Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megha / மேகா

+25
crimson king
mythila
RaajaDivine
jaiganesh
skr
plum
Wizzy
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
raja4ever
Sakalakala Vallavar
irir123
kamalaakarsh
balachidambaram
app_engine
Usha
kv
Raaga_Suresh
Balu
fring151
V_S
writeface
kiru
rajkumarc
Drunkenmunk
sagi
29 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Megha / மேகா - Page 2 Empty Re: Megha / மேகா

Post  kiru Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 am

balachidambaram wrote: ...
One thing is clear. Raaja is in no mood to relax and has shifted a gear or two
in recent times. This is playtime.
About 40 years of learning and practising the art straight up from the fundamentals , taking no short cuts. Every song, every album has been a progress, but for us, it is difficult to see the difference unless it stares at our face .. Interesting thing is, he stayed the course, whether it is the onslaught of young MDs like Rahman or technology or the commericial value/awards going in whatever direction. He believed in himself, he believed in making music from first principles. What a fighter !! What a career lesson.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 am

My initial thoughts from 2 listenings:

1. Mugilo: Yuvan was a bad choice. A VERY bad choice for the song. He is not at all suitable for the tune and I can't understand why some Raaja fans are going ga ga about Yuvan's singing here. I dont know why Raaja messes up with singer selection at times (NEPV did not have that issue). Earlier, the torture was through Bhavatharini and now Yuvan. Ah this nepotism. And I am perhaps one of the very very few people who somehow didnt get to like many of the Raaja's renditions in recent years (including Vaanam Mella). I think Thiruvasakam and Amma Pamalai were the last times I liked his rendition and found them suitable and thats about it. Not many after that. But in Mugilo, it is Raaja's version that stands tall. Beautiful rendition. Perhaps the best rendition in the album.

2. Chellam Konjum: Good one. Very peppy and groovy. Wonderful arrangements. Here also, Yuvan seems to the spoiler. He is not that bad, honestly, but he is not great either. But I am sure a Karthik would have done a much better job (remember Konjum Konjum song from Maayakannaadi, this vocal expressions needed in Chellam konjum are somewhat like in in this song). In short, if I am going to listen to Chellam Konjum, it is because of Raaja alone and not for the wholesome package.

3. Jeevane Jeevane: Again a very lovely rendition by Raaja. I am surprised. Also, his vocals suit the tune very much. Beautifully done. Yet to give it more listenings but i can say this song is a beautiful one.

4. Enna Vendum: Somewhere this song sticks oddly out of other songs. Can't place my finger on what exactly and how. But it does. Yet, the song is good. Just that, I am not sure if this will have as big shelf life as a Mugilo or Jeevane or Chella Konjum. 

5. Kalvane Kalvane: Jazz tripping. Wonderfully done song. Yet to listen few more times but the song works.

6. Putham Puthu: Needless to say - brilliance.

My choice (leaving Putham puthu): Mugilo (Raaja's version only)> Jeevane > Chellam Konjum >  Kalvane Kalvane > Enna Vendum.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:36 am

kiru wrote:
balachidambaram wrote: ...
One thing is clear. Raaja is in no mood to relax and has shifted a gear or two
in recent times. This is playtime.
About 40 years of learning and practising the art straight up from the fundamentals , taking no short cuts. Every song, every album has been a progress, but for us, it is difficult to see the difference unless it stares at our face .. Interesting thing is, he stayed the course, whether it is the onslaught of young MDs like Rahman or technology or the commericial value/awards going in whatever direction. He believed in himself, he believed in making music from first principles. What a fighter !! What a career lesson.
Nice post Kiru :applause:about IR not changing his course, I'm always amazed by Maestro's belief in his abilities, the never ending passion to compose more and stay true to his art. We are the luckiest in this world for being Maestro's fans and getting to experience all this blissful music in our lifetime cheers
V_S - Beautiful, heartfelt review on Mugilo Megamo thankyou , need your views on the other songs as well, do take your time.

Nerd - Try out Google Play for the downloads, this is the first time I tried and the downloads are 320Kbps (not variable bit rate). I downloaded NEPV via iTunes that was still 256Kbps. I listened to the MP3 version of Megha on both my car stereo and my home sound system, it sounded wonderful. Will have to get my hands on the CD somehow.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Rajkumar. Should try Google Play next time.

I  have started to get bored of Karthik these days. I mean he is more than adequate and all that but he really needs to loosen up a little bit. Enna Vendum for example is such a fun song and he does not add anything extra to it. I just feel that he plainly sings the notes. His expression/bhavam leave a lot to be desired. I really hope Raaja uses Haricharan more than Karthik.

And no more Yuvan please. Saainthu and peNgaL enRAl (to an extent) are much better renditions than this horrible mugilO. Thank God there is a Raaja version.

As of now: Kalvane > Mugilo(Raaja)=Jeevane(Raaja) > Chellam Konjum > Enna Vendum > Mugilo (Duet) = New Putham puthu kaalai.

There is no doubt that this is the album of the year and this is the 2nd best album this decade. No points for guessing which is the best Very Happy

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  irir123 Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:26 pm

"Putham puthu" did not impress me - so far
irir123
irir123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakalakala Vallavar Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Rex Arul's Short Review in iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/megha-original-motion-picture/id692085155

Maestro Ilaiyaraaja Does It Again 

by rexarul
"Megha" is the latest diadem in the "King"'s impressive oeuvre. The songs are so full of life and soul that "Mugilo Megamo" of Maestro Ilaiyaraaja's version alone will be difficult to come out of. William Wordsworth may not have written "Sleep", had he had the fortune of listening to this aural treat that I am blessed to hear right this very moment. Orchestration for this song will offer so many soulful cadences, which cannot be described in simple words. Right from a mild percussion to the bass and lead-guitars with a soothing woman solo's humming, the song picks up vibrance the moment Maestro Ilaiyaraaja starts his vocal, "Mugilo Megamo". 

An eye starved for sleep will gain shuteye, while, those that have already shut, will wake up forever, listening to this song. There is so much of life in this song's orchestration, while the septuagenarian Maestro Ilaiyaraaja's voice has its soul, just exactly how it was 35 years ago!

He composes for millions of hearts. This album is a fitting testimony to it. For a person so far away and who grew up listening to his compositions, it is inexplicably moving, when he sings so powerfully these lines in the 2nd Charanam: "சிறகுகள் விரிக்கிறேன் பறவையே பறவையே. தவழ்கிறேன், குதிக்கிறேன், மழலையே மழலையே, அருகிலும் தொலைவிலும் நெருக்கமே தான்! ” Truly divine and childlike! Thanks, Raaja!

Oh, what about 6 other songs? Sorry, I cannot come out of this "Mugilo Megamo." When I can come out of it, will try to review them as well. Until then, "முகிலோ மேகமோ”.
Sakalakala Vallavar
Sakalakala Vallavar

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

The shift towards the end of the charanam in Kalvane Kalvane leading to the pallavi with a jazzy piano is still looping. What a King! The rhythm work is innovative too. SOTY easily so far for me.

Chellam Konjam's guitar to start, the ambiance it creates, the drum work that follows throughout the song (adikkum adiyil thaara thappattaiyellaam kizhiyaNum level). The harmony created at "Megam Megathodu Konji..." is superb. Just looping on these till now.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Nerd wrote:Wow fantastic posts.

Is it just me or is the iTunes audio quality really not upto the mark? I don't think I ll get CDs here so I guess I should look  for lossless downloads. Sad but no other go Sad
iTunes files are lossy( AAC) format where in the audio is sampled at 44.1khz and encoded at 256 kpbs. It is better than the dreaded MP3.. but, still very inferior than the original ACD. If you have purchased Megha from iTunes, you can check the properties of that file. Either way,  if quality is important, I would stay as far as away from iTunes and not even think of MP3's. 
I have ordered original ACD which comes to around USD 40 (with shipping). Wish they provided hires format of 24/96khz recording.. for which I wouldn't mind shelling USD 40.

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/in/album/megha-original-motion-picture/id692085155
mikka nanRi, Drunkenmunk!

kEttuttu varukiREn Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 pm

nalvaravu to the forum, raja4ever!

I often enjoy the treats you provide on soundcloud (whose links get tweeted) Smile

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Raja4Ever, வாங்க வாங்க! 

முகிலோ மேகமோ பாட்டிலேருந்து யவன் குரலை மட்டும் பிரிச்சு எடுத்துட்டு உங்க soundcloud page-ல போடுங்க சார் :-)

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm

app_engine wrote:nalvaravu to the forum, raja4ever!

I often enjoy the treats you provide on soundcloud (whose links get tweeted) Smile
Thanks app_engine ! Very Happy

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 pm

writeface wrote:Raja4Ever, வாங்க வாங்க! 

முகிலோ மேகமோ பாட்டிலேருந்து யவன் குரலை மட்டும் பிரிச்சு எடுத்துட்டு உங்க soundcloud page-ல போடுங்க சார் :-)

Gokul
Enna Sir... You want me to get into trouble ? Smile Also, I don't think you can get rid off the vocals completely... It will be interesting to try it out and see what we get...

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

London release pic, from oneindia :
Megha / மேகா - Page 2 26-meghaaudiorelease-600-jpg

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

A blogger's praises

ராஜா பாடல்களில் ரசிகன் ரசிப்பது ராஜாவை இல்லை. தன்னை. தன் ரசனையை. அவரின் இசை தன் வாழ்வானுபவங்களோடு போடும் முடிச்சுகளை, தன் கிளறும் நினைவுகளை, குழந்தை கையில் உள்ள முடிக்கமுடியாத ஐஸ்க்ரீமாய் உள்ளங்கையில் உருகி ஓடும் மனதினை. அவ்வகையில் மேகா ஒரு உச்சக்கட்ட தனிமனித அனுபவம். ஜன்னல் ஓர விரைவுப்பேருந்தின் காற்றில் எங்கோ, ஏதோ ஞாபகங்களில் நெகிழ்ந்துருகி, தன்னை இழக்கும் தருணம்.

மேகாவுக்கான ஒரு டீசரில், ராஜா கடைசியில் “You got it?" என கேட்பார்.

யெஸ் ராஜா, வீ காட் இட் !

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 am

Great posts everyone. the clap ippOthaan kaLai kattuthu. Got into the second song chellam konjum poovE.

Chellam Konjum PoovE - If you ask any musician who plays in any singer shows, he would express the amount of satisfaction he gets when playing Raja songs compared to playing any other music director songs. The main reason is the challenge they see in front of them and once they achieved the results they feel that pride having achieved something. All the improvisations which we are talking about is already composed for them handy. All the extended scope which are talking about is already provided to them. All they need is the skill to play those notes and impart life into it. This is one such composition where Maestro uniquely trained the musicians to get what he wanted. We can see that in the teasers. I still hear that unique and pronounced timber of double bass (from teaser) which cuts our nerves.

When listening to the song now that double-bass effect is little dumbed down, nevertheless guitar, double-bass and keyboard make his heavenly prelude. One of the best ever prelude. Yuvan starts off in a very pale and flat way could have been brighter and better, as the lyrics talks about his call to his lover (செல்லம் கொஞ்சும் பூவே கொஞ்சம் வாடா). No bhaavam in those lines at all. He even sounds off-key in anu-pallavi. During these lines; உன்னை கேட்டேன் உயிரை தந்தாய் Imagine how a lover will feel when he sings these lines. Very powerful lines, but absolutely no soul in his singing. Ramya again makes it up for his mistakes. Hear how she sings the first line of pallavi. So effortless in bringing the bhaavam and soul. I love the way Maestro ends the repeat pallavi (Ramya). Lot of syncopation in this song with respect to singing and rhythm patterns which makes it so special. The way Maestro connects the anu-pallavi to pallavi with extended drumming not only showcases the capability of the drummer, but also goes to proves in what all ways he does this connection differently every time. This one is a very rare moment.

The tune does not have a flowing structure, the discontinuity here and there adds to the surprise and sweetness. First two lines are little longer compared to the next two lines. Even the next two lines are sung as if they are four lines; so much break in the tune, but the last two lines are lengthier as Maestro thinks this will end the anu-pallavi in style, but could not, and adds those two gorgeous words தூங்கி பார்க்கலாமா at the last moment to bring it on his inimitable style. I love that finishing! So unpredictable! The lines are fine, especially I like the lines; உள்ளங்கையில் உன்னை அள்ளி தாடா, மேகம் மேகத்தோடு கொஞ்சி பேசும் ஓசை கேட்கலாமா, அந்த வெண்ணிலாவின் மடியில் காதல் கதைகள் கேட்கலாமா. Wonderful job by Pazhani Bharathi.

செல்லம் கொஞ்சும் பூவே கொஞ்சம் வாடா 
உள்ளங்கையில் உன்னை அள்ளி தாடா 
விண்மீன் கேட்டேன் வானம் தந்தாய்
உன்னை கேட்டேன் உயிரை தந்தாய்
மேகம் மேகத்தோடு கொஞ்சி பேசும் ஓசை கேட்கலாமா 
அந்த வெண்ணிலாவின் மடியில் காதல் கதைகள் கேட்கலாமா
தூங்கி பார்க்கலாமா...

Racy first interlude with terrific drumming again. Can't take my ears out of it. Second interlude is even more interesting. It is much slower compared to the first one. Is it electric guitar combined with backing acoustic guitar?  (or an organ?) What a soundscape it is giving! The mellow flute following it gives a contrasting mood only to pick up the racy charanam with thundering drums. noteworthy

Maestro starts the charanam is as if it will never reach the pallavi agin. Till he slowly progresses to reach the line 'ஒரு கவிதை ஆனதென்ன நீ கவிஞன் ஆனதென்ன' we have no clue how is he going to finish and immediately he switches to anu-pallavi tune to complete it. The surprise element here is how each line slowly connects to each other and in turn also deviates from each other beautifully. Lyrically (first charanam) first four lines are ok, but he makes it up in the next four lines. Excellent imagination!

பூக்கள் உதிர்கின்ற நிழற்சாலையில் 
நெஞ்சம் உன்னோடு நீந்தும் 
காதல் பரிசாக மழை பூக்களை 
கைகள் உனக்காக ஏந்தும் 
என் கண்கள் பார்த்துக்கொண்டே நீ உளறும் உளறல் எல்லாம்  (Ramya didn't pronounce உளறும் உளறல் clearly)
ஒரு கவிதை ஆனதென்ன நீ கவிஞன் ஆனதென்ன 
எந்தன் காதல் தேவதை நீ உந்தன் சிறகில் என்னை மூடு 
எந்தன் மூச்சு குழலுக்குள்ளே வந்து இரவின் ராகம் பாடு 
என்னில் உன்னை தேடு…

Second charanam lyrics is way better than the first. The best lines I have heard recently is this one; இங்கு வீசும் காற்று எல்லாம் உந்தன் வாசம் வீச வேண்டும், வான வில்லின் வண்ணம் அள்ளி உந்தன் நெஞ்சில் பூச வேண்டும், கண்கள் கூச வேண்டும் Wow!

காலை பனி போல உன் ஞாபகம் 
என்னை சில்லென்று தீண்டும் 
ஹே மாலை வெய்யில் வந்து என் மார்பிலே 
உந்தன் விரல் கொண்டு சீண்டும் 
என் கனவின் அழகையெல்லாம் நீ அள்ளி வந்ததென்ன 
என் காதல் மொழிகளெல்லாம் நீ சொல்லி தந்ததென்ன (Yuvan missing La as usual)
இங்கு வீசும் காற்று எல்லாம் உந்தன் வாசம் வீச வேண்டும் 
வான வில்லின் வண்ணம் அள்ளி உந்தன் நெஞ்சில் பூச வேண்டும் 
கண்கள் கூச வேண்டும்...
Even when I write this, I hear the free-flowing extended drumming after 'கண்கள் கூச வேண்டும்…' noteworthy

Energetic singing by Yuvan and Ramaya. They brought out the mood quite well, especially Ramya, as it is her home turf. What I most like about the song is there is no screaming like we hear nowadays especially when the song (charanam) ends. This screaming tends to put them into that proper pop idiom and loses out on the soul and the stamp of the composer. Here Maestro composes the last lines of charanams in higher octaves, but there is no screaming. The way he descends to கண்கள் கூச வேண்டும் and then the tune is closely followed by the extended drumming to (compensate for that high pitch) complete the charanam (drumming acts as the tune here to bridge to the pallavi) shows how Maestro cleverly takes the listener out of some alien territory and engages them into the path they can appreciate better. That's why he is different and way ahead from the rest. The song truly is a post-modern delight which speaks in detail about how a composition has every element of post-modernism without compromising or forgetting its roots saluting the yesteryear composers and the instruments they used which are slowly becoming extinct as we are moving into technology driven music, rather than human driven. Still needs more listen to get a full hang of it as this one requires more attention as Maestro plays the hide and seek game very well. Wink

Last edited by V_S on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 am; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 am

To those in India, what is the general public's awareness about and response to this album? What about FM stations?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 am

Jeevane, Jeevane: Finally this song has captured my attention. Excellent singing by IR. The first interlude spooked the hell out of me! 

Gokul

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:40 am

WOW, V_Sji in form!

I must listen to this album tonight, to join the celebrations Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  writeface Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:36 am

Just listen to the little fellow at 1.43 starting the first interlude of Mugilo Megamo. How tender it is! Megha is an album of little & grand delights.

Gokul.

writeface

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:01 am

Welcome raja4ever! Nice to have to you here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:52 am

V_S wrote:Welcome raja4ever! Nice to have to you here Smile
Thank you V_S ! Its a pleasure to be here... Smile

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 am

fring151 wrote:To those in India, what is the general public's awareness about and response to this album? What about FM stations?
Fans of Raja are in a frenzy as they are experiencing music of a kind that has not been provided before in TFM. It's really a bit of quarrel among fans as to which is the pick of the album. As regards FM stations, you will be bewildered about their lavish praises for a run-of-the mill composition, so do not take them seriously. It is the true lovers of music that count most. Even those in the 22-25 age group are amazed at the output in this film. I am reminded of the lines Annaandhu paarkindra maaligai katti, athan aruginil olai kudisai katti from the MGR song Nenjam Undu Nermai Undu Odu Raja. Raja is definitely more than a Maaligai; people from the olai kudisai (other music directors) can either get inspired and try to come near to standards set by Raja or just stand far apart and marvel at the man...thinking

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Post  raja4ever Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:18 am

app_engine wrote:WOW, V_Sji in form!

I must listen to this album tonight, to join the celebrations Smile
I'm patiently waiting for my ACD to arrive. I hope the CD would show up in the next couple of days...

raja4ever

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:01 am

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad wrote:
fring151 wrote:To those in India, what is the general public's awareness about and response to this album? What about FM stations?
Fans of Raja are in a frenzy as they are experiencing music of a kind that has not been provided before in TFM. It's really a bit of quarrel among fans as to which is the pick of the album. As regards FM stations, you will be bewildered about their lavish praises for a run-of-the mill composition, so do not take them seriously. It is the true lovers of music that count most. Even those in the 22-25 age group are amazed at the output in this film. I am reminded of the lines Annaandhu paarkindra maaligai katti, athan aruginil olai kudisai katti from the MGR song Nenjam Undu Nermai Undu Odu Raja. Raja is definitely more than a Maaligai; people from the olai kudisai (other music directors) can either get inspired and try to come near to standards set by Raja or just stand far apart and marvel at the man...thinking
Oh, I am fully aware of the music taste of the average FM jockey. I was just curious if the songs were getting as much airtime as did those of NEPV, for example. This is definitely a unique album by the master and it is no surprise that his fans are thrilled.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next