Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

+44
nambik
Kr
ravinat
crimson king
dilbert
kaarigan
D22_Malar
writeface
Drunkenmunk
crvenky
Punnaimaran
fring151
endrum_raja
rajkumarc
layman10
MumbaiRamki
kamalaakarsh
Usha
mavurundai
Raaga_Suresh
vicks
Sanjeevi
balachidambaram
raajarasigan
mythila
groucho070
irir123
SenthilVinu
kiru
sheepChase
Wizzy
Sakalakala Vallavar
Bala (Karthik)
sagi
skr
kv
kameshratnam
plum
jaiganesh
Admin
Joe
V_S
app_engine
48 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  plum Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 pm

app_engine wrote: Debajyoti Mishra

I don't know much about him (some northie musical) but his reply to a question caught my eye...

What about the current trend of roping in more than one composer for a film? You seem to detest it...

Sanjay Leela Bhansali had once asked me do the background score of Devdas. Songs were composed by Ismail Darbar and I took a stand of not doing it. But my name features on the acknowledgement list. When Subrata Sen was making Nil Nirjane, I had no clue that Cactus too was composing for it. They, in fact, did a great job. I was upset, but then, Subrata and I do not share a professional relationship. We are friends. Again, if Ilayaraja is scoring for a film and I'm asked to do the background score, I'll do it. For Prosenjit's Purushottam, RD Burman composed the music, while I did the background score. I share a great rapport with most filmmakers, but they should choose one composer, otherwise, the sense of ownership gets lost. That's not good for cinema.

Does he mean that IR is special and so he'll do an exception for him?

He is a Bengali composer. I have only heard his songs from Malayalm movie Calcutta news and loved them. Bengali COmposer nalla tune poduvadhu periya vishayam illai - sangeedha parambarai avanga...but his orch was alos spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJXAQRxfdI

one lovely from that movie above

plum

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm

plum wrote:
one lovely from that movie above

Nice one!

(Heard only the sound, deliberately avoided visuals - to make an exclusive assessment of music...'cause Meera Jasmine could positively influence the opinion Embarassed )

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 2798411019

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 am

Suresh ji shared this on twitter. Not to be missed. Thanks Sureshji.
https://soundcloud.com/jagadeesh-jayaraman/radio024-how-rajas-music-gave

Dir. Suseendran talks about Maestro. Got this related interview from the above link.
https://soundcloud.com/jagadeesh-jayaraman/radio097-susi
https://soundcloud.com/jagadeesh-jayaraman/radio103-what-you-can-learn
https://soundcloud.com/jagadeesh-jayaraman/radio104

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 am

April fool business? Well, that's my guess!

பிரபல இந்தி இயக்குநர் பால்கி தற்போது ஒரு புதிய படம் இயக்கி வருகிறார். அந்தப்
படத்துக்கு இசை இளையராஜாதான். இதன் பின்னணி இசை சேர்ப்பு சமீபத்தில் மும்பையில்
நடந்தது. அப்போது இளையராஜாவுடன் மணிரத்னத்தை சந்திக்க வைக்க முயற்சி மேற்கொண்டார்
பால்கி.
மும்பை ஸ்டுடியோ ஒன்றில் இந்த சந்திப்பு நிகழ்ந்தது. இளையராஜாவுடன் நீண்ட நேரம்
பேசிக் கொண்டிருந்தார் மணிரத்னம். இருவரும் கருத்து வேறுபாடுகளை மறந்து,
அடுத்த படம் குறித்துப் பேசியதாகத் தெரிகிறது.
இதன் மூலம் இருவரும் அடுத்த படத்தில் இணையும் வாய்ப்புள்ளதாகக்
கூறப்படுகிறது.
lol!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 am

kaRpoora mullai BGM's hosted by radiospathy
This blog post also has the youtube about the 'mAyA vinOdhini' rAgam (as told by a singer as her discovery when watching the movie...IR composed BGM in a rare rAgam which happened to be the name of the heroine character Shocked )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:03 am

A great tribute to Noel Grant (drummer) by Maestro and Sivamani. Interesting titbits, but it's unfortunate he died in an accident. Sad

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Empty Embar K Q&A with maestro

Post  mythila Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Thank you Vicky for the youtube discs regarding 2 versions of Hamsanadham. If that being the case, why is it so laughable if the judges say it is so? Embarukke veLicham !!!

V_Sji, enakku oru doubttu ❓

Is it about "sundhari neeyum" or "sundhari kaNNAl oru"??

If its the former, it is kedhAram no? "sundhari kaNNAl" is not one homogenous ragam.Full pallavi and few parts of charanam seems to be in Yaman. But those charanam opening lines "solaiyilum pookaL pookum naanum neeyum koodinaal"- vEra edho ragam , not Yaman , for sure. Raja is already throwing up in exasperation, I can visualize Smile

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm

mythila wrote:V_Sji, enakku oru doubttu ❓

If its the former, it is kedhAram no? "sundhari kaNNAl" is not one homogenous ragam.Full pallavi and few parts of charanam seems to be in Yaman. But those charanam opening lines "solaiyilum pookaL pookum naanum neeyum koodinaal"- vEra edho ragam , not Yaman , for sure. Raja is already throwing up in exasperation, I can visualize Smile
I thought it was about sundari kaNNaal. The main reason being no one can make a mistake on sundari neeyum (kedaram vs kalyani), because that is a leap of difference between the two raagams, if I am not wrong. Since sundari kaNNaal has bits of kalyani (yaman), but not the whole song, if one broadly classify it as kalyaani, that would have triggered Maestro. Is it not? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 pm

V_S wrote:
mythila wrote:V_Sji, enakku oru doubttu ❓

I thought it was about sundari kaNNaal. The main reason being no one can make a mistake on sundari neeyum (kedaram vs kalyani), because that is a leap of difference between the two raagams, if I am not wrong. Since sundari kaNNaal has bits of kalyani (yaman), but not the whole song, if one broadly classify it as kalyaani, that would have triggered Maestro. Is it not? Smile
i saw the video again closely - he says "sundari Neeyum"..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Empty ILECTRO

Post  mavurundai Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 am

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Ilectro

Samples
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/487026-01.htm

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ilectro!-mw0002492079

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/684154-ilaiyaraaja-ilectro

mavurundai

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 am

Thanks jai for confirmation. Then it is a blunder. Shocked I was even thinking in which show sundari neeyum was sung? He sang sundari kaNNaal in almost every show which made me think IR was referring to that.

Back to top Go down

Post  endrum_raja Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Nice video about Raja sir's interaction about Noel's. Somewhere in web in photographer Venkat's video, i guess he did talked about him. It was very unfortunate of him died in accident.

The song "Oru Naal" from uravaadum nenjam, remains my one of the all time favorites along with "Engengo Sellum" from Pattakathi Bairavan. These two songs i used to listen in loop and never felt tired.

In one of CSR's blog in his letter to reply, Maestro has written about this song. The string section along with the rhythm keeps us engrossed till finish. Would love to see this song performed LIVE in one of maestro 's concert along with SPB.

endrum_raja

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I guess the IR-MR meeting is not April fool thingy of media but something that really happened (if one goes by the # of reports, confirmation of a twitter & the quick reaction of Suhasini about MR-ARR-alliance-still-strong etc).

So, it's not all that dumb now to comment on this episode.

I'm not sure if IR-MR have never met / exchanged pleasantries etc post-rOjA (or post-the-alleged-saNdai-during-thaLabathi-BGM-work). However, all these news reports claim so! Anyone with a knowledge of otherwise (that of IR-MR sharing a dais, attending a function together, post-92 pic together etc), please share here. I don't think I've seen any, if one goes by memory.

So, for now, let's assume post-rOjA, these two never had a personal handshake / conversation / meeting etc. (There had been rumours that MR wanted IR for iruvar but the maestro refused to meet him).

Assuming some strong animosity with MR (& GV may be) being the background, what has changed now? Why there was a meeting? They report Balki did the mediator biz but I'm not sure he can push IR, if he felt too strong against it. So, it must be like IR possibly mellowed down (or didn't have that much against MR even to begin with and the reason for no-meet-for-20-years was due to MR).

One has to also take into account that IR had shared dais with ARR himself on many occasions (may be reasoning "எய்தவன் இருக்க அம்பை நோவானேன்?"). Also, there had been pictures with KB (who was part of "எய்தவன்" group and the saNdai with him was pre-MR saNdai). Such ones negate the theory that IR's saNdais are irreconcilables. (Not that we've not seen such, for e.g. with VM / GA Laughing but those are perhaps the only ones. OTOH, he did change equations w.r.t. BR & Kovaiththambi).

Now my uLaRals start, on the overall IR-MR relationship:

-IR had extra affection for MR as a director when they worked together, more than what he had for some XYZ director. (Obvious from his scores, from that Hindu article where he talked highly about him to a BR-asst-turned-director, dinathanthi varalAtru suvadugaL where he praised him along with BM, recommended MR to GV without knowing they were brothers etc)

-IR felt MR was "his boy", one he nurtured and helped grow up to be a famous director and was extremely hurt when MR chose to go with KB's (& may be GV's) designs and picked his former instrumentalist as MD for rOjA

-IR got further depressed that the new combo clicked / got all-India fame / got praised more than his works etc. In that "irritation" mode, didn't want to have "anything to do with MR anymore" (assuming iruvar rumor to be true)

-MR found the going great without IR, though he had to work harder with ARR for scores & desired output but the boy adored him, is a "talented AmAnjAmi" and quite happy about it.

-Only thing that bothered MR from time to time is the media. While that hailed him during successes, it mercilessly pulverized him during failures. Of late, with more failures than successes, this has become a major issue. Especially the Thamizh media, that often reminds people how he never had failures with IR etc.

-MR suspects (or somebody advised him) that the recent animosity of the Thamizh media is because there are some HCIRFs running it / behind it. He had better do some amends with such nastiness to get some good (or at least tolerable) press for his future ventures.

-MR decides to make a courtesy call to IR and make it a show to the media. IR is possibly a mellowed old man after all these years...why not try thru some common friends, may be ask Suhasini to do a show for him...didn't I sign-up Karthik Raja for dum-dum-dum, he can tell his dad...or may be Balki can arrange a meeting.

-MR possibly reasoned, after all, ARR won't take it bad. If at all he grumbles, let's make a statement to the press via Suhasini Laughing ARR is necessary for today's market - IR is not a force there! The only thing is some of IR's followers make a big noise via media & the need of the hour is to keep them quiet. Well, such a meeting could generate some +ve news and help erase the nastiness written about kadal. After all, people have only short-term memory (one day JJ is arakki and the next day she is goddess)!

-Now, MR knows very well that the media won't be satisfied with just "one show". They may want more.

-So, please expect more such "shows". (Some meeting in weddings, audio releases and such).

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

app_engine wrote:(or post-the-alleged-saNdai-during-thaLabathi-BGM-work)
MR too had a tiff with IR during Thalapathi? I never heard this. Please explain Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 pm

V_S wrote:
app_engine wrote:(or post-the-alleged-saNdai-during-thaLabathi-BGM-work)
MR too had a tiff with IR during Thalapathi? I never heard this. Please explain Smile

I can't find that blog post now but it alleged that during the BGM work in Mumbai for thaLabathi, MR wanted some change but IR refused, resulting in some irritation / saNdai. That blog post connected that with pudhuppudhu arththangaL issue between IR-KB and how both those paved the way for ARR.

During my search for that post, I found another:

http://tnmurali.blogspot.com/2012/10/blog-post_6.html

பல நாட்கள் எனக்கு மட்டும் ஒரு விஷயம் தெரியாமல் இருந்தது. மணிரத்தினம் இயக்கத்தில் தளபதி படத்தில் "புத்தம் புது பூ பூத்ததோ" என்ற ஒரு பாடல் உண்டாம்(எனக்கு ஆடியோ CD கேட்டுப் பழக்கமில்லை.)அது திரைப்படத்தில் இடம் பெறவில்லை. சூப்பர் சிங்கர் நிகழ்ச்சியில் இந்தப் பாடலை ஒருவர் பாடியபோதுதான் தெரிந்து கொண்டேன். முதல் முறை கேட்கும்போதே அதன் மெட்டும் இசையும் ஏசுதாஸின் இனிமையான குரலும் என்னைக் கவர்ந்துவிட்டது. ஆரம்ப ஆலாபனை இருக்கிறது பாருங்கள் அப்படியே என்னைக் கட்டிப் போட்டு விட்டது.இவ்வளவு இனிமையான மயக்கும் பாடலை மணிரத்தினம் ஏன் கட் செய்து விட்டார் என்று புரியவில்லை.இந்த விஷயத்தில் மணிக்கும் ராஜாவிற்கும் கருத்து வேறுபாடு ஏற்பட்டது இருவர் பிரிவுக்கும் காரணமாக அமைந்ததாகச் சொல்கிறார்கள். ஏ.ஆர.ரகுமான் என்ற புயல் வீச அடிப்படையாக இதுதான் அமைந்ததோ?

Either way, IMHO, it wasn't just IR-GV differences that pushed MR away from him. There had to be more than that.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks ji. I never knew this. So, ivvaLavu nadanthurukkaa?

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am

ellaarum Odiyaanga. Smile Especially KV and aakarsh who were craving for a 'maand' raagam from Maestro.

Raja confirms that raasaavE unnai naan eNNithaan song (thanikkaattu raaja) is maand. I don't who that lady is, but she brought one important aspect of this song. How a ghazal is hidden in this gem. Only after she said, I could realize that it is more ghazal'ish. Wow! eththanai kOdi inbam vaithaai Raja!

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:29 am

that lady is an awesome singer - she was able to climb on to the song straight away - like magic..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm

TMS on annakkiLi onnaththEdudhE

You have also sung for generations of music composers from Mahadevan and Dakshinamoorthy to Ilayaraja and A.R. Rahman, and sung with all the great singers of your time…

True. I am happy that I could work with such wonderful people. Although each composer had a different style and manner, they were all happy with my voice.

Many a time I used to improvise on their compositions, in my attempt to give life to the poet’s lines. In many songs, I have used several variations while singing certain lines to embellish a mood or a situation, which was appreciated by the composers, and later, the audience. For example, the song ‘Annakkiliye…’ (in the film Annakkili, for which Ilayaraja composed music for the first time) I have sung the same line in the end in three different ways. There were also instances, when I used to change the music scores to suit the character and scenes. The composers and directors were graceful enough to accept my suggestions. The acceptance and admiration of the audience is the ultimate proof of their popularity.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Interesting to look at this archive...nostalgic

I happened to be the "opening batsman" of that tfmpage thread and we collected a list of 1000 nice hits of rAsA at that point of time Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 1 - Page 19 Empty FKR058 - Ilayaraja - Ilectro

Post  mavurundai Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 am

http://b-music-collective.blogspot.com/2013/04/fkr058-ilayaraja-ilectro.html

mavurundai

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 am

mavurundai wrote:http://b-music-collective.blogspot.com/2013/04/fkr058-ilayaraja-ilectro.html
I'm worried if the compilation really has the 'idhu namma ALu' song (sangeetham pAda gnAmuLLavarkaL vENdum)...
Because, that is not by IR - supposedly a KBR composition (with assistance by Shankar-Ganesh)
It will be a big Embarassed if that gets released by finders keepers as IR song!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:14 am

app_engine wrote: Interesting to look at this archive...nostalgic

I happened to be the "opening batsman" of that tfmpage thread and we collected a list of 1000 nice hits of rAsA at that point of time Smile
Wow! Thanks a lot. the clap This is treasure trove. Let me grab what all they have. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 am

Good catch app ji. I have twitted them to remove that song. Don't know if they will.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 am

app_engine wrote:
mavurundai wrote:http://b-music-collective.blogspot.com/2013/04/fkr058-ilayaraja-ilectro.html
I'm worried if the compilation really has the 'idhu namma ALu' song (sangeetham pAda gnAmuLLavarkaL vENdum)...
Because, that is not by IR - supposedly a KBR composition (with assistance by Shankar-Ganesh)
It will be a big Embarassed if that gets released by finders keepers as IR song!

it was a goof up on the part of the blogger, the track on the cd is from 'Padikatha Panaiyaar'
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next