Ilayaraja and Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

+23
baroque
plum
Thirukovur Balaji Prasad
Bala (Karthik)
Wizzy
Balu
jaiganesh
crimson king
raja4ever
Raaga_Suresh
writeface
fring151
Kr
kiru
ravinat
Drunkenmunk
rajkumarc
kv
isaifan
V_S
MumbaiRamki
app_engine
sagi
27 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin - Page 10 Empty Re: Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

Post  plum Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:28 pm

LOL at plum
kadaisila nAn sonnadhukku sirikkAma ennaya pArthu sirikkiRangalEbbA Evil or Very Mad 

Kidding, got what you meant.
Basically, it's a storm in a tea cup.

BR is sensitive.
SRK Fans, AamirKhan fans, ARR fans have all at one time or other given him huge doses

podhuvA, ellAraiyum sErthhu dhAn sonnAr avar indha articlela

Someone interpreted it as against IR fans

avLo dhAn.

Other than that, BR has got this ego now that, nAn tempo ellam vechu kadaththi, corporate job resign paNNi critic Agi irukkEn, ninga yAruda comment spacela enna solRadhunnu

So, his views get coloured by reactions of people. Next time he deals with a product/creation, views on what fans of XYZ involved with the product said, and the need to counter them or go against them, influences brangar.

Instead of being a honest reaction, it becomes like the stock market, influenced by environmental factors.
And as Munk quoted me, namma pasanga pichai eduthadhu vAstahvam dhAn, eduthirukkAnga

idhu pOga,

1. ARR fans arent a factor at all - sondhamA oru karuthhum solla mudiyAdhavanga
2. If it is true that ARR and his tards have deliberately conspired to claim invention and patent for all musical techniques, deliberately underplaying IR's achievements, then I am happy
Because as I said once, When he got success after success, Hitler got the idea of World Domination, Supremacy of Aryan Race etc. Rest is History
3. kadavuL irukkAn kumAru, God Sees The Truth But Waits, that's from Tolstoy, no less
4. This article is so light weight from BR. I cant plce my finger on it but there is a glaring logical error somewhere there

plum

Back to top Go down

Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin - Page 10 Empty Re: Onaayum Aattukkuttiyum (The wolf and the lamb) - Mysskin

Post  plum Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:28 pm

LOL at plum
kadaisila nAn sonnadhukku sirikkAma ennaya pArthu sirikkiRangalEbbA Evil or Very Mad 

Kidding, got what you meant.
Basically, it's a storm in a tea cup.

BR is sensitive.
SRK Fans, AamirKhan fans, ARR fans have all at one time or other given him huge doses

podhuvA, ellAraiyum sErthhu dhAn sonnAr avar indha articlela

Someone interpreted it as against IR fans

avLo dhAn.

Other than that, BR has got this ego now that, nAn tempo ellam vechu kadaththi, corporate job resign paNNi critic Agi irukkEn, ninga yAruda comment spacela enna solRadhunnu

So, his views get coloured by reactions of people. Next time he deals with a product/creation, views on what fans of XYZ involved with the product said, and the need to counter them or go against them, influences brangar.

Instead of being a honest reaction, it becomes like the stock market, influenced by environmental factors.
And as Munk quoted me, namma pasanga pichai eduthadhu vAstahvam dhAn, eduthirukkAnga

idhu pOga,

1. ARR fans arent a factor at all - sondhamA oru karuthhum solla mudiyAdhavanga
2. If it is true that ARR and his tards have deliberately conspired to claim invention and patent for all musical techniques, deliberately underplaying IR's achievements, then I am happy
Because as I said once, When he got success after success, Hitler got the idea of World Domination, Supremacy of Aryan Race etc. Rest is History
3. kadavuL irukkAn kumAru, God Sees The Truth But Waits, that's from Tolstoy, no less
4. This article is so light weight from BR. I cant plce my finger on it but there is a glaring logical error somewhere there

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:56 pm

There is an unspoken tone of guilt in that post of his,as if he wonders if he had some pre conceived bias but is trying to rationalise it.  I read Sudhish Kamath's review and it too does not mention anything about the BGM.  I fully understand that they are entitled to their likes and dislikes and there is no need to ask them why no mention and all that.  But these folks are in the business of writing movie reviews and would be well aware of how Myskin has promoted the film...i.e putting double-triple emphasis on the fact that the movie has no songs and IR's music is the main cast of the film (he has even repeated this in his interviews, apart from offering it for download or as free CD).   Especially considering that BR later dismissed the "munanni isai" title as marketing hype, I would have expected that to be sufficient provocation for them to write something about the BGM, even unfavourably.   That BR only mentioned that IR wrote the BGM and Kamath did not even mention it makes me wonder if perhaps they had gone in with an expectation that IR's BGM would be epic fail (or some such internet lingo, if you will) and felt unable to pick holes in a technically accomplished piece of work.  I have not watched the film by the way and I have no idea if the BGM was intruding or did not keep up with the pace of the film or was simply excellent.  I am prepared to give both reviewers the benefit of doubt but I would not be surprised if they had intended to trash the BGM and not being able to do so, decided to just skip it altogether.  That BR opined in his GVM interview that "only a handful of devotees still keeping up the faith" also suggests that this might be the case.

Last edited by crimson king on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:17 pm

crimson king wrote: I am prepared to give both reviewers the benefit of doubt but I would not be surprised if they had intended to trash the BGM and not being able to do so, decided to just skip it altogether.  That BR opened in his GVM interview that "only a handful of devotees still keeping up the faith" also suggests that this might be the case.
+1

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I've read the BRangan blog post & comments.

That he chose to pick OA as an ejjAmple to hit out at fans makes something very clear to me :

He is in a "praise MR-ARR" mode. (Translate : Badmouth IR, irritate IRFs)
Plus, "stir-up-controversy-to-get-hits-and-comments-and-attention-etc" mode.

A person too lazy to qualify for his chosen profession (of movie reviewing) and also very clearly with ulterior motives now! At this point of time, except for his englees (which is obviously better), he isn't any better than milliblog kind of reviews.

All IMHO Smile

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Now, when I look at how the BRangan article had appeared in "The Hindu", my irritation is multifold :
http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/cinema-columns/dancing-about-architecture/article5225016.ece?homepage=true

The fellows had a BIG PIC of OA BGM artwork Shocked

BRangan has officially joined the kaLLa gumbal (led by MR, chamchAs like singer srini etc), no doubt about it!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  app_engine Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I will go even one step further, BRangan is possibly paid by anti-IR group to write this piece for the leading newspaper! (It is not just a blog-explanation-of-his-stand but an article on Hindu paper, you see!)

The TF mEl thattu gumbal (AVM-KB-and their current equivalents) who struggled hard during late 80's & early 90's to displace IR from the top (and successfully carried that out with the help of ARR-Deva in mid 90's) is now aghast that NEPV happened last year and this year another new wave director is putting rAsA music in the forefront (incorrectly translated as "foreground"). Also, the gumbal is worried that rAsA is more visible in the media recently - kumudam badhilkaL, worldwide concerts etc...

Well, the gumbal continues to have overwhelming support from TV channels. (e.g. SS4 of Vijay TV).

Unfortunately, other media & internet is somewhat pro-IR of late. (Though only handful of IRFs are still active around, they are pretty vocal). kaLLa gumbal cannot tolerate it and is trying to get BRangan in their payroll.

First anti-NEPV article, some pro-ARR writings, MR-Bio and now attack on OA.

Well, nadakkattum!

app_engine

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizzy Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:44 pm

^there is a marked up change in him after he joined Mt road Mahavishnu Suspect may be watching new tamil movie every friday does 
this to people Smile 

ARR fans arent a factor at all - sondhamA oru karuthhum solla mudiyAdhavanga
ellam chorus padigal thaen Smile now expecting another interview from AR/cronies that he was THE md in tamil who did foreground music whilst others were content with background scores. with the rate of knots at with ARtards drop Zimmers name to seek refuge whenever his stature as a composer is questioned makes me think whether the said quote is one of of many cooked up media creation by his accountant team.
Wizzy
Wizzy

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:56 pm

I wouldn't say he was particularly anti-NEPV...as in, IR's work for it.  He praised Sattru Munbu lavishly and said it was on a loop in his system.  He was just unduly skeptical of the idea of signing up IR for an apparently 'hip' project.  And when I read it (the interview) again, it is not that the questions by themselves are so unjustified (because GVM too said his team wanted him to sign up a new MD if ARR didn't have the dates and we know of the Eldred-GVM controversy).   But his lengthy preface claiming not to worship at IR's church anymore and all that set a bad tone.  It is not very professional to go on and on about one's preferences when the chief subject matter is an interview.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:48 pm

app, cool davun, cool davun. avLovellAm  brangan doesnt have sAdhuryam. He just has got his ego too big now

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:51 pm

"nAn tempovellAm vechu kadaththi, corporate vElaiya vittuttu reviewer Agi irukkEn. ondrayaNA pasanga comment spacela vandhu kutham kaNdu pidikkaRANgaLE"
More we react, more he'll go anti IR. Ignore him.

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah....I don't think people necessarily need to be paid to write biased stuff against music artists.  I don't want to go on and on about my West-erly experiences...but...see, people like app have seen IR at his peak and they probably think a great artist would necessarily get his due recognition.  I am all too aware after appreciating several underrated artists that that is sadly not the case.  Especially the women...the usual vitriol is spiced up with barely disguised sexism. It's horrible, I can't even imagine how much they must love music to keep going in spite of these things.   

I remember around the time Solla Marandha Kadhai released, a TV programme had an anchor asking some college girls who was their piddikatha composer and when they said Ilayaraja, my blood boiled.  Not anymore...I simply don't care, go to hell, man, it's your loss and I don't need your certification to like and keep listening to IR's music.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  irfan123 Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

to add to fire of kumbals have to see how IR comes up with "un samayal arayil", "happi", "rudradevi". now he might take the score to different path and others will be scrambling and scratching their heads how to do "same kind of music". :lol:someone asked after all the trashing by BR (bharathiraja not baradwaj:lol: ) he simply said "paithiyakaran pechukalam naan bathil solvathilai" and simply continued his work.

irfan123

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Ignoring is the best thing to do. But as Kiru says, who is to stop the IRtards who go begging Milli, Sudhish or BR to re-review. I am sure it must piss them off and no wonder they are reacting.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:29 am

crimson king wrote:I remember around the time Solla Marandha Kadhai released, a TV programme had an anchor asking some college girls who was their piddikatha composer and when they said Ilayaraja, my blood boiled.  Not anymore...I simply don't care, go to hell, man, it's your loss and I don't need your certification to like and keep listening to IR's music.
LOL. Tell me about it. I have a couple of cousins who would possibly give that answer. It's amazing how some people summarily dismiss IR as Graamathaan, folk composer, oldie composer etc. I know some who even refuse to like or appreciate even  Pon MAlai pozhudhu or Valayosai as good songs -just outright rejection and dismissal and derision for IR and all his creations. And I am not one to argue with such people or attempt to proselytize.

Btw, this might be a gross generalization, but I notice that there are vastly more men (in their 20s and 30s) who like IR compared to the ladies and gaels, who almost overwhelmingly are (only) ARR fans and especially his Hindi works. I have noticed this particularly among the youth hip crowd-at least in Chennai. Sorry if that is offensive or patronizing or wrong thread. I know there are ardent fans like Ushaji even on this forum, but this is something that I have observed for a few years and has intrigued me, so just thinking aloud here.

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 am

podhuvA elite girls dont like IR. ippollAM Anirudh has become a big draw.
The only advantage for ARR is he can dress up like a rockstar even at 70 so elite people wont find him rustic.

I was telling in twitter about my m in law, who very genuinely asked heartfelt "ithnA kAlA hai, yeh kaisa hero ban gaya" about Dhanush while enjoying Ranbir's besharam antics, despite the latter being tharai ticket range.

It's all about looks and poli sophistication for these folks

OTOH, my driver, all of 23, knows several obscure eighties and nineties Raja songs. And I had nothing to do with it, being as tech phobic and barely with an IR collection with me to influence anyone.

Our domestic help has only IR ringtones. She'll be around 30. The reason for these people is that, IR's music touches their lives, it expresses their feelings, not being readers of literature, they need some high art to express their feelings, and IR's music performs that function.

They dont find the world peace music relevant , they dont find the club music necessary.

Let's wait out a generation or two, it is deep art that will survive. Superficial art - aNdavan aLli aLLi koduppAn AnA kadaisila kai vittiruvan

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:30 am

podhuvA elite girls dont like IR. ippollAM Anirudh has become a big draw.
The only advantage for ARR is he can dress up like a rockstar even at 70 so elite people wont find him rustic.

I was telling in twitter about my m in law, who very genuinely asked heartfelt "ithnA kAlA hai, yeh kaisa hero ban gaya" about Dhanush while enjoying Ranbir's besharam antics, despite the latter being tharai ticket range.

OTOH, my driver, all of 23, knows several obscure eighties and nineties Raja songs. And I had nothing to do with it, being as tech phobic and barely with an IR collection with me to influence anyone.

Our domestic help has only IR ringtones. She'll be around 30. The reason for these people is that, IR's music touches their lives, it expresses their feelings, not being readers of literature, they need some high art to express their feelings, and IR's music performs that function.

They dont find the world peace music relevant , they dont find the club music necessary.

Let's wait out a generation or two, it is deep art that will survive. Superficial art - aNdavan aLli aLLi koduppAn AnA kadaisila kai vittiruvan

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:40 am

I actually have a net friend who is such a staunch 80s IR fan that she won't even bite into NEPV.   But in general, what I have seen is women tend to react to music as it comes.  They don't break down the composer's style and then go looking for more of his work.   My cousin who lives in USA is like that.   She has obviously heard some of the big ARR hits.  Once when we were on a visit to Chennai, the cabbie played Poova Eduthu Oru and she said she really liked it.  But she never followed up on it and asked for more songs, which is what I do if somebody introduces me to a musician I didn't know and might like.   And since ARR is the 'story' of the last two decades, it is easy to see why women in their 20s and 30s tend to get into his music rather than Ilayaraja.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:44 am

plum wrote:Let's wait out a generation or two, it is deep art that will survive. Superficial art - aNdavan aLli aLLi koduppAn AnA kadaisila kai vittiruvan
It's not world peace music, it is this boring thing called 'international music' that labels have tried to promote since the 80s to capture the global market.   That is the time artists like Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael and Bryan Adams hit the big time and that seems to be the music ARR likes (as per the Debjyoti Mishra interview).   Western music hasn't yet fully recovered from the damage it did by throwing British and American songwriting traditions out of the window for one unified glossy but cliched flavour.  And we are seeming the same in HFM and TFM now, especially the last 10 years.  I am disappointed to an extent that a gifted musician like ARR (who could apparently dismantle and reassemble musical instruments all of his own as a kid) would like international music of all the things in the world.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  plum Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:48 am

Right, me being uninitiated into 80s pop, gave that label World Peace Music to it. Imagine, growing up in an elite environment in Chennai, I steered absolutely clear of this genre. What a blessing. epdi nadandhuchEnnE theriyala : app, who grew up in a village, got exposed to MJ et al. I havent even heard a MJ song, can you believe that? Forget being enamoured by it, I have not even come across it.

These are the few blessings that God has showered me upon

plum

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:51 am

lol....not that world peace music is too far off the mark because songs like We are the world also fall in this genre.  Rarely have so many singers have been used to amount to so little impact.   Twisted Evil   

Ditto...I did know about say Celine Dion in the 90s (even enjoyed one of her concerts on TV *gulp*) but never got too far with her music.  I was aware of a lot of popular music of the 90s and most of it never clicked for me.   And I gradually slid into IR-appreciation.  Smile

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:33 am

plum wrote:podhuvA elite girls dont like IR. ippollAM Anirudh has become a big draw.

That's what I have suspected all along. More than the music, it is the image of the composer that seems to sway a lot of the elite youth, and particularly the gaels. CK's point that they don't generally actively seek out a composer's works is interesting - I had never thought about it. Funnily enough there's this other modern, ultra elite girl I know who is a HUGE fan of U1 (even his singing), but IR is still taboo - II wonder if she heard Mugilo Wink .  I also think IR's 'Saamiyaar' appearance, rustic, 'unpolished' conversational style and perceived arrogance also puts these people off. The cousins I mentioned even dig non-ARR post 2000s HFM (nothing pre-ARR mind you), but IR - not a chance. I wonder whether they heard NEPV, given GM's association, but I doubt it.

crimson king wrote:It's not world peace music, it is this boring thing called 'international music' that labels have tried to promote since the 80s to capture the global market.   That is the time artists like Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael and Bryan Adams hit the big time and that seems to be the music ARR likes (as per the Debjyoti Mishra interview).   Western music hasn't yet fully recovered from the damage it did by throwing British and American songwriting traditions out of the window for one unified glossy but cliched flavour.  And we are seeming the same in HFM and TFM now, especially the last 10 years.  I am disappointed to an extent that a gifted musician like ARR (who could apparently dismantle and reassemble musical instruments all of his own as a kid) would like international music of all the things in the world.
In another interview he seemed to be very happy that he was collaborating with international artists like Akon and Kylie Minogue Shocked . Why, ARR?Why?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  fring151 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 am

And nejamAve Anirudh drawva'nga? Na ennamo summa ellarum avana oru comedy piece'a - oru time pass'a pAkkarAnganu dhaan nenechittrindhEn. HCAFs lAm kooda irrukAngalA ippo?

fring151

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:20 am

fring151 wrote:n another interview he seemed to be very happy that he was collaborating with international artists like Akon and Kylie Minogue Shocked . Why, ARR?Why?
Well, Vishal Shekhar used Akon for that Chammak Chalo song so ARR can hardly be seen as less 'hip' than them, can he?  Look, it's clear the man has let go of any convictions he might have had in the beginning and will try his best to please everyone.  If that means calling Atif Aslam the spiritual successor to Mohd Rafi, he will probably do that as well.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  crimson king Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 am

fring151 wrote:And nejamAve Anirudh drawva'nga? Na ennamo summa ellarum avana oru comedy piece'a - oru time pass'a pAkkarAnganu dhaan nenechittrindhEn. HCAFs lAm kooda irrukAngalA ippo?
Beliebers-ku sariyana potti dhan HCAFs.

crimson king

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next