Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

+16
Drunkenmunk
writeface
sheepChase
sid_316
Kaaling
groucho070
kid_glove
plum
V_S
Bala (Karthik)
jaiganesh
Michael AF
Admin
app_engine
sagi
20 posters

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 Empty Re: Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

Post  groucho070 Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 am

Allov, nAngga ellAm enna, working for Baby Formula milk-A? Wait....I mean, adikkadi vArumayya!

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 Empty Re: Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc.

Post  Michael AF Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Lincoln - Fantastic. Great acting all around. DDL, Sally Field and especially Tommy Lee JONES.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  kid_glove Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Thought it was a nice film with Spielberg not going for schmaltzy, but suitably gauged to something of a part humorous part gravitational chamber drama without alienating the viewer. TLJ and Sally Field were great, as were the entire cast. But as good as DDL was, there's no way a fair world would appraise him ahead of Joaquin Phoenix for The Master (Phil Seymour Hoffman again far beyond Waltz as Schlutz, as was Amy Adams, pity she didn't cut her hair & sing herself to death, not to say Hathaway was bad, actually kind of digged Les Mis myself). But then again award circles tend to get uniformly aligned with predictable patterns to improve their overall credibility. Almost afraid to not disregard the holy grail, DDL. But please:
Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 BCW_Ow2CEAER3_O

Found The Master as a film to be underwhelming/disappointing, but no other active American filmmaker of today procures whole of the frame like PTA..

kid_glove

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:43 am

AF/KG, running dry on TV shows, any recos, has any one seen Netflix version House of Cards? imo Kevin Spacey is a miscast ,he is too tanked up to play thalamai kurada Smile
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm

He should STOP talking to me. Super annoying the breaking the 4th wall act. I have only seen episode #1 Embarassed

I like Spacey, he ll do well in this character I guess. Havent seen or read any other version of HoC

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

You asking me?. I'm holed up in Zombieland. Too many smokers and chicks in Blore.

Heard HOC is Good. Hearing about Suits. Should watch em. Should get more worldly knowledge when I get a new laptop and WI-FI Connxn.

BTW, Nobody watched ZDT???
Wizzy wrote:AF/KG, running dry on TV shows, any recos, has any one seen Netflix version House of Cards? imo Kevin Spacey is a miscast ,he is too tanked up to play thalamai kurada Smile
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh yeah felt so relieved to watch Mad MEN Season 1 on Zee Cafe. But Gnana sooniyams in the place were whining and I had to change the channel. Still there is Hope.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 am

I have to take back partially what i said abt HIMYM. I've been seeing Season 6 and it is kinda funny. Barney and Robin being the most like able ones. CBS summa illama Monday 8:30 slot ellam kodukka maatanuga. The downside is too many side stories and plot flashbacks in every episode. I really don't care how Ted met his wife, I mean really there is just too much story to follow. But as long as the show is funny I could watch.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 am

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 382371_342687665841890_1604528845_n
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:24 am

Homeland - S2. Logically Very Wrong. Stuff like Abu Nazir entering the country, Ambushing a CIA Team in a warehouse and numerous other plot-holes. The acting is good, especially from Saul, Carrie and Quinn. Carrie-Brody relationship is the central force of this series and the series has to be milked around it. Nowhere in the leagues of other Drama series from the 2000's. I hope Quinn returns for S3 and Saul promoted to the post of Counter-Terrorism Chief(Estes).

And Yes Quinn can be a character in Breaking BAD. I like his character and his subtle threat on Estes Very Happy
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm

SNL is pulling in some big names this year. Daniel Craig, Anne hathaway, Justin Bieber, Jeremy Renner and now Christoph Waltz. The one with Anne hathaway was a riot Smile

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 858790_10151512925491303_989937334_o

[url=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/858790_10151512925491303_989937334_o.jpg]
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 28929_10151497944931303_1946537828_n

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 775130_10151433622911303_279109920_o

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 460237_10151333805021303_483891343_o

Peter thread - World music, movies, Television etc. - Page 8 74707_10151319895161303_1302584529_n
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am

ZDT tomorrow @ sathyam.

SLP this weekday soon.

Smile
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 am

Zero Dark Thirty - A documentary movie. Definitely needed subs as there was way too much detail to be understood. Acting, Taking is all Top Notch as came to be expected. Jessica Chastain is earnest, solid and very determined as Maya. A good documentation of CIA Black sites and torture methods used. The Camp Chapman attack scene was :clap:. I only hope the real life Maya is alive and let to live as we know some of the NAVY SEAL men have died under mysterious circumstances and some live in fear for their lives. Needs re-viewing.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:00 am

Avery good link to read regarding the film and in general about the hunt of Osama (lots of spoilers though)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9869992/Zero-Dark-Thirty-fact-vs-fiction.html
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:16 am

Oh yes was surprised to learn from the film that the CTC Chief in CIA is nicknamed Roger(Not named for security reasons obviosuly) and has actually converted to Islam and is leading the charge Smile

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/at-cia-a-convert-to-islam-leads-the-terrorism-hunt/2012/03/23/gIQA2mSqYS_print.html

http://www.matthewaid.com/post/19890661554/roger-chief-of-the-cia-counterterrorism-center-ctc
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 am

2 in 2 for Waltz and Tarantino.
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am

Wife said the Bond tribute is disappointing. I might check out the repeat telecast later. but...Seth McFarlane...not sure bro.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Wizzy wrote:Amour shouldn't win but it will, they have mastered the art of nenju nakki philms which would get the nod Mad

as feared Evil or Very Mad

what were the odds of DDL's hatrick, his weakest show till date, overly outlandish, no wonder DDL pulled in Iron day in his acceptance speech which was again Streep's lesser performance which was again lapped by old white men @ academy

Pheonix andre sonnar

"I think it’s bullshit. I think it’s total, utter bullshit, and I don’t want to be a part of it. I don’t believe in it. It’s a carrot, but it’s the worst-tasting carrot I’ve ever tasted in my whole life. I don’t want this carrot. It’s totally subjective. Pitting people against each other . . . It’s the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don’t know how to explain it—and it’s not like I’m in this place where I think I’m just above it—but I just don’t ever want to get comfortable with that part of things.”"

this must have rub it in and spoiled any chance he might have had.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  kid_glove Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm

You make Amour sound like "Ordinary People".

kid_glove

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm

k_g/A_F,
What are your recommendations? Which film should be watched out of all nominated/won films last year? I would like to watch DJango Unchained, as it is Tarantino's film and Spielberg's Lincoln for John Williams. Have you watched these films? How are other films like Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Misérables?

Back to top Go down

Post  kid_glove Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 pm

You should probably watch those two as you have a good feeling about it.

If you're looking for a pure cinema experience, then a couple or more films that worked for me (that might not really speak to you, probably even not get hold of you for its runtime but what the fuck anyway:) The Master (JG-PTA's aural-visual marriage is wholly consummate even if it's not speaking to us) and Holy Motors (Genre odyssey). Speaking of odyssey and A-V ride, Cronenberg talkie, Cosmopolis probably does that without us feeling it.

I've said this before elsewhere, I react more to films like The Imposter and Compliance than Lincoln, Argo and ZD30 (feel it's more relevant to America and the American *truth*, identity and so on), probably enjoyed watching Vishwaroopam more than the bespoke middle east films.

Django, we've discussed this on twitter, is a film that works best for 2/3rd of it and for final third, tries to align itself as a self-enfranchising fairy tale story (& yet it ends with Waltz schooling Foxx as a flashback). I would probably not sit through the two third again. And I'm very sympathetic towards its detractors, Spike Lee among others, for the fact that QT ironically affixes the black man into iconic 'cool' whiteboy figure, the figure that stands for oppression towards native Americans. While I did appreciate QT's dissing of Ford, although latter's a great filmmaker, he's a racist filmmaker and his murder of faceless Indians deserves stronger rebuking, QT is unwittingly problematic in his teenage sensations, and failure to grasp the larger complications.

Even when films like The Master doesn't work, you're aware it's the wholly organic piece as a whole that seem unfulfilled. But QT's work is a chop act. He's still among the trinity of modern (late late 80's to 90's generation) American filmmakers but among the three (PTA and Coens), most flawed.

kid_glove

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks a lot k_g for your detail post and your perspective on Django. The Masters; PTA, There will be blood director'A, Oh how did I miss this one Mad . Never heard of it until you quoted. Thanks for quoting Holy Motors. Sure, I will have watch the above three first. Please write your views on the recent films you watched.Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael AF Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 am

Lincoln - For sheer acting Master class. Every actor (DDL, TLJ and Sally Field) is hitting gorgeous cover drives there.
Argo - I think they have given the Best Picture Oscar just to rub it into Iran. Even then the film is good in terms of engaging the audience to watch. Some good directing BTW. Affleck (Ben) is talented.
Django - Naan innum paakala. Theatre-la release aagumpodhu dhan paapen. QT and Waltz - Oscar. More than a reason to watch.
SLP - I'm biased to this film and will watch it because it is based on my home city Philly's football team and characters come around from Philadelphia. Very Happy. So you may have to ask others here.
ZDT - Personally liked the film very much. Irundhaalum I have to say Jessica Chastain has been snubbed. She was really good. I would have loved to see this film bag the best picture Oscar.

V_S wrote:k_g/A_F,
What are your recommendations? Which film should be watched out of all nominated/won films last year? I would like to watch DJango Unchained, as it is Tarantino's film and Spielberg's Lincoln for John Williams. Have you watched these films? How are other films like Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Misérables?
Michael AF
Michael AF

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am

I was wrong, Seth McFarlane is not that bad. Gone a bit too long during the intro, and then back to business. Not bad, not bad.

groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next