Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Singer - Singers of the future

+12
kiru
crimson king
Usha
Kr
rajkumarc
Drunkenmunk
fring151
jaiganesh
vicks
app_engine
sagi
V_S
16 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Super Singer - Singers of the future - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Singer - Singers of the future

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 pm

vicks wrote: hardly anyone 'chose' IR songs for Western/Jazz round

I'm reminded of the Kamal dialog in OKD when asked to sign a paper (getting reminded of his killed wife who taught him to read & write) Smile

For most TFM aficionados, IR had been the starting point for even talking about WCM...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Super Singer - Singers of the future - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Singer - Singers of the future

Post  app_engine Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 pm

vicks wrote:Eppadi ellam SS is influencing our Youth.. Crying or Very sad

markketting payaluva, nallA therinju vachchirukkAynga - catch 'em young Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm

vicks wrote:yeah thats true Crying or Very sad - my sister who is ~ 2 yrs younger to me (I am 25-26) is, as you can guess, an ARR fan. We almost always end up arguing about IR vs ARR, and recently, one of her comments made me conscious of another aspect of this SS - her comment was that in SS, most singers chose IR songs only for melody round, and that hardly anyone 'chose' IR songs for Western/Jazz round (with that abomination of a 'live band' ) - hence IR is good for melodies, but ARR is better all-rounder - and definitely the best choice for modern/western music. Mad 

Eppadi ellam SS is influencing our Youth.. Crying or Very sad

See, what I was guessing is almost becoming true. How they hypnotize youngsters. I had even commented the same (on twitter) about not choosing IR songs in western round. On the other hand some horrible, plain, childish and silly songs which are considered western songs were sung in that round. Unless they listen to IR songs, they will not even know what they are missing. This is exactly the trend I am talking about.

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:07 pm

In a way they are doing great service to Raaja. I feel that Raaja's music these days need sincere and 
capable followers like Drunkenmunk and likes - reality tv characters better stay in comfort zone of ARR, HJ , GVP, u1 etc.,

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 am

jaiganesh wrote:In a way they are doing great service to Raaja. I feel that Raaja's music these days need sincere and 
capable followers like Drunkenmunk and likes - reality tv characters better stay in comfort zone of ARR, HJ , GVP, u1 etc.,

Sir thats true.. but what shows like SS 4 are doing is that they are actively limiting such capable/musically inclined/curious youth's exposure to Ilayaraja's music. Trust me, it was only when I was ~19/20 that I seriously got hooked to IR.. one of the main reasons for that being - almost none of the media channels/press make a mention of IR by name or praise his composition, and intha Sun Music etc. la 2-3 songs in the whole day would be IR songs - for the longest time, I thought Ilayaraja was 'some' composer in 80s/ early 90s who made some good songs (like Kanmani Anbodu, Podhuvaga en Manasu thangam etc.), and then gave way to ARR.

And its not just me, neraya Youth still think just that - they may know a few IR songs from Kamal/Rajini movies or 1/2 Vairamuthu movies - only becuase these people are still active in the cine industry/covered by the media Smile  - hypothetically, if Kamal had been sidelined/had a series of flops in say, late 80s/early 90s,  and fell out of favor with producers/directors, the media would have dropped him like hot potatoes, and moved on to someone else, and 'youth' maddhila he would not have had this many fans - IR ku vandha gadhi ivarukkum vandhurukkum 

Thats why its important to identify this is happening, and  somehow try to undo the damage being done Crying or Very sad

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:07 am

Saars,

I have trouble understanding. What agenda could Vijay tv have in suppressing Raaja's name or not allowing his songs in western/Jazz round? Are you suggesting that there is some kind of nexus between big bosses of tv channels, sponsors and PR machineries of other MDs? If this is true, it is indeed worrying. I am not ruling out the possibility, but am just genuinely curious.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 am

To be honest, that could be far fetched fring. But it is definitely possible to say for sure that Vijay TV has an anti-IR thing with the head who controls these shows. Possible that he could have faced IR's ego w.r.t some musical show or concert and is showing it out. To me, that seems more possible. appidi irundhudhu naa namma Plum sonnadhu dhaan. Namma enna John Williams aa illa at least Hariharan'aa avurukku munaadi ninnu oru level la pEsa? edhaadhu sonnA kEttutu vara vENdi dhaan.

Or it could simply be a case of the head hating IR for reasons best known to him. I honestly can't link to current MDs or directors (a couple of directors are capable though).
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 am

I agree. What you say seems to be the most likely reason.

Namma enna John Williams aa illa at least Hariharan'aa avurukku munaadi ninnu oru level la pEsa? edhaadhu sonnA kEttutu vara vENdi dhaan.

Namma AtkalukkukAvadhu andha pakkuvamAvadhu. Just look at the kind of questions he gets asked in interviews. I am surprised he hasn't walked out on some of them such as the recent one where the interviewer starts off with a very profound question "Isaina enna?"

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 am

Phrase coinage Plum on twitter Smile 

That isai na enna intriyoo was rotfl Aamstraang Amirthalingam level questions and the look on IR's face as he had a 1000 repartees waiting but was trying to control himself. laugh
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:47 am

Haha Plum rocks.
Aamstraang Amirthalingam level questions and the look on IR's face as he had a 1000 repartees waiting but was trying to control himself. Super Singer - Singers of the future - Page 2 3814821318

MeyyAlumenga...He was literally tripping on that hapless idiot. "EllAm naa enna artham?...Naa sonnA puriyumA..rotfl2 
See, he doesn't feel he has to be polite to the guy. Total no-nonsense man, and can't suffer fools. Pity that he lives in a country full of them.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  vicks Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am

fring/d_m Iyam lighta conspiracy theorist thaan Smile , but my suspicions were based on two things- one, that ss4 and vijay tv in general avoid taking IR's name as much as possible, two, all three judges are known cohorts/groupies (for lack of a better, less offensive word) of a particular MD for a long time.. now I am not saying that MD is doing all this, but it is my general observation that IR haters (definitely some exec in Vijay tv) tend to naturally have an affinity towards this MD, and praise him to the hilt, prob just to snub IR. these ppl may not be paid PR agents, but are pretty much indistinguishable from those, IMO.

adding another layer of conspiracy here,  I think all three judges at one point or the other were snubbed by IR/thittu vaangified (Sujatha's 'taking a break for family' and restarting her career with Roja, Srini's 'throat problem' on the day of a recording in the late 80s, Unni - not sure) and kinda hold that grudge against him I guess. Cool

vicks

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 am

Intereesting theory Vicks.Smile . Just out of curiosity, I watched parts of the western round on youtube today. What a bleeping joke. Again I say,  V_S sir'oda 23 point summary in the other thread on MD's, you tuitter folks should shove in the face of all these rule breakers' fans, "western" music fans, modern music fans and every other category of brainless tone-deaf zombies and youths who consider Ilayaraja old and unfashionable. If you simply use some standard major scale chords, do a copy-paste-improvisation and put tamizh lyrics for it, what exactly is so unique about it? Where is the nativity? Where is your stamp or originality?What is the artistic value to such music? And most importantly, please don't promote this music as western. Call it commercial junk or more euphemistically, modern pop. #Rant over.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:19 pm

In a recent "dance attack" episode, I saw something funny.

The judge who typically resorts to "vAyil kozhukkattai" mode when IR songs are sung, happily indulged in why a specific song was a great choice, how the MD Bharadwaj excelled in composing it, innovative use of veeNai sound etc Laughing

('sirukku sirichchu vandhA cheenA thAnA dOi' is the subject classic) Wink

Isn't this how TN should conduct their next brammANdakkural thEdal?

nallA irukkattum!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I have been watching SS4 on and off. I usually pay attention when any IR song is being performed and look out for judges comments. These 3 judges rarely say anything different from one another in terms of the feedback. They just mix and match words but convey the same thoughts. I don't understand the need for 3 judges then, 1 should be enough right? 

In recent times, I liked the performance of the guy who sang Vandhanam from Vaazhve Maayam (mabbu round I guess). I really don't like promoting the showmanship rather than singing capablities. Asianet's Idea Star Singer was a whole lot better, I still can't forget the 2011 final performance of Idea Star Singer. To compare that with SS4, what can you say.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:48 am

Just now watched 'orE nAL unai nAn nilAvil pArththadhu' performance on Vijay TV by a girl in front of VJ!

As expected, none of the kaLLa gumbal (Mano / TLM / VJ / Gopi included) mentioned the word IR Mad 

However, VJ made my day by "singing" an IR interlude - 'tin tin tidi - tin tin tidi - tin tin tidi -tin tin tin tin" - the great guitar following the humming in the third interlude!

pErai vENA sollAma irukkalAm - but you fellows cannot miss his music kaLLa gumbalE!

How many times an ace singer like VJ ends up singing a guitar interlude on public?

Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 am

Finished that whole show - the agenda is VERY VERY clear - DON'T SPEAK ABOUT IR!

That too how - talk highly about ARR immediately after 'madai thiRandhu' is sung Shocked

VJ goes out of the way to talk about EVEN GA the MD but everybody carefully avoiding IR's name Laughing

nallA irungappA!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 am

Isn't it clear here that it is Vijay TV's agenda? Srinivas, Unni Krishnan and Sujatha vennA sollalAm. They had more to gain from ARR and hence make it a point to speak on him and not on IR. VJ? MSV and IR made her career in TN. Agenda is Vijay TV's imho.

Last edited by Drunkenmunk on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 am

For those who haven't watched yesterday's episode. Yes App ji, they don't specify his name at all. Sad Good that Mano shared his experience with Maestro and also mentioned about his composing style (in today's episode). Yesterday's highlight was TL Maharajan's comments. Even though he has not sung many IR songs, he knows how to sing a song. The way he explained how to sing madai thiranthu shows his experience and dedication, while the usual judges were clueless right from first day on these aspects. He even corrected pababapapaa it should not be pababapoupou. LOL Also, I don't get why they need to mention ARR's name every time when they are discussing about IR songs. Today even Gopi did the same, which was totally out of place (just Vaali being the connection).

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:16 am

kaLLa gumbal urgently making amends to some rare IR praise (courtesy Mano) with sudden thrust of a (hopeless kuppai) ARR song and equating two thAlAttus Shocked

On top of it, gObi mAsAlA telling "different different MDs but great thAlAttus because of Vaali" is nothing but ludicrous. (For that matter, if we remove the mediocre kaNmaNi lAli ponmaNi lAli along with the pAvam Mano voice and replace with instrumental only, it will be far more enjoyable...ivanuga rAsA pAttai inimEl use paNNAmal irundhAl rAsAvukku gauravam!)

I guess we'll have to write to rAsA to ban Vijay TV from using his music hereafter and if necessary sue those fellows!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Wait-a-nimit until you watch yesterday's episode. 90s Vaali songs and you d expect about 4 ARR songs and 1 Deva / IR song. But to my surprise, shock rather, all five were Raaja songs. And fantastic choice of songs too. And one girl sang unnai naanaRivEn who d have thunk! Even that amateur rendition brought tears in my eyes, immediately started looping the original.

But I think they will make up today by staging a 90s part two with ARR songs or 00s songs with all ARR/Harris/Anirudh songs. KaNNil paarvai was Vaali, no?

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:29 pm

kannil paarvai?
paappavo swamigaLo dhaan paadamudiyin..
illaya?

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Yes, I never thought they would sing two songs from same movie (Guna) in one day. Yesterday was a beautiful day for Super Singer 4. Totally blown away by unnai naan arivEn. My respect to Mano has increased as after every song, he never forgot to mention Isai Gnani. Automatically you will mention his name unless you want to consciously avoid his name. That's what is happening with those three judges, but not with TLM, Mano and VJ. We can't really take anything to Mano's singing, as he clearly lost his touch, but at-least he is trying to bring out the nuances which contestants failed. Glad that yesterday UK also mentioned his name and said that it might look easy to sing Raja sir's songs, but only when you sing, you know the nuances and difficulties (after nalam vaazha). Having said that, it was entirely Gopi's mistake to invoke ARR suddenly (just to appease the judges) when the discussion was purely on IR's songs (on 08-07-13 episode).

Here is yesterday's episode (08-08-13).

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes Kannil Paarvai was Vaali.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:55 am

One bloke actually sang Om Sivoham. Btw was this round some kind of a joke? No ARR song and except one Harris song all the post 90s songs were Raaja's !! In super singer !!

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 am

Narayanan - Vaazhga for choosing Om SivOham. the clap While most people shy away in selecting such a song, especially post-2000 period you took such a complex song and delivered. Well sung and heart-felt comments by VJ and TLM. When TLM was saying thank you to Narayanan for choosing that song and explaining how difficult it is to sing the first phrase immediately followed by the pallavi, Gopinath's comment was stunning - "romba kashtaamaana paattO?. vidhyaasamaana song selection, thank you, all the best". LOL How naive! As expected nothing from the top row judges (mugathla ee aadala, as if they were asking why did he chose this song?).

Another bias in judgement was when there were two contestants forgot the lyrics. Parvathi and Nirjari, but Nirjari went into danger zone mainly because Gopinath highlighted that issue and judges got hold of it and every judge repeatedly saying that mistake was huge for the lyrical round, while Parvathi escaped with a minor observation about that from VJ and no other judge even talked about it, and on the other hand praised her mediocre performance. As per my opinion, she is thoroughly lacking in bhaavam (almost in every song) and singing her own sangathis, rather than what was originally composed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next