Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

+23
baroque
plum
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Bala (Karthik)
Wizzy
Balu
jaiganesh
crimson king
raja4ever
Raaga_Suresh
writeface
fring151
Kr
kiru
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
rajkumarc
kv
isaifan
V_S
MumbaiRamki
app_engine
sagi
27 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin - Page 5 Empty Re: Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

Post  kiru Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 am

Well.. I am almost certain that IndiaGlitz article is a rehash and misunderstanding of our discussions here. Normally, they would not care about BGM only movie but now we have discussed it in such detail, they decided to  "feature" it. I started laughing at the "air instruments" part .. :-)
(Now, I have to listen/read  Ravi's latest explanation)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin - Page 5 Empty Re: Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

Post  fring151 Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:08 am

This gets funnier and funnier. More nuggets:

Starting off with strings, interspersed with musical wind and all along backed by chimes
Poetry, I say!

You only live once, and every moment is precious. But on a larger canvas, it is merely walking past two milestones - life and death - with a lots of activity here and there. Giving the journey all respect it duly deserves, this elaborate track is like living an entire life. Giving importance to the subtle nuances and the josh of vigour, the track can be directly related to the long walk, as it is aptly titled. Like he has always preferred, what better way to convey emotions than violins.
Pearls of wisdom. Anne flaasafy nuzhaikara vidham pramAdham.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 am

kiru wrote:Well.. I am almost certain that IndiaGlitz article is a rehash and misunderstanding of our discussions here.
Onsapaanatayam, they copy pasted a review from milliblog without his permission, much to his chagrin LOL
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
kiru wrote:Well.. I am almost certain that IndiaGlitz article is a rehash and misunderstanding of our discussions here.
Onsapaanatayam, they copy pasted a review from milliblog without his permission, much to his chagrin LOL
There we go.. as Raja would say, "illadhavanga eduththukkaranga" :-) 

@Ravi - somebody loves you.. Looks like the melody is in Fairy Tale at 4 sec on .. is that what you refer to as marupadiyum like tune or something..?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm

kiru wrote:
Drunkenmunk wrote:
There we go.. as Raja would say, "illadhavanga eduththukkaranga" :-) 

@Ravi - somebody loves you.. Looks like the melody is in Fairy Tale at 4 sec on .. is that what you refer to as marupadiyum like tune or something..?
Kiru

Hear this score of Raja for Marupadiyum. I find that technically, the 'Somebody loves you' borrows from the Marupadiyum score though the melody is different. Raja used the score to underline, 'upheaval', where Revathi realizes that her husband has a relationship with another woman. She goes through shock, denial, anger, depression, and finally acceptance. All this is captured by the violins and that is Raja! Any other composer would have used a few horns to show initial shock and played the synthesizer like a maniac till you want to run for the nearest exit. I remember every emotion that Raja was portraying as that was a true masterpiece. (though I love Raja's work, it is hard to get me to say that something is a masterpiece). OAK is another.

<From my old post in the yahoo groups>

Listen to the first 12 seconds. It is a single sustained note signifying denial. It is a state of numbness, where the mind refuses to digest the information. Stage 1.

Listen to the clip between 13 and 36 seconds. This is one of anger and sorrow, where Raja uses waves of violins to signify the anger/sorrow. This is stage 2.

Listen to the clip between 37 and 1:14 seconds. This is one of depression. Raja uses both foreground and background violins to show the waves of depression that she goes through after she comes to terms with her pathetic situation. This is stage four.

Listen to the clip between 1:14 and 1:37 seconds. The foreground violins now are being played at a lower pitch, which can be interpreted as acceptance where she is almost about to accept her changed circumstance.

The last part of the clip between 1:38 and 2:04, Raja switches back to anger/sorrow. At the end of this background score, you will notice that Revathi will suddenly leave the room and lock herself up in another room

<end quote>

DM, a request, if you are not offended. Please do not use the 'f' word in any Raja context. Let's keep this clean. Thanks for your understanding.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Sure,

Sorry, if you felt bad on seeing it.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 am

Btw, that Marupadiyum score with your post. Simply superb!
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am

ravinat wrote:(though I love Raja's work, it is hard to get me to say that something is a masterpiece). OAK is another.
Ravi, even though I have heard IR's BGM's earlier. OA has piqued my interest like never before. This is the first time, I feel we are in the 'mainstream' (or maybe after lajja) . Maybe it is just the production quality. Similarly, my interests in IR's WCM fusion into songs started with enna solli paaduvatho (even though there is so much WCM in previous songs). I wanted complete harmony (contrapuntal or not) through out the whole pallavi/charanams. The fact that these things are happening in both BGM and songs is a good sign of the power of IR. Like some other folks here, the very first thought that comes to my mind is - God.. please bless this man with a very long healthy life !!!!
(BTW, I did not hear the marupadiyum score before.. impressive stuff ..maybe this is the reason when other fans were talking about his BGM, I never was that serious. I usually dont watch that many movies and in my earlier years I was not that much into music)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Wonderful demonstration Ravi on Marupadiyum score. Makes me to watch the movie again. Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Film sans hero and songs

Music maestro Ilayaraja has composed the background score for the movie, which one can download free of cost. "I wanted music to complement the mood of the film. It's a thriller and there are scenes with absolutely no dialogues but action. I wanted the music to serve as the narrative in these scenes and that's precisely why I wanted Ilayaraja sir," said Mysskin.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

(Courtesy @Ilaiyaraajafans on twitter) Mysskin says he is going to direct 20 films with Maestro ILaiyaraaja with no songs. Very Happy applause thankyou 

அவ்வளவு பெரிய இசை அமைப்பாளரை இன்னும் பெரிய இன்டர்நேஷனல் லெவெலுக்கு கொண்டு போகணும்னு ஆசை - மிஸ்கின்
I appreciate the thought, thirst and his high regards for Maestro. ithu pOthum sir engaLakku noteworthy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:26 am

Part 2 Says IR is among the most misunderstood. His respect is genuine. adhu nalla theriyudhu.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 am

http://www.screen4screen.com/onaiyum-aatukuttiyum-review/
தகர டப்பா போன்ற ஒரு படத்தை எடுத்து விட்டு, அதை தங்கம்..தங்கம் என மார்தட்டிக் கொள்ளும் சில இயக்குனர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் படத்தைப் பற்றி எதுவும் இதுவரை பேசாமலே நம்மைப் போன்றவர்களை எழுத வைத்தும், பேச வைத்தும் இருக்கிறாரே மிஷ்கின்…இவர்தான் உண்மையான படைப்பாளி.
படத்தின் நாயகன் என்று மிஷ்கினையும், ஸ்ரீயையும் குறிப்பிட்டாலும் நமக்கென்னவோ இளையராஜாதான் படத்தின் நாயகன் என்று தோன்றுகிறது.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:49 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Part 2 Says IR is among the most misunderstood. His respect is genuine. adhu nalla theriyudhu.
thank you DM sir. When he said that line; தாரை தாரையாக கண்ணீர். The most misunderstood person. ithavida theLiva solla mudiyaathu.

From this interview it is very clear how bad is the media, their horrible questions, their horrible interpretations, their horrible propaganda. For every wrong interpretation by the media, he gives a sharp, true, patient and correct answer. His response about watching films. noteworthy

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Nerd posted this link in twitter:
http://cinemalead.com/moviereview-id-onaayum-aattukkuttiyum-movie-review-onaayum-aattukkuttiyum-review-onaayum-aattukkuttiyum-tamil-movie-review-review180.htm

Along with Sree and Mysskin Ilaiyaraaja’s background score acts as the lead hero of the film. The Maestro has raised the bar of Indian music to another level in Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum . Ilaiyaraaja’s  world class BGM literally lifts every frame of Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum  to different level,  in fact till date only International films have such music and a big kudos to the Maestro for  composing such an excellent background score
Overall Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum is a must watch for all who wants to see a edge of the seat thriller with world class BGM. Just go, watch and enjoy this gripping thriller.
That site gives 4.5 * (out of a possible 5)!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:10 pm

nakkeeran review, didn't read it - just scanned for rAsA as there should be tons of spoilers

...பளிச்சென விஸ்வரூபம் எடுக்கிறாரே இளையராஜா- அது இளையராஜாவின் இசை மாயாஜாலம்!
தென்றலாய்... மழையாய்... புயலாய்... இடியாய்... மௌனமாய்... இசை ராஜாங்கம் நடத்தும் இளையராஜா படத்தின் முதுகெலும்பு.
எல்லா தயாரிப்பாளர்களும் ஒரு மஞ்ச சேலை டான்ஸ் கேக்குறாங்க என்று பல மேடைகளில் புலம்பி இருக்கிறார் மிஷ்கின். இதில் தானே தயாரிப்பாளர் என்பதால் பாடல்களே இல்லை என ஒரு நல்ல முடிவெடுத்திருப்பது படத்தின் பலம். 

ஓநாயும் ஆட்டுக்குட்டியும் - விறுவிறுப்பான வேட்டை! வித்தியாச அனுபவம்!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 pm

OA -sify says good

Mysskin is back with a bang. His latest Onayum Aatukuttiyum is a gripping edge of the seat emotional dark thriller which also entertains. The director whose last outing was the disastrous Mugamoodi is on familiar grounds here.

The film works for its unique story telling method without any commercial compromises as it has no heroine and songs. And aided superbly by Ilayaraja’s background score, which is the backbone of the film. Plus likeable performances by the lead characters Shri and Mysskin and all new supporting cast.
On the whole, Onayum Aatukuttiyum is a stylishly made thriller and a class act. Not to be missed.

Verdict – Good

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm

That Raaja's BGM is outstanding (especially for directors with a clear vision) is no news, but such unanimous praise from all quarters is heartwarming. I mean after a little break from mainstream (from Viruman - Naan KadavuL) Raaja is back and how! I so wanted a Raaja film to become a hit so that at least a portion of modern youth will turn towards Raaja.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:32 pm

@Nerd - IR is precipitating a 'genre' divergence by using an elaborate orchestra/arrangement even for songs, even when the rest of the MDs are using sparse arrangements driven by drum machine/loops and electronic drones. Some smart young people are going to figure that this is a different genre and gravitate towards him. (BTW, can you reply to my emails, please)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:38 am

Hi Kiru, yes I just did. I did respond couple of weeks ago but looks like it dint reach you.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:17 am

Glad to hear the reviews are positive. As there is no hope of it releasing here, I guess I simply have to wait for the pirated version. Again, credit to Myskin as well - I sincerely admire his courage in making a movie without any actress/famous actor/songs/item songs/wannabe accent/foreign locations/daylight/comedy tracks. I hope his efforts at raising the IQ of a chronically retarded TN public don't go waste.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:24 am

And why oh why do Tamil interviewers suck so bad at their job - aren't they capable of conversing like normal human beings and can't they ask one intelligent question?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:11 am

Fring,

Where are you in US? Film is releasing in 4 places. San Jose, Phoenix, Edison NJ and Seattle. Any chance of being able to catch it?
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:02 am

Nowhere close to those 4 locations Sad .

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 am

fring151 wrote:Nowhere close to those 4 locations Sad .
Not to worry. Exhibitors say they will release in other locations if the first week crowd is encouraging. Film has gained unanimously positive reviews, with the music. Film is on its way to being a hit. So hopefully we might see it releasing around Atlanta, Virginia. Let's see.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next