Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking next gen MD's into account...

+17
rajkumarc
Bala (Karthik)
Wizzy
plum
ravinat
rajaclan
isaifan
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
Usha
kiru
V_S
vicks
sagi
crimson king
fring151
app_engine
21 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 3 Empty Re: Taking next gen MD's into account...

Post  isaifan Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 am

crimson king wrote:Adiye chords sound a lot like Supertramp's Ain't Nobody But Home.  
https://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1oQodRJx4

And the melody has definite shades of Stevie Wonder's Maybe Your Baby.  
https://www.youtube.com/v/pM5SVMSB3HQ

I am not saying he copied from them but it's ironic that the so called new gospel music that they would have  us believe Kadal is, is little more than a homage to two of the most popular 70s artists, and two of their most popular tunes too.
"It's not a copy, but well, he seems to have taken ideas from these songs,"

Wrote this in May about Kadal's Adiye after coming to know about it in the old hub:

Shocked  Good find. AdiyE ippidi-ya? Surprised it is not just the music, but even the tune and harmony parts sound very similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zLVdrgd8w_s

If this is not a copy, then I am affraid

isaifan

Back to top Go down

Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 3 Empty Re: Taking next gen MD's into account...

Post  fring151 Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 am

Nerd wrote:What's forum without a little fun? So I vote 'for'.
thumbsup 

Nerd wrote:Have you guys listened to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqF-K-uBN0

Thambi, when squeezed by good directors can really bring out some super stuff, I am confident Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Decent stuff that Yuddham sei song. Never heard of the guy. If only these people had the chance to work outside cinema... Top 5  Imman songs anyone? Need to check him out. Also, top 5 GVP? Smile  That's a serious question btw, regardless of my previous posts. Top 5 in terms of quality and/or popularity. If Maalai neram is there in the list, so be it Neutral . I know I can't possibly ask for top 5 Ani.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am

fring151 wrote:Decent stuff that Yuddham sei song. Never heard of the guy. If only these people had the chance to work outside cinema... Top 5  Imman songs anyone? Need to check him out. Also, top 5 GVP? Smile  That's a serious question btw, regardless of my previous posts. Top 5 in terms of quality and/or popularity. If Maalai neram is there in the list, so be it Neutral . I know I can't possibly ask for top 5 Ani.
Imman, try Azhagiya Asura, songs from Kumki and Ammadi Ayyodi song from Desingu Raja. GVP, well try Pookkal Pookkum Tharunam, songs from Veyyil.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:43 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:
fring151 wrote:Decent stuff that Yuddham sei song. Never heard of the guy. If only these people had the chance to work outside cinema... Top 5  Imman songs anyone? Need to check him out. Also, top 5 GVP? Smile  That's a serious question btw, regardless of my previous posts. Top 5 in terms of quality and/or popularity. If Maalai neram is there in the list, so be it Neutral . I know I can't possibly ask for top 5 Ani.
Imman, try Azhagiya Asura, songs from Kumki and Ammadi Ayyodi song from Desingu Raja. GVP, well try Pookkal Pookkum Tharunam, songs from Veyyil.
Thanks Munk Smile 
Turns out I have actually heard Veyyil songs when they came out as I was in Chennai then and they were all over the place, but I never bothered to find out who the MD was. Anyway, Uruguthey maruguthey is a genuinely good song, others in the movie range from so-so to meh. Pookkal pookkum tharunam is also good. So presumably this turn for the worse by GVP took place later.

Will check out the Imman songs soon...

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 am

fring151 wrote:So presumably this turn for the worse by GVP took place later.
Wouldn't irritate me personally so much if it were not for such nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703VoWDk4HM#t=2m57s

Says IR did it for Ramar Aanaalum Babar Aanaalum and he did it for Ummele Aasa Dhaan and goes on to blow his own trumpet.

Two points.

1. IR did it for all songs in Hey Ram. Including Nee Paartha Paarvai where Kamal had the video for playing the piano upon with IR had to compose, syncing the video with his composition. GVP reduces IR's effort, magnifies his effort himself.
2. We know IR did it because Kamal told it to us saying IR explicitly told him not to make it public. So much for his arrogance. I have seen a youtube video where IR directs Ajoy singing Isaiyil as the video plays on the screen. Explicit proof in addition to Kamal's words. We have no proof for GVP having done that. We can give him the benefit of the doubt there. But it is amusing to see him blowing his own trumpet so shamelessly saying what he did was very difficult to achieve and Andrea supporting him too. Mudiyala ennaala.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:10 pm

isaifan wrote:
crimson king wrote:Adiye chords sound a lot like Supertramp's Ain't Nobody But Home.  
https://www.youtube.com/v/rJ1oQodRJx4

And the melody has definite shades of Stevie Wonder's Maybe Your Baby.  
https://www.youtube.com/v/pM5SVMSB3HQ

I am not saying he copied from them but it's ironic that the so called new gospel music that they would have  us believe Kadal is, is little more than a homage to two of the most popular 70s artists, and two of their most popular tunes too.
"It's not a copy, but well, he seems to have taken ideas from these songs,"

Wrote this in May about Kadal's Adiye after coming to know about it in the old hub:

Shocked  Good find. AdiyE ippidi-ya? Surprised it is not just the music, but even the tune and harmony parts sound very similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zLVdrgd8w_s

If this is not a copy, then I am affraid
First off, I never said it cannot be a copy of ANY song at all, I commented specifically on the two songs I had linked, saying that Adiye is not a copy of them but is very similar.

Coming to the song you have linked here, you have said it yourself: "sounds very similar".   If I personally have to call a song a copy of another (which implies plagiarism and is a pretty serious thing to say about a composer), then either the melody or the chords need to be identical.  If the first line of melody is identical and thereafter the song develops in a different direction, I would still consider it a copy, but at least that.   So, no, I don't think Adiye is a COPY of that song.  If it were, then blues people would have had a hard time making music because a lot of their riffs/chords sound very similar a lot of times.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Nerd wrote:What's forum without a little fun? So I vote 'for'.

Have you guys listened to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqF-K-uBN0

Thambi, when squeezed by good directors can really bring out some super stuff, I am confident Very Happy
Very nice song...very interesting harmony.  Very tasteful orchestration too. If not for the somewhat awkward vocals, I would have probably liked the song even more.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks to this thread, I have been revisiting some of Vidyasagar's songs and listened to this one after probably 4-5 years. I loved the melody back then and it 'still' sounds fresh. Experts - Is it Hamsanandi? Seems like it to me.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Latest superhit song in TN. GV Pragaas padaippu. If this is the state of rasanai, I have nothing to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTC3QPm-aU
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Drunkenmunk wrote: If this is the state of rasanai
I'm of the opinion that despite all campaigns / attacks etc, people'll still be singing 'paruvamE pudhiya pAdal pAdu' & 'manRam vandha thenRalukku' after another 20 years Smile

Meanwhile, let these "minminees" enjoy their 2 weeks of glory Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:Latest superhit song in TN. GV Pragaas padaippu. If this is the state of rasanai, I have nothing to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTC3QPm-aU
Adhaan Raja soltAre intryula

"youthu innikku kanda kadiyathalaam kekudhu, nAlaikku vuttrudhungle. Oru vArathukku apram andha pAttu kAnume. One week kEkkudhu..apram enna youthu?"
"Idhukku namma adjust panni poganumena? Idhu enna trafficA adjust panni pogarthukku"

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

Woah woah Ani seems to have done a genuinely good job with the Vanakkam Chenai bgm. Check out the jazz piece from 15:00 onwards! Thambi unmayiliye thiramasAliyo??

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:34 am

Youtube comentsum padikkavum. BadA thamAs.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm

OK, that sounds authentically jazz.  But at the same time, he doesn't seem to have developed the mode further.  Sometimes there may be not scope for that in a BGM, granted, but it still sounds like arranging stuff according to predefined genre expectations without much individuality.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Right, all I am suggesting is perhaps he is not the Bieber of India that we thought (think) he is? OTOH, who know who arranged or orchestrated that jazz piece and the strings, it might even be Prabhakar (IR's violinist) since I believe he arranges and orchestrates for other MDs.

Hear the piano- strings arrangement from 19:45 onwards. Not to read a book by its cover, but andha moonjiya pAtha idha mAdhiri arrangementlAm ezhudhra moonji mAdhiri illayE scratch . If it is, then I eat humble pie. Maybe he is really studying music and consciously improving and attempting to be more experimental than Chennai gangsta and Hip hop thamizhA.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 am

Oh I didn't know that there is a theory that he is the Bieber of India.  From Mundru onwards, I have been struck by the lack of originality in his work.  Kolaveri was his big break and it has created the impression of him being an irreverent, fresh music director which is not really reflected in his other songs.  I also find the idea of putting up score sheets on twitter both annoying and hilarious.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 am

crimson king wrote:Oh I didn't know that there is a theory that he is the Bieber of India.  From Mundru onwards, I have been struck by the lack of originality in his work.  Kolaveri was his big break and it has created the impression of him being an irreverent, fresh music director which is not really reflected in his other songs.  I also find the idea of putting up score sheets on twitter both annoying and hilarious.
Er..Empty score sheets to be more precise. He also signs off with 'Love' after these momentous status updates which seems to have led many youth to crown him the next ARR.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:13 am

Imman & Anirudh hoping to get hit songs with Vijay

தற்போது விஜய் நடித்துவரும் 'ஜில்லா' படத்திற்கு இசையமைத்து வருகிறார் இமான். அப்படத்திற்காக விஜய் பாட மெலடி பாடல் ஒன்றை பதிவு செய்திருக்கிறார். இப்பாடலை விஜய்யுடன் இணைந்து பாடியிருக்கிறார் பாடகி ஸ்ரேயா கோஷல்.
குத்துப் பாடல் போல அல்லாமல், முழுக்க விஜய்யின் மென்மையான குரலில் இடம்பெறுவது போன்று பாடலுக்கு இசையமைத்திருக்கிறாராம் இமான்.
விஜய் நடிப்பில் அடுத்து தயாராக இருக்கும் ஏ.ஆர்.முருகதாஸ் படத்திலும் விஜய் பாட இருக்கிறார். அப்படத்திற்கு இசையமைக்க இருக்கும் அனிருத், இப்போதே 'Why this Kolavaeri di' இசை போன்று ஒரு துள்ளலான இசையை தயார் செய்திருக்கிறார்.

அப்படம் துவங்கும் போது, பாடலை விஜய்யை பாடவைக்க வேண்டும் என்று திட்டமிட்டு இருக்கிறார். 'Why this Kolaveri Di' பாடலை எப்படி உலகமெங்கும் பிரபலமோ அதைப் போன்று இப்பாடல் பிரபலமடைய வேண்டும் என்ற முனைப்பில் இருக்கிறாராம் அனிருத்.
ayyO pAvam Dhanush...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 3 Empty Amit Trivedi / Ram Sampath

Post  rajaclan Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:20 am

i havent listened to many numbers of Amit or Ram but they seem to getting very good reviews even among ARR fans. I think Amit is one of the guys in the HF industry who does his own background score for the movies. Any opinions on these two guys?

rajaclan

Back to top Go down

Post  ravinat Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:16 am

I just got caught up with this thread and may be late to the party.

Among the folks who started off after Raja, I like Vidyasagar the most. l You must hear some of his 90s/early 200x Malayalam tunes. Let me know and I will post some of his melodious tracks here. However, he lacks consistency. He also lacks a stamp outside of his stupid kuthu songs.

On a serious note, all these new MDs have to take some serious responsibility on the quality of output they produce. All of them will give you stupid commercial excuses. Raja had the same pressures that these guys faced. However, he always produced some lilting ICM melodies that have stood the test of time. The new singers of today can be molded though they are not the SPB, KJY, SJ or KSC. However, how many of these MDs are making an attempt? As an example, Shwetha Mohan is a good singer. How many of these MDs have the ability to use her talent? Madhu Balakrishnan - how many of these folks (barring some attempts by Vidyasagar) are able to use him or Sriram P?

Till any of these new MDs take on the challenge of raising the bar of their music content and challenge their singers, their music will be forgotten. They cannot blame anyone other than themselves.

ravinat

http://geniusraja.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Any reviews on Anirudh's BSO-supported score for 2Am ulagam?
(Saw a brief youtube where the MD introduces the score, shows BSO etc, quite unimpressive..."namma kooda ippadi score paNNa mudiyumE"nnu thONRa aLavukkuththAn irukku)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Link from twitter:
http://therealjamesvasanthan.blogspot.in/

All these big preachers know that James Vasanthan is leading an immoral life; but still they keep a deaf ear to it. None of them even took a step to correct him.
James Vasanthan also releases Christian Musical albums and many Christians buy that album. He is also a famous music director in the cinema Industry. His anchoring skills are great and he is loved by the common public. He has taken this as an advantage and has not only cheated his wife, he has cheated his two children and has failed to do his duties as a father; he has cheated the court of law and also the entire Tamil fans who love his music and who stood by him believing him.

Will his wife Suganthi get justice?

One has to wait and see...

And this fellow advises rAsA to be pleasant to the crowd!
Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:38 pm

On this topic, a fight between fellow forumer mayilsk and myself on twitter:
https://twitter.com/nom_d_plum/status/430375567347556352

Ani vs Dim Man!

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:50 am

JV & wife is now a police case, no longer just a blog thingy

பிரபல இசையமைப்பாளர் ஜேம்ஸ் வசந்தன் மீது அவரது மனைவி போலீசில் புகார் கொடுத்துள்ளார்

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:46 am

also the entire Tamil fans who love his music and who stood by him believing him.
 Laughing yaaruba evanga..may be this is real Rev. James writing this to garner some eyeballs
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum