Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja

4 posters

Go down

Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja Empty Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 am

Dear All

A program titled 'Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja' is scheduled at Narada Gana Sabha Main Hall, Alwarpet, Chennai, on Tuesday, November 12, at 4.45 p.m. by Subashree Thanikachalam as part of the Bharat Sangeet Utsav 2013. An advertisement to this effect can be found in the last page (page 14) of today's METROPLUS.

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja Empty Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja

Post  Thirukovur Balaji Prasad Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 pm

The 800-odd rasikas were in for a 90-minute treat as the proceedings started with Jagadanandakaraka (Thyagaraja's pancharatna krithi in Nattai). As the swaras were getting embellished one after the other, Chalanattai announced its arrival in the form of Raja's Panivizhum Malarvanam (Ninaivellam Nithya). A Tamizh couplet specially written for the occasion bearing the name of Ilaiyaraja was sandwiched with Panivizhum. Then came Naadam Ezhuntadadhi (Gopura Vasalile) with its inspiration from Marubalka (Sriranjani). After touching upon the aspect of graha bedham, Sangeethame En Deivame (Kovil Pura) was performed and the transition from C sharp (Rasikapriya) to C (Mayamalavagowla at the phrase Maalaiyil Deepangal) was mentioned. The name of Bilahari invoked many minds to mention Nee Ondru Thaana Sangeetham (Unnal Mudiyum Thambi), but it was the Kannadasan-penned gem Koonthalile (Bala Nagamma) that took centre stage instead with Thyagaraja swami's Kanukontini Sri Ramuni. Mention was made as to how the initial phrases (and the genius of Raja in employing this) themselves capture the essence of Bilahari.

Todi announced its grand entry in the form of Gangai Karai (Varusham 16) with captivating swaras played by the violinist and the vocalist (Niranjan) was simply perfect. Thyagaraja's Keeravani krithi Kaligiyunte Kadha found companions in Raja's Keeravani (Paadum Paravaigal), Kaatril Endhan Geetham (Jhonny), Povoma Oorkolam (Chinna Thambi), and Malaiyoram Veesum (Paadu Nilave). Another graha bedham crept followed by the rendition of Kalaivaniye in Kalyani raga (Sindhu Bhairavi). Thendral Vandhu (Thendrale Ennai Thodu) entered wedlock with Bantureethi (Hamsanadam) and everything was placed at the lotus feet of the Lord in the form of Adamodi Galade and Aadal Kalaiye (Sri Raghavendrar) in Charukesi...

The entire show was presented with remarkable aplomb by Subashree Thanikachalam. The team included Chitraveena Ganesh (Carnatic vocal), Saindhavi Prakash (female vocal), Padma Shankar (violin), Niranjan Krishna and Santosh Subramaniam (vocals), Shivaraman (mrudhangam), KV Gopalakrishnan (kanjira), and Venkat (tabla and percussion).

Subashree quizzed (each carrying a prize of Rs 500) the audience on two of Raja's compositions in Vakulabharanam. The audience failed to answer and she mentioned only Bitchai Paathiram (Naan Kadavul) as an example. Kuntalavarali too failed to get any prize and she mentioned Azhage Nee (Enga Ooru Paattukkaaran). She quizzed on the raga Srotaswini and bang came the reply in the form of Sindhiya Venmani, O Vasantha Raja, and Poojaiketha Poovidhu. She also asked to mention any 3 songs set to Rupaka talam alone and only Aagaaya Vennilaave was mentioned.

It was indeed a very memorable evening and everybody came out satisfied from the venue. I think the proceedings might be released sooner or later on audio and video formats by Carnatica (the music label and one of the sponsors). Finally, I request you to forgive me for any errors in describing the event as I have very limited knowledge.

Yours musically
Balaji Prasad

Thirukovur Balaji Prasad

Back to top Go down

Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja Empty Re: Thyagaraja and Ilaiyaraja

Post  V_S Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks Balaji for the great write-up on the event. Great to hear you witnessed this rare event. Was this event recorded? Any links to view?

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:06 pm

mikka nanRi Balaji Prasad for sharing details of the wonderful event!

Hopefully, we'll get more details on the web...(sound clips / youtubes etc)...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks Balaji Prasad for the writeup.
I wish this is made available in video format. I know that Subha has a youtube channel but you seem to mention some other media company.  This will be a great learning for Carnatic dummies like me.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down