Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR

+3
mythila
V_S
app_engine
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR - Page 2 Empty Re: Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR

Post  V_S Tue May 10, 2016 5:26 pm

hariyuva neeru hasurina pairu elleDe aa taaya siriyE
hoogaLa kampu maragaLa sompu ellu aa taaya nageyE  
bharata maateyaa ee tanujaateya
cheluvanu noDuta naliyuta mereyuvenaa

entha soundarya noDu namma karunaaDa beeDu
gandhada gooDidu kalegaLa touridu
kannaDa naaDidu chinnadaa maNNidu

The song which I sing often when I gather with some Kannada friends here. An iconic song for Kannada film music. An iconic song for SPB. I love the visuals too which takes to some of the most romantic places on earth. Everlasting one in the hearts of music lovers. It's one of the iconic creations of Maestro. If this is iconic, what about the other three songs? HELOru kELOru yaarillaa illi by S Janaki, a terrific rock and jazz classic. What a rendition by SJ! Phew!! Then comes Baanu bhoomiya the original version of EthO ninaivugaL (agal vilakku). You can enjoy SPB and KJY versions and make comparison who was the best for our entire lifetime. Mareyada harushada sudina by P Susheela is a lilting ghazal composition, as usual, an often overlooked number by listeners. What more can you ask for!

Peketi Sivaram was born in Andra Pradesh. He has a big history in film industry, acting many telugu and kannada films (along with ANR and NTR) before taking film direction from late 60s till late 70s. During this period, G.K.Venkatesha and T G Lingappa were his regular music directors. May be that's where he found Maestro too, I believe. Maathu Thappadha Maga was probably his last film as a director and Aakhari Poratam was probably his last film as an actor, surprisingly both the films were scored by Maestro which to me serves as a sublime tribute by Maestro to this wonderful actor and director.

More details about the director can be found here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peketi_Sivaram#Filmography_.28partial.29

Back to top Go down

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR - Page 2 Empty Re: Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR

Post  V_S Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Wow! This exercise is really exciting. I get to know so many film personalities, insights into their film career and life. Today we are going to hear about another stalwart in film industry; Dasari Yoganand. Apart from direction, he was even active in India's freedom movement and had close relationship with many leaders. When it comes to films I don't where to start. He has worked with wide range of actors, actresses, music directors, lyricists. Just to give a glimpse of his profile, he started directing films way back in 50s. He worked with all leading artists like Nadigar Thilam, MGR, NTR, ANR, SSR, Gemini Ganesan, Savithri, Banumathi and the list goes on. Same way when it comes to music directors, he worked with Susarla Dakshinamurthi, T V Raju (Jayasimha, Todu Dongalu...), G Ramanathan (Madurai Veeran, Kaveri,...), C N Pandurangan (Bhoologa Rambha,...), Vedha (Anbu engE (murasoli maaran's story), Parthiban Kanavu,...) K V Mahadevan (Raani Samyuktha, Parisu,...), M S Vishwanathan (Grahapravesam, General Chakravarthi, Justice Gopinath,...). The lyricists he worked with were and are the best in the industry ever; PattukOttai Kalyanasundaram, Kaviyarasar Kannadasan, Thanjai Ramaiah Doss, Maruthakasi and so on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naan_Vazhavaippen

It is indeed surprising that he picked MSV at the late end of his (MSV's) career, while he worked with KVM earlier. Good to hear that he recognized Maestro in his early years. This film, Naan Vaazha VaippEn was again a Sivaji, Rajinikanth (Cameo) starrer and Maestro responded with 4 stunning songs (ennOdu paadungaL, thiruththEril varum silaiyO, agaayam mElE,  enthan ponvaNNamE (two versions; TMS & P Susheela) ). I still remember watching the film in theater. This film was a remake of Hindi film Majboor (Amitabh starrer). The film was not a hit, but the songs definitely stood out and were big hits those days, and still standing tall. He went back to MSV and Chakravathy after this film, but not sure if those songs are heard well today.

His film list is so seducing that it would make me prepare a big musical playlist out of his filmography. It will be interesting to see how the film music has evolved and transformed through his works as he worked for 4 decades.

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed May 11, 2016 10:44 pm

V_S wrote: The film was not a hit

I wasn't into films / film stats those days but going by cousin's account, this was some kind of "come-back" film for Rajini, after his stress (madness?) related problems.

It could be an exaggeration but I was told there were "repeat audiences" who will enter the theater only after interval, to enjoy Rajini Laughing

It is highly probable the movie earned its money and more...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 12, 2016 6:09 pm

May be you are right. From my memory and the list of films I saw that times like Justice Gopinath, Pilot Premnath, General Chakravarthi, Imayam etc, I thought so. If we get some more reliable source that would be better too. Another interesting part was many of the films came that time were remakes.

BTW, I found one awesome and hilarious write-up of Naan Vaazha VaippEn from our dearest grouch Very Happy
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com/2011/09/retroreview-naan-vazhavaipen.html

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Not that this blog is the ultimate, but it restates what had been the general public knowledge those days :
http://worldcinemafan.blogspot.com/2012/04/blog-post_1074.html

மன நிலை முற்றிலும் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட நிலையில்...
 நினைத்தாலே இனிக்கும் படத்துக்காக சிங்கப்பூர் சென்ற போது... பாலச்சந்தரையே அடிக்க கை ஒங்கி விட்டார்.
 அடிக்க வந்தது ரஜினி அல்ல...மனநிலை பாதிக்கப்பட்ட குழந்தை.... எனக்கண்டு கொண்ட இயக்குனர் பாலச்சந்தரும்...சிவாஜியும் சேர்ந்து...
 தங்களுக்கு வேண்டிய டாக்டரிடம் காண்பித்து சிகிச்சை அளித்து நார்மலாக்கினார்கள்.
ஆனால் மீடீயாதொடர்ந்து பைத்தியக்கார பட்டம் கட்டி கொண்டே இருந்தது.

தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் ரஜினியை வைத்து படமெடுக்க தயங்கிய காலத்தில்...
 சிவாஜி, தன்னுடைய படங்களில் ரஜினியை நடிக்க வைத்து வாழ்வளித்தார்

எம்ஜியார் முதல்வரானதால்... சிவாஜி, தமிழ் சினிமாவில்....
 ஏக போக சக்ரவர்த்தியாக கொடி கட்டி பறந்த காலம்.
ரஜினியை... நான் வாழ வைப்பேன் ...என கை கொடுத்த சிவாஜி...
 அதே பெயரில் ஒரு படமும் கொடுத்தார்.
அந்தப்படம் ரஜினிக்கு மறு வாழ்வு கொடுத்தது.

Also, from the cache page of newspaper dinakaran (direct link expired), one can see that the movie was produced by K R Vijaya and was a success :

1969 பெப்ரவரி 28 ம் திகதி அக்கா தங்கை வெளியாயிற்று. படம் வெற்றி பெற்று நூறு நாள் ஓடியது. கே.ஆர்.விஜயாவின் நடிப்பை எல்லோரும் போற்றிப் புகழ்ந்தனர்.
இதனால் மகிழ்ச்சி அடைந்த கே.ஆர்.விஜயா, மீண்டும் படங்களில் நடிக்கலானார். இந்த இரண்டாவது ரவுண்டில் பல முக்கியமான படங்களில் அவர் நடித்தார்.
சிவாஜpகணேசனுடன் அவர் நடித்த தங்கப்பதக்கம், பாரத விலாஸ், ராமன் எத்தனை ராமனடி, நான் வாழ வைப்பேன் ஆகிய படங்கள் மகத்தான வெற்றி பெற்றன. குறிப்பாக நான் வாழ வைப்பேன் படத்தில் ரஜpனிகாந்த் ஒரு முக்கிய வேடத்தில் மிகச்சிறப்பாக நடித்து ரசிகர்களைக் கவர்ந்தார். இது கே.ஆர்.விஜயா சொந்தமாகத் தயாரித்த படம்.

May be people like Murali Srinivas sir (who is great on cine history / memory) can confirm the BO of this movie. It should be there in some hub NT thread but I'm too lazy to search there Smile  

A quick google search on mayyam, however, brought this post that has a 100th day "shield giving" picture - posted by NT rasigar manRaththalaivar Wink
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9593-Nadigar-Thilagam-Sivaji-Ganesan-Part-8&p=722861&viewfull=1#post722861

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 pm

Great! Thanks a lot app ji for the details. I take back my words Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 6:41 pm

ok, here is the most authentic info one can get on such movies (by none other than Murali Srinivas sir) :

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?6549-Nadigar-Thilagam-Sivaji-Ganesan-Part-4&p=339430&viewfull=1#post339430

வருடம் - 1979

1. திரிசூலம் என்ற பிரும்மாண்டமான வெற்றி படம் வெளி வந்த வருடம் என்பதால் அதே வருடம் வெளியான சில படங்கள் எதிர்பார்த்த வெற்றியை பெறவில்லை. இருப்பினும் இந்த பாதகமான சூழ்நிலையிலும் வெளியான அனைத்து படங்களும் 50 நாட்களை கடந்தன.

2. இந்த வருடம் வெளியான படங்கள் - 7

வெள்ளி விழா படம் - 1

திரிசூலம்

100 நாட்களை கடந்து ஓடிய படங்கள் - 2

நான் வாழ வைப்பேன்

பட்டாகத்தி பைரவன் 

8. 10.08.1979 அன்று வெளியானது நான் வாழ வைப்பேன். நடிகர் திலகத்துடன் ரஜினி இணைந்த இரண்டாவது படம்.

9. மதுரை - ஸ்ரீதேவியில் 125 காட்சிகள் தொடர் அரங்கு நிறைந்த படம் - நான் வாழ வைப்பேன்.

[முதல் 35 நாட்களுக்கு அனைத்து காட்சிகளும் ஹவுஸ் புல்]

10. நான் வாழ வைப்பேன் 100 நாட்களை கடந்து ஓடிய அரங்குகள்

சென்னை -சித்ரா

மதுரை - ஸ்ரீதேவி

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR - Page 2 Empty Naan Vazha Vaipen

Post  ank Thu May 12, 2016 8:08 pm

I was in college when that movie was released.  Had a mediocre run.  I think they stretched it to get it to 100 days.  However, Rajni did outshine Sivaji in that role and was quite popular for the role.

The songs were very popular - Thirutheril, Agayam mele

ank

Back to top Go down

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR - Page 2 Empty Naan Vazha Vaipen

Post  ank Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Rajni's punch dialog in the movie was "I am Michael Desouza - a True Christen" (that's how he pronounced Christian  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ank

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 pm

ank wrote:Rajni's punch dialog in the movie was "I am Michael Desouza - a True Christen" (that's how he pronounced Christian  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't miss groucho's retro review (link in V_Sji's post above), it is a rotfl3

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Another unknown director who worked with Raja for only this film. No information about this director on the net. App ji already covered a song from this film (which has two versions) in Jency thread. Yes it is sonnathu neethaana? directed by C N Muthu. Vijayakumar, Jaiganesh & Sumithra in leading roles. Three beautiful songs; alangaara ponnoonjalE (MV & JC), veLLi nilaavinilE (by PJ) and YEngum deivam angE (by VJ). Surprisingly the whole film is in YT and I have bookmarked to watch it soon (especially for the score).

Since the third song is quite rare, I am including it here. What a beautiful song! Don't miss the gliding cellos, violins, flute, veena, guitar one after another and back (in first interlude) to indicate the hardships in her life one after another. Nicely sung by VJ. Excellent lines by Pulamai Piththan. Thanks to the uploader who uploaded this song. The song gives a sense of unbridled calmness.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Today we are going to see another Veteran Malayalam film director. He was spoken along the lines of great film directors like Padmarajan during 80s. He made some
stunning films during that time, causing a new compelling trend. He was an assistant director to Ramu Kariat for an iconic film; Nellu (debut film for Balu Mahendra as cinematographer). His memorable debut as director in Swapnadanam (1975) is still fresh in many movie fans memory. He has directed variety of films right from love to social subjects to comedies to politics and corruption. Even though he worked with various music directors; Devarajan master, Bhaskar Chandavarkar, Ouseppachan and upto Vidyasagar (in his last film), his most sought out music director was M.B.Sreenivasan. These two have given several immortal classics, especially during late 70s and early 80s.

He took are relatively easy route in his second film as he tasted big success in his debut. His one time association with Maestro is a surprise as he took a tamil film Policekaaran Magal and remade it as Vyamoham. Yes,we are talking about K.G. George. I have written about couple of songs from the movie in this thread. Poovaadikalil alayum, OrO poovum viriyum and neeyO njanO njano neeyO are pure gold. Vyamoham is such a classic. These kind of songs not just take me to a different world it will only make me remain there forever. So I always map these 3 compositions as equivalent to 3000 compositions. Maestro's compositions and its count is meaningless to me as each composition is not merely a composition and that's the reason it keeps hark'ing back to listen to same compositions again and again tirelessly.

You can listen to Vyamoham songs here:
http://www.devaragam.com/vbscript/MusicNew.aspx?MovieId=809

What caused him go back to others is only he can answer. His next venture with Devarajan master had beautiful songs too.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 pm

Suraangani suraangani suraanganikka maalu gennavaa was originally a Sinhalese Baila song (mostly popular among Afro-Srilankan groups), produced by A.E. Manoharan. It was one of the most sung (with different lyrics) and rehashed songs, especially during 70s and 80s. Maestro re-used this song in Avar enakkE sontham (1977), a film which was directed by Pattu, the only film he worked with Maestro. It is a good film and a subject very much belongs to that time, even now. The film has the biggest favorites and soulful dEvan thiruchchabai malargaLE & thEnil aadum rOja. One cannot forget the jubilant satire in kabhi kabhi mErE dil mE (With VKR on stage, it is outright hilarious) and the funky kuthiraiyilE naan amarnthEn by one and only TMS. One of the rare instances where the pallavi melody is way better than charaNam melody (even lyric-wise). oru veedu iru uLLam belong to that category. What a effortless rendition by SPB!

Again, no information about the director Neutral but thanks to him for giving Maestro such opportunity, so that we can relish these songs forever.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:14 pm

I came to know of R.C.Sakthi when I watched Chirai in 1984. Intriguing subject, most talked about that time. Only recently I came know that he was the one who directed Rajinikanth's Dharma Yuddham (1979). Everyone knows how the songs and score turned out for the film.

Wiki has some insights into his film career and how his long time film association with Kamalhaasan happened (both are from same town/village paramakudi). His films and subjects are quite interesting be it UnarchigaL, Chirai, Sparisam, KootuppuzhukkaL or Dharma Yuddham. While Dharma Yuddham does deviate quite a bit from the rest of his films in terms of story and the way he handled it, all his films have one thing in common. Great music. Without my knowledge I have listened to some great songs from this director without knowing these are the songs from his films. Who can forget the soft and delightful mazhai tharumO en mEgam by one and only SPB in manitharil eththanai nirangaLaa (1978) by Shyam? Shyam has given some wonderful songs especially in Malayalam in late 70s and 80s. Sparisam (1982) had some good numbers. malargaL paniyil by Deepan Chakravarthy and Vani Jayaram was on air those days regularly, composed by Ram Mohan Sharma. Ranjangam (1981) had the popular rOsa malare azhuvakkoodaathu kaNNeeru veenaguthu by KJY, composed by Shankar-Ganesh. Chirai had raasaathi rOsaappoovE by KJY & Vani Jayaram and naan paadikkondE irupEn, composed by MSV and koottup puzhukkaL had nitham nitham en kannOdu inbakkanaa by SPB composed beautifully by MSV in yaman kalyani. MSV adding swaras to the song.

After hearing the songs from other films, I am still not sure why he switched from Shyam to Raja and from Raja to Shankar-Ganesh, MSV and even to Ram Mohan Sharma (his only film?). Definitely all the films had beautiful moments in terms of few songs (not all), I can surely say, nothing in the league of Dharma Yuddham songs and score. Eons ahead of others. Still he kept on changing his music directors. I am not sure of the reasons about these switches, if it was a budget issue or he wanted to try everyone or was it because his films didn't do well, whatever, it requires some guts to ignore Raja in the 80s, let us appreciate that Smile

Last edited by V_S on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:53 pm

V_Sji,

Reg. R C Sakthi, he must have suffered major depression when his first movie with buddy KH was in cans for a long time. 

Interestingly, the "remake" of uNarchchigaL in Malayalam, rAsaleelA , got released AHEAD of the original and was a commercial success, ensuring good market for KH in MF field until he made it really big in TF field.

I'm not sure how RCC sustained himself in those years...

Even after directing such a massive hit movie as dharma yudhdham, I think he continued with his difficulties in the field.  This was possibly because he wanted to do only certain kind of movies and not the dharma yudhdham kinds, which was considered an aberration / didn't want to go back  - puli pasiththAlum oru thadavaikku mEl, i.e. "meeNdum meeNdum" pul thinnAdhu - policy Laughing 

That way, he possibly thought "Rajini / Sridevi / IR" are all commercial fellows and not his specialty kind Wink  It was possibly true with the other two as 80's progressed but IR was doing all kinds of movies. It is inexplicable that he didn't go back to IR!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:11 pm

app_engine wrote:puli pasiththAlum oru thadavaikku mEl, i.e. "meeNdum meeNdum" pul thinnAdhu - policy Laughing 
lol! rotfl3 rotfl4

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm

idayathil Or idam (1980) is another lesser known film by a lesser known or unknown director Prasad. No information about him or about the film. We might have heard this eternal classic; kaalangaL mazhaik kaalangaL sung by Malaysia aNNan and Janaki written by Kaviyarasar KaNNadaasan, but please don't miss other classics and you might wonder how much soulful music has been pushed by Maestro even in these obscure films.
http://tamiltunes.com/idhayathil-oru-idam.html

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 pm

I don't have 100% data evidence to confirm the director of this movie. Still I will rely on Anbu sir'spreadsheet and also few tamil internet site which mentions P.C.Reddy (P Chandrasekar Reddy) name against this film. The movie is another obscure one; oru iravu oru paravai (1981). Spreadsheet say it as a bilingual (tamil/telugu). In Telugu it was named as Kaaal Raathiri, but I could not find this film at all in internet nor this film with the director's name, hence the doubt. Please see here to get the list of films done by the director. He seems to be a veteran and did some beautiful films in early 70s.

Film sank without a trace, but it left some invaluable gems in the name of music. Kannadasan has written three songs and Gangai Amaran has written pOthum pOthum un vEsham. Three nice duets by SPB and P Susheela. It amuses me when they use ramaiyya, somaiyya kind in thamizh movies and when Kannadasan does tongue  , nevertheless nice songs. The cream is vaa naaLukku naaL, a sweet monster, I uploaded the song few years back.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 pm

Anbu sir confirmed with the EP image that Kaala Rathri is by P.C.Reddy. Many thanks to him. Here is the EP image.

Directors who worked for ONLY ONE FILM with IR - Page 2 Kaala_raathri

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:09 am

I am getting to know lot of people who worked with Maestro through this exercise. Through this I also get wonderful opportunities to listen to various other music directors' songs in addition to get (guess) some information about their interest in Maestro's works on what would have cause them to do so. This time again from Telugu industry. He started his film career in 60s by producing some evergreen classics. He even won a National award for one his films (as a producer). He directed few films during 70s and 80s. He is the father of Jagapathi Babu. You might know by now whom I am talking about.

V.B.Rajendra Prasad must be a big fan of 'Mama' K V Mahadevan, as most of his films bear his songs. Not to mention about the beautiful songs those films got. He directed only three tamizh films (as per Wiki), all three with NT Sivaji Ganesan, two again with KVM. As I said earlier, during late 70s when Maestro delivered annakkiLi and more, every director from the industry obviously wanted to have a glimpse of Maestro's work, as his name was often talked about. I believe this was the case with VB Rajendra Prasad too, so VBRP's third thamizh film came Maestro's way in the form of Pattakaththi Bhairavan (1979).

The name of the film sounds so harsh, but it has one of the gentlest evergreen melodies; engengO sellum, dEvathai oru dEvathai, yaarO neeyum naanum yaarO, a hilarious composition in varuvaai kaNNa neeraada and two stunning female duets in jil mAlish boot polish and nenjukuLLE singakkutti, which makes us to think that the film title is a misnomer. I don't have courage to watch the film, but I don't courage to leave the songs once I start to listen.

After this film (may be it bombed?), he didn't direct much except for a couple in 80s. Good that because of his one film with Maestro, even when we don't remember the film or even NT (for his acting), we cannot forget these songs. Mark of a genius.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:53 pm

We have so many Vijay's in film industry. Today we are going to talk about two Vijays who worked with Maestro. The first one is Vijay aka Vijay Reddy who is a veteran director in Kannada Film industry. His debut cam in 1970 and he worked for more than 3 decades since then. The best part (and also not so good part) was he worked with several music directors. The best part was because he got beautiful music for each of them starting with Rajan-Nagendra, G K Venkatesh, T G Lingappa, Ilaiyaraaja, Sathyam, Hamsalekha, but the not so good part was he kept on switching the music directors in such a fashion that it sometimes appears that it does not quite merit their efforts. How can one justify the switch after the sweet Srinavasa Kalyana or evergreen Sanadi Appanna (with Bismillah Khan) or after the divine Bhakta Prahalada or after soulful Nee Nanna Gellalare? He did use Rajan-Nagendra quite a bit, still I somehow feel the switches do not do any justification to the music directors.

As we know Nee Nanna Gellalare (1981) had four soulful melodies in jeeva hoovagide, anuraaga yEnaithu, nanna muddina, nanna neenu gellalare. May be Vijay wanted to peep what Raja has got, as he might have heard from other sources (may be from GKV) about this lad a lot. He might have even heard that it was Raja who recommended Raj Kumar to GKV to sing when GKV was looking for an alternative of PB Sreenivas (in Sampathige Savaal). Definitely all this would have interested Vijay. Everyone knew the result, but it was just like taking away the bowler out of the attack (forever) after he had taken multiple wickets in an over.

I am also quite confused about oru moodan kathai sonnaal song as I saw in youtube that it featured Raj Kumar and (Kannada) Manjula which we can clearly say it was an equivalent of anuraaga yEnaithu from the Kannada original. But if I see the cover of nenjil aadum poo ondru it has a different cast; Vijaykumar, Sarathbabu althogether which got me confused. Please do share if you have some authentic information about these two movies.

The other Vijay was the one who directed Karumbu Vil (1980). I don't have any information about this director, if you do please share. Meenkodi thEril and malargaLilE araathanai will reverberate till there is soul in the earth, thanks to the director.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 pm

I use to listen to Naan POtta Savaal (1980) songs even though not that that frequently, but time to time. Love all the songs. Most of us would have listened to sugam sugamE (Malaysia Vasudevan/Vani Jayaram), mayakkamaa oru thayakkamma (Vani Jayaram),nenjE un aasai enna (T L Maharajan), naattukkuLLE sila narigal irukkuthu (Malaysia Vasudevan), but there is one more rare song, sillarai thEvai ippO thEvai by Vani Jayaram and S P Shailaja. It has lot of funkiness in it. These are relatively less heard even among fans, but the beauty it can challenge the best songs of today and beat them right and left. No one has any clue how to use instruments these days, but hear how Maestro handles without any inhibition, and at the same time keeping the interest throughout with supreme flow. Wish we had good recording techniques those days.

Not much information about the director Puratchidasan. The film was dubbed into Telugu as well (ithE naa savaal). He penned all the songs in the movie.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 pm

Another obscure movie orE muththam (1980), directed by C.A. Mukilan. It has some fantastic songs. All songs written by Kaviyarasar Kannadasan.

paavayargaL maan pOlE - SPB, S Janaki. Reminds me of radio days on 80s.

Raja ponnu adi vaadiyamma - P Jayachandran. A nice folk melody with some exquisite flute phrases. There is also a pathos version of the same song.

aathangaraiyil oru rOja - P Jayachandran, P Susheela, chorus - A festival kind of song imbibed with love.
http://shakthi.fm/ta/album/show/467de5ff/s669da317

I know only Agilan, do you know Mukilan? Somehow I am feeling I am in a ghost territory chasing these obscure directors and their history  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 pm

His film career started with writing lyrics for the film ponnu oorukku puthusu (1979); sOlaikkuyilE kaalaikkathirE. He gave us some immortal gems like aagaya gangai (dharma yuddham), meekodi thEril (karumu vil), till he landed on the wrong foot as a director in Thai Pongal (1980).  The film didn’t take off much, but the songs he wrote and the music Maestro gave was outstanding. Starting with theerthakkarai thanilE, the film is abound with classics like kaN malargaLin azhaippithazh, thaanE sathiraadum and pani vizhum poo nilavil. Nothing to add against this one timer. He is none other than M.G. Vallabhan.

After this debacle, he went back to his home ground as lyricist and again gave some excellent songs in the form of naan paada (uthiruppookkaL), poomElE veesum poongatrE (echchil uravugaL), thendralidai thOranangaL (eeravizhi kaaviyangaL), mounamE nenjil naaLum (urangaatha ninaivugaL), kaalai nErak kaatrE vaazhthichchellu (bagavathipuram railway gate), arisi kuththum akkaa magaLE (man vaasanai), thendralO theeyO (raagangal maaruvathillai), kalyaanachchElai unathaagum vELai (ambigai nEril vanthaaL), poovE pani poovE (nilavu suduvathillai), unnai kaaNum nEram nenjam (unnai naan santhiththEn), mella mella ennaith thottu (vaazhkkai), ennOdu paattu paadungaL (udaya geetham) to name a few, most of them would find a sure place in our lyrics thread, maybe he got overshadowed by VM and others of that time.

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:54 pm

V_S ji, correct me if I am wrong. I think M.G. Vallabhan passed away long back?
With so many unforgettable melodies , every time on the radio they announced "pAdal M.G.Vallabhan", I knew what followed next and I used to wait with bated breath. The same was the case with "PAdal Panchu ArunAchalam ..." radio announcement .

inba thEn vandhu pAyumE kAdhinilE

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next