Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh

+23
jayannamalai1979
karthicc
irfan123
ksnavaneeth@gmail.com
vaticanscientist
fring151
crimson king
Drunkenmunk
skr
layman10
Usha
plum
Raaga_Suresh
olichudar
jaiganesh
rajkumarc
kiru
sagi
groucho070
SenthilVinu
V_S
Wizzy
app_engine
27 posters

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Empty Re: Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm

The last one for the year - rAjA pArvai Smile

Sujatha wrote a nice article in kumudam on the panthuvarALi instrumental piece, starting with the line 'Kamaludan oru mAlai nEram'...I still remember that piece increasing my Aval to listen to the instrumental Smile

Anyways, the disk cover available in that site does not give us any additional info that we don't know about this album / movie.

The only funny thing about this pic is it misses the lyric writer of the most popular song of the album - andhi mazhai. VM had a lot of media attention those days when the songs arrived, giving explanation as to why "indhiran thOttaththu mundhiri" and such. (OTOH, years later rAsA ridiculed the song asking how can a blind fellow sing about seeing the girl's face in every drop of rain).

Anyways, both the other lyricists - Kavingar for 'azhagE azhagu dEvadhai' & GA for 'vizhiyOraththukkanavum' - are seen here in the pictures available to us!

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Rajapa10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Rajapa11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Empty Re: Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Start 1982, the year when EchO records got launched and started getting featured on movie title cards.

Let's start with one "bayamuRuththal" cover where Suhasini appears in dance costume Laughing

BTW, while many of us were critical of the quality and packaging of EchO cassettes, we must admit that their vinyl covers were some kind of 'maRu malarchchi' to that industry! Very nice and refreshing with their picture quality!

AgAya gangai (director Manobala) cover (mu Mehta appearing in this thread for the first time):

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Agaya_10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Agaya_11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm

oru rAgam pAdalOdu...what an Anandha rAgam!

The first disk to have a rare kind of song - a KJY-IR duet (kadalOram kadalOram)...

Sivakumar-Radha acted in this BO disaster that had such evergreen numbers...

The director Bharani was an artist and was doing artwork for movies (I've seen many posters, newspaper ads and such material with his signature those days)

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Ananda10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Ananda10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

The song 'kAviriyE kAviriyE' is such an enjoyable number from 'archanaippookkaL' and one of my favourites at the time of arrival. Not a big hit song but so soothing with its "riverside" effect...nothing else was talked about this movie those days (and now)...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Archan10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Archan11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 pm

In the "anything about IR on the net" thread, we recently got treated with a lovely youtube...of jaiganesh's child playing on key board a multiple-avatAr-rAsA-song!

While 'thumbi vA' (from Malayalam film OLangaL) happened to be the most popular number out of all those avatArs, there happened to be its first TFM avatar in a Vijayakanth movie Auto Raja - 'sangaththil pAdAtha kavithai' (IR-SJ).

Let's look at the cover of Auto Raja, which is quite unique. The movie's MDs were Shankar-Ganesh and they composed all songs except the sangaththil number (and possibly did the re-recording). The producer (or director) managed to get one song from rAsA and happily featured his picture on this cover Smile

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Auto_r10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Auto_r11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Director Mahendran's run of failures continued with 'azhagiya kaNNE'. (I had the misfortune of watching this movie in theater, after magazines raised the expectations writing about this as an inspired from 'the oman' etc. Despite having a lot of stars, like Baby Anju, movie was extremely boring).

Songs too were quite average, both in listening pleasure and hit status (i.e. by IR standards)...out of them, 'chinnachchinnakkaNgaL reNdu' was my pick those days.
Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Azhagi10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Azhagi10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm surprised to see four pictures for a not-so-famous 'echchil iravukaL'. The movie done by pErAsiriyar A.S.Prakasam. The shiny cover for the disk could be due to the fact that Balu Mahendra did the camera work for this film and possibly the pictures were impressive. (Polydor label Shocked )

IIRC, it was a movie about pichchaikkArarkaL and one of them was played by Pratap Pothen Laughing konjamAvathu nambuRa mAthiri irukka vENdAmA sArE? BTW, the lead actress looks like 'oru thalai rAgam' heroine...correctA?

Anyways, here are pictures for the movie that had 'poomEla veesum poongAththE, en mEl veesa mAttAyA?' (a melody somewhat similar to 'mazhaikkAla mEgam onRu maNi oonjal Adiyadhu' that came a little later bearing GA's name in the prEmAbhishEkam remake)...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Echil_10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Echil_11

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Echil_12

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Echil_13

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:18 am

ok, one more cover (possibly the last one for this week)...

A very acclaimed album (i.e. by HCIRFs)!

Another movie with Pratap Pothen as Ezhai / kudisai dweller etc (but with jeans IIRC).

Easily one of the best albums of IR's career (though not recognized as such at the time of arrival or for years...internet somewhat helped showcase this in the deserved light).

eera vizhikkAviyangaL!

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Evk_fr10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Evk_ba10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Two landmark movies got released in the early part of 1982.

one, moonRAm piRai - Kavingar's last song 'kaNNE kalaimAnE', NA for Kamal, one of the best performances of Sridevi, one of the all-time-great movies of BM / TF, a very competent score by IR with that path-breaking 'poongAtRu pudhidhAnadhu'.

Now, this vinyl cover somewhat confuses me Embarassed

All along, I was thinking that poongARRu was by VM. This says kavingar Smile Howver, the confusion is because it lists the track incorrectly ('poongAtRu thAlAttudhu') Sad Someone please confirm me if they heard from elsewhere too that the song was written by kavingar only and not VM!

The disk has only four songs ('vAnengum thanga viNmeenkaL' is not listed). With 'putham pudhukkAlai' and 'en iniya pon nilAvE' getting credited to Gangai Amaran, some of the 'iyaRkai ezhil' songs that I've earlier attributed to VM had gone. With 'poongARRu pudhidhAnadhu' going kavingar's way, I'm not sure whether I can assertively say 'vAnil oru deepAvaLi' was by VM Embarassed

Now I need some document to believe that...

Here are the pictures (Kamal & Sridevi)...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Moonra10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Moonra11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Two, payaNangaL mudivadhillai! A musical with silver jubilee success (i.e. in Gaitey Singarathope Trichy...may be golden in Madras).

First movie that had IR's name above the movie's title on posters (that "Ilayarajavin innisai mazhayil" thingy).

No confusions here regarding lyricists Smile

rAga deepam & maNiyOsai kEttu : Muthulingam

iLayanilA, thOgai iLamayil & sAlaiyOram : VM

vaigaraiyil & Ey AththA : GA

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Payana10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Payana11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  groucho070 Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 am

app, your Prathap Pothen remarks Laughing

If not mistaken, only the Deepavali song (mundram pirai) was by VM. We had a cassette back then, also didn't feature that song.

Anyway, keep it going, and thanks.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one." - Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood in Dead Pool)
groucho070
groucho070

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

nanRi groucho on the moonRam piRai song confirmation!

While it does not take anything away from the tremendous skills of VM w.r.t. handling Thamizh vocabulary in poetry, this thread is fast reducing the number of GREAT IR songs that I've hitherto accounted for VM Smile

Of course it was all due to my own ignorance and not VM's fault but this diminishing just makes me think why the media made (and continues to make) such a big noise over the break-up of IR & VM...

'putham puthukkAlai' & 'en iniya pon nilAvE' gone (GA)

'poongARRu pudhidhAnadhu' gone (KD)

Three IR biggies that are in my most-fav list are no longer burdened with the VM-tag Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Time to post two biggie movies that got released on the same day in 1982 (such has become a thing of the past now - the industry is so "simplified" nowadays - that a biggie star gets no competition, releases in 100's of theaters simultaneously and try to get investment back within a week regardless of the movie being good or bad)...

sakala kalA vallavan (iLamai idhO idhO / nilA kAyudhu / nEththu rAththiri / katta vaNdi)

Kamal / ambi chEchi / AVM / vAlee...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Skv_fr10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Skv_ba10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

engEyO kEtta kural - a very similar team

Rajini / ambi chEchi / rAdhA chechi / SPM / PA

Interestingly Kamal, who was known for drama did masAlA and Rajini did drama at this point of time. SKV had huge BO success while EKK a modest run. OTOH, Rajini got some brownie points from critics in the acting department (I'm yet to watch this movie)...

Just noticed the "mottai" style picture of rAsA on this cover...so, this year marked his departure from bell-bottom / cooling glass to rudhrAtcham...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Engeyo10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Engeyo11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm

IR must have personally considered kAdhal Oviyam to be a landmark. There's a big picture of him teaching BR guitar. And the EchO company had a nice sleeve around the vinyl, with 5 pictures for us!

VM has penned all songs except 'kuyilE kuyilE' which was by PA. Similarly, SPB sang in all (male) songs except poojaikkAga which was DC.

The lead pair had interesting "real" names - Kannan & Radha (I put "real" within quotes because the original name of Radha was Udhayachandrika. Also, not sure if Kannan was the original name of the intro-hero but something given by BR. Earlier BR had changed Murali s/o Muthuraman into Karthik for alaigaL Oyvathillai. And he was notorious for changing the names of most heroines to suit his 'first letter R' sentiment -Radhika / Rathi / Rohini / Radha / Revathy / Ranjani / Ranjitha...In any case, these two were known by these names in the field / media).

Unfortunately, like many movies that had "blind-musical-as-hero", this too was a BO disaster.

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kadhal13

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kadhal12

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kadhal10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kadhal11

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kadhal12

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 am; edited 3 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Anyone who looks at the list of albums by IR for this 1982 can understand why SPB keeps calling him 'rAtchashan' Smile

One more monster like EVK, KO...NN (hosting the original NEPV besides pani vizhum malarvanam).

All songs were penned by VM. The album cover shows very clearly the new avatar of IR (white jibbA, ruthrAtcha mAlai, mottai etc). musicalaya has only 2 pictures and definitely misses at least one more sheet of the wrapper that had the song listing.

I was dying to see that because my collegemate copied a number of those instrumental tracks from this disk in a cassette and that cassette was one of my all-time-fav during college days. (tik-tik-tik BGM pieces, ullAsappaRavaikaL title music etc)

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Ninaiv10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Ninaiv11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 pm

All of us are aware of the IR-MSV combo for mellath thiRandhadhu kadhavu - MTK - that happened in 1986. Interestingly, years before, MSV sang in the music of rAsA Smile And, that vinyl cover has a MSV-IR picture. thAi MookAmbikai was the movie and one song had MSV, BMK & seerkAzhi singing together.

Then there was another that had three female voices - isaiyarasi ennALum nAnE. The song many contestants try nowadays on TV competitions. Ofcourse, the famous 'janani janani' with which IR started his recent stage concerts is from this movie too.

It's not that all songs were of such "devotional" genre. It also had 'seenaththup pattumEni iLanchittu mEni' duet & 'pasikku sORum illE' folk number, those too got played regularly on radio those days.

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thai_m10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thai_m11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am

There should have been two (or more) versions of 'thanikkAttu rAjA' disks. musicalaya has two.

The sandhanakkARRE & rAsAvE onna nAn are evergreen favourites.

Rajini-Sridevi-Jaishankar-Sripriya. Rajini gets to romance two girls in this film.

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thanik10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thanik11

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thanik12

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thanik10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:24 am

One of the finest folk album of IR from the year 1982 when he was strongly into classical / western genres - "thooRal ninnu pOchchu".

All the songs were patti-thotti hits ('En sOga kathaiyakkELu' is a phrase getting used even now Shocked And that happened to be a song penned by GA).

5 lovely songs and each one got written by a different lyricist. VM has thangachchangili, Muthulingam did the bhoopALam isaikkum, vAli played around with 'thAlAtta nAn poRandhEn' and ErikkaraippoongARRE was by Chidambaranathan (not much known in the IR era).

Intro movie of Sulakshana, a good actress, who later married & divorced MSV's son.

Nambiar did a nice role in this movie Smile

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thoora10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thoora11

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thoora12

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Thoora13

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:45 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 am

One more disaster from director Mahendran - metti

Of course, it had some nice gems from IR. Radhika / Sarathbabu didn't evoke any response from the audience. I remember watching this movie and don't remember what it was all about Embarassed

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Metty_10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Metty_11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 am

Metti was mahendran's take on 'pride and prejudice'
with central theme of finding a suitable grooms for
girls of a family without a father figure. it is one of
those offbeat movies which you appreciated only when
a lesser director mauls the story years later.
The culprit happened to be rajeev menon.

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 pm

A Karthik-Radha movie with the name 'kaNNE rAdhA' Laughing

Directed by Rama Narayanan - was probably his first movie with rAsA. (I think he did one more with rAsA, 'manaivi sollE mandhiram'. Being budget-conscious, he was otherwise regular with Shankar-Ganesh and other less expensive talents available).

EchO records trying to use newer pictures of rAsA Smile

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kanne_10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kanne_11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Another movie which is known for rAsA songs than anything else today.

manjaL nilA, starring Suresh & Ranjani. Well, not the mudhal mariyAdhai / Chithram Ranjani from Singapore.

This one is a Keralite. ( Well, her sister is more famous - Oorvashi (the thiruttu / thirippu sundhari) Smile Another sister who acted in a couple of popular movies is "pushti" Kalpana (chinna veedu / sathileelAvathi) Smile )

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Manjal10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Manjal10

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Another IR movie with "panneer pushpangaL" Suresh - 'maganE maganE'. (I don't know whether this got released at all ; don't even remember seeing any poster). A couple of sweet songs, however!

I love 'madhu malargaLE dhinam malarndhadhu' by MV/SJ !

As inippu as the madhu from malar!

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Magane10

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Magane11

Last edited by app_engine on Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm not familiar with this movie at all until the web era - kavidhai malar.

Never heard the songs prior to hearing them in thiraippAdal. From the vinyl it looks like Madhavi was the heroini...

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kavidh12

Vinyl ("LP" record) covers speak about IR (Pictures & Details) - Thamizh - Page 5 Kavidh10

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next