Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking next gen MD's into account...

+17
rajkumarc
Bala (Karthik)
Wizzy
plum
ravinat
rajaclan
isaifan
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
Usha
kiru
V_S
vicks
sagi
crimson king
fring151
app_engine
21 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 5 Empty Re: Taking next gen MD's into account...

Post  rajkumarc Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:27 am

Anyone listened to Cuckoo here? There seems to be much hype around it not sure if it's that good. Will listen to Thegidi soon.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Taking next gen MD's into account... - Page 5 Empty Re: Taking next gen MD's into account...

Post  fring151 Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 am

Bala (Karthik) wrote:Thegidi album. Promising debut by Nivas Prasanna. Mafioso should check out

Thanks B(K). This is exciting stuff considering the year is 2014. One listen to all 3 and pleasantly surprised. Let's see if the songs stand up to further scrutiny.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 am

Actually I quite like these songs.  Smile . Fresh arrangements, all good melodies. Good singing by Satya Prakash, Shankar Mahadevan et.al. Happy that SP's skill is being put to good use. Other mafioso, check out too. Yaar ezhudiyadho has a pretty funky bassline in some portions.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Melodies are pleasing but don't really surprise much.  But very tasteful arrangements, nice basslines.  A promising start indeed.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Cuckoo - Listened to only one song (Because of the Ilayaraja line in the lyrics). Neat song. Very earnest. But that guy is promising indeed. Hope the youth get past the Anirudhs and GVPs to listen to him.

Thegidi - One song they play on TV often (Satyaprakash song?) easy on the ears. But why did I think it was Harris Jeyaraj's initially?  Embarassed

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Thegidi - One song they play on TV often (Satyaprakash song?) easy on the ears. But why did I think it was Harris Jeyaraj's initially?  Embarassed[/quote]

S. indha padathu pattai ellam kaetadhum. en paiyan kite sonna comment idhu dhan.. Harris  Jeyaraj style ai nyabaga padutharadhu nu............

Last edited by Usha on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Nerd wrote:

Thegidi - One song they play on TV often (Satyaprakash song?) easy on the ears. But why did I think it was Harris Jeyaraj's initially?  Embarassed

Did remind me too of HJ.  It was my least 'favourite' of the three I heard.  Maybe it is also nata bhairavi?

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks to Bala (Karthik) for pointing to Thegidi. Absolutely gobsmacked by the Shankar Mahadevan song Needhaane. The rawness of Sindhu Bairavi with some outstanding bass guitar, chords and drum work making for one hell of a song. Wow! ippidi iLam isai amaippALargaL'tErndhu kEttu evvaLO nAL Achchu!! Yaar Ezhudhiyadho is good too (nice bass work again).
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:38 pm

crimson king wrote:
Nerd wrote:

Did remind me too of HJ.  It was my least 'favourite' of the three I heard.  Maybe it is also nata bhairavi?

endha paatai kaekareenga.. Nata bhairavi yanu.

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 pm

The first one in Bala Karthik's comment.  Yaar Ezuthiyatho.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

I listened only to yaar ezhuthiyatho. Nicely packaged song. Only complaint is they composed only 4 to 5 lines of melody and extended it to 4 minutes. There is no charaNam at all in the song. Just when he completed singing pallavi (two times) it already consumed more than 2 minutes. After a brief interlude I thought charaNam is starting, but the melody falls in the same line as pallavi/anu-pallavi. Even the interlude is an extension of the melody. These are the things I am really concerned about. Nice singing, great bass tracks etc, but they somehow fall short in coming with a full length melody or inspiring interludes. May be generation gap is taking a toll on me Smile

Last edited by V_S on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Don't you know, everything goes on feel now Razz...pallavi-charanam has been done so many times.  It's er, just 'film music', delivered in the appropriate level of condescension a la the great Oscar winner A R Rahman.  India needs to be more 'international'.

Anyway, you should listen to the third track.  That's the one I really liked.  The interlude is a real workout.  It's a ripper.  But please don't compare it to Raja, then you are bound to be disappointed.  Evil or Very Mad

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:02 pm

I know, but it is hard to take Raja away from me, however I try, because that's the benchmark through which I always listen, that's why I told generation gap Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 pm

V_S,
ungala pola than nanum.. endha pudhu paatu kaetalum.. Raja vudan compare pannuven. en 23 vayasu paiyan
kite thittu vanguven... Very Happy 

konja naal munnadi sonnan. amma .. unga Raja.. Lion madhiiri.. mathadhu ellam Mouse madhiri nu............ Razz 

. avanukum pudhu paatu ellam romba pidikalai.. Raja songs and yuvan songs dhan avan choice.

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm

crimson king wrote:The first one in Bala Karthik's comment.  Yaar Ezuthiyatho.

ck,
suttum vizhi sudare.. madhiiri iruku.. Becoz of the Beats. Nata bhairavi madhiiri dhan thonaradhu..........

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bala (Karthik) Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, the reggae based first interlude la piriyumbodhu nalla irukkum. Liked the thaalakkattu. 

Vinmeen also has a nice melody throughout, with a naturally progressing charanam. Chords in the charanam, sounds simple but works nicely

Bala (Karthik)

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:08 am

Yes, the songs develop in a cogent manner and there are no annoying frills or 'bits' and 'pieces' haphazardly strung together. Melodies are pretty straight, i.e no twists or scale changes, but I can certainly live with that. To those who mistook "Yaar ezhudhiyadho" to be a Harris song, let me assure you Harris is thrilled to hear that.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:29 am

Thegidi sounds fresh especially the arrangements and I like the melody in the tunes as well. These songs are way better than the recent chart busters like Oodha Kalar Ribbon and Boomi Enna Suthudhe.

Neethane is my pick - has darker shades, fantastic drum and guitar work and to top it all that killer interlude. There is one more female solo (Neeyum Dhinam) which also has a similar darker tone and I like that one as well. Vinmeen & Yaar Ezhudiyadho are sweet on the ears too. Haven't listened to any new non-IR albums that are instantly likeable as this one. A really wonderful debut by Nivas Prasanna.

Nerd - Thanks for the info on Cuckoo. Did Santhosh Narayanan score for Soodhu Kavvum as well? I liked some of the BGM scores in that movie.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:06 am

I hope he continues experimenting and doesn't fizzle out or dumb down like most other promising young MDs of the last decade.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Mighty impressed with kaNNukkuL poththivaippEn (ThirumaNam ennum Nikkah). Never been so overwhelmed by the current music directors. This raagam Mukhari is very rarely used in tamil film music. The last one I believe was from Viswanathan-Ramamurthy, if I am not wrong. I don't remember listening to any IR song/BGM in this raagam, please correct me, if I am wrong. The way Gibran (I hope it is truly composed by him) handled this raagam exceeded all my expectations. Where is vaada malarE thamizh thEnE (Ambikapathy - G Ramanathan) and this one? A modern approach to the raagam not just in terms of melody, even the arrangements, too good. In 4:49 minutes, he has not cut short the song to one charaNam. Full blown song. Way to go! Beautiful singing, every one, especially Charulatha Mani. Many thanks to @kaarthikarul who introduced this song to me. What a song!

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:36 pm

vijay,
 indha paatai.. raagam thread la post seidhu irundhen... andha link il.. Charu latha avangaloda comment irundhadhu. ipodhu adhai kanom................. adhil avanga ragam patri solli irupanga..........

Gibran.  Charulatha mani  told  about the raagam of the song.

Charulatha Mani2 weeks ago

My pleasure to have sung this song, thanks to composer Ghibran! Ragas Mukhari and Hamirkalyani/Kedar are woven into the piece, making it a delectable melody.

Sandhoshamana Mukari........... IR sonnadhu pola.. Ragathuku  endru Feelings ilali dhan pol iruku.......... Anyway very NIce to hear............ vishayam therinja MD...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGTG9n1tGnk

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks Usha ji. Sorry to have missed your post Embarassed  I didn't get to read Charulatha's comments. But this song is a beauty. applause

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 am

V_S wrote:Thanks Usha ji. Sorry to have missed your post Embarassed  I didn't get to read Charulatha's comments. But this song is a beauty. applause

amam V_S.. romba azhagana jalatharangam.. azhagana flute notes. Really Sweet number..............

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:18 pm

IR Flood il... adhigam uliramal pona GA.. as a MD........

Naalu vagai poovil.... NIce one.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCzOsaXZ6po

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks for the Thegidi reco. Very impressive stuff. Loved the guitar & bass work in Yaar ezhudhiyadho & Vinmeen vithayil. Didn't like SangarmagadEvan's song (his singing and me already vaaikathagaraaru) all that much but the guitar leads in the interludes are total killer stuff. payyan nalla varuvaan.

Haven't heard much of Cuckoo yet but aagastha naan paakurEn is beautifully constructed; instantly likeable. The violins in the background remind me of some WCM piece that I'm not able to put my finger on (either from some hollywood movie's score or some classic piece); experts pls clarify!
Jigarthanda is another new release of this MD, by the way.

I know Imman doesn't command much respect here but I was impressed with these two melodies from his 2013 work. One's 'edhukkaaga enna neeyum' from Rummy that's based on malayamArutham (I think). Raaja's influence is unmistakable in this one. The orchestration's pretty good but the singers are inadequate, especially the male vocalist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYnT72ft-M
The other's ammadi ammadi from dEsingu raaja. Pure deivakuzhandhai magic. This making-of video is worth watching just for her - the emotions, podi sangadhis, the vocal 'dynamics'... ppaah! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQskosBogo
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum