not fit the tune as the tune just needed a 'kuril' there. May be because Maestro added this word intentionally for his Coimbatore friend and the director Wink

Even with all those nitpicking, the song brushes everything aside and carries through beautifully because of the way the tune is structured and the way it flows out effortlessly. We can certainly feel this kind of honey-soaked melody can never be achieved on a trial and error basis or on any rework to make it perfect. As and when it got reworked the essence and soul is already lost, as we don't get the continuity what we got here. This tune is like a bullet fired off the gun, it is that straight. It is an inimitable straight drive from Sachin. Other cricketing shots can be manipulated or pre-meditated, but not the straight drive. How many times we watch him play the straight-drive, it does not bore us, it is so elegant and delightful to watch every time. Another interesting fact about straight drive is it every earthy as it does not float in air even for a couple of seconds like other shots. It stays and kisses the ground all the time right from the time it leaves the bat. Same way this song is that straight and earthy that it leaves Maestro only to reach and kiss each one of our hearts. A father's song blessed by our father!

Very Happy Birthday to Maestro! We need many more straight drives like this from you for centuries to come!

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:39 am

VS
Couldn't agree with you more on this: "We need many more straight drives like this from you for centuries to come!"
Smile

I am thoroughly taken with Nadi Thudikuthadi. Its a fantastic album. En Dhevadai, En Poo Nenje are instant classics. Love every intro and interlude in this album.

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:06 am

Wishing Maestro a wonderful 70th birthday and praying for a long life and good health and continue to soak us with his blissful music for years to come.

Absolutely fantastic writeup V_S of the Kallale Senju Vacha song. Haricharan's version is obviously the favorite one. This is probably his best song in Maestro's music. He emotes well and I feel he does that better than Karthik. During Dhoni audio launch, Haricharan sang Vaangum Panathukkum and he pulled it off quite well. I wish he gets to sing more for Maestro and as you said Maestro could extract more out of his voice for sure.

Suresh & Mythila - Superb reviews of Nilachoru album.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  Punnaimaran Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:55 am

நமது ராசாவுக்கு என் மனம் கனிந்த பிறந்தநாள் வாழ்த்துக்கள். நமது சமகாலத்தில் இசைஞானியைத் தந்த கடவுளுக்கும் என் நன்றிகள் !!
Punnaimaran
Punnaimaran

Back to top Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 8 Empty Wishing Raja eternity

Post  mythila Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

Wishing the grand old man many years of good health and music magic.

Yes Sureshji. In "kAlaiyile mAlai", the alternating modern synth instruments with the classical Abheri melody is a nice observation you have made. As you say, even in the charanams, while the singer is in classical Abheri mode, the background music is very modern with bass, guitars and synth rythm

V_Sji , well written esp on the prelude music of "kallAlE senju". It is my most favorite part in this song and you have analyzed it well. A very hip , stylish ThAlAttu in TFM, I must say Smile

rajkumarc, thank you. Waiting for all of your outpour for "Naadi Thudikkudhadi". - thumburu

ra

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Nice analysis V_Sji, on my fav song of the CNC album!

Excellent observations on the enjoyable portions of the songs and not-so-great parts as well Smile

Just to add my 2 cents, there are some minor variations between the girl & boy versions of saraNam lines:

-'yAna mEla nee amarndhu' is in the first stanza of female version but it gets moved to second stanza in the male version

-That way, the 'ammAnnu kooppiduvEn / nenachchukkuvEn' business is not there in the female version at all Smile Instead, the second stanza of female version has another inane line 'thoongA viLakkE nee thoonguRappO nAn thoongAma muzhichchirundhu' Laughing

-Anyways, those few lines can be taken as minor sEdhAram in the otherwise golden song Wink

(I see vociferous disapproval of seikooli / sEdhAram everywhere Smile While I share the feeling that it could have been replaced with some better / poetic phrase instead, a part of my brain says that it's not that offensive after all - being in everyday use of sAdhAraNa TN makkaL...I would agree to such language anyday than the kAdhal pisAsu, google paNNi kiRukkanai kaNdupidiththal kinds Smile )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks Gokul, rajkumarc, mythila, App ji for your valuable comments. I started writing about the lyrical differences between male and female versions and as usual it went big, so I had to cut short to keep it to this length Smile. Thanks App ji for adding those wonderful points. Definitely 'seikoolli sEthaaram' lines doesn't stay away from the tune like 'yaanai mEla'/'ammaannu koopiduvEn', except that it could have been better as it is coming from Vaali sir.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:25 pm

I agree V_Sji, that there could have been better lyrics overall - for such a richly crafted album by rAsA!

As you rightly observed in the write-up for 'nanRi solla vENdum', the sudden switch to colloquial in the anupallavi brings down the class of the song drastically Embarassed That simply shows a problem with all three team members (MD / lyricist / Director) in setting some lyrical requirements / standards for each song, with the lyricist to blame 75%.

Fortunately for GA, he got a fun song in this album - which is meant to be in the day-to-day lingo only and he scores decently! (And what a lovely prelude to that song! The very start of it makes one's spirit soar!!)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 pm

writeface wrote:Fantastic! Thanks Kamesh. Raja rocks!
A very happy birthday to the Raja!

Gokul
Song sounds very good. People will have to learn to tolerate YSR in IR songs in future :-)
Is IR only motivated only when working with white guys ? :-)

Best Wishes to the Maestro !!

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:20 pm

On "nAdi thudikkudhadi"

Ooo Laalaa... - I think the movie is filmed at Fiji islands. While the main tune itself tested my patience, I endured till the last only to be
surprised by a postlude with that caribbean brand beats and trumpets.

En devadhai - This is the song of the album IMO. A very fresh tune from Raja.
Fantastic guitar backing and groovy rythm add up to a very youthful number. K arthik at ease .
But the shrieky, loud lady voice that joins Karthik is givin me a head ache Sad

veLinAttu grAmapurathil - Another bright melody in waltz style.. The simple but catchy tune well sung by the lead pair and very
vivid, imaginative interludes is sure to captivate the audience . Again Raja's fetish for
colloquial opeening lines adversely impact the smoothness and aesthetics of the song

En poo nenjai - An exquisitely crafted melody . Rita singing this is "kuruvi thalaila panankaai" case.
It is a song for Shreya or Shwetha or Saptha in that order. She adds no value by her thin, sharp voice that lacks modulation.
But a decent chorus, synth ambience sounds in pre and interludes cover up for the bothersome soap dabba[ Ubayam Nerd's coinage] beats and Rita.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Nice review again. Smile

mythila wrote:Again Raja's fetish for colloquial opeening lines adversely impact the smoothness and aesthetics of the song
Yes, if you take out that 'veLinaattu graamapuraththil' word out of your mind, we can relish this song. It does not fit at all there and the translation of 'western country-side' is so crude. The problem is it comes right at the start.

Back to top Go down

Post  crvenky Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 am

Maestro's song video from Nadi Thudikkuthadi:

See thalaivar with his stylish cooling class Smile)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBw7xia0Oug&feature=player_embedded

crvenky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25 ... 43  Next