Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raja's New Albums

+49
Kr
BC
app_engine
crimson king
raagakann
ank
ravinat
counterpoint
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Manoj Raj
AbhiMusiq
raghuCA
Sakalakala Vallavar
Usha
panniapurathar
irfan123
sheepChase
suresh2
rajaclan
Shank
vicks
baroque
MH
Balu
Drunkenmunk
irir123
crvenky
Punnaimaran
writeface
mythila
Sanjeevi
rajkumarc
isaifan
fring151
jaiganesh
layman10
kiru
MumbaiRamki
sagi
skr
SenthilVinu
Bala (Karthik)
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
plum
V_S
Raaga_Suresh
53 posters

Page 6 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 43  Next

Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 6 Empty Re: Raja's New Albums

Post  jaiganesh Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Sanjeevi wrote:
jaiganesh wrote:nandri solla vendum needs more exposition.. it is sinking in slowly - opening newer doors with every listen..
As far as 'kaalayile' - the pallavi is "pallaanguzhiyin vattam' from 'aanandham' - but maestro diverts it into 'meettadha oru veenai' territory and
drives it again into 'kekkaliyo' territory and back - no wonder singer had so much trouble comprehending it..

You mean Kolakkiliye or kekkaliyo?. Because I found Kalaiyile maalai vanthathu has many similarities with kolakkiliye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6bHlYmjsT0

the "kekkaliyo" phase is in the charanam around 1:40 to 1: 50 (it is the culmination).. The kolakkiliye shade is there in the pallavi too. same raaga maybe. not surprising coming from the man who used 3 raagas in each and every charanam of 'kaadhal oviyam' song..

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 am

Another one releasing today. Naadi Thudikkuthadi cool3 Wonderful picture of thalaivar!
Raja's New Albums - Page 6 BK_U-xECQAELhNW

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 24, 2013 7:08 am

Nandri Solla Vendum Nalla NaaLilE. I am bitten by this beauty so hard that I may not come out of it soon. Hamsadwani at its very best. Very auspicious and a divine raagam attributed to God Ganapathy, normally sung as a starting krithi in concerts, which brings brightness wherever it is heard. The flute, violins, bass, bell sounds in the prelude fill the air with divinity. Priyadarshini starts the song very well. Mridangam sounds loud and clear and gives an unconventional rhythm pattern which Maestro always enjoys exploring more and more. Already Maestro's magic has started. Pallavi is superb with great lyrics, while the lyrics in anu-pallavi could have been better (thirudanayE pidichirukku puthu dhinusa ithu irukku, koottal kanakku purinchiruchu pOtti pOda therinchiruchu, onnum onnum rendaachu rendum sErnthu onnaachu) as these colloquial words does not sync with pure words of pallavi, nevertheless the tune is just amazing. I love the way pallavi ends for the interlude to start; thumbamaana inbam thodara vEndumE (nice line there!) with vEndumE extends to enhance the sweetness to the maximum extent possible. That's Raja's signature.

I could not believe how Maestro is orchestrating in this much grand scale with just synth-driven violins, flute and veena. We used to hear some new sounds from synth which is normal, but we can hear some live instruments (especially string and wind instruments) on synth is only through Raja. I think mridangam is real one, please correct me. The ambience it gives is to be felt, cannot be explained. I have never heard such type of grand indian classical-based orchestration with synth alone from anyone else. Holy cow! Maestro is proving again and again that, 'Manam irunthaal maargabandhu'. Smile In second interlude he changes the color by changing from mridangam to synth drums. He also adds piano along with violins and flute. Wow! Maestro does not shy away as he knows how to tame even the dangerous beast. Definitely with live instruments the effect would have been much better, but this is no way inferior given the budget constraints. The experience is undiminished and unmatched.

The charanam melody takes it way higher with the sweetness quotient. Flute filling the first two lines; enathu vizhiyilE oru puthiya dharisanam, enathu manathilE oru mazhalai kuyilvanam. Then comes the helluva of a line construction; 'manathu paravai siragil oLintha ragasiyam thirantha veLiyil virinthu parakkuthE' and 'idhaya vayalil vithaitha kuruvai muLai vida amudha mazhaikku kidanthu thavikkuthE' unbelievable construction there, bloody hell. How did he do that? noteworthy How the words fit this lengthier line like a 'T' is another highlight. Kudos to Pazhani Bharathi. Maestro still adds more sweetness in the next two lines; thoongidaatha kaNNOram thEn theLikkum soppanaNgaL, poo nilaavum raathiriyum nammakkaLikkum arpanangaL (taming the beast before going for the kill). Then the rapid fire, 'asaiyum nilayum thudikkum isayum idhayam unakkuL paravi thudikkuthE' (my God!). Like a fastest ACE. Once it is smashed and delivered, there is silence for a fraction of second before we hear the claps that's when he starts again with 'nandri solla vEndum' slowly and casually as if he is getting ready for the next serve. Implausible audacity!

Excellent singing by Karthik and Priyadarshini presenting the bright mood throughout. This is what I call open and clean singing, no hesitation, no inhibition, no pushing of air. At few places some words of Priyadarshini were not heard properly. She tries to contract few words. For example when she sings 'raathiriyum', she sings 'rathiriyum'. Same way I heard 'koottal' as 'total'. Other than almost flawless singing by her, Karthik was brilliant. When they sing the repeat pallavi at the end, we can hear a beautiful harmony from violins.

This composition is complete and full blown one. Maestro has not shortened the interludes just because he has only synth to work with. He didn't compromise at all which is a very rare phenomenon to see especially at this age. What a journey this has been with Raja's Hamsadwani!. Starting from malargaLE naadharswarangaL mangala thEril maNakkOlam varNa jaalam vaanilE, mayilE mayilE un thOgai engE, thEr kondu sendravan, poo mudithu pottu vaitha vatta nila, athO mEgha oorvalam, chinna kaNmaNikkuLLE vantha chella kaNNanE, kaNNai padiththEn vinnai padhiththEn, this has been a great journey from days to months to years to decades by Maestro enhancing the beauty of the raagam with every outing. Every song has it own shine, color, richness, beauty and most of all, has the soul. When combined with magical orchestration it only grows beyond anybody's imagination. It is very very difficult to bring a unique flavor of the raagam every time and he has done it effortlessly. This is applicable to every song in this soundtrack. To bring the melody of this highest calibre and quality, it is highly impossible even for fresh music directors, leave alone the experienced. There is novelty in every line even while retaining the same raagam (which he has used many times already). Isn't it amazing? Isn't it a brilliant answer from Maestro on how we have our rich tradition of music still left to ponder while we are aimlessly looking to parasite. The highlight is, there is no end to this journey as these compositions will continue to find new music lovers even as generation passes by. Only thing which worries me is nowadays good songs like this are not getting their due attention and popular like those days. We should feel lucky to have listened to these invaluable compositions which others don't get to hear. Thank you Maestro for this wonderful gift!

Last edited by V_S on Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 24, 2013 7:10 am

Lyrics by Pazhani Bharathi. Please correct me if there are any mistakes. I have doubts on couple of words:

நன்றி சொல்ல வேண்டும் நல்ல நாளிலே (2)
துன்பமான இன்பம் தொடர வேண்டுமே 
திருடனையே பிடிச்சிருக்கு புது தினுசா இது இருக்கு 
கூட்டல் கணக்கு புரிஞ்சிருச்சு போட்டி போட தெரிஞ்சிருச்சு 
ஒன்னும் ஒன்னும் ரெண்டாச்சு ரெண்டும் சேர்ந்து ஒன்னாச்சு 

எனது விழியிலே ஒரு புதிய தரிசனம் 
எனது மனதிலே ஒரு மழலை குயில்வனம் 
மனது பறவை சிறகில் ஒளிந்த ரகசியம் திறந்த வெளியில் விரிந்து பறக்குதே 
இதய வயலில் விதைத்த குறுவை முளைவிட அமுத மழைக்கு கிடந்தது தவிக்குதே 
தூங்கிடாத கண்ணோரம் தேன் தெளிக்கும் சொப்பனங்கள் 
பூ நிலாவும் ராத்திரியும் நமக்களிக்கும் அற்பனங்கள் 
அசையும் நிலையும் துடிக்கும் இசையும் இதயம் உனக்குள் பரவி துடிக்குதே 

நன்றி சொல்ல வேண்டும் நல்ல நாளிலே

கவிதை மொழியிலே மனம் கதைகள் படித்திடும் 
இடையின் வளைவிலே விரல் எழுதி பழகிடும்
அளவு கடந்து அணைகள் உடைந்து வழிவிடும் அலைகள் எனக்குள் எனக்குள் மிதக்குதே 
இணைந்து இணைந்து பறந்து திரியும் பறவைகள் சிறகை திறந்து எனக்குள் விரிக்குதே 
வாங்கிடாத உள் மூச்சு உன்னை வாங்க சொல்கிறதே 
மூங்கிலோடு பூங்காற்று நம்மை தீண்டி செல்கிறதே 
உலகை மறந்து உனது மடியில் புதிய இதயம் பிறந்து சிரிக்குதே 

நன்றி சொல்ல வேண்டும் நல்ல நாளிலே (2)
திருடனையே பிடிச்சிருக்கு புது தினுசா இது இருக்கு 
கூட்டல் கணக்கு புரிஞ்சிருச்சு போட்டி போட தெரிஞ்சிருச்சு 
ஒன்னும் ஒன்னும் ரெண்டாச்சு ரெண்டும் சேர்ந்து ஒன்னாச்சு

நன்றி சொல்ல வேண்டும் நல்ல நாளிலே

Back to top Go down

Post  kamalaakarsh Fri May 24, 2013 12:07 pm

V_S wrote:

I could not believe how Maestro is orchestrating in this much grand scale with just synth-driven violins, flute and veena.

Definitely with live instruments the effect would have been much better, but this is no way inferior given the budget constraints. The experience is undiminished and unmatched.

The charanam melody takes it way higher with the sweetness quotient.

Then comes the helluva of a line construction; 'manathu paravai siragil oLintha ragasiyam thirantha veLiyil virinthu parakkuthE' and 'idhaya vayalil vithaitha kuruvai muLai vida amudha mazhaikku kidanthu thavikkuthE' unbelievable construction there, bloody hell.

Excellent singing by Karthik and Priyadarshini presenting the bright mood throughout. This is what I call open and clean singing, no hesitation, no inhibition, no pushing of air.
This composition is complete and full blown one. Maestro has not shortened the interludes just because he has only synth to work with. Thank you Maestro for this wonderful gift!

Thats a very nice post there. Your thoughts resonate pretty much with mine, particularly the above lines.
kamalaakarsh
kamalaakarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri May 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Great post as always V_S saar. That song is still my favorite of the album. One song I can enjoy throughly without worrying about the synth factor.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Great post, V_Sji on the 'nanRi solla vENdum' song!

I loved the part about Hamsadwani (though I don't know ABC about that rAgA...the name got introduced by IR in an interview at the time of moodupani, calling 'mayilE mayilE' of kadavuL amaiththa mEdai as a sudhdhamAna hamsadwani) Smile

BTW, I love all the songs of CNC - a 100% acceptance level album!

Raja's New Albums - Page 6 2798411019 to R Sundarrajan for maintaining his musical sensitivity! nalla kAdhukaL, neeNda nAL vAzhattum!

'kallAlE senju vachcha' (female version) is my instant & current #1...two listens and each time kaNNil thaNNeer (emotions peak at that 'selvamE' word) Smile

rAsAvin sugamAnA, manadhukku idhamAna, trade mark thAlAttu!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for all the posts about the CNC album. Cant wait to listen. How are the US guys listening to this album? Is it out on iTunes?

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 pm

I don't think the album will ever be out on iTunes / Amazon etc.

Listen from here: http://tamiltunes.com/nila-choru-2013.html

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks aakarsh, Nerd, app ji and rajkumarc. Yes, coming up with new sounds is not that difficult (especially for a urban/city-based songs, Maestro had done lot of stuff like that recently), but for this kind of semi-classical song where he needed traditional instruments, he is at a huge loss without them. His hands are fully tied. Yet, he could almost reproduce the same effect with synth-based traditional sounds which is so amazing. Again I am not talking about percussion alone like mridangam or tabla or ghatam, it is the string instruments which is most difficult to reproduce in synth (especially the layers of violins, veena) which he did so brilliantly. This proves that even if hands are tied, his brain is free and open to explore such brilliant ideas.

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat May 25, 2013 2:32 am

Thanks much Nerd. Started listening to Kaalaiyile and it does sound very special. Satparna has lovely voice.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  rajkumarc Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Listening to CNC album repeatedly. Love all the songs. Melodies of this quality are only IR possible. Highly satisfying album overall.

rajkumarc

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the link. kallaLe senju vacha by Hari Charan is an instant hit with me. That addition of 'indha' the second time around is a new surprise. This is how you sing in tamil. nanRi solla vendum reminds me of ivan songs. And more over V_S pointed out the inconsistent lyric style which seems to bother me (just like in ivan, but the singer was better there). Priaydarshini needs to relax and watch the pronounciation. She knows only one la - somewhere between a la and La. Hari Charan is singing like a veteran. ungappan pera with its band reminds of virumaandi. But I guess it is innovative (for its rhytm).. But great to see GA (thanks ro app_engine's highlighting) back with IR. I hope it is not like a 'vEnda veRuppu' task assignment by IR, in this regard. I like kalaiyilE maalai vandadhu .. very confident effort by new singer. I expect it to be popular with the mainstream audience. kallaLe senju vacha will be hit with most honest, not-pretentious listeners.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun May 26, 2013 7:13 am

June 2nd week I hope to lay my hands on firestar and our skr/kameshratnam's rare IR CD thanks to Wizzy, kamesh, skr and our great V_S.

adhukkappuRAm dhAn Karthika Vana bhojanam(nila choru) , nadi thudikkuhadi, punjabi mouna ragam etc

plum

Back to top Go down

Raja's New Albums - Page 6 Empty NilA chOru songs

Post  mythila Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I was gnashing my teeth while all you guys were waxing eloquent about NilA chOru without giving out the links. How frustrating !!!
Neenga mattum vaazhga Nerdji.
"Kalaale senju" , esp the Haricharan's very neat version[The female version is a let down] is a safe, minimum guarantee SindhuBhairavi. Though I may not go "ga ga" over it, the smoothness of the tune does give me a pleasant listen. Even the synth here is subdued , much to my relief.
I cannot say the same with "kaalaiyile maalai", though. The synth ridden veenai, nadhaswaram, thavil and the beats do bother me. For, it is the best composition in this album. The tune is intricate in Abheri. How lovely would it be if Raja were to use the real veenai and nadhas ! Sigh!!!
Is it that difficult to get decent veenai and nadhas, thavil vidhwans in TFM for a reasonable budget? Rajavukke veLichham.
This complex tune only exposes the inexperience of the new singer Saptha. Her voice is definitely sweet. But so is Bela's voice . But this song demands the calibre of Shreya or Shwetha or Chitra.
I liked Saptha's rendition of "Kannan vandhu" and "muthumani". But "Kaalaiyile" 's charanams are unususual, free flowing and seem to unsettle her and her pronunciaion in pallavi , as V_Sji says needs to be worked on , if she wants to make a mark.
Need to listen to the rest and post.

- thumburu

Last edited by mythila on Sun May 26, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added footer)

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 27, 2013 5:41 am

'kallAlE senju vachcha' (both versions) getting frequently played thru out the day today!

IMHO, terrific emotional connect - the hallmark of IR-ism, kind of rediscovered in this number after a few years! kaN kalangals so many times, and I'm actually happy (and not depressed!)

2013 equivalent of 'pAdavA un pAdalai'!

Raja's New Albums - Page 6 2798411019

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 am

My mind (i.e. brain) tells the following :

-hEy, this is a synth / keyboard song with hardly any special prelude / interlude stuff
-the lyrics are pretty ordinary
-the lady singer has some pronunciation blemishes, struggles here and there
-there's this tsk-tsk percussion that shows up at places

But then, when the word "செல்வமே" comes, there're this அடிவயிற்றிலிருந்து பீறிடும் உணர்ச்சிகள்!

Every other nitpick gets hit out of the stadium and there's emotional upheavel!
(BTW, the male version waters down that word as 'செல்லமே' that is many notches down)

I guess simple melody takes the top spot when competing with everything else and rAsA (and Sundarrajan) knows this fact very well - thus there are two versions of this 'kallAlE senju vachcha'!

What a sea change from the orchestral marvel called NEPV! I guess, even without any BGM, I would still love 'kallAlE'!

May be I'm one of those simpletons of prior era / gen who can easily be emotionally manipulated / nenjai nakkified etc (mudhal muRai still #1 in NEPV, 'kallAlE' #1 in CNC, Anjali most fav of MR movies etc)...but that's OK!

All IRF's are not alike and I would rather get swayed by emotions in appreciation of art (than getting dumbstruck by brilliance) Smile

This song - being done in my most fav thAlAttu genre - will be close to my heart for years!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 am

App ji,
Wonderful post. the clap I can understand that அத்தனையும் மனசுலேர்ந்து வர வார்த்தைகள். I agree, for me too, emotions first come, rest next.

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 am

Nice post ji App. This song keeps haunting me, the synth / mediocre singing not withstanding. I prefer the Haricharan version. Priyadarshini struggles and the worst part is that shows - IMO.

Btw don't remember if you ever posted about the mayilu album - please give that a 2nd chance. http://www.thiraiisaipaadal.com/index.php?action=album&id=2134 I keep repeating the kirukki song a lot these days.

And V_Sji/mythila - Listen to Julie Ganapathy (ithayamE especially) for one and we ll know how poor ShreyaG was with the language. That she learnt fairly quickly etc is history now Very Happy . Let's hope Sapta gets better. She wasnt bad in those cover songs.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 27, 2013 4:40 pm

mikka nanRi V_Sji & Nerd!
I've made a custom CD for playing in the car - with CNC, dhOni (yet to give a decent listen) & mayilu (yet to give a decent listen) Smile
On one listen, I find all of these enjoyable...should observe more to form better opinions Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 pm

பேசாமே 'காலையிலே மாலை baந்தது'ன்னு வச்சிருக்கலாம்.

வங்கத்துல வெளஞ்ச அம்மணி எளிதாகப் பாடி இருப்பாங்க Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Nerd,
I agree with you on Saptaparna. She is way too good in her pronunciation even compared to native Priyadarshini. She has to improve on bhaavam, just my thought. Definitely she will learn and this generation are very fast leaners, no doubt about it.

Yes Mayilu is one heck of a soundtrack which deserves detail analysis. Will have to cover sometime soon. Full of raw emotions and since all songs are folk-based which is my biggest favorite, I listen to them very frequently. Aadhisokka is a mind-blowing treat.

Next up unga appan pera solli solli Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 am

unga appan pEra solli solli - First time when I listened to this song, I jumped out of joy as I remembered a film called Madagascar 3 and hence poured my one-liners here and in twitter. In that film, there is one tiger called Vitaly who has exceptional skills in jumping through the ring without the ring slipping (which we used to see during our childhood days). As and when he jumps through successfully, he brings in another smaller ring and tries to jump through. He continues in the same fashion till the ring reduces to the size which adorns our fingers. He also adds fire to the ring at last. Breath-taking!. Even with the same ring circus formula and Tiger doing the same 'jumping' thing, the audience didn't not get bored. Why? because they didn't see the ring and the same tiger alone, they see a challenge in every opportunity. Thus the audience were pushed to the edge of their seat to see if the tiger will succeed in this test as the ring becomes smaller and smaller. Inspiring stuff. Vitaly fails for the first time, but ultimately conquers. Ultimate test of temparament and creativity. Please watch this film if you haven't, nice film. You might wonder what relation this song has with that film. It definitely has, we will talk about it little later. Smile

This is the first song I heard in this soundtrack as Ilaiyaraaja's name was on it. I could straightway connect to this song. A Classical treat from Maestro. Definitely this song also begs to be heard with live orchestration. It is a totally new song having no shades of his earlier songs. When we know this song has abundant energy, it also has boundless innovation. Cracking start to the song with trumpets, violins (all synth but) and that seducing rhythm pattern. I was blown straight-away by the stunning situation similar to adi raakkumuthu raakku. There the husband celebrates the occasion and praises the motherhood. Here the husband is asking her wife to bear a child which will bear their name and tradition. The former lyrics has a matured and serious tone, whereas here it is sarcastic and funny. Gangai Amaran after a long time with his brother. I am in total love with the lyrics and they way it fits the tune. The first lines are so funny that when I keep recalling its meaning, I cannot stop laughing. Straight-away connection!. Husband is asking his wife to bear a child which will scold her father and also to scold a scolding father (that's him) LOL. 'unga appan pera cholli cholli thitta oru puLLa peththu thaa, thittugira appanayum thittugira pulla pethtthu thaa'. 'vaarthai jaalam' at its best after a long time. The choir (male and female choir alternate) which follows every line of pallavi and anu-pallavi substantiates the sarcasm behind those lines. Brilliant ideas. I love the humming there. Maestro even changes the humming in the next line. When we think the pallavi lines are little chopped and not continuous (I don't think that way, beautifully constructed Wink) he springs a last line of anu-pallavi where we get to hear the soul of the song. How beautifully he adds; 'antha puLLa kodu chella kiLiyE', the line which I listen again and again. Rhythmic arrangements are truly out of the world, it took some time grasp it. Just this aspect deserves a thesis.

Now comes the Maestro only territory, the orchestration. This time it is a new territory even for Maestro as he does not have his men behind him to play for him. This song has more difficult orchestration even compared to the earlier one as Maestro opted for WCM style orchestration. He could have easily chosen a easier route (based on the budget) but he didn't do so. That's where the confidence and authority comes in again. In the earlier song he has to look for the sounds of mainly veena, flute and little bit of violins, but with WCM he has to completely rely on violins/cellos, layers of it. On top of it he also uses trumpets to its maximum effect. In the first interlude, the cellos and trumpets form a counter-melody too. After some time, we get to hear vocal harmony, like never before. Our hearts goes out for it. Stunning sequence of melody!
yeh muthu pOla puLLa undu
yeh pethu pOdu peththu pOdu
yEn aasaiyOdu kekkurathu
ada aLLi kodu aLLi kodu
yeh thagathagathom yeh thagathagathom yeh thagathagathom thagathagathom
yeh thagathagathom yeh thagathagathom yeh thagathagathom thagathagathom

In the second interlude the intense shown in violins is still more aggressive. Hear the layers of violins. One layer plays in staccato mode while other layer plays in tremolo fashion. Male choir join with shehnai forming another rare shehnai-vocal counter-melody. First time ever! When shehnai and choir join along with another keyboard sound, we could even think if the rhythm arrangement has been changed, but it's not. If you hear everything together, we can definitely hear a new rhythm arrangement, but Maestro is actually playing the same pattern, but see how he mesmerize us with the rhythm by adding these subtle layers. Then santoor joins in with violins for a racy finish. He brought out the WCM orchestra in front of us with a wonderful harmony of layers of synth instruments and vocals. I would say this is the biggest accomplishment by any composer given the constraints. noteworthy

Coming to the charanam melody, it is so vibrant even it is short. Nicely written lines by Gangai Amaran. No voice other than Maestro could have brought the soul effectively. What started as a rollicking fun song, now gets transformed into reality. Maestro's voice brimming with soul when he sings these thoughtful lines. The mood completely changes here. Again the humming here after first two lines is not sarcasm, as we can hear, it actually extends what Maestro is trying to convey. What a brilliant move by Maestro! Also please hear, Maestro has now changed the rhythm pattern (only in charanams) and he seamlessly changes it back during pallavis. How many in the name of innovation? The best touch is the last line when he finishes with aplomb; 'appan pOla puLLa vanthaa appanukkum kooda pala buthi mathi solli kodukkum', I am torn into pieces. I am still awe-struck in all these 35 years on how is he able to finish so convincingly every last line of charanam without any ambiguity. Such a sheer joy to listen to these lines. I pray God to give me million re-births only to listen to Maestro's ending charanam lines and how he connects to pallavi.

munnavanga senja thavam seikayil veLangum (aaaa…)
nallathethu kettathethu pOga pOga theriyum (aaaa..)
paattu moottai vandi vechcha vElayellaam
kottom pOttu attagaasam thaan nadathum
appan pOla puLLa vanthaa appanukkum kooda pala buthi mathi solli kodukkum

solli thantha viththai ellaam avanukku peragum (aaaa…)
appadiyE puLLa vazhi arputhama thodarum (aaaa…)
nalla vedhai kettu pOi muLaikkaathu
nambu kondu vaanam vaththi pOgaathu (not sure about this line Neutral )
selvam endraal piLLai selvam sErntha selvam eppozhuthum unnai vittu velagaathu

Please don't miss the guitar pizzicato after the last line of charanam, lovely. noteworthy

Brilliant, unconventional folk melody wrapped in ICM and WCM outfit with Maestro's signature all over. No complaints whatsoever. Now coming to the question I posted at the start. What's the relation between this song and that movie? Maestro yet again proves how he creates a boundary on his own and also knowing that with every outing the boundary gets shorter (as the essence of this raagam has already been churned out a lot by him), but he knows the way to emerge successfully. Vitaly fails for the first time, but Maestro never fails. The song in question is composed in keeravani raagam. While he has scored lot of songs (>70 songs. Wow!) in keeravani raagam (compared to other raagams), this song comes as a breath of fresh air which is unbelievable to think that it is again in same raagam, as it completely broke the expected parameters already composed by Maestro. While I look at his list of songs in this raagam I only feel dizzier. It is like a director giving him a different situations every time and asking him to compose a song in the same raagam, but no shades of his earlier songs. On top of it, choosing WCM style orchestration (equivalent to adding fire to the ring) with no team behind him to play for him. Imagine the difficulty and the steepness to climb. Innovation is not just breaking the boundary every time for no reason (ignoring the demands), it is how you restrict yourself and come out successful (complying with the demands). Anyone dare to take this challenge?

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue May 28, 2013 5:15 pm

ada, ada! Another flamboyant write-up by V_Sji!

Raja's New Albums - Page 6 2798411019

Of course, for a very deserving song! I love this song too, rAsA brand kuRumbu...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  mythila Tue May 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Nerd, wnen I heard "kaalaiyile maalai", I was actually thinking about ShreyaG's "Julie Ganapathy", but a different song, "enakku piditha paadal", where she flunked on the line in pallavi, "iraivan vaLartha sOlaiyil ..." . Yes, I have hopes on Saptha , that too after that "kaanan vandhu " and "mutumaNi maalai". It would be great to have another singer grow to Shreya level of competence so that B and C grade singers like Rita or BhavathA do not find scope in Raja songs.

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 43  Next