Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

+20
D22_Malar
Sakalakala Vallavar
baroque
crimson king
rajkumarc
fring151
olichudar
Drunkenmunk
Punnaimaran
jaiganesh
Wizzy
sagi
kiru
al_gates
plum
V_S
sheepChase
Usha
app_engine
24 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 7 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  app_engine Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:22 am

nanRi fring151!

Since IR-VM koottaNi was a relatively short-term one, it won't be as difficult to cover (like the IR-Vaali koottaNi).

Already three years done and the 4th one in progress. There'll be only 3 more years after that. The exercise also brings out some interesting facts - e.g. IR had 100+ TFM hits in just one year during that time period Smile

Who else can come anywhere close - even remotely close to such numbers? Not just in TFM, in ANY WORLD / FIELD OF MUSIC? )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) - Page 7 Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  app_engine Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

#61 thenRal ennai muththamittadhu (KC/BSS, oru Odai nadhiyAgiRadhu)

Another sweet first-line song from the same Sridhar-directed movie that had Raghuvaran / Sumalatha. One of those few Sridhar movies with great songs by rAsA that didn't do well at the BO. Wait a minute, it should have been one of the many Embarassed

IIRC, only three did really well - IO / AUA / TET :oops:However,  every one of them had great songs!

Now, when I checked out the youtube of this song - it's some other lady & not Sumalatha Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPFZeDK45eQ

So, it looks like a "mukkOna" movie, something for which Sridhar was well-known in the olden days IIRC Laughing

Let's get into the pAdal varigaL :

தென்றல் என்னை முத்தமிட்டது
இதழில் இனிக்க இதயம் கொதிக்க
எல்லோரும் பார்க்க

நீண்ட நாளாய்ப் பூக்கள் சேர்த்தேன்
உன்னை எண்ணி மாலை கோர்த்தேன்
தூரம் இன்று நானும் பார்த்தேன்
என்னை நானே காவல் காத்தேன்
கனவில் ஏதோ கோலம் போட்டேன்
காதல் மேளம் நானும் கேட்டேன்

காமன் தோட்டம் பூத்த நேரம்
நாணம் வந்து வேலி போடும்
ஊடல் என்னை தீண்டச் சொல்லும்
வேலி உன்னை மேயச் சொல்லும்
காத்துக் கிடந்த சோலையோரம்
கங்கை வந்து பாயும் நேரம்

Typical VM song, with his contrasts (இதழில் இனிக்க இதயம் கொதிக்க, something like நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே தீ இருந்தும் மேனி எங்கும் பூ வசந்தம்) and phrases like காமன் தோட்டம் / காத்துக் கிடந்த சோலை etc packed along with the strong bodily stuff in a romance song Wink

One can sense the good days between rAsA-VM, when we hear the sweet sound of மேளம் in the background when the words "காதல் மேளம் நானும் கேட்டேன்" are sung Smile

Kind of underlining approval by rAsA for an interesting pAdal vari doublethumbsup

Last edited by app_engine on Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 pm

#62 kanavu onRu thOnRudhE idhai yArOdu solla (SJ, oru Odai nadhiyAkiRadhu)

Another lovely song from this movie, with a poetic first line. I'm sure Sridhar & VM shared the poetic vibe, going by NN and this album that came after that. While NN was 100% VM, GA got chance for one song in OON (rAththirippozhudhu). As we've seen in the three posts, all the VM hits had poetic first line (thalayaikkuniyum thAmarai, theNRal ennai muththamittadhu & this).

rAsA, as usual, wanted to do a good job with Sridhar and came off with flying colors! (Remember IR recalling in some interview about why he didn't want to do a hurried job for Sridhar's first movie with him - because of the director's glorious track record with MSV which rAsA had to live up to!)

Sridhar, while getting great music / songs, perhaps lost his sharpness on script aspect around this time. Like I said in the prior post, only three did very well (IO, AUA, TET) and of those three, personally, I liked portions of IO, never seen AUA and couldn't stand TET Embarassed

However, I'm extremely happy for this combo - for those evergreen numbers, even in a written-off project like Kamal in meeNdum sooryOdhayam aka NOT Smile

Now, this song has a terrific saraNam - which takes what one can call a "DETOUR" from pallavi, sounding "hindustAni", but sweetly connects back to pallavi Smile

On the pAdal varigaL that sound almost like pudhukkavidhai (especially the saraNam portion), there are the typical VM phrases - மிகச் சூடாக / பூமகள் மேலாடை / காமனே வாராதே / புனிதம் இனிமேல் புதிதாய்க் கெடுமோ & சிறையை உடைக்க Smile

Of course some novel coinages there but there's this kAma tension, which is why I said "typical" Laughing(which hopefully fit the theme well)...

கனவு ஒன்று தோன்றுதே இதை யாரோடு சொல்ல
விழி ஓரங்கள் மிகச் சூடாக எதிர்பாராமல் சில நாளாக

பூமகள் மேலாடை நெளியுமோ
நகர்ந்திடுமோ நழுவிடுமோ
காமனே வாராதே காமனே வாராதே
மனமே பகையா மலரும் சுமையா
உறக்கம் கலைக்க உறுதி குலைக்க

பார்வைகள் பார்த்தானே இருதயம்
இடம் பெயர்ந்து கிறங்கிடுதே
கேள்விகள் கேட்டானே கேள்விகள் கேட்டானே
புனிதம் இனிமேல் புதிதாய்க் கெடுமோ
சிறையை உடைக்க பறவை நினைக்க

First time seeing the youtube:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 am

app - we have discussed OON before. Sridhar enna moodla eduthArO theriyala - ellA pAttumE Friday Fury dhAn ;-)

That lady is Manochitra d/o Baliah - munboru muRai nAn manobala-nu solli nInga dhAne thiruthinInga?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 am

plum wrote:app - we have discussed OON before. Sridhar enna moodla eduthArO theriyala - ellA pAttumE Friday Fury dhAn ;-)

That lady is Manochitra d/o Baliah - munboru muRai nAn manobala-nu solli nInga dhAne thiruthinInga?

AmAlla? Embarassed

I must have googled then - movie pArththadhillai Embarassed

In any case, memory loss is a sign of ageing Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am

#63 mottu vitta mullakkodi (SJ/SPS, inRu nee nALai nAn)

Without doubt, VM kAttil hit mazhai during this year ( still 20 more to go Shocked ) and this movie directed by Major Sundarrajan had 3 more to his kitty. rAsA was in one of his peak productivity phases and obviously daily innovating as well.

Look at the youtube of this song (poor quality video):

Let us get into the pAdal varigaL and see what fun exists in this "OrppadiyALuka" pAttu ( I guess the younger one becomes pregnant and the older one teases her, perhaps also in mild-sOgam mode for her own barrenness, read the novel but never got a chance to watch the supposedly adult-themed movie)

மொட்டு விட்ட முல்லக்கொடி மச்சான் தொட்ட மஞ்சக்கிளி
வெக்கப்பட்டுச் சொக்கி நிக்குது
இந்த அல்லித்தண்டு என்னக்கண்டு தண்ணிக்குள்ள விக்கி நிக்குது
வள்ளிப்பொண்ணே நானிருக்கேன் அச்சம் என்ன உனக்கு
அந்த நாளை நெஞ்சில் வச்சு எண்ணிச்சொல்லு கணக்கு

உன் கேலி போதுமடி (ஒளிஞ்சிருந்து) மாங்கா திங்கும் மாதமடி
அடிப்பெண்ணே வயிரு வரும் முன்னே நீயும் சுமந்து தள்ளாட வேணுமடி
நெஞ்சுகுள்ளே ஏதோ ஆசை யாரப்பாத்து நானும் பேச
அலபாயுது வாலிப மனசு ஆச வயசு

என் வீட்டுத் தூளியடி (பறந்து வந்து) ஒன் வீட்டில் ஆடுமடி
அந்தச்சுட்டி வளரும் தங்கக்கட்டி இவள் மடியில் சங்கீதம் பாடுமடி
ரோசாப்பூவும் மஞ்சப்பூசும் பாத்துப்புட்டா கண்ணும் கூசும்
உனக்கும் ஒரு கிளி வந்து பொறக்கும் பூவாச்சிரிக்கும்

If one listens to the song without paying attention to the "sichchuvEshan", the last couple of lines of first saraNam would be confusing. As I know the story, can understand why suddenly such shift from "teasing a pregnant lady" to "viraga thAbam" Laughing(The scene is shot accordingly as well).

Nice words are placed for the smoothie themmAngu melody, with nice imagery (ரோசாப்பூவும் மஞ்சப்பூசும்). VM easily scores a boundary in this song. ( I guess he was in decent elements for the whole album as we will see two more numbers. The top-class-number is reserved for "friday" Laughing)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm

#64 thAzhampoovE kaNNuRangu (inRu nee nALai nAn, SPB/SJ/UR)

Perhaps the first song Uma Ramanan sang with SPB. Not a duet though and she had to wait even longer to sing a duet with him (yAr thoorigai thandha Oviyam in 1986 IIRC) i.e. 3+ years wait from debut to sing with SPB and another 3 years wait to sing a real duet!

Let's see if youtube exists for this...yes, here you go:

Now, look at the pAdal varigaL - agreed, this is an adult themed movie, adhukkAka should even breast-feeding be included with a twisted mind? The poet's penchant for kAmam is evident in that "மச்சானின் பாதிக்கண்ணு பாத்திருக்க" Embarassed

Other than that, the whole song is filled with some unconnected phrases in an incoherent manner - e.g. நீயென்ன அம்மாவா பொண்ணென்ன சும்மாவா all of a sudden in second saraNam - what? The unimaginative director adds nothing as well, enabling people to go out to toilet or beedi Sad

But the last line takes the top-joke prize : "அடி நீயும் சேயே நானும் தாயே" rotfl2

தாழம்பூவே கண்ணுறங்கு
தங்கத்தேரே கண்ணுறங்கு
அடி ஆயிரம் ஆயிரம் பூ உறங்கு
அந்தப்பூவுல ஆடிய தேனுறங்கு
அடி நீ கொஞ்சம் தூங்கு நானுறங்க

நேரம் கேட்ட நேரத்துல ஒங்க அப்பன் ஓரத்துல
மொத்தக்கண்ணில் தூக்கம் இல்ல மத்தபடி ஏக்கம் இல்ல
பூச்சுத்தப் பாப்பாக நீ சொன்னாக் கேப்பாக
மச்சானின் பாதிக்கண்ணு பாத்திருக்க
மாராப்புப் போட்டு வச்சேன் பால் கொடுக்க
அடப்போதும் வீம்பு நீயும் தூங்கு

பட்டுச்சட்ட போடச்சொல்லு வாங்கித்தாறேன் வைரக்கல்லு
வெள்ளித்தட்டில் நெல்லுச்சோறு அள்ளித்தின்னச் சொல்லிப்பாரு  
நீயென்ன அம்மாவா பொண்ணென்ன சும்மாவா
ஏம்புள்ள என்னக்கண்டு தாவுதம்மா
பூம்பாதம் தண்ணி பட்டா நோகுமம்மா
அடி போதும் தள்ளு, லேசாக்கிள்ளு

பாத்துப்பாத்துப் பாசம் வச்சேன் பாசத்தோட ஆச வச்சேன்
ஆத்தா தந்த முத்தம் போக நானும் கொஞ்சம் மிச்சம் வச்சேன்
தனிமைக்கு யார் சொந்தம் நீ தந்தாய் ஆனந்தம்
நீ தந்த சொந்தத்தில வாழ வந்தேன்
அன்பென்னும் ராசாங்கத்த ஆள வந்தேன்
அடி நீயும் சேயே நானும் தாயே

Last edited by app_engine on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:49 am

#65 pon vAnam panneer thoovudhu innEram (SJ, inRu nee nALai nAn)

I'm overwhelmed writing about two great songs sung by SJ today (one in GA thread and another here) Smile

Pasting the youtube link here - don't want to embed Embarassed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWRgvygygc
(Sivamaindhar is ultra hilarious, but 18+ video)

After seeing the video for the first time a couple of days back (and getting shocked & amused), I noticed that per youtube, the song has been a regular on stage shows / TV pOtti shows etc. (There's even a child version where KSC sits as the judge). I encourage checking out some of such - will help in a great deal to appreciate the colossal talent that was SJ! (None of such show singers can do even 10% justice to what she had done)!

Since the song had been dissected in detail by music pundits many times, I don't have to worry about proclaiming the terrific stuff done by IR in this - let me start looking at the pAdal varigaL Smile

பொன்வானம் பன்னீர் தூவுது இந்நேரம்
அட எண்ணம் மீறுது, வண்ணம் மாறுது கண்ணோரம்

மழைப்பூக்களே ஒதுங்க இடம் பார்க்குதே
மலர் அம்புகள் உயிர் வரைக்கும் தாக்குதே
மழை செய்யும் கோளாறு கொதிக்குதே பாலாறு
இது காதல் ஆசைக்கும் காமன் பூஜைக்கும் நேரமா
இந்த ஜோடி வண்டுகள் கோடு தாண்டிடுமா

தங்கத்தாமரை மலர்ந்த பின்பு மூடுமோ
பட்டுப்பூங்கொடி படர இடம் தேடுமோ
மலர்க்கணை பாயாதோ மதுக்குடம் சாயாதோ
இந்த வெள்ளை மல்லிகை தேவகன்னிகை தானம்மா
மழை காமன் காட்டில் பெய்யும்கால் அம்மம்மா

VM's fav topic - kAmam, viragam - so veLuththu vAngi irukkiRAr. Of course, some ideas have been borrowed from contemporaries. (Mu Mehta's 'kaNNeerppookkaL' was a famous book at that time, and we see மழைப்பூக்களே in this song, for e.g.) OTOH, there's some trade-mark stuff, like காமன் பூஜை / காமன் காட்டில் Laughing

Add தாக்குதே / கொதிக்குதே violence, எண்ணம் மீறுது / கோடு தாண்டிடுமா kind of communism.

Well, along with all the above, there's beautiful poetry Smile

"வண்ணம் மாறுது கண்ணோரம்" is terrific, for example. A former co-worker used to often talk about his version of how this phenomenon (green color) happens at the "most intimate" moments Laughing 

Then there's the first line, "பொன்வானம் பன்னீர் தூவுது இந்நேரம்" - beautiful expression of rain!

Classic!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:59 am

App, thazhampoove brings another parameter to the fore.

You have been counting VM hits under IR but if you take this song, does it really qualify? It is a hit song no doubt with huge amount of response in Radio play(koimthur AIR as Rex Arul would say)

But really, does anyone think the hit is attributable to VM in this song? Pathetic, ordinary lyrics which are not even that catchy. Very minimal contribution to the popularity of the song, with IR being the sole reason why the song is still remembered.

idhaiyellAM VM kaNakkulErundhu minus paNNanum(maybe revisit previous years to do this exercise objectively).

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:00 am

OTOH, ponvaanam is a good example of the lyrics being catchy to contribute a little to the song's popularity never mind the glitches you have highliighted

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:05 am

Infact, I never noticed the stupid lyrics you highlighted in Thaazhampoove illainA would have been plain embarassed to play it in front of family:). Clearly a case of IR overwhelming everything else to obscurity

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:45 am

I absolutely agree with Plum on this. In fact, I almost always never notice the lyrics till I consciously make an effort. Even in the case of Idhu oru pon mAlai pozhudhu or Ilaya NilA and other such undeniably great poetry, it is the music that completely overwhelms me. It is really debatable to what extent the lyrics elevated these songs. On the other hand, when I listen to songs by most other MDs, I tend to follow lyrics without much conscious effort even though my concentration is mostly on the music! This could be due to the sheer complexity of Raja's song structures,  and orchestration as we discussed in the other thread. I mean, with so many layers and subtle embellishments to look out for- Chords, polyphany, bass guitar, the lyrics pretty much take the backseat for me.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:13 am

plum,
I share the same opinion on VM's contribution (rather lack of it) in most cases of the HIT songs I place in this thread.

This is just an exercise to catalog ALL the VM hits (with some nitpicking / appreciation here and there).

End of the thread, the world should know - quantitatively how many hits VM had with IR and why this "golden age" "gOpurakkalasam" business is a farce, proven in an absolutely unbiased manner Wink

mini varalARu Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 pm

#66 andharangam yAvumE solvadhenRAl pAvamE (Ayiram nilavE vA, SPB)

Like I mentioned in the SPB-IR series , both the SPB songs from this 200th album of rAsA were rated lower than others those days by me. Interestingly, both these SPB numbers got penned by VM as per the vinyl cover Smile

The sweet PS number 'gangai AtRil' was by Pulamaippiththan and the beatsy MV-SPS themmAngu 'oottikkuLiru ammAdi' was by GA.

That eppudi-eppudi irritant was possibly a team decision and I won't attribute it to VM. However, there was nothing great otherwise in the pAdal varigaL IMHO. The song was a hit, however Wink

BTW, what is that "ம்-ம்ஹூம்" in the pallavai? Is it "kazhudhai"? If so, that'll be foolish because "kazhudhaikkum kAdhal uNdu" Smile In any case, the song is full of "bawdy" stuff and cringeworthy Embarassed

அந்தரங்கம் யாவுமே சொல்வதென்றால் பாவமே
ஏழையின் காதலை மாளிகை அறியுமா?
காதலின் வாசனை ம்-ம்ஹூம் அறியுமா?

காமனே நாணம் கொண்டால் சொல்லியது தீராது
கம்பனே வந்தால் கூட கட்டுப்படியாகாது
கண்டதில் இன்று நான் சொல்வது பாதியே
காவிய நாயகி கண்ணகி ஜாதியே
அன்று ஒரு நாள் அந்த மயிலாள் ஆடை நனைந்தாள்
காயும் வரையில் தோகை உடலில் என்னை அணிந்தாள்
நாணமே சேலையானதும் போதையானதும் என்னென்று சொல்ல?

காதலை தானம் கேட்டேன் என்ன ஒரு தாராளம்
நானவள் தோளில் சாய்ந்து அள்ளியது ஏராளம்
தாவணிப்பூவினை சோதனை செய்கிறேன்
எத்தனை மச்சங்கள் கேள் அதைச்சொல்கிறேன்
பாவை உடலில் கோடி மலரில் ஆடை அணிவேன்
ஆடை அறியும் சேதி முழுதும் நானும் அறிவேன்
மீதியை நானுரைப்பதும் நீ ரசிப்பதும் பண்பாடு இல்லை

BTW, watch the video at your own risk:

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm

#67 dEvadhai iLam dEvi (SPB, Ayiram nilavE vA)

One more number from the same movie by VM, as mentioned in the post above. One of not much interest to me, like the other, as observed in the SPB-IR thread .

Well, looking at the lyrics, I wonder if TR had a dinner party with VM Laughing

தேவி/ஆவி
முல்லையே/இல்லையே
சோதனை/வேதனை
பாடி/வாடி/கோடி
விதி/சதி
ராத்திரி/ஆதரி
தேதி/ஜாதி/பாதி

And some words filled in-between Smile

தேவதை இளம் தேவி உன்னைச் சுற்றும் ஆவி
காதலான கண்ணீர் காணவில்லையா
ஓ நீயில்லாமல் நானா

ஏரிக்கரைப் பூவெல்லாம் எந்தன் பெயர் சொல்லாதோ
பூ வசந்தமே நீ மறந்ததேன்
ஆற்று மணல் மேடெங்கும் நான் வரைந்த கோலங்கள்
தேவ முல்லையே காணவில்லையே
காதல் சோதனை இரு கண்ணில் வேதனை
ஒரு வானம்பாடி தேகம் வாடி பாடும் சோகம் கோடி

எந்தனது கல்லறையில் வேறொருவன் தூங்குவதா
விதி என்பதா சதி என்பதா
சொந்தமுள்ள காதலியே வற்றிவிட்ட காவிரியே
உந்தன் ஆவியை நீ வெறுப்பதா
இது கண்ணீர் ராத்திரி என் கண்ணே ஆதரி
இவன் தேயும் தேதி கண்ணீர் ஜாதி நீ தான் எந்தன் பாதி

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Though unrelated to this thread, duty bound to point folks, even though most would be aware, to the Kannada original: Kelade Nimageega:

Just see how the music director creates the tribal feel necessary for this situation beneath the core of the tune which remains the same. Also, watch the WCM touches in that tribal theme within this tune. Complex, satisfying. The Tamil version recreates the tune with the theme of horror brought in expertly for the ghost of the hero singing to his heroine. Both have love as the theme. One is tribal, the other is other-worldly. Both have the same tune. But see how different they are Smile Wouldn't be out of place to say such stuffs are all India level la, only Raaja fossible applause
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 pm

#68 Om namasivAyA (SJ, salangai oli)

One of the most famous set of IR-VM songs happened to be from a Telugu-dubbed (or primarily-Telugu-also-made-in-Thamizh) movie. Called 'sAgara sangamam' in Telugu which fetched IR his first NA! VM did the Thamizh version of all songs (except the Manju Bargavi dance number on kalyANa mandapam - bAla kanaga - where the Telugu original was retained on-screen).

Filled heavily with vadamozhi, this SPS dance number isn't that well-known for any kind of Thamizh poetry. Musicwise extremely rich - with SJ adding phenomenal value. VM had to fit in words that both lip-sync'ed and suited the theme, retaining vadamozhi words where necessary (panja bhoodhangAL, for e.g.).

Not an easy job and VM did decent justice to this number IMHO! Of course, the Telugu original may be immensely better (plum / Sureshji / kamalaakarsh are experts there)...

This youtube has title music as well as a few minutes prior to the song:

ஓம் நமசிவாயா
தங்க நிலாவினை அணிந்தவா
ஆடுகிறேன் பூர்ணோதயா அருளில்லையா

பஞ்ச பூதங்களும் முகவடிவாகும்
ஆறு காதங்களும் ஆடைகளாகும்
மலைமகள் பார்வதி உன்னுடன் நடக்க
ஏழு அடிகளும் ஸ்வரங்கள் படிக்க
உன் பார்வையே எட்டு திசைகளே
உன் சொற்களே நவரசங்களே
கங்கையின் மணவாளா
உன் மௌனமே புவனி ரதங்கள் தரவில்லையா

மூன்று காலங்களும் உந்தன் விழிகள்
சதுர் வேதங்களும் உந்தன் வழிகள்
கணபதி முருகனும் ப்ரபஞ்சம் முழுதும்
இறைவா உன்னடிக்கடுகே துதிக்கும்
அத்வைத்யமும் நீ ஆதி அந்தம் நீ
நீ அங்கு இல்லை புவனம் முழுதும் நீ
கைலாச மலை வாசா கலையாவும் நீ
புவி வாழ்வு பெறவே அருள் புரி நீ

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:41 pm

#69 vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu (SPB/SPS, salangai oli)

I've posted several times about this song on forums as one of my all-time-fav numbers. What a lovely themmAngu with sophisticated orchestration! IIRC, most part of this song is "long-shot" on screen (and thus not much necessity for the kavingar to struggle to match the Telugu lip-sync).

Let me reconfirm with the youtube...

The song is a spoof of "typical film love songs". Since many romantic movie songs refer Krishna - who has the reputation of kAdhal mannan and thus fit the theme nicely, K Viswanath wanted to use that reference (and also have a mild praise of the deity).

Despite the atheistic background of VM, he had no difficulty with this one Laughing That's because the whole song rides on fun elements - rather than serious worship stuff - and has done a decent job IMO.

வான் போலே வண்ணம் கொண்டு
வந்தாய் கோபாலனே பூ முத்தம் தந்தவனே
ஆஹா வெண்ணிலா மின்னிடும் கன்னியர் கண்களில்
தன்முகம் கண்டவனே பல விந்தைகள் செய்தவனே!

மண்ணைத் தின்று வளர்ந்தாயே துள்ளிக் கொண்டு திரிந்தாயே
அன்னை இன்றித் திரிந்தாயே பெண்களோடு அலைந்தாயே
மோகனங்கள் பாடி வந்து மோக வலை விரித்தாயே
சேலைகளைத் திருடி அன்று செய்த லீலை பல கோடி
பொன்னான காவியங்கள் போற்றிப் பாடும் காதல் மன்னா

பெண்கள் உடை எடுத்தவனே தங்கைக்குடை கொடுத்தவனே
ராச லீலை புரிந்தவனே ராஜ வேலை தெரிந்தவனே
கீதை எனும் சாரம் சொல்லி கீர்த்தியினை வளர்த்தாயே
கவிகள் உனை வடிக்க காலமெல்லாம் நிலைத்தாயே
வானில் உந்தன் காதல் எல்லாம் இன்றும் என்றும் வாழும் கண்ணா

BTW, note the repeated "ராச / ராஜ" references, eulogising IR during those buddy-buddy days Wink

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm

#70 nAdha vinOdhangaL (salangai oli, SPB/SPS)

A fast running song showcasing the dancer possibly with some lip-lync requirement. Most of the words got beautifully placed in the melody.

The later part of the song, starting from "காவிரி மங்கை வந்தாளம்மா" is only on cassette and not on screen. VM finally found some opportunity where he can be on "his own self" (i.e. without any constraints from K Viswanath such as purANA references and things of such nature).

So, happily indulged in his typical perverted stuff (மேலாடை கொஞ்சம் விலக்கி / வாலிப தேசத்து ராணி etc. to describe the river Kaveri Laughing)

நாத விநோதங்கள் நடன சந்தோஷங்கள் பரம சுகங்கள் தருமே
அபிநயம் காண்பதும் அதில் மனம் தோய்வதும் வீடு பேறு தருமே
பாவங்களே பழகுவதே கானங்களே கலையசைவே
உடலொடு உயிர்வந்து இணைகின்ற நயமிது

கைலைநாதன் நடனம் ஆடும் சிவரூபம்
பெளர்ணமி நேரம் நிலவில் ஆடும் ஒளி தீபம்
நவரச நடனம் ஜதி தரும் அமுதம்
அவன் விழியசைவில் எழு புவியசையும்
பரதம் என்னும் நடனம் பிறவி முழுதும் தொடரும்
விழி ஒளி பொழியும் அதில் பகை அழியும்
சிவனின் நயனம் உலகாளும்
நடனம்! நாட்டியம்! உலகம் சிவனின் தஞ்சம் அவன் பாதமே பங்கஜம்
நர்த்தனமே சிவகவசம் நடராஜ பாதம் நவரசம்

காவிரி மங்கை வந்தாளம்மா என்னுடன் கைவீசி
மேனி எங்கும் மினுக்கி அட மேளதாளம் முழக்கி
கூந்தல் கொஞ்சம் ஒதுக்கி மேலாடை கொஞ்சம் விலக்கி
பச்சிளம் பூவில் பாவாடை தைச்சு
குண்டுமல்லியில் கொண்டையும் வச்சு
வந்தா அரசாணி அவ வாலிப தேசத்து ராணி

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

#71 mounamAna nEram (salangai oli, SPB/SJ)

VM was privileged to pen the words for one of the greatest-ever songs in TFM history. Of course, "greatest" in the overall sense (where the lines themselves didn't play a major role). At the minimum, as Plum had mentioned in the IR forum of the hub, it can't compete with the Telugu original. For that matter, this could have possibly taken some concepts - even words, from that one Smile

That way, while IR-SPB-SJ take the main awards for this song, VM can hope for a notional prize Wink

Here are the pAdal varigaL ( One is a certified "vaira vari", highlighted in RED, others are so-so with some typical VM stuff "கொதிக்கும் நீர்த்துளி" / "இரவின் ஈரம்") :

மௌனமான நேரம்
இள மனதில் என்ன பாரம்
மனதில் ஓசைகள் இதழில் மௌனங்கள்
ஏனென்று கேளுங்கள்

இளமைச் சுமையை மனம் தாங்கிக் கொள்ளுமோ
புலம்பும் அலையை கடல் மூடிக் கொள்ளுமோ
குளிக்கும் ஓர் கிளி கொதிக்கும் நீர்த் துளி
கூதலான மார்கழி நீளமான ராத்திரி
நீ வந்து ஆதரி

இவளின் மனதில் இன்னும் இரவின் ஈரமோ
கொடியின் மலர்கள் குளிர் காயும் நேரமோ
பாதை தேடியே பாதம் போகுமோ
காதலான நேசமோ கனவு கண்டு கூசுமோ
தனிமையோடு பேசுமோ

One of my fav videos, especially the part where Jayapradha relaxes in the living room after bath & enjoying music Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

app_engine wrote:#69 vAn pOlE vaNNam koNdu (SPB/SPS, salangai oli)

மோகனங்கள் பாடி வந்து மோக வலை விரித்தாயே
aah Salangai Oli. Lyrics neenga pAthuppeenga. Adding my tidbits, which I shared on blog discussing a couple of the songs.

That line highlighted in bold. adhula oru podi. Whole song in Mohana raagam. Just that line where the line goes மோகனங்கள் பாடி வந்து, the raaga is not Mohanam. It touches Vaasanthi. A mischievous joke from IR?

Kind of confirming my doubts, Naadha Vinodhangal songs adds credence. Reproducing what I wrote from the blog:

"It starts with a shlOkA from KalidAsa’s Raghuvamsam which ends by invoking Shiva and Parvathi (PArvathi Parameshwarau). But not really with this song. This song’s prelude ends with the phrase with Parvati Pa-Rameshwarau (after it has done its routine PArvathi Parameshwarau) and Kamal depicting an anantasayanar (Vishnu) with his abhinayam. While this is queer, I say Pa-Rameshwarau with a reason. I came across this in a blog by @nchokkan with respect to this song. It is clever word play and not cutting at words inappropriately. Parvati Parameshwarau is Parvati and Shiva. However, Parvati-Pa is Parvati-ka-pati which is Shiva in Sanskrit. Also, Rameshwarau, torn apart from Pa, is RamA+Eeshwarau (RamA is another name for Lakshmi) and RamA Eeshwarau is the Lord of RamA and hence Vishnu. The dancer hence invokes anantasayanar with his abhinayam.

As an aside, I first heard this mentioned by Chandrashekarendra Saraswati of Kanchi in his series of books on Hinduism (Deivathin Kural) where he emphasizes on this wordplay, among a few more, to state that essentially Shiva and Vishnu are but different manifestations of one Almighty. One ought to credit the director, K Vishwanath, along with Ilayaraaja for bringing this little aspect interestingly into the song’s tune and picturization.

On to the song, it is easily one of the finest masterclasses in Indian film music. It starts with Sriranjani (pallavi) and as we go on to the charanam, it changes scales to Hamsanandhi, Vasantha and Lalitha. The soul is intact with the orchestration, with the piano and Mridangam being excellent. All the 4 rAgas are derived by removing panchamam (pa in sa ri ga ma pa dha ni) from their respective parent MeLakarta ragas (Karaharapriya (22nd), Gamanashrama (53rd), Suryakantam (17th) and Mayamalawagowlai (15th) respectively). Pa does seem critical to the shlOka in the prelude. I wonder if IR was playing a mischievous joke by composing the song in ragas (4 of them at that) without Pa. Unbridled genius!"

Quite sure a few of you might have read it. But just resharing here to press on the musical aspects as to why apart from evoking the emotions and sounding musically wonderful on the surface, there is excellent stuff to mine from such songs of IR if we dig deep.

Last edited by Drunkenmunk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 pm

#72 thakida thadhimi (salangai oli, SPB)

Terrific song composed by IR & aced by SPB! VM basically had some "also ran" kind of role in this number, which became immensely popular and never lost the shine!

There are some interesting lines - like "இரவு தோறும் அழுது என் இரண்டு கண்ணும் பழுது" which sweetly suits the sandham / melody. OTOH, there's also school-kid-level stuff like 'என்பேனா- என் பேனா" Laughing
(I'm often reminded of the silly play of boys in school: N-காது, C-காது, K-காது)

There was some interesting dialog among Plum-genesis-V_Sji in the SPB-IR thread of pazhaiya veedu, may provide some entertainment if one has some time...

Would like to quote just one muththu from there :
Plum wrote:
I understand that you guys experienced only the dubbed version and such is the greatness of IR, still feel that it is a masterpiece.
Trust me, the original is 10 times the masterpiece that this is.

And the lyrics, app. Unfortunately, the tamil version has those thaLukki minukki lyrics. Original lyrics are authentic telugu folk, and while light on meaning, are sonorous and tune-apt. The lyricist, probably a spiritual cousin of Vaali, puts in a cheeky reference to "viswanatha palukai". You could take that as a reference to Lord Shiva or the Director.

And that tune itself was a separate song in Sitara(directed by Bharathiraja I think) starring Bhanupriya and Suman. (Kinnera saani vachindhamma)

Actually, this is not as bad as Geethanjali-IT, thanks to the presence of SPB in the tamil version. But once you have heard the original, the dubbed version is literally useless. Definitely the lyrics are a letdown.
Actually the discussion ran for many pages there Smile

Well, for now, let me post the thakida-thadhimi lyrics here along with the youtube:

தகிட ததிமி தகிட ததிமி தந்தானா
இதய ஒலியின் ஜதியில் எனது தில்லானா
இருதயம் அடிக்கடி இறந்தது என்பேனா
என் கதை எழுதிட மறுக்குது என் பேனா
சுதியும் லயமும் ஒன்று சேர

உலக வாழ்க்கை நடனம் நீ ஒப்புக்கொண்ட பயணம்
அது முடியும்போது தொடங்கும் நீ தொடங்கும்போது முடியும்
மனிதன் தினமும் அலையில் அலையும் குமிழி
தெரியும் தெரிந்தும் மனமே கலங்காதிரு நீ
தாளமிங்கு தப்பவில்லை யார் மீதும் தப்பு இல்லை
கால்கள் போன பாதை எந்தன் எல்லை

பழைய ராகம் மறந்து நீ பறந்ததென்ன பிரிந்து
இரவுதோறும் அழுது என் இரண்டு கண்ணும் பழுது
இது ஒரு ரகசிய நாடகமே
அலைகளில் குலுங்கிடும் ஓடம் நானே
பாவமுண்டு பாவமில்லை வாழ்க்கையோடு கோபமில்லை
காதல் என்னைக் காதலிக்க வில்லை

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 pm

#73 vEdham aNuvilum oru nAdham (salangai oli, SPB/SPS)

One more from the famous album that had liberal use of vadamozhi words / phrases included (possibly for the theme as well as lip-sync, must be KV idea and / or borrowed from Telugu originals). Also a lot of swara prayOgam to give a rich classical experience!

This one too came under "plum-scrutiny" in that SPB-IR thread (link in the previous post). Let's catalog the lines here, for varalARu's sake:

வேதம் அணுவிலும் ஒரு நாதம்
நான் பாடும் ராகங்கள் நாதவிநோதம்
சாவின் ஓசை கேட்கும்போதும் பாதம் ஆடாதோ

சங்கீத நாட்டியமே ஒரு யாகம்
தேகங்கள் எரியும் தியாகங்கள் புரியும்
ஆடுகிறேன் இது அமைதியின் கீதம்
ஜீவிதமே ஒரு நாட்டியமாகும்
உயிர் பிரிந்தாலும் நடமிடுவேனே
என்னுயிரைத் தேடுகிறேன் நானே

மாத்ரு தேவோ பவ பித்ரு தேவோ பவ ஆச்சார்ய தேவோ பவ அதிதி தேவோ பவ

எனையாளும் குருவென்ற தெய்வம்
எதிர்வந்து நடமாட வேண்டும்
சலங்கைக்குள் ஒலிதானே வேதம்
சந்நிதானம் இனி உந்தன் பாதம்
நடராஜன் பாதத்தில் தலை சாயுமா
நான் சிந்தும் கண்ணீரும் கரை மீறுமா
கனவிலும் நனவிலும் அழகிய பரதங்கள் ஆடு

The most touching / crucial part in this song is when SPS sings that glorification of mother / father / teacher & guests - mey silirppu stuff (director coolly employs the original there and does not care for any vaira vari Laughing )!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Usha Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 pm

app,

indha thread start anadhum...  2 padam solli irupen.. 1. salangai oli. 2. Aalapana.

dubbing... idhil.. udhadu asaiyum  neram sariyaga iruka vendum. old time paatil...  sambandham ilamal irukum.
anal.. Vairamuthu   lyric.. udhadu asaiyum ... rendum.. konjam match agum....... andha vidhadhil... vairamuthu

konjam better aga seidhu irupar..  ipodhu parkum padam.. nadikum heros, heroines...  indha udhadu asaiyum
timings..   idhu ellam thevai iladha vishayam ipodhu. adhanal.. indha dubbing.. the timings.. perfection.. idhu 
elalm ipodhu yarukum periya vishayamaga thonadhu..

original.. best aga than irukum epodhum.. dubbing il...  orupadi illadha vaarthaigal pottu.. nirapamal..
poruludan.. kadhai.. characater udan.. match seidha vagaiyil.. vairamuthu lyric. nanraga than thoniyadhu enaku.......

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Superb post Drunkenmunk. the clapthe clap Great to read all those nuances. Parvati Pa-Rameshwarau is way too excellent, yes I think I read that in nchokkan's blog.

Great going App ji, already completed 73 songs? Wow! thumbsup Need some time to read all those. Since you reminded of Salangai Oli, it will be hard for me to come out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next