Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megha / மேகா

+25
crimson king
mythila
RaajaDivine
jaiganesh
skr
plum
Wizzy
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
raja4ever
Sakalakala Vallavar
irir123
kamalaakarsh
balachidambaram
app_engine
Usha
kv
Raaga_Suresh
Balu
fring151
V_S
writeface
kiru
rajkumarc
Drunkenmunk
sagi
29 posters

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Megha / மேகா - Page 4 Empty Re: Megha / மேகா

Post  skr Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 am

Take on #Megha

Mugilo Megamo - Yuvan , Ramya NSK 
The first thing that catches your attention is the humming at the background in sync with bass which constantly keeps going back and forth .. And when Yuvan starts off , the string ensemble accompanying the voice takes you to a state of elysium.. The interludes are free flowing giving a nice jazzy touch at places. The octaval upward slide on the piano with the chordal finish and those chromatic passages are just top notch. Also to be noted is the vocal portion starts 2 syllables before the beat (known as Atheetha Eduppu).

Chellam Konjam Poove - Yuvan , Ramya NSK
Possibly the pick of the album .. The opening guitaring is freaking awesome and sets the tone for the song and the portions that follow simply sweep you away. If you realise , when Yuvan repeats the opening lines of the tune twice the tune remains the same but the bass backing is different which goes forward the first time and played backward on the second instance creating a beautiful chiaroscuro. The arrangements are wonderfully harmonised giving such a pleasant experience to the listener. The drumming is excellent and the way it is used as a filler acting as a bridge connecting the Pallavi is superb.

Enna Vendum - Karthik , Priyadarshini
The guitar riffs elevate the song tremendously .. Its more like a typical Indian melody but layered with western style orchestration.. The drumming is a delight and the interludes are mesmerising especially the guitar which creeps in adding such a melliflous touch.

Jeevane Jeevane - Ilaiyaraaja
The stress with which Jeevane is hummed gives such an emotional draining feeling. The prelude resembles Vinnaar Amudhe from the album Baba Pughal Maalai but the song mostly reminds you of Pengal Endral in terms of instrumentation and intensity which suggests a painful situation. Special note on the distortion guitar which dictates terms and the usage of strings which is hypnotising.

Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Anitha 
A reprise of the very popular Putham Pudhu Kaalai from Alaigal Oyvathillai. Its unfair to compare the singing but orchestration simply astounds. Its indeed a delicacy to hear all those intricate sounds in this high quality version which was missed in the original.

Kalvane Kalvane - Haricharan , Ramya NSK 
Starts off like Niram Pirithu Paathen from Time but the similarity ends there. This one is extremely wacky , unorthodox and out of the box. The scale changes are freaky and the jazzy portions are sure to leave a smile on your face Smile As the song says Enna Thaan Maayam Seidhaan , how true is that ? 

Mugilo Megamo - Ilaiyaraaja
Follows the same tune as that of the other version but sung more intensely. Needless to mention about the soundscape created which is truly mindboggling.

Conclusion :
#Megha is marvellous , magical , mystical , magnificent , monstrous & masterclass.
If NEPV was revolutionary , Megha is boundary breaking.
An album which deserves to be celebrated for eons and rightfully deserves a place in the pantheon of all time great soundtracks.

skr

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:14 pm

rajkumar and VS,

Thanks a lot for  ur encouragement.....

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Nikhil (yes, that dhigil guy) tweets:
https://twitter.com/onlynikil/status/372572960332079104/photo/1/large

Maestro Musical magic in Megha Rocks & get Top 6 places in I tunes...He is always Chakravarthy of music not Raja pic.twitter.com/lgEF8ox7aC
Megha / மேகா - Page 4 Megha_10

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm

skr wrote:Take on #Megha

Mugilo Megamo - Yuvan , Ramya NSK 
The first thing that catches your attention is the humming at the background in sync with bass which constantly keeps going back and forth .. And when Yuvan starts off , the string ensemble accompanying the voice takes you to a state of elysium.. The interludes are free flowing giving a nice jazzy touch at places. The octaval upward slide on the piano with the chordal finish and those chromatic passages are just top notch. Also to be noted is the vocal portion starts 2 syllables before the beat (known as Atheetha Eduppu).

Chellam Konjam Poove - Yuvan , Ramya NSK
Possibly the pick of the album .. The opening guitaring is freaking awesome and sets the tone for the song and the portions that follow simply sweep you away. If you realise , when Yuvan repeats the opening lines of the tune twice the tune remains the same but the bass backing is different which goes forward the first time and played backward on the second instance creating a beautiful chiaroscuro. The arrangements are wonderfully harmonised giving such a pleasant experience to the listener. The drumming is excellent and the way it is used as a filler acting as a bridge connecting the Pallavi is superb.

Enna Vendum - Karthik , Priyadarshini
The guitar riffs elevate the song tremendously .. Its more like a typical Indian melody but layered with western style orchestration.. The drumming is a delight and the interludes are mesmerising especially the guitar which creeps in adding such a melliflous touch.

Jeevane Jeevane - Ilaiyaraaja
The stress with which Jeevane is hummed gives such an emotional draining feeling. The prelude resembles Vinnaar Amudhe from the album Baba Pughal Maalai but the song mostly reminds you of Pengal Endral in terms of instrumentation and intensity which suggests a painful situation. Special note on the distortion guitar which dictates terms and the usage of strings which is hypnotising.

Putham Pudhu Kaalai - Anitha 
A reprise of the very popular Putham Pudhu Kaalai from Alaigal Oyvathillai. Its unfair to compare the singing but orchestration simply astounds. Its indeed a delicacy to hear all those intricate sounds in this high quality version which was missed in the original.

Kalvane Kalvane - Haricharan , Ramya NSK 
Starts off like Niram Pirithu Paathen from Time but the similarity ends there. This one is extremely wacky , unorthodox and out of the box. The scale changes are freaky and the jazzy portions are sure to leave a smile on your face :)As the song says Enna Thaan Maayam Seidhaan , how true is that ? 

Mugilo Megamo - Ilaiyaraaja
Follows the same tune as that of the other version but sung more intensely. Needless to mention about the soundscape created which is truly mindboggling.

Conclusion :
#Megha is marvellous , magical , mystical , magnificent , monstrous & masterclass.
If NEPV was revolutionary , Megha is boundary breaking.
An album which deserves to be celebrated for eons and rightfully deserves a place in the pantheon of all time great soundtracks.
I had very late night session listening to Megha ACD. Let me tell you.. this is the most transparent album (in terms of Audio quality) ever from Maestro. I do say this because, I do have close to 600 some original ACD's of Raaja and have listened to it personally. Nothing has caught my attention (even NEPV) than this album in terms of its resolution and richness. 

The sound in this album is so soothing (even at higher volume) and creates an emotional impact (you need to experience this personally in room that is acoustically sound proofed room). You will hear exactly how the Mastering engineer (with Raaja's input) intended the song to be heard.   I even tried playing this song though a pair of "Near Field Monitors" (the ones used during post-production; the ones placed either sides (back) of the recording console) and it sounds even more better. The "Near Field Monitors" are designed to have FLAT FREQUENCY RESPONSE (unlike the regular speaker which do color the music to a certain extent). So, the music play is the exact reproduction the way mastering engineer intended.

Apart from that messed up mixing issue in "Putham Pudhu Kaalai", the rest of the tracks are all to be treasured for...  Especially the strings and the brush used in the drums are simply overwhelming to hear. Its like hearing a live performance just for you...

One other thing I noticed is that FADE IN/OUT are simply superb... they just appear and disappear like magic...

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't remember something like this happening ever for any IR album:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=158153631045943&l=bcaff26683

MEGHA Audio success celebration - RAAJA Sir Happily agreed to celebrate with FANS. Join with us to show your gratitude to ISAI CHAKKARAVARTHI for giving us a nice album "MEGHA". Date and venue will be announced shortly........

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:04 pm

[dig]

welcome soundcloud pugazh raja4ever, monitors for a home setup Shocked
more details on your setup please//
guessing your collection includes a fair share of LPs.App is running a thread for LP covers.
lighten up with your collections.

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t63-vinyl-lp-record-covers-speak-about-ir-pictures-details-thamizh

[/dig]
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm

one india says IRF's in paravasam

நீதானே என் பொன்வசந்தத்துக்குப் பிறகு இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் வெளிவந்துள்ள மேகா படத்தின் இசை ரசிகர்களிடம் பெரும் வரவேற்பைப் பெற்றுள்ளது.
இப்போது ரசிகர்கள் கவலையெல்லாம் இந்தப் பாடலை படத்தில் சரியாகப் பயன்படுத்தியிருக்க வேண்டுமே என்பதுதான்.
For the comment on picturization, Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Wizzy wrote:[dig]

guessing your collection includes a fair share of LPs.App is running a thread for LP covers.

https://ilayaraja.forumms.net/t63-vinyl-lp-record-covers-speak-about-ir-pictures-details-thamizh

[/dig]
Thanks Wizzy... The main system includes B&W 803D fed from Symphonic Line RG4 Monoblock amps fed from Symphonic Line RG3-MK3 pre-amp which in turn fed from Metric Halo LIO-8 ADDC (my primary DAC). This in turn gets fed from MAC MINI running on SSD (songs ripped from CD to an external Harddisk played using couple of Audiophile software), from VPI ScoutMaster Turntable using custom built Phono Preamp matched to my ADDC and from Nakamichi Dragon and REvox B-215 Cassette Decks. 

All of these are hooked up to a Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner connected to a dedicated power source (cyro treated power cable from the main power box).  The music listening on this system is very personal to me. 

I do have a recording setup which has Adam A5 monitors connected to Mackie 12 channel mixer some time or sometimes I connect to my Metric Halo LIO-8 to listen/to get the hires version. Using either Windows 7 custom built machine running Merging Pyramix Mastering DAW or Protools 11 on Macbook Pro. All of the files that you hear in the Soundcloud is enhanced in one of these machines.

I do have almost equal number of LP's that I do listen to from time-to-time. I will try to send pictures to "app_engine" when the time permits. I will have get the box containing dirty LP covers from the storage to do this.

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

finished listening to mugilo meghamo 4 times and kalvane 2 times - problem with this album is so obvious - idhai thaandi aduththadhukku poradhukku oru janmam aagum pola. 
yuvan and nsk nallaa thaan paadi keeraango. raasa in his version takes it to the level of vaanam mella + edhaya baagilu - muzhusa kaettu mudippanaannu doubt irukku.. paappam.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:31 pm

raja4ever wrote:Thanks Wizzy... The main system includes B&W 803D fed from Symphonic Line RG4 Monoblock amps fed from Symphonic Line RG3-MK3 pre-amp which in turn fed from Metric Halo LIO-8 ADDC (my primary DAC). This in turn gets fed from MAC MINI running on SSD (songs ripped from CD to an external Harddisk played using couple of Audiophile software), from VPI ScoutMaster Turntable using custom built Phono Preamp matched to my ADDC and from Nakamichi Dragon and REvox B-215 Cassette Decks. 

All of these are hooked up to a Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner connected to a dedicated power source (cyro treated power cable from the main power box).  The music listening on this system is very personal to me. 

I do have a recording setup which has Adam A5 monitors connected to Mackie 12 channel mixer some time or sometimes I connect to my Metric Halo LIO-8 to listen/to get the hires version. Using either Windows 7 custom built machine running Merging Pyramix Mastering DAW or Protools 11 on Macbook Pro. All of the files that you hear in the Soundcloud is enhanced in one of these machines.

I do have almost equal number of LP's that I do listen to from time-to-time. I will try to send pictures to "app_engine" when the time permits. I will have get the box containing dirty LP covers from the storage to do this.
raja4ever,

In Goundamani's voice: "neenga edho solreengannu theriyudhu aana ennannu dhaan puriyala"

Welcome to the forum. Like all others let me thank you for the soundclouds. Lot of people treasure that.

Reg the recording quality, I am nowhere close to being an audiophile like you. (On the contrary I listen to lot of 32kbps rips of carnatic music!!) Even I could make out the clarity and the life like sound in this album. Yes, even I felt the recording in this was much better than even NEPV. I personally feel this is how a Raja album should be recorded. No need to jazz up anything. The instruments sounding true to their nature is enough. This is a very enjoyable album, both acoustically and musically. More about the music part later.

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:
raja4ever wrote:Thanks Wizzy... The main system includes B&W 803D fed from Symphonic Line RG4 Monoblock amps fed from Symphonic Line RG3-MK3 pre-amp which in turn fed from Metric Halo LIO-8 ADDC (my primary DAC). This in turn gets fed from MAC MINI running on SSD (songs ripped from CD to an external Harddisk played using couple of Audiophile software), from VPI ScoutMaster Turntable using custom built Phono Preamp matched to my ADDC and from Nakamichi Dragon and REvox B-215 Cassette Decks. 

raja4ever,

In Goundamani's voice: "neenga edho solreengannu theriyudhu aana ennannu dhaan puriyala"
The way P_R would say quoting Gounder, neenga, neenga dhaan...
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Mugilo megamo  - IR version..... romba pidichadhu.........

Feelings....... Instrumentation il iruku.. indha padathu paatil. ella paatilum............ idhai rasika kathukanam. i feel.

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 pm

In this album and in all the 7 songs - there are places where one feels 'worth dying for' moments and movements. I dont think so one can honestly say 'I dont like it' or 'I like it' or say 100 words, OK kind of comments on this music - This director is a lucky guy and we are lucky to have this album in our hands - Right now I feel only gratitude after one complete listen. Thanks Raaja. Thanks Karthick Rishi - I dont know who you are and what you have done in the film - but for the music - you have done some right things. God Bless you.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 pm

I remember hearing some flute (or synth / pan flute kind of) sound as a response to "mEghamO" (after mugilO) in the teaser.

However, in the regular song, that seems to be not there (only strings).

Did I hear it right?

confused

(I refer to this teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b63ZM6_hM2E)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:
Suresh, your setup is fantastic too, but Vinod has a dedicated listening room and he personally was doing the acoustics work in there.
@skr - yes .. I see jazzy touches in mugilO megamO. I am not that music savvy , but it looks like IR mixed up WCM, Rock and Jazz (with whatever sub-genres) and you dont know how to pick them apart. Everything sounds right in place.
Now tell me guys, how do I get hold of the CDs ? I dont have NEPV either.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Raja4ever,

Yes. Anitha's singing and pronunciation is plain awkward and comes across as very forced. 

To me, so far, enna vendum is the weakest song in the album, particularly the lyrics.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:

raja4ever,

Welcome to the forum. Like all others let me thank you for the soundclouds. Lot of people treasure that.

Reg the recording quality, I am nowhere close to being an audiophile like you. (On the contrary I listen to lot of 32kbps rips of carnatic music!!) Even I could make out the clarity and the life like sound in this album. Yes, even I felt the recording in this was much better than even NEPV. I personally feel this is how a Raja album should be recorded. No need to jazz up anything. The instruments sounding true to their nature is enough. This is a very enjoyable album, both acoustically and musically. More about the music part later.
Hi Suresh.. Thanks and you are very welcome ! Any idea which studio in London was this mastered at? I'm guessing they recorded at higher sample rate and down mixed to get this incredible resolution.

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:58 pm

raja4ever,
See this back cover posted by skr. It says mixed at Angel Studios and mastered at Abbey Road Studios, by Engineer Mat Bartram.
skr wrote:Back side :
Megha / மேகா - Page 4 Megha210
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 pm

app_engine wrote:I remember hearing some flute (or synth / pan flute kind of) sound as a response to "mEghamO" (after mugilO) in the teaser.

However, in the regular song, that seems to be not there (only strings).

Did I hear it right?

confused

(I refer to this teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b63ZM6_hM2E)
it is there - the first interlude it begins and the keys and violins reply to it..
BTW indha kaLvane songum chellam konjum songum - eppdi ippdi irukku? chaa.
Indha album worth its notes*100 gold coinsnga..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 pm

V_S wrote:raja4ever,
See this back cover posted by skr. It says mixed at Angel Studios and mastered at Abbey Road Studios, by Engineer Mat Bartram.
skr wrote:Back side :
Megha / மேகா - Page 4 Megha210
My bad.. why didn't I look at the cover first.. Looks like MIXING done at Angel and MASTERING done at Abbey Road Studio. If its Abbey then the Mastering is done at 24/96khz. Their equipment list is very impressive.

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 am

raja4ever wrote:

[/dig]
Thanks Wizzy... The main system includes B&W 803D fed from Symphonic Line RG4 Monoblock amps fed from Symphonic Line RG3-MK3 pre-amp which in turn fed from Metric Halo LIO-8 ADDC (my primary DAC). This in turn gets fed from MAC MINI running on SSD (songs ripped from CD to an external Harddisk played using couple of Audiophile software), from VPI ScoutMaster Turntable using custom built Phono Preamp matched to my ADDC and from Nakamichi Dragon and REvox B-215 Cassette Decks. 

Appapoi Ammamoi..whtya setup saar, with the current $ exchange rates, mind boggles if were to build a setup like yours from scratch, SL amps :slurp: Did you source the amps out of EU or ARN B'lore? Aranya finish? Krauts like their cars know how to build amps also must have been one heck of a task to get bit-perfect dumps of 700 cds, you are a man of fine taste :pranams:
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 am

Wizzy wrote:
raja4ever wrote:

[/dig]

Appapoi Ammamoi..whtya setup saar, with the current $ exchange rates, mind boggles if were to build a setup like yours from scratch, SL amps :slurp: Did you source the amps out of EU or ARN B'lore? Aranya finish? Krauts like their cars know how to build amps also must have been one heck of a task to get bit-perfect dumps of 700 cds, you are a man of fine taste :pranams:
Wizzy.. I'm based in USA. I got it via a local dealer straight from Germany. Preamp is Aranya. Amps are Silver with black. Yes.. converting the CD was an insane task. Did that over a period. Thanks for the compliments..

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:18 am

For good rips of CDs, you can use - http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
I have a smaller collection than Vinod's (about 300 CD and 200 LPs). All were ripped and I use Squeezebox touch to play it.
@Jai - you were very appropriate in appreciating the director.
@app - what does topping Itunes charts mean ? # of downloads ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:14 am

போட்டு தாக்கிட்டாரு பா, தாக்கிட்டாரு! முகிலோ மேகமோ'லேர்ந்து வெளியவே வரமுடியாத படி செஞ்சிட்டாரு. I mean both the versions are so attractive. While Yuvan/Ramya's version is so mystic, Raja's version has the real pain and down to earth feel. A phenomenal magical spell this is! We need to see clouds and mist at a distance to appreciate, but when it passes us we don't see them, only feel them. One version is to appreciate the beauty from distance and another version is to appreciate the beauty from within.

The song as we start listen for the first time, we appreciate its beauty from a distance, but as we repeatedly listen we can feel it is passing by us gently. The way Maestro tuned this composition really makes us feel that way. I felt lyrics is so apt with wonderfully coined words perfectly suiting the mood unlike some who felt otherwise. I will post the complete lyrics tomorrow. Really surprised at Na. Muthukumar's consistency from this song to enna vEndum song. I feel it will be very difficult to come out of this magical spell of Maestro. Maestro says, 'Catch me if you can'. எங்க கேட்ச் பண்றது. Lost in the clouds. டோட்டல் கலாஸ் பா நான்!
V_S
V_S

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 pm

MEGHA is great - but what would have been a complete masterpiece is ruined by the choice of singers - Yuvan is terrible, to say the least - why is IR insisting on Yuvan as a singer I cannot fathom ?

here is a heartfelt opinion of a renowned Jazz critic after listening to IR's recent works :

"i regret just beginning to explore The Maestro's music at this point in his career, and wish i had heard some of his earlier music.
i really wish i could have heard this soundtrack as purely instrumental music. 

His gift for arrangements and dynamics within songs is exquisite. and it IS very cool to hear his voice on this soundtrack, too.

With that said, some of these vocals add nothing of value to this music. i understand that these vocals are important from a thematic perspective (to help advance or comment upon the action in the film). but i'd have loved to have heard some of these tracks in their purest form, before the vocals were put on top.

that first piece (he is referring to Saindhu saindhu from NEPV) would have been a beautiful Pat Metheny tune, for example, without the vocals on it.

this has been a genuinely wonderful experience for me, and i'm grateful you've taken the time and trouble to expose me to his work, and you've been so patient with my commentary upon it."

yenga poi muttikkaradhunney therla - Yuvan thaan paadanumnu GM azhudhu kettaaraa ?

in Megha, Yuvan (and also Priyadharshini) spoil all the fantastic work done by everyone else - nalla vela Londonla recording/mastering - illaatti andha luxury kooda illaama, ivanga kurala kekkara piravi payan namakellaam
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next