Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concerts of Raaja

+42
raagakann
counterpoint
irir123
nambik
V_S
irfan123
soco_sri
ank
panniapurathar
baroque
mayilSK
mythila
crimson king
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
fring151
Usha
vicks
D22_Malar
mavurundai
layman10
sheepChase
Raaga_Suresh
jaiganesh
rajkumarc
Sanjeevi
Karthikeyan
writeface
groucho070
Sakalakala Vallavar
SenthilVinu
equanimus
kiru
Admin
kameshratnam
Wizzy
kv
skr
Bala (Karthik)
plum
app_engine
sagi
46 posters

Page 12 of 24 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next

Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 Empty Re: Concerts of Raaja

Post  plum Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Dont know if grouch is still reading this.

koduthAn pAruyyA malaysian crowdukku oru character lifttu kArthikEyan

I didnt notice but apparently, without the need to request, the crowd maintained with no hooting, dancing(even after being requested by singers to dance).

kettavannu nenaicha hero ezhaingaLukku udhavuRadhai pAththu manam mARum heroine mAdhiri, malaysia tamizhannAlE iLappamA(except grouch) ninaichukittirundha enakku oru counter example..

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Day 2 was lot better,more of studio singers please.
on song selection is KR a Hassar fan?  Suspect 
all through goltu bugger Mano kept saying 'Isai Naani'  Evil or Very Mad 
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

idhula ungaLa heroyini yAvum Malaysian crowd a hero aavum nenachu pAthA appidiyE Thilla MoganAmbAL la varra Sivaji Ganesan'ayum Padmini'yayum pAtha mAdhiriyE irukku Razz
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

http://raajasongadaykeepsboredomaway.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Again missed most of today's show. Caught only yuvan's macabre massacre of kAdhal kasakkudhayya and SPB's typically awesome Ilamai idhO idhO. I haven't searched for videos of the show online but if any of you have it handy, please do post them here. Nandri hai.

And can someone pls post that eargasmic -1 (voiceless) track of ilamai idho idho? That bass and solo-violin... ppaaah! noteworthy 
Craving to listen to that voiceless track now!

(thumburu  -  pls check pm)
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:20 pm

kv wrote: And can someone pls post that eargasmic -1 (voiceless) track of ilamai idho idho? That bass and solo-violin... ppaaah! noteworthy 

aahaa KV, I am currently feasting on it forcing parents to listen as thookam avargaL kaNgaLai thazhuva thazhuva. And as I was thinking of sharing it here, you ask. Here: https://soundcloud.com/nagsnathan/whats-the-meaning-of-iconic Guitar koppuLikkudhu, kondhaLikkudhu. The best part of this song is audible only in the -1 track and that's how epic the song is. That chord change in the charanam with the trumpet going up and down the octaves. Trying hard to control an abusive praise.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks, munk!
Towards the end of the charanams where the solo violin kicks and does that 'minor-ish' variation the 2nd time and things ending in a little drum-roll! :pullarips: And this being staff-notations to sound with probably no jamming! :arAjagam:

BTW, is this some actual,studio-version -1 track or something a fan has created playing around with the original?
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 pm

kv wrote:BTW, is this some actual,studio-version -1 track or something a fan has created playing around with the original?

This must be the version on the LP record / cassette.

rAsA happily released it those days and all the cassette recording centers used it as the "filler track" to end the cassette Smile

I've heard it many times on buses those days!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm

app_engine wrote:
kv wrote:BTW, is this some actual,studio-version -1 track or something a fan has created playing around with the original?

This must be the version on the LP record / cassette.

rAsA happily released it those days and all the cassette recording centers used it as the "filler track" to end the cassette Smile

I've heard it many times on buses those days!

Yes. Actual LP cassette version. Original in all its glory minus the lead melody. And the -1 >> Actual lead melody.  noteworthy 
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Oh, thanks for the info, guys. Deadly is thy name, Raaja!
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  Drunkenmunk Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Also, adhu solo violin aa? naan adha dhaan trumpet nu nenachukittu irukkEn, pOttEn inga  Embarassed wow it sounds so trumpetish to me.
Drunkenmunk
Drunkenmunk

Back to top Go down

Post  kv Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Trumpet aa? I've always thought it was solo-violin. The electric violin does have a 'trumpetish' tone to it (pretty evident in NEPV title track). This one, I'm guessing, is an acoustic violin, probably mixed to sound a bit more funkier (I might be wrong, though).
kv
kv

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 am

Drunkenmunk wrote:idhula ungaLa heroyini yAvum Malaysian crowd a hero aavum nenachu pAthA appidiyE Thilla MoganAmbAL la varra Sivaji Ganesan'ayum Padmini'yayum pAtha mAdhiriyE irukku Razz
Ha ha LOl. Well caught my point...irundhAlum andha malaysia pimpai oru muRai nenaichukittA manasula malasia makkaL mEla vandha kAdhal apdiyE baloon mAdhiri vedichurumla...

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:04 am

kv wrote:Again missed most of today's show. Caught only yuvan's macabre massacre of kAdhal kasakkudhayya and SPB's typically awesome Ilamai idhO idhO. I haven't searched for videos of the show online but if any of you have it handy, please do post them here. Nandri hai.

And can someone pls post that eargasmic -1 (voiceless) track of ilamai idho idho? That bass and solo-violin... ppaaah! noteworthy 

(thumburu  -  pls check pm)
indha kAla youthukku Yuvan shankar pAttirukkAmE...Anirudh dhAnE..YuvanlAm 10 years back youthuku dhAnE?

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:45 am

i had no idea it was a three part show, caught only yesterday's. With due respect, enna satham was Kolaveri. Some mistakes by orchestra. It was as if they were having a field day in his absence. Loved metti oli performance, nice to hear vasu.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 am

Wizzy wrote:KL concert is on TV, gawd how much difference one man could make, teacherless classroom, from orchestra to singers and U1 for Thendral Vanthu , kill me now..naarasam will be an understatement, props to the crowd for their patience/not resorting to riots noteworthy the clap
ha ha, teacherless classroom, well said. Er,no wonder he likes to work with BSO now. India doesn't deserve a composer of Ilayaraja's calibre.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 am

Just caught the 2nd day telecast of the KL concert. Skipped most performances and watched it mainly for the anecdotes. And thanks Jaya TV for not dumbing it down. A Star Vijay would not even have allowed Raaja to invoke Beethoven's movements for one. Jaya and Subhasree, the only torchbearers of Raaja in the TV media.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:27 am

^^^  Loved the anecdotes.  Interesting that charanam of Poove Ilayapoove was born out of a lullaby.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Worthy read in the old place, by rajaramsgi, a rarity there nowadays

Last edited by app_engine on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:22 am

app_engine wrote: Worthy read in the old place, by rajaramsgi, a rarity there nowadays

the clap indeed. I always felt the prelude and interludes of Anandha rAgam had touches of of Beethoven's 5th!! Good to hear confirmation from the man himself. Can't place Tchaikovsky in there though. Would love to see his piano demos . Youtube il vandhadhukku apram yAravdhu inga link share pannidunga....

fring151

Back to top Go down

Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 Empty King of Kings

Post  mythila Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Day 1 - The damage was done by Raja pamily taking charge of the microphone.
Even though malar had prepared me for their vocal onslaught, hearing them live, mercilessly mauling some of Raja's classics like Janani janani, Amma endru , thendral vandhu made me cringe with embarrassment in front of my relatives who were merrily blaming Raja for the fiasco. Day 2 had better songs and better singers like Uma Ramanan, Haricharan, AlAp Raju . SPB had some tough time with "vaan pOle", "en kaNmaNi" , esp the latter due to Mano. He
 was in his elements in beatsy songs like "vanithamani","iLamai idho", "vaa vaa pakkam vaa", Mano's compering in Jaya tv hogged a good amount of time and except for the Raja episodes, the rest was blade O blade . pinna enna? repeatedly asking every Tom the most irritating question , "how did you feel singing Raja songs?". How I wished Jaya tv crew threw more spotlightt on Raja's old war horses like Napoleoan , Prabakar , Sada and many others on the orchestra , rather than close up of only the singers! ArAkkum andha mottai white and white conductor mAmA??

Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 ProgressConcerts of Raaja - Page 12 ClearEdit Post   Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 ClearReply   Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 ClearReply With Quote   Concerts of Raaja - Page 12 Multiquote_40b    

mythila

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Have they played , 'Tendral vanthu teendum pothu' part yet ? This song was the no.1 song, picked by the listeners in a contest held by the local Tamil radio station. In the concert it was sung by U1 & Chitra. Yes, brace yourselves people.. He single ''voicely'' butchered the whole song, in a way you could only imagine, and he even said that he didn't practice much, at the end of the song. My best guess was, it was probably was for IR himself to present the song, but since he couldn't make it ..the mic was handed over to IR's ilaya magan. His (IR) presence was immensely missed, of course there can never be a substitute for our man on the stage. Alot of last minute changes were very much visible. In a way I can forgive them for that. All said and sung and played, the big, greedy monster in me is grinning, hoping that IR will come to Msia in a near time, hopefully....hope...fully....
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 pm

They did show Kadhal Kasakkudhayya with Yuvan and Premji taking up the honours in kolaveri.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Kathal kasakkuthaiya was at the end of the concert, it wad followed with a medley of songs. One thing I noticed, U1, premg, VP were not given much space though, they sang 1 song each, and U1 has a huge youth fan following here. In a way it was a consolation that they didn't turn the event in to a travesty.
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 pm

KL Concert videos:

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  sagi Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:32 pm

One thing that I personally did not like w.r.to the anecdotes.

1. There was only one occasion in which SPB sang with 100% precision.
2. SJ needs to be spoonfed. And she will give about 90%
3. Malaysia is a SPB-replacement.

Now, I don't have any problems with the above statements because the person saying them is Raaja, of course.

But this one, "If Aaasaaji does not like the structure of my composition, I will change it". I mean WTF! அவிங்க என்ன அவ்ளோ பெரிய்ய ஆளா? With my very limited knowledge on her songs, I don't find her better than a SJ.

sagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 24 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 24  Next