Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Singer - Singers of the future

+12
kiru
crimson king
Usha
Kr
rajkumarc
Drunkenmunk
fring151
jaiganesh
vicks
app_engine
sagi
V_S
16 posters

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Super Singer - Singers of the future - Page 8 Empty Re: Super Singer - Singers of the future

Post  V_S Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Yesterday was again a mediocre show. This week it has been like this. The main reason is not the singers, but the orchestra. Songs and orchestra did not go well together. Those yesteryear songs were high in vocals compared to accompanying orchestra. When LRE, TMS sang those songs, there were not much accompanying instruments while singing, only they show up brighter in the interludes. If they would left as it is, it would have sounded better. Here the 'unplugged' orchestra overpowers the singers (volume) thereby ruining the experience we get in those glorious songs. Also the way they are playing the piano, trumpet etc is way in-congruent to the original interludes and to the melody which took the soul out of those songs. Singers voices didn't come out because of that overpowering orchestration.

Singing-wise also not much to say, except LRE was too critical of Soundarya (she did pretty good), while Diwakar floundered with no energy at all. Good that Srini acknowledged Soundarya's singing. I like that. Sai Vignesh, Madhumitha and Niranjana were just ok to good, but lot of effort and hard work showed in everyone's singing.

One aspect to note here is they went free-hand when it comes to orchestrate all these songs, but when it came to Maestro's songs last week, they left it the original way of orchestration which tells the authority Maestro has over those compositions. Maestro indirectly saying, 'pichichipuduvan pichchi' Smile

Back to top Go down

Super Singer - Singers of the future - Page 8 Empty Re: Super Singer - Singers of the future

Post  fring151 Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 am

After last week's Raja fest and a reasonably competent orchestra and great guests I decided to continue watching this week's episodes as it was supposedly a rock and roll round. Of course I didn't watch each episode fully, but the biggest dampener was the live band which completely butchered some of Raja's songs. This Stephen Devassy might be a virtuoso, but he was a let down in Raja songs, getting too carried away improvising inappropriately, playing chords and runs which are totally out of place. 'Endhan kannil' was pathetic. When they have a lead guitarist (who likes to tap away to glory) and a bass guitarist occupying center stage, why can't they even reproduce the starting of 'Madai thirandhu'? Hugely underwhelmed by Stephen Devassy and co who I am seeing live for the 1st time. The trumpeter was the best of the group IMO. And I hate it when the judges praise these people after such mediocre performances. Their words completely lose value when they do that.

Anyway my pick was the guy who sang Sambo Siva Sambo

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am

Woohoo Ponmeni Urugudhey in today's episode  Laughing . And Sonia wsa pretty damn good though the band was terrible and got undeserved praise from the judges as expected. Worse was today's performance of 'Indha minminikku kannil oru' where even the singer's improvisations were epci fail IMO. One thing - Devassy might be an accomplished pianist, but even he seems unable to get Raja's chords right most of the time Razz . "Is that an add9, add11, maj7, screw that I'll just play what I want to"

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:44 am

The one good thing about last week's show was Niranjana was finally eliminated.  Hopefully, Madhumita (lacks expression) and Deepti (lacks range) will follow suit soon.  I wonder how Sonia coped with Stephen's arrangements for Ponmeni because the chords were weird and didn't gel with the melody.  She did seem to find it difficult to sing the panikaatrile line in tune, most likely for that reason.  Now they are trying to somehow 'thukkify' Arvind to last a few more rounds.  It's not that he's a bad singer but I dislike his diction.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 am

I sure hope Madhumita is eliminated soon. More than lacking expression I think her attempts at improvisations are tasteless. I am not against improvisations per-se when it comes to Raja songs, but I expect the improvisation to maintain the mood of the song. If you notice, when she sings 'Kaadhal rAjanga paravai' the attempt at improvisation is atrocious to put it bluntly. That line is supposed to be sung in such an airy free-flowing manner and she tries to put an incongruent carnatic touch the very first time she sings it. I don't like her diction either. And Stephen somehow succeeds in making the interlude sound like some 90s boy band filler material, especially towards the end.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:18 am

I frankly did not notice all that because I switched channels just after the first line she sang:P .  There itself, the feel was wrong, way too laidback and casual.  Only Sonia gets the expression right in these kind of raunchy S Janaki songs.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:22 am

Listening to it now.  She doesn't seem to have much of a vibrato (and S Janaki produces a LOT of vibrato) so maybe this is her (hilarious) way of compensating for it.  At any rate, she simply doesn't have the kind of well rounded tone you need for this song.  She seems to be resisting going legato where it is required also.  The last kaiyile sangithi was horrible.  

One thing is when the contestant has finished singing, the judges seem to be reluctant to offer constructive criticism and instead drench them in positivity and all that.  So when they get eliminated, the contestants would end up feeling cheated.  Shouldn't the judges say clearly where the contestants fell short of expectations.  If a yesteryear singer like Eshwari makes pointed criticism about the pronunciation/words, the others actually try to contradict it by applying extra sugar.  If they don't like what the older greats say, they should not call them to the program.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 am

Ya the whole performance was irritating to me - right from the first improvisation, the annoying attempt at sounding stylish by changing her tone in 'kAdhal rAjAnga paravai' (who does she think she is, Janaki? Razz ) to the ridiculous en kayile sangathi.

I don't even understand the point of Sujatha and Srini being judges. The only entertaining thing about them is their goofy expressions. I am yet to hear either of them pass a truly insightful remark about anyone's weaknesses or point out where there is scope for improvement. As some sort of music education for the masses, they can at least say something about the Ragam of the song or something like SPB used to do in ennOdu pAttu padungal. The best comments have so far been from SPB and SJ in their guest episodes and Sailaja last week.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:42 am

I swear, even Shreya Ghoshal or Sunidhi Chauhan appearing on Hindi competitions are stricter than these three musketeers.   They just try to put it politely and gently but they do make their points of criticism (usually very valid).  Even LRS was quite positive to the contestants, telling them they had sung well even as she told them what to correct.  What would Srini do if Asha Bhonsle was called on the show?  She doesn't hesitate to let contestants know she didn't like the performance if that's what she feels.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Saw a post on the hub that the Krishnan guy is also an "Amrita TV" alumni Laughing

So, among the top 11, they have at least 4 borrowed (poached?) from other language channels. (Sarath, Parvathy, Krishnan, Sonia).

Well, it seems Soundarya is from a prior version of Vijay TV's SS program itself. That makes it five.

What about the other six? Any similar background?

இதுக்கு எதுக்குடா திருச்சியெல்லாம் போயி ஆயிரக்கணக்கான மக்களை க்யூ நிக்க வச்சீங்க? rotfl2 

Brilliant marketing by Vijay TV Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 pm

BTW, that these fellows cannot even get for a whole week  pre-IR-oldies ("rock-n-roll") but had to switch to some rAsA songs mid way - with "IR-not-liker" LRE sitting as judge in addition to the existing 3 member kaLLa gumbal - showcases IR's udumbuppidi on the minds of TN public, even now Wink

TRP'nnA chummAvA?

(Interesting to see "Anand sir" declaring his love for Sridevi & SJ Laughing )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Diwakar sang for Jaya TV in Hariyudan Naan Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote:Diwakar sang for Jaya TV in Hariyudan Naan Razz
Laughing
சரியாப்போச்சு...

'டிவி சானல்களின் பிரமாண்டக் குரல் தேடல்'னு சொல்லீட்டுப்போகலாமே?

In any case, it seems they had successfully marketed some of their singers to the Immans of TFM world Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:55 pm

app_engine wrote:BTW, that these fellows cannot even get for a whole week  pre-IR-oldies ("rock-n-roll") but had to switch to some rAsA songs mid way
I too initially thought the whole week was going to be rock-n-roll old songs, but was surprised when they switched in between. They are hugely dependent on Maestro's songs. They also changed the title from rock-n-roll to retro round, how funny! At-least they could not have stayed with the title and sang Raaja's rock-n-roll songs. The orchestra butchered all those wonderful songs, in the name of 'unplugged. Very below/bad performances by Diwakar, Parvathi (no life in her singing at all, last week) and Deepthi (she killed one of the most beautiful song in IFM). I think Parvathi/Deepthi are young to sing those songs, yet Sai Vignesh is doing extremely well for his age. Luckily they survived because of their previous performances. Only solace was Sonia's performance (especially on the mood, though I didn't like some of her improvisations), truly outstanding!

Sonia's performance last week (starts from 20:03)

This week they started well again with a Raaja song. I loved the song selections this week, especially the hindi ones. Let's see how it goes.

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 am

Diwakar used to sing in Kalaignar TVs Innisai Mazhai program as well. Don't really understand their catch phrase when they have got these singers from other channels. Its pretty lame.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:51 am

Surprisingly almost all the contestants sang with heart (except few like Deepthi who had problems) and there was so much difference in their singing compared to previous rounds. To be honest, I didn't expect them to sing like this. The most surprising part is most of them do not know hindi, yet there was not much flaw in pronunciations, they brought life to the songs almost like the original with great expressions. Sai Vignesh chose the toughest of them and sang effortlessly. Arvind and Sonia got the honors from Asha ji. Yes, Aravind voice sounded so north-indian with crystal clear pronunciation without knowing hindi. Hats off guys. I was bowled by Anjana's singing too. What a control in her voice at this tender age. Acapella medley by Devan and group was too good.
One thing to note about Asha ji, even at 80 years, she is able to sing and she is still having control in her voice, when most singers retire at 40s, 50s and 60s. When she was explaining the nuances of 'bas Ek baar mEra kahaa' to Deepthi, I was stunned to say the least. The way she explains how a voice need to have a weight. If that is achieved then you can 'dance' a song. Please don't miss this video (below). These are the experiences we are going to miss with current generation singers, as they don't get to sing such type of compositions. What are they going to guide the coming generations? For example, when they were singing 'aajaa aajaa mein hoon pyar tera' at last, everyone were singing in harmony there was one voice which came from nowhere and spoiled it. Such is the quality we have, just because they don't practice at all. There is a sea of difference when hearing those legends sing. noteworthy
The way she appreciated the musicians and the orchestra was thoroughly moving.

Asha ji's teary tribute to Nadigar Thilagam and NT songs are today's highlight. I could not control my tears. She was looking up all the time to control her tears. Oh man, what a moment! If that is not enough, they kept on posting NT pictures at the background when they were singing his songs. Yes surely everyone misses him a lot. Rewinding again and again to hear what all she said. Unforgettable evening!
One thing I have to say, Vijay TV presented the show very well, except Makapa's some unwanted comments to Krishnan in front of a legend, too embarrassing.

Last edited by V_S on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm

^^^  I remember on some other show, Asha Bhonsle was a judge and she didn't like a performance of Dum Maaro Dum.  After criticising it, she proceeded to demonstrate the antara.  Absolutely flawless singing and she still had more resonance than the much younger contestant was able to produce.   Legend is THE word.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

crimson king wrote: she proceeded to demonstrate
That is one difference between the mediocre Srinivas v/s accomplished singers.

Unnikrishnan and Sujatha are quite capable of demonstrating (IMO) but they too typically fail to do it. They typically throw out some biased opinions happily, often with no substantiation.

Let me quote an example.

For wife's sake, I had to watch Parvathy's massacre of 'nEtRu indha nEram' once again yesterday. (BTW, prior to the singer killing it, the orch totally crippled that classic) Embarassed

That is when I noticed Sujatha showering praises on her Shocked

(The funniest thing is right after her, L R Eswari picked on one of the problems...what's more, Parvathy even got thrown into the "danger zone" for that week. If someone compares that danger zone performance with Sujatha's praises, it can be easily seen what nonsensical kind of "judge" she is).

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Unnikrishnan also seems to avoid singing on the show or sings softly at a very low pitch, if at all.  I wonder if he has strained his voice and does not want to sing unless required (e.g. recording).

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:10 am

Wrote this in twitter.
OMG! Sarath Santhosh's outstanding rendering of Ghantasala's Shivashankari. Best song selection and rendition I ever heard in SS4. Bravo! Unfortunately except Srini, no judges appreciated it so much. Should have been a standing ovation. The most difficult song to sing on stage. I felt very bad when everyone was sitting comfortably as if it was just another song. A song none other than Ghantasala could sing. Yet this young gentleman attempted it bravely without any hiccups. Thoroughly mesmerized. I challenge the other 10 contestants to sing the same song with what Sarath has sung, they will bite the dust. Sai Vignesh can do, but other I hardly have any doubt they can render this song to perfection. Other songs what they sang cannot be compared to the complexity of this song. The best Darbari kaanada I have heard, in film music.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 pm

V_S wrote:
For example, when they were singing 'aajaa aajaa mein hoon pyar tera' at last, everyone were singing in harmony there was one voice which came from nowhere and spoiled it. Such is the quality we have, just because they don't practice at all.
Sounded like Justice Srinvasar's voice to me Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:12 am

Heard the Shivashankari performance today. I will again take this opportunity to register my absolute vexation and bemusement at these two clowns getting paid to judge the contest. As a non-gulti youth, the likelihood I have come across the song is very small. So it is reasonable that I consider it the judges' DUTY and  RESPONSIBILITY to mention the name of the music director and singer. Actually they should do that for every song and also say something about the composition, but I realise it is too much to expect of them. How I wish SPB was one of the judges - he even used to talk about the lyricist in ennOdu pAttu pAdungal.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:11 pm

*Grabs popcorn, takes seat* https://twitter.com/Kamaladdict7/status/401387460707356672 But seriously, cheap, TRP tactics from Vijay and VM.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 pm

What business does KObi have in ASS? Sure it's not a rumour?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next