Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

+32
groucho070
Punnaimaran
Shank
mayilSK
Bala (Karthik)
vicks
kv
Sakalakala Vallavar
sagi
rajkumarc
writeface
kamalaakarsh
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
D22_Malar
Balu
mythila
baroque
rajaclan
ravinat
Raaga_Suresh
irir123
irfan123
jaiganesh
Drunkenmunk
Wizzy
kiru
crimson king
V_S
fring151
Usha
plum
app_engine
36 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 21 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  app_engine Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Somebody shared this link in twitter and I've read it for the first time today:
1993 pudhiya kalAchchAram article re-published in vinavu in 2010

Since the original printed article supposedly appeared in 1993, the portions related to Symphony #1 are obviously "dated". However, there are some interesting portions in the article about rAsA.

BTW, Amudhavan angEyum pOyi oru comment pOtturukkAr - ennE oru latchiyam / kadamai uNarvu Laughing

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 21 Empty Re: Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2

Post  irfan123 Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:29 am

app_engine wrote:I too don't want to attach any agenda to BRangan, even though I suggested it Laughing

However, 3 sins by him in the recent past :

1. Calling IR outdated (that NEPV interview with Gautam)

2. Calling ARR the best in "harmony" in the country Shocked

3. Bracketing IR with RDB and confining him to FM's classics-only area.

I don't care if he certifies IR as a great-80's-composer. (Even milliblog Karthi certifies IR that way)

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8181-Yuvan-Shankar-Raja-News-amp-Updates/page59

Even though it is unrelated to IR topic check my above post. Not sure if you feel the trend of TFM is changing back to old days. i.e Every tea kadai or masses had hindi songs popularity IR came and changed everything and made to turn the earns towards tamil songs.. In relation to this context i am wondering what will happen after IR period. cant even imagine and feel sad  Crying or Very sad

I am reproducing the post here....

Listen to how "ratham sindhi" is pronounced and repeatedly "mariyean naan" that naaan is pronounced.
When i heard yuvan sings for ARR and heard kadalrasa first time i just stopped the song after that pronounciation. That pronounciation of naan and backing of instruments make me imagine it is simply like a arabic/hindustani song.

we know ilayaraja gives importance to how lyrics are rendered and usage of instruments. He has experimented so much to anyone's imagination and always his music we can relate that we are hearing a tamil song.

yuvan raja all these years had his own style never preaching any religion. music direction was his passion.
Will he continue to do that? I think that's what tamil fans are worried about and getting frustrated.

Listen to all ARR songs in early years and all his most recent years. Most recent years will have pronounciation rendering of lyrics backed by instruments to give you a feel that it is somewhat Arabic/hindustani tone. Sadly that alienates me even though i want to listen to a tamil song. I never felt in any of yuvan songs eg: take oru kal oru kannadi song his own.
To me i wonder now what will happen to new yuvan's usage of instruments and rendering of lyrics. Have to wait and see he sticks to his own style how he used to be.

ARR was asked in recent interview how he gave unique beats to Rangeela without knowing hindi. after explaining he ended "when one respects a culture and language, it will show up in their work". thats the reason we did not have a feeling that it is like a hindi song or rendering of instruments did not give that feel. But over the years it has changed.

Having said that art should be kept for enjoyment or how we always listen to yuvan's songs but once it mingles with slight tone of arabic/hindustani the nativity is lost. That's sad.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/h...cle/89846.html

Here's the extract of what ARR said during KadalRasa release..
"Music wizard Rahman has remarked that he made contemporary music director (and his closest competitor to the top slot) Yuvan Shankar Raja sing a song(kadal Raasa Naan) in Mariyaan as he felt absolutely confident that Yuvan’s voice would be ideal for the song. “As it turned out, it has come out the way I expected it to be,” Rahman said."

To tell an Indian that his music sounds "exotic" ignores the difference between the North Indian style of music, which has Persian roots, and South India's more Dravidian tones

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...#ixzz2tAOIrkRk

Just to add it has been discussed in most blogs that when tea kadais' used to play only hindi songs (Despite talented MSV all existed in same period) and raja comes changes everything makes to listen tamil songs.

Now what will happen to tamil music after 10 years or more?

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 am

The above fb video led me to Violin Prabhakar's fb page and found this interesting video.
See how well he translates IR's tamil to tamil !!!!
Very funny dig by IR on the keyboard/synth beats :-)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1519648588260267

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Punnaimaran Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:14 pm

இயக்குனர் பாலுமகேதிரா மரணம். முதல் இரண்டு தவிர்த்து, இறுதி வரையில் நம் ராசாவின் இசையையே தன் திரைப் படங்களுக்குப் பயன்படுத்திய ஒரு மிகச் சிறந்த படைப்பாளி. May his soul Rest In Peace.
Punnaimaran
Punnaimaran

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm

kiru wrote:The above fb video led me to Violin Prabhakar's fb page and found this interesting video.
See how well he translates IR's tamil to tamil !!!!
Very funny dig by IR on the keyboard/synth beats :-)

Thanks for sharing.  It's a good suggestion - which IR made - but idhellam nadakapordha namma naatu-la.  Our arasiyalvadis are too busy with other things, like damaging Parliament property at taxpayer expense.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Charulatha Mani's next article, sAramathi 

It is Ilayaraja who gave this raga a place of pride in film music. In the film Sindhubhairavi he took the bold step of setting Thyagaraja's Kambhoji masterpiece ‘Marimari ninne’ to Saramati, and also the riveting ‘Padariyen padippariyen’ in the same raga. This was as a counter to the kriti ‘Marimari ninne’, driving home the point (in the movie) that when sung in Tamil, classical music can reach a wider audience. Ilayaraja has brought out the grandeur of the raga in the folk tune ‘Padariyen’ and crowned it with glittering swaras. The grammar is impeccable and the conception brilliant. This cherished piece is the result of the maestro’s genius and Chitra’s musical prowess.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:55 pm

My writeup about Balu Mahendra - Illayaraja combination

http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/raja-in-tune-with-balu-mahendras-vision/

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:00 am

yeah.. Raja makes very good suggestion.
Does Raja want to start western violin school ?
Just start in a small scale - 6 students in Foundation course - Ilayaraja's  Western Violin school!
Profit organization.
Think of a small number of students,  derive a curriculum, think of fees-rates, logistics, equipments-instruments, management needs.

Govt or private folks will wait & see the momentum before funding anyway.
Let your dream of  strong and souring violin culture emerge! Smile
or
the least you have passed on your talent to a small group of students! Very Happy 

Carnatic world has some amazing talents like Rajeev Mukundan, Akkarai Sisters and more.
Out of the World Carnatic melody makers , the most beautiful and expressive! I love you

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=737882179555734

Super video!
Embar Kannan is still young, he is only in upper 30s!
Embar Kannan pride & joy of  music world! I love you 

Anything about IR found on the net - Vol 2 - Page 21 Empty
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I dont think IR is in that kind of mode.. starting/teaching.. he is always in a 'create' mode..
We can easily mistake it for selfish/arrogance.. but the fact is .. his brain is overflowing with ideas.. he has no time for these sort of things..
Sometime, he does not even have time for some politeness, friendly conversations etc..
The carnatic thing is very different I think.. our musicians are not trained in wcm..that is IR's point ..  I think Guitar Prasanna's college is a better option.
IR is providing on the job training .. first learning himself .. and then teaching to his team..
Only these days .. people are paying for playing/recording outside India with wcm artistes..
IR is a different personality .. we are always looking at him with a normal lens..(notice.. how Violin Prabhakar handles IR's impatience/even some provocative statements from him !!!)
We do not have a composer with this level of genius in India at the moment .. (whether we like his songs or not or whether he is awarded or not)

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:My writeup about Balu Mahendra - Illayaraja combination

http://onlyraja.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/raja-in-tune-with-balu-mahendras-vision/

Great post Sureshji!

And awesome songs you've picked the clap

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Raja has been  expressing this wish for sometime.
Small scale - only WC  Violin school to begin with is a pragmatic and feasible idea, considering his age, health and the resources involved.
I read this article
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=20111118282308200.htm&date=fl2823/&prd=fline&
Rahman is pointing that most of the  students come with an agenda to learn some tips & finds hard to get people to play stringed instrument.
Sad.

Last edited by baroque on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Raaga_Suresh wrote:My writeup about Balu Mahendra - Illayaraja combination

Amazing write-up Suresh ji with some excellent song selections the clap Even without listening, just at the mention of the song name and the video they play automatically in my minds with the visuals, not just the song which I would say is the best part of any Balu Mahendra film song. Except Mahendran sir, no one else would come closer in that aspect. I loved the way you classified his theme into four parts. Really wonderful to read.

Back to top Go down

Post  V_S Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 pm

kiru wrote:I dont think IR is in that kind of mode.. starting/teaching.. he is always in a 'create' mode..
We can easily mistake it for selfish/arrogance.. but the fact is .. his brain is overflowing with ideas.. he has no time for these sort of things..
Sometime, he does not even have time for some politeness, friendly conversations etc..
The carnatic thing is very different I think.. our musicians are not trained in wcm..that is IR's point ..  I think Guitar Prasanna's college is a better option.
IR is providing on the job training .. first learning himself .. and then teaching to his team..
Only these days .. people are paying for playing/recording outside India with wcm artistes..
IR is a different personality .. we are always looking at him with a normal lens..(notice.. how Violin Prabhakar handles IR's impatience/even some provocative statements from him  !!!)
We do not have a composer with this level of genius in India at the moment .. (whether we like his songs or not or whether he is awarded or not)
Nicely expressed kiru. thumbsup This is IR in a nutshell. 

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

some book review on indhu paper

பல பலசாலிகள் இணைந்து ஒரு பலவீன குழுவை அமைக்கும் பரிதாபங்கள் இங்கு அதிகம் நிகழ்கின்றன. எப்படி? சொல்கிறேன்... சரி, ஒரு சினிமா உதாரணம் சொல்லி நாளாயிற்றே!

பாரதிராஜா மண் சார்ந்த படைப்பாளிகளில் மேதை. மணிரத்னம் அழகியலுடன் வர்த்தக வெற்றிப் படங்கள் கொடுப்பவர். செல்வராஜ் தமிழில் ஐம்பதுக்கும் மேற்பட்ட வெற்றிப்படங்களுக்கு வலுவான கதைகள் தந்தவர். ஏ.ஆர். ரஹ்மான் உலகளவில் இந்திய இசையை எடுத்துச் சென்றவர். தவிர முக்கிய கதாபாத்திரங்கள் அனைத்தும் (நாயகன், நாயகி நீங்கலாக) தேர்ந்த நடிகர்கள் ஏற்றுச் செய்தவை. ஆயினும் தாஜ்மகால் தோல்விப்படம் ஆனது.

தனிநபர்களின் பலத்தைக் குழுவின் பலமாக மாற்றும் ரசவாதம் நிகழும்போது தான் நாயகன் போன்ற படங்கள் பிறக்கின்றன. காரணம் நாயகன் படம் இயக்குநர் மணி ரத்னத்தின் நிர்வாகத்திறமைக்கான சான்று. கமல்ஹாசன், பி.சி. ராம், பாலகுமாரன், இளையராஜா, தோட்டாதரணி போன்றோரின் பலத்தை மிகச் சிறப்பாக இசைவுத்தன்மையோடு பயன்படுத்தியதுதான் நாயகனின் வெற்றி.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Raaga_Suresh Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks app and V_S

Raaga_Suresh

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 pm

I can't comment on Prasanna's music college. Very Happy
He may be founding person of his school, now he has grown, possibly he is answerable to a board! 
Raja doing job training for couple of  well deserving students, may be from Prasanna's school, he can do out of good-will in his own time & convenience! 
Adukku edhukku funding, logistics or Govt help? Smile
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  jaiganesh Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 am

https://chords.wiki.zoho.com/Kannan-Vandhu---Rettai-Vaal-Kuruvi.html

jaiganesh

Back to top Go down

Post  D22_Malar Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Wonderful analysis/post about BM & IR works together Raaga_suresh sir.
'Pangunikkapuram' I have never heard of this song,  Embarassed 

Excellent songs selection, what a legacy they have created. Amazing !
D22_Malar
D22_Malar

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 pm

JeMo's rAsA appreciation, again

Jeyamohan wrote:
இந்த மாபெரும் முயற்சியை என் குருவடிவமாக இன்றுள்ளவர்களில் முக்கியமானவரான இளையராஜா அவர்களை நேரில் சென்று பாதம் தொட்டு வணங்கி ஆசிபெற்று எழுதத் தொடங்கினேன். முதல்நாவலை அவருக்கு சமர்ப்பணம் செய்கிறேன்.

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

baroque wrote:Raja has been  expressing this wish for sometime.
Small scale - only WC  Violin school to begin with is a pragmatic and feasible idea, considering his age, health and the resources involved.
I read this article
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=20111118282308200.htm&date=fl2823/&prd=fline&
Rahman is pointing that most of the  students come with an agenda to learn some tips & finds hard to get people to play stringed instrument.
Sad.

baroque.. dont get me wrong..are you trying to say IR is just talking while Rahman is doing it.
It is ok .. lots of people have this impression IR is mean .. IR is not philanthropic etc
This is the impression I wanted to break in my previous response.
I guess if you think he is mean and not philanthropic/charitiable, as an ardent IR fan I should not take it personally. You have right to your opinion.
But my point is he is a different personality. He is a strong 'individual contributor' .. not a 'manager' like Rahman.
He does not have the contacts or the organizational skill of Rahman.. He just knows to compose .. that is all.
Speaking of Rahman . I really dont understand him. He says - "Since the time I stepped into music, I had this dream of having a symphony orchestra with my own musicians."
Yet he is the one who single-handedly rang the death knell for the orchestra in tamil film music industry .. doing everything with his synths and Apple workstations in his home studio..
'He said he is more into "world music" (than in 'orchestral' music .. implicitly) , He even showed blatant signs of inspiration from world music pioneer Peter Gabriel.
But why this sudden fascination with orchestra ? !!!!
Contrast this with the 'proud/arrogant' IR introducing Hungarian Jazz musicians on stage .. 'naanum karthikum are learning Jazz from them' !!!!
In my books, Raja's songs are worth more than crores of charities from other people !! .. Learn to play his song ... it is going to school .. atleast that is how I learnt whatever little that could get into my 'sangeetha gnana soonya brain'.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 am

I am not saying any of these nasty things. Very Happy
I just highlighted a passage from Rahman's interview to show, by doing only WCM-Violin school, Raja may  have upper hand in enrolling folks who are serious to learn & perform not to mention it is pragmatic too.
Prasanna's school idea, what I think, I have posted for you.
I can't comment on Prasanna's school option.
For couple of  deserving, graduating kids, Raja can help out on his own. He doesn't need any outside help or funds or logistics.
relax... Smile

Last edited by baroque on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:21 am

It's not a long term solution, though.  In Europe, lot of kids used to learn classical music in school, they probably still do.  That's the only way to create a 'culture' of Western classical music appreciation.  Before advent of keyboards, at least violinist had other avenues apart from recording in film songs, like playing live concerts with different troupes.  Now demand for that also has gone down.  While ARR's efforts to set up a WCM academy in India is commendable, it's still just a drop in the ocean.  SOI (Symphony Orchestra of India) also has similar school(s), I think.  But we need a few more to really turn the tide.  And also a sizable audience in major cities who are interested in listening to performances of WCM and pay upwards of 500-1000 for a concert.  For eg, in Mumbai, the WCM circuit would collapse without Parsi patronage.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  kiru Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:38 am

@baroque - no problem .. no offence meant :-)
@CK - who is starting the computer schools ? :-) if there is demand for that kind of music, there will be people to start schools. But I am a little pessimistic about WCM becoming popular in India. Our own music tradition and heritiage is too strong and almost 'ingrained' in an Indian's mind, it is difficult for them to appreciate the polyphonic sounds of WCM. All the WCM heavy songs of IR are never as popular as the tune heavy ones.

kiru

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 am

kiru wrote:@baroque  - no problem .. no offence meant :-)
@CK - who is starting the computer schools ? :-) if there is demand for that kind of music, there will be people to start schools. But I am a little pessimistic about WCM becoming popular in India. Our own music tradition and heritiage is too strong and almost 'ingrained' in an Indian's mind, it is difficult for them to appreciate the polyphonic sounds of WCM. All the WCM heavy songs of IR are never as popular as the tune heavy ones.

Oh yes, they are! People just don't realize they are WCM based.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  baroque Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 am

Kiru,
Glad , enjoy songs!
baroque
baroque

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next