Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Original Sound Track from Movies

4 posters

Go down

Original Sound Track from Movies Empty Original Sound Track from Movies

Post  V_S Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 am

Let me share (mostly from youtube) some of my very favorite soundtracks from films which I listen often and from the films I love. Starting from Citizen Kane, Rebecca, Casablanca, The Planet of Apes, The Omen, Psycho, Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Start Wars to Schindler's List, Titanic, Avatar, Ratatouille the list is endless. If one thing in music which has not much diminished in quality for quite a long time it is OST. Every composer is unique. There are some really big names, listing would be a endless exercise. I would name the composer when I share the OST.

I will start with a classic of all time, Rebecca directed by one and only Hitchcock and composed by Legendary Franz Waxman. He would have straightaway brought what the film is all about in his title music. Scary mansion; Mandereley, loneliness of Joan Fontaine (the most beautiful actress I have ever seen), betray and wickedness by Judith Anderson (fantastic actress), love,  fear, murder, silence and emptiness and more, all in this one. There is much more to it if you search in YT.

Back to top Go down

Original Sound Track from Movies Empty Re: Original Sound Track from Movies

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:30 am

Good thread V_Sji!

And that one was quite a complex piece that you posted Smile

Here's a simple one (during bachelor days, I've even caught a recording center guy copy this in a cassette for me Laughing )

Ennio Morricone - GBU :

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 am

App ji, Super! GBU is an all-time classic. Ennio is too much and one of my favorite composer.

Following Rebecca, we move to one film of 70s which disturbed me a lot. It took couple of days to come out of this film. War films are sometimes so disturbing, but considering their sufferings and sacrifices, I tend to watch as the minuscule amount of tribute to those souls. Being a big fan of Robert De Niro having first watched his Taxi Driver, I try to watch some of his films whenever I get a chance. Meryl Streep at her best. This film was one of them as I started watching in the night which went on, but at the end, I lost my sleep. One of the finest films ever made. THE DEER HUNTER. Directed by Michael Cimino. Music by Stanley Myers. This piece of music called 'Cavatina Theme' was played by none other than John Williams. There is not much classical about this theme, played on guitar (with violins/cellos, wind instruments support), but it is a classic. Hear the melody and dissolve yourself. So serene and soulful that it will never leave you in a long time. The music will take to those bars where they play that ruthless game only to kill themselves.

This theme is so popular that many try to recreate this magic. Played live by one of the orchestra.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:56 am

aahaa great thread V_S saar. I must add an all time favorite track of mine here.

Watched Once Upon a Time in America a couple of years back one afternoon. Just a notch below Godfather, this 3 and a half hour grip fest is Sergio Leonne's greatest gift to Hollywood (which incidentally did not deserve this film and edited more than an hour, made the narration linear and spoiled the entire film). Luckily I got a print of the director's cut. And what a movie this was. The way it explored characters. Brilliant!

This theme by Morricone has a hallowed position in my hard disk. The transition at around 2:25 to a mellow theme evoking some nostalgic moments in the characters as they look back at a life kind of churns our guts and as it turns back to the rather dark/intriguing theme at 3:13 we are in the grip of the composer.

Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:18 am

Much needed thread V_S ji and a fantastic start! Deer hunter is one of my favourite movies and I used to be (well I still am, I guess) a huge fan of Robert De Niro too.  App_ji, what to say about Good, Bad and Ugly. It is a study in moviemaking, film composing and acting (Eli Wallach as Tuco is truly unforgettable). Ennio Morricone is in his elements and has provided an immortal soundtrack.  I personally rate him higher than John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. The main motif of GBU is instantly hummable, totally badass and perfectly suitsthe setting and characters! But even better is the saxaphone/guitar BGM when the three stand off near the climax. Truly epic in every sense of the word. One of the best scenes ever in cinema!!

My share is another of my Ennio Morricone favourites. Once upon a time in America. This movie has no less than 3 distinct motifs, each equally beautiful and evocative and used brilliantly throughout the movie. Again, Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone have collaborated to create a dark, surreal masterpiece here. This is the surreal "Noodles theme" and completely transfixes me when I listen to it. Morricone to me had one of the most unique sound of any film composer in Hollywood/World cinema. Interestingly, in Italy he is simply referred to as "Maestro".Smile 

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

What a freaking coincidence D_M..What are the odds!! We posted it at the same freaking time:cool3:

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 am

PS: V_S ji,

I have held a theory close to my chest for a year and a half. Unrelated to this thread but what is there. Watched Deer Hunter a year and a half back. Brilliant film. I'm a big fan of De Niro but Chris Walken just edged him here. Those final scenes in Vietnam with the guns. Pwnage of the first order.

Coming to my theory, Kamal Hassan's "get up" for MMKR's Michael I am guessing is inspired from De Niro in Deer Hunter (French beard). Also, what is De Niro's name in DH? Michael Wink

Last edited by Drunkenmunk on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:31 am

fring! Whattay Shocked Hahaha. Sollikka vEndi dhaan. Great minds think alike cheers
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:46 pm

drunkenmunk and fring151,
Wow! what a coincidence. Nice post on Once upon a Time in America theme.

Coming to The Deer Hunter, I agree Chris Walken is too good. I still remember that last scene, chilling!

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 am

Another beauty from Bernard Hermann. Vertigo theme. Jazzy, eerie. One of my favourite Hitchcock flicks. Totally surreal.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:57 am

Yes this is a scintillating one. Bernard Hermann is not just anyone's favorite he is one of the greatest composer of all time. Have you seen this film? Again a film which will steal our nights and reduce it to a gazing day. This is one extra-ordinary film by Hitchcock especially of that time. Even now, they can't even think of doing such a movie. The film switches back and forth beautifully. Jimmy Stewart is one heck of an actor. I got addicted to him after watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). Outstanding film and outstanding music. Thanks for reminding this film and score.

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:35 am

Of course. I watched it sometime last year. It is a certified all-round masterpiece- story, direction, acting and BGM. Jimmy Stewart aces it and the climax leaves you shell shocked! One can't help but make a comparison with our cinema where Raaja stands alone as a bewildering genius in a sea of mediocrity (with some exceptions like Kamal). Have you seen "Anatomy of a murder"? Brilliant courtroom drama with Jimmy Stewart again acing it and a fantastic jazz soundtrack by Duke Ellington.

Last edited by fring151 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 am

This one is a beauty by Henry Mancini. Many of you are probably familiar with the tune. It is quite  popular as a cover song in instrumental albums by Richard Clayderman and the like. Moon river from Breakfast at Tiffanys. The composer Henry Mancini has given some really great melodies (including the famous Pink Panther theme) and this song is a beautiful, dreamy melody. The chord progression is very enticing!

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:55 am

Just like Hitchcock preferred Bernard Hermann mostly to compose music for his films, Legendary film producer David O Selznick mostly preferred one of the greatest of all time, Max Steiner.

Some of Steiner's quote, source wiki:
Steiner felt that knowing when to start and stop is the hardest part of proper scoring, as incorrect placement of music can speed up a scene meant to be slow and vice versa: "Knowing the difference is what makes a film composer." He also notes that many composers, contrary to his own technique, would fail to subordinate the music to the film: I've always tried to subordinate myself to the picture. A lot of composers make the mistake of thinking of film as a concert platform on which they can show off. This is not the place. . . . If you get too decorative, you lose your appeal to the emotions. My theory is that the music should be felt rather than heard.

There may be a scene that is played a shade too slowly which I might be able to quicken with a little animated music; or, to a scene that is too fast, I may be able to give a little more feeling by using slower music. Or perhaps the music can clarify a character’s emotion, such as intense suffering, which is not demanded or fully revealed by a silent close-up.

One of the important principles that guided Steiner whenever possible was his rule: Every character should have a theme.

With the last quote, we are here with one of the greatest and memorable films of all time. It will be an endless activity if I start gushing about this film. Its story, screenplay, acting, characters, editing, color, I can never end. A very complex plot tied with American Civil War (1861). When I watched this film for the first time, I still could not believe how I sat for continuous four hours without a break, an impossible task for me at any juncture. A breath-taking film! I have never been a fan of any producer (no one I guess), but I am a huge fan of David O. Selznick movies. His movies for RKO and MGM are exceptional in the same way his own independent productions. The first film I hosted in this thread; Rebecca was also produced by him. I loved Vivien Leigh's acting, she is the core of the film with of course Clarke Gable mastery touches. Every character is so gracefully done. Not to forget Olivia de Havilland (Adventures of Robin Hood fame) and Scarlett's maid; Hattie McDaniel, what actresses! 

'I'll never be hunger again' cries Scarlett (Vivien) as the movie ends. Truly an epic emotional film and moment. This theme called Tara's theme is even popular today. The name Tara might appear that this is one character of the film, yes it is, but it is not a girl, it is a place in Georgia where Scarlett and her family lives in a land of cotton plantation. These films and scores are so close to my heart that I am so possessive even about my DVDs, as they are more precious than any precious stones in the world. The theme tells how their land was torn apart after the war and how Scarlett fights and wins to get her bread. Hearing the music alone can tell the various mood, but you can appreciate more if you watch the film, not just once. Wink

More of Max Steiner's score is yet to come...

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:43 am

If there are few hollywood films which I can tell even in my dreams, they would be The Ten Commandments, Mackenna's Gold, Ben-Hur, Guns of Navarone as I have watched these films as a kid (many times) and hold a strong memory of these films. The main reason being Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston. I didn't know any other names other than the hero when I watched the film. Just like our Indian heroes, I was a big fan of Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston. Our friends used to talk a lot about them those days.

I was totally in awe how could they even make such films. Only when I landed here, I learned about other aspects of the film, mainly the background score, thanks to Maestro ILaiyaraaja. Gregory Peck led me to few of his other films. One film which I was deeply attached is 'To Kill A Mockingbird' (meaning - it's a sin to kill a harmless bird) by Robert Mulligan. The film title itself was so intriguing that I started watching the film only to be devastated. It was about racism. I could not stop crying, especially the court scenes. Gregory Peck a true and natural artist, coolest actor I have ever seen. A Great Legend!

Coming to the music of this film, Elmer Bernstein is another extra-ordinary composer who is mainly known again for his score in The Ten Commandments. Please hear this suite and try to attach the mood of the film with the hint I gave. Starts with a mild piano (film starts beautifully with Peck with his two kids in a calm neighborhood) and slowly he adds layers of violins/cellos and trumpets (as the story reaches its climax) till it reaches the crescendo (in allegro) and then slowly glides down with a soothing flute and violins in adagio (peaceful end).

Let's come back to Elmer Bernstein's other films soon. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down