Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

+20
D22_Malar
Sakalakala Vallavar
baroque
crimson king
rajkumarc
fring151
olichudar
Drunkenmunk
Punnaimaran
jaiganesh
Wizzy
sagi
kiru
al_gates
plum
V_S
sheepChase
Usha
app_engine
24 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) Empty Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  app_engine Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 am

Two important things about this thread :

1. This is no VM bashing place
2. While trying to keep things as +ve as possible, as the title indicates, we need to try to get a "balanced view" of what this combo meant for TFM!

Now, let me open this thread by posting about the opening song of this combo:

இது ஒரு பொன் மாலைப்பொழுது
(நிழல்கள், எஸ்.பி.பாலசுப்ரமணியம்)

Here's the youtube (filmed by director Bharathiraja):

I've posted my personal experiences with the song in the SPB-IR thread of the hub sometime back and can be seen here and here !

Here are the pAdal varikaL, testimony to the excellent capabilities of Vairamuthu (courtesy disk.box):

# 52. பாடல் - பொன்மாலைப் பொழுது
திரைப்படம் - நிழல்கள்
இசை - இளையராஜா
பாடியவர்- எஸ்.பி.பாலசுப்ரமணியம்
பாடல்வரிகள் - வைரமுத்து
ஆண்டு - 1980

ஹே! !  ம்!  லல்லல்லா
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
வானமகள் நாணுகிறாள்
வேறு உடை பூணுகிறாள்

இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
ம்ம்ம்ம்ம்ம் ஹே ஹா ஓ ம்ம்ம்ம்ம்

ஆயிரம் நிறங்கள் ஜாலமிடும்
ராத்திரி வாசலில் கோலமிடும்
ஆயிரம் நிறங்கள் ஜாலமிடும்
ராத்திரி வாசலில் கோலமிடும்
வானம் இரவுக்குப் பாலமிடும்
பாடும் பறவைகள் தாளமிடும்
பூமரங்கள் சாமரங்கள்
வீ சா தோ

இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
வானமகள் நாணுகிறாள்
வேறு உடை பூணுகிறாள்

இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது

வானம் எனக்கொரு போதிமரம்
நாளும் எனக்கது சேதி தரும்
வானம் எனக்கொரு போதிமரம்
நாளும் எனக்கது சேதி தரும்
ஒரு நாள் உலகம் நீதி பெறும்
திருநாள் நிகழும் தேதி வரும்
கேள்விகளால் வேள்விகளை
நான் செய்தேன்

இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
வானமகள் நாணுகிறாள்
வேறு உடை பூணுகிறாள்

இது ஒரு
பொன் மாலைப் பொழுது
ஆஆஆஆ ஹே ஹோ ஆ லலலா
ம்ம்ம்ம் ஹே ஹோ ஆ ம்ம்ம்ம்ம்

Last edited by app_engine on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:58 pm; edited 54 times in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  Usha Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Thank u app. nice starts..

Mounamana neram........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XKcU9pOQ4s

Usha

Back to top Go down

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) Empty Re: Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed)

Post  Usha Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Ulaga vaazhkai nadanam nee oppu konda payanam
manidhan thinamum alaiyil alaiyum kumizh neer.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxwTuVBbo8

Usha

Back to top Go down

Post  sheepChase Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

app_e - cheers

Long due, this thread is.

My earliest memory of being in awe of the combo is நாதம் என் ஜீவனே.

More than adequate imagination. The usual sweet play of words - நதிகள் ஜதிகள் பாடுமே. இசையை அருந்தும் சாதகப் பறவை (whatay). சலங்கை விதவையாகிப்போகுமே is beautiful at many levels. The bond between them couldn't have been brought out better.

தேவதை பாதையில் பூவின் ஊர்வலம் / நீ அதில் போவதாய் ஏதோ ஞாபகம். I never get this line. இருந்தும், ஏதோ ஒரு பரவசம் Smile I guess there is some longing hidden behind these lines, not very clear but I love it.

And the clincher of course is ’விழியாகி விடவா?’. I would always quote this line whenever someone talks about Raja and Vairamuththu. Perfect marriage of tune and the words. Little space reserved for him, the meter is already set, yet he registers his presence so strongly, so powerfully. Beyond the fit and meter requirements - the intonation of the tune and the words used beautifully sync.

the lyrics,

நாதம் என் ஜீவனே
வா வா என் தேவனே
உந்தன் ராஜராகம் பாடும் நேரம்
பாறை பாலுருதே பூவும் ஆளானதே!

அமுதகானம் நீதரும் நேரம் நதிகள் ஜதிகள் பாடுமே
விலகிப் போனால் எனது சலங்கை விதவையாகி போகுமே
கண்களில் மெளனமோ கோவில் தீபமே
ராகங்கள் பாடிவா பன்னீர் மேகமே
மார்மீது பூவாகி வீழவா விழியாகி விடவா

இசையை அருந்தும் சாதகப் பறவைப் போல நானும் வாழ்கிறேன்
உறக்கமில்லை எனினும் கண்ணில் கனவு சுமந்து போகிறேன்
தேவதை பாதையில் பூவின் ஊர்வலம்நீ அதில் போவதாய் ஏதோ ஞாபகம்
வெண்ணீரில் நீராடும் கமலம் விலகாது விரகம்

sheepChase

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 am

nanRi UshakkA & AravindMano for reminding some nice songs by this combo!

salangai oli, which was a Thamizh pathippu of the famous Telugu film sAgarasangamam, had all songs written by VM. (1983).

Likewise, kAdhal Oviyam of 1982 had all songs written by VM except the ammA azhagE (by Panju Arunachalam).

Both albums were extremely popular ones in TN for the IR-VM combo and nice to see them getting highlighted here Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:21 am

Now, to do some justice to the thread title, let me include some facts that need to be told here to ground some static electricity (generated by people like Bharathi Raja & Madan Karki)

Like I mentioned in another thread, the media had been always "lamenting" on the saNdai between IR & VM and that way made a mirage that this was the ONLY combo that clicked for IR.

Such propaganda is often flamed by people such as the two I mentioned above (one a staunch VM supporter who was even willing to leave his uyirththOzhan and another who was born to VM in 1980 and hence chooses to play ignorance to things happened prior).

So, it's also my wish that such a "blown-out-of-proportion" thing has to be pricked a little bit (of course, NOM to VM or his strong supporters in the biz / elsewhere).

Fact 1 : Raja was already #1, formidable force in the industry, done ~ 100 films with multiple 100's of patti thotti hits in the 70's, i.e. prior to the arrival of VM in the end of 1980

Fact 2 : Panju Arunachalam wrote most of IR's initial hits and there had been a few penned by kaviyarasar Kannadasan too in the 70's and early 80's that had a large reach in TN

Fact 3 : As can be seen from the IR-GA thread in this forum, there had been huge, huge hits and evergreen songs written by Gangai Amaran (both sophi & folk) in 70's and all-thru 80's - no way any less than the combo of this thread.

Fact 4: The revolutionary / face-changing movies of TF came in 70's as per pundits and VM was yet to arrive. That was the time period of the launch of Mahendran, Bharathiraja and the likes.

Fact 5 : The best movies of Mahendran, muLLum malarum / udhirippookkaL / nenjaththaikkiLLathE / Johny - films that changed the face of TF, had no VM.

Fact 6 : First 5 movies of BR (4 silver jubilee & 1 moderate hit, 16V / KPR / SR / PV & NMP) with hugely popular songs, arrived in the scene before VM.

Fact 7 : Songs of ninaivellAm nithyA stormed VM into the TFM scene as a big force to reckon with. The director was the legendary Sridhar. However, that was his 3rd film with IR. His first two were as big (if not bigger) hit albums - iLamai oonjalAdukiRadhu & azhagE unnai ArAdhikkiREn. Before 1980.

For now, these facts are sufficient to establish that TFM was filled with musically and lyrically rich albums composed by IR before the arrival of VM.

So, VM illAdha rAsA is a mottai gOpuram is simbly agenda driven nonsense by BR.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 am

As an appendix to the earlier posted list of facts, let's add some related to MR...

1. Maniratnam's first Thamizh film, pagal nilavu of 1985, didn't have VM but GA penned all songs (poomAlaiyE Engum iru thOL sEra vA is popular even now).
2. The movie that made him a big force, mouna rAgam, had all songs written by Vaali. No VM. (1986)
3. MR-Kamal combo movie - the legendary nAyakan - had all songs by Pulamaippiththan except nilA adhu which was by IR himself. No VM. (1987)
4. MR's other rocket / elevator movies - agni natchathiram, anjali, thaLabathi, dubbed idhayathai thirudAthE - all had Vaali doing the job. Songs evergreen, popular, landmark albums etc.

The only IR-MR movie that happened to have VM was idhayakkOvil (one song, nAn pAdum mounarAgam), movie that MR considers to be his career-worst Embarassed

So, IR-MR combo had no big contribution from VM to write about!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am

VM's azhagiyal related to nature is easily among the best in TFM (IR or non-IR).

He started early in this regard (actually in his very first song):

வானமகள் நாணுகிறாள்
வேறு உடை பூணுகிறாள்

What a lovely imagination to describe the evening! I'm a big lover of sunsets and this vividly brings them to mind!
Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) 3567157544

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm working on a (crude) English translation of 'idhu oru ponmAlaippozhudhu'...will post it once ready Smile

Two criteria that I'm working with :

a) as literal translation as possible

b) fitting exactly to the existing melody (Translated matter for Thamizh meter)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 pm

OK, my crude version is below and I request other readers to PLEASE POST YOUR VERSIONS...it's really fun to translate songs Laughing

"idhu oru pon mAlaippozhudhu" in English :

===========
Golden ev'ning time
'Tis a golden ev'ning time

Skies are blushing
Like a beautiful girl
Clothing afresh
Like a gorgeous doll

===========
Magic is done by hues a thousand
Night's picture falls on doorstep aground
Heavens are building bridge to the night
Rhythms by singing birds on the flight

Trees of blossom, won't they breeze them, on the throne?

===========
Skies to me are like tree of knowledge
Teaching me each day with new message
Day of judgement will hit the world
Date of festive news will be told

Sacrifices, great I'll offer, by questions!

===========

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:27 pm

If one goes thru the vinyl covers of all IR films of 1980 (and otherwise web resources for lyricists), I could spot only one other movie where VM wrote (i.e apart from the 'idhu oru ponmAlaippozhudhu' song).

It was 'soolam'. That disk had four songs - nAn dEvadhai, nee sigappu, Julie & soolam.

'nAn dEvadhai, dEvadhai vAzhvadhE dEvalOgam theriyumA' was the most-heard number on radio and it is credited to Kavingar (Kannadasan). 'nee sigappu, nAn karuppu' - I've never heard this song before - was written by Pulamaippiththan.

The other two are credited to Vairamuthu.

Of those, I've never heard before the "Julie - innaikku nee kAli" ...it's a dappAnguththu goes like 'poonakkaNNu Julie, pottu vachcha neeli', sung by MV. Nothing big to write about the song.

The last one, 'soolam...soolam...peN mAnam kAkkum engaL soolam, thanmAnam thAnE engaL vEdham' is the VM song that I've heard a few times on radio.

Once again, not much to write about this number (lyrics or otherwise).

Accordingly, the ONLY famous song for the much-written-about IR-VM combo, for the year 1980, was 'idhu oru ponmAlaippozhudhu'.

That year is considered as a phenomenal one in IR's career (innovation, melody, success - what not) by connoisseurs of TFM.

Please ask anyone who was of 'vivaram therinja vayasu' in the year 1980 and also followed TFM.

Just to emphasize my point, let me throw in some album names : Johny, nenjaththaik kiLLAdhE, kallukkuL eeram, moodupani, nizhalgaL, iLamaikkOlam, ullAsappaRavaigaL, guru, grAmaththu aththiyAyam, anbukku nAn adimai, murattukkALai, kALi, karumbu vil, poottAdha poottukkaL, rishi moolam, nadhiyaiththEdi vandha kadal...

The sheer variety is mind-boggling, one has to listen to these albums available in thiraippAdal to appreciate the grandeur...

With one more post, I'll be done with the year 1980 for the IR-VM combo...others please feel free to throw in your opinions on the nizhalgaL song (or any other song of this combo as it strikes you) Smile

That post will mainly focus on "பூமரங்கள் சாமரங்கள் வீசாதோ"...Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Balance sheet (as posted in twitter):

Sum of IR-VM:

1. No VM when IR became top (1976-1979)

2. < 2% in 1980

3. 1981-86 yet to be analysed

4. No VM with IR in 1987 or later

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Thought of getting the list of films VM worked with IR for the record. Again this is list of films only and not all songs from this list were written by VM. I have got a total of 112 films. Please add if I missed any films. Listing not in particular order (but atleast should be year-wise 80-90%). If we take an average of 3 songs per film it comes to 336, if 4 songs per film (which is a big ask, still) it comes to 448. Out of 5000 songs, it is hardly 9-10%.
1 nizhalgal
2 pudhu kavithai
3 rani theni
4 thooral ninnu pochu
5 vaalibame vaa vaa
6 aarathanai
7 alaigal oiyvathillai
8 echil iravugal
9 raaja paarvai
10 magane magane
11 moonram pirai
12 ninaivellam nithya
13 nizhal thEdum nenjangal
14 payanangal mudivathillai
15 salangai oli
16 thangamadi thangam
17 ullam uruguthadi
18 uyire unakkaaga
19 aagaya gangai
20 eera vizhi kaaviyangal
21 gopurangal saaiyvathillai
22 kaadhal Oviyam
23 kanne raadha
24 kozhi koovuthu
25 malargal nanaikindrana
26 malayoor mambattiyaan
27 mann vaasanai
28 mella pesungal
29 muthu engal sothu
30 oru odai nathiyaagirathu
31 raagangal maaruvathillai
32 salangai oli
33 aanandha kummi
34 aayiram nilave vaa
35 devi sridevi
36 ilamai kaalangal
37 indru nee naalai naan
38 inimai itho itho
39 jothi
40 kann sivanthaal mann sivakkum
41 kokkarakko
42 pozhuthu vidinchaachu
43 puthumai pen
44 raaja gopuram
45 sanga naadham
46 unnai naan santhiththen
47 vaazhkai
48 mudivalla aarambam
49 naalai unathu naal
50 nee thodum pothu
51 neengal kettavai
52 neram nalla neram
53 nilavu suduvathillai
54 nooraavathu naal
55 oh maane maane
56 poovilangu
57 anbe odi vaa
58 anbulla malare
59 dhaavani kanavugal
60 enakkul oruvan
61 ingeyum oru gangai
62 kairaasikkaaran
63 komberi mookkan
64 poove poochoodavaa
65 puthiya theerpu
66 sindhu bhairavi
67 thendrale ennai thodu
68 udhaya geetham
69 un kannil neer vazhinthaal
70 unnai thedi varuven
71 urimai
72 eetti
73 ambigai neril vanthaal
74 mudhal mariyaathai
75 naan sigappu manithan
76 nalla thambi
77 neethiyin marupakkam
78 oru kaidhiyin diary
79 paadum paravaigal
80 padikkaathavan
81 pillai nila
82 anbin mugavari
83 andha oru nimidam
84 chinna veedu
85 geethanjali
86 hello yaar pesarathu
87 idhaya kovil
88 japanil kalyanaraman
89 kanni raasi
90 kanna thorakkanum saami
91 meendum parasakthi
92 saadhanai
93 salangayil oru sangeetham
94 thaaikku oru thaalaattu
95 unakkaagave vaazhgiren
96 vikram
97 aan paavam
98 manithanin marupakkam
99 maragatha veenai
100 natpu
101 neethaana andha kuyil
102 paaru paaru pattanam paaru
103 pudhir
104 sirai paravai
105 thooraththu pachchai
106 dharma paththini
107 isai paadum thendral
108 kadalora kavithaigal
109 kaadhal geetham
110 sippikkul muthu
111 punnagai mannan

Last edited by V_S on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm

idhula oNNE oNNu dhAn absolutely undebatable lyrical masterpiece - mudhal mariyAdhai. one out of 6 NA for VM. The only deserving one

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm

want to listen to anodyne VM songs and create the kalaacharam of naming and shaming his mundane ones like Valli gets rapped for maane thene

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:52 pm

பூமரங்கள் சாமரங்கள் வீசாதோ?

பாடலில் கேட்க மட்டுமல்ல, வாழ்க்கையில் அனுபவிக்கவும் சுகமான வரி இது! வசந்த காலத்தில் (அல்லது இலையுதிர் காலத்தில்) மரங்கள் அடர்ந்த வனம் அல்லது பூங்காவில் நடக்கும்பொழுது கிட்டும் சுகம் வார்த்தைகளில் அடக்க முடியாதது! அதிலும் சிறிதே வெப்பமான பகல் பொழுது விடை பெற்றுக்கொள்ளும் அந்தி வேளையில் தென்றல் தரும் மென்மை சொல்லில் அடங்காதது!

'சொல்லில் அடங்காது'ன்னா அப்புறம் எதற்கு இந்தப்பதிப்பு?

சென்ற வார இறுதியின் நீண்ட பயணத்தில் ஒரு நிகழ்வு!

'ஒஹையோ டர்ன்பைக்'கில் நடு இரவில் வண்டியில் எல்லோரும் உறங்க நான் மட்டும் சாரதிப்பணி செய்கையில், ஒரு மணி நேரத்தை இந்த "சாமரம் வீசுதல்" பற்றிய சிந்தனை ஆண்டு கொண்டது. அதை சொல்லியே ஆக வேண்டும்!

பெரிதாய் ஒன்றுமில்லை - "மணிக்கணக்காய் அரசனுக்கு சாமரம் வீசும் பெண்களுக்குக் கைவலி வந்திருக்காதா? ஐயோ பாவம்!" என்ற திடீர் போதிமர யோசனை Smile

மனதில் அந்த ஓவியம் - அரண்மனையின் கொலுவறையில் மன்னர் மணிக்கணக்காய் அலுவல் செய்யும் பொழுது அலுக்காமல் வீசிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் அழகிய பெண்டிர்!

நான்கு மணி நேரம் விடாது வீசினால் அந்தத் தளிர்க்கரங்கள் என்னாவது?

ஒரே ஒரு மன்னன் முரசுக்கட்டிலில் படுத்து உறங்கிய மோசி கீரனாருக்கு சாமரம் வீசினதை இன்று வரை புலவர்கள் கொண்டாடுகின்றனர். ஆனால், எத்தனை அரசர்களுக்கு எத்தனை விசிறினிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள்? பெயரிலிகள்! அவர்களும் மனித இனத்தில் வந்த, சதையும் குருதியும் சிந்தனையும் உணர்வுகளும் கனவுகளும் எல்லாம் இருந்தோர் தானே?

இப்படியெல்லாம் பைத்தியக்காரன் போல ஒரு சிந்தனைப்போக்கு!

அவர்களது கரங்கள் வாள்பிடிக்கும் வீரர்கள் போல், பரியோடும் வல்லவர்கள் போல் வலிமை கொண்டிருக்கும் (அல்லது பயிற்சியால் அடைந்திருக்கும்) என்றெல்லாம் மனம் சமாதானம் சொன்னது.

மெல்ல மனம் பள்ளிக்காலத்துக்குத் தாவியது.

மின்விசிறி இல்லாத நாட்டுப்புற வாழ்வு. அப்படி ஒரு கருவி இல்லை என்பது குறையாகவே தோன்றாத நாட்கள் - மரங்களுக்கும், தென்றலுக்கும் குறைவில்லை என்பதால்!

கதவுகளும், சன்னல்களும் அடைக்காமல் உறங்கிய காலம் - காற்று இயற்கையாக வந்த தருணங்கள்!

நகர்ப்புறத்தில் வாழ்ந்த பாட்டனார் வீட்டுக்கு விடுமுறைக்குச் சென்ற நினைவுகள் - அவர்கள் வீட்டிலும் மின்விசிறி இல்லாத காலம்! வெம்மை தடுக்க வேம்பு வீட்டின் முன் இருந்தாலும், வேனல் காலத்தில் காற்றில்லாமல் வீட்டினுள் இருப்பது கடினம். தென்னை ஓலை, பனை ஓலை விசிறிகள் கொண்டு தமக்குத்தாமே சாமரம் வீசுவது என்றும் காணும் நிகழ்வு!

அப்படி ஒரு வேனலில் சித்திக்கு முதுகலைத் தேர்வு நேரம். பாவம், வியர்க்கூறு எல்லாம் வந்து துன்புறும் அவரைப்பார்க்க இந்த ஆறாம் வகுப்புப்பையனுக்கு வந்தது இரக்க உணர்வு! அவர் படிக்கும்போது சாமரம் வீசத்தூண்டியது Smile

கொஞ்ச நேரத்திலேயே கொஞ்சம் கைவலி. ஆனாலும் ஒப்புக்கொள்ள மறுக்கும் பெருமை / வீம்பு! வீசி, வீசி சில மணி நேரங்கள்...பின் உறங்கிப்போனது நினைவில் இருக்கிறது Smile

இப்படியாக சாமரம் வீசுதல் ஓரிரு வாரங்கள் செய்த முன் அனுபவம்...மனது அந்தக்காலங்களை எல்லாம் அசை போட்டது...

பாடல் வரி என்றால் இப்படி அல்லவா இருக்க வேண்டும்?

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Tweeted a correction on the IR-VM summary :

Correction to IR-VM summary : VM did have a few songs in 1987 (residual effect may be). siRaippaRavai by Manobala an e.g. (No hit songs)

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  al_gates Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm

app_engine wrote:
Golden ev'ning time

Skies are blushing
Like a beautiful girl
Clothing afresh
Like a gorgeous doll

===========
Magic is done by hues a thousand
Night's picture falls on doorstep aground
Heavens are building bridge to the night
Rhythms by singing birds on the flight

Trees of blossom, won't they breeze them, on the throne?

===========
Skies to me are like tree of knowledge
Teaching me each day with new message
Day of judgement will hit the world
Date of festive news will be told

Sacrifices, great I'll offer, by questions!

===========

Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) 2798411019 Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) 2798411019 Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) 2798411019

Memorizing this now....will rehearse during office commutes so that I perfect it for the weekend drives. Ilayaraja & Vairamuthu Combo - Checks & Balances (198 hits processed) 3440511317

al_gates

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 am

al_gates,
Smile
Please post an alternate version Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Sorry about my "closure" of 1980 Embarassed as I'll have to post some more history related to the "lyrics scene" for that time period.

By 1980, IR was well established as the top composer but MSV continued to have a lot of hit movies / songs. Shankar-Ganesh too had their hits and niche. And we had a lot of arguments those days as to who was big, who got more compensation etc all the time.

Quite often the DHMSVFs will indulge in attack of lyrics of IR songs. Though IR had his share of excellent numbers by KD et al, the bigger patti-thotti hits were themmAngu style songs (because of their mass-catchy-nature) and we had to do defensive play quite often.

The anti-IR group got a terrific boost in 1980 via "oru thalai rAgam", the runaway hit of TR. He did write some terrific "virakthi" poem (vAsamillA malaridhu, kuzhandhai pAdum thAlAttu, nAn oru rAsi illA rAjA, en kadhai mudiyum nEramidhu, kalai izhandha mAdaththilE muhAri rAgam - all sad & philosophical stuff that pleased anti-IR group). He also got the fun stuff covered by 'manmadhan ratchikkanum' & 'koodaiyila karuvAdu' that matched the popularity of IR's patti-thotti hits.

So, there arrived a saviour for all anti-IR groups, supposedly with both mass & class, as a trump card to ridicule us.

Because we were always "orch-focus" fellows, and we remembered IR's ludes more than the songs' words, quite often we argued only about such instrumental innovations and carefully avoided the lyrical-part-related attacks, as if they weren't related to songs / music Laughing

It was under such circumstances Vairamuthu arrived as an alliance to rAsA! With his unique style of word play and at times shocking phrases (somewhat rebellious or with explicit pAluRavu stuff), he proved to be the one we were looking for to defend such 'lyric-based-attacks-on-rAsA'.

In a way, VM's novelties were our answer to "attack-on-IR-songs'-lyrics-by-anti-IR-gumbals" and those got quoted quite often. Thus it paved the way for him getting noticed a lot more than others like GA, though they continued to write great songs for rAsA.

Since we were not meticulously tracking "who-wrote-what-song" those days, within a few months of VM's arrival, we started automatically attaching his name to "ANY-GOOD-SONG-OF-IR" Embarassed Like 'putham pudhukkAlai' of AO. And songs of 'panneer pushpangaL' which came during the same period as AO in 1981. I'm painfully learning from musicalaya.net site's vinyl covers NOW that not all such numbers were by VM...

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 pm

ok, time to move on to 1981 - the year that made VM a mainstay!

BR had to quickly do something to get back his successful-director status. After his first 5 biggies, he did two disasters (one as mERpArvai / acting - kallukkuL eeram & then directing nizhalgaL).

He got the refreshingly sweet Karthik-Radha pair in the first movie production of IR family. alaigaL Oyvathillai.

VM wrote terrific songs for that movie, though not all of them except GA's kappakkizhangu as I always thought before Embarassed

Let's get the listing first and slowly chew on the aesthetics of those numbers.

1. dharisanam kidaikkAdhA

2. Ayiram thAmarai mottukkaLE

3. vizhiyil vizhundhu idhayam nuzhaindhu

(GA wrote kappakkizhangu & puththam pudhukkAlai, Panju wrote kAdhal Oviyam pAdum kAviyam, IR wrote vAzhvellAm Anandhame...rest were from traditional classical sources)

Last edited by app_engine on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  2040 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:09 pm

app_engine wrote:பூமரங்கள் சாமரங்கள் வீசாதோ?

பாடலில் கேட்க மட்டுமல்ல, வாழ்க்கையில் அனுபவிக்கவும் சுகமான வரி இது! வசந்த காலத்தில் (அல்லது இலையுதிர் காலத்தில்) மரங்கள் அடர்ந்த வனம் அல்லது பூங்காவில் நடக்கும்பொழுது கிட்டும் சுகம் வார்த்தைகளில் அடக்க முடியாதது! அதிலும் சிறிதே வெப்பமான பகல் பொழுது விடை பெற்றுக்கொள்ளும் அந்தி வேளையில் தென்றல் தரும் மென்மை சொல்லில் அடங்காதது!

'சொல்லில் அடங்காது'ன்னா அப்புறம் எதற்கு இந்தப்பதிப்பு?

சென்ற வார இறுதியின் நீண்ட பயணத்தில் ஒரு நிகழ்வு!

'ஒஹையோ டர்ன்பைக்'கில் நடு இரவில் வண்டியில் எல்லோரும் உறங்க நான் மட்டும் சாரதிப்பணி செய்கையில், ஒரு மணி நேரத்தை இந்த "சாமரம் வீசுதல்" பற்றிய சிந்தனை ஆண்டு கொண்டது. அதை சொல்லியே ஆக வேண்டும்!

பெரிதாய் ஒன்றுமில்லை - "மணிக்கணக்காய் அரசனுக்கு சாமரம் வீசும் பெண்களுக்குக் கைவலி வந்திருக்காதா? ஐயோ பாவம்!" என்ற திடீர் போதிமர யோசனை Smile

மனதில் அந்த ஓவியம் - அரண்மனையின் கொலுவறையில் மன்னர் மணிக்கணக்காய் அலுவல் செய்யும் பொழுது அலுக்காமல் வீசிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் அழகிய பெண்டிர்!

நான்கு மணி நேரம் விடாது வீசினால் அந்தத் தளிர்க்கரங்கள் என்னாவது?

ஒரே ஒரு மன்னன் முரசுக்கட்டிலில் படுத்து உறங்கிய மோசி கீரனாருக்கு சாமரம் வீசினதை இன்று வரை புலவர்கள் கொண்டாடுகின்றனர். ஆனால், எத்தனை அரசர்களுக்கு எத்தனை விசிறினிகள் இருந்திருக்கிறார்கள்? பெயரிலிகள்! அவர்களும் மனித இனத்தில் வந்த, சதையும் குருதியும் சிந்தனையும் உணர்வுகளும் கனவுகளும் எல்லாம் இருந்தோர் தானே?

இப்படியெல்லாம் பைத்தியக்காரன் போல ஒரு சிந்தனைப்போக்கு!

அவர்களது கரங்கள் வாள்பிடிக்கும் வீரர்கள் போல், பரியோடும் வல்லவர்கள் போல் வலிமை கொண்டிருக்கும் (அல்லது பயிற்சியால் அடைந்திருக்கும்) என்றெல்லாம் மனம் சமாதானம் சொன்னது.

மெல்ல மனம் பள்ளிக்காலத்துக்குத் தாவியது.

மின்விசிறி இல்லாத நாட்டுப்புற வாழ்வு. அப்படி ஒரு கருவி இல்லை என்பது குறையாகவே தோன்றாத நாட்கள் - மரங்களுக்கும், தென்றலுக்கும் குறைவில்லை என்பதால்!

கதவுகளும், சன்னல்களும் அடைக்காமல் உறங்கிய காலம் - காற்று இயற்கையாக வந்த தருணங்கள்!

நகர்ப்புறத்தில் வாழ்ந்த பாட்டனார் வீட்டுக்கு விடுமுறைக்குச் சென்ற நினைவுகள் - அவர்கள் வீட்டிலும் மின்விசிறி இல்லாத காலம்! வெம்மை தடுக்க வேம்பு வீட்டின் முன் இருந்தாலும், வேனல் காலத்தில் காற்றில்லாமல் வீட்டினுள் இருப்பது கடினம். தென்னை ஓலை, பனை ஓலை விசிறிகள் கொண்டு தமக்குத்தாமே சாமரம் வீசுவது என்றும் காணும் நிகழ்வு!

அப்படி ஒரு வேனலில் சித்திக்கு முதுகலைத் தேர்வு நேரம். பாவம், வியர்க்கூறு எல்லாம் வந்து துன்புறும் அவரைப்பார்க்க இந்த ஆறாம் வகுப்புப்பையனுக்கு வந்தது இரக்க உணர்வு! அவர் படிக்கும்போது சாமரம் வீசத்தூண்டியது Smile

கொஞ்ச நேரத்திலேயே கொஞ்சம் கைவலி. ஆனாலும் ஒப்புக்கொள்ள மறுக்கும் பெருமை / வீம்பு! வீசி, வீசி சில மணி நேரங்கள்...பின் உறங்கிப்போனது நினைவில் இருக்கிறது Smile

இப்படியாக சாமரம் வீசுதல் ஓரிரு வாரங்கள் செய்த முன் அனுபவம்...மனது அந்தக்காலங்களை எல்லாம் அசை போட்டது...

பாடல் வரி என்றால் இப்படி அல்லவா இருக்க வேண்டும்?

nice tidbits abt saamaram... for ur communist feelings, here is the answer:
ஒளி வீசுக சூரியனே யுகம் மாறுது வாலிபனே
ஒரு தோல்வியில்லா புது வேள்வியினால் இனி சோதனை தீர்ந்து விடும்
சில ஆயிரம் ஆயிரம் சூரிய தீபங்கள் பூமியில் தோன்றி விடும்
அட சாமரம் வீசிய பாமர ஜாதிகள் சாதனை கண்டு விடும்

i was introduced to this song only 10 yrs back, but this is the most powerful song for me... which i hear whenever i am in anger...

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

nanRi 2040, for reminding that awesome song from 'kaN sivandhAl maN sivakkum'...came during my college days Smile

(BTW, I've tweeted those two relevant lines Smile )

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Nice thoughts and excellent write-up App ji on பூமரங்கள் சாமரங்கள் வீசாதோ! the clap True words.

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Can we say VM's style of lyrics is - Impressionism (vs Classicism of KD) ?

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next